34 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Vienna, Virginia
Location of Vienna, Virginia
► Fairfax County (487) ► Alexandria (298) ► Arlington County (382) ► Fairfax (39) ► Falls Church (50) ► Loudoun County (278) ► Prince William County (623) ► Washington, D.C. (1969) ► Charles County, Maryland (142) ► Montgomery County, Maryland (573) ► Prince George's County, Maryland (524)
Touch name on list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
|This tree was first identified from a fossil found in Japan in 1941. That same year a living specimen was discovered in a remote part of China. Since its discovery, fossil evidence has shown that during a warm period called the Paleocene-Eocene . . . — — Map (db m151336) HM|
|On 26 Nov. 1861, a 120-man detachment of Col. Robert Ransom Jr.'s 1st North Carolina Cavalry attacked 94 men of the 3rd Pennsylvania Cavalry under Capt. Charles Bell. Ransom's men took Bell's detachment from the rear as the Pennsylvanians headed . . . — — Map (db m54500) HM|
|On June 17, 1861, at this bend in the railroad, a Union train carrying 271 men of the 1st Ohio Volunteers was ambushed by nearly 700 South Carolina infantry and cavalry. Amid artillery fire, the Ohioans jumped from the platform cars and took cover . . . — — Map (db m26761) HM|
|This six-point, star-shaped earthen fort with a 130-yard perimeter was constructed on the highest point of land in the area. It provided a commanding view of the western and northwestern approaches to Vienna.
Earthwork fortifications, serving as . . . — — Map (db m1527) HM|
|During the Civil War, this junction of Hunter Mill Road and the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad was a vital crossroads as Union and Confederate troops moved along the tracks between Vienna and Leesburg. In Sept. 1862, the Confederate Brig. . . . — — Map (db m22712) HM|
|Electrification arrived in 1912, after the Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad and the Southern Railway’s Bluemont Branch were consolidated into the Washington & Old Dominion Railway. The new owners brought modern interurban trolley cars. Wire . . . — — Map (db m2095) HM|
|On 17 June 1863, early in the Gettysburg Campaign, the Union XII Corps camped just north of here. The men left Fairfax Court House at daybreak, ate breakfast at Hunter's Mill, and halted by 11 AM because of extreme heat, 99 degrees in the shade. . . . — — Map (db m93018) HM|
|Near this site where Hunter's Branch crosses the property, the First Baptist Church of Vienna regularly held baptismal services and ceremonies from 1923 until 1952. This property, now known as Carter's Glen, was the homestead of Charles Carter, . . . — — Map (db m156846) HM|
|From this spot N. 20° W. 220 ft. stood the First Court House of Fairfax County Built in 1742 abandoned because Indian hostilities about 1752 — — Map (db m20276) HM|
|Small batteries called redoubts were constructed during the Civil War as part of the outer defensive lines that encircled Washington, D.C. Late in the war, the one in front of you was built here on Freedom Hill (according to tradition, named for one . . . — — Map (db m59843) HM|
| In 1859, Abram Lydecker, a New Jersey merchant, purchased land in Vienna on which to build a large combination dwelling and store. The Lydecker family was displaced early as the Civil War swirled around the small village. Vienna village changed . . . — — Map (db m1643) HM|
Gardiner C. Means and Caroline F. Ware had a farm and home here from 1935 to 1988.
They donated this land to become Meadowlark Botanical Gardens.
Part of this historic log cabin was enclosed by their house and was used as their living . . . — — Map (db m151340) HM|
|Before you is Flint Hill Cemetery, the resting place of many of this area's most prominent Civil War-era civilian and military figures. Twenty-four veterans, including four who served in Confederate Col. John S. Mosby's Partisan Rangers, are buried . . . — — Map (db m59041) HM|
This station was called a flag stop—a passenger would step out and flag down the train to catch a ride.
The railroad was owned by the Southern Railway at this time and was operated as a steam railroad. Wires were installed in 1912 when . . . — — Map (db m1933) HM|
|The 1860 Alexandria, Loudoun, and Hampshire Railroad station at this junction was called a flag stop - a passenger would step out and flag down the train to catch a ride. At the time that the 1900 picture to the left was taken, the railroad was . . . — — Map (db m24791) HM|
For four days in March 1862, the Pennsylvania Reserve Corps camped here. It left Camp Pierpont at Langley on March 10 for Hunter's Mill on orders of Union Gen. George B. McClellan, commander of the Army of the Potomac, who had heard that Gen. . . . — — Map (db m20263) HM|
While wooden carved statues called Jang-seung traditionally stood on the Korean mainland, stone carved statues called Dolhareubang stood on the volcanic island of Jeju.
Historically, Dolhareubang were erected at the entrances of the areas . . . — — Map (db m151331) HM|
|On June 17, 1861, near this spot, a railroad was first used tactically in warfare when units from the 1st to 8th Regiments, South Carolina successfully engaged 1st Ohio Volunteers who were using a train of the Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad. . . . — — Map (db m1646) HM|
|Salsbury Spring provided drinking water and cooled the milk for the 250 acre dairy farm of Capt. Harmon L. Salsbury (1838-1913), commander of the US Colored Troop Company D, 26th Regiment from New York during the Civil War. The spring was the only . . . — — Map (db m22710) HM|
|At the beginning of the American Civil War in mid-1861, Union General Irvin McDowell, Commander, Army of Northeastern Virginia, knew that his army lacked an adequate supply of wagons. The Alexandria, Loudoun, and Hampshire Railroad (today's W&OD . . . — — Map (db m24864) HM|
|On October 18, 1864 Reverend John B. Read, a lay preacher at the Falls Church Baptist Church, was executed in dense pine woods by the railroad bridge here at Piney Branch. Early that morning a contingent of Confederate Colonel John Singleton Mosby's . . . — — Map (db m24865) HM|
"The Bell of Peace and Harmony" was donated by Gyunggido Province as a symbol of peace and partnership. The Korean Bell Garden is the first Korean Bell Garden constructed in the United States.
Gyunggido Province, with its long history of . . . — — Map (db m151335) HM|
The cabin may have been the earliest structure on a 966-ace tract owned by William Gunnell. Gunnell's son, Henry, possibly built the first (eastern) section around 1740-50. Constructed of hewn oak, it was a single room with a fireplace. The stone . . . — — Map (db m151337) HM|
|The Bluemont Branch of the Washington & Old Dominion was not the railroad’s only line. The Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad arose in 1906 from the vision of two prominent men. Sen. Stephen B. Elkins of West Virginia had prospered through coal, . . . — — Map (db m27121) HM|
| What you see before you is one of the most unique buildings in the Washington, D.C. region. Created via a joint effort between NOVA Parks and the Korean American Cultural Committee (KACC), this endeavor began with a . . . — — Map (db m155263) HM|
farming began in the 18th century by the original landowner, William Gunnell, continued through most of the 20th century thanks to the efforts of Dr. Gardiner Means and his wife, Dr. Caroline Ware. The longtime New Englanders came here when Dr. . . . — — Map (db m151341) HM|
For the first time in United States history, one of the most beautiful botanic gardens will hold a Korean Bell Garden. Strategically located in Washington, DC, this bell garden will be not only in the capital of the United States but also the . . . — — Map (db m151333) HM|
|In the old days, springhouses did the job of
refrigerators. This springhouse served the
occupants of the farm from the 18th through
the early 20th centuries.
It was built directly over the spring and
shaded by trees. Cool spring water . . . — — Map (db m29790) HM|
|The railroad that became the Washington & Old Dominion was born in Alexandria in response to the competition in shipping posed by the port in Baltimore, which was served by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. The B&O was diverting farm produce from the . . . — — Map (db m2094) HM|
|For Those Who Served Our Country And Community — — Map (db m117906) WM|
|(Front Side): History of the Railroad in Vienna * 1859 to 1968 * 1859 — Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad begins passenger, mail and freight service to Vienna. * 1861 — First use of a railroad in war occurs in Vienna . . . — — Map (db m151768) HM|
|Vienna Station, shown in the center of the photograph below in 1864, has stood here since the arrival of the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railway (later the Washington & Old Dominion Railway) in 1859. The farm community of Ayr Hill consisted of . . . — — Map (db m2090) HM|
When you walk along this stream, you are not alone. You walk in the footsteps of people from the past. Close your eyes and imagine. Listen for the footsteps of history.
Stream Valleys — Key to Survival
For Native American peoples . . . — — Map (db m151328) HM|
|In 1966, Catherine Filene Shouse donated her farmland to the U.S. Government to create Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts… a nature oasis near our nation’s capital where great artists and people of all ages would come out to play. We . . . — — Map (db m61447) HM|