Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lewis County West Virginia Historical Markers

 
First M.P. Church Marker image, Touch for more information
By Forest McDermott, October 29, 2014
First M.P. Church Marker
West Virginia (Lewis County), Jane Lew — First M.P. Church
Two miles east stands the Old Harmony Church, built in 1819. In this church in 1829, John Mitchell and David Smith organized the first Methodist Protestant Church. Mitchell was its first pastor. Near the churchyard is his grave. — Map (db m78396) HM
West Virginia (Lewis County), Jane Lew — Gen. Lightburn
The Broad Run Baptist Church was organized in 1804. (2 Mi.W.) In its cemetery are buried many early settlers. Here is grave of Gen. Jos. A. Lightburn of the Union Army. After the War between the States, he became a Baptist minister. — Map (db m78394) HM
West Virginia (Lewis County), Jane Lew — Hacker's Creek/Jane Lew
Hacker's Creek At mouth of Jesse's Run was home of Jesse Hughes, Indian fighter and scout. About 1770, John Hacker settled here. Near by is scene of Cozad and other border massacres. Several Indian villages and burying grounds were . . . — Map (db m78395) HM
West Virginia (Lewis County), near Duffy — Fort Pickens / Engagements of Co. A
Fort Pickens 120 yds., northeast, Co. A 10th W. Va. Inf., built Fort Pickens for headquarters and defense. Company raised by Capt. Morgan A. Darnall; mustered into U. S. service March 13, 1862. In several battles down to Appomattox. . . . — Map (db m37049) HM
West Virginia (Lewis County), Weston — Jackson's Mill
Site of boyhood home of Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson. The first mill was built about 1808 by his grandfather, Col. Edward Jackson, who became a leader in border affairs. It is now the site of the W. Va. 4-H Camp for Boys and Girls. — Map (db m56626) HM
West Virginia (Lewis County), Weston — Jackson's MillStonewall Jackson's Boyhood Home
Three generations of Jacksons operated mills here, beginning with Col. Edward Jackson before 1800. Jackson’s Mill included saw and gristmills, carpenter shop, blacksmith forge, slave quarters, barns and other outbuildings, and a general store on . . . — Map (db m58720) HM
West Virginia (Lewis County), Weston — Louis Bennett Library
Home of Jonathan M. Bennett built 1875 and used as family home until 1922. Given by Mrs. Louis Bennett to county as public library to honor her husband and son. J.M. Bennett (1816 ~ 87) was active in state political and local business affairs in . . . — Map (db m64089) HM
West Virginia (Lewis County), Weston — Trans-Allegheny Lunatic AsylumNo Asylum from War
When the Civil War began in 1861, the one-story wing on the far left of the building in front of you was all that stood here at the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum. The foundation of the main building had been completed; it was used to stable horses . . . — Map (db m58721) HM
West Virginia (Lewis County), Weston — Weston Colored School
Built in 1882, the Weston Colored School was the fourth school erected with public funds for black children in West Virginia. It served the African-American community until desegregation in 1954. Later uses included a vocational agriculture . . . — Map (db m64114) HM
West Virginia (Lewis County), Weston — Weston State Hospital
Authorized as a western asylum by the state of Virginia in 1858. Construction was started in 1860, completed by the new State, and opened in 1864 as a hospital for mentally ill. This is the largest hand-cut stone building in America. — Map (db m12115) HM
West Virginia (Lewis County), Weston — Weston State Hospital
The oldest State institution in West Virginia was authorized by an act of General Assembly of Virginia, March 22, 1858. The War Between the States delayed construction. It was not opened for patients until October 22, 1864. — Map (db m12121) HM

11 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement