Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Richland County Wisconsin Historical Markers

 
Boaz Mastodon Marker image, Touch for more information
By Keith L, May 5, 2009
Boaz Mastodon Marker
Wisconsin (Richland County), Boaz — 326 — Boaz Mastodon
On U.S. 14 0.7 miles east of County Highway Z, on the left when traveling east.
In 1897, after a severe rainstorm in Richland County, farm boys Chris, Harry, Clyde and Verne Dosch found large bones sticking out of an eroded bank on a tributary of Mill Creek near Boaz. The bones were later identified as those of the extinct . . . — Map (db m18859) HM
Wisconsin (Richland County), Boaz — 402 — Ocooch Mountains
On County Highway E (State Highway 171) north of Park Drive, on the left when traveling north.
During the Black Hawk War of 1832, Black Hawk's band and the pursuing military ventured into this unknown terrain of steep ridges and valleys. Following nearby Mill Creek, some of the band headed over these rugged hills known as the Ocooch . . . — Map (db m43534) HM
Wisconsin (Richland County), Boaz — 315 — Richard M. Brewer
On County Highway E (State Highway 171) north of Park Drive, on the left when traveling north.
One of the most colorful incidents in the violent history of the American West during the late 1800s, the Lincoln County War in New Mexico involved a Boaz man named Richard M. Brewer. Born February 19, 1850, "Dick" Brewer came to Richland County . . . — Map (db m43541) HM
Wisconsin (Richland County), Boaz — 153 — Rural Electrification
On U.S. 14 0.7 miles east of County Highway Z.
This farm was the first in Wisconsin to obtain central station electric power from a rural electric cooperative. The farm home was constructed and wired for electric service by James Hanold in 1917. The Richland Cooperative Electric Association, . . . — Map (db m18887) HM
Wisconsin (Richland County), Gotham — 400 — The Pursuit West
On U.S. 14 0.1 miles east of Yeager Lane, on the left when traveling east.
During the Black Hawk War of 1832, Black Hawk and his band fled down the Wisconsin River after the July 21st Battle of Wisconsin Heights. Two miles west of here, where the Pine River flows into the Wisconsin, the band left the Wisconsin River and . . . — Map (db m18997) HM
Wisconsin (Richland County), Hub City — St. Patrick'sMelancthon Creek
Near State Highway 80 0.4 miles north of County Highway CC, on the right when traveling north.
In 1858 the land for St. Patrick's Church and Cemetery was donated to the congregation by Charles and Catherine Shields. The first church was erected in 1867. In 1904 an addition was added to accommodate a growing congregation. In 1924 the old . . . — Map (db m42000) HM
Wisconsin (Richland County), Richland Center — 363 — Ada James1876 – 1952
On West 6th Street (U.S. 14) at North Orange Street (U.S. 14) on West 6th Street.
Born in Richland Center, Ada James was an important suffrage leader, campaigning throughout Wisconsin in support of women’s right to vote. In 1919, James mobilized her father, a state legislator, to deliver Wisconsin’s ratification papers to . . . — Map (db m18779) HM
Wisconsin (Richland County), Richland Center — 261 — Birthplace of GTE
On West 6th Street (U.S. 14) at North Orange Street (U.S. 14) on West 6th Street.
General Telephone & Electronics Corporation, among the world’s largest businesses and a leader in telecommunications, is headquartered in Stamford, Connecticut but was born in Richland Center. Officially founded in 1918 when John F. O’Connell . . . — Map (db m18777) HM
Wisconsin (Richland County), Richland Center — Krouskop Park
On West 6th Street (U.S. 14) at North Orange Street (U.S. 14) on West 6th Street.
This park was dedicated by A · H · Krouskop · Oct·8·1925 · to the public for its pleasure and recreation ~ Born July 13 · 1840 at Bellefontaine · Ohio ·· Moved to Richland County · 1851 · where he lived until his death · Apr · 2 1930 ·· A . . . — Map (db m18786) HM
Wisconsin (Richland County), Richland Center — Wisconsin Purple Heart Memorial HighwayDedicated on November 11th, 2001
Near West 6th Street (U.S. 14) at Bancroft Drive, on the right when traveling west.
This plaque marks the starting point of the Wisconsin Purple Heart Memorial Highway. In 1994 Wisconsin's Governor Tommy G. Thompson signed into Law Wisconsin Act 347, which designated U.S. Highway 14 west from Richland Center to the Wisconsin . . . — Map (db m25148) HM
Wisconsin (Richland County), Rockbridge — Pier Park
Near State Highway 80 north of County Highway D, on the left when traveling north.
The dedication of this property for park purposes is the fulfillment of William Francis Pier's desire to preserve the beauty of this natural rock bridge as a lasting memorial to his father William Henry Pier Erected by The State . . . — Map (db m18750) HM
Wisconsin (Richland County), Rockbridge — 381 — Rockbridge
Near State Highway 80 north of County Highway D, on the left when traveling north.
One of the largest natural bridges in Wisconsin, Rockbridge is 20 feet wide and 10 feet high. Archaeological investigations have revealed that the bridge's sandstone overhang was once used as a shelter by Native Americans. Through the efforts of . . . — Map (db m18744) HM
Wisconsin (Richland County), Rockbridge — The Little Rock
On County Highway D 0.1 miles west of State Highway 80, on the right when traveling west.
Early explorers of the driftless area noted this "small, isolated vertical rock." The first settlers removed the easily available rubble for building foundations and chimneys. Soon horses and buggies cut between the rocks and established the . . . — Map (db m20269) HM
Wisconsin (Richland County), Rockbridge — 401 — Troop Encampment
Near State Highway 80 north of County Highway D, on the left when traveling north.
According to local tradition, on the night of July 29, 1832, during the Black Hawk War, General Atkinson’s troops camped at this location. The next day, the troops proceeded up the West Branch of the Pine River, only to abandon their supply wagon in . . . — Map (db m18742) HM
Wisconsin (Richland County), Sextonville — Bear Valley Cemetery and Brown Church
On Brown Church Drive at Wisconsin Highway 130, on the right when traveling west on Brown Church Drive.
This land was purchased from Benjamin Winterburn in three parcels; the first in 1863 for plat 1 of the cemetery. This was divided into 45 lots which were sold at $5.00 each. Land for the church site was purchased and the church was built in . . . — Map (db m66803) HM

15 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.