Four and a half miles southwest was born Cyrus Griffin, July 16, 1748. Educated in England, he served in the Virginia House of Delegates, 1777–8, 1786–7. He was a member of the Continental Congress, 1787–1788., in which last year . . . — — Map (db m23569) HM
This is the church of North Farnham Parish, built about 1737. In 1814, a skirmish was fought here between the raiders from Admiral Cockburn’s British fleet and Virginia militia; bullet holes are still visible in the walls. The church was used as a . . . — — Map (db m23606) HM
The Northern Neck Baptist Association established the Northern Neck Industrial Academy in 1898 through financial contributions from local black Baptist churches. The academy opened approximately three miles to the west on Route 608 at Oak Hill Farm . . . — — Map (db m23587) HM
Area 204 Square Miles
Formed in 1692 from Old Rappahannock County, and named for the town of Richmond, Surrey, England. Sabine Hall and Mount Airy, noted old homes, are in this county.
Area . . . — — Map (db m76410) HM
In memory of the Honorable William Atkinson Jones, March 21, 1849 – April 17, 1918. United States Congress, First District of Virginia, 1890–1918.
Author, Philippine Independence Bill, 1916.
Dedicated June 20, 1926; the gift . . . — — Map (db m23532) HM
Near here is Menokin, home of Francis Lightfoot Lee, signer of the Declaration of Independence. Lee was a member of the Continental Congress from 1775 to 1779 and died at Menokin in 1797. — — Map (db m23272) HM
Prior to the 17th century, the Rappahannock Indians maintained seasonal residences on the banks of the Totuskey Creek. The fished for spawning shad and herring each spring, trapping fish in weirs in the creek’s narrows and preparing them for the . . . — — Map (db m23568) HM
Built in 1835, this church replaced the Lunenburg
Parish Lower Church (ca. 1732), abandoned after the American Revolution and the disestablishment of the Anglican Church. Different denominations occupied some colonial Anglican churches; others fell . . . — — Map (db m23530) HM
When Richmond County was formed in 1692, this place became the county seat and was known as Richmond (County) Courthouse. The present courthouse building was erected in 1748–49. The village was renamed Warsaw about 1846 in sympathy with the . . . — — Map (db m23341) HM