Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, . . . — — Map (db m134428) HM
The photo shows the staff of Ast Hardware around 1915; Capt. Joseph P. Ast is second from left. In 1975, this half of the Ast building was demolished to provide an access ramp to the new parking garage, leaving the blank wall of the remaining part . . . — — Map (db m12452) HM
Established November 1, 1738 by an act of the General Assembly, Augusta County extended from the Blue Ridge Mountains on the east to the Mississippi River on the west and from the southern boundary of the Colony north to “the utmost limits of . . . — — Map (db m11757) HM
Commemorates, To Generations
Which Knew Then Not,
The Virginia Volunteers
From Augusta In The Army
Of The Confederate States.
Twenty-Two Companies From
Here Followed By Jackson And
Stuart, With Many In Other Commands.
No . . . — — Map (db m16790) HM
In Honor Of The Men And Women Of Staunton And Augusta County Who Served Their Country In The World War 1914-1918
The Unreturning Brave… They Give New Splendor to The Dead
Oscar Taylor Almarode
Thomas Fulton Armstrong . . . — — Map (db m127275) HM
This engraving of the southwest corner of downtown Staunton’s busiest intersection, Beverley and Augusta Streets, dates from about 1885. In the center is the Augusta National Bank building surrounded by older, smaller structures, most of which were . . . — — Map (db m12375) HM
This Avenue of Trees, sponsored by Clemmer-McGuffin Post 13, American Legion and Auxiliary, was given in loving memory by the people of Staunton and Augusta County in memoriam 1917-1918 — — Map (db m46281) HM
Dr. Barnas Sears, a career educator and Baptist minister, was nearly 65 years old in 1867 when he resigned as president of Brown College in Providence, Rhode Island, and moved to Staunton.
He became the agent of the Peabody Educational Fund . . . — — Map (db m134485) HM
Three and one half miles south, on Coalter Street in Staunton, is the birthplace of Thomas Woodrow Wilson, 8th Virginia-born President. New Jersey Governor, 28th President (World War I). He was chief author and sponsor of the League of Nations. Born . . . — — Map (db m12363) HM
One mile north, on Coalter Street in Staunton, is the birthplace of Thomas Woodrow Wilson, 8th Virginia-born President of the U.S., Princeton University President, New Jersey Governor, 28th President (World War I). He was chief author and sponsor of . . . — — Map (db m23076) HM
Honor to the Brave
870 Lie Here
Recorded by Name, Company & Regiment:
Virginia 385, N. Carolina 176, S. Carolina 59,
Georgia 208, Alabama 49, Florida 8,
Mississippi 11, Louisiana 19, Tennessee 12,
Arkansas 20, . . . — — Map (db m53666) HM
Dr. Humphreys (1757–1802), an important teacher in 18th-century Virginia, received his M. D. from the University of Edinburgh. He practiced medicine in Augusta County and Staunton from 1783 to 1802 in an office facing the county courthouse. . . . — — Map (db m11761) HM
This weathered stone was inscribed: “Dr. Alexander Humphreys departed this life 23 May, 1802, in the 45th year of his age.”
Born in County Armagh, Ireland, educated in medicine in Ireland, settled in Augusta County, practiced in . . . — — Map (db m11763) HM
Physician, soldier, and statesman, Dr. William Fleming (1728–1795) studied medicine in his native Scotland before practicing in Staunton from 1763 to 1768. His home stood at the crossing of New Street and Lewis Creek. Dr. Fleming’s career . . . — — Map (db m11802) HM
One mile north is the grave of John Lewis, first settler in this region, who came here in 1732 and died in 1762. He chose the site of the town of Staunton. His four sons, Thomas, Andrew, William and Charles, took an important part in the Indian and . . . — — Map (db m46282) HM
The Virginia Central Railroad extended westward from
Charlottesville to Staunton and on to Clifton Forge by 1854.
Also in the 1850s, the Covington & Ohio Railroad was under
construction to connect the railroad system to the Ohio River.
The Civil . . . — — Map (db m89502) HM
Who was John Lewis? Lewis Creek takes its name from John Lewis (1678-1762), one of the most prominent of the earliest settlers in the upper Shenandoah Valley.
In the early 1730s, Lewis and his family, who emigrated from County Donegal, . . . — — Map (db m134484) HM
The oldest college for women related to the Presbyterian Church, U. S. Founded 1842 by Rufus W. Bailey as Augusta Female Seminary; renamed in 1895 to honor Mary Julia Baldwin, pioneer woman educator and Principal, 1863–1897. — — Map (db m12366) HM
Montgomery Hall Park, a municipal park for
African Americans during the segregation era,
opened on 4 July 1947. The Rev. T. J. Jemison
of Mt. Zion Baptist Church, an African
American community leader, persuaded Staunton
City Council to purchase . . . — — Map (db m107848) HM
Bridge History and Restoration. The current bridge dates from circa 1906 when the present train station, designed by local noted architect, T. J. Collins, was erected. An earlier wooden bridge had existed on the site since 1888. The iron . . . — — Map (db m89537) HM
Near this site on April 17, 1861, approximately one hundred local citizens, many of whom had just enlisted in The Staunton Artillery, met to board trains for Harpers Ferry. They were led by prominent local citizen John D. Imboden, who would remain . . . — — Map (db m16436) HM
National Cemetery Staunton National Cemetery was established in 1867. The remains of 753 Union soldiers, of which 521 are unknown, lie here. The remains came from Staunton and Waynesboro city cemeteries, and the battlefields at Cross Keys, . . . — — Map (db m134427) HM
When the Central Virginia Railroad was built in 1854, it changed Staunton from a rural village into a booming center of commerce. By the turn of the century, the warehouses that had grown up around the train depot supplied everything from fresh . . . — — Map (db m58956) HM
Chartered on 13 January 1744 as the Virginia Female Institute, Stuart Hall is Virginia’s oldest college preparatory school for girls. The Rev. Dr. Richard H. Phillips headed the school from 1848 until 1880. Flora Cooke Stuart, “Mrs. . . . — — Map (db m12372) HM
“The beauty of a city is largely dependent upon the artistic ideas and abilities of its architects and Staunton is certainly to be congratulated on having in its midst that eminent firm of architects, T.J. Collins & Son. whose work is . . . — — Map (db m11759) HM
Relocated from its original site approximately fifty miles to the south on Little Patterson’s Creek in Botetourt County, Virginia, the Barger home, immediately in front of you, is an operational pre-Civil War farmstead from the Valley of Virginia. . . . — — Map (db m16653) HM
This Stone covers the mortal remains of the Hon. Archibald Stuart. He died on the 11th day of July (d1832) aged 75 years 3 m. and 22 days. Merits the tribute of grateful remembrance having performed well his part in life.
When a youth, he . . . — — Map (db m11776) HM
A state residential school created by an act of the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Virginia on March 31, 1838 for the purpose of educating the deaf and the blind children of the state. — — Map (db m11797) HM
Known originally as Augusta Parish Church, it was founded in 1746 as the county parish. The Virginia General Assembly met here in June 1781 to avoid capture by British raiders. The present church was erected in 1855 and was used by the Virginia . . . — — Map (db m11782) HM
has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States. U. S. . . . — — Map (db m58590) HM