Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Hancock County West Virginia Historical Markers

 
Rock Spring Park Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Wintermantel, November 20, 2011
Rock Spring Park Marker
West Virginia (Hancock County), Chester — Rock Spring Park
On Carolina Avenue (West Virginia Route 2) at Lincoln Highway (U.S. 30), on the right when traveling north on Carolina Avenue.
Named for natural springs reputedly used by George Washington. Donated in 1857 for picnics and prize fights. Developed in 1897 as amusement park served by streetcar and boat attracting 15-20 thousand daily. Included dance pavilions, shooting . . . — Map (db m49697) HM
West Virginia (Hancock County), Moscow — Early Mills
On West Virginia Route 2 at Ferndale Road (County Route 66/2), on the right when traveling north on State Route 2.
Site of Nesselroad's powder mill which operated from 1795 to 1801. To the south on King's Creek stood Hartford's grist mill which served local settlers in early 1800's. In 1823, Swearingen's grist mill and Eaton's saw mill were built near the same . . . — Map (db m39654) HM
West Virginia (Hancock County), Moscow — On This Spot
On West Virginia Route 2 at Ferndale Road (County Route 66/2), on the right when traveling north on State Route 2.
. . . — Map (db m39661) HM
West Virginia (Hancock County), New Cumberland — Brickyard Bend
Near North River Avenue at Jefferson Street.
Named by boat captains for many brick works shipping from area. John Gamble first mined clay in 1839; James Porter had first brick works in 1832. By 1844, five works produced 1.5 million bricks. Later, some 20 plants: including Captain John Porter, . . . — Map (db m44118) HM
West Virginia (Hancock County), New Cumberland — Brickyard Bend
On Ridge Avenue (West Virginia Route 2) at Ballantyne Road, on the right when traveling north on Ridge Avenue.
Named by boat captains for many brick works shipping from area. John Gamble first mined clay in 1830; James Porter had first brick works in 1832; five works in 1844 produced 1.5 million bricks. Later, over 20 plants, using local clay, gas and coal, . . . — Map (db m44120) HM
West Virginia (Hancock County), New Cumberland — Captain John Porter / Chelsea China Company
On North River Avenue at Jefferson Avenue, on the right when traveling south on North River Avenue.
Side A:Captain John Porter(August 7, 1838 - February 7, 1893) Early developer of New Cumberland, he operated line of steamboats and barges on Ohio River, Chelsea China Company and glass plants. Known as "brick king" he owned Sligo, . . . — Map (db m44121) HM
West Virginia (Hancock County), New Cumberland — Contested County Seat
On North River Avenue at Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling south on North River Avenue.
Hancock County, formed in 1848 in home of Sam C. Allison in Fairview, also known as Pughtown and New Manchester. In election for county seat, New Cumberland won by 13; refusal to move led to another vote and majority of 46 in 1850 to move. In May . . . — Map (db m44124) HM
West Virginia (Hancock County), New Cumberland — Gravel Hill Academy
On North River Avenue at Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling south on North River Avenue.
Located beside courthouse, original building of four rooms built in 1869, opened in 1870 with town hall on 2nd floor. In 1888 two wings were added. By 20 January 1939, when destroyed by fire, had 14 rooms with 500 students. Rebuilt on same site, it . . . — Map (db m44126) HM
West Virginia (Hancock County), New Cumberland — New Cumberland
On Ridge Avenue (West Virginia Route 2) south of Lincoln Street, on the right when traveling south.
Near New Cumberland, George Chapman settled, about 1783, and built an Indian fort. Here are graves of the Chapmans, Gregorys, Graftons, and other pioneer families. Pughtown, settled about 1810, was the first county seat. — Map (db m39685) HM
West Virginia (Hancock County), New Cumberland — New Cumberland
On North River Avenue at Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling south on North River Avenue.
Near New Cumberland, George Chapman settled, about 1783, and built an Indian fort. Here are graves of the Chapmans, Gregorys, Graftons, and other pioneer families. Pughtown, settled about 1810, was the first county seat. — Map (db m44130) HM
West Virginia (Hancock County), New Cumberland — Ohio River / Ohio River
On North River Avenue at Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling south on North River Avenue.
Side A:Ohio RiverThe river flowing past New Cumberland contributed significantly to the political, economic and social development of the town. Early settlers to New Cumberland came by river and then depended on the river as means of . . . — Map (db m44133) HM
West Virginia (Hancock County), New Cumberland — Old Town
On North Chester Street (West Virginia Route 2) south of Washington Street (West Virginia Route 8), on the right when traveling north.
In 1839 John Cuppy laid out 42 lots on his farm between Ohio River and hill; added 50 lots in 1850. Named Vernon but called Cuppy Town. In 1840 John Chapman built the first house. Industry based on rich clay deposits, brick plants and river . . . — Map (db m39743) HM
West Virginia (Hancock County), New Cumberland — Old Town
On North River Avenue at Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling south on North River Avenue.
In 1839 John Cuppy laid out 42 lots on his farm between Ohio River and hill; added 50 lots in 1850. Named Vernon but called Cuppy Town. In 1840 John Chapman built the first house. Industry based on rich clay deposits, brick plants and river . . . — Map (db m44135) HM
West Virginia (Hancock County), New Manchester — Hartford's Mill
On Park-Forest 801 at Park-Forest 802, on the right when traveling north on Park-Forest 801.
On Tomlinson Run, Nesselroad's powder mill began operation about 1795. Near by occurred the famous fight between Andrew and Adam Poe, border scouts, and Chief Big Foot and another Indian in 1782. The Poes won. Two Indians died. — Map (db m66535) HM
West Virginia (Hancock County), Newell — Logan Massacre
On West Virginia Route 2 north of Dry Run Road, on the right when traveling north.
One of the events which led up to Dunmore's War was the killing at this point of the family of Chief Logan, eloquent leader of the Mingo Indians, April, 1774, opposite their village at the mouth of Yellow Creek in Ohio. — Map (db m44727) HM
West Virginia (Hancock County), Newell — Newell
On Washington Street (West Virginia Route 2) at 9th Street, on the left when traveling north on Washington Street.
Here is located the largest single pottery unit in the world. This county has been a large producer of pottery for more than a century and today West Virginia stands second among all of the states in its production. — Map (db m44730) HM
West Virginia (Hancock County), Weirton — Hancock County / Brooke County
On Main Street (West Virginia Route 2) 0.1 miles north of Marland Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
Side A:Hancock CountyFormed in 1848 from Brooke. Named for John Hancock, first signer of the Declaration of Independence. Iron furnaces established in this county as early as 1794 made the cannon balls that Commodore Perry used in . . . — Map (db m44127) HM
West Virginia (Hancock County), Weirton — Hancock County / State of Pennsylvania
On Steubenville Pike at Gardner Road, on the right when traveling west on Steubenville Pike.
Side A Hancock County Formed in 1848 from Brooke. Named for John Hancock, first signer of the Declaration of Independence. Iron furnaces established in this county as early as 1794 made the cannon balls that Commodore Perry used in . . . — Map (db m80381) HM
West Virginia (Hancock County), Weirton — Holliday's Cove
On Cove Road at Main Street (West Virginia Route 2), on the right when traveling west on Cove Road.
East was Fort Holliday, built in 1776. During the Revolution it was a supply depot for the Continental Army. From it Col. Swearingen led troops with ammunition to relieve Fort Henry at Wheeling when attacked by Indians in 1777. — Map (db m80384) HM
West Virginia (Hancock County), Weirton — Peter Tarr Furnace
On West Virginia Route 2 at Kings Creek Road (County Route 11), on the right when traveling north on State Route 2.
Two miles east is the site of first blast furnace west of the Alleghenies. Built in 1794, it was the forerunner of the steel industry which flourished in this area. Here Peter Tarr cast cannon balls used by Perry on Lake Erie. — Map (db m44138) HM
West Virginia (Hancock County), Weirton — Peter Tarr Furnace
Near King's Creek Road at Patricia Drive, on the right when traveling west.
First iron furnace in N.W. Virginia built in 1790's on Campbell land by a man named Grant. Company of Grant & Partner failed CA. 1800. Deeded to Peter Tarr April, 1801, by pioneer James Campbell. Operations resumed by Connell, Tarr & . . . — Map (db m80383) HM
West Virginia (Hancock County), Weirton — Three Springs Church
On South 17th Street at Pennsylvania Avenue (West Virginia Route 105), on the right when traveling west on South 17th Street.
100 yards south is site of original log Three Springs Church. Built 1790 on land donated by James Campbell. Elisha Macurdy, first pastor, called Nov., 1799. The mother church of Cove and Paris United Presbyterian churches. — Map (db m80385) HM

22 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement