Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Waukesha County Wisconsin Historical Markers

 
Haseltine Cobblestone House Marker image, Touch for more information
By Paul F, November 9, 2010
Haseltine Cobblestone House Marker
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Big Bend — 01-01 — Haseltine Cobblestone House1842
Colonel Orien Haseltine, of Andover, Vermont, came to Vernon/Big Bend in 1836, following his two eldest sons, Orien Jr. and Curtis who came in 1836, first settlers claiming 400 acres. Vernon was named by Haseltine in honor of George Washington’s . . . — Map (db m43585) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Big Bend — 31-02 — Maney Ridge Prehistoric Effigy Mounds
On the ridge above this road and the Fox River lies a series of prehistoric earthworks. They represent visible remnants of both social and ritual behavior of one of Wisconsin’s unique prehistoric cultures, the Effigy Mound Indians. The conical . . . — Map (db m43587) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Big Bend — 01-02 — Village of Big Bend
In 1837, in anticipation of the “Great Wisconsin Land Sale” of 1839, Aaron and Elvira Putnam settled near a “Big Bend” in the Fox River. Potawatomi Indians camped on the river, but there were no white settlers at what was . . . — Map (db m43586) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Brookfield — 02-02 — Caroline Quiner "Ma" Ingalls Birthplace
Caroline Quiner, mother of Laura Ingalls Wilder author of the “Little House” series of books, was born in a cabin here, December 12, 1839. Caroline was the earliest known settler born in the Town of Brookfield. Her parents, Henry N. . . . — Map (db m43578) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Brookfield — 02-03 — City of Brookfield
First Settler was George Putney in November 1836. First log schoolhouse was built in 1839 near the present intersection of North Avenue and Brookfield Road. First organized church was the present St. Dominic’s 1843 the first Catholic Church in . . . — Map (db m43579) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Brookfield — 02-04 — Dousman-Dunkel Behling Inn
This building, once a stagecoach inn on the Watertown Plank Road, was built in the 1840’s. The probable builder was Michael Dousman (1771-1854), a fur trader and entrepreneur from Mackinac, Michigan. It was operated as an inn from 1857-1872 by . . . — Map (db m43580) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Brookfield — 02-05 — Oak Hill CemeteryBrookfield
Burial place of Yankee, English and German settlers. Part of Pioneer Joseph Ewbank land grant. Noted grave: Nathan Hatch, Revolutionary War soldier who came west with sons, Hiram and Edmund, in 1840’s. Remains possibly moved from earlier family . . . — Map (db m43582) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Brookfield — 02-06 — Pioneer Cemeteryof Brookfield
Burial place of Yankee and English settlers. It was first called Dixon or East Side Cemetery. This was also the site of the first Dixon school house, which was burned and relocated south of North Avenue in the 1860’s. This land was deeded . . . — Map (db m43581) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Brookfield — Revolutionary War Veteran
Buried here is PVT. NATHAN HATCH, patriot who fought four tours of duty in the Continental Army 1776-1781 Born 16 Nov. 1757 at Attleboro, MA, he first enlisted July 1776 in Capt. Isaac Hodges Co. as Pvt. He was discharged Nov. 1780. He moved to . . . — Map (db m33027) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Brookfield — 02-07 — The William Donaldson House — Visitors Center
This log house was built in 1852-53 by William Donaldson, a young farmer, and his aunt, Barbara Donaldson. The house originally stood at 2350 N. Barker Road in Brookfield. It consisted of three rooms and a loft. Two adjoining bedrooms and a kitchen, . . . — Map (db m43583) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Butler — 03-01 — George L. Clarke House
Built circa 1850 by Simeon Barnes, the Greek Revival Farmhouse was purchased by the Clarke family in 1870. Originally located on 124th Street, it was moved to its present location in Waukesha County after the Wauwatosa farm was sold to construct the . . . — Map (db m43611) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Delafield — 05-01 — Cushing Memorial Park
Cushing Park, dedicated to Civil War heroes William, Alonzo, and Howard Cushing, was Waukesha County’s first state park. The 50 foot Barre’ granite monument stands on part of the original Cushing homestead. The park was a gathering place for the . . . — Map (db m43596) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Delafield — 391 — Delafield Fish Hatchery
Constructed in 1907, the impressive Delafield Fish Hatchery stands as a reminder of Wisconsin's dependence upon its plentiful fishing waters. In the early 20th century, Wisconsin's growing concern over lake and stream fish depletion led to a state . . . — Map (db m31796) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Delafield — 05-02 — Hawks Inn
Built in 1846 of hand-hewn timbers and hand-made nails. Builder & owner was Nelson Paige Hawks (1799-1863), a cultured Yankee, who was Delafield’s first Postmaster, a Justice of the Peace, Town Chairman, owner of a grist & saw mill, & builder of . . . — Map (db m43597) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Delafield — 328 — Lapham Peak
In 1870, on top of Lapham Peak, then known as Government Hill, the United State Army signal Corps established one of its original National Weather Service signal stations. Weather data was received here from Pikes Peak, Colorado, and relayed to the . . . — Map (db m32097) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Delafield — 05-03 — Lapham Peak
Known until 1916 as Government Hill because it was used for government surveying purposes, Lapham Peak is the highest point in Waukesha County at 1233 ft. It was purchased by the state in 1905 as part of the farms acquired for the Statesan . . . — Map (db m32098) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Delafield — 160 — Nashotah Mission
Inspired by Bishop Jackson Kemper, James Lloyd Breck and his companions founded Nashotah Mission as a center for the Episcopal Church’s work in Wisconsin Territory. Preparation of candidates for the priesthood quickly became a major task, to meet . . . — Map (db m32526) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Delafield — 497 — Northwestern Military and Naval Academy
Educational reformer Harlan Page Davidson founded Northwestern Military Academy in Highland Park, Illinois in 1888. For years many of the cadets came from northern Illinois, but enrollment broadened when the academy moved to the shores of Lake . . . — Map (db m31474) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Delafield — 244 — St. John's Military Academy
St. John’s, the oldest Military Academy in Wisconsin, was founded as a boy’s prep school in 1844 when Sidney T. Smythe, a student at Nashotah House, reopened an abandoned Delafield schoolhouse for St. John’s first students. Dr. Smythe graduated from . . . — Map (db m31473) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Dousman — 06-01 — Dousman
Shortly after the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad built its line through in 1881, the village of Dousman came into existance (sic). The building of the early railroads meant prosperity and, as they found out across the state, skilled . . . — Map (db m80524) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Dousman — 52 — Masonic Home
In the fall of 1836 Elisha Edgerton and his wife Belinda came here in their wagon drawn by oxen. They cleared the land and built their farm home, with buildings recognized as a Wisconsin Premium Farm by the State Agricultural Society. Episcopal . . . — Map (db m36719) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Eagle — 07-01 — Eagle
A huge bald eagle “hovering and curving over a large mound” east of here, inspired prospectors to name the area Eagle in 1836. Village of Eagle was platted at the coming of the Milwaukee and Mississippi Railroad (1851) by Kline, Pitman, . . . — Map (db m43301) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Eagle — 07-02 — Palestine School
Although education in one room schoolhouses was a part of pioneer living, it continued in rural areas even to modern times. Palestine School, the last one room school district (grades 1-8) in Wisconsin, operated until June 1970. The schools . . . — Map (db m53013) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Eagle — 70 — The Cobblestone
Built in 1848 by Ahira Rockwell Hinkley first settler in Eagle Township, who came here in 1836. This house is one of the best examples of cobblestone work in Wisconsin. To insure uniformity in size, the stones were dropped through a hole in a board. . . . — Map (db m46667) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Genesee — 27-01 — Saylesville(South Genesee)
Named for Stephen Sayles and his four sons (Asa, Donerson, Whitman and Mortimer) and daughter Juliana, who settled here in 1839. First settler was Alexander Rankin in 1837. Others were Scotsman Alexander McFarlane 1840, woodworker and farmer; . . . — Map (db m49727) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Genesee Depot — 09-01 — Genesee Depot
Settled predominently by English, Irish & Welsh, Genesee Depot became a thriving settlement when Milwaukee & Mississippi railroad laid tracks through area in early 1850s. Settler John Magee was instrumental in bringing rail service which had . . . — Map (db m43074) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Lannon — 12-01 — Lannon Lists itself as “Amateur Baseball Capital of Waukesha County”
Baseball has always been a very important part of the Village of Lannon. With the coming of the Land O’Lakes (LOL) Leagues in 1922, Lannon came to the front as the Capital of Amateur baseball in Waukesha County. The Lannon LOL teams have won . . . — Map (db m43602) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Lannon — 255 — Lannon Stone
Commercial quarrying of Waukesha County’s high grade limestone -- actually dolomite -- was well under way by the 1850’s and became an important industry. By the early 1890’s some 14 quarries were producing stone for paving and curbing, building, . . . — Map (db m48592) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Lannon — 12-02 — Pioneer St. James Catholic Churchof Menomonee Falls
Congregation began in Irish settlement between old Lannon Springs and Templeton about 1841. First mass was said in James Brogan’s log cabin. Original church built of local stone and dedicated, 1848, by parishioners and Fr. James Colton, first . . . — Map (db m43603) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Lisbon — Hon. Thomas Weaver Home
Thomas Weaver, born Oct. 1, 1822, Sussex, England. Sailed to New York, 1830 with parents, James & Elizabeth. Came to Lisbon 1837. Tom married Betty Craven April 7, 1847, had 10 children. Home built 1860's. Called “Flowery Lawn Home.” Tom . . . — Map (db m70017) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Lisbon — 13-03 — Lisbon Plank School
First school in Lisbon-Sussex was built possibly as early as 1839 no later than 1841, by George Elliot, using stone from James Weaver’s nearby quarry (presently Halquist’s). Earliest school commissioners David Bonham, Sherman Botsford, & R. Blount . . . — Map (db m43610) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Menomonee Falls — Barn
Built soon after 1850, the barn is one of the two original buildings remaining on the farm site. Time-honored pioneer craftsmanship can be seen in the framework of the building. The construction timbers were hewed and fitted by old-world hand-tools. . . . — Map (db m76223) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Menomonee Falls — Brogan Cabin
The first concern for the early frontier people who settled in Menomonee Falls was shelter and a structure for their freedom of worship. This house was built in 1842 by Irish immigrants and is a rare example of the primitive but sturdy dwellings . . . — Map (db m76225) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Menomonee Falls — Koch House
Built in 1873, the house is rather primitive in style despite the fact that the logs were not hand hewn but rather produced in a local sawmill. A few years after its construction an addition was attached to the building, and the entire structure was . . . — Map (db m76226) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Menomonee Falls — Miller-Davidson House
Built in 1858 in the Greek Revival style popular at the time, the house is built of locally quarried limestone with mortar lime coming from the lime kilns. The Miller-Davidson House, original to the site, is special in many ways beginning with the . . . — Map (db m76227) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Menomonee Falls — Milwaukee Road Depot
Built in 1890, the same year that the railroad came to Menomonee Falls, the Depot brought with it new commercial and industrial prosperity. The Depot handled four passenger and freight trains daily, shipping local products such as stone, lime, ice, . . . — Map (db m76228) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Menomonee Falls — School House
This one-room school house was built in 1851 at a reported cost of $55.00. All eight grades were taught by one teacher. Inside, a wood burning stove provided needed warmth while water was pumped from an outdoor well. Initials and names from bygone . . . — Map (db m76229) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Menomonee Falls — 15-01 — Sub-Continental Divide
The eastern portion of Waukesha County has a major sub-continental divide as shown by the line in the map. Water falling west of this crest of land goes into the Fox River watershed and eventually into the Gulf of Mexico via the Mississippi River. . . . — Map (db m43601) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Menomonee Falls — Umhoefer House
This two-story log cabin was built by newlyweds Gregory and Anna Marie Umhoefer in 1856. Together they raised eight sons and daughters on this tiny home. A hand print in the stairwell plaster is that of Anna’s brother returning from the Civil War. . . . — Map (db m76230) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Merton — 16-01 — Beaumont Hop House
Growing of hops for commercial beer making purposes was important in Waukesha County agriculture during the 1860’s and for several decades thereafter. They were introduced here from New York by James Weaver of Sussex in 1837. The Beaumont hop . . . — Map (db m76446) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Merton — 16-02 — First Baptist Church Of Merton
Founded August 31, 1843 with nine members. This edifice was erected in 1855. Its historic architecture is Greek Revival with Colonial features. It is a selection of the well known Historical American Buildings Survey. The bell hung in 1886 . . . — Map (db m43496) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Merton — 16-02 — First Baptist Church Of Merton
