Near here, in 1774, stood Daniel Smith’s fort, also known as Fort Christian. The fort was named for Smith, who was a surveyor and captain of the military company on Upper Clinch River. — — Map (db m89861) HM
On the hill to the north stood Russell’s Fort, an important link in the chain of forts built to protect settlers on Clinch River in the Indian War of 1774. William Russell, who established it, was a prominent soldier of the Revolution. — — Map (db m89826) HM
Helen Timmons Henderson, born in Missouri and
raised in Tennessee, was one of the first two
women elected to Virginia’s General Assembly.
She and her husband moved to Council in 1911
when the Baptist State Mission Board of Virginia
recruited . . . — — Map (db m104934) HM
William Dorton Sr.
and his family, settled
here by 1773 and built a fort, one of
several defensive structures built by settlers
of European descent on the Virginia frontier.
Dorton's sons William Jr. Moses
fought in the Revolutionary War
and . . . — — Map (db m89847) HM
Jessee's mill is 2.5 miles north on Jessee’s Mill
Road. The first grindstone mill, mortarless
dam, and millrace were built before 1794.
Jessee, Revolutionary War musician and
infantryman, purchased the mill and lands in
1724. Handmade . . . — — Map (db m91038) HM
This building, erected in 1792, served as the
second courthouse of Russell County and is one
of the earliest public buildings still standing
in Southwest Virginia.
Russell County was
formed in 1786 from Washington County and
originally . . . — — Map (db m91034) HM
This fort was one of a string of defensive posts and protective forts that served the community of Elk Garden and isolated homes in the Clinch Valley in the 18th century. There is no known date of construction, but it is believed to have been a . . . — — Map (db m89859) HM
Near this site is the grave of Frances Dickenson
Scott Johnson (died 1796), sister of Henry
Dickenson who was the first clerk of Russell
County. In 1785, while living in Powell’s Valley
in Scott County, her first husband, Archibald
Scott, and . . . — — Map (db m91048) HM
In 1787, Isaiah Salyer (1752-1818), son of
Zachariah Salyer (1730-1789) of North Carolina
settled on Copper Creek, two miles southeast
of here. Isaiah's brothers John, Benjamin, and
Zachariah, and sisters Sarah, wife of Solomon
Saylor, and . . . — — Map (db m89849) HM
Buchanan County. Area 514 square miles. Formed in 1858 from Tazewell and Russell, and named for James Buchanan, President of the United States, 1857–1861.
Russell County. Area 496 square miles. Formed in 1786 from . . . — — Map (db m104942) HM
Musick was killed by Shawnee Indians August 12, 1792. His wife, Annie, and five children were taken captives, but were returned by White Settlers one day later. His grave marker is located about 100 yards south of here, and home site about 200 yard . . . — — Map (db m104943) HM
A short distance south stood Glade Hollow Fort, garrisoned by twenty-one men in 1774. From Witten’s to Blackmore’s, these Clinch Valley forts were the frontier defenses in Dunmore’s War, 1774. — — Map (db m89856) HM
The county government was organized at Russell’s Fort, May 9, 1786, with the following officers: Alexander Barnett, County Lieutenant; David Ward, Sheriff; Henry Dickenson, Clerk. Justices: Henry Smith, Henry Dickenson, David Ward, John Thompson, . . . — — Map (db m91042) HM
Moore’s Fort, also referred to as Byrd’s Fort, stood nearby close to the Clinch River. Built by 1774 and likely named for the owners of the property, the wooden structure served as defensive fortification for settlers of European descent on the . . . — — Map (db m89811) HM