Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Brooke County West Virginia Historical Markers

 
Beech Bottom Fort Marker image, Touch for more information
By Dale K. Benington, July 14, 2011
Beech Bottom Fort Marker
West Virginia (Brooke County), Beech Bottom — Beech Bottom Fort
Near here stood Beech Bottom Fort, which was with Fort Pitt and Fort Henry in the group of posts guarding the western borders during the Revolution and its attendant Indian wars. Troops from Fort Pitt helped garrison this important . . . — Map (db m54915) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Bethany — Alexander Campbell
Here lived the leading influence in America's largest indigenous religious movement, Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), and founder of Bethany College. Built in four periods: the John Brown Mansion, completed in 1793; Buffalo Seminary, in 1819; . . . — Map (db m20826) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Bethany — Archibald McLean
Born in Prince Edward Island, Canada, September 4, 1849 Died December 15, 1920 Fourth President of Bethany College For thirty-nine years Chief Executive of the Foreign Christian Missionary Society Every missionary sent to . . . — Map (db m20836) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Bethany — Bethany / Bethany College
Side A Bethany Here Scots-Irish Alexander Campbell founded a religious movement which he called the Disciples of Christ. In this place Amos Dolbear perfected parts of the telephone, and longtime Speaker of the House "Champ" Clark, . . . — Map (db m79899) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Bethany — Bethany / Rice's Fort
Side A Bethany Bethany College, established here in 1840, oldest school of college rank in State. The home and the study of Alexander Campbell, founder, are here. Prof. A. E. Dolbear here perfected parts of the telephone, which Bell . . . — Map (db m79900) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Bethany — Bethany Church of Christ
Bethany Church of Christ, the oldest church building in Bethany, was built in 1852 according to plans drawn by Alexander Campbell, founder of Bethany College and leader in the Disciples Movement. Its foundation is built of stone from the original . . . — Map (db m20830) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Bethany — Campbell Cemetery
Here are buried the Campbell family; the first missionaries, other prominent leaders in the Disciples Movement, presidents and distinguished teachers of Bethany College. The seven foot hand hewed stonewall is a unique feature of Cemetery. — Map (db m20963) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Bethany — Delta Tau Delta Birthplace
In this house, 8 Bethany College Students - William Cunningham, John Johnson, Alexander Earle, Richard Alfred, Eugene Tarr, Henry Bell, John Hunt and Jacob Lowe - Met in 1858 and founded Delta Tau Delta. This social fraternity soon spread across the . . . — Map (db m20849) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Bethany — Renner Union - Bethany House
Dedicated to R. Richard Renner, M.D. '17 and Jennie Steindorf Renner '22 A major grant from the Renner Foundation, which was matched by alumni gifts, made possible, in 1970, the complete remodeling of Bethany House built in 1948. Henry Clay . . . — Map (db m79901) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Bethany — Thomas Campbell Father of Alexander & Archibald W. Campbell
Born in County Down, Ireland, Feb. 1, 1763, and died at the residence of his son Alexander, Jan. 4, 1851, aged 91 years, 11 mthns, five days. Many years a minister of the Secession Presbyterian Church in Ireland and Scotland. In the United States . . . — Map (db m20835) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Colliers — St. John's Episcopal Church
Founded in 1793 by Joseph Doddridge. It is the first Episcopal Church west of the Alleghenies and the oldest continuous worshipping congregation within this religious body in West Virginia. The first church, made of logs, was burned by Indians. . . . — Map (db m79897) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Follansbee — Fort Decker
John Decker built a fort of logs and stone on a site just north of State St. near Ohio River, 1774. Leaden bullets and arrowheads found here on the river bank signify Native American attack on the fort from Mingo Island. — Map (db m21605) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — 1788 Wells Log House
Constructed by Alexander Wells at 65 Washington St., Buffaloe, Virginia (present day Third St., Wellsburg, West Virginia) The Wells Log House was, and is, in the “National Register of Historic Places” District of . . . — Map (db m21634) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Bethany Turnpike Tunnels
First highway tunnels constructed west of Alleghenies. They were built in 1831 by Richard Waugh at personal expense to ease transportation to his flour mills. The tunnels, a mile apart, were removed by the State in 1957. — Map (db m21614) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Brooke County Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the men and women from Brooke County who have honorably served in the armed forces of our country in time of war and peace — Map (db m21616) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Drovers Inn
Constructed by John Fowler, 1848-51 with bricks fired on the property. First known as Fowler's Inn, the house provided food and lodging for drovers herding livestock over the Wellsburg-Washington Turnpike to eastern markets. Other services provided . . . — Map (db m42167) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — George Washington Crossing, 1770
George Washington began a journey on October 5, 1770 to the Ohio Country to see lands he had fought to win and now hoped to own. After a trip, on November 3, up the Kanawha River, the party headed back up the Ohio River. On November 17, they reached . . . — Map (db m33913) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Grimes Golden Apple
Watering trough marks location of first Grimes Golden Apple tree, discovered by owner of land, Thomas Grimes, in 1802. Memorial Trough sponsored by the Franklin Country Women's Club in 1922. — Map (db m70931) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Isaac Duvall and Company
The first glass house in Western Virginia was built at Charlestown, now Wellsburg, in 1813, by Isaac Taylor Duvall and Company. It was located on the southeast corner of Fifth and Yankee Streets. Cobalt blue, green and clear flint glass wares were . . . — Map (db m39642) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Miller's Tavern
Built by John Henderson prior to 1798 in Federal style, the building was leased by William Miller and operated as a tavern for 50 years. Since 1974 building has housed the Brooke County Museum. — Map (db m21628) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Patrick Gass 1771-1870
Sergeant on the Lewis and Clark Expedition, he published the first account of that exploration in 1807 Veteran of the War of 1812, he fought in the Battle of Lundy's Lane and at Fort Erie Citizen of Wellsburg for more than . . . — Map (db m21629) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Patrick Gass
Born 12 June 1771, Gass served as carpenter for Lewis and Clark. The expedition explored and studied the land, waterways, animal life, natural features and resources of the West. Gass's journal of trip was published in 1807. Soldier in the War of . . . — Map (db m39731) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Patrick M. Gass 1771 - 1870
The grave of Patrick M. Gass, a sergeant on the Lewis and Clark Expedition and a soldier of the War of 1812 is located in this cemetery. His wife Maria is buried beside him. Placed by the Lewis and Clark Trail Heritage . . . — Map (db m54977) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — The Lewis and Clark Connection
The Corps of Discovery, under the command of Meriwether Lewis and William Clark, was the first official expedition through the interior of the North American Continent sponsored by the United States. Captain Meriwether Lewis passed Charles Town . . . — Map (db m21639) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — The Wellsburg United Methodist Church A Fellowship of Believers For More Than Two Centuries
Methodism in Wellsburg dates back to 1787 with the establishment of the “Ohio Circuit.” Early services were held in “The Academy” on High Street. Bishop Asbury preached at the courthouse on September 6, 1803. On April . . . — Map (db m21635) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Waugh Flour Mills
Four flour mills were constructed near Wellsburg in the early 1800s. The first of these mills was built by John Moore in 1800. Moore's son-in-law, Richard Waugh, built the old stone mill in 1824, and the upper mill in 1835. A. M. Buchanan built the . . . — Map (db m79898) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Wellsburg
Established in 1791. Brooke Academy, started, 1778, incorporated in 1799. Here lived Joseph Doddridge, the author of "Frontier Notes," and Patrick Gass, member of the Lewis and Clark Expedition and author of its "Journal." — Map (db m39699) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Wellsburg Wharf
In the 1790's, flatboats left here with their cargoes for southern markets. To accommodate and store products, warehouses and wharfs were built along our river banks. This wharf, which was established in the 1800's, extended twenty feet out in the . . . — Map (db m21637) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Wellsburg's Giant Sycamore
This giant Sycamore tree stands at the top of the Wellsburg Wharf it was planted in the early years of the 19th century by Dr. Albert Wheeler who practiced medicine in Wellsburg until his death in 1864. It was under this tree that militiamen . . . — Map (db m21641) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Windsor Heights — Brooke County/Ohio County
Brooke County (South Face) Formed in 1797 from Ohio County. Named for Robert Brooke, Virginia governor, 1794-1796. Here Alexander Campbell founded the Christian Church and established a college. First Grimes Golden apple tree in this . . . — Map (db m57260) HM

30 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement