Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Tyler County West Virginia Historical Markers

 
Middlebourne Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Wintermantel, March 19, 2017
Middlebourne Marker
West Virginia (Tyler County), Middlebourne — Middlebourne
Established, 1813. Named because it was halfway between Pennsylvania and the old salt wells on the Kanawha above Charleston. The "Jug Handle" on Middle Island Creek is one of the noted beauty spots of the Ohio Valley. — Map (db m102049) HM
West Virginia (Tyler County), Sistersville — "Big Moses" Well / Polecat Oil Well
Side A "Big Moses" Well Drilled on Joshua Russell farm 2 mi. North on Polecat Run. Almost abandoned because of presence of salt water, the well was made producer by Ludwig and Weeter's introduction of technology to siphon off water. . . . — Map (db m80252) HM
West Virginia (Tyler County), Sistersville — Little Sister
This 84 ft. standard rig built in 1911 was used for drilling to the Big Injun Sand, 1481 ft. and pumping the well for many years. The derrick is being restored with labor and original equipment donated by the production department of Quaker State . . . — Map (db m80253) HM
West Virginia (Tyler County), Sistersville — Sistersville
Charles Wells settled here in 1776 and the first county court was held at his home. The town was named in 1815 for the Wells sisters and was incorporated in 1839. A ferry across the Ohio was established here in 1818. — Map (db m80251) HM
West Virginia (Tyler County), Sistersville — Van Camp
Village settled early 1800s, named for pioneer Steven(1793-1873) and family in 1840s. John and Margaret Van Camp gave land for Methodist E. Church, 1879; services held into 1940s; cemetery dates to 1851; site for school, ca. 1870-1920, given by . . . — Map (db m102051) HM
West Virginia (Tyler County), Sistersville — Wells Family Cemetery
Located near here are the graves of Sistersville founder Charles Wells and many of his descendants. Used from 1815 to 1925, the site includes 46 known graves, most from the 1800s. In 1832, Charles' son Eli built the home 'Welkin', with its fine . . . — Map (db m80254) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement