Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Marshall County West Virginia Historical Markers

 
Benwood Mine Disaster Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Wintermantel, July 7, 2012
Benwood Mine Disaster Marker
West Virginia (Marshall County), Benwood — Benwood Mine Disaster
Nearby mine supplied coal to large Wheeling Steel mill. An explosion here, 28 April 1924, resulted in third worst mine disaster in state history. 119 miners, many natives of Poland, Italy and Greece, were killed. There were no survivors. Led to mine . . . — Map (db m59838) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), Benwood — Marshall County/Ohio County
Marshall County (North Face) Formed in 1835 from Ohio. Named for Chief Justice John Marshall. In Marshall County is Grave Creek Mound, first among remains left by the unknown race which lived in the Ohio Valley centuries before the . . . — Map (db m57250) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), Bethlehem — Marshall County/Ohio County
Marshall County Formed in 1835 from Ohio. Named for Chief Justice John Marshall. In Marshall County is Grave Creek Mound, first among remains left by the unknown race which lived in the Ohio Valley centuries before the white men came. Ohio . . . — Map (db m67104) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), Cameron — Cameron City Pool
Constructed with PWA grant, 1939, the unique semi-circular pool with underwater lifeguard station was design of Frank Hunter. Beach area once had sand from Lake Michigan. Pool also emergency reservoir for fire protection. Listed in 1993 on National . . . — Map (db m80388) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), Cameron — Fort Beeler
Site of Indian fort built in 1779 on land of George Beeler. In 1782, an attack of Mohawk and Shawnee Indians was repulsed by its defenders, among whom were Martin and Lewis Wetzel, the celebrated scouts and Indian fighters. — Map (db m21076) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), Glen Dale — Harriet B. Jones(b. 3 June 1856; d. 28 June 1943)
Born 3 June 1856, in 1885 was first licensed woman physician in state; opened private practice then hospital in Wheeling, 1892. Jones was active in temperance and women's suffrage; and promoted establishment of state sanitariums in Terra Alta & . . . — Map (db m57247) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), Glen Dale — The Cockayne Farm / Samuel A.J. Cockayne
Side A The Cockayne Farm The Cockayne farmhouse was built by Bennett Cockayne around 1850. His son Samuel A.J. was renowned as a sheep breeder. Dubbed Glendale by Samuel's wife Hannah, the farm was the namesake for Glen Dale when it . . . — Map (db m102040) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), Limestone — Fort Wetzel
John Wetzel and sons, Lewis, Jacob, Martin, John, and George, came with the Zanes in 1769 and built a fort. The Wetzels became famous scouts and Indian fighters. In 1787, the elder Wetzel was killed by Indians at Baker’s Station. — Map (db m21075) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), McMechen — Foreman Massacre
Near this spot occurred the massacre, by Indians, of Captain William Foreman and Twenty of his men on September 27th, 1777.--•-- This marker erected by Wheeling Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution. — Map (db m71009) HM WM
West Virginia (Marshall County), McMechen — Forman Massacre
In the "Narrows," September 27, 1777, Capt. Wm. Forman (Foreman) and his Hampshire County troops were ambushed by Indians; 21 were killed. They had joined Fort Henry garrison, located on the Ohio at Wheeling to protect western settlements. — Map (db m71010) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), Moundsville — Benjamin C. CriswellSergeant, Company B, 7th U.S. Cavalry, United States Army — Medal of Honor Citation
Rescued the body of 2nd Lieutenant Benjamin H. Hodgson from within the enemy lines; brought up ammunition and encouraged the men in the most exposed positions under heavy fire in the Little Big Horn River fight. Sergeant Benjamin C. Criswell . . . — Map (db m20503) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), Moundsville — Civil War Cannons
In tribute to Howard D. Blankenship, who made all the arrangements to have both cannons retrofitted to their original. His project started 1977 and was completed 1984. The northern piece was manufactured by N.P. Ames Foundry, Springfield . . . — Map (db m20394) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), Moundsville — Grave Creek Mound
This world-famous burial mound was built by the Adena people sometime before the Christian Era. The mound was originally 69 feet high, 295 feet in diameter, and was encircled by a moat. There were many mounds in the area-hence the city's . . . — Map (db m54886) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), Moundsville — Lindy’s Landing
The “Spirit of St. Louis,” piloted by Charles Lindberg landed in Moundsville .1 mile west at Langin Field, Aug. 4, 1927. Seen by 140,000 locally, he led aviation into the rocket era, creating the U.S. air transportation network. — Map (db m20418) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), Moundsville — Marshall County Commemorates Service Men and Women
Erected By The County Court of Marshall County, West Virginia To Commemorate the Service Men and Women of Marshall County in the World War 1917 - 1919 The tumult and the shouting dies- Lord God of Hosts - Be with us yet . . . — Map (db m54933) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), Moundsville — Moundsville / Capt. James Harrod
Moundsville. Named for Grave Creek Mound. This mound, 900 feet around, 70 feet high, is the largest conical mound in America. The inscribed stone found in it has never been deciphered. Near by was the Indian fort built by Joseph Tomlinson. . . . — Map (db m20373) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), Moundsville — Old Brick School House
Old Brick School House Built 1833 Here in 1835 was assembled the First County Court in Elizabethtown — Map (db m54976) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), Moundsville — Recipients of the Purple Heart
Dedicated to the Recipients of the Nations oldest military decoration The Purple Heart Combat Veterans Wounded 1782 Military Order of The Purple Heart 1932 My stone is red for The blood they shed. The . . . — Map (db m54934) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), Moundsville — Rosby’s Rock
At Rosby’s Rock (5 Mi. E.) Dec. 24, 1852, the B. & O. Railroad joined the Baltimore and Wheeling with the first continuous railroad from the Atlantic to the Ohio, after such engineering feats as building 11 tunnels and 113 bridges. — Map (db m21074) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), Moundsville — Volunteers in the Spanish-American War
Erected by The County Court of Marshall County West Virginia to commemorate its volunteers in the Spanish-American War They served that others might be freeMap (db m55011) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), Moundsville — Washington's Land
. . . — Map (db m54819) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), Moundsville — West Virginia Penitentiary
Established, 1866, A prison for men and women convicted of felonies until prison for wom- en was established at Pence Springs, 1947. Capital criminals were hanged here, 1889-1950. Electric chair used until death penalty was abolished. . . . — Map (db m54890) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), Proctor — Baker's Station
. . . — Map (db m54808) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), Proctor — ML 1 — George Rogers Clark
In 1772, George Rogers Clark explored the Ohio and Great Kanawha rivers He stayed the winter here, planted and harvested a crop, and carried out much surveying. Riflemen from the region aided him in winning the Northwest in . . . — Map (db m54811) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), Proctor — ML 2 — Zachary Taylor
. . . — Map (db m54810) HM

25 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement