Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Ozaukee County Wisconsin Historical Markers

 
The Steamer Niagara Anchor image, Touch for more information
By Paul Fehrenbach, August 28, 2011
The Steamer Niagara Anchor
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Belgium — The Steamer Niagara: The Fiery End
Her Saloon is superbly fitted and furnished and the accommodations for steerage passengers on the main deck are unsurpassed. Milwaukee Sentinel May 20, 1846 Between 1844-1857, “palace steamers” ruled Great Lakes . . . — Map (db m47081) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Belgium — 371 — Wisconsin’s Luxembourgers
Many of northeastern Ozaukee County’s prosperous farms, fieldstone houses and outbuildings, and large village churches are characteristic of the Luxembourg immigrant settlement patterns in the area. Beginning in 1845, inexpensive land brought . . . — Map (db m58532) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Cedarburg — Ancient Paths
In our ancient past, Wisconsin was crossed by a system of trails first forged by deer and elk as they migrated in search of good weather, food and salt. Native Americans used the Paths as they hunted, traded, and made war in troubled times. Some . . . — Map (db m66620) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Cedarburg — 61 — Cedarburg Mill
Built of native limestone in 1855 by Frederick Hilgen and William Schroeder at a cost of $22,000, on land at $1 per acre, this mill ground 120 barrels of flour daily. Burchard Weber was the builder. — Map (db m37085) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Cedarburg — 97 — Cedarburg Woolen Mill
Built here in 1864-65 because of Cedar Creek’s water power, Hilgen and Wittenberg’s mill made yarns, blankets and flannels. Incorporated in 1872 as the Cedarburg Woolen Mill, it was the only extensive woolen mill in 1878. A branch mill built in . . . — Map (db m30689) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Cedarburg — 60 — Concordia Mill
Built in 1853 by Edward H. Janssen, with his brother Theodore and a Mr. Gaitsch, this mill exemplifies the local structural use of this area’s excellent native limestone during the middle 1800’s. — Map (db m32802) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Cedarburg — 96 — Hamilton
Settled by Irish immigrants, “New Dublin” was renamed in 1847 after William S. Hamilton, son of Alexander, spent the night here in what became the first stagecoach stop between Milwaukee and Green Bay (1848). Settled before Cedarburg, . . . — Map (db m32799) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Cedarburg — Hamilton Turnhalle1867
The Hamilton Turnhalle, a fieldstone building trimmed with cut limestone quoins, lintels and sills, was constructed by local farmers and merchants in 1867. Edward Janssen was the contractor. The last remaining turner hall of its type in the . . . — Map (db m51002) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Cedarburg — 289 — Historic Cedarburg
The source of Cedarburg’s vigor from its birth as a village in 1845 was the power-producing creek that the Irish and German immigrants found here. After building five dams and five mills, the life of the community flowed along the banks of the Cedar . . . — Map (db m31238) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Cedarburg — 360 — Interurban Bridge / Riding the Interurban
Interurban Bridge In 1907, the Milwaukee Northern Railway Company constructed this riveted-steel Thru Truss Bridge over Cedar Creek. Manufactured by Carnegie Steel and measuring 159 ft. long by 12 ft. wide by 20 ft. high, the bridge was . . . — Map (db m80528) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Cedarburg — Kaehlers MillEstablished 1847 — Town of Cedarburg Landmark
At the intersection of present day Covered Bridge and Kaehlers Mill Roads was the hamlet of Kaehlers Mill. A flouring mill was established in about 1847 by Charles F. Uhlig. After going bankrupt, Uhlig's mother sold the west half of the northwest . . . — Map (db m58534) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Cedarburg — 146 — Last Covered Bridge(Built 1876 – Retired 1962)
This bridge was built by the Town of Cedarburg on petition of neighboring farmers to replace periodically washed out bridges. Pine logs, cut and milled at Baraboo, were fitted and set in place in lattice truss construction with 3 X 10 inch planks . . . — Map (db m31237) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Cedarburg — Liberty Tree Memorial
The American Liberty elm was named after "The Liberty Tree": Our Country's first Symbol of Freedom. On the morning of August 14, 1765, the people of Boston awakened to discover two effigies suspended from an elm tree in protest of the hated Stamp . . . — Map (db m58878) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Cedarburg — 359 — Origin of Cedar Creek / Mills on the Creek(Double Sided Marker)
Origin of Cedar Creek Dropping approximately eighty feet in two and half miles, Cedar Creek’s falling water power provided enough energy to drive Cedarburg’s many mills for over one hundred years. The creek rises from big and Little Cedar . . . — Map (db m31240) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Cedarburg — The First 100 Years
From the beginning, energy played a vital role in Cedarburg's history. In the mid-1800s, the swift currents and natural falls of Cedar Creek attracted German immigrants who harnessed the energy to power their grain mills. The mills brought people . . . — Map (db m87078) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Cedarburg — The History of the Boerner Building
It was on this site in the 1840s that Christian Boerner opened a general store, selling primarily dry goods. Little could anyone imagine that this store would ultimately become a movie theater so significant to the life and tradition of the . . . — Map (db m88548) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Cedarburg — 358 — Washington Avenue Historic District / Historic District Architecture(Double sided marker)
Washington Avenue Historic District Even before Cedarburg incorporated in 1885, the community thrived with mills, shops, hotels, churches and residences, many of which remain in Cedarburg’s commercial center as part of the Washington Avenue . . . — Map (db m31239) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Fredonia — Veterans Memorial

In memory of those who served their country

Dedicated May 15, 1994 — Map (db m98373) WM

Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Grafton — Chair Factory History
The area around Falls Road and Twelfth Avenue was originally known as Milwaukee Falls. The location of the dam and millrace, which were removed in 2000, attracted several manufacturers through the years. A chair factory was built in 1848, the same . . . — Map (db m86915) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Grafton — Grafton Lime Kilns
Lime Kilns This park was once part of a limestone quarry operated by the Milwaukee Falls Lime Company, incorporated in 1890. Five vertical kilns were built for burning limestone from the quarry on the site to make quicklime. The kilns were . . . — Map (db m95172) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Grafton — Lime Kiln DamHistory
History of the Lime Kiln Dam Sources: Great Lakes Archaeological Research Center and Ozaukee County Staff The Milwaukee Falls Lime Company was established in 1892 with the opening of a limestone quarry in the Village of Grafton. The . . . — Map (db m95157) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Grafton — Lime Kiln Dam RemovalOzaukee Fish Passage Program
Fish Passage Program Between 2006-2013, the Ozaukee County Planning and Parks Department was awarded over $8.5 million in federal, state, local, and private funding to develop, refine, and implement a comprehensive "Ozaukee Fish Passage . . . — Map (db m95170)
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Grafton — Paramount Records LegacyElectrically Recorded 1917-1932
Welcome to Paramount Plaza, a monument that recognizes the tremendous musical legacy that was recorded and produced in the Village of Grafton between 1917 and 1932!

The Paramount recordings etched their way into American history at a time when . . . — Map (db m86767) HM

Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Grafton — 112 — The Blues Trail: Paramount Records
Side A: Many of the most important recordings in blues history were made at the studio of Paramount Records, located here on the grounds of the Wisconsin Chair Company factory. Between 1929 and 1932 Mississippi-born blues pioneers . . . — Map (db m86917) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Mequon — 1 — Baeseman Log Cabin
History of the Baeseman Log House

The Baeseman Log Cabin originally stood near the intersection of Highland Road and Wasaukee Road (about 1 mile west and 1 mile north of its present site). The exact date of the building is unknown . . . — Map (db m95656) HM

Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Mequon — 3 — Cemetery Outhouse
History of the Cemetery Outhouse

The Cemetery Outhouse is a typical building from the turn-of-the-century (i.e. 1900). Because of the more or less "public" use of this building it was partitioned into two sections. One entrance was for . . . — Map (db m95658) HM

Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Mequon — 5 — Gierach Smokehouse
History of the Smokehouse

The Smokehouse was originally constructed during the 1860's on the Gierach farm on the northeast corner of Bonniwell Road and Wasaukee Road.

It is constructed of logs with a chinking of clay and . . . — Map (db m95662) HM

Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Mequon — Isham Day HouseRotary Riverwalk - a joint project of the Mequon and Thiensville Rotary Clubs
In the late 1830’s a number of settlers moved to this area from the eastern states of the US. Known as “Yankees”, they were attracted by the government’s sale of land at $1.25 per acre. In 1835 land east of Range Line Road was put up for . . . — Map (db m74026) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Mequon — 13 — Klumb-Beuscher Bake Oven
The History of the Bake Oven

This working Bake Oven, constructed between 1840 and 1844, was originally located in Rockfield (about 5 miles northwest of Freistadt) on Rockfield Rd. It was used before the popular wood-fired kitchen stoves . . . — Map (db m95666) HM

Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Mequon — 8 — Mueller Machine Shed
History of Mueller Machin Shed

The Mueller Machine shed was built in the 1870's and is sided in sawn lumber. It was originally located on the farm of Werner Mueller, an early member of the Freistadt community. The farm was on Mequon . . . — Map (db m95665) HM

Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Mequon — 85 — Oldest Lutheran Church in Wisconsin
In early October 1839, approximately 20 families settled near this site to found the colony of Freistadt. Prompted by religious persecution in the homeland, the group sought and found religious haven in Wisconsin. The first log cabin was located . . . — Map (db m31267) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Mequon — 11 — Parsonage Barn
History of the Parsonage Barn

The Parsonage Barn was built in 1867, and is the only building at this historical grounds to remain at its original location.

Construction

This is an original 'fachwerk' barn. 'Fachwerk' is . . . — Map (db m95668) HM

Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Mequon — 2 — Radue Chicken Coop
The History of the Radue Chicken Coop

The Radue Chicken Coop was originally located on the August Radue farm (about 1 mi. east of its present location, north of Freistadt Road, on Farmdale Road).

This building was acquired by . . . — Map (db m95657) HM

Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Mequon — 12 — Teacherage Summer Kitchen
History of the Teacherage Summer Kitchen

The construction date of the summer kitchen is unknown, and is difficult to estimate. This summer kitchen was originally the entrance to the Buffalo Synod church that stood in the . . . — Map (db m95667) HM

Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Mequon — 7 — Trinity Horse Shed Reconstruction
History of Trinity Horse Sheds

Trinity-Freistadt Congregation had horse sheds located on three different sites. The first horse sheds were located north of the present school building. The second sheds were west of Granville Road, south . . . — Map (db m95664) HM

Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Mequon — 9 — Trinity School Woodshed
Trinity School Woodshed

This structure was built in 1881. It was first used as a woodshed for the original stone schoolhouses of Freistadt, on built in the 1850's and the other in 1873. One schoolhouse was used to educate younger . . . — Map (db m95669) HM

Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Mequon — 4 — Vogt Woodshed/Radue Gas Engine
Vogt Wood Shed

The Woodshed was located on the Karl Vogt property on the east side of Granville Road just north of the Lindenwood School. It was constructed between 1895 and 1900 and was moved to its present location in . . . — Map (db m95659) HM

Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Mequon — 331 — Wisconsin's German Settlers
The oldest German settlements in Wisconsin are found in the Town of Mequon. In 1839 a small group of German immigrants from Saxony settled near the Milwaukee River. They were followed that same year by about twenty immigrant families from Pomerania . . . — Map (db m31219) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Port Washington — 8 — A Lakefront in Transition
1835: Port Washington is founded. No natural harbor exists. Circa 1844: A private pier is built at the end of "Pier" Street. 1849: The first lighthouse and keeper's dwelling is built on the north bluff (St. Mary's Hill). 1860: New . . . — Map (db m88894) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Port Washington — In Loving Memory
On March 10, 2012 twenty four year old Peter Dougherty lost his life while kayaking off the shores of South Beach. Six months later on September 2, 2012, Tyler Buczek lost his life while swimming with friends off the shores of North Beach. This . . . — Map (db m88547) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Port Washington — Lake Michigan Habitat
Many migratory bird species are threatened by habitat destruction both at their wintering grounds in Central and South America and their breeding areas in the northern U.S. and Canada. In addition, these birds must pass twice yearly above a . . . — Map (db m88790) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Port Washington — 557 — Leland Stanford(1824-1893)
Tycoon, industrialist, and politician Leland Stanford moved to Port Washington, Wisconsin, from Albany, New York in 1848, shortly after entering the bar. After Port Washington's 1852 fire destroyed his law office, which was located in the block . . . — Map (db m79442) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Port Washington — 7 — Of Valor and Sorrow
The unwritten code of the lakes dictates that seamen come to the aid of anyone in peril. In this regard the fishermen of Port Washington time and again showed their mettle. At the time of the September equinox, 1895 a furious gale was . . . — Map (db m88885) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Port Washington — 546 — Port Washington Civil War Draft Riot
(Side One): During the Civil War, Wisconsin Governor Edward Salomon postponed the draft several times but finally gave authorization for several counties to hold lotteries. In Ozaukee County, Draft Commissioner William A. Pors set Monday, . . . — Map (db m62754) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Port Washington — 534 — Port Washington Fire Engine House
This fire engine house was built in 1929 on the site of an 1884 multi-purpose wooden fire house. Architect John Topzant of Milwaukee designed the Mediterranean Revival-style building with tan brick walls, a Spanish tile roof, and a campanile-like . . . — Map (db m47075) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Port Washington — Port Washington Light Station
This property has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Port Washington Light Station 1860 — Map (db m46949) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Port Washington — Port Washington State Bank Centennial Pavilion
The dream of Clarence Hill and George Henry was realized when on Sept. 11, 1899, they opened the doors of their new bank at 206 N. Franklin St. Hill came to the city from Manitowoc, where he helped organize the First National Bank in 1894, and where . . . — Map (db m88788) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Port Washington — Propeller from the S.S. Badger
This 13'8" propeller, weighing 7 tons, is from the S.S. BADGER, which was built by the Christy Corporation of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin and launched in 1952. The SPARTAN, a twin of the BADGER was built at the same time. The two carferries bear the . . . — Map (db m95174) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Port Washington — Schumacher Building
Built in 1931 by Matthias Schumacher Replaced Earlier Wood Building Monumental Works Est. 1878 Four Generations of Stone Cutters: Dominic, Jacob, Matthias, Thomas — Map (db m88917) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Port Washington — Sidewheel Steamer NiagaraHistoric Shipwreck — Wisconsin’s Maritime Trails
Type: sidewheel “palace steamer” Built: 1846, Bidwell & Banta, Buffalo, N.Y. Sank: Sept. 24, 1856, burned Length: 245’ Beam: 33’ Cargoes: passengers, package freight Propulsion: single-cylinder walking beam engine, . . . — Map (db m47079) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Port Washington — St. Mary's Church
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m46952) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Port Washington — 2 — The Art of Commercial FishingMethods Used Locally
Spears and Clubs The Indians used handmade spears and clubs, from shore or in primitive boats, to catch the many species of fish native to the shallow waters of Lake Michigan. The Seine The seine net was anchored at one end, to . . . — Map (db m88805) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Port Washington — The Old Ozaukee County Courthouse
The Old Ozaukee County Courthouse in Port Washington, Wisconsin is listed in the National Register of Historic Places December 12, 1976 The State Historical Society of Wisconsin in association with the U.S. Department of Interior — Map (db m73833) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Port Washington — The Wilson House
Erected 1891 Restoration 1983-1989 Owners R.J. Schowalter Frank M. Metz Architect Ehrlich, Genson and Assoc., Inc. Port Washington, Wisconsin — Map (db m60546) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Port Washington — 414 — The Wisconsin Chair Company Fire
One of the largest manufacturers of chairs in the United States, the Wisconsin Chair Company of Port Washington was founded by Fred A. Dennett and John M. Bostwick in 1888. After acquiring the important “MacLean Swing Rocker” patent in . . . — Map (db m31454) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Port Washington — 1 — They Had To Go A Fishin'
The lure of the lake is magnetic and hypnotizing to a true commercial fisherman. It draws him into its embrace from the time he is born to the day he is laid to rest. The lake mesmerizes him with its beauty, strength and sometimes terror. It . . . — Map (db m88895) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Port Washington — 4 — Those That Fished
The Indians who spent their summers where Sauk Creek and Lake Michigan meet were Port Washington's first fishermen. They used rocks or clubs to kill fish in shallow water. Later, spears were used. Then, crude hooks were fashioned out of bone. With . . . — Map (db m88898) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Port Washington — 5 — Those That Fished
Andrew Lodde was working on fish tugs by the time he was sixteen in 1888. He started with the Van Ells in Port Washington, then off of Jones Island and back to Port when the fish company relocated here. In 1913 Andrew formed a partnership with the . . . — Map (db m88899) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Port Washington — Wisconsin Street School Bell
This bell once graced the tower of Wisconsin Street School, which stood adjacent to the present fire station. School bells such as this were often used to sound the fire alarm. The school was an early Port Washington public school, as well as the . . . — Map (db m95176) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Saukville — 375 — The Saukville Trails
An important American Indian village once stood in this vicinity near the Milwaukee River, the meeting point of two major Indian trails that lead west toward the Mississippi River and north toward Green Bay. In the 1830’s, Menominee, Sauk, and . . . — Map (db m31241) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Thiensville — Bublitz Store1896
This building was constructed by Fred Linden, a local carpenter. It was operated by John Bublitz and his son Otto as a general store until it was sold in 1918 to another son Oscar. Much of the wood to build the village came from John’s saw mill from . . . — Map (db m50205) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Thiensville — Henry Kolwey Homesite1857
Henry Kolwey, an immigrant from the Duchy of Hanover (present day Germany), established a home on this site in 1857. According to the 1860 census, Kolwey, a master shoemaker, lived and worked here with his wife Anna, their four children, and four . . . — Map (db m50203) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Thiensville — 379 — Historic Thiensville
Although not incorporated until 1910, the Village of Thiensville became a settlement in 1842 when John Henry Thien constructed a grist mill. A German “Free Thinker,” Thien disavowed organized religion and banned churches here, attracting . . . — Map (db m31216) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Thiensville — John F. Gierach House1895
Built on the site of master brewer Charles Engels home. A blacksmith, Gierach was elected first Village President in 1910 and later operated a general store. The Thiensville phone company switchboard operated from the home's kitchen 1908 until 1942. — Map (db m89170) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Thiensville — Loppnow Drug Store
Lester Loppnow built this vernacular style building in 1947 to house his drug store. Over the years, several prominent businesses occupied this site. Present owner, Mikelle Wiken Flanner restored the building in 2012 and it is now known as . . . — Map (db m88919) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Thiensville — Louis and Pauline Staudy Residence
Louis Staudy built this Queen Anne style home for his family in 1907 adjacent to their meat market, smoke and ice house. Later remodeled, the building housed various other businesses and restaurants. Kristina and Phil Eckert now operate a paint your . . . — Map (db m74028) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Thiensville — Maas-Bublitz Residence
This Queen Anne style house stands on land originally purchased by John Weston from the U.S. Government in 1839. In 1898, August and Minna Maas built this 17 room home for their family. Otto Bublitz purchased the home in 1907, and it remained in the . . . — Map (db m89085) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Thiensville — Oscar Bublitz Store 1920
The building had a grocery store located on the main floor, with living quarters upstairs, a dumb waiter operated from the basement to the attic. Sold to the Detroye’s in 1955 it was converted to a hardware store. — Map (db m45355) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Thiensville — Reimer, Gerlach Residence
In 1897 Peter Reimer built this Queen Anne style home. It was purchased in 1907 by Reinholt Gerlach who advocated the incorporation of Thiensville as a village and served as one of the first trustees. In 1975 Dr. Gerald D. Abraham purchased the . . . — Map (db m74029) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Thiensville — The Commercial House
This Queen Anne style structure was built in 1890 as the Van Alten family residence. In the 1900's Nick Wilson converted the home into The Commercial House Saloon and Hotel. Over the Years it remained a tavern and restaurant. In 2014, Barkha and . . . — Map (db m89167) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Thiensville — Thiensville Hotel1855
The building was constructed by Ernst Van Alten as a hotel, tavern, and restaurant. Many of its patrons were customers of the Thiensville Mill. It was later purchased by Louis Kieker Sr. and known as the Kieker Tavern in the 1890s. — Map (db m89169) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Thiensville — Thiensville Mills
Original mill built for John Thien by Henry Hayssen in 1842, and a sawmill in 1843. The grist mill burned in 1874 and was rebuilt in 1876 to 4 stories. It was the largest mill in the area. The present building was built on the 1842 foundation. . . . — Map (db m50965) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Thiensville — Thiensville Recreation Parlor
Built by Paul Gruenwald in 1927, the Chicago commercial style building featured a bowling alley, pool parlor and a tavern. Of the many owners, the Fetzer family ran it for 37 years as Joe and Elaine’s. Remodeled in 2005 by new owners, Bob and Amy . . . — Map (db m50204) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Thiensville — Thiensville State Bank
This two-story art deco style bank building was designed by Albert Moorman and built in 1929 for the second location of the Thiensville State Bank. The building was built on the site of the former Henry J. Thien home. Now known as River Bank . . . — Map (db m50966) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Thiensville — Thiensville’s First Bank
Began operation Dec. 10, 1910 which was the same year the village was incorporated. Organized by John F. Nieman, Otto Bublitz, and D.M. Rosenheimer. It served the citizens well until 1929, when it was moved to 118 Green Bay Road. — Map (db m45356) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Thiensville — Thiensville’s First General Store
Built in 1860 by German immigrant William Zimmermann as his general store and residence. Soon became focal point of village community. Also served as post office and had one of the first telephones in the area. Aug. 2001 — Map (db m50964) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Thiensville — Village Hall & Fire House 1914
The fire engine co. was organized in 1857 with John Thien as its captain. Volunteers had horse and hand drawn units in 1914. In 1956 the dept. was moved to larger quarters. The building continued as a community center, office and jail until 1974. — Map (db m45357) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Waubeka — 115 — Birthplace of Flag Day
Here at Stony Hill School, Bernard J. Cigrand, 19 year old teacher and his students held the first recognized observance of “Flag Birth Day” on June 14, 1885, with a flag ten inches high, carrying 38 stars, standing in a bottle on the . . . — Map (db m30688) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Waubeka — 62 — Robert Cooley Homestead
Built in 1851, this is the birthplace of Robert Lawrence Cooley, who founded the Milwaukee Vocational School in 1912, the first of its kind in the country, and was its director until 1940. Cooley was born here in 1869 and died here in 1944. — Map (db m53242) HM

79 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement