Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Wood County West Virginia Historical Markers

 
Blennerhassett Island Marker image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, April 13, 2014
Blennerhassett Island Marker
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Blennerhassett IslandBlennerhassett Mansion
Situated just 1.8 miles below Parkersburg in the Ohio River is historic Blennerhassett Island. This 3.8 mile long island was once the home of the wealthy Irish immigrants Harman and Margaret Blennerhassett. After moving to the Island in 1798, they . . . — Map (db m73569) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Col. Hugh Phelps
Wood County formally organized, August 12, 1799, at the home of Colonel Hugh Phelps, who came here, 1787. Phelps made the first effort to arrest Burr and Blennerhassett. About 1800, he built this house, later the home of Thomas Tavernner. — Map (db m73625) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Creating West VirginiaParkersburg's Wartime Politicians
During the Civil War, several Parkersburg residents played a role in carving the new state of West Virginia from the Old Dominion of Virginia and in representing it at the national level. Much of the political life of the city took place in . . . — Map (db m73520) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Early ParkersburgCourt Square
In 1773, Robert Thornton claimed 1400 acres encompassing today's downtown Parkersburg, but sold it ten years later to Captain Alexander Parker, for whom the town was later named. The first permanent settler was Captain James Neal who erected a . . . — Map (db m73570) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Escape to Freedom
The Ohio R. was a major gateway to freedom for enslaved Africans via the Underground Railroad, a clandestine network of people, places, routes, and modes of transportation used in their flight from bondage. Network's peak activity was between 1830 . . . — Map (db m73565) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Fort BoremanProtecting the B&O Railroad
The men of Co. A, 11th West Virginia Infantry (US), constructed Fort Boreman in 1863 to protect the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad here. The B&O, the most important east-west rail line that linked the Atlantic coast with the American interior, was . . . — Map (db m73585) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Fort Boreman During the Civil War
Fort Boreman was a military fortification constructed by the United States Army during the Civil War. The protection of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, the two turnpikes, the Northwestern and the Staunton-Parkersburg, and river port facilities was . . . — Map (db m73607) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Fort Boreman Hill
The prominent known locally as Fort Boreman Hill encompasses almost 250 acres. However, the actual site of Fort Boreman, its gun stations, powder magazine, and winter quarters, utilized only a small portion of the hill. The same natural . . . — Map (db m73618) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Historic Blennerhassett Hotel
To commemorate the 100th anniversary of the historic Blennerhassett Hotel, we dedicate this monument to the city of Parkersburg and the Blennerhassett Historical Park Commission on the day, Saturday, May 6, 1989. In the four parts of the earth . . . — Map (db m73581) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Historic Blennerhassett Island
One and one-half miles below the confluence of the Ohio and Little Kanawha rivers lies historic Blennerhassett Island, home of the Irish aristocrat Harman Blennerhassett and his wife Margaret from 1798 to 1806. Blennerhassett is known for his . . . — Map (db m73602) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Historic Parkersburg (West) Virginia
Parkersburg was permanently settled in 1785 by Capt. James Neal, a veteran of Lord Dunmore’s War and the Revolutionary War. It was first surveyed in 1796 as Springville, chartered in 1800 as Newport, and resurveyed and renamed Parkersburg in 1810 in . . . — Map (db m73590) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Neal's Station
Neal's Station or Fort Neal was built in 1785 by Capt. James Neal, Revolutionary War veteran, who led a party of settlers to the mouth of the Little Kanawha. Neal first came here in 1783 surveying present site of Parkersburg. — Map (db m73623) HM WM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Ohio / West Virginia
Ohio Named for the river, called by the Iroquois the "Beautiful River." Visited by LaSalle in 1769-1770. Once part of the Northwest Territory. Settled at Marietta, 1788. Admitted to the Union, 1803. Home of 8 United States Presidents. West . . . — Map (db m73515) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Old Tollgate House
Here is the site of the Old Tollgate House where the Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike and the Northwestern Turnpike met. Surveyed by Col. Claudius Crozet, both roads were completed to the Ohio River by 1850. — Map (db m73619) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Old Turnpikes
Washington, who had favored the Braddock Road, proposed the Northwestern Turnpike to the Ohio through Virginia in 1784. It was completed to Parkersburg in 1838. The road from Staunton to Parkersburg was opened in 1847. — Map (db m73620) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Parkersburg
Blockhouse at "Point" built by Virginia for border defense during the Indian hostilities. Garrisoned by troops under Bogard, Coburn, and others. Still standing in 1803. County seat established in 1800 on land given by John Stokley. — Map (db m73517) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Parkersburg in 1861
Parkersburg, (West) Virginia, was first settled permanently in 1785 by Capt. James Neal and other kinfolk and neighbors from Springhill Township, Fayette County, Pa. First chartered by the Virginia Assembly in 1800 as Newport, the town was . . . — Map (db m73605) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — RailroadsAnn Street Station
Railroads played an important role in the development of Parkersburg. The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad reached Parkersburg in 1857, and the railroad bridge over the Ohio River was completed in 1871. It measures 7140 feet in length and at the time of . . . — Map (db m73568) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Sumner School
Established in January 1862 thru the leadership of Robert Simmons. First free school south of Mason-Dixon Line. Later named for abolitionist senator Charles Sumner. First high school class graduated, 1887. Closed in 1955 as state began integration . . . — Map (db m73516) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — The Beautiful Ohio River
The Ohio River, called La Belle Riviere (the beautiful river) by the French, derives its name from an Iroquois word meaning “good river” or “large river.” The Ohio flows generally along a southwesterly 981-mile course from . . . — Map (db m73592) HM WM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — The Block-House
Northeast of this spot on river bank stood the Block-House built in 1784 by James Neal. — Map (db m73626) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — The PointParkersburg-Belpre Ferry Boat
The confluence of the Ohio and Little Kanawha Rivers is known as “the Point.” It was the site of downtown Parkersburg’s earliest settlement and the stopping place for several famous people. George Washington paused here in his trip down . . . — Map (db m73580) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — The Toll House
This marks the site of The Toll House at the meeting of the Staunton and Northwestern Pikes over which came the sturdy pioneers to settle Wood County. — Map (db m73621) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Vital Transportation CenterMcClellan Occupies Parkersburg
At the beginning of the Civil War, both sides recognized the strategic importance of Parkersburg. Besides its location on the Ohio River, the Northwestern Virginia Railroad branch of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, the Staunton and Parkersburg . . . — Map (db m73538) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — W.H. Smith Hardward Co
National Register of Historic Places-W.H. Smith Hardware Co. Building-1889 — Map (db m73535) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — West Virginia's First Governor / Parkersburg Governors
West Virginia's First Governor Arthur I. Boreman presided at June 1861 Wheeling Convention where statehood plan formulated. Elected state's first governor June 20, 1863. He served three, two-year terms, resigning in 1868 to take U.S. Senate . . . — Map (db m73519) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Women of Courage
Aunt Jenny, African American, who blew horn at the "Point" as signal to river boats, served as "Conductor" on the Underground Railroad. Jane, of "low stature and very fleshy," "lame in one leg," and age 50, escaped Aug. 1843 with seven of her . . . — Map (db m73564) HM WM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Wood County Court House
National Register of Historic Places-Wood County Court House 1899 — Map (db m73518) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Williamstown — Commandant Archbold Henderson
Archbold Henderson was the brother of Alexander Henderson, father of G. W. Henderson who built Henderson Hall. He was Commandant of the Marine Corps for 38 years from 1821 to 1859. He served on the U.S. Constitution, “Old Ironsides” in . . . — Map (db m73514) WM
West Virginia (Wood County), Williamstown — Henderson HallHolding Firm for the Union
This was the home of George Washington Henderson, a prominent Wood County resident, slaveholder, and participant in the West Virginia statehood movement during the Civil War. Henderson served as a member of the county’s contingent to the convention . . . — Map (db m73513) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Williamstown — Tomlinson Mansion
This restored colonial brick mansion built, 1839, by Joseph Tomlinson III, is town's oldest home. John Audubon, famous U.S. naturalist who painted and wrote about birds of North America, spent some time here studying birds of the area. — Map (db m73512) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Williamstown — Williamstown
Named for Isaac Williams, who settled in 1787 on land preempted in 1770 by Joseph Tomlinson and his children, Joseph, Samuel, and Rebecca. Williams, veteran of border wars, married Rebecca. Court met at their home in 1800. — Map (db m73496) HM

32 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement