On August 16, 1886 the Appleton Electric Street Railway Company began operation of the world’s first commercially successful electric street railway. The cars were driven by Van Depoele direct current motors which received power from a hydroelectric . . . — — Map (db m10457) HM
On this site November 25, 1882 the Appleton Edison Light Co. began operating the first Edison Hydroelectric System in America.
Plaque donated to Outagamie County Historical Society by the family of Harold F. Parish November, 1979 — — Map (db m20865) HM
On September 30, 1882 this Victorian home became the first residence electrified from a centrally located hydro-electric plant. Henry J. Rogers, pioneer industrialist, built and lighted this home as a showplace for his wife, using the same power . . . — — Map (db m43367) HM
In 1835, just west of this marker, Hippolyte Grignon, the first white settler in what was to become Appleton, built a log house known as “White Heron” with two attached wings for a trading post and quarters for travelers. Within the . . . — — Map (db m61791) HM
Lawrence University, chartered January 15, 1847, has admitted women to its student body from the day classes started November 12, 1849, in the original Academy or Institute. The first collegiate class of seven students -- four men and three women -- . . . — — Map (db m10247) HM
· Built in 1913 by American Locomotive Co.
· Original cost was $24,587.00
· Wt. of engine and tender 493,570 lbs.
· Tractive effort 36,833 lbs.
· Capacity 12,000 gals. of water and
17 1/2 tons of coal
· Maximum speed over 100 . . . — — Map (db m17305) HM
Dedicated to the memory of
our comrades who entered the
service of their country
from Outagamie County
and who gave their lives in
the World War
Oney Johnson Post No. 38, . . . — — Map (db m46865) HM
Built by the City of Appleton
as a lasting monument to
the memory of the soldiers
and sailors of the Civil,
Spanish-American and World Wars.
The above plaque dedicated
the . . . — — Map (db m46912) HM
Oliver Hudson Kelley organized National Grange, Patrons of Husbandry in Washington D.C., December 4, 1867. The Wisconsin State Grange was organized October 24, 1872 by National Deputy J. C. Abbott.
South Greenville Grange No. 225 was organized by . . . — — Map (db m3716) HM
Lawrence University, chartered on January 15, 1847, was the first college in Wisconsin founded as a coeducational institution. Preparatory classes began in 1849; college classes began in 1853. The first collegiate class of seven students – . . . — — Map (db m77248) HM
On November 25, 1882, the Vulcan Street Hydroelectric Central Station began operation. The Vulcan Street Plant featured a direct-current Edison “K”-type dynamo and lit the homes of A. L. and H. D. Smith, five or six mills, a blast . . . — — Map (db m84645) HM
Near this site on September 30, 1882, the world's first hydroelectric central station began operation. The station, here reproduced, was known as the Vulcan Street Plant and had a direct current generator capable of lighting 250 sixteen-candle power . . . — — Map (db m20863) HM
Horton was born in Connecticut. In 1848, he purchased land in this heavily forested area and built a dam across Black Otter Creek to power a sawmill. Water collecting behind Horton's dam formed Black Otter Lake.
Hortonville, named after its . . . — — Map (db m20657) HM
In this area, part of the Statesburg settlement, are the graves of Hendrick Aupaumut and Jacob Konkapot, Stockbridge Indians of Massachusetts. Captain Aupaumut won the notice of George Washington. Able tribal counselor, he served as envoy to western . . . — — Map (db m22449) HM
Dominique Ducharme first known white settler at Kaukauna. In Wisconsin’s first recorded Deed For Land in 1793, he obtained 1281 acres of land from several Indian tribes, for 2 barrels of rum and other gifts. This is now the City of Kaukauna. Today . . . — — Map (db m4239) HM
The Treaty of the Cedars was concluded on the Fox River near here September 3, 1836. Under the treaty the Menominee Indian nation ceded to the United States about 4,000,000 acres of land for $700,000 (about 17 cents per acre). The area now contains . . . — — Map (db m2490) HM