This beautiful river valley forms a natural north-south passage, used for centuries by Indians. Later came Hudsonís Bay Company fur brigades, packing pelts from Canada to Fort Okanogan. Hardly had the dust settled from the last brigade (1846) when . . . — — Map (db m129000) HM
In 1886, shortly after their arrival, Lee Ives and his wife Rena built two log cabins near the river bank and started taking in travelers. Their cabins were located very near this spot in what was to become Pateros.
Lee Ives built the Ive's . . . — — Map (db m129012) HM
The first to settle in the area were the Methow Indians. Although they moved frequently in summer to take advantage of various foods (berries, deer and roots), they usually wintered less than one mile from the mouth of the Methow River.
The . . . — — Map (db m128998) HM
By this time, Pateros had about 850 residents. The main street boasted more than forty businesses that included two grocery stores, Elgin Yeagerís Barber Shop, a hardware store, the Pateros Theater and two lumber yards, Brownson and Wagner. There . . . — — Map (db m128996) HM
Pateros has provided a hardy breed of men and women known for their independence, hard work, and patriotism. Over the last century hundreds have served in our armed forces to protect our American way of life. In the early 20th Century several . . . — — Map (db m129013) HM WM
Below this sign you can see the remnants of the China Ditch built by Chinese miners sometime between 1860 and 1880. This ditch carried water from a diversion point three miles up the Methow River to sluice gold from the Columbia River sandbars a . . . — — Map (db m128997) HM
In 1965, the entire downtown area of Pateros was destroyed when Wells Dam, located six miles downstream, was being constructed on the Columbia River. The entire downtown business district of Pateros was leveled. Paralleling the Columbia River, . . . — — Map (db m129014) HM
Here at the forks of the rushing Methow, Boston-bred Guy Waring founded Winthrop in 1891. Trappers, prospectors and homesteaders tramped into his frontier store. In '95 Colonel Thomas Hart came through to carve a narrow-gauge wagon road across the . . . — — Map (db m36497) HM