Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Washington County Virginia Historical Markers

 
Abingdon Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, May 29, 2011
Abingdon Marker
Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — K-49 — Abingdon
On West Main Street (U.S. 11) near Cummings Street (U.S. 58).
First known as Wolf Hills, land was patented here by Dr. Thomas Walker in 1750. Black's Fort was built, 1776. The town of Abingdon was established in 1778 as the county seat of Washington County. A courthouse, built about 1800, was replaced in 1850. . . . — Map (db m7805) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — Abingdon in the Civil WarWyatt's Revenge — Stoneman's Raid —
On West Main Street (U.S. 11) at Cummings Street SW (Alternate U.S. 58), on the right when traveling east on West Main Street.
(preface) On December 1, 1864, Union Gen. George Stoneman led 5,700 cavalrymen east from Knoxville, Tennessee, to destroy iron-, lead-, and saltworks in Virginia that were essential to the Confederate war effort. After actions at Kingsport . . . — Map (db m67298) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — K-53 — Barter Theatre
On West Main Street (U.S. 11) at Partington Place, on the right when traveling north on West Main Street.
The Barter Theatre building was constructed about 1830 as a church, which was remodeled several times. Among the oldest theaters in America, the building hosted its first performance in 1876. During the Great Depression of the 1930s, Robert . . . — Map (db m45236) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — Battle of Kings MountainSouth Carolina – 7 Oct 1780
Near Colonial Road SW east of Reedy Creek Road, on the right when traveling east.
Major William Edmiston. William Edmiston was named by General William Campbell as the commanding officer of the Virginia Militia at the Battle of King’s Mountain SC. Known for bravery under fire Major Edmiston ordered his troops up the mountain . . . — Map (db m46267) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — K-50 — Boyhood Home of Gen. Joseph E. Johnston
On West Main Street (U.S. 11) 0.1 miles north of Wall Street South, on the right when traveling north.
Born in Prince Edward Co. on 3 Feb. 1807, Joseph Eggleston Johnston, the son of Judge Peter Johnston, moved a mile north of here with his family in 1811. He attended Abingdon Male Academy and graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in . . . — Map (db m45330) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — Confederate General John Hunt Morgan
On Russell Road NW.
Confederate General John Hunt Morgan, "The Thunderbolt of the Confederacy" was placed here in the Martin tomb for a short time after his death in Greeneville, Tennessee on September 4. 1864. General Morgan's funeral was the largest Abingdon had . . . — Map (db m104883) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — K-58 — Governor David Campbell
On Cummings Street (Alternate U.S. 58) at Mont Calm Street, on the right when traveling north on Cummings Street.
David Campbell was born in Aug. 1779 at Royal Oak in Washington County (present-day Smyth County), Virginia. His family eventually moved to Hall's Bottom outside Abingdon. Campbell served in the infantry during the War of 1812 and was promoted to . . . — Map (db m45323) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — K-59 — Governor John B. Floyd
On West Main Street (U.S. 11) north of Partington Place, on the right when traveling north.
John Buchanan Floyd, son of Governor John Floyd (1738-1837), was born in Montgomery County on 1 June 1806. He represented Washington County in the Virginia House of Delegates (1847-1849) and served as governor of Virginia (1849-1852). Floyd was . . . — Map (db m45027) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — K-57 — Green Spring Presbyterian Church
On Green Springs Church Road (County Route 665) at Green Spring Road (Virginia Route 75) on Green Springs Church Road.
Green Spring Presbyterian Church was organized by 1784 and met in a log structure that stood east of here. The present church location has been in use since about 1794 when James Montgomery deeded the property to the congregation as long as its . . . — Map (db m104889) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — K-61 — John Campbell
On Cummings Street (Alternate U.S. 58) at Mont Calm Street, on the right when traveling west on Cummings Street.
John Campbell, the brother of Governor David Campbell, was born about 1788 in part of Washington County, that is present-day Smyth County. Campbell attended the College of New Jersey (later became Princeton) and Washington College. He was a member . . . — Map (db m45255) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — K-47 — King's Mountain Men
On West Main Street (U.S. 11) at Colonial Road SW, on the right when traveling north on West Main Street.
From this vicinity went forth a force of Virginians, under the command of Colonel William Campbell, to fight against the British in the Carolinas, 1780. The Virginia troops played an important part in the victory of King's Mountain, South Carolina, . . . — Map (db m45394) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — Landon BoydTreason-Trial Juror
On A Street South East at Tanner Street South East, on the right when traveling south on A Street South East.
Landon Boyd, an African American brick mason born into slavery, was an Abingdon resident. After serving in the U.S. Army during the Civil War, he lived in Richmond. In May 1867, he served on the petit jury for the U.S. District Court in Richmond . . . — Map (db m67292) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — K-56 — Martha Washington College
On West Main Street (U.S. 11) 0.1 miles north of Cummings Street (Alternate U.S. 58), on the right when traveling north.
The McCabe Lodge No. 56, Independent Order of Odd Fellows decided in 1853 to establish a women's college named after Martha Washington. The Holston Conference of the Methodist Church assumed control of the project by 1858. That same year the . . . — Map (db m45239) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — POW★MIAYou Are Not Forgotten
On Cumming Street SW at Grove Terrace Drive SW, on the right when traveling south on Cumming Street SW.
At the end of the Vietnam War (1959-1975), there were more than 2,000 servicemen and women missing in action in Vietnam, Laos and other countries in Southeast Asia. The National League of Families of American Prisoners and Missing in Southeast . . . — Map (db m67351) HM WM
Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — K-60 — Revolutionary War Muster Ground
On Colonial Road SW east of Reedy Creek Road, on the left when traveling east.
To the south at Craig’s (Dunn’s) Meadow, is the likely site of the Washington County militia’s muster ground for the Revolutionary War’s Kings Mountain Campaign. In Sept. 1780, under the com- mand of Col. William Campbell the militiamen . . . — Map (db m46264) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — K-52 — Sinking Spring Cemetery
On Russell Road NW (Alternate U.S. 58) at Valley Street NW (Alternate U.S. 58), on the left when traveling west on Russell Road NW.
In 1773, the Rev. Charles Cummings became the first minister of the Sinking Spring Presbyterian congregation, among the earliest in Southwest Virginia, and the first meetinghouse was soon constructed here of logs. The earliest marked grave in . . . — Map (db m104672) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — K-48 — Site of Black’s Fort
On Pecan Street SE at East Main Street (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling north on Pecan Street SE.
The fort, built in 1776, stood a short distance to the south. Here the first court of Washington County was held, January 28, 1777. — Map (db m45021) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — Split Rail Fence & The American Chestnut(Castanea dentata)
On Cummings Street SW at Grove Terrace Drive SW, on the right when traveling south on Cummings Street SW.
Split Rail fences were used by early pioneer families to fence in their livestock, to protect their crops from their farm animals, and to mark boundary lines. The fences were constructed out of timber logs which were split into rails. Most split . . . — Map (db m67299) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — K-54 — Stonewall Jackson Female Institute
On West Main Street (U.S. 11) at Partington Place, on the right when traveling north on West Main Street.
Sinking Spring Presbyterian Church established the institute in 1868 for the education of young women. As a tribute, it was named for Confederate Lt. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson. The Floyd family property was purchased in Feb. 1868 to house . . . — Map (db m45135) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — The Virginia Creeper
On Green Spring Road at Gibon Street SE, on the left when traveling south on Green Spring Road.
The Abingdon Branch “The Virginia Creeper” Norfolk & Western Railway’s Abingdon Branch began in 1887 as the Abingdon Coal and Iron Railroad (AC&IRR). The Virginia-Carolina Railroad (VCRR) bought the AC&IRR in 1900, and . . . — Map (db m67291) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — K-55 — Washington County Courthouse
On East Main Street (U.S. 11) west of Court Street NE.
Three earlier courthouses stood on this site, the first constructed about 1800. The present Washington County courthouse was completed in 1868, replacing the 1850 building burned by a Union soldier in Dec. 1864. The only new courthouse built in . . . — Map (db m44973) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Abington — Bronze "Yellow" Ribbon Monument"Until You're Home Again"
On Cummings Street SW at Grove Terrace Drive SW on Cummings Street SW.
Since the beginning of our nation in 1776, American service men and women have marched away to distant places, leaving friends, family and their own hopes and dreams in order that others may be free. Over the years we have used different . . . — Map (db m67305) HM WM
Virginia (Washington County), Abington — The Minutemen"Citizen Soldiers"
On Cummings Street SW at Grove Terrace Drive SW, on the right when traveling south on Cummings Street SW.
During the colonial days, Minutemen were a small hand-picked elite force of citizen soldiers who were required to be highly mobile and able to assemble quickly. Minutemen were selected from militia muster rolls by their commanding officers. . . . — Map (db m67311) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Emory — Buchanan-Blakemore House
On College Avenue (County Route 737) just north of Exit 26 (Interstate 81), on the right when traveling north.
James Augustus Buchanan commissioned the building of this home, completed in 1875. The bricks used in its construction were fired in kilns on the property. The exterior walls are three bricks deep, and the interior staircase and banister are . . . — Map (db m46242) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Emory — Donald W. Tendick, Sr., Memorial
On Oxford Avenue (County Route 609) at Linden Street (County Route 866), on the right when traveling west on Oxford Avenue.
From July 1943 to October 1945, Emory & Henry College served as a host site for the U.S. Navy’s V-5/V-12 officer training program—an intensive program of education and physical training that provided the Navy with strong, capable leaders . . . — Map (db m46207) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Emory — Emory & Henry College
Near Armbrister Drive at Garnand Drive.
Founded in 1836, the College was named for Bishop John Emory of the Methodist Church and Patrick Henry, the Orator of the American Revolution and Virginia’s first governor.

The campus has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places . . . — Map (db m120687) HM

Virginia (Washington County), Emory — Tobias Smyth House
On Garnand Drive 0.3 miles east of College Drive (County Route 737), on the left when traveling east.
Constructed circa 1770, this log structure is considered to be the birthplace of Emory & Henry College. In this house, Tobias Smyth and the Reverend Creed Fulton chose the names of John Emory and Patrick Henry for the College. Smyth, Fulton, Col. . . . — Map (db m120684) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Emory-Meadow View — I-7 — Emory and Henry College
On Lee Highway (U.S. 11) at College Drive (County Route 737), on the right when traveling south on Lee Highway.
One mile north is Emory and Henry College, founded in 1836, the first institution of higher learning in southwest Virginia. It was named for Bishop John Emory of the Methodist Church and Patrick Henry, the orator of the Revolution. Four bishops of . . . — Map (db m46245) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Glade Spring — 58-k — Fort Kilmachronan
On Lee Highway (U.S. 11) at Fleet Road (County Route 751), on the right when traveling north on Lee Highway.
The stone house, a half mile south, was an important neighborhood fort. Built in 1776 near the site of an old Indian town. State C. D. Comm No 58-k Sycamore Shoals Chapter D.A.R.Map (db m120683) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Glade Spring — Mrs. Eliza M. Jones
On Lee Highway (U.S. 11).
Sacred to the memory of Mrs. Eliza M. The wife of Lieut. W. E. Jones, U.S. Mounted Rifles. She was born on the 3rd of May 1884 in Washington County, Virginia, was married on the 15th of January 1852, and was drowned on the 26th . . . — Map (db m20414) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Green Cove — “Maud Bows to The Virginia Creeper”Photographed by Mr. O. Winston Link on this Spot October, 1956
On Green Cove Road (County Route 600) 0.2 miles south of J.E.B. Stuart Highway (U.S. 58).
This works is one of O. Winston Link’s most revered photographs. Mr. Link’s legacy is having captured the end of the “Golden Age” of the railroad in this country. His innovative techniques with light and dark were years ahead of his . . . — Map (db m65771) HM
Virginia (Washington County), Green Cove — K-62 — Green Cove Station
On Green Cove Road (Route 608) just west of Discovery Road, on the right when traveling west.
Green Cove Station was a rail stop along the “Virginia Creeper” Railroad that ran from Abingdon, Virginia, to Todd, North Carolina. Built by the Virginia Carolina Railroad about 1914, it also served as a post office, general store, and . . . — Map (db m65768) HM

32 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement