This cemetery marks the gravesites of Welsh families, who began settling here in 1845. They purchased land from the federal government for $1.25 per acre and began establishing farms, building homes, and forming a tight knit community. "The Yankees . . . — — Map (db m35401) HM
The first formal meeting elected the following to have charge of the building of a church: William Reese, Thomas Lewis, James Lloyd, Aaron Jones, Thomas Edmonds, James Francis and Rev. Austin
A sum of $505.00 was raised with a proposal that "a . . . — — Map (db m35402) HM
Side A The First Methodist Episcopal congregation began building this church in 1869 to replace an earlier church built in 1843. The parsonage was completed in 1886 and the congregation dedicated the completed church in 1887.
The church . . . — — Map (db m35406) HM
Born in 1836 in Canton Berne, Switzerland, where he learned cheese making, Nickolaus Gerber immigrated to New York and founded that state's first Limburger cheese factory. After hearing reports of successful dairy cattle-raising in Green County, . . . — — Map (db m35473) HM
Herbert Kubly, the grandson of Swiss immigrants, was born on the Kubly Family Farm in New Glarus. A noted author and playwright, Kubly's first book, American in Italy, won the National Book Award in 1956. Kubly also authored ten other books . . . — — Map (db m32127) HM
In 1845 the Emigration Society of the Canton of Glarus, Switzerland, sent Nicholas Duerst and Fridolin Streiff to the United States to purchase land for a Swiss settlement. They were joined in August by 108 settlers who began their homesteads on . . . — — Map (db m5052) HM