(Preface): On April 20, 1863, Confederate Gens. William E. "Grumble" Jones and John D. Imboden began a raid from Virginia through present-day West Virginia on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. Taking separate routes, they later reported that . . . — — Map (db m50353) HM
Named for Thomas Harris. His nephew, Gen. Thomas Harris, distinguished himself in the Union Army in Petersburg and Cedar Creek. He was one of the commissioners who tried those charged with plotting assassination of Lincoln. — — Map (db m64098) HM
Frederick Lemon discovered a vein of natural asphalt near Macfarlan Creek in 1852. Shortly after the Civil War, the narrow-guage Calico Railroad was completed from Cairo to facilitate mining at the newly created boomtown of Ritchie Mines.
After . . . — — Map (db m82103) HM
Settled by John Bunnell, a veteran of the Revolution, near the salt lick which attracted great game herds. The “Stone House,” built about 1807 by John Webster, was one of the famous inns on the Northwestern Turnpike. — — Map (db m42241) HM
Constructed in two phases: east end construction circa 1883; east end remodeled and west end constructed circal 1900. The depot closed in 1974. The last passenger train passed through in the Spring of 1981.
Restoration began in the early . . . — — Map (db m42243) HM
The Webster House, now known as The Stone House, was built shortly after 1800. The walls of the house are two feet thick, constructed of flagstones of various shapes and sizes held together by cement and mortar. John Webster, the builder, sold it to . . . — — Map (db m42239) HM
Ritchie CountyFormed in 1843 from Lewis, Harrison and Wood. Named for Thomas Ritchie, Virginia journalist. In 1772, Elias and Jesse Hughes and Colonel William Lowther explored this region to the Ohio. Hughes River was named by them.
Wirt . . . — — Map (db m130368) HM
The Northwestern Turnpike, a favorite project of George Washington, opened in 1838. Such highways were called "turnpikes" from the gates at which tolls were collected. This town is named for the toll gate which stood here. — — Map (db m80241) HM