Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Door County Wisconsin Historical Markers

 
8064 Hwy. 57 and Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., October 6, 2015
8064 Hwy. 57 and Marker
Wisconsin (Door County), Baileys Harbor — 8064 Hwy. 57
On State Highway 57 north of Bluff Road, on the right when traveling north.

Now known as the Hjertehjem Shop, Roger Eatough also built this original building, the south part, in 1885. The foundation of chipped stone is no longer visible. The original part was used as a drug store, furniture store, a mortuary, and the . . . — Map (db m89936) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Baileys Harbor — 8068 Hwy. 57
On State Highway 57 0.1 miles north of Bluff Road, on the right when traveling north.

Nathan Nichols (the north building) was formerly two buildings, now connected, that were built by Roger Eatough (owner of the Globe Hotel). The little house in the rear was built as a residence and was built in 1890. The building to the north . . . — Map (db m89938) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Baileys Harbor — August Zahn Residence — 1912
On State Highway 57 north of Park Road, on the right when traveling north.

This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m89940) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Baileys Harbor — Baileys Harbor Lower Range Light
On Ridges Road 0.3 miles east of Wisconsin Highway 57, on the left when traveling east.
This lower rangelight and the upper rangelight residence, 950 feet inland, were built by the U.S. Lighthouse Service in 1869. The upper rangelight also served as the lighthouse keepers residence and is 15 feet taller than the lower tower. this . . . — Map (db m39252) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Baileys Harbor — Baileys Harbor Town Marina
Near State Highway 57 at County Road F / EE, on the right when traveling north.
On the shores of beautiful Lake Michigan, Baileys Harbor was the first established village on the Door Peninsula. In 1848, Captain Justice Bailey was seeking refuge from a ferocious storm and came ashore in the sheltered harbor. Discovering abundant . . . — Map (db m74480) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Baileys Harbor — Schooner Christina Nilsson — Historic Shipwreck — Wisconsin's Maritime Trails —
Near State Highway 57 at County Road F / EE, on the right when traveling north.
Type: wooden schooner Built: 1871, Hanson & Scove, Manitowoc, Wis. Sank: Oct. 24, 1884 Length: 139.4' Beam 26' Cargoes: pig iron Propulsion: sail, three-masted Depth of wreckage: 15' Listed on the National Register of . . . — Map (db m74261) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Baileys Harbor — War Memorial
On State Highway 57 at County Road F, on the left when traveling north on State Highway 57.
Dedicated to Those Who Served This Community in All Wars 1959 Baileys Harbor Lions Club — Map (db m75091) WM
Wisconsin (Door County), Brussels — Well Site — Tornado Memorial Park
On County Route DK west of Stevenson Pier Road, on the left when traveling north.
During the fire of October 8, 1871, this well site was used by seven persons as a place of refuge. The last man to the well found the wood curb on fire. After tearing off the curb he entered the well and pulled a wet blanket over the opening. Five . . . — Map (db m39008) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Cana Island — Steamer Frank O'Connor — Historic Shipwreck — Wisconsin's Maritime Trails —

Type: wooden bulk carrier Built: 1892 as City of Naples, James Davidson, West Bay City, Mich. Sank: Oct. 2, 1919 Length: 301' Beam 42.5' Cargoes: grain, coal, and iron ore Propulsion: triple-expansion steam engine; propeller . . . — Map (db m89957) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Egg Harbor — Cupola House
On Egg Harbor Road (State Highway 42) south of Orchard Road, on the right when traveling north.
The Cupola House National Historic Landmark Est. 1871 — Map (db m130500) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Egg Harbor — Egg Harbor — A Prosperous Village on the Bay
On Horseshoe Bay Road at Egg Harbor Road (State Highway 42), on the right when traveling south on Horseshoe Bay Road.
Blessed with good farmland and a deep water port, Egg Harbor has thrived since its beginning in 1861. In the early years, Egg Harbor served fishermen, farmers, and lumbermen. It was the first community in Door County to hard surface its road. . . . — Map (db m130495) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Egg Harbor — Halfway to the North Pole
Near Egg Harbor Road (State Highway 42) north of Wayside Road, on the right when traveling south.
The 45th parallel (45 Degrees North Latitude) runs through this wayside. This is the midpoint between the equator and North Pole. But because the Earth is slightly flattened at the poles, the distance from the 45th parallel to the North Pole is . . . — Map (db m26713) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Ellison Bay — Ellison Bay — Town of Liberty Grove
On Sunnyside Lane (State Highway 42) 0.1 miles north of Porcupine Bay Road, on the left when traveling north.
The land surrounding you was once owned by John Ellison. Johan Eliason, later known as John Ellison, was a Danish immigrant who founded this community in 1865. He purchased 8,000 acres of land including a mile of shoreline, and advertised in . . . — Map (db m130477) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Ellison Bay — Niagara Escarpment
On Sunnyside Lane (State Highway 42) 0.1 miles north of Porcupine Bay Road, on the left when traveling north.
The limestone bluffs you see along Green Bay are part of the same formation that Niagara Falls plunges over in New York. The Niagara Escarpment arches for a thousand miles around the Great Lakes. Lower layers of soft, erodible shale are . . . — Map (db m130478) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Ellison Bay — The Hotz Estate
Near County Highway NP 3.4 miles south of State Highway 42, on the right when traveling east.
In 1917, Ferdinand Hotz of Chicago purchased 1,015 acres of land which later became Newport State Park. He thought this was the finest place on earth, and in 1919 he began building an estate that would include the log cabin, carriage house, and . . . — Map (db m74505) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Ephraim — Anderson Dock
Near State Highway 42 at Anderson Lane, on the right when traveling south.
Aslag Anderson, Norwegian born mill-wright, built this store and dock in 1858. The dock served as the transportation center for this area from the sailing days through the steamship era in the 1920's. On Anderson's death in 1892, two of . . . — Map (db m57690) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Ephraim — First Permanent Colony in Door County
On Water Street (State Highway 42) north of Cherry Street, on the left when traveling north.
Near this spot a Moravian Congregation, Reverend A.M. Iverson, Pastor landed May, 1853, forming the first permanent colony in Door County ——— Erected 1923 — Map (db m15714) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Fish Creek — A Road Less Traveled — Eagle Terrace
On Eagle Terrace Road 0.3 miles east of Shore Road, on the left when traveling south.
More than one million people visit Peninsula State Park every year but most days Eagle Terrace is quiet. Congratulate yourself for discovering a place less traveled! Eagle Terrace links events that span centuries. Was this jagged promontory a . . . — Map (db m75111) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Fish Creek — A State Park System is Formed — Peninsula Leads the Way
Near Shore Road 0.2 miles north of Skyline Road, on the left when traveling north.
"One by one," Assemblyman Tom Reynolds told the Wisconsin Legislature, "all the places of scenic beauty and historical interest are passing away. Before it is too late, it is well to pause and consider whether it is not befitting that some of them . . . — Map (db m79015) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Fish Creek — Eagle Bluff Lighthouse — Peninsula's Maritime Heritage
Near Shore Road 3.6 miles north of Main Street (Wisconsin Highway 42), on the left when traveling north.
Sailing vessels used two channels when navigating this part of Green Bay. The first was the western passage on the far side of Chambers Island. The second lies before you: the treacherous passage between the shore and the Strawberry Islands. . . . — Map (db m75285) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Fish Creek — Island Paradise — Horseshoe Island
On Shore Road 4.5 miles north of Main Street (Wisconsin Highway 42), on the left when traveling north.
Northern white cedar trees cling to the rocky rim of 38-acre Horseshoe Island. A tangle of birch and balsam fir, with pale blossoms of climbing fumitory, grow on the island, too. Long ago, people lived on Horseshoe Island. Indian people, . . . — Map (db m74416) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Fish Creek — Life on the Ledge — The Niagara Escarpment
On Shore Road west of Eagle Terrace, on the left when traveling west.
Welcome to Peninsula State Park, a diverse and dramatic place. Two features dominate this landscape: rock and water. At Peninsula, rocky bluffs ascend over 150 feet. They are part of the Niagara Escarpment, a 650-mile geologic formation. This . . . — Map (db m79261) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Fish Creek — Oak Leaf Anchor
Near Shore Road.
The 1,000 pound anchor from the schooner "Oak Leaf" Launched on April 14, 1866 Sank in Sturgeon Bay in 1926 — Map (db m131466) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Fish Creek — Privilege in the Park — Camp Meenahga 1916-1948
Near Shore Road 0.3 miles north of Mengelberg Lane, on the left when traveling north.
What was summer like in Door County in the early 1900s? If you were a local girl, you might clean rooms at a family hotel or help with farm chores. Perhaps you would tend to younger siblings. If old enough, you might even work at Camp Meenahga. . . . — Map (db m79006) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Fish Creek — Shorelines and Sedge Meadows — Weborg Point
On Shore Road 0.8 miles north of Main Street (Wisconsin Highway 42), on the right when traveling north.
Peninsula's eight-mile shoreline is ever changing. Some years, a soggy cobblestone coast cradles sparse populations of unusual flowers. When water is high, crayfish thrive in crevices of the rocky coast, providing food for abundant smallmouth . . . — Map (db m75181) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Fish Creek — 386 — The Alexander Noble House
On Main Street (State Highway 42) east of Spruce Street, on the right when traveling east.
The Alexander Noble House was built in 1875 on land purchased from Asa Thorp, the founder of the Village of Fish Creek. This Greek Revival Style-influenced resi­dence is the Village's oldest existing dwelling still in its original location. Born in . . . — Map (db m105232) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Fish Creek — The Thorp Cabin
Near Main Street.
The Thorp Family was very influential in the early growth of Door County. Asa Thorp, a New York cooper by trade, permanently settled in Fish Creek in the mid 1850s. Asa established an early pier, a warehouse, and a sawmill to supply residents and . . . — Map (db m95719) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Fish Creek — Why Green Bay?
On Shore Road 2 miles north of Main Street (Wisconsin Highway 42), on the left when traveling north.
When spring burst forth, voyageurs paddled from Montreal, Canada to trade at outposts on the Great Lakes. After the long, white northern winter, they welcomed the green of spring found upon reaching Green Bay. Voyagers identified places by natural . . . — Map (db m75179) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Gills Rock — Pilot Island Site — Historic Shipwrecks — Wisconsin's Maritime Trails —
On State Highway 42 east of South Port des Morts Drive, on the right when traveling east.
J.E. Gilmore · Type: wooden schooner · Built: 1867, Asa Wilcox, · Three Mile Bay, N.Y. · Length: 137.7' · Beam: 25.4' · Propulsion: sail, 2 masted. Forest · Type: wooden scow-schooner · Built: 1857, . . . — Map (db m38339) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Gills Rock — Rudder from the "City of Glasgow" — Sunk in Lily Bay — Oct. 6, 1917 —
Near West Wisconsin Bay Road 0.1 miles north of State Highway 42, on the right when traveling north.
Rudder from the “City of Glasgow” Sunk in Lily Bay, Oct. 6, 1917 Raised by Century Divers, Aug. 29, 1971 and donated to the Door County Maritime Museum. — Map (db m130499) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Gills Rock — The Skipper
On State Highway 42 at West Wisconsin Bay Road, on the left when traveling east on State Highway 42.
Howard and Emery Weborg had been fishermen all their lives. Howard began fishing with his father Alfred in 1917. Soon Emery joined them fishing on their father's boat, the Golden Girl. At age 64, Alfred suffered an angina attack and died . . . — Map (db m130497) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Institute — Scow Schooner Ocean Wave — Historic Shipwreck — Wisconsin's Maritime Trails —
Near Clark Lake Road (County Road WD) 3.8 miles east of State Highway 57, on the right when traveling east.
Type: Wooden schooner, two-masted Built: 1860, Robert Chambers, Harsen's Island, Mich. Sank: September 23, 1869 Length: 73'   Beam 20' Cargo: Stone Depth of Wreckage: 110' Listed on the National Register of Historic Places . . . — Map (db m74312) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Jacksonport — Halfway to the North Pole
Near State Highway 57, on the left when traveling north.
The 45th parallel (45 Degrees North Latitude) runs through a point one half mile south of this wayside (intersection of Hwy. 57 and Logerquist Road). This is the geographical midpoint between the equator and North Pole. But, because the earth is . . . — Map (db m26671) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Jacksonport — 493 — Jacksonport United Methodist Church
On North Cave Point Drive south of Wisconsin Highway 57, on the left when traveling south.
Also known as “The Little White Church by the Lake,” the Jacksonport United Methodist Church was completed in 1892. Its simple design is attributed to George Bagnall Sr., one of the original builders. Alex Halstead, Harry Wilson Sr. and . . . — Map (db m12114) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Jacksonport — Reynolds' Pier — Wisconsin's Maritime Trails — Historic Site —
Near Lakeside Park Drive at State Highway 57.
Schooner Perry Hannah Type: Wooden Schooner, two-masted Built: 1859, Thomas Arnold, Newport, Mich. Sank: October 16, 1880 Length: 93’ Beam: 25’ Cargo: Wood Depth of Wreckage: 6’ Schooner Cecelia Type: Wooden . . . — Map (db m107152) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Jacksonport — 544 — Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church
Near County Road T at Wendt Lane, on the right when traveling north.
On January 18, 1889, Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church was formally incorporated. The congregation consisted mostly of German Lutheran immigrants from the district of Saxon-Weimar-Eisenach who settled in the Jacksonport area. That spring the newly . . . — Map (db m67017) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Jacksonsport — 521 — The Episcopal Church of the Holy Nativity
On County Route V 0.2 miles west of County Road A, on the right when traveling west.
The Reverend W. R. Gardner founded the Episcopal Church of the Holy Nativity in 1882 to serve the Canadian Anglicans who had relocated to the area after the Civil War to cut and haul timber. Services were held once a month at the village . . . — Map (db m59212) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Namur — After the Fire: The Vandermissen Brickworks Site — From First Americans to Euroamericans — Archaeology and History of the WIS 57 Transportation Corridor —
On County Road DK east of County Road N, on the left when traveling east.
What Does the Vandermissen Brickworks Site Represent? On October 8, 1871, the Peshtigo fire destroyed many of the Belgian farms and small towns along the west side of the Door Peninsula. The Belgians rebuilt after the fire using bricks . . . — Map (db m80223) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Namur — 321 — Belgian Settlement in Wisconsin
On County Road DK east of County Road N, on the left when traveling east.
Wisconsin's and the nation's largest Belgian American settlement is located in por­tions of Brown, Kewaunee and Door counties adjacent to the waters of Green Bay. Walloon-speaking Belgians settled the region in the 1850s and still constitute a high . . . — Map (db m12141) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Namur — Historic Euroamerican Settlement of the Door Peninsula — From First Americans to Euroamericans — Archaeology and History of the WIS 57 Transportation Corridor —
On County Road DK east of County Road N, on the left when traveling east.
Early Presence Jean Nicolet was among the first Europeans to arrive in Wisconsin, landing on the eastern shore of Green Bay near Red Banks in 1634. He was followed by Claude Allouez in 1639 and Father Louis Hennepin in 1675. For . . . — Map (db m80287) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Namur — The WIS 57 Reconstruction Project in Brown, Kewaunee, and Door Counties — From First Americans to Euroamericans — Archaeology and History of the WIS 57 Transportation Corridor —
On County Road DK east of County Road N, on the left when traveling east.
Why Was This Project Undertaken? WIS 57 is the primary route into and out of the Door Peninsula's popular resort country and by the early 1990s had become inadequate to safely carry current traffic loads. A Wisconsin . . . — Map (db m80274) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Namur — The Fire of 1871 and Williamsonville: A 19th Century Euroamerican Settlement in Door County — From First Americans to Euroamericans — Archaeology and History of the WIS 57 Transportation Corridor —
On County Road DK east of County Road N, on the left when traveling east.
The Town of Williamsonville Tornado Memorial Park in Door County is located on the site of the former settlement of Williamsonville. The town was settled by the Williamson family in 1869 to take advantage of the Door County State Road . . . — Map (db m80215) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Namur — Transportation Archaeology on the WIS 57 Project — From First Americans to Euroamericans — Archaeology and History of the WIS 57 Transportation Corridor —
On County Road DK east of County Road N, on the left when traveling east.
Historic Preservation and the WIS 57 Project The National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 (NHPA) requires federal agencies to take into account the effect their projects might have on historic properties . . . — Map (db m80311) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sevastopol — A Fortunate Mix — Fruitful Soils and Climate
On State Highway 42 at Forest Road, on the right when traveling north on State Highway 42.
Sevastopol orchards thrive in an ideal blend of climate and soils. Lime-rich soils provide essential nutrients for fruit trees. In addition, cool spring temperatures moderated by the waters and ice of Lake Michigan and Green Bay delay blooming. . . . — Map (db m130498) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sevastopol — Propeller and Shaft
Near Bayshore Dr..
This stern frame cast iron propeller and steel shaft is believed to be from the lumber steamer Mueller which was built as Edwin S. Tice in 1887 at the Burger yards in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. She measured 159.9 x 32.1 x 12.5; 728 gross tons. The vessel . . . — Map (db m95178) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sevastopol — Town of Sevastopol — Orchard Country
On State Highway 42 at Forest Road, on the right when traveling north on State Highway 42.
Sevastopol is the heart of Door Peninsula's famous fruit orchards. Swiss immigrant Joseph Zettel planted the first orchard one mile from here in 1862. His State Fair apple exhibit led University of Wisconsin scientists Emmett Golf and Arthur . . . — Map (db m130496) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sister Bay — Nature of Sister Bay — A Face to the Sunset
On North Bay Shore Drive (State Highway 42) south of Mill Road, on the right when traveling north.
Sister Bay was named For the Sister Islands that Flank its harbor. This pair of small uninhabited islands is a significant nesting site for gulls and terns. The Village of Sister Bay offers the largest public waterfront in Door County for . . . — Map (db m130452) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sister Bay — Village of Sister Bay — A Prosperous Port on Green Bay
On North Bay Shore Drive (State Highway 42) south of Mill Road, on the right when traveling north.
Village life has always revolved around this deep water port. The community of Sister Bay was born in 1870 when the firm of Henderson, Coon & Dimond built a pier, sawmill, grist mill, hotel, and two stores. They hired Swedish woodchoppers . . . — Map (db m130480) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — "The Old Rugged Cross"
On West Maple Street at North Kendall Avenue, on the left when traveling east on West Maple Street.
Most popular and widely accepted Christian hymn "The Old Rugged Cross" completed by Rev. George Bennard during Evangelistic meetings here Dec. 29, 1912 - Jan. 12, 1913 First sung as a quartet in the Friends Church Parlors and as a duet at . . . — Map (db m59215) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — ‘Old Bell’ Tower
On North 3rd Avenue at Kentucky Street on North 3rd Avenue.
A modern rendition of Bank of Sturgeon Bay's original tower erected in 1900 on the NW corner of 3rd Ave. & Kentucky St., and removed in 1939. The original bell was reacquired with the cooperation of the First Baptist Church of Sturgeon Bay where it . . . — Map (db m15722) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — 110-114 North 3rd Avenue
On 3rd Avenue (County Road B) at Louisiana Street, on the right when traveling north on 3rd Avenue.

This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m89963) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — 41-Foot Utility Boat Large (UTB)
On Madison Avenue, on the right when traveling north.

The Coast Guard built 207 UTBs, at a cost of $235,000 for each boat, all at the Coast Guard Yard in Curtis Bay, Maryland, from 1973 to 1978. The 41-ft. UTB has been one of the most successful boats in Coast Guard history, ably serving as the . . . — Map (db m89920) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Air Funnel

This steel air funnel is from the iron ore carrier Middleton. This ship was also known as Nashanic, Gulfoil, and Pioneer Challenger. The vessel was built at the Bethlehem Steel Company Shipyard at Sparrows Point, . . . — Map (db m89900) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Anchor
On Madison Avenue at Locust Court, on the right when traveling north on Madison Avenue.

This anchor was recovered in Northern Lake Michigan in 1979 by the crew of the USCG cutter/buoy tender Acacia when that ship was stationed in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. It was assumed that the anchor got fouled in the rocks and could not . . . — Map (db m89905) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Bradley Crandall Sawmill Site
On North 3rd Avenue (County Highway B) near Delaware Street, on the left when traveling north.
This sawmill led to the founding of Sturgeon Bay 1853 The Founding of Little Lake Sturgeon Bay's first major settlement was founded in 1853 with the construction of the Bradley-Crandall Sawmill. The original mill was located on a . . . — Map (db m26859) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Buoy and Sinker
Near South Neenah Avenue.
Sailors have long used floating objects secured to the sea bottom to mark reefs, shoals and other obstructions. Early markers were simply a log or barrel tied to a large rock strategically placed to warn mariners of danger. Over time these markers . . . — Map (db m131507) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Capstans
On North Madison Avenue.
These vertical drums revolved on a spindle and were used for generating power required in heaving on a rope or an achor cable. Donated by Janice D. Turner Pfingsten in memory of Elmer W. Richter, USCG — Map (db m131461) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Captain John Roen — 1887 - 1970

Born in Tysse, Norway, where steep cliffs and narrow inlets receive the sea, John Roen answered the call to a life of adventure, traveling to the U.S. in 1906. He became a Captain in 1920, and through astute purchases of Great Lakes vessels he . . . — Map (db m89854) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Door County's Stone Fleet — Wisconsin's Maritime Trails —
Near Park Drive (County Highway PD) 2.4 miles north of Green Bay Road (State Highway 42 / 57), on the right when traveling north.
Behind you, Government Bluff rises 150 feet above the waters of Sturgeon Bay. It was here that Door County’s first industry began in 1834 — a limestone quarry. Originally intended for a military fort that was never constructed, the stone was . . . — Map (db m74258) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Dunlap Reef Light Tower
On Madison Avenue north of Larch Street, on the right when traveling north.

This light tower was used by the Coast Guard to mark Dunlap Reef, which is east of the navigation channel and north of the railroad bridge spur. (Bay View Park) in Sturgeon Bay.

Purchased with funds provided by Door County Marine Men's Club — Map (db m90974) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Eastern Terminus Ice Age National Scenic Trail — Potawatomi State Park
Near North Norwood Road.
This site marks the Eastern Terminus of the Ice Age National Scenic Trail. The Trail was designated a National Scenic Trail by Congress in 1980 and Wisconsin's first State Scenic Trail in 1987. The Western Terminus is in Interstate State Park on . . . — Map (db m39249) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Ellsworth L. Peterson — 1924 -

With a maritime career begun in 1941 at Peterson Boat Works stockroom, Ellsworth attended the USMMA [United States Merchant Marine Academy] Kings Point and sailed on tankers in WWII. He rejoined his family's business, learned the tools of the . . . — Map (db m89881) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Fish Tug Linda E — Vanished 11 Dec. 1998

Leif E. Weborg Of Gills Rock Wis Scott T. Matta Of Milwaukee Wis. Warren G. Olson Jr. Of Marinette Wis. — Map (db m89896) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Fred J. Peterson — 1894 - 1993

Fred started his career in 1908 in his father's boatyard, Peterson Boat Works (PBW), at age 14. After PBW burned in 1918, Fred worked as a shipbuilding supervisor at Leathem Smith Shipyard. A resourceful entrepreneur, he was involved in . . . — Map (db m89860) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — George J. Baudhuin — 1909 - 1969

George J. "Butch" Baudhuin was a primary force in the pleasure boat industry in Door County. Recognizing Sturgeon Bay's unique location connecting Lake Michigan and Green Bay, he began Baudhuin Yacht Harbor (now Sturgeon Bay Yacht Harbor) in . . . — Map (db m89855) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Hay Hardware — 1889 — Third Avenue Historic District —
On 3rd Avenue at Kentucky Street, on the right when traveling south on 3rd Avenue.

This visually prominent building is a handsome example of the two-part commercial block style common during the period. It originally anchored what was once downtown's principal business corner prior to the completion of the Michigan Street . . . — Map (db m89958) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Historic Museum Tug John Purves — WWII Veteran (US Army Transport LT145) — Constructed in 1919 as the Butterfield

[Title is text] — Map (db m89890) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Historic Sturgeon Bay — Downtown Historic District
On North 3rd Avenue at Kentucky Street on North 3rd Avenue.
The Downtown Historic District includes over forty late 19th and early 20th century commercial, civic and converted buildings. It is located along the three block long heart of Sturgeon Bay's traditional downtown. The District grew as a casual grid . . . — Map (db m26885) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Howard A & Lou E Olson — 9/13/07 - 2/28/2002 • 12/30/14 - 7/16/2002 — In Memory of —

Howard loved the water, sailing and knew all about ships. He was a sailor, shipbuilder, boat launcher, and a long-time DCMM docent. He couldn't wait to sail each spring.

Lou was a great supporter of Howard. She cared for their home, . . . — Map (db m89897) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Karl Overland — April 24, 1912 - March 6, 1997 — To the Memory of —
On Columbia Avenue north of Green Bay Road (Wisconsin Highway 42/57), on the right when traveling north.

Caring - Compassionate - Loving Co-Founder of Overland Bolling Company Committed and devoted to his Customers and Employees Remembered for his warm friendly smile Lived his life by these simple words You Reap What You Sow" "Be The . . . — Map (db m89827) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Karl Overland — April 24, 1912 - March 6, 1997 — In the Memory of —

United States Coast Guard Radio Tower

Karl Overland Co-Founder of Overland Bolling Company Founded in 1956

Lived his life by these simple words "You Reap What You Sow" "Be The Best That You Can Be In This Land of . . . — Map (db m89884) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — 417 — Leathem and Smith Quarry
Near Bay Shore Drive (County Highway B) 0.4 miles north of Bay Shore Heights Drive, on the left when traveling north.
John Leathem and Thomas Smith established this dolomite quarry at the mouth of Sturgeon Bay in 1893. Though they produced dimension stone for building harbors around Lake Michigan, Leathem and Smith's quarry became a major operation by capitalizing . . . — Map (db m39345) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Lost Great Lakes Mariners

For many centuries, mariners have traversed the Great Lakes to deliver passengers and cargo, to gather fish, and to enjoy the splendid waters. This plaque is dedicated to those who lost their lives in this great water wilderness: the commercial . . . — Map (db m89853) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Masonic Temple — 1928 — Third Avenue Historic District —
On 3rd Avenue south of Michigan Street, on the right when traveling south.

The Henry S. Baird Masonic Lodge was initially established in 1878 and was housed in a number of locations around downtown [illegible] 50 years before establishing a permanent home at this location. The building was designed by local architect . . . — Map (db m89962) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Merchants Exchange Bank
On 3rd Avenue (County Road B) at Michigan Street (County Road B), on the right when traveling north on 3rd Avenue.

This structure is listed in the National Register of Historic Places in Washington, D.C. — Map (db m89961) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Portage Park
On Lake Forest Park Road (County Route TT).
Here began the Indian canoe portage between Lake MIchigan and Sturgeon Bay — Map (db m39092) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Propeller and Stirrup Bearing
On Madison Avenue north of Larch Street, on the right when traveling north.

This cast iron propeller and stirrup bearing unit is from the Steamer Wotum, which was built in 1893. This historic ship was 190 feet long, had a 36-foot beam, and weighed 936 gross tons. A steam engine was installed about 1910 - fore . . . — Map (db m90975) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Propellers from the tug John Purves — 4-blade, 76 in. diameter

These two propellers were removed from the John Purves during her renovation in 2007 and wrapped with rope for display.

They were originally installed in 1957 when the vessel was converted from steam to diesel power at the Sturgeon . . . — Map (db m89886) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Robert E. Peterson — 1922 - 1989

Bob Peterson lived on the water, worked on the water and played on the water. In 1939 he officially joined Peterson Builders Inc., the shipyard started by his father, Fred. After several military deferments, he enlisted in the army and served . . . — Map (db m89858) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Robert Laurie and Alexander Laurie — 1825 - 1889 • 1852 - 1939

In the early 1850's Robert Laurie and his family immigrated to the United States from Glasgow, Scotland. They bought land north of the village of Sturgeon Bay in an area now known as Sevastopol. Mr. Laurie, a sailor and shipbuilder by trade, . . . — Map (db m89852) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Schooner Rudder
On North Madison Avenue.
The schooner was found off Bailey's Harbor in Door County, Wisconsin. The rudder was brought up from Lake Michigan by Century Divers of Lake County, Illinois. It is estimated to be from about 1827. — Map (db m131469) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Semper Paratus
On Madison Avenue north of Locust Court, on the right when traveling north.

This plaque is given by the State of Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs in grateful recognition of the United States Coast Guard, for its long and storied history of steadfast service in Wisconsin. On the mighty Mississippi River, the . . . — Map (db m89903) HM WM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Ship Propellers
On West Maple Street.
Much of the history of the City of Sturgeon Bay has been shaped by the comings and goings of all manner of ships and boats. The marine propeller played an important role as these vessels transitioned from sail to steam as their primary means of . . . — Map (db m131476) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Ship's Double Wheel
Near North Madison Avenue.
Mounted on the stern of the ship over the rudder, the double wheel was used to steer the ship in the event of a breakdown of the regular steering system. The two wheels provided space for additional "man" power. Donated by John and Robert Purves . . . — Map (db m131467) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Steam Barge Joys — Historic Shipwreck — Wisconsin's Maritime Trails —
Near Alabama Street.
Resting 150 yards off shore from here is the wreckage of the steam barge Joys, a vessel once hailed as a “greyhound among lumber carriers” for her record-breaking speed. The Joys was constructed in 1884 in the Milwaukee Ship Yard . . . — Map (db m43400) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Steam Engine
On Madison Avenue north of Larch Street, on the right when traveling north.

This engine is from the Mercury (length 250.8, beam 43.01), which was built by the Pennsylvania Shipyard of Beaumont, Texas. She was launched in June 1937 for Tankers, Inc. before moving to Lakeland Tankers Ltd., its Canadian subsidiary . . . — Map (db m90979) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Sturgeon Bay and Lake Michigan Ship Canal
Near Canal Road east of Buffalo Ridge Road, on the right when traveling east. Reported missing.
This canal was the dream of Joseph Harris, Sr., "the Father of the Sturgeon Bay and Lake Michigan Ship Canal." His intent was not only to provide a shorter and safer route for sailing vessels, but to also become rich by selling building lots along . . . — Map (db m15196) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Sturgeon Bay Bridge
On Madison Avenue at Sturgeon Bay, on the right when traveling north on Madison Avenue.

This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior and the Citizens For Our Bridge organization

Opened July 4, 1931 . . . — Map (db m90978) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Sturgeon Bay's Waterfront History — An Historic Coast Guard City
On South Neenah Avenue.
For over 140 years, the City of Sturgeon Bay has enjoyed a long and productive relationship with the United States Coast Guard and its predecessor services. In 1873 the Lighthouse Establishment began setting buoys to mark the treacherous Dunlap Reef . . . — Map (db m131472) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Sturgeon Bay's Waterfront History — Crossing the Water
On South Neenah Avenue.
When Sturgeon Bay was settled in the 1850's a boat was needed to cross the bay except in winter when people and teams of horses or oxen could cross over the ice. Ferry service was established beginning in 1860, using rowed or winch pulled ferries . . . — Map (db m131478) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Sturgeon Bay's Waterfront History — Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal
On South Neenah Avenue.
Completion of this waterborne shortcut between Green Bay and Lake Michigan in 1878 is arguably the most important event in the maritime history of the City of Sturgeon Bay and the Door Peninsula as a whole. Officially titled "The Sturgeon Bay and . . . — Map (db m131489) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Sturgeon Bay's Waterfront History — Sawyer Dock and Park
Near South Neenah Avenue.
Prior to merging with the City of Sturgeon Bay in 1891, the west side of the bay was known as Sawyer. Despite being absorbed into Sturgeon Bay, the west side continued to be called Sawyer for many years and many landmarks bear the Sawyer name, . . . — Map (db m131491) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Sturgeon Bay's Waterfront History — The Cutters of Sturgeon Bay
Near South Neenah Avenue.
Revenue Marine and Coast Guard vessels, known as "cutters," have been frequent visitors to the port of Sturgeon Bay for decades. The Door Peninsula's many lighthouses also made Sturgeon Bay a frequent port-of-call for U.S. Lighthouse Service tenders . . . — Map (db m131503) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Sturgeon Bay's Waterfront History — Buoys and Beacons
Near South Neenah Avenue.
An essential element to safe maritime travel has long been visual navigational aids such as buoys and lighthouses. Collectively, this system of markers and beacons is known as Aids to Navigation - or AtoN for short. The five Great Lakes alone . . . — Map (db m131506) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — The Fluke Anchor
Near South Neenah Avenue.
From the earliest days of humans putting to sea in ships, there has been a need to "anchor" a vessel to the bottom. The first anchors were simply large stones. However, the need for a lighter, more efficient securing device quickly became essential. . . . — Map (db m131502) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — The Old Bridge
Near N.Madison Ave..
In pioneer times, private boats and commercial ferries were used to cross the waters of Sturgeon Bay. In 1887 the crossing became considerable [sic] easier when John D. Leathem and Thomas H. Smith completed a toll bridge consisting of a wooden plank . . . — Map (db m43677) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — 98 — The Orchards of Door County
On State Highway 42 near Maple Heights Circle (unmarked private farm road).
In 1858 Joseph Zettel, a native of Switzerland, acquired the farm directly south of this Station and established the first commercial orchard on the Door Peninsula. The high yields and quality of his fruit aroused the interest of Emmett S. Goff of . . . — Map (db m5190) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Wisconsin State Rock
Near Canal Road east of Buffalo Ridge Road, on the right when traveling east.
This monument is an intrusive igneous red granite rock — the official rock of the State of Wisconsin. It was quarried near Wausau, Wisconsin, and specifically known as "Wisconsin Ruby Red." It was crystallized from magma about 1750 million . . . — Map (db m15205) HM

98 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement