1st Sergeant Elmer J. Burr was fatally wounded December 24, 1942 on the island of New Guinea. Burr covered an enemy grenade with his body to save his commanding officer and others. He died December 25 Christmas Day 1942. — — Map (db m39258) HM
In 1730 the French Government decided to destroy the Fox village on the shore of this lake because of the depredations of the Foxes on the fur traders. Capt. Morand came up the river with a large force of French soldiers and Menominee warriors. The . . . — — Map (db m57704) HM
Curtis Reed, often referred to as the Father of Menasha, arrived from Vermont in June 1848, with dreams of harnessing the water power. He created the first building, built the first dam, and was instrumental in having the village chosen as the site . . . — — Map (db m82657) HM WM
Prehistoric Indian Mound Replica
The last Indian mound of its kind in this area was located near this spot and known locally as the Hill of the Dead (Little Butte des Morts). This large mound, about sixty feet long, thirty feet wide, and . . . — — Map (db m71214) HM
Smith Park marks the northern limit of a large group of Native American burial mounds that once extended across the southeast shore of Doty Island. Three Effigy mounds are preserved here. The mounds were built between AD 700 and . . . — — Map (db m34399) HM
Size: 144’ x 35’
Construction: Concrete walls and steel gates
Built 1852. Rehabilitated 1937. Rebuilt 1978-1979.
Filling Time: About 4 min. Emptying Time: About 4 min.
Since its completion in 1856, the Fox River navigation . . . — — Map (db m77281) HM
First Sergeant Elmer J. Burr
The Isle of Valor is dedicated to the Menasha residents who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and “gave the last full measure of devotion.” Only two communities have had multiple residents . . . — — Map (db m96458) HM WM
God gave us sons
we gave them to our country
and our country gave them back to God
This building is erected by the
citizens of Menasha in sacred memory
of those from our city who gave their
lives in the service of our country.
. . . — — Map (db m39680) HM
Specialist Fourth Class Kenneth Stumpf on April 25, 1967 in Vietnam's Quang Ngai Province made three trips under enemy machinegun fire to carry, on his back, three wounded members of his squad to safety. He also was instrumental in destroying enemy . . . — — Map (db m41771) HM
Wisconsin Central Railroad was formally organized in the National Hotel on this site by Judge George Reed and his associates, Feb. 4, 1871. Here the contracts were let for its construction and the first general office was located. The road secured a . . . — — Map (db m22444) HM
Near here is the "lost cemetery" of Saint Malachy Catholic Church (1849-1857), a mission church of log construction that served the local Irish community and Catholic Indians. Irish immigrants had come to Menasha to build dams, locks, and canals on . . . — — Map (db m20681) HM
[Daughters of American Revolution seal]
This tablet marks the log cabin known as the Grand Loggery, built by Governor Doty, 2nd Territorial Governor of Wisconsin in 1847. It originally stood facing east on the west bank of the . . . — — Map (db m37727) HM
Begun by flour millers to capture the trade of local wheat farmers, this central shopping district was established near the mills at the heart of the city. Built by the emerging merchant class during the paper industry's heyday, many of the . . . — — Map (db m57706) HM
On June 21, 1929, a deed was recorded in the Register of Deeds office in Oshkosh. This simple two-page document concluded a battle of sorts, and helped create and preserve this beautiful park and the lovely Lakeshore Drive which gently winds its way . . . — — Map (db m82675) HM
One hundred and fifty feet north of this site stood The Old Council Tree known for years by the Indians of the Fox River Valley as such and under whose spreading branches the Indians and Whites held council.
The tree was cut down July 31, . . . — — Map (db m34218) HM
Located along one of Wisconsin's first transportation and communication routes, the community of Omro developed quickly on the Fox River. French fur trader and blacksmith Charles Omreau had a trading post here and give his name to the future city. . . . — — Map (db m11149) HM
Within these walls, sheltered with pride and honor, are our Veterans who have lost their lives. Some lost their lives in service to our Country on or off the battlefield. Others fulfilled their service and returned home to live out their lives.
. . . — — Map (db m36218) HM
This house was once the home of Coles Bashford who served from 1856 to 1858 as the first Republican Governor of Wisconsin.
It was built in 1855, a year after the Republican Party came into being as an avowed opponent to the further extension of . . . — — Map (db m72194) HM
Oshkosh lumberman, banker and financier Edgar P. Sawyer hired noted local architect William Waters to design this Tudor Revival style house in 1907. Constructed of brick and limestone with parapeted gables and fluted chimneys, the house featured . . . — — Map (db m20885) HM
On this site stood the house that was once the Elizabeth Batchelder Davis Children’s Home. The Greek Revival-style house was built circa 1855 for Oshkosh attorney Coles Bashford (1816-1878). Bashford was later elected Wisconsin’s . . . — — Map (db m96459) HM
This Victorian gazebo was presented as a gift to the City by the four Kiwanis Clubs of Oshkosh with the funds from the first annual Oshkosh Kiwanis Mini Grand Prix Auto Race held in June 1990.
Dedicated July 4, 1991 — — Map (db m41917) HM
James Knaggs, who lived across the river from this point, operated a ferry here for nineteen years. In 1831 John and Juliette Kinzie, traveling on horseback from Green Bay to their Indian Agency assignment at Portage, were ferried across. In the . . . — — Map (db m3243) HM
In proud rememberance of their valor.
Bernier, William A. · Burdick, Herbert Jr. · Gonia, Harry J. · Henderson, Richard E. · Klatt, Charles R. · Langlitz, Lyle M. · Lansing, James M. · Lashck, Edward R. · . . . — — Map (db m41740) WM
Let none forget they gave their all,
and faltered not when came the call.
1941 — 1945
Honoring all who served
and dedicated to the noble
deeds of the men and women
of Oshkosh who served their
country and especially to . . . — — Map (db m41731) HM
The 42nd Division composed of National Guard units from 26 states and the District of Columbia including Co. "F" Oshkosh, Co. "G" Appleton, Co. "E" Fond du Lac was formed August 1917. The 42nd Rainbow Division was named by Colonel Douglas MacArthur, . . . — — Map (db m26153) HM
For 38 years America's premier air race pilot, S. J. Wittman served as manager of this airport. Since 1924 he has designed and built aircraft for which he has achieved national recognition.
One of his planes "Buster" is in the Smithsonian . . . — — Map (db m3210) HM
Dedicated October 22, 1939
to commemorate the valour
and patriotism of the men
who served in the war with
Spain, Philippine Insurrection
and China Relief Expedition
1898 – 1902
Made possible through the public
spirit and . . . — — Map (db m37173) HM
In Honor of
the Members of
The 32d Red
Formed 18 July 1917
World War I
6 April 1917 – 11 November 1918
Alsace • Aisne-Marne • Oise-Aisne • Meuse-Argonne
Casualties: . . . — — Map (db m40307) HM
Opening its doors in 1871, the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh was then the third normal school founded by the state. Pioneering in curricular innovations, the school also established the first kindergarten at an American public normal school in . . . — — Map (db m33786) HM
They shall not grow old as
we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them
nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the
sun and in the morning we
will remember them.
In honor of our community's war veterans.
. . . — — Map (db m34648) HM
On his father's farm in 1922, Roy Larson, his brothers, Clarence, Newell and Leonard cleared an 80 rod strip for a runway. Roy received flying instructions at Chicago in 1919, paying $50 per hour. Roy and Clarence attended the Sweeney Mechanics . . . — — Map (db m43494) HM
Born on June 3, 1760, at Branford, Connecticut, Samuel N. Rogers, Sr., served several terms of enlistment with Captain Peck’s Company, Col. Roger Enos’ Regiment of the Connecticut Militia from 1777 to 1781. Following the war, he moved to New York . . . — — Map (db m11043) HM
This “Little House” was a part of the Children’s Country Home, formerly located in the county park area in Winneconne. In 1976 it was moved to Marble Park by the Winneconne Historical Society as a Bicentennial Project. It contains . . . — — Map (db m35284) HM
In 1836 the Menominee Indians ceded all their lands between the Wolf and Fox Rivers to the United States Government. Payment was made every October, in twenty annual installments, on these grounds. All their remaining lands were ceded in 1848 and . . . — — Map (db m34708) HM