Michael Coleman, member of a hunting party from frontier fort at Belleville, was killed and scalped by the Indians at this point about 1793. Near by at Mill Creek Falls, Benjamin Wright build an early power flour mill. — — Map (db m124884) HM
Post Office established here July 1, 1880, with Grandville P. Morrison as first postmaster. Named in honor of John Edward Kenna (1848-1893), member of the U.S. House of Representatives (1879-1883), and later elected to the U.S. Senate (1883-93). . . . — — Map (db m73672) HM
Born in 1819, Frost was editor of Jackson County’s first newspaper, The Virginia Chronicle, which was burned in 1862 during Jenkins Raid for its pro-Union stance. He served as Speaker of the House for the Restored Government of Virginia, . . . — — Map (db m124351) HM
(Preface): Confederate Gen. Albert G. Jenkins led 550 cavalrymen on a 500-mile raid from Salt Sulphur Springs, Aug. 22-Sept. 12, 1862, attacking Federal forces and destroying military stores. He captured and paroled 300 Union soldiers, . . . — — Map (db m39627) HM
These lands were surveyed, 1771, for George Washington by Colonel William Crawford, who later was taken captive by the Indians and burned at the stake. Washington camped here in 1770. Here is grave of Jesse . . . — — Map (db m39625) HM
Westward lies the Millwood Tract of 4,395 acres patented by George Washington on December 15, 1772, based on a survey made in June 1771. It bordered on the Ohio River above the Great Bend for “file miles and 700 poles.” — — Map (db m124517) HM
Brother Harry Ripley was a circuit-riding minister for the Methodist church. According to legend, he had planned to wed a local girl and build the first church in the community. Tragedy struck, however, when he drowned in Mill Creek with their . . . — — Map (db m10915) HM
During the Civil War, both Union and Confederate supporters formed guerrilla bands. Each government denounced the other side’s partisans as bushwhackers or common thieves but gave those on their own side an official military designation as cover. . . . — — Map (db m73647) HM
On November 3, 1897, John Morgan
murdered Chloe Greene and two of
her three children, James Greene
and Matilda Pfost. Daughter Alice
Pfost managed to escape despite
being wounded during the attack.
G.W. Shamblen captured Morgan who
was tried . . . — — Map (db m124858) HM
In 1824 Jacob Sturdier built the first grist mill in Ripley along Mill Creek. In 1853, Jacob Sayre sold the mill to John McGrew who came to Jackson County in 1844.
The McGrew mill building was a structure of about 40 ft. by 30 ft. and was two . . . — — Map (db m11426) HM
Jackson County was created by an act of the Virginia Assembly on March 1, 1831, and named in honor of President Andrew Jackson.
The first courthouse on this site was a brick structure. The land for the courthouse square was donated by Jacob and . . . — — Map (db m11439) HM
Established in 1832 on land which was settled by William John and Lewis Rogers in 1768 and later acquired by Jacob and Ann (Staats) Starcher. Near here lived Capt. William Parsons who was active in the early life of Jackson County. — — Map (db m73650) HM
Built in 1887 over Tug Fork of Mill Creek and named for Enoch Statts' mill. Jackson Co. Court paid local builder H.T. Hartley $904 to erect "Long" truss wooden superstructure. Total cost of original 97 ft. bridge with stone abutments and approaches . . . — — Map (db m73652) HM
Although western Virginia eventually separated from the original state to form West Virginia and join the Union, many residents of the new state supported the Confederacy. Many others served the Union, while still others wished to avoid contact with . . . — — Map (db m73651) HM
As General John H. Morgan’s raid into
Indiana and Ohio came to a close,
he tried to cross the Ohio River
into WV. Reaching the Buffington
Island ford late on July 18, 1863,
he waited until the 19th to cross.
Union troops and gunboats . . . — — Map (db m124350) HM
Raised in 1887 by order of Jackson County Court under presidency of George W. Shinn. Local builder H.T. Hartley erected the wooden superstructure at a cost of $904. Stone abutments were built by Quincy and Grim, local masons, at a cost of $710. . . . — — Map (db m73653) HM