This is the former site of the First Baptist Church of Merton founded August 31, 1843 with nine members. This edifice, erected in 1855, is of historic architecture of Greek Revival with Colonial features. It is a selection of the well-known . . . — Map (db m82730) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Merton — 16-03 — Martin C. Weber, Sr.Founder Land O' Lakes Leagues
The Land O' Lakes baseball leagues were founded in 1922 by Martin C. Weber of Merton, Wis. It started with 8 teams in baseball. It became Wisconsin's oldest and largest amateur baseball league. In early 1950, the organization grew to 108 teams . . . — Map (db m43497) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Merton — 16-04 — Village of Merton
Early Potawatomi Indians had a camp trail on ridge south of Bark River, which became part of Military Trail. Wm. O'Dell, about 1840, built first settler cabin near Bark. In 1848 the Township was called "Warren". Local people wanted a Post Office, . . . — Map (db m47488) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Monches — Carl Schurz Forest
Here the Ice Age Trail enters the forest honoring Carl Schurz. With John Muir, Increase Lapham, and Aldo Leopold, he belongs to the quartet of Great Wisconsin Conservationists memorialized by natural monuments left by the Wisconsin Glacier in . . . — Map (db m35519) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Monches — 17-01 — Monches
Settled predominately by Irish Catholics in the 1840’s, it originally was called O’Connellsville after Irish emancipator, Daniel O’Connell. In 1848, a meeting was held to nominate the first postmaster. Three men, Swiss miller Henry Kuntz, & . . . — Map (db m44559) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Mukwonago — 18-01 — Heaven City
This land was a favorite place for the Native Americans. The first white settler/owner Gaius Munger noted for maple syrup production. Other owners; Abraham Perkins-sheep raiser, Wisconsin Central R.R. promoter; Philip Best-Milw. brewer and stock . . . — Map (db m43592) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Mukwonago — 18-02 — MukwonagoThe Place of the Bear
In days long ago, near and around this village the dwellings of the eastern-born Yankees sprang from the homes of the Native Americans. In 1836, for 2 barrels of flour the first settlers received permission from the Potowatomi to build and dwell . . . — Map (db m43593) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Muskego — "Do I Smell Pizza-Burgers?"
This property was originally platted to Anson Taylor by President Martin Van Buren in 1840, then subsequently sold to William Pratt in 1854, this being platted as part of Plattsburg in 1856. In 1866 this property was sold to John Schuet who . . . — Map (db m102114) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Muskego — Historic Muskego Centre Park
You are standing at the site of Muskego's original "main street." Its junction with the Janesville Plank Road resulted in this area being identified as Muskego Centre on 1873 maps. Beginning as an Indian trail, leading up to the shores of Little . . . — Map (db m101973) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Muskego — Janesville Plank Road Tollgate
This is the location of an original tollgate located at the Muskego Centre on the Janesville Plank Road; one of 16 privately owned toll roads authorized by the Wisconsin Territorial legislature in 1848. It was to follow a sixty-five mile route . . . — Map (db m101975) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Muskego — 19-01 — Luther Parker Cemetery
Dedicated to Muskego’s most illustrious pioneer and first European settler, Luther Parker, who brought his wife Alletta and five children to Muskego by horse and wagon in 1836. Luther Parker was one of several responsible for secession of Waukesha . . . — Map (db m43612) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Muskego — 19-02 — Muskego(mus-kee-guac, Sunfish)
Muskego was a long-time home to Potowatomie people. Luther Parker, first white settler and past-president of “Indian Stream Republic”, New Hampshire, the only independent country in U.S. borders, came in 1836. Once included New Berlin, . . . — Map (db m43613) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Muskego — 19-03 — Muskego Beach Amusement Park
Muskego Beach was once the highest class of amusement park. Rides like Bubble Bounce, Screwball, dodgem’, Tail Spin, Wild Mouse, Walking Charlie, and other attractions filled the air with excitement and thrills. During its peak, a quarter million . . . — Map (db m43614) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Muskego — Old Muskego Town Hall
Muskego’s only town hall was built in 1921 for community purposes. From 1842, town meetings and elections were in homes, school houses and saloons. Here also, were farm and Legion meetings, “socials”, Sunday school, library, . . . — Map (db m70016) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Muskego — Park Arthur
This city park is named in honor of Arthur Henry Thiesenhusen (1898-1990) by his wife Myrtle. He farmed this land until his retirement in 1966. Arthur was the son of William Johann and Henricka "Ricka' (Garbe) Thiesenhusen - both early immigrants to . . . — Map (db m102112) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Muskego — St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran (Kirche) Church
In 1857, twelve German families started a Protestant Mission church. They brought their Christian faith and German language from the old country to what is now Muskego. Their services were conducted in German and held once a month in a rented, one . . . — Map (db m102113) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Muskego — The Devil's Teapot
In 1904, the coming of the interurban electric railway (TREM&L) made railroad travel possible between downtown Milwaukee and East Troy, WI. At this very location, a railroad trestle was constructed to bridge a two-acre pond/waterhole in a pasture on . . . — Map (db m102116) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Muskego — 19-04 — The Electric Interurban Muskego Centre Station
Starting on Sept. 1, 1904 an electric interurban line operated by TMER&L (The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Light Co.) ran along this Muskego Recreation Trail. The line split at St. Martin’s Junction, with one running to Burlington and the other, the . . . — Map (db m102009) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Nashotah — 20-01 — Bishop Jackson Kemper Home Built 1849
Bishop Kemper lived on these premises 1846-1870. Missionary Bishop of American Episcopal Church 1835-59. Inspired founding of the Nashotah House in 1842. Bishop of Wisconsin 1854-70. Facing countless Frontier hardships, he traveled far and wide . . . — Map (db m43595) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), New Berlin — 21-03 — "Cornfalfa" Farms
The William Schwartz Farm was established on May 15, 1844 on this location. It covered 527 acres from Coffee Road to Beeheim and from the Western boundary of the current City of New Berlin to Swartz Road. The farm passed to Peter M. Swartz. In 1882 . . . — Map (db m34576) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), New Berlin — 21-01 — Calhoun
The arrival of the first trains through Calhoun on the Chicago and Northwestern railroad occurred in 1881. Milk, grain, sugar, beets, cattle, farm produce and hops went out on the trains, and brewers grains saloonkeepers, supplies, farms, machinery . . . — Map (db m80530) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), New Berlin — 21-02 — Cheney-Faulkner Cooper HomeBuilt 1840
In this house the First Free Will Baptist Church in Wis. was organized on July 11, 1840. Here also, prior to 1843, was opened the first school in this area. Rev. Rufus Cheney directed the founding of both church and school. Both met here until 1945. . . . — Map (db m34512) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), New Berlin — 21-05 — Childhood Home of Wisconsin Governor Julius P. Heil (1876-1949)
Julius P. Heil lived in this house as a boy, going to Mill Valley School and working at Winton's Store on Prospect hill. He gathered field stone for the core of this house. A poor German immigrant, Heil went on to found the Heil Company, a . . . — Map (db m43299) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), New Berlin — 21-04 — Freewill Baptist ChurchRestored
Wisconsin’s first Freewill Baptist congregation, organized by Yankee pioneers Rev. Rufus Cheney July 11, 1840, Built this Greek revival style edifice, 1859. As Abolitionists, they were active here in the Civil War. But the dwindling congregation . . . — Map (db m34577) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), New Berlin — 21-01 — Hamlet of Calhoun
The hamlet of Calhoun was established 1872 when Thomas & Mary Calhoun, Irish immigrants, purchased land in the area. Calhoun Road has always been the dividing line between the urban east side and the rural west side of New Berlin. Other early . . . — Map (db m33971) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), New Berlin — 21-06 — Linnie Lac
Formerly called Hale’s Mill Pond Near this site, 1836-’37, Waukesha County’s first dam and sawmill were built by Hugh Wedge and Isaac DeWitt. In 1840 Wedge sold out to William P. Hale, who was joined by his brother, Hiram E. Hale in 1846. Hiram . . . — Map (db m34317) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), New Berlin — 21-07 — New Berlin Hills Golf Course
Founded on 1905 as the Woodmont Country Club, owners Oscar Greenwald, Dr. Patek, and Joseph Landaur purchased its original 40 acres in 1907 forming a nine-hole course and a members-only club. Membership declined and the course was sold January 5, . . . — Map (db m33974) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Oconomowoc — 24-01 — Oconomowoc(Coo-no-mo-wauk meant Falling Waters)
First settler, Charles B. Sheldon, arrived April 21, 1837. The Oconomowoc River flowed down through a tamarack swamp into Lac LaBelle, a dam built across it in 1837 formed Fowler's Lake. Here the town. Oconomowoc was named in 1846; made a . . . — Map (db m42552) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Oconomowoc — 24-02 — Oconomowoc Masonic Center
Built by Mississippi riverboat Captain John Scudder in 1895 as a summer residence it was locally known as “Scudder’s cottage.” Every room had a fireplace. Distinguished guests were Samuel Langhorne Clemens (Mark Twain), songwriter Alfred . . . — Map (db m42553) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Oconomowoc — 24-03 — The Inn at Pine Terrace
This nineteen room Victorian mansion was the showplace of Oconomowoc when it was built by Peter and Henry Schuttler in 1879 at cost of $30,000. The Schuttlers were successful Chicago wagon manufacturers known not only for their serviceable farm and . . . — Map (db m42554) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Okauchee — 483 — Historic Okauchee
Okauchee, believed to have been derived from the Potawatomi term “gachi” meaning “something small,” was settled in 1839 by Orson Reed. His mill was the first building constructed in the new community and provided lumber for . . . — Map (db m32095) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Pewaukee — 26-01 — Clark House Museum
Asa Mosley Clark, son of Pewaukee’s first settler, built this house in 1844 to provide food and shelter for travelers & their horses. Located along the Watertown Plank Rd. the inn was a favorite stopping place for people traveling between Milwaukee . . . — Map (db m44560) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Pewaukee — 26-02 — Pewaukee VillageIncorporated 1876 — PE-WAUK-EE-WEE-NING, "meaning Lake of Shells"
Site of Potowatomi village. Vermonter Asa Clark arrived in 1836 and acquired most of the land around the northeast shore of the lake. He built a dam in 1839, also a sawmill and grist mill. The population increased as Yankee settlers arrived. Early . . . — Map (db m44561) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Pewaukee — 26-03 — Waukesha Beach Amusement Park
On the 67 acres N & W of this marker was the former site of Waukesha Beach Amusement Park, which officially opened on June 25, 1895 with a swimming beach on Pewaukee Lake. It included the Palm Gardens ballroom, a hotel, 3 roller coasters, a fun . . . — Map (db m80531) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Stone Bank — 28-01 — Stone Bank
Indian trails crossed heavily forested land when the first speculator, John Rockwell, came to what is now called Stone Bank in 1839. He purchased land from the government for $1.25 per acre. John Johnson arrived in 1840. John Weigand, J. Weichert, . . . — Map (db m44345) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Sussex — First Woman in Town of Lisbon
Melinda Ann (Warren) Weaver, B. Feb. 25, 1813 in New York State, married an English immigrant, John Weaver, in 1833. In the fall of 1836, with Melinda 7 months pregnant & leading two children the Weaver family took an Erie Canal boat to Buffalo, & a . . . — Map (db m32873) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Sussex — Mammoth Spring Hotel - Saloon
The Mammoth Spring Hotel had its Grand Opening Feb. 9th, 1888. It was two years after the opening of Mammoth Spring by Milwaukee business interests. The builder & proprietor was Fred A. Hummel, with the hotel furnishing “Rooms & . . . — Map (db m43169) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Sussex — Sixteen School1844-1944
Lisbon School No. 5 opened 1844 on Rd. “16.” Named “16” School. Originally was west of present Hillside Rd. (“16” RD.) 1860s saw new construction of one room cream brick school. Original commissioner Harrison . . . — Map (db m90005) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Sussex — 30-01 — St. Alban’s Episcopal Church
Named for English martyr and saint. The parish was organized in 1842. The first church, 1844, stood at the southwest corner of God’s Acre. The first grave was there opened in that year. The edifice was dedicated by Bishop Jackson Kemper in 1866. The . . . — Map (db m43605) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Sussex — 30-02 — Sussex
Named for County Sussex, England, home of prominent pioneers. First settlers were George Elliot and Richard Cooling in 1843. First church, St. Alban’s Episcopal, was founded in 1842 in Weaver’s barn; its present edifice was erected in 1864-’66 . . . — Map (db m43604) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Sussex — Sussex Mills and Bug Line RR
Bug Line Railroad (Milwaukee, Menomonee Falls & Western Railroad) built in 1890; extended to Merton, North Lake after 1891. Bug Line was discontinued in 1978. On this site: Sussex Elevator 1890-1917 (Wm. & John Small); Sussex Cooperative . . . — Map (db m43171) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Sussex — 13-02 — Zion Evangelical Cemetery
This cemetery has multi names, most recent being “Redeemer United Church of Christ Cemetery” Other names included “Zion Cemetery” “German Cemetery” “The German Zion Evangelical Church Cemetery” & . . . — Map (db m43606) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Town of Lisbon — 13-01 — Halquist Quarry
Halquist Quarry was started by John Halquist 1929. He reopened an abandoned water filled quarry north of here. Original owner was Sussex-Lisbon pioneer James Weaver. Stone was quarried as early as 1839-'41. 1860's saw John Ready open big . . . — Map (db m43609) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Town of Lisbon — 13-04 — Plainview School No. 4
Lisbon District #4 School was organized February 1, 1844. In March, 1847, a log school building was built east of this property at a cost of $300, including a fence around it. This new one-room cream brick structure was completed in November of . . . — Map (db m43608) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Town of Lisbon — 13-05 — Town of Lisbon
The Town of Lisbon was once part of Wayne County (Detroit), then Brown County (Green Bay), Milwaukee County and finally Waukesha County in 1846. The first male settler was Thomas S. Redford (1818-1903). He claimed 160 acres May 15, 1836. Melinda . . . — Map (db m43607) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Town of Vernon — 31-01 — Dodges Corners Cemetery
John Dodge, one of Vernon’s four founding fathers, settled on this land in the fall of 1836. He purchased the land from the Federal government Sept. 20, 1838. Dodge made his home here until his death Aug. 29, 1858. The cemetery was established as a . . . — Map (db m43588) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Town of Vernon — 31-04 — Town of Vernon
Prior to settlement the Town of Vernon was composed of sugar maple & white oak forests, savanna & marsh from which the Potawatomi derived food, medicine, shelter, tools & fibers. On Nov. 1, 1836 Prucius Putnam, John Dodge & brothers Curtis & . . . — Map (db m43590) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Vernon — 31-03 — The Reformed Presbyterian Church of Vernon
. . . — Map (db m43584) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waterville — 33-01 — Waterville
This crossroad was the center of the Waterville of long ago. It rose, it flourished, and then declined, the victim of a railroad which bypassed it in 1881. The stone structure which stood at this site was built as a general store in 1876. It was . . . — Map (db m43599) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 02-01 — Aitken Brothers Birth Place
Birthplace site of Aitken Brothers Hollywood and New York motion picture pioneers (1905-1920). Grandsons of Waukesha County Scottish Pioneer John Aitken, Harry E. (1878-1956) and Roy E. (1882-1976) produced the greatest of all silent pictures, . . . — Map (db m43577) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 34-08 — American Legion HomeLain-Estberg Home
Built in 1848 by Isaac Lain, industrialist and civic leader. Next owner, 1904-1944, was Edward R. Estberg, banker and mayor. Home of American Legion since 1944. It is the County's finest example from the last century of the famous Greek Revival . . . — Map (db m42740) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 185 — Carroll College
Carroll College, chartered by the Territorial Legislature in January 31, 1846, is Wisconsin’s oldest college. Named for Charles Carroll, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, it advanced the work of Prairieville Academy, founded in 1841 in . . . — Map (db m34579) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 34-01 — Club 400
Opened in August 1894, the Northwestern Hotel provided year-round services to travelers and train crews. The building became a boarding house, cigar store, soft drink shop and then a tavern. On January 6, 1948, George and Ralph Polfuss (Les . . . — Map (db m43438) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 34-02 — Cohn's Shoe Store
The Almont Building is located 1/2 block south of this marker on the NW corner of Main & Clinton Streets. It was built in 1857 by Charles Robinson and Martin Brown to house their harness business. During the Civil War, the top floor was used for . . . — Map (db m42020) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 34-03 — Courthouse Square
This site has been used for County purposes since Waukesha county was created (1846). Site of first courthouse (built 1846-1849), jail (1847) & office building (1860). New limestone Richardsonian Romanesque courthouse built on same site (1893). New . . . — Map (db m36842) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 34-06 — Dunbar Oak
Beneath an oak around August, 1868, Col. Richard Dunbar reclined after drinking freely from a nearby spring. He felt that continued use of its waters healed him of incurable diabetes. He called the spring “Bethesda” signifying mercy. He . . . — Map (db m43174) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 34-07 — Hobo Spring
This spring, so named because it was used by the transients who came off the nearby Soo Line railroad, is one of the few original reminders of Waukesha’s 19th century springs and resort era. A century ago, Waukesha was known as “Spring . . . — Map (db m107683) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 34-18 — Les Paul
Lester William Polfuss was born in Waukesha, WI on June 9, 1915, and lived in the 300 block of W. St. Paul Ave. He was a world-class innovative guitarist and inventor who perfected the first solid body electric guitar, multi-track recording, . . . — Map (db m62817) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 34-09 — Lindholm Vocational & Adult School
Starting in 1916, Waukesha Vocational school offered classes in the basement of Waukesha H.S. and rented houses. In 1930, the school moved to this location. From 1938 to 1965, a gym/auditorium, class rooms, computer labs and a library were added. . . . — Map (db m42021) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 34-10 — Lyman Goodnow
Erected to the memory of 1799 - Lyman Goodnow - 1884 First conductor of Wisconsin's underground railroad In 1842 he conveyed Caroline Quarrels, an escaped slave, to Canada and freedom. — Map (db m44584) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 34-12 — Milwaukee and Madison Railway Depot
The Depot was built in 1881 and acquired by Chicago Northwestern Railway in 1882. The local limestone and cream-colored brick building is in the Victorian gothic style. Commercial travelers, tourists visiting Springs Era resorts & spas, home . . . — Map (db m42018) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 34-11 — Moor Mud Baths Hotel
John Weber purchased this property with its black “moor” earth and a spring in 1899. The hotel, patterned after European spas, and the springhouse opened in 1911. Spring water and warm mud baths, promoted as therapeutic, were available . . . — Map (db m36847) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 34-21 — New Tribes Bible Institute(Resthaven)
Prior to any white settlers moving into this area, this large hill was the site of an Indian Village. The first building was a residence and nursery in the 1850s, later known as Hickory Grove Villa. After years of delay, Resthaven, a palatial . . . — Map (db m60206) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 34-04 — Old Cutler Home
This house was once the home of Waukesha’s first white settler, Morris Derrick Cutler who came here in 1834 at the age of 24.

He built it in 1845 on his homestead tract which is now Cutler Park. It there faced north near the Civil War monument . . . — Map (db m43172) HM

Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 34-05 — Prehistoric Indian Mound
This and the two adjacent mounds were built for burials probably by the prehistoric Woodland Indians. They perhaps, began entering Wisconsin about 2000 BC and lived here until modern times. The Potawatomi who left Waukesha in 1886 were never . . . — Map (db m43495) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 34-20 — Rotunda
Built in 1913 as the first federally owned Post Office in Waukesha, it is one of the best remaining examples of Classic Revival Architecture in Waukesha. The structure was built on a historic triangle previously occupied by the First Methodist . . . — Map (db m60205) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 34-14 — Silurian Spring
Silurian Spring is a natural flowing spring situated on an elevation 50’ above the Fox River. David Jackson, the first postmaster of Waukesha (then Prairieville), built his log cabin west of the present day spring and used the water. David . . . — Map (db m47232) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 34-19 — The Waukesha Freeman
The first issue of the Waukesha Freeman was published on March 29, 1859. The paper was founded by Martin Cullaton to provide a voice for the Abolitionist movement. H.M. Youmans became owner, publisher and editor in 1874, continuing in those . . . — Map (db m42765) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 34-15 — Waukesha City - Cutler ParkWaukesha City - Cutler Park
Morris D. Cutler, born June 13, 1810, was the first white settler in the Waukesha area. On May 7, 1834, he founded what is now the City of Waukesha, with his two claim-shanties and called it Prairie Village. Prior to this time, the Potawatomi had a . . . — Map (db m80510) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 34-13 — Waukesha Civic Theatre (WCT)
Formed in 1957 as a community theatre, the Waukesha Civic Theatre performed at Waukesha High School until 1964 when it purchased a former church at 506 North Washington Avenue. In 1999 it moved to this location; made possible through many generous . . . — Map (db m41534) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 34-16 — Waukesha Engine Division
The “Motor Works” pioneered the use of engines to power tractors, cars, trucks, & boats. Later Waukesha Motor Company introduced industrial engines to power compressors, pumps, construction machinery, oilfield drilling, & other . . . — Map (db m43576) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 34-17 — Weber Brewery
In 1857, Henry Meyer opened a brewery on this spot. In 1862, the bankrupt brewery was sold to Stephen Weber. The new brewery remained part of the Weber family until 1958. During that time it was known as “West Hill Brewery,” . . . — Map (db m42019) HM

113 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement