Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in West Virginia

1692 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1492
 
Skirmishing at Laurel Hill image, Touch for more information
By Craig Swain, July 24, 2010
Skirmishing at Laurel Hill
West Virginia (Barbour County), Belington — Battle of Laurel HillTempest on the Turnpike
Union and Confederate forces clashed along the Beverly-Fairmont Turnpike (the narrow paved road in the foreground) on July 7-11, 1861. Union General Morris was ordered to "amuse" General Garnett at Laurel Hill - to make him believe the main attack . . . — Map (db m34439) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Belington — Camp Belington
Union troops under Brigadier General T.A. Morris, advanced from Philippi on July 7, 1861 and established a fortified camp near this site. Battle of Belington took place July 7-11. Confederates were two miles to east at Laurel Hill. — Map (db m34424) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Belington — Camp Laurel HillA Key to Victory — The First Campaign —
On the nearby heights, Confederate General Robert Garnett's Army of Northwestern Virginia built fortifications to defend the Beverly-Fairmont Turnpike in June 1861. Many received their baptism of fire here as Garnett's 4,000 Confederates skirmished . . . — Map (db m34423) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Belington — Camp Laurel Hill
Fortified camp occupied by Confederates under Brig. Gen. Robert S. Garnett. June 16 - July 12, 1861. The scene of sharp skirmishes July 7-11. Garnett retreated early in the morning of July 12 after the Rich Mountain defeat. — Map (db m34425) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Belington — CannonsGrim Weapons of War
Confederate artillery was posted here. The cannons were placed behind protective earthworks, still faintly visible today. Their fire swept the Beverly-Fairmont Turnpike below. Model 1841 6-pounder field guns were used at Camp Laurel Hill. Although . . . — Map (db m34440) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Belington — Civil War
To honor all who served North and South April 12, 1861 to April 9, 1865 donated by Laurel Mountain Post 410 Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States Belington, West Virginia March 1, 1999 — Map (db m34447) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Belington — Civil War on the Beverly & Fairmont Turnpike
"A few dozen of us who had been swapping shots with the enemy's skirmishers, grew tired of the result less battle and by a common impulse - and I think without orders or officers, ran forward into the woods and attacked the Confederate works. We did . . . — Map (db m34456) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Belington — Confederate CemeteryFallen Heroes of Laurel Hill
Within this fenced burial ground lie Confederate soldiers who died at Laurel Hill. Their number is unknown. Inscribed headboards once marked the graves. During the Civil War, disease killed more men than bullets. One soldier reported 14 graves in . . . — Map (db m34441) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Belington — Forced FlightConfederates Abandon Laurel Hill
By July 10, 1861, Federal cannons bombarded the interior of Camp Laurel Hill. Confederates may have sought shelter among the boulders nearby. On July 11, General Garnett learned of defeat at Rich Mountain. Fearful of being trapped, Garnett ordered a . . . — Map (db m34445) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Belington — Laurel Hill
Battle of Laurel Hill, July 8, 1861, between Confederates and McClellan's army, followed by actions at Rich Mountain and Corrick's Ford, gave Federals control of State and established communication lines to the West. Fine view from peak. — Map (db m34426) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Belington — Laurel HillConfederate Encampment, 1861
Soldiers of the Confederate Army of the Northwest occupied this ground from June 16 to July 11, 1861. Led by General Robert S. Garnett, a West Point instructor of tactics, they dug fortifications on the Mustoe farm to block the Beverly-Fairmont . . . — Map (db m34437) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Belington — Meadowville
Meadowville, on the site of an Indian fort built in 1784, is a few miles north. New Jersey colonists settled there before 1800, and tavern, mills, and stores made it a trading center of the Tygarts Valley for a hundred years. — Map (db m34448) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Belington — Welcome to Camp Laurel HillGateway to the Northwest
Confederate forces retreated from this area after the "Philippi Races" (June 3, 1861), first land battle of the Civil War. At Huttonsville, 26 miles south, Confederate General Robert S. Garnett took command of the Army of the Northwest. His goal was . . . — Map (db m34455) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Junior — Barbour County / Randolph County
(South Facing Side): Barbour CountyFormed from Harrison, Lewis, and Randolph in 1843. It is named for a distinguished Virginia jurist, Philip Pendleton Barbour. Scene of opening hostilities on land between the armies of the North and . . . — Map (db m33928) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Philippi — Barbour County Korean War Memorial
Barbour County Post 44 Dedicated to all Barbour County Veterans who served in the Korean War. July 29, 1989 — Map (db m33701) WM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Philippi — Barbour County Vietnam Era Veterans Memorial
This monument and park are dedicated in sincere appreciation of all Barbour County Vietnam era Veterans who served this great nation - United States of America 1961 - 1973 Dedicated on May 25, 1987 by United States Senator John D. Rockefeller IV . . . — Map (db m33758) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Philippi — Barbour County War Memorial
(Front):1917 - 1919 In Memory of Oscar Granville Alexander Clayton Bosworth Brandon Jesse Gordon Cole Quincy C. Dadisman Okey E. Duckworth James Blaine Hovatter Everett Earl Ice David Oren Jones Fred E. Jones John Irvin Kramer Andrew . . . — Map (db m33708) WM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Philippi — Battle of PhilippiTalbott's Hill — The First Campaign —
(Preface):In the spring of 1861, Union forces rushed into northwestern Virginia to secure the vital Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, protect important turnpikes, and support Unionists against Confederates. The two sides fought numerous . . . — Map (db m58700) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Philippi — Birthplace - W.D. Zinn
One mile east is Woodbine Farm, birthplace of W.D. Zinn, noted farmer, writer and lecturer. He contributed much to scientific farming in this and adjoining states. "The Story of Woodbine Farm" is an autobiography of his work. — Map (db m33776) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Philippi — First Land Battle
First land battle between the North and South here, June 3, 1861. Confederates under Col. Porterfield were dislodged by Federal troops from Gen. McClellan's army under Col. Kelley. The old covered bridge here was used by both armies. — Map (db m33777) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Philippi — Historic Campbell School
(Front): After the Civil War, Barbour County residents built this one-room school house near Volga, 8 miles SW. As one of the county's first free schools, it was the center of education for hundreds of children, providing instruction for . . . — Map (db m33815) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Philippi — PhilippiThe Confederate Retreat — The First Campaign —
Col. George A. Porterfield moved his newly recruited Confederates from Grafton on May 28, 1861, after receiving word of a Federal advance on the B&O Railroad. Porterfield's force a Philippi totaled no more than 775 volunteers. Few were fully trained . . . — Map (db m33672) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Philippi — Philippi
Originally called Anglin's Ford for William Anglin but later named Booth's Ferry for Daniel Booth. Near by in 1780, Richard, Cottrill, and Charity Talbott settled. Philippi was named for Judge Philip Pendleton Barbour. — Map (db m33702) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Philippi — PhilippiThe Commands — The First Campaign —
Col. Benjamin F. Kelley Kelley, a railroad agent in Philadelphia and former resident of Wheeling, was called back to command the First Virginia (Union) Infantry - the first Union regiment raised in the South. He planned and led the attack on . . . — Map (db m33760) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Philippi — PhilippiThe Federal Attack — The First Campaign —
On June 2, 1861, Federal troops advanced on Philippi from the Baltimore & Ohio rail hub at Grafton in two columns of about 1500 men each. The left column, under Col. Benjamin Kelley, took the train six miles east to Thornton, and then marched south . . . — Map (db m33816) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Philippi — PhilippiThe Casualties
As Col Benjamin Kelley’s Federals pursued the Confederates through Philippi, he was shot in the upper right chest by Col. George A. Porterfield’s quartermaster. A surgeon declared it a mortal wound but Kelley recovered. In a show of respect, his men . . . — Map (db m63852) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Philippi — The Covered Bridge
The Philippi Covered Bridge across Tygart Valley River was built in 1852 by Lemuel Chenoweth of Beverly. Made of wood, with the exception of the iron bolts used to hold the segments together, it is an example of the best in covered bridge . . . — Map (db m33665) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Philippi — The Philippi Covered BridgePhilippi, WV — Scene of the First Land Battle of the Civil War —
Constructed in 1852 by Lemuel Chenoweth; masonry by Emanuel J. O'Brien, cost $12,151.24. The covered bridge, erected in 1852, is the only two-lane bridge in the federal highway system. During the Civil War the bridge served both North and South in . . . — Map (db m33762) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Valley Furnace — Valley Furnace
Iron ore was discovered here, 1835, by John Johnson. The Old Iron Furnace, built, 1848, was operated for six years by C.W. Bryant and Isaac Marsh. In 1850, a steam engine replaced the water power used to run fan air blast. Charcoal was fuel used. . . . — Map (db m33929) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Bunker Hill — "Morgan Acres"
Two miles west is the site of the first house in present West Virginia. It was built by Col. Morgan Morgan who came from Delaware in 1726. It was destroyed and the one now there was built in 1800 by another Morgan. — Map (db m57717) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Bunker Hill — Christ Church
First Episcopal Church in West Virginia Established 1740 by Col. Morgan Morgan known as Morgan's Chapel Present building 1851 — Map (db m12848) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Bunker Hill — Christ Church
300 yards west is one of the oldest Episcopal churches in West Virginia. Built in 1740 by Morgan Morgan. Five Revolutionary soldiers buried in church yard. Used as a barracks during war between the states. — Map (db m134064) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Bunker Hill — Col. Morgan Morgan
Nov. 1, 1688 — Nov. 17, 1766. Erected by the State of West Virginia. In commemoration of the first settlement within the present boundaries of said State, which was made by Col. Morgan Morgan, a native of Wales, and Catherine Garretson, . . . — Map (db m1169) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Bunker Hill — James Johnston Pettigrew Monument
Due west of this tablet, 650 feet, is the Boyd House in which died, July 17, 1863, Brig.-Gen. James Johnston Pettigrew, of North Carolina, C. S. A. At Gettysburg he commanded and led Heth’s Division in the assault on Cemetery Ridge, July 3; and in . . . — Map (db m2615) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Bunker Hill — Jefferson County / Berkeley County
Jefferson County. Formed, 1801, from Berkeley. Named for Thomas Jefferson. Home of Gens. Gates, Darke, and Charles Lee. Here four companies of Washington’s men organized. Shepherdstown was strongly urged as the seat of the National Capitol. . . . — Map (db m3449) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Bunker Hill — Morgan Cabin
Originally built 1731-34 as second home of Morgan Morgan-first white settler in West Virginia. Rebuilt with some of original logs in 1976 as a State and County Bicentennial project. It was here during the Revolution that James Morgan, the grandson . . . — Map (db m12798) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Bunker Hill — Morgan ChapelWashington Heritage Trail
At Bunker Hill in 1726, Colonel Morgan Morgan founded the first permanent settlement of record in what is now West Virginia. In commemoration of this event, the state of West Virginia has erected a monument in Bunker Hill State Park, and has placed . . . — Map (db m134056) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Bunker Hill — Morgan Morgan
Morgan Morgan, a native of Wales, established his home at Bunker Hill before 1732, and was leader in Eastern Panhandle’s early development. His sons gave name to Morgantown, and fought in Indian and Revolutionary Wars. — Map (db m1176) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Darkesville — Darkesville
Named for Gen. William Darke, veteran of the Revolution and the Indian wars. He saves the remnants of St. Clair’s army from massacre in 1791 when badly defeated by the Miami Indians. His son Capt. Joseph Darke, lost his life. — Map (db m1979) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Falling Waters — 1862 Antietam CampaignLee Invades Maryland
Fresh from victory at the Second Battle of Manassas, Gen. Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia crossed the Potomac River on September 4-6, 1862, to bring the Civil War to Northern soil and to recruit sympathetic Marylanders. Union Gen. George . . . — Map (db m60605) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Falling Waters — Battle of Falling WatersStuart’s Surprise
Here at Stumpy’s Hollow on the morning of July 2, 1861, Confederate Lieutenant Colonel J.E.B. Stuart captured a Union infantry company almost single-handedly. The Federals – Company I, fifteenth Pennsylvania Volunteers – were acting as . . . — Map (db m45596) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Falling Waters — Battle of Falling WatersCrockett-Porterfield House
On the morning of July 2, 1861, Federal troops under General Robert Patterson crossed the Potomac River from Maryland and marched toward Martinsburg. Confederate Colonel Thomas J. Jackson’s command marched from Camp Stephens, four miles north of . . . — Map (db m45605) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Falling Waters — Battle of Falling WatersHarper’s 5th Virginia Infantry
On the morning of July 2, 1861, Federal troops under General Robert Patterson crossed the Potomac River from Maryland and marched toward Martinsburg. Confederate Colonel Thomas J. Jackson’s command marched from Camp Stephens, four miles north of . . . — Map (db m58078) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Falling Waters — Battle of Falling WatersFour Apostles of the 1st Rockbridge Artillery
On the morning of July 2, 1861, Federal troops under General Robert Patterson crossed the Potomac River from Maryland and marched toward Martinsburg. Confederate Colonel Thomas J. Jackson’s command marched from Camp Stephens, four miles north of . . . — Map (db m58080) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Falling Waters — Battles of Falling Waters“A splendid falls”
During the Civil War, the strategically important Valley Turnpike crossed the stream just above the small waterfall here. Two battles were fought nearby. The first occurred on July 2, 1861, half a mile south on the Porterfield Farm. On the morning . . . — Map (db m58083) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Falling Waters — Stumpy’s HollowJuly 2, 1861
Site of JEB Stuart’s capture of Union Soldiers Falling Waters Battlefield Association — Map (db m45769) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Falling Waters — Watkins' Ferry
By an act of the Virginia House of Burgesses, 1744, a ferry was established extending from the mouth of the Canagochego Creek in Maryland across the Patowmack to the Evan Watkins Landing, about 250 yards southeast. This landing was also the entrance . . . — Map (db m131795) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Falling Waters — West Virginia(Berkeley County)
"The Mountain State"—western part of the Commonwealth of Virginia until June 20, 1863. Settled by the Germans and Scotch-Irish. It became a line of defense between the English and French during the French and Indian War, 1754-1763. . . . — Map (db m131797) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Gerrardstown — Gerard House
Built by John Hays, 1743. Became home of Reverend David Gerard, who founded Gerrardstown in 1787. His father was Reverend John Gerard, the first Baptist Minister west of the Blue Ridge Mountains. — Map (db m12793) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Gerrardstown — Gerrardstown
Established as a town, 1787. Named for John Gerrard, first pastor of Mill Creek Baptist Church, which was organized by early settlers about 1743. The congregation reorganized after Indian hostilities during the French and Indian War. — Map (db m12791) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Gerrardstown — Mill Creek Baptist Church
Site of Mill Creek Baptist Church Organized prior to 1742 Grand-parent of First Baptist Church Martinsburg, West Va. — Map (db m14596) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Hedgesville — Battle of North Mountain Depot
This boulder marks the site on Camp Hill where the batteries were fired during the War Between the States in the raid on the federal blockhouse, located at North Mountain. On July 4, 1864, the 14th, 16th, and 17th Regiments of General McCausland's . . . — Map (db m117317) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Hedgesville — Camp HopkinsMemorial to a Friend
In December 1862, Union Gen. Benjamin F. Kelley stationed detachments of the 54th Pennsylvania and 1st West Virginia Infantry regiments here to guard and repair the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, a main supply route between the Ohio River and the . . . — Map (db m58628) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Hedgesville — Hedgesville
Site of stockade fort built during the early Indian wars. Mt. Zion Episcopal Church was built soon after. A mile west is the tavern, built, 1740–1750, by Robert Snodgrass on land patented in 1732 by William Snodgrass, pioneer settler. — Map (db m990) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Hedgesville — Hedgesville Historic District National Register SiteWashington Heritage Trail
During the French and Indian War (c. 1750) Virginia Militia Col. George Washington supervised the construction of Fort Hedges, a stockade fort built along the Warm Spring Road at the heavily-traveled Skinner's gap atop North Mountain (740 feet . . . — Map (db m117316) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Kearneysville — Stone House MansionWest Virginia 9 — Charles Town to Martinsburg —
Stone House Mansion, predominantly Georgian in style, was constructed in 1757, and is one of the oldest stone structures in Berkeley County. The property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places for its association with the Hite vs. . . . — Map (db m132442) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — “Oh Shenandoah, I Long to See You!”
“Big Apple Time Capsule” • Dedicated: Oct 19, 1990 – Re-open in year of 2040 • Sponsor: Martinsburg Jaycees. This “community pride project” is an attempt to preserve the Apple Capital city and surrounding areas of . . . — Map (db m1212) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — 224 - 226 West King Street
Built as a YMCA in 1908. Constructed in the eclectic mission style. Used as the Martinsburg City Hall from 1932-1988. — Map (db m132408) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Adam Stephen House309 East John Street — 1774-1789 —
This structure was constructed of native limestone by Revolutionary War General Adam Stephen, founder of Martinsburg. Restored by the City of Martinsburg and the Adam Stephen Memorial Association, Inc. — Map (db m132404) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Adam Stephen House – 309 East John StreetWashington Heritage Trail
Adam Stephen (1720-1791) had a close acquaintance with George Washington through their association with Lord Fairfax and from their military involvements from the French & Indian War through the American Revolution. Stephen was present with . . . — Map (db m132402) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Avenue of Flags Monument
The colonial village of Martinsburg was established by law enacted by the General Assemply of the Commonwealth of Virginia on October 21, 1778. Martinsburg’s founder was General Adam Stephen, a noted soldier of the American Revolutionary War. . . . — Map (db m1978) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Shop Complex
The roundhouse is the sole surviving cast-iron framed roundhouse and is an important example of mid-19th century industrial building design. Designed by Albert Fink, in collaboration with Benjamin H. Latrobe, it represents an early use of . . . — Map (db m1199) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Baltimore and Ohio Roundhouse and Shop Complex
National Civil Engineering Landmark. The re-construction of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Roundhouse and Shop Complex commenced soon after the end of the American Civil War in 1865. This complex included two roundhouses and two significant . . . — Map (db m17373) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Battle of Falling WatersJackson’s Coolness Under Fire
On the morning of July 2, 1861, Federal troops under Gen. Robert Patterson crossed the Potomac River from Maryland and marched south toward Martinsburg. Colonel Thomas J. Jackson sent his men north from their camp north of town to block them and to . . . — Map (db m41631) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Belle Boyd House126 E. Race Street — Built 1853 —
Built in 1853 by Benjamin Reed Boyd, a merchant, Confederate soldier and the father of Belle Boyd. Belle Boyd was a famous Confederate spy author and actress. — Map (db m45854) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Belle Boyd HouseHome of a Spy — Antietam Campaign —
Isabelle “Belle” Boyd, the Confederate spy, lived here during part of her childhood. The ten-year-old and her family moved here in 1853 and left in 1858 for a dwelling (no longer standing) on South Queen Street. According to Boyd, when . . . — Map (db m63496) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Berkeley HotelRailroad Raids Survivor
This is one of the last surviving antebellum buildings in the area. It was constructed shortly after the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad reached Martinsburg in 1842. The adjacent railroad yards twice were Confederate Gen. Thomas J. . . . — Map (db m58629) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Boarman House208 S. Queen Street — Built 1802 —
One of the earliest brick buildings constructed in Martinsburg. Home of Rear Admiral Charles Boarman, who served in the War of 1812 and the Civil War. — Map (db m132397) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Boydville
Built, 1812, by Elisha Boyd, general in the War of 1812, on land bought from Gen. Adam Stephen. Mansion noted for its fine workmanship. Home of his son-in-law, Charles J. Faulkner, Minister to France, and his grandson, U.S. Senator Faulkner. — Map (db m983) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Civil War MartinsburgFocus of Contention
Martinsburg, strategically located on the Valley Turnpike, (present day U.S. Route 11) and the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, was a major transportation center and the northern gateway to the Shenandoah Valley. Both sides contested for it frequently . . . — Map (db m88507) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Continental Clay Brick WorksWest Virginia 9 — Charles Town to Martinsburg —
Local lawyer and newspaper editor, F. Vernon [unreadable], established the Continental Clay Brick works on a portion of his family farm in [unreadable]. Ten beehive kilns were initially constructed to fire the bricks after they were molded. Brick . . . — Map (db m132440) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — First Electrified HouseIn Martinsburg, W. Va.
This home was provided with electric service in 1890 by the Edison Electric Illuminating Company, a predecessor of the Potomac Edison Company Commemorated 3 December 1969 — Map (db m132406) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Fort Evans
Fort Evans, built here, 1755, was attacked by Indians, 1756. The men were absent but Polly Evans, whose husband, John, had built the fort, led the women in its defense. The Big Spring here was noted camping ground of both armies, 1861-1865. . . . — Map (db m134041) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Fort Neally
During the French and Indian War, Fort Neally was captured and its garrison massacred, Sept. 17, 1756. Many settlers in the vicinity also were killed. Among captives was Isabella Stockton, later wife of William McCleery, Morgantown. — Map (db m12790) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Gen. Adam Stephen
Here was home of General Adam Stephen, founder of Martinsburg and county's first sheriff. Was famous as fighter in French and Indian Wars, and as major general in the American Revolutionary War. — Map (db m12786) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — General “Stonewall” Jackson
In Memory of General “Stonewall” Jackson This tablet is erected by the Berkeley County Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy to commemorate an instance of General Jackson’s remarkable bravery at all times in the face of the gravest . . . — Map (db m41626) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — General Adam Stephen House and Triple Brick Museum
Founder of Martinsburg, First Sheriff of Berkeley County, Statesman, Soldier, Surgeon National Register of Historic Places Oct. 15, 1970 — Map (db m12788) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Gettysburg CampaignInvasion & Retreat
After stunning victories at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, Virginia, early in May 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee carried the war through Maryland, across the Mason and Dixon Line and into Pennsylvania. His infantry marched north through . . . — Map (db m1975) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Girlhood Home of Belle Boyd
Site of girlhood home of Belle Boyd Confederate spy 1845-1899 — Map (db m132398) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Hammond HouseHeadquarters and Hospital
Dr. Allen C. Hammond constructed this Greek Revival-style house about 1838. During the Civil War, both sides used it periodically for a headquarters or a hospital. The war ruined Hammond, a strong Southern sympathizer. In October 1859, Hammond’s . . . — Map (db m72164) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Harry Flood Byrd
On this site Harry Flood Byrd was born June 10, 1887 Member of the Virginia Senate, 1916-1925 Governor of Virginia, 1926-1930 U.S. Senator from 1933. — Map (db m132399) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — J. R. Clifford
Born 1848 in Hardy Co. A Civil War vet., Storer College graduate, teacher and principal at local Sumner School. Published Pioneer Press (1882), first African American paper in state. First of race to pass state bar exam (1887); argued two . . . — Map (db m1210) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Major General Adam Stephen1718 - 1791 — Patriot – Legislator – Founder —
. . . — Map (db m132409) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Market House100 North Queen Street — 1846-1847 —
One of Martinsburg's Gothic Revival masterpieces and once its central marketplace. The structure has been used commercially with the Masons and Odd Fellows halls overhead. — Map (db m132400) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Martinsburg
Founded, 1778, by Gen. Adam Stephen. Named for Thomas Martin, nephew of Lord Fairfax. Home of Admirals Charles Boarman and C.K. Stribling. Locomotives seized here, 1861, in Jackson’s raid were drawn by horses to Winchester, Va. — Map (db m1973) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Martinsburg / Berkeley Riflemen
Martinsburg. Established, 1778, by Gen. Adam Stephen. Named for Col. Thomas Martin, nephew of Lord Fairfax. Home of Admiral C.K. Stribling and Admiral Charles Boarman. In Jackson’s raid, 1861, captured B&O locomotives were drawn by horses to . . . — Map (db m1976) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Martinsburg RoundhouseJackson and the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad — Antietam Campaign —
In April 1861, as the Civil War erupted, Confederate forces seized the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad from Harpers Ferry west. On May 24, Gen. Joseph E. Johnston ordered Col. Thomas J. (later “Stonewall”) Jackson to destroy the rolling . . . — Map (db m1200) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Norbourne Parish CemeterySouth side of South Street — Established 1772 —
Site of the original Trinity Episcopal Church, founded as part of the Church of England. — Map (db m134028) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Old Berkeley County Jail420 South Raleigh Street — Built 1892 —
This High Victorian Gothic structure served as the Berkeley County jail for one hundred years. — Map (db m134016) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Old Federal Building
125 S. Maple Avenue. Completed 1895. Constructed using the Richardson-Romanesque Style of architecture, this building served as a Post Office and United States Courthouse. — Map (db m1977) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Old High School401 South Queen Street — Built 1883 —
This High Victorian Gothic structure which served as the Martinsburg High School, now howses the Berkeley County Board of Education office. — Map (db m132394) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Old Methodist Church201 East John Street — Built 1795 —
This structure was originally constructed as a dwelling and was later used as a house of worship from 1812-1842 by the Methodist Episcopal Church. — Map (db m134000) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Old Stone House302 South Water Street — Constructed prior to 1779 —
Constructed of native limestone, this house is considered among the earliest built in Martinsburg. — Map (db m132407) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Old Worsted and Cassimere Mills
The woolen mills were located in the buildings on the south side of the street and the cassimere mills on the north. Outstanding examples of industrial architecture. — Map (db m134032) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Pack Horse Road
First road constructed in the present Berkeley and Jefferson Counties of West Virginia. Built ca. 1727, it followed the route of an older Indian path that was a branch of the Warrior’s Path. Berkeley County Historic Landmarks . . . — Map (db m134052) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Roundhouses and Shops / Railroad Strike of 1877
Roundhouses and Shops. The B&O Railroad reached Martinsburg in 1842, and by 1849, a roundhouse and shops were built. These first buildings were burned by Confederate troops in 1862. The present west roundhouse and the two shops were built . . . — Map (db m1197) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Site of Belle Boyd Home
Famous Confederate Spy. Here on July 4, 1861, Belle Boyd, at the age of 17, shot and killed a Union soldier. She was imprisoned on several occasions as a result of her later spying activities. — Map (db m982) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — St. John's Catholic CemeteryNorth side of South Street — 1802 —
The first Catholic Church of Martinsburg was located on this site from 1825 to 1843. — Map (db m134023) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — St. Joseph's Catholic Church219 South Queen Street — 1845-1860 —
This Romanesque Revival Church was begin in 1845 and dedicated in 1860. George Whitson, local architect, designed the Greek portico with the Gothic spire in 1888. [Bottom plaque] Most Reverend Bernard Schmitt, D.D. Designated . . . — Map (db m132395) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Sumner-Ramer Memorial School515 West Martin Street
The present building was completed in 1917 under the leadership of Fred R. Ramer. He was the first principal in Berkeley County to have a school named after him. Ramer school served the black community until 1964. — Map (db m1211) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Triple Brick Building – 311-313 East John StreetWashington Heritage Trail
Built in the mid-1870s by Philip Showers, who owned the adjacent stone house (the Adam Stephen House) at that time, the Triple Brick Building was listed in early tax records as the "Tribble (Triple) House" or "the brick house divided into . . . — Map (db m132401) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Triple Brick Museum313 East John Street — Built 1874 —
This structure was originally constructed as three apartments by Philip Showers to house railroad workers. — Map (db m132405) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Van Metre Ford Bridge
Named for the property owners this stone bridge built in 1832 across Opequon Creek was major improvement for travellers on Warm Springs Road connecting Alexandria and Bath, Va., site of famous mineral waters. The Berkeley County Court established a . . . — Map (db m12849) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Veterans Administration Center
Established as the Newton D. Baker General Hospital, U.S. Army. Named for Newton D. Baker, native of Martinsburg and Secretary of War, World War I. Opened for patients in 1944. It became Veterans Administration Center in 1946. — Map (db m12784) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Welcome to the City of MartinsburgFounded in 1778 by General Adam Stephen
The Founder Born around 1720 in Scotland, Stephen received a surgeon's degree from the University of Edinburgh in 1746. He came to America in 1748, settling in Fredericksburg, Va., where he practiced as a doctor. In 1754 he joined the Virginia . . . — Map (db m132396) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — World War Memorial
1917-1918. This memorial is dedicated as an enduring tribute to the patriotism of the citizens of Berkeley County who rendered loyal service to our country in the great World War, and to honor the memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice . . . — Map (db m1256) WM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsville — Swan Pond Manor
1.5 miles north is Swan Pond Manor, a 2,000 acre retreat set aside in 1745 for use by Thomas, Lord Fairfax, once the proprietor of the Northern Neck of Virginia who established an estate at Greenway Court, Frederick County in 1738. So named because . . . — Map (db m92579) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Nollville — Tuscarora Church
Tuscarora Presbyterian Church, which was built before 1745 by Scotch-Irish Presbyterians. Rev. Hugh Vance, first pastor, is buried here. During Indian days, worshipers hung their guns on pegs in the walls while they sang and prayed. — Map (db m92578) HM
West Virginia (Boone County), Nellis — Nellis / ARMCO Coal
Founded in 1917 by T. E. B. Siler and M. Slush; named for newspaper editor Frank Nellis. Purchased by ARMCO in 1920. Noted as model coal mining town. Homes were built by Minter of Huntington. ARMCO Assoc. Building, in center of town, housed . . . — Map (db m137428) HM
West Virginia (Boone County), Nellis — Nellis No. 3 Mine ExplosionSaturday November 6, 1943 7:00 p.m.
William C. Barker • Julias Domokos • Lester Gunnoe • William H. Gunnoe • O’Dell Linville • Onal O. Miller • John Setliff • Steve Turkovitch • Lawrence J. Vincent • John Williams • William O. Workman — • — On Saturday, November 6, . . . — Map (db m137442) HM
West Virginia (Boone County), Peytona — Coal Discovered
John Peter Salley (Salling) and companions discovered coal near here in 1742 on their exploring trip from the Greenbrier River. They followed the Coal River to its junction with The Great Kanawha River at St. Albans. — Map (db m137510) HM
West Virginia (Boone County), Peytona — Indian Camp
Under rock overhang across highway was an Indian camp site. Here were found several burials. One occupation, Fort Ancient, dates from A.D. 1400; another, Buck Garden, from A.D. 1000. Pottery and other artifacts were found. — Map (db m137446) HM
West Virginia (Boone County), Peytona — John Edward Kenna
To the north, birthplace and home of John Edward Kenna, U. S. Senator and prominent figure in the early life of this State. His statue stands among the notables of other States in the Hall of Columns in the national capitol in Washington. — Map (db m137454) HM
West Virginia (Boone County), Peytona — Peytona
Named for William Madison Peyton, father of navigation on Coal River, who promoted and actively engaged in coal mining. As chief engineer for the Coal River Navigation Company, he locked and dammed Coal River in the 1840’s and made it . . . — Map (db m137511) HM
West Virginia (Boone County), Whitesville — Battle of Coal RiverSeptember 12, 1861
War comes to the Big Coal River. Emboldened by a resounding victory against Confederates at Boone Court House (Madison), Union General Cox ordered Federal troops back into the Coal River Valley. This time the target was the Big Coal River. . . . — Map (db m137753) HM
West Virginia (Boone County), Whitesville — Big Coal RiverAn Important and Historical Water Trail Serving Man and Industry — Coal Heritage Trail —
The Coal River is a tributary of the Kanawha River in southern West Virginia. It is formed near the community of Alum Creek by the confluence of the Big and Little Coal Rivers. The Coal River flows generally northward through western Kanawha County, . . . — Map (db m137542) HM
West Virginia (Boone County), Whitesville — The Whitesville School
Completed as Sherman District Jr. High in 1931. Whitesville School replaced a building that burned down in 1929. Wysong and Bengston designed the rare example of high-style Art Deco architecture in the southern West Virginia coalfields. Since . . . — Map (db m137755) HM
West Virginia (Boone County), Whitesville — Upper Big Branch Mine Explosion — 5 April 2010 —
Following the footprint. Every mine explosion leaves behind a footprint that offers clues to investigators as to where the blast originated and how the force traveled from the ignition point. The footprint left behind in the Upper Big Branch . . . — Map (db m137546) HM
West Virginia (Boone County), Whitesville — Upper Big Branch Mine ExplosionA Synopsis of Key Events — April 5, to April 13, 2010 —
Monday, April 5 3:01 p.m. Explosion erupts through the mine, blasting debris out of the portals and lasting for several minutes. The carbon monoxide monitoring system alarms and mine fan records show a major disruption to . . . — Map (db m137549) HM
West Virginia (Boone County), Whitesville — Upper Big Branch Miners MemorialCome to Me All Those Who Labor and I Will Give You Rest — Dedicated July 27, 2012 —
This memorial is dedicated to twenty-nine miners who lost their lives in an explosion at the Upper Big Branch Coal Mine on April 5th, 2010 and to all miners who have suffered injury, illness or death as a result of working in the coal industry. This . . . — Map (db m137751) HM
West Virginia (Boone County), Whitesville — West Virginia Coal Mine Disasters
1907 Fairmont Coal Company Monongah No. 6 and No. 8 Mines Monongah, West Virginia At 10:20 a.m., December 6, 1907, explosions occurred at the No. 6 and No. 8 mines at Monongah, West Virginia. The explosions ripped through the mines, . . . — Map (db m137748) HM
West Virginia (Braxton County), Bulltown — Bulltown / Bulltown Battle
Bulltown Important point in plan of Washington to establish water transportation to West. Salt was made here as early as 1792. Attack of whites in 1772 upon Captain Bull's Indian village here was among the causes of Dunmore's War. . . . — Map (db m37050) HM
West Virginia (Braxton County), Burnsville — Braxton County/Gilmore County
Braxton County Formed in 1836 from Lewis, Kanawha, and Nicholas. Named for Carter Braxton, signer of the Declaration of Independence. Washington planned to establish important point in project for western communication in this county. Gilmore . . . — Map (db m73419) HM
West Virginia (Braxton County), Burnsville — Town of Burnsville
Area first settled in 1798; Payton Byrnes came in 1830. First known as Lumberport in 1866, when Capt. John Burns established first saw mill in area. Incorporated by county in 1902 and named for Burns. — Map (db m50025) HM
West Virginia (Braxton County), Frametown — America's Guard of Honor
Dedicated to the memory of all Paratroopers and Gliderman who spearheaded all major invasions by dropping behind enemy lines to secure military objectives. "Lest We Forget" whose courage, dedication and traditions make them America's finest. — Map (db m70903) WM
West Virginia (Braxton County), Napier — Battle of Bulltown"Come and take us"
On the hill in front of you are two fortifications that Union Gen. George B. McClellan ordered constructed late in1861. They guarded the wooden covered bridge located here on the Weston and Gauley Bridge Turnpike. In October 1863, Capt. William H. . . . — Map (db m58727) HM
West Virginia (Braxton County), Sutton — The Burning of SuttonvillePartisan Attack
In 1861, Col. Erastus B. Tyler’s 7th Ohio Infantry constructed earthworks near Suttonville to protect the suspension bridge across the Elk River. Later in the year, Capt. Weston Rowand’s Co. K, 1st Virginia Cavalry (US), about a hundred men, . . . — Map (db m58728) HM
West Virginia (Braxton County), Sutton — The War and SuttonvilleChanging Occupations — Jones-Imboden Raid —
(Preface): On April 20, 1863, Confederate Gens. William E. “Grumble” Jones and John D. Imboden began a raid from Virginia through present-day West Virginia against the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. Taking separate routes, . . . — Map (db m58729) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Beech Bottom — Beech Bottom Fort
Near here stood Beech Bottom Fort, which was with Fort Pitt and Fort Henry in the group of posts guarding the western borders during the Revolution and its attendant Indian wars. Troops from Fort Pitt helped garrison this important . . . — Map (db m54915) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Bethany — Alexander Campbell
Here lived the leading influence in America's largest indigenous religious movement, Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), and founder of Bethany College. Built in four periods: the John Brown Mansion, completed in 1793; Buffalo Seminary, in 1819; . . . — Map (db m20826) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Bethany — Archibald McLean
Born in Prince Edward Island, Canada, September 4, 1849 Died December 15, 1920 Fourth President of Bethany College For thirty-nine years Chief Executive of the Foreign Christian Missionary Society Every missionary sent to . . . — Map (db m20836) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Bethany — Bethany / Bethany College
Side A Bethany Here Scots-Irish Alexander Campbell founded a religious movement which he called the Disciples of Christ. In this place Amos Dolbear perfected parts of the telephone, and longtime Speaker of the House "Champ" Clark, . . . — Map (db m79899) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Bethany — Bethany / Rice's Fort
Side A Bethany Bethany College, established here in 1840, oldest school of college rank in State. The home and the study of Alexander Campbell, founder, are here. Prof. A. E. Dolbear here perfected parts of the telephone, which Bell . . . — Map (db m79900) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Bethany — Bethany Church of Christ
Bethany Church of Christ, the oldest church building in Bethany, was built in 1852 according to plans drawn by Alexander Campbell, founder of Bethany College and leader in the Disciples Movement. Its foundation is built of stone from the original . . . — Map (db m20830) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Bethany — Campbell Cemetery
Here are buried the Campbell family; the first missionaries, other prominent leaders in the Disciples Movement, presidents and distinguished teachers of Bethany College. The seven foot hand hewed stonewall is a unique feature of Cemetery. — Map (db m20963) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Bethany — Delta Tau Delta Birthplace
In this house, 8 Bethany College Students - William Cunningham, John Johnson, Alexander Earle, Richard Alfred, Eugene Tarr, Henry Bell, John Hunt and Jacob Lowe - Met in 1858 and founded Delta Tau Delta. This social fraternity soon spread across the . . . — Map (db m20849) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Bethany — Renner Union - Bethany House
Dedicated to R. Richard Renner, M.D. '17 and Jennie Steindorf Renner '22 A major grant from the Renner Foundation, which was matched by alumni gifts, made possible, in 1970, the complete remodeling of Bethany House built in 1948. Henry Clay . . . — Map (db m79901) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Bethany — Thomas CampbellFather of Alexander & Archibald W. Campbell
Born in County Down, Ireland, Feb. 1, 1763, and died at the residence of his son Alexander, Jan. 4, 1851, aged 91 years, 11 mthns, five days. Many years a minister of the Secession Presbyterian Church in Ireland and Scotland. In the United States . . . — Map (db m20835) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Colliers — St. John's Episcopal Church
Founded in 1793 by Joseph Doddridge. It is the first Episcopal Church west of the Alleghenies and the oldest continuous worshipping congregation within this religious body in West Virginia. The first church, made of logs, was burned by Indians. . . . — Map (db m79897) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Follansbee — Fort Decker
John Decker built a fort of logs and stone on a site just north of State St. near Ohio River, 1774. Leaden bullets and arrowheads found here on the river bank signify Native American attack on the fort from Mingo Island. — Map (db m21605) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — 1788 Wells Log House
Constructed by Alexander Wells at 65 Washington St., Buffaloe, Virginia (present day Third St., Wellsburg, West Virginia) The Wells Log House was, and is, in the “National Register of Historic Places” District of . . . — Map (db m21634) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Bethany Turnpike Tunnels
First highway tunnels constructed west of Alleghenies. They were built in 1831 by Richard Waugh at personal expense to ease transportation to his flour mills. The tunnels, a mile apart, were removed by the State in 1957. — Map (db m21614) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Brooke County Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the men and women from Brooke County who have honorably served in the armed forces of our country in time of war and peace — Map (db m21616) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Drovers Inn
Constructed by John Fowler, 1848-51 with bricks fired on the property. First known as Fowler's Inn, the house provided food and lodging for drovers herding livestock over the Wellsburg-Washington Turnpike to eastern markets. Other services provided . . . — Map (db m42167) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — George Washington Crossing, 1770
George Washington began a journey on October 5, 1770 to the Ohio Country to see lands he had fought to win and now hoped to own. After a trip, on November 3, up the Kanawha River, the party headed back up the Ohio River. On November 17, they reached . . . — Map (db m33913) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Grimes Golden Apple
Watering trough marks location of first Grimes Golden Apple tree, discovered by owner of land, Thomas Grimes, in 1802. Memorial Trough sponsored by the Franklin Country Women's Club in 1922. — Map (db m70931) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Isaac Duvall and Company
The first glass house in Western Virginia was built at Charlestown, now Wellsburg, in 1813, by Isaac Taylor Duvall and Company. It was located on the southeast corner of Fifth and Yankee Streets. Cobalt blue, green and clear flint glass wares were . . . — Map (db m39642) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Miller's Tavern
Built by John Henderson prior to 1798 in Federal style, the building was leased by William Miller and operated as a tavern for 50 years. Since 1974 building has housed the Brooke County Museum. — Map (db m21628) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Patrick Gass1771-1870
Sergeant on the Lewis and Clark Expedition, he published the first account of that exploration in 1807 Veteran of the War of 1812, he fought in the Battle of Lundy's Lane and at Fort Erie Citizen of Wellsburg for more than . . . — Map (db m21629) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Patrick Gass
Born 12 June 1771, Gass served as carpenter for Lewis and Clark. The expedition explored and studied the land, waterways, animal life, natural features and resources of the West. Gass's journal of trip was published in 1807. Soldier in the War of . . . — Map (db m39731) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Patrick M. Gass1771 - 1870
The grave of Patrick M. Gass, a sergeant on the Lewis and Clark Expedition and a soldier of the War of 1812 is located in this cemetery. His wife Maria is buried beside him. Placed by the Lewis and Clark Trail Heritage . . . — Map (db m54977) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — The Lewis and Clark Connection
The Corps of Discovery, under the command of Meriwether Lewis and William Clark, was the first official expedition through the interior of the North American Continent sponsored by the United States. Captain Meriwether Lewis passed Charles Town . . . — Map (db m21639) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — The Wellsburg United Methodist ChurchA Fellowship of Believers For More Than Two Centuries
Methodism in Wellsburg dates back to 1787 with the establishment of the “Ohio Circuit.” Early services were held in “The Academy” on High Street. Bishop Asbury preached at the courthouse on September 6, 1803. On April . . . — Map (db m21635) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Waugh Flour Mills
Four flour mills were constructed near Wellsburg in the early 1800s. The first of these mills was built by John Moore in 1800. Moore's son-in-law, Richard Waugh, built the old stone mill in 1824, and the upper mill in 1835. A. M. Buchanan built the . . . — Map (db m79898) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Wellsburg
Established in 1791. Brooke Academy, started, 1778, incorporated in 1799. Here lived Joseph Doddridge, the author of "Frontier Notes," and Patrick Gass, member of the Lewis and Clark Expedition and author of its "Journal." — Map (db m39699) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Wellsburg Wharf
In the 1790's, flatboats left here with their cargoes for southern markets. To accommodate and store products, warehouses and wharfs were built along our river banks. This wharf, which was established in the 1800's, extended twenty feet out in the . . . — Map (db m21637) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Wellsburg's Giant Sycamore
This giant Sycamore tree stands at the top of the Wellsburg Wharf it was planted in the early years of the 19th century by Dr. Albert Wheeler who practiced medicine in Wellsburg until his death in 1864. It was under this tree that militiamen . . . — Map (db m21641) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Windsor Heights — Brooke County/Ohio County
Brooke County (South Face) Formed in 1797 from Ohio County. Named for Robert Brooke, Virginia governor, 1794-1796. Here Alexander Campbell founded the Christian Church and established a college. First Grimes Golden apple tree in this . . . — Map (db m57260) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Barboursville — Barboursville
Established, 1813. County seat moved here from Guyandotte and remained until taken to Huntington in 1887. Before the Guyandotte courthouse was chosen,court met at the home of William Merritt, 1809-1810, on Mud River near here. — Map (db m73691) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Barboursville — Barboursville EngagementFighting for the Kanawha Valley
Confederate Gen. Henry A. Wise’s army occupied the Lower Kanawha Valley in June 1861. Union Gen. George B. McClellan assigned the task of driving them out to Gen. Jacob D. Cox, who massed his troops in Gallipolis, Ohio. Cox planned to cross the Ohio . . . — Map (db m73692) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Barboursville — Battle of Barboursville
Site of early Civil War battle fought July 13, 1861. Border Rangers and local citizens met on “Fortification Hill” to repel an advance by five companies of the 2nd Kentucky Infantry. After firing several volleys, Union troops made . . . — Map (db m125932) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Barboursville — Nancy Cartmill Gardens
This park has been named Nancy Cartmill Gardens in honor of Nancy Hunter Cartmill. Mrs. Cartmill was the first woman to be elected Mayor of Barboursville and served from 1993 to 2001. Major Cartmill was instrumental in attracting business . . . — Map (db m125915) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Barboursville — Old Toll House
This old toll house, built in 1837, stood below town of Barboursville on Guyan River bank; tolls collected on James River - Kanawha Turnpike from those using the ferry. Restored in 1950 by the D.A.R., Barboursville — Map (db m64095) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Barboursville — Woody Williams Bridge
Bridge named for Hershel "Woody" Williams, who as a corporal in 3rd Marine Div. during World War II won Congressional Medal of Honor for heroism against the Japanese at Iwo Jima, 23 February 1945. — Map (db m73686) WM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — B&O Railroad Depot / Heritage Village
B&O Railroad Depot. Passenger station completed 1887, freighthouses 1890 with additions 1898, 1911 & 1916. B&O, oldest U.S. line, acquired in 1901. Superior location in business district gave B&O edge over C&O in city. Heritage Village. . . . — Map (db m73740) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — Battle of GuyandotteFederal Retaliation
After capturing Guyandotte on November 10, 1861, and rounding up civilian Unionists and Federal recruits, Confederate forces under Col. John Clarkson and Col. Albert G. Jenkins began the next day to leave the town with their prisoners. At the same . . . — Map (db m73715) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — Battle of Guyandotte"Massacre of the 9th Infantry"
When the Civil War began, few of Guyandotte’s residents were slaveholders, buy many townspeople resented any infringement on their right as Virginians to own slaves. Guyandotte was reportedly the only town on the Ohio River that voted in favor of . . . — Map (db m73717) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — Blues & Gospel Singer"Diamond Teeth" Mary McClain — August 28, 1902--April 4, 2000 —
Born and raised in Huntington, WV, Mary hopped a train and left town at age 13 to become a singer and dancer. She spent the 1920’s and 30’s performing in medicine and minstrel shows. During the 1940’s, Mary had diamonds removed from a bracelet and . . . — Map (db m73736) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — Cabell County Cavalcade1809-1959
This Tablet Erected to Commemorate the 150th Anniversary of the Founding of Cabell County Formed from Kanawha County in 1809. Included Wayne, Mingo and parts of Logan, Boone, Putnam and Lincoln. Named in honor of Governor William H. Cabell of . . . — Map (db m126799) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — Carter Godwin Woodson
Historian, author, educator. Founder of the Assoc. for the Study of Negro Life and History, 1915. Began Journal of Negro History, 1916. In 1926 began Negro History Week, later Black History Month. A graduate and later principal, Douglass H.S., . . . — Map (db m73733) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — Chesapeake & Ohio 1308
The 1308,built in 1949, was one of the last working steam locomotives built by Baldwin Locomotive Works for a Class 1 railroad in the USA. It primarily hauled coal from Logan Co. Retired from C&O Railway service in 1956. Moved in September 1962 to . . . — Map (db m60349) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — Elk River Coal & Lumber Company #10 Steam Locomotive
Built by American Locomotive Company in 1924, the #10 was used to haul mine waste from Rich Run Mine in Widen, WV. Retired from Elk River Coal and Lumber in 1959 and moved to its present location on May 27, 1977. Placed on National Register of . . . — Map (db m62334) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — First Cabell County Court House
This tablet marks the square where the First Cabell County Court House was erected in 1809. Dedicated in loving memory to my father and mother Mr. & Mrs. James Lewis Caldwell by Ouida Caldwell Watts, Ex-Regent Buford Chapter D.A.R., September 17, . . . — Map (db m125942) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — Guyandotte
Indian name. Founded in 1810. Site chosen as county seat, 1809, and court first met here, October, 1810. Important point in river traffic, connecting with the James River and Kanawha Turnpike. Burned during the War between the States. — Map (db m73705) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — Huntington
Originally called Holderby’s Landing. Laid out as a town, 1869, by Collis P. Huntington of the C&O Railroad, and named for him when incorporated in 1871. Western end of C&O when the first trains came from Richmond in 1873. — Map (db m126030) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — Huntington Mine Rescue Car
One of the original 7 US Bureau of Mines train cars was headquartered near C&O tracks, 1911–1933. The wooden car, with crew & supplies, traveled the WV region to give mine safety & rescue training and to aid in mine disaster . . . — Map (db m126017) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — James River Company
George Washington was made president in 1785 of the James River Company. His plan of communication to the West eventually resulted in the construction of the Midland Trail, U.S. 60, and the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad. — Map (db m126041) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — John S. Witcher
Born 1839 in Cabell County, Witcher was clerk of the court, and in 1862 he began distinguished service with the 3rd West Virginia Cavalry and was appointed brevet brigadier general by end of war. Served as state delegate, secretary of . . . — Map (db m125938) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — Lavinia Norman, FounderAlpha Kappa Alpha Sorority
Born on December 14, 1882, in Montgomery, WV. Lavinia Norman later attended Howard University in Washington, DC. In 1908, with eight other students, she founded Alpha Kappa Alpha, the oldest Greek-lettered organization for African American . . . — Map (db m125986) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — Madie Carroll HouseSaved from Destruction
During the Civil War, this was the home of Mary Carroll, who narrowly managed to save it from destruction when much of Guyandotte was burned on November 11, 1861. After capturing the town on November 10, 1861, and rounding up civilian Unionists . . . — Map (db m73708) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — Marshall Memorial
In lasting remembrance of the members of the Marshall University Football team, the coaches, staff, and devoted fans who died in the plane crash November 14, 1970. — Map (db m73731) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — Marshall Memorial Boulevard
On November 14, 1970, a chartered jet crashed on approach to Tri-State Airport near Huntington, claiming the lives of seventy-five members of the Marshall University football team, coaches, fans, pilots & crew. This boulevard, named in honor of . . . — Map (db m73729) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — Marshall University
Named for John Marshall, Chief Justice U.S. Supreme Court, 1801–1835. Founded as Marshall Academy, 1837, and chartered as Marshall College, 1858. Established as a state-supported institution, 1867. Granted university status, 1961. — Map (db m125985) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — One Room School Museum
Union School, nicknamed "Punkin Center School," was located on Guyan Creek Road near Glenwood, Cabell County. Served grades 1 thru 8 from 1899 to 1955. Schoolhouse donated by Mrs. Bill (Tina) Bryan; relocation and renovation funded by Phil Cline. On . . . — Map (db m23026) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — Raid on Guyandotte / Burning of Guyandotte
On the night of November 10, 1861, Confederate cavalry led by Colonels John Clarkson and Albert Jenkins raided the town of Guyandotte and surprised Union recruits of the 9th WV Infantry. Following a heated battle, Confederate soldiers . . . — Map (db m125979) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — The Virginia State Road1787-1939
Authorized by an act of 1786 was extended in December 1787 from Richmond Va. past this point to the mouth of the Big Sandy River entering the city over Norway Avenue. By 1832 this road became the James River and Kanawha Turnpike opening west to . . . — Map (db m73741) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — War Between the States Generals / Spring Hill Cemetery
War Between the States Generals Two of seven War Between the States generals buried in W. Va. interred here: Albert Gallatin Jenkins, C.S.A., in Confederate plot; John Hunt Oley, Union, and over 200 soldiers. Confederate Monument dedicated in . . . — Map (db m73730) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — War of 1812 Memorial
In memory of those patriots from Cabell County West Virginia who served in the War of 1812. — Map (db m126049) WM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — Welcome to West Virginia
Airborne Dedicated to the Paratroopers and Glidermen who have served our country in war and peace. This memorial donated by members of the 82nd all Airborne and Special Forces chapters of WV — Map (db m74417) HM WM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — West Virginia Colored Children's Home
Rev. Charles McGee chartered WV Normal Industrial School for Colored Orphans, 1899. Opened, Central City, 1900, moved to 190-acre farm near Huntington & Guyandotte R. Served African-American orphans and indigent. Bought, 1911, operated until 1956 . . . — Map (db m73742) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Milton — Harshbarger Corner
Survey of Milton began here in 1872 and post office was established in 1873. Founder, David Harshbarger, later lived on this lot. Named for Milton Reece, first postmaster and large landholder in vicinity. Town incorporated in 1876 with Captain J.R. . . . — Map (db m73674) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Milton — Mud River Covered Bridge
Erected in 1875 by order of the Cabell Co. Court. The contract was awarded to R.H. Baker, the local postmaster. This design was developed by bridge engineer William Howe in 1840. Length is 112 feet. — Map (db m73675) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Ona — The Bryan Family
North of here (1826-28) lived John and Nancy Bryan, grandparents of William Jennings Bryan, the Great Commoner. They moved to Gallipolis Ferry where they died; John, 1834; Nancy in 1832. Buried nearby in the Yatesmont Cemetery. — Map (db m125870) HM
West Virginia (Calhoun County), Arnoldsburg — Arnoldsburg Skirmish
Site of Camp McDonald, set up, 1862, occupied by the 11th W. Va. Inf., U.S.V. Scene of engagement, May 6, 1862, when Federals under Maj. George C. Trimble beat off an attack by Confederate Moccasin Rangers under Capt. Geo. Downs. — Map (db m14153) HM
West Virginia (Calhoun County), Arnoldsburg — Engagement at ArnoldsburgDivided Loyalties
Early in 1862, the 11th West Virginia Infantry in Spencer established an outpost here in Arnoldsburg to suppress Confederate guerilla activity. Union Maj. George C. Trimble commanded four companies here at Camp McDonald, named for former county . . . — Map (db m73440) HM
West Virginia (Calhoun County), Arnoldsburg — Gilmer County/Calhoun County
Gilmer CountyFormed, 1845, from Kanawha and Lewis. Named for Thomas Walker Gilmer, Secretary of the Navy in President Tyler's Cabinet, who was killed by the explosion of a gun on board the United States battleship, Princeton, February 28, 1844. . . . — Map (db m73437) HM
West Virginia (Calhoun County), Arnoldsburg — Moccasin Rangers
One of several partisan groups in western VA during the Civil War, the Moccasin Rangers were Southern sympathizers who operated in the central counties of present-day West Virginia, conducting raids and terrorizing local Unionists. After they . . . — Map (db m137948) HM
West Virginia (Calhoun County), Arnoldsburg — Perry Hays & George SilcottLouisa Hays & Amie Silcott
Peregrine Hays and George Silcott were prominent businessmen before the Civil War. Hays was sheriff of Calhoun County and Silcott county clerk. In 1861, they helped form the Moccasin Rangers. After truce they helped arrange in May 1862 was revoked, . . . — Map (db m137949) HM
West Virginia (Calhoun County), Big Bend — First County Court
Site of first Calhoun Co. Court which met at home of Joseph Burson, April 14, 1856. Justices were Wm. Brannon, Dan. Duskey, H.R. Ferrell, Geo. Lynch, Joshua Knight, Absalom Knotts and Hiram Ferrell. — Map (db m73462) HM
West Virginia (Calhoun County), Minnora — Grave of Mike Fink
One mile west in the low gap are the graves of Mike Fink and an Indian, slain in 1780, and buried where they fell. While hunting, Fink and Adam O’Brien were fired on by two Indians; Fink shot one and was killed by the other. — Map (db m137950) HM

1692 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1492
Paid Advertisement