Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Mercer County West Virginia Historical Markers

 
Andrew Davidson Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, October 16, 2015
Andrew Davidson Marker
West Virginia (Mercer County), Bluefield — Andrew Davidson
On Cumberland Road (U.S. 52) at Bland Road (U.S. 52), on the right when traveling east on Cumberland Road.
Site of the pioneer cabin of Andrew Davidson. While he was absent, Indians burned his cabin, tomahawked his children, and captured his wife. Mrs. Davidson was sold to a Canadian family from whom she was ransomed. — Map (db m89918) HM
West Virginia (Mercer County), Bluefield — Bluefield
On Bland Street (U.S. 52) at High Street and Federal Street, on the right on Bland Street.
Bluefield is on land which John Davidson patented in 1774. With Richard Bailey he built a fort about 1777. Later he was killed by the Indians. The home, built by Joseph Davidson in 1811, is still standing. — Map (db m90455) HM
West Virginia (Mercer County), Bluefield — Bluefield State College
On Holbrook Sreet west of Rock Street, on the left when traveling west.
Established, 1895, by WV Legislature as Bluefield Colored Institute; 1929 became Bluefield State Teachers College. Renamed in 1943, Bluefield State College has continued providing quality higher education for all citizens of the area. — Map (db m90505) HM
West Virginia (Mercer County), Bluefield — Bluefield State Teacher’s College
On Holbrook Sreet west of Rock Street, on the left when traveling west.
Established as the Bluefield Colored Institute by act of the Legislature in 1895. Later the school became an institution of higher learning for Negroes. Renamed and given its present title in 1929. — Map (db m90502) HM
West Virginia (Mercer County), Bluefield — Elizabeth Kee
On Federal Street (U.S. 52).
The first woman elected to Congress from West Virginia. Born as Maude Etta Simpkins on June 7, 1895, she married Bluefield lawyer John Kee, who served in congress, 1932–1951. Employed 18 years as his secretary; elected to complete his term in . . . — Map (db m1821) HM
West Virginia (Mercer County), Bluefield — The Birth of Pinnacle Rock State Park
Near Coal Heritage Road (U.S. 52) north of Bluefield, on the left when traveling north.
In 1938, during the New Deal Era, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed the park's first resources The roadside park began with the construction of the stone picnic shelter fireplace grills, an overlook two trails, the . . . — Map (db m90586) HM
West Virginia (Mercer County), Bluefield — West Virginia / Mercer County(Mercer County) /                                
On U.S. 460, on the right when traveling west.
West Virginia (Mercer County). "The Mountain State"—western part of the Commonwealth of Virginia until June 20, 1863. Settled by the Germans and Scotch-Irish. It became a line of defense between the English and French during the . . . — Map (db m105047) HM
West Virginia (Mercer County), Bluewell — Pinnacle Rock
On Coal Heritage Road (U.S. 52) north of Bluewell, on the left when traveling north.
Erosion—Nature’s cutting tool—has chiseled away the stone on this spur of Flat Top Mountain, leaving this giant cockscomb more than 2700 feet above sea level. Several counties may be seen from these cliffs. — Map (db m90566) HM
West Virginia (Mercer County), Bramwell — MR 1 — Bramwell
On Pocahontas Avenue 1.1 miles south of the Town of Bramwell, on the left when traveling west.
Called “Home of the Millionaires” when town’s fourteen represented the greatest per capita concentration in the U.S. Incorporated in 1889, Bramwell was the business and residential community for Pocahontas coalfield owners and operators . . . — Map (db m1857) HM
West Virginia (Mercer County), Bramwell — Jordan Nelson’s Coal Bank
On Bramwell-Pocahontas Road (County Route 120), on the right when traveling west.
Jordan Nelson, blacksmith, dug coal from bank to fuel forge, and made 1st commercial use by selling for 1 cent a bushel in 1870s. In 1873 I. A. Welch surveyed Pocahontas Coalfield for J. Hotchkiss who induced F. J. Kimball, later President of N&W . . . — Map (db m130241) HM
West Virginia (Mercer County), Bramwell — MR 2 — Mill Creek Coal & Coke Co.
On Pocahontas Avenue 1.1 miles south of Town of Bramwell, on the left when traveling south.
John Cooper’s mine in Cooper section of Bramwell shipped 1st coal from W. Virginia’s valuable Pocahontas Coalfield over N&WRR on 4 Nov. 1884. The Coaldale, Caswell Creek & Booth-Bowen mines, operated by Cooper, Jones, Freeman, Booth & Bowen, were . . . — Map (db m1858) HM
West Virginia (Mercer County), Camp Creek — Battle of Clark’s House
On U.S. 19 0.1 miles east of County Highway 19/4.
Near this site on May 1, 1862, Battle of the Henry Clark House occurred. Lt. Col. Rutherford B. Hayes’ 23rd Ohio Vol. Inf. engaged Confederates under Col. Walter Jenifer. Captain Richard B. Foley, commanding the “Flat Top Copperheads,” . . . — Map (db m42173) HM
West Virginia (Mercer County), Flat Top — Camp Jones
On U.S. 19 at Toad Level Road, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 19.
Here in 1862 was stationed the 23rd Ohio Regt., U.S.A. Encamped here were Gen. J.D. Cox, Maj. R.B. Hayes and Sergt. William McKinley. All became governors of Ohio; Hayes and McKinley became Presidents of the United States. — Map (db m42175) HM
West Virginia (Mercer County), Princeton — American Revolution Bicentennial Bell
On Main St (West Virginia Route 20) at S Walker St, on the left when traveling west on Main St.
From 1879 to 1929, this bell was rung to open court at the Mercer County Courthouse in Princeton. After the courthouse was dismantled in 1929, the bell was used as a dinner bell at the County poor farm at Gardner. Later discarded at the farm, the . . . — Map (db m60030) HM
West Virginia (Mercer County), Princeton — Battle of Pigeon's Roost
On South Walker Street (U.S. 19) 0.1 miles north of Stafford Drive (West Virginia Route 104), on the right when traveling north.
Near a hill south of town on May 17, 1862, Confederate troops led by Maj. Peter Otey surprised and routed a Union regiment commanded by Colonel Louis von Blessing. Federal losses were 18 killed, 56 wounded and 14 captured. Confederate losses were 1 . . . — Map (db m37742) HM
West Virginia (Mercer County), Princeton — McNutt HouseSole Survivor
On North Walker Street at Honaker Street (U.S. 19), on the left when traveling north on North Walker Street.
This house, the home of physician Robert B. McNutt, is the only antebellum dwelling in Princeton. It survived the fire that Col. Walter H. Jenifer of the 8th Virginia Cavalry ignited on May 1, 1862, as he evacuated the town. Jenifer was attempting . . . — Map (db m37744) HM
West Virginia (Mercer County), Princeton — Mercer Salt Works
On Hinton Road (West Virginia Route 20) at Indian Ridge (County Road 26), on the right when traveling south on Hinton Road.
The Mercer Salt Works, located at the junction of New River and Lick Creek, began operation in 1850 and supplied salt to the southern part of western Virginia through the use of free and slave labor. On August 10, 1862. troops under Col. Rutherford . . . — Map (db m140096) HM
West Virginia (Mercer County), Princeton — Princeton
On West Main Street (West Virginia Route 20) at Scott Street (U.S. 19), on the left when traveling west on West Main Street.
Scene of several actions, May 1862, between Federal troops from General Cox's army and Confederate forces under Jenifer and Wharton. When the Confederates abandoned their camp here, the town was set on fire and partially burned. — Map (db m34813) HM
West Virginia (Mercer County), Princeton — Richard Blankenship
On Alvis Street (U.S. 19) at East Main Street (West Virginia Road 20), on the right when traveling north on Alvis Street.
Richard Blankenship, Revolutionary War Soldier, was a member of Major James Robertson's company of New River Valley volunteers who fought at the Battle of Point Pleasant, October 10, 1774. He lived on a 33 acre farm 8 mi. southeast, at Ingleside, . . . — Map (db m37738) HM
West Virginia (Mercer County), Rock — Mitchell Clay
On West Virginia Route 10, on the left when traveling west.
Here Mitchell Clay settled in 1775. Eight years later Indians killed two of his children and captured his son Ezekiel. Pursuers killed several of the Indians but the boy was taken into Ohio and burned at the stake. — Map (db m117993) HM
West Virginia (Mercer County), Yards — West Virginia / Mercer County(Mercer County) /                                
On Falls Mills Road (West Virginia Route 102).
West Virginia (Mercer County). "The Mountain State"—western part of the Commonwealth of Virginia until June 20, 1863. Settled by the Germans and Scotch-Irish. It became a line of defense between the English and French during the . . . — Map (db m90595) HM

21 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement