Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Washington

480 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 280
 
Granite Lake Park Marker image, Touch for more information
By Cosmos Mariner, July 13, 2016
Granite Lake Park Marker
Washington (Asotin County), Clarkston — Granite Lake Park
On October 10th, 1805, the Lewis & Clark Expedition camped across the river from this park. They called the great river flowing in from the south Lewis' River. ”The Country on either Side is an open plain leavel & Fertile …not a tree of . . . — Map (db m129075) HM
Washington (Asotin County), Clarkston — Lewis & Clark Almost Slept Here
While trekking westwards, the Lewis & Clark Expedition constructed dug-out canoes near the present-day city of Orofino. The Nee Mee Poo or Nez Perce Indians had shown the explorers how to burn out the centers of the Ponderosa pine logs. After . . . — Map (db m129063) HM
Washington (Asotin County), Clarkston — Lewis and Clark
1805 William Clark recorded in his journal that on this date: “I can observe at a distance... a high ridge of thinly timbered countrey the water of the south fork is greenish blue, the north as clear as crystial.” . . . — Map (db m120772) HM
Washington (Asotin County), Clarkston — Lewis and Clark Enter Washington
Guided by two Nez Perce men, the Lewis and Clark Expedition entered present-day Washington on October 10, 1805. They beached their dugout canoes and camped at a site across the Snake River from here. In this area, the explorers met, traded with, . . . — Map (db m129083) HM
Washington (Asotin County), Clarkston — Nimiipuu Homelands"likeley men, handsom women"
The Lewis and Clark Expedition reached the Clearwater — Snake river confluence on October 10, 1805. The explorers camped across the river from here, their first encampment in present-day Washington. That evening, William Clark wrote about the . . . — Map (db m129064) HM
Washington (Asotin County), Silcott — Lewis & Clark Historic Trail
(left panel – in Asotin County – facing westbound traffic) You are now entering Garfield County over the historic trail traversed by Lewis and Clark on their return from the mouth of the Columbia River, May 4, 1806. (right . . . — Map (db m129099) HM
Washington (Asotin County), Silcott — Temuut'su(Chief Timothy)
The Nez Perce Indian Nation was comprised of hundreds of separate bands. Chief Timothy, along with Red Wolf, ruled the Alpowa Band whose camp was located where Alpowa Creek meets the Snake River. Chief Timothy, a Nez Perce Indian Christian . . . — Map (db m129085) HM
Washington (Benton County), Prosser — Benton County Courthouse
Under the provisions of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, this property possesses exceptional value in illustrating American History and Culture Entered in the National Register of Historic Places December 12, 1976 by U.S. Department . . . — Map (db m129388) HM
Washington (Benton County), Prosser — The Golden Rule Store1901–1996
Founded by Mr. Fred Long in 1901 as the Kash Savin Stor. Moved in 1909 to this Sixth and Meade building constructed in 1904 by E.W.R. Taylor. Renamed The Golden Rule Store between 1910 and 1912. Mr. T. B. Sampson was employed by the Kash Savin . . . — Map (db m129390) HM
Washington (Chelan County), Cashmere — Old Mission Indian Cemetery
Near this marker is the site of Old Mission Indian Cemetery established in 1867 — Map (db m74464) HM
Washington (Chelan County), Chelan — St. Andrews Episcopal Church
Log Building Completed 1898 Architect: Kirtland Kelsey Cutter, Spokane Placed on National Register of Historic Places, 1992 Organized by the Rt. Rev. Lemuel H. Wells, Bishop of the Spokane Missionary District who presided at confirmations . . . — Map (db m129263) HM
Washington (Chelan County), Entiat — Earthquake Point
This site on Ribbon Cliff called Broken Mountain by the Indians experienced a violent earthquake in December, 1872. The shock split the mountain, forming the cliff to the west and causing a huge rock slide which stopped the flow of the Columbia . . . — Map (db m129261) HM
Washington (Clallam County), Forks — Fort Ross, California - Sitka Castle, Alaska - Fort Elisabeth, Kaua’i, Hawai’i
In the early 19th century what is today the northwest coast of Washington State might have become a Russian colony, an extension of Alaska, if the Sv. Nikolai voyage had been successful. This could have led to this section of New Albion, the . . . — Map (db m129579) HM
Washington (Clallam County), Forks — Makah Indian Tribe
Bordered by the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the Pacific Ocean, pre-contact Makah held a vast area of inland and coastal territory. These richly forested lands and the seas which teemed with life offered early Makah a wealth of natural resources. The . . . — Map (db m129586) HM
Washington (Clallam County), Forks — The Shay Locomotive
The Shay locomotive is named for inventor Ephraim Shay of Cadillac, Michigan. The vertical cylinder conveyed power to all the wheels by universal joints and expansion couplings forming a flexible shaft which was rigid in revolution but flexible in . . . — Map (db m129548) HM
Washington (Clallam County), Forks — Timber TransportationFrom Oxen to Locomotives
In the last 150 years, the West Olympic Peninsula has seen many changes in timber transport. photo 1: This picture shows a team of oxen hauling logs off a hillside in the 1890s. In the early days of logging on the Peninsula, oxen were . . . — Map (db m129493) HM
Washington (Clallam County), Neah Bay — 9 — Snow Creek — Welcome to the Whale Trail —
Sail and Seal Rocks rise from the seascape in front of you, where Snow Creek enters the Strait of Juan de Fuca. This rich and productive marine habitat attracts fishermen, divers, kayakers—and whales! Snow Creek overlook is one of the . . . — Map (db m83679) HM
Washington (Clallam County), Olympic National Forest — Rain Forest Monarch
The temperate rain forest is dominated by Sitka spruce. Except where it penetrates valley such as the Hoh, the Sitka spruce grows along a narrow coastal strip from northern California to Alaska. High rainfall, fog, and ocean-moderated . . . — Map (db m83654) HM
Washington (Clallam County), Port Angeles — Spanish Explorers — The Evergreen State —
The Spanish Captain Juan Perez sailed north from San Blas in 1774 with orders from Spain to claim the Coast against the Russians. Perez discovered Nootka Sound on the West shore of Vancouver Island and traded with the natives of the Queen . . . — Map (db m83652) HM
Washington (Clallam County), Sekiu — 10 — Shipwreck Point
The landscape of the Strait of Juan de Fuca was carved out by ice-age glaciers 13,000 years ago. The retreat of the glaciers created deep fjords which provide abundant food and habitat for many species of marine mammals. By the mid-1900’s, . . . — Map (db m83693) HM
Washington (Clallam County), Sequim — How Did the Station Get Supplies?
Lighthouse tender boats supplied the Station by traversing Dungeness Bay from the mainland. At least four docks were built over the years. They were often destroyed by storms. The original dock was constructed circa 1857. It is unknown if it . . . — Map (db m129695) HM
Washington (Clallam County), Sequim — New Dungeness Light Station History
Approximately 10,000 years ago Dungeness Spit began to form. The Spit is formed from sand and gravel from the Olympic Mountains carried by the Dungeness River into Dungeness Bay. Debris is also sloughed off the bluffs to the . . . — Map (db m129716) HM
Washington (Clark County), Camas — 58004 — Camas-Washougal War Memorial
This memorial is dedicated to all servicemen from the Camas-Washougal area who have died as a result of hostile action since the beginning of the Vietnam War. — Map (db m58004) WM
Washington (Clark County), Camas — Crown Zellerbach Employee World War II Memorial
In honor of the employees from this division who gave their lives while serving in the armed forces during World War II. Curtin P Barnett • James F Hagensen • Thelma A Rancore • Jimmie Clark Berg • Wayne A Harwood • Lewis L Ray • Eugene P . . . — Map (db m58851) HM
Washington (Clark County), Camas — The First School in Camas1882
The first school in Camas (La Camas) was built prior to 1882. It was replaced by a four room school (with inside plumbing) in 1886. The first school remained on the school grounds until 1907. In 1907 the then Columbia River Paper Company gave the . . . — Map (db m57954) HM
Washington (Clark County), Ridgefield — Early Highway of the WestThe Great Columbia River
The Columbia River, located a few miles west of here, was one of the first highways in the West. American Indians used canoes as their principal transportation between camps and villages along the river, carrying fish, roots, berries, baskets and . . . — Map (db m112963) HM
Washington (Clark County), Ridgefield — Fort Vancouver
Hudson’s Bay Company established Fort Vancouver in 1824 within the area of present-day Vancouver, 83 nautical miles from the Pacific Ocean. Forty Wooden buildings were enclosed within a 20-foot high log palisade until the treaty of 1846 set the . . . — Map (db m8400) HM
Washington (Clark County), Salmon Creek Heights — Harley H. Hall
Navy Captain Harley H. Hall F-4 Phantom Listed P.O.W. 1-27-73 The last pilot shot down in Vietnam just 10 hours before final cease fire was signed. Native of Vancouver, Washington — Map (db m8513) HM WM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — A Busy Place Is This
You are standing on the site of a once-bustling riverfront complex at Fort Vancouver. A boat building operation, blacksmith shop, and tannery filled the air with the sights, sounds, and smells of industry. A busy place is this. The . . . — Map (db m12292) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — A River of Settlers
Before 1846 American immigrants traveling the Oregon Trail to Fort Vancouver had to make a choice at The Dalles (80 miles upriver from here). They could navigate their own handmade raft or take a Hudson's Bay Company boat down the Columbia River to . . . — Map (db m12295) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — An English Garden in the Wilderness
Planting a garden was one of the first things the Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) did when they established Fort Vancouver. At its height, in the mid-1840s, the garden had expanded to eight acres and provided not only produce but also large numbers of . . . — Map (db m113945) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Cannon Replica Project
These Napoleon 12-Poind Light Field Cannons are replicas created by Mountain View High School students during the 1990 to 1992 school years in Vancouver, Washington. They are the property of the City of Vancouver, which supplied materials. This . . . — Map (db m8519) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Captain George Vancouver MonumentBoat of Discovery
[Panel 1]:Captain George Vancouver Monument October 31, 1792 Lt. William Broughton Named This Area For His Captain Dedicated October 31, 1992 [Panel 2]:Boat of Discovery “…The real story of George . . . — Map (db m8516) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Captain George Vancouver Monument Plaza1792 Discovery
[Panel 1]: Capt. George Vancouver, from King’s Lynn, England, at age 35 and with orders from the British Admiralty to explore and chart the West Coast of America, charted hundreds of miles of coast line from California to Alaska. His maps . . . — Map (db m8515) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Carlton Foster Bond1893 - 1980
CO Pearson Field 1929 - 1933 & 1938 - 1940 Honoring Aviation Pioneers — Map (db m8427) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Clark County Veterans Memorial
Dedicated in memory of those who died in the defense of our Country Lest We Forget — Map (db m8536) WM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Congressional Medal of Honor Monument
This monument is presented to the city of Vancouver, Washington by the Congressional Medal of Honor Society, in recognition of the spirit and sacrifice shown by the valiant Medal of Honor recipients now at rest in the Vancouver Barracks Cemetery. . . . — Map (db m22867) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Covington House
Erected 1848 by Richard and Anne Charlotte Covington on Fourth Plain. Boarding school was conducted herein in 1850. This building housed first piano in the Oregon Country and was center of social activity in entire region. — Map (db m8517) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Early Aviation History in VancouverPearson Field
Even before the advent of a U.S. Army Air Service field at Vancouver Barracks in 1921 and the eventual dedication of “Pearson Field” in 1925, aviation had early hallmarks at Vancouver Barracks. As part of the 1905 Lewis and Clark . . . — Map (db m83990) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Esther ShortEsther Short Park
After marrying Amos Short in 1829, Esther (Clark) Short set out on the adventure of her life! Originally from Tioga County, Pennsylvania, Esther Short, who was ½ Algonquin Indian, her husband Amos and 10 children traveled west to Linton, Oregon . . . — Map (db m64239) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — First Japanese on the North American Continent
In October 1832, the Japanese cargo ship Hojun Maru set sail from near Nagoya bound for Edo (present day Tokyo). Disabled in a storm off Enshu Nada, the Hojun Maru drifted for fourteen months before running aground on the coast near Cape Flattery, . . . — Map (db m8423) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Fishers
For centuries Indians used the trail that later became old Evergreen Highway. Where each creek entered the Columbia River the Indians made camp. In 1805 Lewis & Clark and their expedition camped on Government Island, a haven for waterfowl. . . . — Map (db m57879) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — From Military to Municipal Airfield
The history of Pearson Field goes back almost to the origins of mechanized flight itself. The landing site of Lincoln Beachey’s groundbreaking flight across the Columbia River from Portland to Vancouver, during the 1905 Lewis & Clark Exposition, . . . — Map (db m8406) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Heart of a Trading Empire
Look around you. The scenic spot where you now stand was once the heart of one of the busiest shipping ports west of the Rocky Mountains. From 1825 to 1846, Fort Vancouver's waterfront served as the western economic artery of the Hudson's Bay . . . — Map (db m12293) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Howard C. French / Alexander Pearson
[Top marker]:In loving memory of Howard C. French Major Air Corps Reserve 1894 – 1938 Dedicated by his comrades of the 321st Observation Squadron United States Army Air Corps Reserve [Bottom marker]: In loving . . . — Map (db m8962) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Ilchee
In Recognition of the People Who Have Inhabited this Region for Thousands of Years. Ilchee Moon Girl History says she was born along the Columbia River about 1800, daughter of Chinook Chief Concomley and, later, wife of Chief Casinos leader . . . — Map (db m8422) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — 66 — Officers RowFort Vancouver Barracks
Registered National Historic Place Washington State Advisory Council on Historic Preservation Under the provisions of the National Historic Preservation Act of October 16, 1966, this property possesses exceptional value in commemorating or . . . — Map (db m8523) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Officers Row
When the U.S. Army arrived in 1849 to establish a new post on the western frontier, few of the officers could afford to bring their families out to such a remote and lonely command. A thriving community of soldiers, officers, wives, and children . . . — Map (db m8527) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Officers Row
Officers Row, a procession of homes for officers and their families, began during the early frontier years when Vancouver Barracks was considered by many to be a remote and lonely assignment. The first officer’s quarters on the Row wer log cabins . . . — Map (db m8529) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — St. James Mission — Officers Row —
Many employees of Fort Vancouver were of French-Canadian descent, and had been raised as Roman Catholics. Separated by thousands of miles from their home parishe, these men pleaded with the Bishop of Quebec to send them priests. The Reverend . . . — Map (db m8964) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The 321st Observation Squadron (1923-1941)
Although the U.S. Army allowed civilian aircraft to land at Vancouver Barracks beginning in 1905, military aircraft began operating here in 1921, when the U.S. Army Air Service established a landing field for an aviation forest patrol. The patrol . . . — Map (db m8405) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The Artillery Barracks — Officers Row —
At the beginning of the 20th century, Vancouver was the headquarters for the Department of the Columbia, a vast administrative unit in the Northwest. The population of the post almost tripled in response to increased military activity both at home . . . — Map (db m8742) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The Chkalov Transpolar FlightPearson Field
On June 20, 1937, the world’s attention turned to Pearson Field when a Russian ANT-25 aircraft landed after making the first non-stop flight over the North Pole. The red and gray, single-engined aircraft “Stalin’s Route” carried over . . . — Map (db m50830) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The First Fort Vancouver
In 1824 the Hudson's Bay Company chose this place as the site for a new fort which they named Vancouver in honor of the British explorer, George Vancouver. Little is knowns of this fort as it was moved early in 1829 to its now well-known location . . . — Map (db m8403) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The Grant House — Officers Row —
When the U.S. Army arrived at Fort Vancouver in May of 1849, they quickly built nine log cabins for shelter against the upcoming winter. Shown here is the 1850 plan of the two-story post commander’s quarters. It is the only remaining structure built . . . — Map (db m8499) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The Infantry Barracks — Officers Row —
The Infantry Barracks is the oldest surviving structure in Vancouver Barracks proper. It was constructed in 1887, one of three identical buildings built to house individual companies of the 14th Infantry. Though it was built prior to the . . . — Map (db m8741) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The Marshall House — Officers Row —
As part of a natural reorganization, the U.S. Army returned the headquarters of the Department of the Columbia from Portland, Oregon to Fort Vancouver in 1878. As a result, the Army funded construction of several new buildings on Officers Row, . . . — Map (db m8959) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The O. O. Howard House — Officers Row —
This Italianate-Revival style home was built in 1878 for General Oliver Otis Howard, Commanding General of the Department of the Columbia from 1874 until 1880. This gracious home was considered ”the finest dwelling house north of the . . . — Map (db m8572) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The Post Hospital — Officers Row —
In 1904, the U.S. Army built a new Post Hospital at Vancouver Barracks as a part of a nationwide effort to modernize its forces. Unlike the previous one, the hospital was constructed with brick to enhance sanitation and boasted a spacious floor plan . . . — Map (db m8739) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The Red Cross Convalescent House — Officers Row —
Following the nation’s entry into World War I, the American Red Cross was authorized to construct convalescent houses adjacent to military hospitals. These facilities provided recreation away from a hospital atmosphere, and helped boost the morale . . . — Map (db m8743) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The Reservation Monument
[Side one of six]: Under the influence of Dr. John McLaughlin, Manager of the Hudson Bay Co., civilization of Washington started at Vancouver, A.D. 1825. [Side two of six]: The first school in Washington was taught by John Ball, at . . . — Map (db m8383) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The Soviet Transpolar Flight of 1937Magnificent Triumph of Soviet Aviation
[Monument front]: Near this site at Pearson Airfield on June 20th, 1937, three Soviet aviators completed the first non-stop flight from the U.S.S.R. to the U.S.A. Command Pilot Valeri Chkalov, Co-Pilot Georgi Baidukov, and Navigator . . . — Map (db m50831) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The Sutler's Store — Officers Row —
Until the late 19th century, the U. S. Army awarded sales commissions to civilian traders, known as sutlers. Each post or regiment was authorized to appoint one. Described as “a combination of saloon keeper and general store operator,” . . . — Map (db m8963) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — The Vancouver FarmFort Vancouver National Historic Site
Fort Vancouver was the first large scale farming operation n the Pacific Northwest. Beginning in 1825, the Hudson’s Bay Company established a number of farms and dairies in the area to reduce the high cost of importing food from England. . . . — Map (db m92620) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Theodore A. Penland Rose Garden
This rose garden is dedicated to the memory of Theodore A. Penland 1849 – 1950 last Commander-in-Chief of the Grand Army of the Republic Plaque presented by The Daughters of Union Veterans and the Woman’s Relief Corps, . . . — Map (db m8401) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — U. S. Grant Memorial1853
General U.S. Grant when a young officer was stationed at Columbia Barracks, Vancouver, Washington. One mile east from here he planted potatoes to reduce the expense of his officer’s mess. — Map (db m8424) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — United States Army Arrives
On May 13, 1849, the United States steamer Massachusetts arrived off the Hudson's Bay Company wharf and unloaded Batteries L and M of the First Regiment of United States Artillery. The first permanent official American presence in the Pacific . . . — Map (db m12289) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Vancouver Barracks Parade Ground
On May 13, 1849, from the deck of the USS Massachusetts, the first U.S. Army troops in the Pacific Northwest spotted the Hudson’s Bay Company’s Fort Vancouver. “Mr. Douglas, the resident Governor received us very politely and Major . . . — Map (db m8496) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Welcome to Fort Vancouver
The London-based Hudson's Bay Company established and extensive fur trading network throughout the Pacific Northwest, utilizing two dozen posts, six ships, and about 600 employees during peak seasons. Fort Vancouver was the administrative center and . . . — Map (db m113943) HM
Washington (Clark County), Vancouver — Whose Anchor?
This anchor was dredged from the Columbia River in 1960 near Fort Vancouver’s wharf, one-quarter mile east of the Interstate 5 bridge. The anchor gives some answers about its history, but poses many more questions. It is a Rogers Paten Small-Palm . . . — Map (db m8691) HM
Washington (Columbia County), Dayton — City of DaytonEarly History
Columbia County Courthouse: 1887 Washington’s Oldest Courthouse. Construction of the Territorial Courthouse was completed two years before Washington became a state in 1889. Designed by local architect W.H. Burrows, the courthouse was . . . — Map (db m129474) HM
Washington (Columbia County), Dayton — Columbia CountyHistorical Points of Interest
Palouse Indians To supplement a diet of salmon, families migrated from riverside “mat lodge” villages to the mountains for game, roots, and berries. “Appaloosa” horses played a paramount role in tribal life. . . . — Map (db m129473) HM
Washington (Columbia County), Dayton — Kendall Skyline Road
This scenic mile-high road completed in 1928 was conceived, promoted, surveyed and built under the direction of William H. Kendall who was employed by the U. S. Forest Service from 1907 to 1931.

Before the road was built Kendall was hunting in . . . — Map (db m113459) HM

Washington (Columbia County), Dayton — Kimooenim Creek Lunch Site
Columbia County Washington

“Saturday, May 3d, 1806”

The Corps of Discovery crossed the “high plains” and descended to this location after a cold morning of rain, snow, and hail. They described the Kimooenim . . . — Map (db m118600) HM

Washington (Columbia County), Starbuck — M - R Military Road
M - R Military Wagon Road Located by Capt. John Mullan 1858-1862 Pyramid erected by Mullan Road Ass'n Tablet Furnished by Washington State Historical Society 1926 — Map (db m113458) HM
Washington (Cowlitz County), Castle Rock — Mount St. Helens - You Are Edge of the Blast Zone
The eruption of Mount St. Helens on May 18, 1980 triggered a huge landslide causing a powerful, laterally directed blast. A pyroclastic flow consisting of rock fragments, highly charged gas and super heated steam, devastated almost 150,000 . . . — Map (db m50737) HM
Washington (Cowlitz County), Castlerock — In Memoriam1917 World War 1918
Chas S Chism • George Eaton • Elmer O. Leonard • Thomas Martin • Harlan Merrill • Rudolph Rockwell • Albert W. Rosin • Richard Sugars — Map (db m94544) WM
Washington (Cowlitz County), Woodland — The Finn Hall
In 1916 Finnish immigrants constructed a hall near this site under the name of a literary association (Kirjallixuus Seura), forming a lending library. Although they brought their diet, language, and saunas with them, some old country beliefs were . . . — Map (db m8382) HM
Washington (Cowlitz County), Woodland — Woodland Community Veterans Memorial
World War I James A Forbes • Frank L. Gaddis • Walter Kalahan • Alfred Earl Wells • Tom C. Bair • Fred S. Millard World War II Elmer Beebe • Harold R. Chilcoat • Harry A. Lillard, Jr. • Elmer Mattila • Claude M. . . . — Map (db m8399) WM
Washington (Franklin County), Pasco — Ainsworth
One of the most colorful of the early Northwest railroad towns once existed near junction of the Snake and Columbia Rivers. Ainsworth was founded, 1879, when the railroad bridge was building over the Snake River.
In its heyday it was a wild, . . . — Map (db m34519) HM
Washington (Franklin County), Pasco — Sacagawea
The Lewis and Clark Expedition camped nearby on October 16 and 17, 1805 on its way to the Pacific Ocean. One of the members of the Expedition was a young Northern Shoshone, Sacagawea.

During the winter of 1804-05 at Fort Mandan, in . . . — Map (db m38587) HM
Washington (Franklin County), Washtucna — Explore Massive Floodscapes!
Raging Ice Age floodwaters carved spectacular features throughout eastern Washington, creating unique landscapes. Follow the path of the floods and discover more about this amazing story. Path of Least Resistance As floodwaters rushed . . . — Map (db m83044)
Washington (Franklin County), Washtucna — In the Path of Cataclysmic Floods
You are standing in the pathway of some of the largest floods ever known. They carved steep-walled canyons, sculpted immense waterfalls, and left behind landscapes found nowhere else on earth. Massive Glacial Dams and Lakes During the . . . — Map (db m83019)
Washington (Franklin County), Washtucna — Overwhelming Proof for an "Outrageous" Theory
Geologist J Harlen Bretz spent decades meticulously documenting evidence to support his theory that massive Ice Age floods carved the Channeled Scabland of eastern Washington. But the geologic community only ridiculed and scorned his work ... until . . . — Map (db m83025) HM
Washington (Franklin County), Washtucna — Setting the Stage
Long before the Ice Age floods could carve the coulees, waterfalls, and cliffs that dominate this landscape, basalt was needed, and in huge quantities! Vents from deep in the earth’s crust supplied the basalt, erupting again and again to cover much . . . — Map (db m83023)
Washington (Franklin County), Washtucna — Small Town, Big Voice
Welcome to Palouse Falls, Washington's official state waterfall. Behind this designation by the state legislature is a story of how local students with a vision created state law - and made state history. Waterfall Facts Palouse Falls is the . . . — Map (db m129494) HM
Washington (Franklin County), Washtucna — Stealing a Stream
Before the Ice Age floods, no stream or waterfall existed here. Instead, the Palouse River flowed through Washtucna Coulee. What caused the river to jump its course? When the floods surged across the area, they cut a path through the fractured . . . — Map (db m83021)
Washington (Grant County), Coulee City — Dry Falls
Flood waters, perhaps 300 feet above you, once rushed over these cliffs. During the ice age, glaciers to the north blocked the Columbia River and forced it to find a new route. The river, swollen from melting glacial ice, began to carve a new . . . — Map (db m129678) HM
Washington (Grant County), Coulee City — Explore Massive Floodscapes!
Raging Ice Age floodwaters carved spectacular features throughout eastern Washington, creating unique landscapes. Follow the path of the floods and discover more about this amazing story. Gouging Deep Coulees The powerful floods cut . . . — Map (db m129681) HM
Washington (Grant County), Coulee City — Franklin Delano RooseveltPresidential Visit — August 4, 1934 —
Near this site President Roosevelt, accompanied by Mrs. Roosevelt delivered the address dedicating Grand Coulee Dam. Nearly 20,000 people attended the ceremony which was preceded by an inspection of the dam’s construction. — Map (db m99855) HM
Washington (Grant County), Coulee City — In the Path of Cataclysmic Floods
You are standing in the pathway of some of the largest floods ever known. They carved steep-walled canyons, sculpted immense waterfalls, and left behind landscapes found nowhere else on earth. Massive Glacial Dams and Lakes During the last . . . — Map (db m129680) HM
Washington (Grant County), Coulee City — Story of Dry Falls
These cliffs are skeletal remnants of what was once the world’s largest waterfall. They bear stark witness to the tremendous power of catastrophic floods that swept over Eastern Washington at the end of the last Ice Age. The falls began 20 mi. to . . . — Map (db m129677) HM
Washington (Grant County), Coulee City — Welcome to Grand Coulee Dam
Grand Coulee Dam is the key structure in water utilization for the Columbia River Basin. The dam began operation in 1942 and is one of the world’s largest concrete structures. It is a mile long and contains almost 12 million cubic yards of concrete . . . — Map (db m99853) HM
Washington (Grant County), Coulee City — World's Greatest Waterfall... Without Water!
The sheer cliff in front of you was once the world's greatest waterfall. From here, you see only the western portion of this remarkable Ice Age floods feature. With the end of the last Ice Age, floodwaters no longer swept through Grand Coulee, . . . — Map (db m129679) HM
Washington (Grant County), Coulee Dam — Grand Coulee Dam
Begun in time of adversity it stood in war as a sentinel of strength safeguarding the nation. Forever a monument to those who shared in its conception and its construction in peace it is the key to new American frontiers of opportunity in . . . — Map (db m129615) HM
Washington (Grant County), Electric City — History of the Steamboat Rock Area
Indians, fur traders, military expeditions and settlers traveled where you are now standing. A major Indian trail passed at this location. Alexander Ross passed here in 1841. John Works, Hudson's Bay Company was here in 1825. The famous botanist, . . . — Map (db m129671) HM
Washington (Grant County), Ephrata — Early Days in Ephrata
Ephrata was a summer Indian camp. Hundreds of Indians spent weeks gathering roots at the springs west of here. Ephrata was the gateway between Walla Walla & Okanogan. Indians, military expeditions, and wagons traveled here in 1880. The first . . . — Map (db m129093) HM
Washington (Grant County), Royal City — Ginkgo Petrified Forest State Park
Directly across the Columbia River is Ginkgo Petrified Forest State Park, covering 6,000 acres. Although the presence of petrified wood had been reported as early as 1898, the first indication of its presence in quantity in this vicinity was . . . — Map (db m92611)
Washington (Grant County), Royal City — The Wanapums
Until recent times the Wanapum Indians inhabited the banks of the Columbia River from Beverly Gap to where it is joined by the Snake River near Pasco about 75 miles south. The Wanapums were a very religious and peaceful people living on fish, . . . — Map (db m92610) HM
Washington (Grant County), Stratford — History of the Stratford Area
Indians camped along Crab Creek in Stratford to gather roots and other food. The main Indian trail came past Stratford across the creek. The Indian trail branched here and one went past Pinto Dam. Lt. Symons came past here while laying out military . . . — Map (db m129096) HM
Washington (Grays Harbor County), Cosmopolis — Cosmopolis Treaty GroundsFebruary 25, 1855
In 1854, the U.S. Commissioner of Indian Affairs instructed Isaac I. Stevens, Governor of the Washington Territory, to enter into treaties with the coast Indian tribes. Following the initial council meetings here in Cosmopolis, treaty councils were . . . — Map (db m129124) HM
Washington (Grays Harbor County), Hoquiam — 7th Street TheatreHoquiam WA
An atmospheric-style theatre built in 1928 This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of Interior 1987 and the Hoquiam Register of . . . — Map (db m73008) HM
Washington (Grays Harbor County), Hoquiam — F. Arnold Polson House and Alex Polson Grounds
Registered National Historic Place F. Arnold Polson House and Alex Polson Grounds Under the provisions of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, this property possesses exceptional value in illustrating American . . . — Map (db m72802) HM
Washington (Grays Harbor County), Ocean Shores — Captain Robert Gray
Tradition links this tree with the name of Captain Robert Gray who on May 7th 1792, entered this harbor in his ship Columbia. This tablet was erected in his honor by Robert Gray Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution . . . — Map (db m117933) HM
Washington (Grays Harbor County), Westport — Fort Chehalis
. . . — Map (db m102772) HM
Washington (Hood River County), Cascade Locks — This Old Turbine
For nearly 60 years this turbine helped make power at Bonneville Dam. Throughout these years it has meant different things to different people at different times. During installation, it meant jobs to help people recover from the Great Depression. A . . . — Map (db m92685) HM
Washington (Island County), Coupeville — Col. Isaac Neff Ebey – Rebecca Whitey Ebey
In honor of the founder of Island County and his wife Col. Isaac Neff Ebey – Rebecca Whitey Ebey 1818 – 1857 1822-1858 Whidbey Island’s first permanent settler 1850. Proposed the separation of Island County from Thurston County . . . — Map (db m61038) HM
Washington (Island County), Coupeville — Davis Blockhouse
This Blockhouse Erected in 1855 Restored in 1930 By the Ladies of the Round Table In honor of the Pioneer Mothers — Map (db m60980) HM
Washington (Island County), Coupeville — Ebey Blockhouse
One of four on this site Built 1854 — Map (db m60978) HM
Washington (Island County), Coupeville — Guarding the Entrance to Puget Sound – Coast Artillery CorpsFort Casey State Park — Admiralty Head Lighthouse —
A Glimpse In Time Like the majority of the coastal forts built in the United States, Fort Casey never fired its guns in warfare. Fort Casey is one of three coastal forts constructed in the late 1890s to defend the entrance to Puget Sound . . . — Map (db m61063) HM
Washington (Island County), Coupeville — Keeping the Alexander Blockhouse alive!!!Preserving Alexander Blockhouse over time
History The Alexander Block house is one of four blockhouses remaining in Central Whidbey Island. Few original blockhouses of this type remain throughout the United States. John Alexander, Sr. built this blockhouse on his donation land claim . . . — Map (db m60986) HM
Washington (Island County), Coupeville — Mary Barrett
Left side of marker is written in Gaelic and right side is in English Died here. April, 9 AD 1861 One year ten and twenty (years) of age Born at Mineth, Ireland Gentle wife (of) Sam’l Maylor They married in Liverpool At the . . . — Map (db m60979) HM
Washington (Island County), Coupeville — Original Home of Seattle’s Best Coffee
“I bought a small old fashion coffee roaster and I plan to roast my own coffee. Front Street will never smell the same!” – Jim Stewart 1969 Jim and Dave Stewart, coffee pioneers and founders of Seattle’s Best Coffee, . . . — Map (db m60942) HM
Washington (Island County), Coupeville — Remaining Blockhouses of Central Whidbey
Saved Blockhouse In 1921 a local civic group, the Ladies of the Round Table (LORT) began a ten year effort to restore the decaying Davis Blockhouse. Local carpenter Fred Krueger handled the project carefully replacing rotting beams while . . . — Map (db m60991) HM
Washington (Island County), Coupeville — Sunnyside
Donation claim of Jacob Ebey. Served in War of 1812, the Black Hawk War and the Mexican War. When 61 yrs old led company across plains with covered wagons. Settled on Whidbey Island and built this home, four blockhouses and stockade in 1856 . . . — Map (db m60977) HM
Washington (Island County), Coupeville — The Crockett Blockhouse
Sudden Indian attacks at Seattle and Bellingham in 1855 caused consternation among the small pioneering settlements on Puget Sound. The tradition of blockhouse defense was well known to American settlers, dating from the earliest English colonies. . . . — Map (db m61040) HM
Washington (Island County), Coupeville — The Jolly Boat
. . . — Map (db m61036) HM
Washington (Island County), Coupeville — Zylstra Law Office1904 — Coupeville Historical Building —
The cottage was actually built as two separate buildings. The eastern half was built as a law office for James Zylstra. The western half was added and the building became the medical office for Dr. Chas. White. In 1998 Rev. Barry Burton & Capt. Mike . . . — Map (db m61037) HM
Washington (Island County), Deception Pass State Park — Deception PassA Mysterious Channel — Welcome to Deception Pass State Park —
The swirling waters that pass in and out of the narrow channels between Whidbey Island and Fidalgo Island have captivated visitors to this area for thousands of years. Salish Native American tribes were the first human inhabitants of these . . . — Map (db m74012) HM
Washington (Island County), Deception Pass State Park — Deception PassBefore the Bridge — Welcome to Deception Pass State Park —
It's hard to imagine Deception Pass without the bridge. But until 1935, the gap between Fidalgo Island and Whidbey Island could only be crossed by boat. In 1924 a small ferry called the Deception Pass began running between Yokeko Point . . . — Map (db m74083) HM
Washington (Island County), Deception Pass State Park — Deception PassA Park Divided — Welcome to Deception Pass State Park —
When the federal government transferred 1,700 acres of land on Fidalgo Island and Whidbey Island to the State of Washington in 1925, Deception Pass State Park was barely an idea. For decades, the land had been a military reservation set aside . . . — Map (db m74085) HM
Washington (Island County), Naval Air Station Whidbey Island — U.S. Navy Patrol and Reconnaissance Memorial
Dedicated to all U.S. Navy Patrol and Reconnaissance Naval Aviators, Naval Flight Officers and Aircrewmen who, for the cause of freedom, have made the ultimate sacrifice. Special thanks to Mr. John Christiansen for his many contributions to . . . — Map (db m74000) HM WM
Washington (Island County), Oak Harbor — Beeksma’s CornerCity of Oak Harbor
Family Origins This park is named after the family of Egbert and Betty Beeksma in recognition of the business they started on the site of park and their contribution to the development of Oak Harbor. Egbert Beeksma was born the Netherlands . . . — Map (db m60940) HM
Washington (Island County), Oak Harbor — Crossing the PassPast to Present
Before the bridge was completed in 1935, the only way to cross Deception Pass was by boat. If you wanted to take your car from Whidbey to Fidalgo Island in 1929 your crossing would look like this, aboard the MV Acorn. Your captain could . . . — Map (db m61465) HM
Washington (Island County), Oak Harbor — Deception Pass
To the north of this narrow passage is Fidalgo Island, so named for the Spanish explorer, Lieutenant Salvador Fidalgo. To the south is Whidbey Island, second largest island in the contiguous 48 states, which Captain George Vancouver, while exploring . . . — Map (db m60903) HM
Washington (Island County), Oak Harbor — Deception Pass
Named by Captain George Vancouver 10 June 1792. Feeling that he had been “Deceived” as to the nature of the inner waterway, Port Gardner (now Saratoga Passage) he wrote on his chart “Deception Pass”. He . . . — Map (db m60904) HM
Washington (Island County), Oak Harbor — Flintstone Park Flagpole
This Navy flagstaff is placed here to honor all those Navy people who have served aboard the Naval Air Station on Whidbey Island, their families, and the people of Oak Harbor who have long supported the Navy mission. Our National Ensign was . . . — Map (db m73990) HM WM
Washington (Island County), Oak Harbor — Oak Harbor’s Early “Town”
Oak Harbor’s early “town” was built along the waterfront, and stretched from Maylor’s store along Pioneer Way to about a block east of the junction of Flintstone Freeway and Midway and Pioneer. The east end of the town burned in a . . . — Map (db m60938) HM
Washington (Island County), Oak Harbor — Oak Harbor's Ties to the Sea
'Why do we love the sea? Because she has the power to make us think things we like to think.' - Robert Henry The Old Wharf and Steamships Look offshore toward Maylor's Point and you will see a concrete block that remains from Oak . . . — Map (db m73991) HM
Washington (Island County), Oak Harbor — The Skagit, a stately society
The Skagit Indians maintained several villages on Penn Cove. The paramount Skagit chief lived at Snakelum Point, southeast across the cove. The village at Monroe’s Landing was called cokwol’a. Cokwol’a was a major village of the Skwdabs, a subgroup . . . — Map (db m61074) HM
Washington (Jefferson County), Brinnon — An Abundant Backyard
Just as the cabin tells a story of the site's history, so does nature. The large stumps in the area tell about early logging activity. Notice in the photo how different the cabin must have been with an expansive view before the new forest . . . — Map (db m115751) HM
Washington (Jefferson County), Brinnon — At Home in the Outdoors
Emory Finch, the son of Hoodsport pioneers, moved into Interrorem with his new bride Maybelle Peterson on their wedding day, April 22. 1908. Like her husband, she saw at home in the outdoors. The couple met when she and two friends came over from . . . — Map (db m116139) HM
Washington (Jefferson County), Brinnon — Home and Office
Interrorem Ranger Cabin is the oldest Forest Service dwelling on the Olympic Penninsula and one of the oldest in the Northwest.

As you gaze through the trees at Interrorem Ranger cabin, step back in time to the Spring of 1907. From this spot . . . — Map (db m116138) HM

Washington (Jefferson County), Brinnon — Interrorem: Interim or Enduring?
The name Interrorem, according to the most popular theory, was derived from Latin meaning "between the gold". Others believe it was slang for "Interim," used by those who thought the cabin would be a temporary site for managing the forest. Instead, . . . — Map (db m116137) HM
Washington (Jefferson County), Brinnon — Loyalty, Courage & Common Sense
Early Forest Rangers were custodians of the forest, riding horseback over mountain trails and camping out, protecting the forest from fires, poachers, and trespassers.

Most were outdoorsmen, former cowboys, trappers and woodsmen. They were . . . — Map (db m116140) HM

Washington (Jefferson County), Brinnon — The Ranger Hole
It is no wonder that the churning fishing hole one mile down this trail is called Ranger Hole. Emery Finch, and many other early Rangers were avid fishermen, wearing a well traveled path between the cabin and their favorite fishing spot. Fishing was . . . — Map (db m116141) HM
Washington (Jefferson County), Forks — Sv. Nikolai MissionStorm at Sea, War on Land
Sv. Nikolai Mission In September 1808 the Russian American Company (RAC) schooner Sv. Nikolai (Saint Nicholas) set sail from the Russian American Company's fort in Sitka, which was then in Russian territory (now part of the State . . . — Map (db m129574) HM
Washington (Jefferson County), Forks — Anna Petrovna - Timothei Tarakanov
Anna Petrovna Anna Petrovna Bulygin, a Russian woman notable for being the first European woman known to live in what is now Washington State, landed with the crew of the Sv. Nikolai. Anna was eighteen years old, the attractive wife of . . . — Map (db m129585) HM
Washington (Jefferson County), Forks — Escape to the Hoh River Leads to CaptivityMakah Tribe Encounter & Rescue
Escape to the Hoh River Leads to Captivity At dawn following a harrowing, fearful night awaiting retribution, the Russian party reconnoiters, but finds only dense forest growing down to the high-tide surf line. Captain Bulygin decides to take . . . — Map (db m129588) HM
Washington (Jefferson County), Forks — Hoh Indian Tribe
The tribal name for the Hoh River is Chalak'At'sit (meaning "The Southern River"). The river itself is focal in Hoh tribal identity and folk-history and in traditional economic patterns. The Hoh people were created along the river. Mythic narratives . . . — Map (db m129587) HM
Washington (Jefferson County), Forks — Quileute Indian Tribe
Thousands of winters before the arrival of the White Drifting-House people, the Ho-qwats, the Quileute Indians and the ghosts of their ancestors lived and hunted near La Push, Washington. For as long as the ageless memory of legend recalls, the . . . — Map (db m129589) HM
Washington (Jefferson County), Port Townsend — Bell Tower1980
For more than 50 years, the bell was used to call volunteer fire fighters to their posts. It is the only known tower of its kind in the United States. It was restored in 2003 by the Jefferson County Historical Society and the City of Port Townsend . . . — Map (db m83776) HM
Washington (Jefferson County), Port Townsend — Fire Bell Tower — Port Townsend —
This is the last remaining wooden fire bell tower in the United States. Port Townsend’s Fire Bell Tower is a 75-foot wooden structure built in 1890 to hold a 1,500 pound brass bell and the city's new $900 fire engine. . . . — Map (db m83775) HM
Washington (Jefferson County), Port Townsend — Historic City HallPort Townsend
In 1891 architects Batwell & Patrick designed a multi-purpose civic structure to house administrative offices, council chamber, courtroom, fire hall and jail to serve the needs of a city of 20,000. Port Townsend's city council still meets . . . — Map (db m129357) HM
Washington (Jefferson County), Port Townsend — Historical Marker
Commemorating Capt. George Vancouver’s discovery, landing & naming of Port Townsend in honor of the Marquis of Townshend, May 7, 1792. Donated Dec 1, 1986, by the DeLeo Family, residents of Port Townsend since 1883. — Map (db m91334) HM
Washington (Jefferson County), Port Townsend — Kuhn Building1892
Begun in 1892 by Port Townsend pioneer Joseph A. Kuhn, this building represented the latest ideas of the time in architecture. Construction was directed by Jonas Guise, then the best known contractor in the area. Bricks came from the yards of . . . — Map (db m91331) HM
Washington (Jefferson County), Port Townsend — Starrett House
Starrett House Under the provisions of the National Historic Preservation Act of October 15, 1966, this property possesses exceptional value in commemorating, or illustrating American History Placed on the National Register on September 29, . . . — Map (db m129376) HM
Washington (Jefferson County), Port Townsend — The Haller Fountaindedicated 1906
The Haller Fountain was brought to Port Townsend by resident Theodore N. Haller to honor his deceased father and brother. After the dedication speech, Mr. Haller read a poem about the Greek sea nymph, Galatea, and the statue has been known by that . . . — Map (db m91294) HM
Washington (King County), Ballard — Ballard Avenue Landmark District Historic Marker Project
The Ballard Avenue Landmark District holds a significant place in Seattle history. The uniquely-preserved state of Ballard Avenue provides visitors with a window into the heyday of Ballard’s industrial and commercial era. The City of Ballard . . . — Map (db m27976) HM
Washington (King County), Kent — The Saar Pioneer Cemetery
The Saar Pioneer Cemetery is named for former King County Councilman Peter Saar, who in 1873 buried his wife on a small hill on their homestead. Since that time the cemetery has been known by many names. Kent Cemetery • Kent Methodist Cemetery . . . — Map (db m52568) HM
Washington (King County), SeaTac — Barney Clark Memorial CourtFirst-Ever Artificial Heart Recipient
In Honor of Dr. Barney B. Clark 1921 - 1983 Medical Pioneer First Recipient Artificial Heart He gave of Himself For Others — Map (db m120465) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — "This Market Is Yours"Public Market Center/Pike Place Market — U.S. Historical District —
“This market is yours. I dedicate it to you, and may it prove a benefit to you and your children. It is for you to defend, to protect and to uphold; and it is for you to see that those who occupy it treat you fairly, that no extortion be . . . — Map (db m69997) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — "Ton of Gold"Historical Point of Interest
The famous “Ton of Gold” that started the Alaska Gold Rush was unloaded here in 1897. The SS Portland landed the valuable cargo at this pier then known as Scwabacher Dock. Ereceted National Maritime Day 1957 — Map (db m47998) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — “Great White Fleet”Historical Point of Interest
The U.S. Navy’s “Great White Fleet” arrived Seattle May 23 and departed May 27, 1908 to continue their famous 46,000 mile round the world cruise. Part of the fleet anchored in Elliot Bay near this site and the crews disembarked here at . . . — Map (db m48001) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — ‘Miike Maru’Historical Point of Interest
At this site on August 31, 1896, the Nippon Yusen Kaisha Steamer ‘Miike Maru’ arrived with her cargo of tea. This was the first regularly scheduled steamer service between the Orient and Seattle and marked the birth of Seattle as an international . . . — Map (db m47996) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — 1919.551.1 — 1890 Seattle Fire Department Bell
This bell is the remaining symbol of the leap made by city leaders to establish and equip a professional firefighting force after the Great Seattle Fire of June 6, 1889. On that day, the young metropolis of Seattle was devastated by flames in spite . . . — Map (db m27187) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — 50th Anniversary of First Presbyterian Church of SeattleDecember 12, 1869 - December 12, 1919

First Pastor Dr. George F. Whitworth.

Charter Members Mary E. Whitworth • Clara Whitworth York Lida Whitworth • Ruth J. McCarty Rebecca Jones • Samuel Kenny Jessie Kenny

Erected on the Fiftieth Anniversary of the . . . — Map (db m81459) HM

Washington (King County), Seattle — Alexis Hotel / Globe BuildingBuilt 1901 - Rehabilitated 1982 — Seattle Landmark —
Designed by Max Umbrecht for J.W. Clise, this building originally housed stores, offices and lodgings, and together with others in the area, marked the northward move of the downtown up First Avenue. Later it was converted into a parking garage and . . . — Map (db m99629) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — 103 — Ballard Avenue Historic District / Ballard City Hall Bell
Multiple markers on and near the Ballard Centennial Bell identify the Ballard Avenue Historic District. Marker 1: Be it remembered that at this place on the eleventh day of April, Nineteen Hundred and Seventy Six, the Ballard . . . — Map (db m27797) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Ballast IslandHistorical Point of Interest
In this area once part of the bay, vessels from ports all over the world dumped their ballast. Untold thousands of tons were unloaded into the water by ship’s crews including 40,000 tons from San Francisco’s Telegraph Hill. The island, long a . . . — Map (db m48122) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Beebe BuildingBuilt 1901 - Rehabilitated 1982 — Seattle Landmark —
Designed in 1901 by Max Umbrecht For Clifford Beebe, This Building Although Presenting an Elegant Neo-Regency Facade, Housed a Modest Hostelry for Most of its Earlier Life. It was Restored to In-City Housing by the Cornerstone . . . — Map (db m120352) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Bell Street BridgeWhere did the old Bell Street Bridge go?
The original Bell Street Bridge was a wooden trestle built in 1915 to provide access to Pier 66 from Elliott Avenue and the hillside above. In the early 1900s, trestle bridges connected many of Seattle's piers on the central waterfront with the . . . — Map (db m86453) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Bell Street Terminal, Pier 66Historical Point of Interest
The site of the Indian camping place called Muck-Muck-Wum. In 1911 the headquarters of Washington’s first public port was established here by commissioners H.M. Chittenden, C.E. Remsberg and Robert Bridges. This tablet dedicated May 19, during . . . — Map (db m48002) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Birthplace of United Parcel Service
In August 1907, in a 6 by 17 foot office under the original sidewalk here, a few messenger boys began the business which their many thousand successors extended throughout the vast regions of our country covered by United Parcel Service today. . . . — Map (db m70736) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Broadway High School
On this site stood Seattle's first High School. Opened in 1902 as Seattle High School, in 1904 it was named Broadway High School until its closing in 1946. Broadway set high standards for education and racial harmony. This plaque is presented by . . . — Map (db m102981) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Bruce Pavitt and Jonathan Poneman (Sub Pop Records)Seattle Walk of Fame
. . . — Map (db m99634) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Burke Building Remnants
This arch and other architectural components in the plaza are from the Burke Building which was built on this site in 1895 — Map (db m99512) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Cannabis City - Seattle's First Pot ShopEstablished July 7th, 2014
A historic day in Seattle

Just after 1pm on July 07, 2014, Deb Green, a 65-year-old marathon running grandmother from Ballard brought her camp chair, a hat, and a book as she planted herself down to become the first person in line to . . . — Map (db m116579) HM

Washington (King County), Seattle — Carkeek Park
Carkeek Park is an urban oasis. The salt water beach, the salmon bearing stream, wetlands, forest, picnic tables, play areas and miles of trails welcome visitors with new discoveries year round. The land once occupied by early Salish peoples . . . — Map (db m102488) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Carson D. Boren
Built here the first cabin home of white man in the City of Seattle in April 1852. It was made of split cedar puncheons. — Map (db m48051) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Chief Seattle
[Right side of the monument] Kitsap sights Vancouver’s vessel 1792 – First vessel on Puget Sound [Left side of the monument] Seattle Chief of the Suquamish A firm friend of the whites For him the city of . . . — Map (db m47938) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Chinese American Soldiers MemorialSeattle
Dedicated to American Soldiers of Chinese Ancestry in Seattle and vicinity who died in the service of their country during World War II, 1941 - 1945 [Translation in Chinese calligraphy] Yeu Louie Lee Hong Chew Bak Hong Chin John . . . — Map (db m26934) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Chrysler BuildingSeattle's Historic Auto Row
The Washborn-Haines Company built this structure to showcase their preeminent Chrysler auto dealership, so special that Walter Chrysler himself came out for the opening on November 29, 1925. This building continued to house automobile sales and . . . — Map (db m103015) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Colman BuildingSeattle Landmark
Only the base of this building, designed by the well-known firm of Bebb and Gould, in 1915 was designated. In 1982 the Bumgardner Partnership saved the facade and merged it into the new tower for the Cornerstone Development Corporation. — Map (db m99636) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Colman DockHistorical Point of Interest
Colman Dock was built on this site by J. M. Colman in 1909. This dock was center of ferry boat activity on Puget Sound. Seattle Ferry Terminal dedicated May 18, 1966, National Maritime Day - 1966 — Map (db m112965) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Colonial HotelBuilt 1901 - Rehabilitated 1982 — Seattle Landmark —
. . . — Map (db m120451) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Crystal Pool1915 - 2004
The Cristalla site is the original home of the Crystal Pool Natatorium. Known as Crystal Pool, the building was commissioned in 1913 by Seattle dignitary C. D. Stimson and designed by architect Marcus Priteca, a prominent West Coast designer . . . — Map (db m99651) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — De La Mar ApartmentsRegistered National Historic Place
Under the Provisions of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, This Property Possesses Exceptional Value in Illustrating American History and Culture Entered in the National Register of Historic Places August 18, 1980 by . . . — Map (db m120470) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Earl Layman Street Clock
Originally the Young's Credit Jewelers Clock c. 1907 located at 4th and Pike. Donated to Historic Seattle by the Dean Black family. Placed here in dedication to Earl Drais Layman City of Seattle Historic Preservation Officer 1974 - 1982, in . . . — Map (db m103167) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Emil Fredreksen Memorial
Medal of Honor Recipient Emil Fredreksen 1/5/1867-6/24/1950. Emil Fredreksen was the recipient of extremely rare peacetime Medal of Honor for his extraordinary heroism during the boiler explosion on July 21, 1905 aboard the USS Bennington . . . — Map (db m109290) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Everett G. DuPenBronze Relief Sculptures
For much of the 20th Century, this site was occupied by the Medical Arts Building, a six-story brick and concrete building, built in 1903. This original building was named the Lumber Exchange. In a 1950 renovation by its long-time owners, the Albert . . . — Map (db m99566) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Exchange Building
Opened in May 1930, the Exchange Building was designed to house more stock and mercantile exchanges than any building in the United States. It was constructed as one of the tallest and largest reinforced concrete structures in the world. . . . — Map (db m99501) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Father William SullivanSeattle Walk of Fame
Father Sullivan served as president of Seattle University from 1976-1996, leading it into a prosperous time of record enrollment, financial stability and new academic programs. An insightful leader in the Seattle community, he served as chairman of . . . — Map (db m99644) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Fire Bell No. 4
Historic fire bell from Station No. 4 located at 4th and Battery Street in the 1800's prior to the first Denny regrade - This bell sounded out the fire alarms to all the stations in the North End area and Queen Anne Hill by means of area code and . . . — Map (db m98926) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — First Avenue
A main north-south artery of Seattle, stretching north from the original Pioneer Square business district, First Avenue was lined with offices, leading hotels, banks and even a few residences. Until the mid-20th century, the street was also home to . . . — Map (db m47941) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — First Post Office in Seattle
Arthur A Denny in his log cabin home on this spot opened the first post office of Seattle August 27, 1853. ——————————— This Tablet was Erected by the Washington . . . — Map (db m99533) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — First Presbyterian Church Cornerstone

This is the corner stone of the old church, corner of Fourth Avenue and Spring Street. It was removed to this location A.D. October 1906 by order of the Session... — Map (db m81457) HM

Washington (King County), Seattle — First Presbyterian Church of Seattle World War II Memorial1939 • 1945

In memory of the men of our church who gave their lives for their country and the liberty of the world

Major Golland C. Clark Jr. P.F.C. Hugh E. Craven Private H. E. Dupar Lieut. David C. Hall Jr. P.O. J. Francis Henning Milton E. . . . — Map (db m81461) HM

Washington (King County), Seattle — First Presbyterian Church of Seattle World War Memorial1914 • The Great War • 1918

In memory of the men of our church who gave their lives for their country and the liberty of the world

Capt. John S. Pringle Capt. Elijah W. Worsham Lieut. Walter C. Lee Lieut. Wm. J. A. MacDonald Lieut. Harold C. White Private . . . — Map (db m81460) HM

Washington (King County), Seattle — First School in Seattle
Bank of California On this spot the first school in Seattle was taught by Mrs Catherine P. Blaine in January 1854 ———————————— This Tablet was Erected by . . . — Map (db m99628) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Fremont Bridge
Late at night on June 15th of 1917 the world's first vehicle crossed the Fremont Bridge. Foot traffic was allowed across the bridge deck the next day and has continued in a steady stream since then, along with horse drawn conveyance, trolleys, . . . — Map (db m112962) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — George Ward HouseSeattle's Oldest Bulding
Two markers are side-by-side on this house: (Marker 1) Ward House Seattle's Oldest Building 1882 Seattle Landmark (Marker 2) George Ward House 520 E Denny Way has been placed on the National Register of . . . — Map (db m102516) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — George Washington
Presented to the University of Washington June 14, 1909 by Rainier Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, Assisted by the Sons and Daughters of the American Revolution by the School Children of the State of Washington and by the State . . . — Map (db m120324) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Gerard SchwarzSeattle Walk of Fame
Longtime Music Director of the Seattle Symphony, Maestro Schwarz has initiated concert series, led award-winning recordings and introduced many new American works. He is active as a spokesman for music education, and was honored in 1994 as . . . — Map (db m99649) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Grand Central Hotel1889
Originally known as the Squire-Latimer Building, this structure served as office space until 1897. At that time the influx of miners on their way to the Klondike Gold Rush brought about its conversion to the Grand Central Hotel. After years of . . . — Map (db m48126) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Grand Pacific HotelBuilt 1898 - Restored 1982 — Seattle Landmark —
This Excellent Example of Richardsonian Romanesque Architecture was Built as the City Expanded Northward to Meet the Needs of the Alaskan Gold Rush. It, also was Long in Use as a Workingmen’s Hotel, and Has Been Converted to Apartment . . . — Map (db m120462) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Great Northern Tunnel
Completed in 1905, this one mile long railroad tunnel provided access to the new passenger depot and the expanded freight yards south of King Street. The tunnel was built at the suggestion of City Engineer R.H. Thomson to relieve growing street . . . — Map (db m48167) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Hiram M. Chittenden LocksWhy Are The Locks Needed?
When dedicated on July 4, 1917, the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks was the largest navigation facility in North America. During the dedication, the USS Roosevelt - flagship for Commodore Robert Peary's famous 1909 expedition to the North Pole - led a . . . — Map (db m86455) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Indians Attack Seattle! Jan. 26, 1856Historical Point of Interest
. . . — Map (db m48120) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Information Booth1897- 1977
Dedicated June 16, 1977, the Pioneer Square information booth was constructed from portions of an ornate elevator cab from the Maynard Building. Idle for years, the cab was donated by Strand, Inc., and now continues in service to visitor’s to . . . — Map (db m48163) HM

480 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 280
Paid Advertisement