On March 28, 1885 one of Wisconsin's first incorporated creameries was organized as the Luck Creamery Company. The "Organization Artikler" were published in Danish in the Polk County Press on November 18, 1885, and printed in English about a month . . . — — Map (db m14576) HM
On February 13, 1887, the Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church in America established its first seminary on this site with Pastor Thorvald Helveg as President, assisted by Pastor Jens Pederson and a layman, J.P. Petersen. In 1888 Pastor P.S. Vig . . . — — Map (db m68703) HM
On May 14, 1884, William Kent and 12 companions stopped on their journey from St. Croix Falls to explore a creek that rippled through the glen and emptied into the St. Croix River. A beautiful 25-foot waterfall burst upon their vision and they . . . — — Map (db m17546) HM
From 1867 to 1878 master brewer Veit Geiger operated the Geiger Brewery at this location. The artesian springs assured an abundant source of pure water, and the nearby caves provided a constant 50-degree storage cellar. The brewery, was just one of . . . — — Map (db m17699) HM
First settled by William Kent in 1844 when he came looking for lumber for ship masts. Built a lumber mill powered by Osceola Creek. Other industries followed along with a flour mill in 1852. First called Leroy in honor of Leroy Hubbard the first . . . — — Map (db m17551) HM
This depot was built in 1916 replacing a smaller wooden structure that was destroyed when two engines collided in front of it. Constructed of red, wire cut brick with white sandstone trim, the depot was very modern for its time, boasting both a . . . — — Map (db m17591) HM
For thousands of years, this limestone bluff has been an area landmark. Chippewa Indians camped here along the "ginseng trail" that stretched from Balsam Lake in Polk County to New Richmond in St. Croix County. Overlooking the St. Croix National . . . — — Map (db m17667) HM
By 1845, the first sawmill was erected in Osceola. It stood two stories high and was capable of cutting 10,000 board feet every 24 hours. Approximately 35 million board feet were cut during its existence. It was located on Osceola Creek near the . . . — — Map (db m17554) HM
Gaylord Anton Nelson (1916–2005), known worldwide as the founder of Earth Day, was the son of a country doctor and a nurse. Born the third of four children on June 4, 1916, at Clear Lake, Wisconsin, 28 miles from here, Nelson canoed the . . . — — Map (db m14796) HM
On September 20, 1900, through the dedicated efforts of local citizens, the State of Wisconsin acquired land here along the Dalles of the St. Croix River, officially establishing Interstate Park as Wisconsin's oldest state park. The year 2000 marks . . . — — Map (db m28687) HM
The city of St. Croix Falls commissioned local sculptor, Julie Ann Stage, to create a monument in bronze which would embody the poetry and natural beauty of the St. Croix River Valley.
River Spirit, unveiled on July 29th of 2007, is a focal . . . — — Map (db m18115) HM
Lions Park marks the site of an historic battle between the Chippewa Indians and their traditional enemies, the Fox and Sioux. Circa 1770, the two war parties met on the portage area below in a fierce fight that raged among the crags and crevices of . . . — — Map (db m18113) HM
Here at the head of St. Croix Falls in about 1770, a war party of Chippewas led by Chief Wau-bo-jeeg prepared for battle against their traditional enemies, the Fox and Sioux.
The two parties met on the portage below this point in a fierce and . . . — — Map (db m14421) HM
This millstone is the last remnant of the flour mill that operated on the river bank a half-mile to the south. Power was provided by the stream that now tumbles down a rocky slope on the north boundary of the Wisconsin Interstate Park.
Pieces . . . — — Map (db m18171) HM
The Falls of the St. Croix River, a series of turbulent cascades that dropped 55 feet in less than six miles, were impounded in the early 1900s by this hydroelectric dam. The potential manufacturing power of the falls drew developers who settled . . . — — Map (db m14223) HM
A series of rapids once cascaded 55 feet over six miles down this section of river. Canoes had to be portaged and boats could not travel upriver. The largest "falls" tumbled 20 feet over 100 yards. They provided a natural source of power for . . . — — Map (db m78664) HM
In 1878 the Legislature set aside 50,000 acres of “Public Trust Fund Lands” as a “State Park.” These were scattered timbered lands located in Lincoln, Iron, Vilas and Oneida Counties. Because no effort was made to develop . . . — — Map (db m74352) HM