The names of many places and families in this vicinity reflect the origin of its early settlers. Most of the settlers of Cedar Grove and Oostburg were from the province of Zeeland, although some have lived for a time in New York before catching the . . . — — Map (db m41735) HM
In 1847 Reverend Pieter Zonne led a group of Netherlanders, originally from the Gelderland Province, to this area where a few other Dutch immigrant families had recently settled. Enticed by Zonne's energetic advertisements that "there is plenty of . . . — — Map (db m41737) HM
Countless lives were changed forever on October 11, 2002, when a blanket of fog descended rapidly upon motorists on Interstate Highway I-43 near Cedar Grove, Wisconsin. The dense fog created a sudden and dramatic change in driving conditions that . . . — — Map (db m41736) HM
Four races were held on the 1950 circuit. First place in the sixty-mile main event went to Jim Kimberly driving a Ferrari Tipo 166.
Marker donated by: Augie Pabst in honor of Briggs Cunningham and Alfred Momo.
Historic Race . . . — — Map (db m46187) HM
John Fitch drove Cunninghams to victory in the 1951 and 1952 200-mile main events. Phil Hill won the 1952 100-mile Sheldon Cup race driving a C-type Jaguar.
Marker donated by: Jaguar North America in honor of Phil Hill and John Fitch.
. . . — — Map (db m40817) HM
Named for Steven H. Briggs who in 1950 exited the course to the left at high speed in his Jaguar XK-120 and was saved from serious injury by his windscreen.
Marker donated by: Mike Froh, Susie White, John Langenfeld, Lynn . . . — — Map (db m40853) HM
Named for Robert "Sid" Dickens who raced in an MG-TC. Ted Boynton lost concentration here in 1952 resulting in an excursion into a blueberry patch.
Marker donated by: Tom and Bea Hollfelder · Tiger Racing.
Historic . . . — — Map (db m41110) HM
The Village of Elkhart Lake and the roads surrounding Elkhart Lake hosted open-road sports car racing in 1950, 1951 and 1952. The races were sponsored by the Sports Car Club of America, organized by SCCA members Jim Kimberly, . . . — — Map (db m32444) HM
Named for Corwith "Corky" and Joan Hamill who raced a Mercury Allard. Joan took second place in the 1950 ladies race.
Marker donated by: Guy, Clyde and David Morter in honor of AEF Vets who brought us road racing.
Historic Race . . . — — Map (db m40943) HM
Named for sports car and racing enthusiast James S. Kimberly who more than any other person was responsible for bringing open road racing to Elkhart Lake.
Marker donated by: Steve Knauf.
Historic Race Circuits of Elkhart Lake listed . . . — — Map (db m46300) HM
Named for D. Cameron Peck president of the Chicago Region SCCA in 1950. A well-known collector of antique cars, he judged the concours events.
Marker donated by: John Lamm in loving memory of Dorothy and Paul Lamm.
. . . — — Map (db m40955) HM
The first high-speed straightaway on the 1951-52 circuit, named for its proximity to the former Joliet School in use until 1958.
Marker donated by: Chapple Family Trust and Mark F. Pfaller II.
Historic Race Circuits of Elkhart Lake . . . — — Map (db m40832) HM
Named for Charles "Ted" Boynton who won the 1950 over 1500cc novice race driving an MG-TC and raced a Frazer-Nash LeMans Replica in 1951-52.
Marker donated by: Elkhart Lake Improvement Association · Established 1964.
. . . — — Map (db m41084) HM
The Mission: Promote the Increased Use and Appreciation of the Unique Beauty of the Broughton Sheboygan Marsh Through Education and RecreationThe Marsh
The Broughton Sheboygan Marsh Park and Wildlife Area is the prominent . . . — — Map (db m46360) HM
The first sharp corner on the 1951-52 circuit where the road sloped away from the apex making it one of the most dangerous and challenging turns.
Marker donated by: Siebkens Resort in memory of Ollie Siebken Moeller
Historic Race . . . — — Map (db m46258) HM
In the era before disk brakes, this corner was one of the most difficult on the 1950 circuit, due to its location at the end of a long downhill straight.
Marker donated by: Tom and Sharon Malloy and Tom Malloy Collection.
Historic . . . — — Map (db m40835) HM
This walkway rests on the bed of lower Lake Street over which sports cars raced in 1951 and 1952. It remains officially a Village Street.
Marker donated by: The Osthoff Resort.
Historic Race Circuits of Elkhart Lake listed on the . . . — — Map (db m46347) HM
The only turn used in all three road - racing years. Named for its proximity to the Sheboygan County Marsh.
Marker donated by: Jim Dentici and Carl Raclin in honor of automobile racing in God's Country.
Historic Race Circuits of . . . — — Map (db m46186) HM
Named for Fred G. Wacker Jr. who drove Jim Kimberly's Healey Silverstone to a second place finish in the 1950 sixty mile main event.
Marker donated by: Elkhart Lake's Road America Inc.
Historic Race Circuits of Elkhart Lake listed . . . — — Map (db m40848) HM
The Wade House, one of the earliest stage coach inns in Wisconsin, is the major unit in this historic restoration carried out by The Kohler Foundation of Kohler, Wisconsin. Built by Sylvanus Wade between 1847 and 1851 at the total cost of $300, this . . . — — Map (db m31782) HM
The Dutch settlement of Oostburg, founded in the 1840s and named for a town in the Netherlands, was once located two miles to the southeast. In 1873, to attract the railroad to this location, local businessman Peter Daane constructed and donated a . . . — — Map (db m41734) HM
To mark the Indian trail which later became the plank road between Sheboygan and Fond du Lac.
Near this spot was built the first white man's home in the Town of Plymouth, 1845, and near here the town's first white child was born.
. . . — — Map (db m31834) HM
Plymouth has been the hub of Wisconsin's dairy and cheese industry since the city was founded. The premiere dairy cow, the Holstein, represented here, was imported from Holland in 1870. In 1882, the National Cheese Exchange was established at . . . — — Map (db m41971) HM
In 1875 this was a thriving village with a post office, sawmill, grist mill, general store, village hall, cooper, blacksmith and woodworking shops, a cheese factory and a dozen houses.
James and Lucinda Stone of Winooski, Vermont were the . . . — — Map (db m31831) HM
Carl Nowack, an immigrant and Civil War veteran, built a traditional German half-timber farmhouse near the south shore of Random Lake in 1865. The Village of Random Lake grew up around this first residence. In 1998, the Random Lake Historical . . . — — Map (db m42503) HM
In 1860 Theodore Rietz, at age 30, left Saxony, Germany for the United States. Soon thereafter he helped found the Went & Pfile Distillery Company in Milwaukee. By 1862 he relocated to Silver Creek and started his own whiskey distilling operation. . . . — — Map (db m117263) HM
When the first settlers arrived in the Sheboygan area early in the 1830s, they were awed by the seemingly endless verdant pine forests and stands of hardwood that covered the county. With lake transportation the very lifeblood of the early . . . — — Map (db m47481) HM
On November 21, 1847 the propeller steamer Phoenix burned, with the loss of 190 to 250 lives, seven miles north of the Sheboygan Harbor. At the time of her loss the Phoenix carried close to 300 passengers and crewmen. Most of the . . . — — Map (db m41888) HM
The history of the Lifesaving Service dates back to 1789, when Congress authorized the formation of a Revenue Cutter Service and a Lighthouse Service. During its early years the Revenue Cutter Service (which was not primarily a lifesaving unit) was . . . — — Map (db m47545) HM
The exposed shelf of rock at North Point is a rarely occurring geologic formation along the Lake Michigan shoreline. In this location, also known as Sheboygan Point or the Sheboygan Reef, the uppermost layer of bedrock protrudes through the . . . — — Map (db m32683) HM
Fourteen-year-old David Waldo joined the Revolution in 1779. Waldo was born on September 21, 1764, in Dover, New York. He served under Colonel Sherwood at Fort Edward (north of Albany, New York) for three months and completed his first tour . . . — — Map (db m32403) HM
Type: Wooden schooner, two-masted
Built: 1833, Augustus Jones, Black River, Ohio
Sank: July 5, 1851
Length: 95 Beam: 21
Cargo: Furs, provisions, passengers, grain, lumber
Depth of Wreckage: 210
About 17 miles northeast of here . . . — — Map (db m77279) HM
Near this site the Lindemann Brothers Circus gave its first performance in 1918. Well established by 1925, the Lindemanns adopted the name Seils-Sterling and their circus became one of the country's greatest motorized shows. In 1937 its 29-week . . . — — Map (db m109262) HM
Within these fifteen acres of ancient woodland and winding stream lie 18 rare Indian burial mounds, dated about 500-750 A.D. Their prehistoric builders, ancestors of the Wisconsin Woodland Indians, are called the Effigy Mound People because . . . — — Map (db m32363) HM
On November 21, 1847, one of the most tragic shipwrecks in Great Lakes' history occurred five miles off Lake Michigan's shore within sight of this location. The steamship Phoenix carrying over 225 passengers, including 175 Dutch . . . — — Map (db m32231) HM
In the year 1880, when the City of Sheboygan was a struggling village of 2,000 and the country was recovering from the Civil War, people of great vision were establishing businesses that would impact the region for generations. One of those people . . . — — Map (db m41907) HM
The Wolf-Olson VFW Post took its name to commemorate two Sheboygan veterans, Lt. August Wolf (WWI) and Lt. Herman Olson (Spanish-American War). Upon its creation on August 2, 1924, membership was comprised of veterans . . . — — Map (db m32055) HM
The Cole Historic District, bounded by Water, Monroe, Adams and Michigan streets, is one of the few remaining historic districts in the state to display the early development of a Wisconsin community from the 1830s and 1840s. The district's two . . . — — Map (db m32238) HM
In 1835, upon finding these falls and their fine water power, Massachusetts pioneer and entrepreneur Silas Stedman decided to purchase the surrounding land for village and industrial development. The following year, Stedman platted the "Town . . . — — Map (db m32261) HM
In 1837 Silas Stedman had this structure built as a boarding house for his sawmill workers. It became known as the Mill House, and later the Temperance House, when it served as a hotel. By 1860, the structure was enlarged by Charles Cole for use as . . . — — Map (db m32576) HM
In memory of their fellow citizens who lost their lives to save their country in the War of the Great Rebellion. This monument was erected by the inhabitants
of the Town of Rhine.
1st . . . — — Map (db m69130) WM
In April 1867 the citizens of this township approved funds to erect this monument to their Civil War dead. It was dedicated July 4, 1868. 115 men from the Town of Rhine volunteered to serve their country in this great war. 23 never returned. Their . . . — — Map (db m68717) HM