Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Shawano County Wisconsin Historical Markers

 
Stagecoach Travel Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bob (peach) Weber, October 15, 2012
Stagecoach Travel Marker
Wisconsin (Shawano County), Angelica — Stagecoach Travel
An early American method of public transportation prior to the railroad was the stagecoach. This sign commemorates the various routes that served Shawano and other localities. The most notable route was from Shawano to Green Bay with an overnight . . . — Map (db m60451) HM
Wisconsin (Shawano County), Bowler — Mohican Veteran's Memorial
A Memorial Before The Great Spirit To All Veterans Who Served - Who Fought - Who Died - Who Returned And Carry On Dedicated by the Mohican Veterans 2002 — Map (db m66593) WM
Wisconsin (Shawano County), Gresham — The Gresham Depot Museum
The depot was opened in 1907. The railroad was known as the Wisconsin Northern or by its nickname, "The Whiskey Northern". In 1921, the railway was sold to the Soo Line Railroad. A mix of freight and passenger trains ran daily. At that time, . . . — Map (db m66556) HM
Wisconsin (Shawano County), Navarino — Navarino Area Veterans Memorial
. . . — Map (db m77997) WM
Wisconsin (Shawano County), Navarino — Sgt Avery Wilber Memorial Bridge
The Highway 156 bridge spanning the Shioc River in the Town of Navarino in Shawano County has been designated as a Memorial in honor and in recognition of Sgt Avery Wilber a World War II POW and survivor of the Arisan . . . — Map (db m77994) WM
Wisconsin (Shawano County), Shawano — 47 — Shawano
Shawano is both a Chippewa and a Menominee Indian term signifying "to the South." Shawano Lake first was given this name because it was the southern boundary of Chippewa tribal territory. The city and county later were named after the lake. Like . . . — Map (db m8201) HM
Wisconsin (Shawano County), Wittenberg — Bethany Indian Mission & School
The Norwegian Lutheran Synod dedicated an Indian mission and boarding school on this site in 1887, the same year Congress passed the Dawes Severaty and General Allotment Act. The school boarded as many as 159 children at a time from the Indian . . . — Map (db m29131) HM
Wisconsin (Shawano County), Wittenberg — 194 — The Homme Homes
Deep concern for the needs of people in the wilderness brought The Rev. E. J. Homme from Winchester, Wisconsin, to this location in 1879 where he could accomplish his dream of social services to orphans, the aged and Indians in an atmosphere of . . . — Map (db m30942) HM

8 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement