On County Highway C 0.2 miles north of Cherry Drive, on the left when traveling north.
An early American method of public transportation prior to the railroad was the stagecoach. This sign commemorates the various routes that served Shawano and other localities. The most notable route was from Shawano to Green Bay with an overnight . . . — — Map (db m60451) HM
On North Main Street (County Highway G) north of West River Street / Zoglman Lane, on the left when traveling north.
The depot was opened in 1907. The railroad was known as the Wisconsin Northern or by its nickname, "The Whiskey Northern". In 1921, the railway was sold to the Soo Line Railroad.
A mix of freight and passenger trains ran daily. At that time, . . . — — Map (db m66556) HM
On State Highway 156 west of Pine Street, on the left when traveling west.
The Highway 156 bridge spanning the
Shioc River in the Town of Navarino
in Shawano County has been designated
as a Memorial in honor and in recognition
of Sgt Avery Wilber a World War II POW and
survivor of the Arisan . . . — — Map (db m77994) WM
On South Shore Drive (State Highway 22) 0.3 miles east of Cedar Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
Shawano is both a Chippewa and a Menominee Indian term signifying "to the South." Shawano Lake first was given this name because it was the southern boundary of Chippewa tribal territory. The city and county later were named after the lake. Like . . . — — Map (db m8201) HM
On West Grand Avenue (County Highway Q) 0.1 miles west of South Webb Street, on the right when traveling west. Reported missing.
The Norwegian Lutheran Synod dedicated an Indian mission and boarding school on this site in 1887, the same year Congress passed the Dawes Severaty and General Allotment Act. The school boarded as many as 159 children at a time from the Indian . . . — — Map (db m29131) HM
On Hemlock Road 0.5 miles east of U.S. 45, on the left when traveling east.
Deep concern for the needs of people in the wilderness brought The Rev. E. J. Homme from Winchester, Wisconsin, to this location in 1879 where he could accomplish his dream of social services to orphans, the aged and Indians in an atmosphere of . . . — — Map (db m30942) HM