Among those contributing to the nation’s westward expansion in the nineteenth century and to Wisconsin’s early development were members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons). In 1835, Moses Smith helped establish Burlington . . . — — Map (db m103980) HM
Skunk Grove was a stopping place for travelers in an uncharted wilderness on the mail route between Green Bay and Chicago. It was located about 200 yards southeast of this marker, where the trail crossed the stream now known as Hood’s Creek.
By . . . — — Map (db m34219) HM
In 1850, Czech immigrants from Bohemia and Moravia, now regions in the Czech Republic, established a rural settlement between Five Mile and Seven Mile Roads in Caledonia Township. This early settlement known as “Ceska Betlemska” or . . . — — Map (db m34224) HM
The deck capstan (or windlass) was used on 19th Century schooners to raise the anchor or sails, and to load & unload cargo. By the 1880's, some schooners were equipped with a steam-powered donkey engine to speed the work. — — Map (db m69199) HM
Cream Brick Cottages Racine’s rapid and diversified industrial growth after the Civil War attracted a large working population to the city. Desiring their own homes, many workers built modest cottages of similar design in wood or brick. A high . . . — — Map (db m34263) HM
The City of Racine purchased the site in 1869 for $1,000, but deferred the actual construction of a new building for over a decade. After several unsuccessful bids for an engine house, Alderman Lucius Blake convinced the . . . — — Map (db m69162) HM
1880: Two wooden buildings
1900: Replaced with brick structure
Browne 1st Class Auto Compressed Air
Siren driven by Hornsby-Akroyd engine
Two Copper Trumpets (still in place
Crosby Automatic Time . . . — — Map (db m69211) HM
Flammable liquids were stored here, away from the Keeper's House which has wood burning stoves. Lamp oil was carried from here to the tower top in five gallon cans. Note the vents on the front and rear walls to carry away flammable fumes. Oil . . . — — Map (db m69198) HM
Jerome Increase Case
Inventor, developer and manufacturer of mechanized threshing machines and steam traction engines; business leader, mayor of Racine, state senator; president of Racine County Agricultural Society, founder of . . . — — Map (db m69185) HM
On March 10, 1854, the largest crowd that had ever assembled here met to protest the capture of Joshua Glover, a fugitive slave who had lived and worked in Racine for two years. A committee of 100 then took a boat to . . . — — Map (db m69183) HM
Mound Cemetery derives its name from the fourteen prehistoric Indian mounds found here.
On February 3, 1851 this land was purchased by Norman Clark and James Kinzie of the village of Racine, from Joseph Ouilmett the Indian of Wausau, . . . — — Map (db m68645) HM
East of the oil house are the remains of a T-shaped pier which jutted into the lake. The "Hyacinth", a Coast Guard tender, would dock there periodically to bring supplies, kerosene, the "library book box" and a welcome visit from . . . — — Map (db m69212) HM
In 1929, the Racine Common Council began the process of creating a new City Hall. The council received two design proposals: one from local architect J. Mandor Matson and another from a Chicago firm. The mayor and aldermen . . . — — Map (db m69164) HM
Erected in 1904 with a Carnegie grant and the efforts of dedicated local people, this Bedford stone structure was Racine’s first specifically designed library building. The architect was John Mauran of St. Louis and the builder was A.H. Harcus of . . . — — Map (db m47727) HM
This block of land was known as Market Square when Racine was laid out as a village in 1837. This area was covered with shade trees, was the location of the town pump, and was used by the early settlers as a place to by and sell produce.
The . . . — — Map (db m69195) HM
In the mid-1800s, fugitive slaves traveled to Racine, hid in local sanctuaries, and embarked on the maritime connection of the Underground Railroad. Ships of abolition-friendly Great Lakes captains took them to Canadian ports and their freedom. The . . . — — Map (db m134929) HM
Three American Revolution patriots rest in this cemetery. A fourth soldier is also recognized here.
Elisha Raymond was born in 1761. In 1776, at age 15, he enlisted in the Rhode Island Militia and completed seven tours of duty. In 1835, he . . . — — Map (db m34298) HM
Southside Historic District Extending west from Lake Michigan to Park Avenue and south from Eighth Street to DeKoven Avenue, Racine’s Southside Historic District contains one of Wisconsin’s highest concentrations of grand historic houses. . . . — — Map (db m34265) HM
The Blake House
Italian Villa in style, this cream brick house was built in 1868 for George and Roxilana Bull. Lucius and Caroline Blake purchased the house in 1873 and it remained in the family until 1926.
Most . . . — — Map (db m47801) HM
Racine's Harbor has gone through many transformations since the city's first settlers arrived. In 1836 the Root River entered the lake near the center of today's Gaslight Pointe. While the river channel was as much as 15 feet deep, the entrance . . . — — Map (db m69181) HM
In 1873 the Rev. Dr. J.W. Carhart of Racine designed and operated the first light self-propelled highway vehicle in the United States, and probably the first in the world. He named it the Spark. It was driven by a two cylinder steam engine, steered . . . — — Map (db m34220) HM
The City of Racine dedicates this
flagpole to the veterans of our
community who have served with
honor in the Armed Forces of the
United States of America
Veterans Day - November 11, 2000 — — Map (db m69160) HM
This one-room Italianate style schoolhouse has been the center of this Yorkville community since the building’s construction in 1885. Built at a time when one-room schoolhouses dominated rural education in Wisconsin, the building also served as a . . . — — Map (db m108555) HM
Patriot Helmont Kellogg was born on March 17, 1762 in New Hartford, Connecticut.
Helmont served four different hitches in the Connecticut Militia during the Revolution; as a drummer in 1777 in Colonel Adam's Regiment; for . . . — — Map (db m54068) HM
Resting in this cemetery is a Militia veteran who fought in the American Revolutionary War of 1776-1783. In the last years of his life, he moved to Wisconsin and helped found what is now known as the Union Grove Congregational Church. He served as . . . — — Map (db m54069) HM
Under the leadership of John Luraas, forty pioneers came to Muskego Lake from Norway in 1839, to found one of the most important settlements in Norwegian-American history. After temporary set-backs, the settlement flourished here through the . . . — — Map (db m34221) HM
To assist navigation around the point into Racine harbor, the Wind Point Lighthouse began functioning in 1880 with a kerosene lamp, focused and magnified by a third order Fresnel lens. Its light could be seen for 19 miles.
At 108 feet, it is . . . — — Map (db m34267) HM