Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Submitted by Allen C. Browne

2628 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 2428
 
Home of Benjamin Harrison Marker image, Touch for more information
By Pat Filippone, July 18, 2013
Home of Benjamin Harrison Marker
Ontario (Chatham-Kent County), Thamesville — The Death of TecumsehTuesday, October 5, 1813, Approximately 4:20 p.m. — Tecumseh Parkway
Near Longwoods Road (Provincial Highway 2) 4.2 kilometers east of Victoria Road (Provincial Highway 21), on the right when traveling east.
At some point during the attack on Backmetack Marsh, Tecumseh was fatally shot. As word spread of their leader's death, one American account tells of the warriors giving, "the loudest yells I ever heard from human beings and that ended the fight." . . . — Map (db m72405) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Sir Isaac Brock's First Burial Site
Near Queens Parade just south of Wellington Street.
Placed Here by the Niagara Historical Society This Marks The Spot Where Gen. Sir Isaac Brock, was buried from 1812 To 1824 — Map (db m53535) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Queenston — Sheaffe's Path to Victory
On York Road (Provincial Highway 81) 2.3 kilometers west of Niagara Parkway, on the right when traveling east.
Sheaffe's Path to Victory October 13th 1812 — Map (db m53530) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Tallulah Bankhead / I. Schiffman Building1902-1968 / Birthplace of Tallulah Bankhead — Alabama’s Best-Known Actress
On Eastside Square at Eustis Avenue Southeast, on the right on Eastside Square.
Side A Tallulah Bankhead was the toast of the London theatre in the 1920's, and nationally renowned for her dramatic roles in “The Little Foxes” (1939), “The Skin of Our Teeth” (1942), the movie . . . — Map (db m27850) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — George White Marston1850 - 1946 — Friend of His Fellow Men Lover of all Growing Things
Piece by piece through many years he acquired these acres, the site of the first Spanish settlement in California. He erected this building. He planted the trees and shrubs and nurtured their growth with tireless devotion, and when the barren . . . — Map (db m84997) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Old Ballast Point Lighthouse, San Diego
On Congress Street, on the right when traveling east.
Established Aug. 1, 1890, Ballast Point Light Station was a fine example of “railroad Gothic” and lasted until 1866, when it was replaced by a light on top of a slender steel tower, and new quarters were built for the Coast Guard . . . — Map (db m84497) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Dancing, Roller Skating & Bowling1920 - 1977 — Uptown Tenderloin Lost Landmarks
On Jones Street at Eddy Street on Jones Street.
After the 1906 Earthquake, dance ballrooms and academies such as the Arcadia, Fisher's and Golden Gate Ballroom replaced the demolished Alhambra Theatre on this site. By the 1930's, roller skates replaced dancing shoes. In 1942, the Golobic family . . . — Map (db m91057) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Oasis ApartmentsUptown Tenderloin Historic District — c. 1928
On Turk Street east of Hyde Street, on the right when traveling east.
Formerly YMCA Hotel This building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m90171) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Phelan BuildingThor Equities
On Market Street near O'Farrell Street, on the left when traveling north.
was built in 1908 by philanthropist, humanitarian, and statesman James D. Phelan. This spectacular Flatiron style building was designed by William Curlett, one of the foremost architects of the Victorian-era and founding father of the AIA San . . . — Map (db m71870) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — SC-168 — The Cannonball House
On Bank Street at Front Street on Bank Street.
The War of 1812 had a major impact on the town of Lewes and surrounding area. The naval blockade that was initiated by the British in March of 1813 lasted for most of the next two years. With maritime commerce limited, the local economy suffered. . . . — Map (db m30358) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Seaford — S-77 — Governor Ross Mansion
On Ross Station Road 0.4 miles south of Herring Run Road, on the left when traveling south.
This residence was constructed by William Henry Harrison Ross. He was born in Laurel in 1814 and died in 1887. He served as Governor of Delaware (D) between 1851-1855. In 1859, Ross constructed this elaborate brick Italian Villa style structure . . . — Map (db m4818) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — 16 of 20 — Education MattersAn East-of-the-River View — Anacostia Heritage Trail
Near Good Hope Road South East at Minnisota Avenue South East.
Anacostia's Ketcham School (across Good Hope Road) opened in 1908 to serve white elementary school children. For junior and senior high school, whites crossed the river until 1935, when Anacostia Junior-Senior High School opened at 16th and R . . . — Map (db m112790) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — 9 — Never Again Such Homes At the Price!Battleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail
On Sheridan Street, on the right when traveling west.
We have Harry Wardman to thank for the rich variety of Sheridan Street rowhouses. Wardman, considered Washington's most prolific developer, built hundreds of offices, apartments, hotels, and comfortable rowhouses from 1899 to 1939. When he . . . — Map (db m72823) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — 6 — School DaysBattleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail
On Missouri Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Reported damaged.
The School Building Just Ahead of You Opened In 1912 as the Military Road School, the area's third public elementary for African Americans. For decades it was the only public school serving black children in Upper Northwest and nearby . . . — Map (db m110235) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — Site of a Tulip Tree
On Butternut Street NW near Georgia Avenue NW (Route 29).
Used as a signal station · by · Confederate soldiers under Gen. Jubal A. Early during the attack on · Washington · July 11 and 12, 1864 Also used by Confederate Sharpshooters The lower plaque reads: Two cannon balls . . . — Map (db m42698) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — 10 — The Seventh Street TurnpikeBattleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail
On Piney Branch Road near Georgia Avenue.
On July 11 and 12, 1864, this intersection was the center of the only Civil War battle fought in the District of Columbia. Here, Union sharpshooters at Fort Stevens, supported by forces across the northernmost of Washington's ring of forts, . . . — Map (db m72824) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — Peirce Still HouseNational Register of Historic Places
On Shoemaker Street, on the left when traveling south.
The Peirce Still House, built between 1796 and 1811, was part of a large plantation owned by Isaac Peirce, a Quaker from Pennsylvania and slave owner, who purchased the property in 1795. Much of the Peirce Estate became part of Rock Creek Park when . . . — Map (db m82098) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — Campus to Army Camps and Back Again — Meridian Hill Park, National Historic Landmark
On 15th Street at Euclid Street, on the left when traveling north on 15th Street.
President Monroe singed a charter in 1821 that established Columbian College on a site north of Florida Avenue between 14th and 15th Streets, Columbian College moved to Foggy Bottom in 1912 and became George Washington University, but the original . . . — Map (db m63771) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — James BuchananDiplomat, Statesman, and Fifteenth President of the United States — Meridian Hill Park, National Historic Landmark
On 16th Street at W Street on 16th Street.
Buchanan was our only bachelor president and relied upon his orphaned niece, Harriet Lane, to act as his First Lady during his years in the White House (1857 to 1861). In her estate, Harriet Lane Johnson made a bequest to fund a memorial to her . . . — Map (db m63631) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — 16 — Mansions, Parks, and PeopleCultural Convergence — Columbia Heights Heritage Trail
On 15th Street south of Euclid Street, on the right when traveling north.
On your right is Josephine Butler Parks Center, home of Washington Parks & People, a network of groups devoted to DC and its parks. The network's 1927 mansion, which once housed the Hungarian delegation, was part of an embassy row envisioned by Mary . . . — Map (db m63849) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — The Wilson Center
Near Irving Street NW when traveling east.
To The Glory of God And in grateful memory of one of his servants This building devoted to Christian education Is named for Woodrow Wilson President of Princeton University 1902 — 1910 Governor of the state of New Jersey . . . — Map (db m82615) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — Clifford W. Beers 1876 - 1943The Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
Near G Street Northwest.
Founded the National Mental Health Association in 1909 to improve mental health care and fight discrimination against people with mental illness. To instigate this reform, Beers courageously shared his own experience with mental illness in his . . . — Map (db m92194) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — Fraser MansionBuilt 1890
Near 20th Street at R Street.
This Property is listed in The National Register of Historic Places As a National Landmark for its Architectural and Cultural contributions To the District of Columbia — Map (db m79008) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), East Corner — Original Federal Boundary Stone East
On Eastern Avenue at Southern Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Eastern Avenue.
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed 1791-1792 Protected by Dist. of Co. Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m5281) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Fairfax Village — Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 3
On Southern Avenue SE, on the right when traveling north.
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed 1791-1792 Protected by Ruth Brewster Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m82433) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Forest Hills — The Peirce Family Estate
On Tilden Street when traveling north.
The stone mill was an important part of the Peirce family's business. Like most farms of the 1800s, this was also a diversified and constantly evolving operation. The family managed hundreds of acres devoted to fields, pastures, and orchards. A . . . — Map (db m79643) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — America's Oldest Catholic University
On 37th Street at O Street Northwest, on the right when traveling north on 37th Street.
Georgetown University, founded in 1789 by Reverend John Carroll as a school for students of “Every Religious Profession,” is the oldest Catholic university in America, administered by the Jesuits since 1805. According to the 1831 . . . — Map (db m90222) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Hollywood on the Potomac
On Prospect Street near 36th Street when traveling west.
Think of Georgetown as the real life equivalent of the MGM back lot. Hollywood has used Georgetown as a backdrop for drama, comedy, intrique, romance, crime, disaster — and horror. You are standing near the 75 steps that figured prominently in . . . — Map (db m90168) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — John Fitzgerald KennedyChurch of the Holy Trinity
On 36th Street, NW north of N Street, NW, on the left when traveling south.
[Rendering of the Seal of the President of the United States] In Memoriam Within the hallowed walls of the historic Church of the Holy Trinity in Georgetown, D.C. worshiped the late President of the United States, John Fitzgerald . . . — Map (db m22076) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Parrott Ropewalk
Near R Street at Avon Place.
Here the Richard Parrott Ropewalk manufactured rope and rigging used on sailing vessels that plied their trade in old Georgetown through the early 19th Century. The ropewalk receives its name from the long path used for the laying out of . . . — Map (db m68712) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Hillbrook — National Training School for Women and Girls/ Nannie Helen BurroughsAfrican American Heritage Trail — 601 50th Street, NE
Near 50th Street NE.
The National Training School for Women and Girls was founded here in 1909 by Nannie Helen Burroughs (1879 - 1961). With its focus on the “three B's” — “Bible, bath and broom” — the school taught skills such as . . . — Map (db m103272) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), LeDroit Park — Elks Columbia Lodge No. 85African American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC
On 3rd Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south.
1844 Third Street, NW Columbia Lodge No. 85 of the Improved Benevolent and Protective Order of the Elks of the World was incorporated in Washington in 1906, eight years after the parent organization was incorporated in Cincinnati, Ohio. . . . — Map (db m87154) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Logan Circle — Pratt House
On Logan Circle.
9 Logan Circle has been designated a National Historic Landmark ——— The Preservation of the Pratt house conforms to National Park Service, U.S. Department of Interior standards and is consistent with the historic . . . — Map (db m79589) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Penn Quarter — Dr. Edgar J. HelmsThe Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
Near 15th Street.
Dr. Edgar J. Helms founded Goodwill Industries in 1902 to help people with disabilities and disadvantages fully participate in society by expanding their occupational capabilities. To accomplish this mission, Helms created an innovative system . . . — Map (db m92000) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Penn Quarter — Ernest K. Coulter 1871 - 1952The Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
Near 15th Street.
Ernest K. Coulter’s enduring contribution is the founding, in 1904, of the Big Brothers Big Sisters youth mentoring movement. Coulter lived a life of purpose and passion. Social welfare activist, journalist, lecturer, author, lawyer and advocate for . . . — Map (db m92126) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Penn Quarter — The Inaugural Parade Tradition
Near 15th Street near G Street.
This montage showing four presidential inaugural parades along 15th St., NW is based on artist Earl Minderman's 1980 visioning of President thomas Jefferson's inaugural parade as well as historic photos of the inauguration of Presidents Garfield, . . . — Map (db m91808) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Penn Quarter — W. D. Boyce 1858 - 1929The Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
Near G Street Northwest at 15th Street Northwest.
Inspired by the “good turn” of an unknown English Scout, W. D. Boyce brought Scouting to the United States in 1910, making it possible for millions of young Americans to benefit from its values-based education programs. . . . — Map (db m92085) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Penn Quarter — W.E.B. DuBois 1868 - 1963 & Mary White Ovington 1865-1951The Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
Near G Street.
In 1909, W.E.B. DuBois, a leading spokesman in the Campaign for racial equality, joined Mary White Ovington, Moorfield Storey, William English Walling, John Milholland, Oswald Garrison Villard, Frances Blascoer and 54 other prominent Americans as . . . — Map (db m91875) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Pleasant Plains — 8 of 19 — Cleaning Up CowtownLift Every Voice — Georgia Avenue/Pleasant Plains Heritage Trail
On Georgia Avenue (U.S. 29) at Barry Place Northwest, on the right when traveling south on Georgia Avenue.
The area west of this spot once was an Irish and German immigrant neighborhood known as “Cowtown.” That's because, before 1871, cows, pigs, and sheep roamed freely here, while those kept in Washington City, south of Boundary Street . . . — Map (db m85497) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — African-American History in Southwest
Near Wharf Street Southwest.
The Southwest Waterfront’s history is closely tied to African-American history. Leading up to the Civil War many people of color—those still enslaved as well as some freed individuals—lived and worked here, and some helped build the . . . — Map (db m109580) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — Creating the Waterfront
Near Wharf Street Southwest.
Before the 1800s, the Southwest Waterfront formed the eastern bank of the Potomac, but sediment accumulated as farming increased, making the river hard to navigate and prone to flooding. In 1882, plans to dredge the river were approved, with . . . — Map (db m109748) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — John Paul Jones Memorial
On 17th Street, SW at Independence Avenue, SW, on the left when traveling south on 17th Street, SW.
[North Face inscriptions - above and beneath Captain Jones' statue:] John Paul Jones 1747-1792 First to compel foreign man-of-war to strike colors to the Stars and Stripes. [South Face inscriptions - above and beneath a bas relief . . . — Map (db m19534) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The Tidal Basin — Thomas JeffersonNational Memorial Cornerstone — National Historic Landmark
Near 14th Street, SW north of Ohio Avenue, SW when traveling west.
This Cornerstone was laid by Franklin Delano Roosevelt President of the United States of America 1939 — Map (db m83684) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Trinidad — UntitledArtist: Mikhail Hardy — 2009
On Holbrook Street Northeast at Queen Street NE, on the left when traveling north on Holbrook Street Northeast.
The repairs and restoration of this call box and five others were made possible in 2009 by Trinidad Neighborhood Association. Fabrication and installation: Gelberg Signs. Art on Call is sponsored by Cultural Tourism DC, the DC Commission on the . . . — Map (db m115196) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Wakefield — 3 — Suburban StyleTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail
On Brandywine Street at 38th Street, on the left when traveling east on Brandywine Street.
Until 1890 Tenleytown was a rural crossroads. Then the electric streetcar arrived, followed by the Permanent Highway Plan. Real estate men promoted new houses at the top of the town: city conveniences, country charm, and great views, with a . . . — Map (db m83093) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — 6 of 17 — Working for the RaceMidcity at the Crossroads — Shaw Heritage Trail
On 9th Street Northwest at Q Street Northwest, on the right when traveling north on 9th Street Northwest.
Carter G. Woodson, The Father of Black History, worked and lived at 1538 Ninth Street from 1912 until 1950. The son of formerly enslaved people. Woodson received a Ph.D. from Harvard, and became an acclaimed scholar, educator, and advocate. He . . . — Map (db m108663) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — Rough Riders
On East Wright Street at North Tarragona Street, on the right when traveling west on East Wright Street.
June 1, 1898, Col. Theodore Roosevelt and 170 of his Rough Riders (Indians, cowboys, policemen, clubmen, millionaires, etc.) welcomed here en route to Spanish-American War. There were 6 trains with men, horses and equipment of 1st U.S. Volunteer . . . — Map (db m72270) HM
Florida (Osceola County), Kissimmee — F-304 — Osceola County
On West Emmett Street (U.S. 17) east of South Rose Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Osceola County was created in May, 1887 from portions of Orange and Brevard Counties. One of its sponsors was Senator J. Milton Bryan, who suggested the new county be named for Osceola, the great Seminole warrior. The new county was Florida's . . . — Map (db m54022) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — 333 North Michigan BuildingHolabird & Root, Architect 1928 — Chicago Landmark
Near North Michigan Avenue.
This outstanding Art Deco-style skyscraper helps define one of the city's finest urban spaces. Its prominence is further heightened by the jog in Michigan Avenue, where it crosses the Chicago River. The base of the building is sheathed in polished . . . — Map (db m99920) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — The Discoverers
On North Michigan Avenue at The River Esplanade on North Michigan Avenue.
Jolliet, Father Marquette, La Salle and Tonti will live in American history as fearless explorers who made their way through the great lakes and across this watershed to the Mississippi in the late seventeenth century and typify the spirit of brave . . . — Map (db m99369) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1963.1 — Brig. General Benjamin Harrison
On North Delaware Street north of East 11th Street, on the left when traveling north.
1833–1901. Entered the Union Army as 2nd Lt. of the 70th Indiana Regiment. He insisted on turning raw recruits into disciplined soldiers. He later was United States Senator from Indiana and the twenty-third President of the United States. — Map (db m565) HM
Kentucky (Hardin County), Elizabethtown — 1534 — Commodore Joshua Barney / First Brick House
On North Main Street at Poplar Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street.
(side 1 – Commodore Joshua Barney) Famous American privateer and naval hero in War of 1812. Barney owned many acres of land in Hardin CO. A friend of George Washington, John Paul Jones and Napoleon Bonaparte. His greatest desire . . . — Map (db m119791) HM
Kentucky (Kenton County), Covington — John James Audubon
On Shelby near Riverside Dr., on the right when traveling north.
“Nature must be seen first alive, and well studied, before attempts are made at representing her.” Best known as a painter of birds and most notably for his series called the Birds of America. Audubon came to the . . . — Map (db m78177) HM
Kentucky (Todd County), Fairview — 57 — Jefferson Davis Birthplace
On Jefferson Davis Highway near Pembroke-Fairview Road (Kentucky Route 115), on the right when traveling east.
Here the only President of the Confederate States of America was born June 3, 1808, the son of Samuel and Jane Cook Davis. The family moved to Mississippi during his infancy. — Map (db m3032) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Audubon Memorial
On State Highway 965 0.1 miles north of U.S. 61.
Oakley Plantation, 3 miles east, where John James Audubon painted 32 of his "Birds of America." It was built in 1799 by Ruffin Gray and acquired as a state park in 1947 from Miss Lucy Mathews. — Map (db m85574) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — British 24 Pounder
Near Holloway Road.
Captured on the British flagship Confiance on Lake Champlain, September 11, 1814, by Commodore Thomas MacDonough. This gun has a dent on the muzzle from an American shot which caused the gun to recoil and kill the British commander, . . . — Map (db m7812) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Fort Nonsense
Near Kinkaid Road just from Church Road.
Fort Nonsense has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior. It is the last remaining fortification of several constructed in the 18th and 19th centuries to defend Annapolis and its waterways. . . . — Map (db m63588) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Maryland State House
On State Circle near School Street.
Built 1772–1779 Capitol of the United States November 26, 1783 – August 13, 1784 In this state house, oldest in the nation still in legislative use, General George Washington resigned his commission before the . . . — Map (db m2864) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A Beloved General
Near West Fayette Street at North Greene Street.
"...and I feel pride in the belief that the stand made on Monday, in no small degree, tended to check the temerity of the foe, daring to invade a country like ours, and designing the destruction of our city..." Brig. Gen. John Stricker . . . — Map (db m6651) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A Mother’s Grief
Near West Fayette Street at North Greene Street.
In an age of high infant mortality, Sarah and John Brown experience more than their share of loss. Plagued by smallpox, yellow fever, cholera, typhoid, measles and mumps, early Baltimore families buried one of every three children before their first . . . — Map (db m30564) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Armistead
Near Fort Avenue.
To Col. George Armistead, April 10, 1779 – April 25, 1818, commander of this fort during the bombardment by the British Fleet, Sept. 13-14 1814. War of 1812. Erected Spet. 12, 1914 by the City of Baltimore, Soc. War of 1812 . . . — Map (db m2595) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Cast-Iron Façade
Near South Front Street.
The front of the Morton K. Blaustein City Life Exhibition Center is a unique example of recycling. The five cast-iron bays fronted a building at 218-226 S. Charles Street before it was demolished in 1976 to make way for Baltimore's Convention . . . — Map (db m97333) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Christopher Columbus MemorialColumbus Piazza
On South President Street at Fawn Street on South President Street.
Front panel Christopher Columbus discover of America October 12, 1492. Dedicated to the City of Baltimore by the Italian American Organization United of Maryland and the Italian American Community of Baltimore in commemoration of the discovery of . . . — Map (db m103122) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Colonel George Armistead
Near Warren Street.
[front side] This monument is erected in honor of the gallant defender of Fort McHenry near this city during its bombardment by the British Fleet on the 13th and 14th September 1814. He died universally esteemed and regretted on the 25th of April . . . — Map (db m80930) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Inspired WordsStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
On Hopkins Plaza-West Baltimore Street.
After 10 harrowing days aboard ship and witnessing the British bombardment of Fort McHenry, Francis Scott Key spent his first night ashore at the Indian Queen Tavern, September 16-17, 1814. The inn operated at this site until the 1830s.

Moved by . . . — Map (db m79849) WM

Maryland, Baltimore — Mount Vernon Cultural Walk-Celebrating CultureThe Heart of the City
On North Charles Street at Mt. Vernon Place on North Charles Street.
Mount Vernon Place celebrates Baltimore’s rich cultural heritage, offering an extraordinary array of historic architecture, monuments, sculpture and cultural Institutions. The Washington Monument set the stage for this area in 1829, becoming the . . . — Map (db m62437) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Old East BaltimoreFrom Country Estates to City Living
On Greenmount Avenue at East Prston Street on Greenmount Avenue.
Old East Baltimore historic district is significant for its association with the history of immigration in Baltimore, its intact rowhouses and religious structures representing a range of architectural styles from the 1840s through the early 1900s, . . . — Map (db m78604) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Prelude to WarStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
On South Patterson Park Avenue.
Events here October 4, 1808, known as “Gin Riots” were more rallies than riots. Some 1,300 horsemen, 400 sailors, and thousands of civilians paraded to Hampstead Hill to destroy 720 gallons of Dutch gin.

The British, intercepting . . . — Map (db m79651) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — The Cone Sisters
On Eutaw Place, on the right when traveling north.
. . . — Map (db m90603) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Severn Building
On Cathedral Street, on the left when traveling south on Cathedral Street.
Designed by architect Charles E. Cassell and constructed it 1895. It was purchase d by Caswell J. Caplan in 1976 and is still owned by his wife Constance and their children. The family is committed to maintaining and improving Mount Vernon; the . . . — Map (db m95610) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Star-Spangled Banner Centennial Monument
Near Patterson Park Avenue.
To Commemorate the Centennial of the Writing of the "Star Spangled Banner," the Pupils of the Public Schools of Baltimore have erected this Memorial upon Hampstead Hill * where, in September, 1814 the Citizen Soldiers of Maryland . . . — Map (db m61891) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Woodrow Wilson1864-1932
On Eutaw Place, on the right when traveling south.
Coming to this house as a Hopkins Ph.D. candidate was the first step towards Princeton University's presidency, New Jersey's governorship and the White House. — Map (db m6558) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Dundalk — Commodore Joshua Barney1759–1818
On Wise Avenue at Inverness Ave., on the left when traveling south on Wise Avenue.
Born in Baltimore, Barney at an early age moved with his family to a nearby farm on Bear Creek in the Patapsco Neck section of the County. When only 12 he went to sea. In the War for Independence he was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant on the . . . — Map (db m2120) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Hampton: An American StoryHampton National Historic Site
On Hampton Lane.
This land was once part of one of the largest estates in Maryland---and one of the most impressive. The Ridgley family owned Hampton Plantation for more than 200 years, and their home and many farm buildings have changed little since the mid-19th . . . — Map (db m78481) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Lower Marlboro — Town RavagedStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
On Lower Marlboro Road.
A British force of about 160 Royal Marines and 30 Colonial Marines (former slaves) took Lower Marlboro on June 15, 1814, without and resistance. Occupying the town overnight, they burned warehouses full of tobacco, stole a schooner, livestock, and . . . — Map (db m80885) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Saint Leonard — BrewhouseSurveyed 1651
On Parran Road at Solomons Island Road (Maryland Route 2/4), on the right when traveling west on Parran Road.
5½ Miles. ← Mackall’s Landing. Birthplace of Thomas Johnson (1732–1819), member of Continental Congress 1774. Nominated Washington as Commander-in-Chief Continental Army 1775. First elected Governor of Maryland 1777. Associate . . . — Map (db m3467) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — Weapons of WarAmerican Artillery — Replica Fiberglass Cannon on Carriage
On Jefferson Patterson Park Road.
The replica 18-pounder cannon located on the hill is similar to the type used by American forces during the Battle of St. Leonard Creek. “18-pounder” refers to the weight of the cannonballs, which were approximately five inches in . . . — Map (db m80929) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Cambridge — Eastern Shore InfantryGlorious Achievements
On Gay Street at Spring Street, on the left when traveling east on Gay Street.
During the Civil War, U.S. Col. James Wallace, commander of the 1st Regiment, Eastern Shore Maryland Volunteers, used this building as his headquarters. The regiment which camped east of here, drew most of its members directly from the Eastern . . . — Map (db m113141) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — 14th New Jersey Infantry Regiment
On Urbana Pike (State Highway 355), on the right when traveling south.
(Upper Plaque):Erected by the State of New Jersey to commemorate the heroic services of the 14th Regiment New Jersey Volunteer Infantry 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 6th Corps Army of the Potomac, at the Battle of Monocacy, MD July 9th . . . — Map (db m13301) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — A Good Night's RestFrederick's Hotel Block
On West Patrick Street (State Highway 144) at South Court Street, on the left when traveling west on West Patrick Street.
This part of downtown Frederick has long been a place of lodging and hospitality for travelers along the National Road. Kimball's Inn, Talbott's Tavern, the City Hotel and the Francis Scott Key Hotel have occupied this site for over two hundred . . . — Map (db m104243) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Commemoration
On Urbana Pike (Maryland Route 355) 0.4 miles north of Araby Church Road, on the left when traveling north.
On July 9, 1907, 43 years after the battle of Monocacy, 180 veterans of the 14th New Jersey Regiment returned to dedicate this monument in honor of their comrades and their sacrifices. Most of the men wore a memorial pin on their lapel, given to . . . — Map (db m82291) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Gambrill House
Near Urbana Pike (State Highway 355), on the right when traveling north. Reported missing.
James H. Gambrill prospered as a miller after the Civil War, and the family moved up in the world - from a modest dwelling on the lowlands near the mill to this 17-room house on the hill. The three-story frame structure, built about 1872, has . . . — Map (db m90481) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Mullinix Park
On South Bentz Street.
. . . — Map (db m107574) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — No to the Stamp!
“The STAMP-ACT having received a mortal wound by the Hands of Justice, on Saturday last gave up the Ghost, to the great joy of the Inhabitants of Frederick County. The lifeless body lay exposed to public Ignominy 'til Yesterday, when it was . . . — Map (db m103825) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — They Lie Here, Beneath Our Feet
On East 6th Street at Chapel Alley, on the right when traveling west on East 6th Street.
For nearly a century, many of Frederick's African American residents were laid to rest here in the Laboring Sons Cemetery. As the name implies, they repaired the shoes, painted the houses, cleaned the stables, nursed the sick, and performed . . . — Map (db m110801) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Unanimous Resolution
Near North Court Street.
“It is the unanimous resolution and opinion of this court that all the business thereof shall and ought to be transacted in the usual and accustomed manner, without any inconvenience or delay to be occasioned from the want of stamped paper, . . . — Map (db m103840) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Middletown — MiddletownRansom Demands — Early's 1864 Attack on Washington
Near North Church Street (Maryland Route 17) at West Main Street (Alternate U.S. 40), on the right when traveling south.
(preface) In June 1864, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee sent Gen. Jubal A. Early’s corps from Richmond battlefields to the Shenandoah Valley to counter Union Gen. David Hunter’s army. After driving Hunter into West Virginia, Early invaded . . . — Map (db m76668) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Thurmont — A Fatal Shootout
Near Park Central Road.
Near here on July 31, 1929, Deputy Sheriff Clyde L. Hauver was fatally wounded in a raid on the Blue Blazes Still. Police eventually tracked down several suspects, and two moonshiners were convicted in connection with the murder after several days . . . — Map (db m79932) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Thurmont — Creeger House11 North Church Street
On North Church Street, on the left when traveling east.
Originally built in the 1820's this house was enlarged and brick cased in 1876 for Col. John R. Rouzer, Civil War hero. Purchased by Edwin Creeger in 1924 and deeded to the Thurmont Historical Society by Mrs. Ethel Creeger in 1990. Recognized in . . . — Map (db m66196) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Walkersville — George Poe
Near Woodsboro Pike (Maryland Route 194) at Devilbiss Road.
Revolutionary Patriot Captain, 34th Battalion Frederick County, Maryland Militia 1775-1776 Brother of Gen. David Poe, Deputy Quartermaster General Great Uncle of Edgar Allan Poe _____________ Marker Placed by the Frederick Chapter, . . . — Map (db m107308) HM WM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsville — Casselman River BridgeSpruce Forest Artisan Village History Walk
Near Casselman Road 0.3 miles west of National Pike (Alternate U.S. 40).
When built in 1873, this structure was the largest single-span stone bridge in America. The high arch was designed to facilitate riverboat traffic on the proposed C&O Canal. However, due to the emerging railroad industry in the nineteenth century, . . . — Map (db m84795) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — No RespectStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
On Union Avenue at Congress Street, on the right when traveling south on Union Avenue.
St. John's Episcopal Church survived the British attack on Havre de Grace May 3, 1813. The enemy spared the 1809 structure but damaged the interior. According to a newspaper account: "Finding nothing to steal (the raiders) 'magnanimously' . . . — Map (db m69194) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Disney’s TavernCa. 1790
On Main Street (Maryland Route 144), on the right when traveling west.
Deborah Disney ran her tavern, a popular gathering place for men, on this site from 1840-1862. The building continued as a tavern thought the late 19th century. Later a fabric store, women's boutique, and antique bookstore, it is one of the oldest . . . — Map (db m111737) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Word Wars I, II and Korea Memorial
Near Park Avenue.
In Memory of The Citizens of Howard County Who Served in World Wars I and II And The Korean Conflict Erected by V.F.W. Post No. 7472 Ellicott City Lions Club Ellicott City Rotary Club — Map (db m111705) WM
Maryland (Kent County), Chestertown — A County Seat
On Park Row.
Establishing a county government is the first step for people building a stable community and a strong trade economy. The first Kent County Courthouse was located at New Yarmouth, a 17th-century settlement abandoned when county lines were . . . — Map (db m62818) HM
Maryland (Kent County), Chestertown — Bordley Corner
On South Cross Street at High Street, on the right when traveling south on South Cross Street.
Building built in 1883 by Thomas S. Bordley as a two-story men’s haberdashery. Gutted by fire in 1910. Rebuilt in 1911. Owned and operated as a men’s store by Carl and Ruth Bordley 1922-1950. Now rented by the Bordley family. — Map (db m6157) HM
Maryland (Kent County), Edesville — Martin Wagner1899–1980
On Maryland Route 20 at Martin Wagner Road, on the right on State Route 20.
Master Machinist and Blacksmith, he was the third generation of his family to devote his life to work with forge, torch and anvil on this site. The Wagner Blacksmith and Machinery Repair Shop began serving the residents of Kent County in the 1850s. . . . — Map (db m3071) HM
Maryland (Kent County), Georgetown — Mistress Kitty Knight
Near Maryland Route 213, on the right when traveling south.
In Honor of Mistress Kitty Knight Revolutionary Belle and Beauty A Friend of General George Washington When the British burned Georgetown in 1813 Her Heroic Efforts Saved this House which later became her home. Placed by London . . . — Map (db m62345) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Cemetery of the Bethesda Presbyterian Church
On Rockville Pike (Maryland Route 355).
The Bethesda Meeting House was erected on this site in 1820. The original sanctuary was destroyed by fire. A second edifice was built in 1850 about 100 yards south of the cemetery. In 1926 the church was moved to its present location at Wilson Lane . . . — Map (db m78047) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Tennallytown and Rockville Railroad
Near Old Georgetown Road.
In 1890, the Tennallytown and Rockville Railroad ran along Old Georgetown Road to Bethesda Park, a favorite amusement spot in the area. The park entrance was located on the corner of what is now Old Georgetown Road and Sonoma Road. — Map (db m73284) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — The Walter Reed Memorial
Near Palmer Road.
The 1903 Walter Reed Memorial Association's vision for a memorial in honor of Major Walter Reed was finally realized on 21 November 1966 on the ground of the Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington DC. After the center's closure on 15 September . . . — Map (db m75846) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — This Complex of Buildings and Gardens
Near Old Georgetown Road.
This complex of buildings and gardens stands on part of the land associated with Descendants of Ninian Beall, who came to Maryland in 1650. His son George reputedly gave his name to Georgetown which in 1752 was carved out of property he owned. — Map (db m73142) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Cabin John — At All Hours
Near Clara Barton Parkway.
It Shall be the duty, at all hours, by night as well as day, to pass all boats and floats presenting themselves at their locks. — Charles Mercer, President, C&O Canal Company Every time his boat passed through a lock, a boat captain . . . — Map (db m103222) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Darnestown — Andrew Small AcademyDarnestown
Near Darnestown Road.
The years following the Civil War were a booming time for Darnestown. Local residents repaired damages from the war and returned to their daily means of livelihood. Andrew Small was a C&O Canal contractor and became familiar with Darnestown during . . . — Map (db m69716) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Derwood — Newmantown
On Rock Creek Park Road.
A small grouping of houses and outbuildings near this spot became a kinship-based community known as Newmantown. There were numerous post Civil-War African American communities in Montgomery County similar to Newmantown. There were also several Free . . . — Map (db m105151) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Dickerson — White’s Ferry
Near Whites Ferry Road (Maryland Route 107) at River Road.
Before you is the last operating ferry on the Potomac River. Early settlers recognized these relatively still waters would provide an ideal location for a ferry. The first known ferry operation here was Conrad’s Ferry in 1817. After the Civil War, . . . — Map (db m741) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — Goshen Mills
On Brink Road, on the right when traveling west.
The original Goshen Mills consisted of a three-story brick merchant mill and a smaller frame grist mill. The facility was constructed after 1737 by Ignatius Pigman to serve this small farming community. It relied on water supplied by the Goshen . . . — Map (db m72556) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Hyattstown — HyattstownUninvited Guests — Antietam Campaign 1862
On Frederick Road (Maryland Route 355) at Hyattstown Mill Road, on the right when traveling north on Frederick Road.
The roadside village of Hyattstown became the front line when Confederate cavalry stationed to the north in Urbana clashed with Union cavalry reconnoitering from Clarksburg to the south. On the evening of September 8, 1862, Maj. Alonzo W. Adams and . . . — Map (db m1727) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Laytonsville — Rolling RidgeCirca - 1790
On Brink Road at Rolling Ridge Lane, on the right when traveling west on Brink Road.
North of this monument, Robert Ober, a wealthy merchant built his home. A long tree-lined approach adds prominence to this 1½ story brick Georgian-style residence. This Tidewater style of architecture is rarely found in Montgomery County. . . . — Map (db m72538) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Olney — Higgins Tavern
On Georgia Avenue (Maryland Route 97) at Silo Inn Lane, on the right when traveling south on Georgia Avenue.
From Colonial times until the late 19th century, taverns occupied almost every crossroad and trading center. They were the center of life for rural communities. This is where mail was received, goods were traded, travelers slept, newspapers were . . . — Map (db m72582) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Hungerford Tavern SiteJune 11, 1774
Near S. Washington Street.
On above date aroused Patriots resolved that every lawful means be used to procure relief from oppressions of the English Parliament and that the most effectual way to secure American Freedom would be to break off all commerce with Great Britain. . . . — Map (db m66403) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — The Prettyman House
On West Jefferson Street (Maryland Route 28) at South Van Buren Street, on the right when traveling east on West Jefferson Street.
This house was built on a 13.5-acre lot on the outskirts of Rockville in 1842. A stone marking the southwest corner of the original 1803 Rockville Plan is between this house and the adjacent Rockville Academy grounds. Matilda Holland, widow of . . . — Map (db m74) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — Blair Mansion: Silver Spring / Blair Station Post OfficeTRANSORMA/TRANSFORMA © 2005
On Newell Street at Kennett Street, on the right when traveling north on Newell Street.
[Panel 1:] Blair Mansion: Silver Spring Prior to the development of modern Silver Spring, this immediate area was a bucolic, rural landscape in a portion of Montgomery County then known as Sligo. The property was owned by Francis . . . — Map (db m23488) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — Matthew HensonA Lifetime of Exploration
On Layhill Road (Maryland Route 182) 0.1 miles from Middlevale Lane, on the left when traveling north.
August 8, 1866 - Born in Charles County, Maryland. 1877-1879 - At the age of 12, leaves home to live in Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD. 1879-1884 - Joins the crew of the ship "Katie Hines" as a cabin boy and explores the . . . — Map (db m114209) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — The Blair Family and the Civil War
Near Jesup Blair Drive east of Georgia Avenue (U.S. 29), on the right when traveling east.
In his declaration of war on April 15, 1861, President Lincoln made an urgent request: “I appeal to all loyal citizens to favor, facilitate and aid said effort to maintain the honor, the integrity, and the existence of our National Union, . . . — Map (db m82166) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Takoma Park — Early TakomaLaurel and Carroll Avenues
On Laurel Avenue at Carroll Avenue, in the median on Laurel Avenue.
In 1888 B. F. Gilbert, the founder of Takoma Park, built a log cabin to celebrate the presidential campaign of Benjamin Harrison. The cabin stood on the east side of Laurel at Carroll Avenue until it burned to the ground on Halloween in 1915. It was . . . — Map (db m64507) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — Indian Queen TavernBladensburg Archaeology — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
On Baltimore Avenue (U.S. 1) when traveling north.
Around 1763, Jacob and Henrietta Wirt constructed a two story wooden tavern here. During the 18th century, taverns offered dinner, drink, and a comfortable bed to weary travelers. A decade later, Jacob died and left his property, including . . . — Map (db m78189) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — Joshua Barney's Barge and the Chesapeake Flotilla
Near Annapolis Roade (Maryland Route 450) at 46th Steet.
Joshua Barney's Barge is a 4/5 scale, authentic working replica of an American warship of the Chesapeake Flotilla from the War of 1812. This barge was built as a project of the Prince George's County tricentennial in 1996 by The Maryland-National . . . — Map (db m8219) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — Railroad History in Bladensburg
Near Annapolis Road (Maryland Route 450) at 46th Street.
In its infancy in America, the railroad came to Bladensburg. In 1833, construction began in Baltimore on the 32-mile-long Washington line of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. It originally passed directly through Bladensburg, however, the main line . . . — Map (db m8221) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — The Road to the CapitalBattle of Bladensburg — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Near Baltimore Avenue (Route 1) near Upshur Place.
The War of 1812 raged on land and sea, touching every border of the young nation. On August 24, 1814, after two years at war, the Americans faced the British here at Bladensburg. While the American militia were unable to hold back the . . . — Map (db m78230) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — The Belair Stud FarmCradle of American Racing
On Belair Drive, on the right when traveling north.
Colonial Manor where breeding for the turf was carried on for three centuries. Laying the foundation of American thoroughbred racing. Samuel Ogle original owner, imported the stallion "Spark", the filly "Queen Mab" and other prize horses. His . . . — Map (db m64743) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — The Bowie Caboose
On Chestnut Avenue just north of 11th Street (Maryland Route 564).
This is the former Norfolk and Western Railroad's CF Class Caboose #518-303. It was built at the N&W East End Shops in Roanoke, Virginia, in April 1922. The N&W did not serve Bowie but did enter Maryland at Hagerstown. After nearly fifty years of . . . — Map (db m65394) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Abraham Lincoln
On Fort Lincoln Cemetery Road 0.3 miles south of Bladensburg Road.
This statue of the Great Emancipator portrays in his last days the thin, tired, war-worn president in thoughtful and deep meditation and is considered one of the finest bronze statues ever made of President Lincoln. It was created by one of . . . — Map (db m17479) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Second Line FallsStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
On Bladensburg Road (U.S. 1) at 38th Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Bladensburg Road. Reported missing.
The Second of three defensive lines blocking the British advance on Washington stretched along here. It was located on the first set of hills overlooking the river. The American militia was unprepared to face seasoned war veterans. Holding firm . . . — Map (db m73131) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — The Lincoln Oak
Near Bladensburg Road (Maryland Route 450) 0.2 miles west of 38th Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
This gnarled and ringed stump, attesting to its age, is all that remains of the majestic oak tree that once shaded the old Spring House. Steeped in history, it was put to rest by the forces of nature. Its passing will never be forgotten and its . . . — Map (db m5071) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fort Washington — Capital GuardianThe First Fort
Near Fort Washington Road, on the right when traveling south.
Troubles with Britain caused Congress in 1807 to authorize an improved system of forts along the Atlantic Coast to guard harbors, rivers, and seaports. The first fort, Fort Warburton, was completed in 1809. Located near the river in front of the . . . — Map (db m7980) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fort Washington — Capital GuardianThe Endicott System
On Fort Washington Road, on the right when traveling south.
Coastal fortifications moved into the 20th century with the development of the Endicott System. At Fort Washington, eight reinforced concrete batteries were constructed near the old fort to mount modern artillery. Many support buildings were erected . . . — Map (db m46176) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fort Washington — Water Battery
Near Fort Washington Road, on the right when traveling south.
Construction of this inverted V-shaped outerwork began in 1814. Traces of its shape are visible today. Surrounded by a dry ditch, the Water Battery mounted 24-pounder guns that provided an additional level of firepower to the fort. The Water . . . — Map (db m8061) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Laurel — Dinosaur Alley
Near Mid Atlantic Blvd..
Dinosaurs lived during most of the Mesozoic Era (235 to 65 million years ago), on every continent on Earth. In Maryland, each of three Mesozoic time periods in which dinosaurs live is represented in its geology -- Triassic, Jurassic, and Cretaceous. . . . — Map (db m67139) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Oxon Hill — The Capture of AlexandriaOxon Cove Park
On Oxon Hill Farm Trail west of Bald Eagle Road, on the right when traveling west.
It was indeed a day and night of horrors, the fleet … lay directly before our house.Mary DeButts, writing to her sister Millicent on March 18, 1815. From this farm, Mary DeButts saw a small fleet on . . . — Map (db m48959) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Oxon Hill — The DeButts Family Comes to Maryland - Mount Welby — [Oxon Hill Farm]
Near Oxon Hill Farm Hiker Trail near Bald Eagle Road, on the left when traveling west.
[Panel 1:] The DeButts Family Comes to Maryland Samuel DeButts was born in Ireland in 1756. He began a career as a doctor in England and there met and married his wife, Mary Welby, in 1785. Samuel’s medical practice was difficult, . . . — Map (db m49056) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Oxon Hill — War All AroundStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
On Oxon Hill Farm Road.
Perched above the Potomac River, Mount Welby was nearly surrounded by the war in August 1814. Mary Welby DeButts describes hearing “every fire” from the Battle of Bladensburg and how the house was illuminated by fires in Washington. She . . . — Map (db m80061) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Upper Marlboro — Archbishop John Carroll1735 - 1815
On Main Street at West Court Drive on Main Street.
Ardent patriot and champion of religious freedom. Born in Upper Marlborough on this site. First Catholic bishop of the United States. Founder of Georgetown University. — Map (db m33021) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Upper Marlboro — William Beanes
On Governor Oden Bowie Drive at Elm Street, on the right when traveling east on Governor Oden Bowie Drive.
Within these walls rest the remains of William Beanes, 1749 - 1828, Prince George's County physician, planter, patriot. Served on the Committee of Prince Georgians to carry into effect the resolutions adopted by the First Continental Congress. . . . — Map (db m70125) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Hollywood — Tobacco's Impact
Near Sotterley Lane.
Tobacco farming dramatically changed Southern Maryland's natural environment by depleting the rich soils of nutrients. In the 18th and 19th centuries, farmers rotated fields, introduced fertilizers and guano (bat dung), and employed deeper plowing . . . — Map (db m62613) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — War Comes to Breton BayTudor Hall — Grand Home of Maryland Patriots
On Key Way at Tudor Hall Road, on the left when traveling south on Key Way.
In 1812, our young Nation went to war against what was then the mightiest sea power on earth - Great Britain. It has been suggested that what Americans call the War of 1812 was instead the "American Theater" of the very first wrold war when France . . . — Map (db m17428) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Maryland and the Confederacy
On Maryland Route 5.
The U.S. Government, located in Washington D.C. was surrounded by Maryland and Virginia. Since Virginia had already joined the Confederacy, it was critical in the survival of the Union that Maryland not be allowed to secede. The State was quickly . . . — Map (db m60278) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Inigoes — The Manor of Cornwaleys’ Cross
On Point Lookout Road (U.S. 5) at Villa Road, on the right when traveling south on Point Lookout Road.
2000 acres granted Sept. 8th, 1639 to Thomas Cornwaleys who came to Maryland with “The Ark and The Dove.” He and Jerome Hawley were appointed “His Lordship’s Commissioners for the government of said Province” 1633 with . . . — Map (db m977) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Inigoes — The Tulip Disaster
Near Cross Manor Road.
On November 11, 1864, U.S.S. Tulip converted lighthouse tender gunboat, acting master William H. Smith, U.S. Navy commanding, departed this area for Washington for boiler repair. When off Piney Point, she blew up and sank, presumably . . . — Map (db m62177) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — Entrance to First State House of Maryland
Near Trinity Church Road.
In Memory of Thomas Harris Who with his Wife, Anne, Settled on Grant called Land of Harris In Charles Co. MD, Aug, 30, 1650 Founder of the Harris Family of Southern Maryland Some of Whom Served the State with Distinction in . . . — Map (db m80353) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St Michaels — Tolchester BandstandChesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
On Mill Street.
On this Victorian bandstand, musicians played for holiday visitors at Tolchester Beach, in Kent County. In the mid 1800s people from Baltimore and other Mid-Atlantic cities traveled to Tolchester Beach and other Eastern Shore destinations on . . . — Map (db m62939) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Trappe — Nathaniel HopkinsSoldier from Trappe
On Main Street (Maryland Route 565) at Barber Road, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
This was the home of Nathaniel Hopkins, known affectionately in Talbot County as "Uncle Nace." He was born a slave near here in 1831. After leaving his owner, Percy McKnett, and serving in the United States Colored Troops during the Civil War, . . . — Map (db m3332) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Maurice Edward Frock1899-1918
Near West Memorial Boulevard at South Potomac Street.
Frock enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps in 1916. During World War I, he served in France with the 5th Marine Regiment. In June, 1918, he was detached from his company to serve at battalion headquarters. Frock earned two silver star medals for . . . — Map (db m107259) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Ransom of Hagerstown
On West Washington Street (U.S. 40) at Summit Avenue, on the right when traveling east on West Washington Street.
This courthouse was built in 1873, replacing the courthouse that stood at this site during the Civil War. In 1864, Confederate General John McCausland met with town officials and the directors of the Hagerstown Bank in the court clerk's office to . . . — Map (db m20848) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — William McKinley
On Old Burnside Bridge Road, on the left when traveling south.
(Front): William McKinley January 29, 1843 - September 14, 1901 (Rear): Fourteen Years Member of Congress Twice Governor of Ohio 1892-3 and 1894-5 Twice President of United States 1897-1900 and 1901. Sergeant McKinley . . . — Map (db m6798) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — The Great Salisbury Fire
On Main Street at Division Street, on the left when traveling east on Main Street.
On October 17, 1886 a small fire was discovered at Toadvine's Livery Stable on Dock Street, now Market Street. Fire spread very rapidly and eventually consumed 200 buildings including most of the commerical district. Soon after the fire began, . . . — Map (db m3860) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Boston — John Quincy Adams
On Boylston Street, on the right when traveling east.
. . . — Map (db m56643) HM
New Hampshire (Hillsborough County), Hillsborough — 065 — Pierce Homestead
On Second New Hampshire Turnpike (New Hampshire Route 31) 0.1 miles north of West Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
The Pierce Homestead was built in 1804 by Benjamin Pierce, a general in the American Revolution, twice governor of New Hampshire (1827-28, 1829-30), and father of Franklin Pierce, the 14th President of the United States (1853-57). Franklin Pierce . . . — Map (db m83659) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Mount Laurel — Alice Stokes PaulWomen's Heritage Trail
On Hooten Avenue 0.2 miles west of Moorestown-Mount Laurel Road, on the left when traveling west.
Alice Stokes Paul (1885-1977) was born and spent her childhood years in this farmhouse, Paulsdale. She grew up in a Quaker family with a tradition of activism in education and public service and a strong belief in equality. Alice Paul dedicated her . . . — Map (db m35780) HM
New Mexico (Rio Arriba County), El Rito — Welcome to the Church of San Juan Nepomuceno
On State Road 554 near Placitas Road (State Road 215).
This historical church was begun by the first Spanish settlers of the El Rito Valley in 1827 and completed in 1832. Originally flat roofed and with small window openings in the 5 ft. thick walls, it not only served as an imposing temple, but also as . . . — Map (db m64977) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hillsdale — NY-30/MA-1 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
On New York State Route 71, on the right when traveling south.
New York Side:Through this place passed Gen. Henry Knox in the winter of 1775-1776 to deliver to Gen. George Washington at Cambridge the train of artillery from Fort Ticonderoga used to force the British Army to evacuate Boston Erected by . . . — Map (db m24006) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan — Theodore Roosevelt Birthplace
On East 20th Street east of Broadway, on the right when traveling east.
President Theodore Roosevelt was born here on October 27, 1858, and lived here until he was 15. The house, a typical brownstone of the 1840s, was restored in 1923 and opened as a museum. — Map (db m40150) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Edna St. Vincent Millay1892 – 1950
On Bedford Street at Commerce Street on Bedford Street.
The irreverent poet, who wrote “my candle burns at both ends” lived here in 1923-24 at the time she wrote the “Ballad of the Harp-Weaver,” for which she won a Pulitzer Prize. — Map (db m57187) HM
New York (New York County), New York — George and Ira Gershwin
On West 75th Street at Riverside Drive, on the right when traveling west on West 75th Street.
George Gershwin 1898 - 1937 Ira Gershwin 1896 - 1983 The composer, and the lyricist, lived here between 1929–33, the years they wrote Broadway show Girl Crazy and, their political satires, Of Thee I Sing, and Let . . . — Map (db m98477) HM
New York (Rockland County), Sparkill — Gravesite of General John Charles Frémont1813 – 1890 — Explorer, Pathmarker, Mapper of the Oregon Trail
On Kings Highway, on the left when traveling east.
Atop Rockland Cemetery lies the grave of he whose exploration in the 1840s opened the way west for countless settlers, who issued the first Emancipation Proclamation and who saved the west for the Union in 1861. From the ashes of his campfires . . . — Map (db m8606) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Cur Non?
On Front Street at Governors Lane, on the right when traveling west on Front Street.
Cur Non! On June 11, 1825 Major General Marquis De Lafayette, Soldier, Statesman, Citizen of France And of the United States, Was the Guest of the Honorable Joseph C. Yates, Governor of The State . . . — Map (db m34319) HM
New York (Westchester County), Katonah — John Jay HomesteadState Historic Site
Near Jay Street (New York State Route 22) 0.1 miles from Beaver Dam Road, on the left when traveling south.
The United States’ first Chief Justice, Jay, retired here after drafting New York’s first constitution and serving as President of the Continental Congress and Minister to Spain. * Revolutionary War Heritage Trail Sites The Revolutionary . . . — Map (db m24699) HM
New York (Westchester County), Katonah — 2 — The Homestead FarmJohn Jay Homestead
Near Jay Street (New York State Route 22) 0.1 miles from Beaver Dam Road when traveling south.
This property has seen many changes. Over 2,200 years ago, Native Americans lived and hunted here. As the family’s tenanted farm in the 1700s, it produced wheat, rye, corn, and other grains. After Jay’s retirement and the development of the farm . . . — Map (db m24701) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — G-80 — Bennett Place
On Bennett Memorial Road at Neal Road, on the right when traveling south on Bennett Memorial Road.
Farm home of James Bennett, where Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston surrendered his army to Gen. William T. Sherman, April 26, 1865. Johnston’s surrender followed Lee’s at Appomattox by 17 days and ended the Civil War in the Carolinas, Georgia, . . . — Map (db m1495) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Theodore Roosevelt Memorial OakBorn October 27th, 1858 • Died January 6th, 1919
Near High Street south of Broad Street (U.S. 40), on the right.
This tree (a Scarlett Oak) was placed here by the Roosevelt National Living Memorial Association, as a living tribute to the great lover and defender of Country and Flag, and our youngest President of the United States—Theodore Roosevelt. . . . — Map (db m9866) HM
Ohio (Stark County), Canton — 6-76 — The McKinley National Memorial
On McKinley Monument Drive NW north of 7th Street NW.
William McKinley served the nation as president, the people of Ohio as governor, and the citizens of his congressional district as a representative. McKinley was shot by an assassin in Buffalo, New York, in September 1901 and died several days . . . — Map (db m67439) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Dwight D. Eisenhower1890-1969
Near Carlisle Street at West Stevens Street.
After leaving the White House in 1961, former President and Commanding General Dwight David Eisenhower retired to his permanent Gettysburg home. The adjacent building, located on the campus of Gettysburg College at 300 Carlisle Street, was used by . . . — Map (db m87973) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Braddock — Braddock's Spring
Near Braddock Avenue.
was located near this tablet. Here General Braddock was refreshed and the wounds bathed that he received in the Battle of Braddock's Defeat. July, 9, 1755, From these injuries he died July 13, 1755 ----------------- Erected 1917. . . . — Map (db m98945) HM
Pennsylvania (Luzerne County), Wilkes-Barre — George Catlin
On South River Street near South Street, on the right when traveling south.
The great painter of Indian portraits was born here July 26 1796 of Connecticut ancestry. Until 1823 he practiced law here and nearby. He began painting Indian pictures six years later. — Map (db m18590) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Commodore David Porter
On Woodland Avenue (Entrance to the Cemetery).
One of the most heroic sons of Pennsylvania having long represented the country with fidelity as Minister resident at Constantinople. Died at that city in the patriotic discharge of his duty. March 30,1843. — Map (db m81797) WM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Sullivans Island — Fort Moultrie
On Middle Street.
Military reservation Named in Honor of Col. William Moultrie who commanded Fort Sullivan (now Fort Moultrie) comprising the 2nd South Carolina Regiment of infantry and a detachment of the 4th South Carolina Regiment (Artillery) during the . . . — Map (db m19125) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — First Holiday Inn
On Summer Avenue 0.1 miles east of North Mendenhall Road, on the right when traveling east.
The world’s first Holiday Inn was opened on this site, August 1, 1952 by Memphis entrepreneur Kemmons Wilson as a result of his unsatisfactory lodging experiences on a vacation the prior summer with his wife Dorothy and their five children. He soon . . . — Map (db m63364) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 47 — Shelby County / Memphis
On Poplar Avenue (U.S. 72) east of Interstate 240, on the left when traveling east.
Shelby County Established 1819; named in honor of ISAAC SHELBY who, along with Andrew Jackson, was appointed United States Commissioner; together they arranged the purchase of the Western District from the Chickasaw Indian Nation . . . — Map (db m82859) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10721 — Site of Lubbock Ranch
Near Rockhill Street near Glencrest Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
Texas statesman Francis Richard Lubbock (1815-1905) owned a 1300-acre ranch near this site. A native of South Carolina, Lubbock came to Houston in 1837. He soon opened a general store and was a business, political and civic leader. He served as . . . — Map (db m50142) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), Woodstock — Hiram Powers
On Church Hill Road 0.1 miles south of Shurtleff Lane, on the left when traveling south.
Hiram Powers, one of the most famous nineteenth century sculptors, was born in 1805 in a farmhouse that stood on this hillside. Although he went west with his family at a young age, and took up residence in Florence, Italy, in 1837, Powers always . . . — Map (db m32221) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Contrabands and Freedmen Cemetery Memorial
On Church Street at South Columbus Street when traveling north on Church Street.
Seeking freedom and a chance to begin a new life thousands of African Americans fleeing slavery flooded Civil War-era Alexandria. The city was quickly overwhelmed, and as living conditions grew dire, many perished from disease and deprivation. In . . . — Map (db m86652) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Home of Elisha Cullen Dick(Born 1750 - Died 1825)
On Prince Street west of South Lee Street, on the right when traveling west.
Was consulting physician in Washington's last illness. At the moment of Washington's death he stopped the bedroom clock, which can be seen in Alexandria Washington Lodge, and conducted the Masonic Funeral service at his grave. — Map (db m71751) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Memorial PoolCasualties of Segregation
Near Wythe Street at North Patrick Street (U.S. 1), on the right when traveling west.
African Americans in Alexandria suffered, along with other of their race, when a segregated system prevented them from enjoying recreation facilities in their hometown. From 1926 to 1951, the city had a municipal pool for white residents only. . . . — Map (db m80843) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Oakland Baptist Church
Near West Braddock Road east of North Howard Street, on the right when traveling west.
Several residents of "The Fort" community were founders of the Oakland Baptist Church, which is located at the intersection of King Street and Braddock Road. The congregation started worshiping in a bush arbor as Oak Hill Baptist Mission in 1888 and . . . — Map (db m81185) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — Ronald Reagan
On Aviation Circle 0.4 miles north of Airport Access Road (Virginia Route 233), on the right when traveling north.
The statue of Ronald Wilson Reagan, 40th President of the United States from 1981-1989, is located northeast of this location at the driving entrance to Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport. In 1987, President Reagan's Secretary of . . . — Map (db m70983) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Fairfax County CourthouseWar on the Courthouse Grounds
Near Main Street (Virginia Route 236) near Chain Bridge Road (Virginia Route 123).
At different times, Union and Confederate forces occupied the Fairfax County Courthouse at this important crossroads. The flag of each side flew from its cupola during the war, and the building suffered damage. On April 25, 1861, the Fairfax . . . — Map (db m43134) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Clifton — Buckley Storec. 1900
On Main Street at Ford Lane, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
“From a pin to a plow” was the Buckley Brothers' motto for their general store which was the largest store between Alexandria and Front Royal at one time. Since the Clifton School did not own a scale, the scales in the store were used to . . . — Map (db m110135) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Clifton — Davis Buckley House1913
On Main Street north of Dell Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Built in 1913 for Lucy Virginia Davis Buckley, who lived here with her youngest daughter unti1 1923. It has been the home of two of Clifton's Mayors, W. Swem Elgin and James C. Chesley. Clifton's third elementary school (1895-1912) and the first . . . — Map (db m114077) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Clifton — Fulmer Brill Houseca. 1912
Near Dell Avenue south of Main Street, on the left when traveling south.
Owned by just two families before its first restoration in 2002 this house was built by J .M. Fulmer just one year after finishing a larger home on Chapel Street next to the Clifton Baptist Church. The Spring House in the front yard once provided . . . — Map (db m114528) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Clifton — Fulmer House
On Chapel Street near 12743 Chapel Street.
Built in 1910 by Clifton lumber merchant J. M. Fulmer. Two times mayor of Clifton, 1920 — 1924 and 1930 — 1936, Fulmer was known as the town strong man. This house is an excellent example of the Carpenter Gothic architectural syle . . . — Map (db m114196) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Clifton — The Fairfax HeraldJune 29, 1917
On Dell Avenue south of Main Street, on the left when traveling south.
“Mr. J.M. Fulmer was unfortunate enough to lose one of his horses, Saturday night. He had been plowing during the day and it is supposed that the horse drank too much water while warm.” This walking plow lay intact in the weeds . . . — Map (db m114530) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — Henry Fairfax
Near Fairfax Street.
In Memory of Henry Fairfax An upright magistrate A sincere Christian Died in command of The Fairfax Volunteers at Saltillo Mexico 1847 But for his munificence This church might still have been a ruin. Erected by the . . . — Map (db m77662) HM WM
Virginia, Falls Church — Jefferson Institute
On East Broad Street (State Highway 7), on the right when traveling west.
In 1875, citizens of newly chartered town subscribed to build school, as classes were held in Baptist Church, in 1880 Joseph Birch donated land (a part of 1837 24.5-acre Kidwell grant) specifying it always must be used for education. In 1882 . . . — Map (db m2856) HM
Virginia, Fredericksburg — Clara Barton
On George Street at Princess Anne Street, on the right when traveling east on George Street.
1862 - 1962 In Memory of Clara BartonFounder of the American Red Cross. A devoted nurse and tireless organizer who knew no enemy but the unfeeling heart. We walk the ways she took in easing the suffering at the Battle of Fredericksburg when the . . . — Map (db m14428) HM
Virginia (Loudoun County), Leesburg — Edward D. Baker
Near Ball’s Bluff Road, on the right when traveling east.
Colonel Baker is buried at the Presidio in San Francisco, California. This memorial stone was placed here to mark what was believed to be the location of Baker’s death and to honor the memory of the only U.S. Senator to have died on the field of . . . — Map (db m2237) HM
Virginia (Loudoun County), Leesburg — George Catlett Marshall
On East Market Street (Business State Highway 7) at Loudoun Street, on the right when traveling west on East Market Street.
(Left Side Plaque): George Catlett Marshall (1880-1959) Born Union Town, Pennsylvania, educated at Virginia Military Institute, class of 1901, serving in the United States Army thereafter, resident of Leesburg, Virginia, 1941 to 1959. . . . — Map (db m4962) HM
Virginia (Orange County), Locust Grove — Battle of the Wilderness
On Hill-Ewell Drive at Constitution Highway (Virginia Route 20), on the left when traveling south on Hill-Ewell Drive.
Here May 5, 6, 1864, 70,000 Confederates under Lee defeated 120,000 Federals under Grant. Confederate loss 11,500. Federal 18,000. This battle, fought with conspicuous bravery, in a Wilderness on fire, will take it’s place among the great battles of . . . — Map (db m6007) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Dumfries — Weems Botts Museum
On Fortuna Center Plaza near Dumfries Road (Virginia Route 234), on the right when traveling north.
The Weems-Botts House offers a fascinating history on Virginia’s oldest chartered town and two of the more colorful personalities to have lived here: the Rev. Mason Locke Weems and attorney Benjamin Botts. Weems, biographer of George Washington, was . . . — Map (db m5371) HM
Virginia (Rappahannock County), Huntly — Piedmont
On Skyline Drive 13.8 miles south of Stonewall Jackson Highway (U.S. 340), on the right when traveling north.
From here, looking east from the Blue Ridge crest, you see the Piedmont, a broad plain dotted with few low hills. Noting similarities to their European homeland, early settlers named this land "piedmonte," Italian meaning . . . — Map (db m74099) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Woodstock — The oldest business in WoodstockThe Shenandoah Valley-Herald
On North Main Street (U.S. 11) when traveling north.
Combining two of Virginia’s oldest weekly newspapers. Shenandoah Valley Est. 1806 – Woodstock Herald Est. 1817. — Map (db m117602) HM
Virginia, Staunton — Birthplace of Woodrow Wilson
On E Frederick Street, on the left when traveling west.
Commemorating the Birthplace of Woodrow Wilson this enclosing wall and garden laid out as of the period of 1846 – 1857 is dedicated by the Garden Club of Virginia — Map (db m58784) HM
Virginia, Winchester — A View of Winchester in 1745 - The Four Public Lots
On North Loudoun Street at East Boscawan Street, on the right when traveling north on North Loudoun Street.
Winchester, originally known as Frederick Town, was officially founded in 1744 by Col. James Wood. It was the first British town established west of the Blue Ridge mountains and in believed to have looked something like this. These four public lots . . . — Map (db m26873) HM
Virginia, Winchester — Little-Holiday House137 West Boscawen Street
On West Boscawen Street (U.S. 50) east of South Washington Street, on the right when traveling east.
This beautiful stone home was built in 1800 by James Little (1769-1834), a local merchant, and remained in this family until 1853. It was purchased in 1860 by Robert Holiday (1809-1893), a leader in the Lutheran Church. His sister, Helen Holliday . . . — Map (db m91883) HM
Virginia, Winchester — Thomas, Sixth Lord Fairfax of Cameron
Near West Boscawen Street.
Under this spot repose the remains of Thomas, Sixth Lord Fairfax of Cameron Son of Thomas, Fifth Lord Fairfax and Cathrine Culpeper, his wife. Born at Leeds Castle, County Kent, England, October 22, 1693, Died at his proprietary . . . — Map (db m91900) HM
West Virginia (Jefferson County), Charles Town — Site of the Execution of John Brown
Near South Samuel Street just south of Hunter Street, on the left when traveling south.
Site of the execution on Dec. 2, 1859, of John Brown, leader of the raid at Harper’s Ferry. — Map (db m62250) HM
West Virginia (Jefferson County), Shepherdstown — Elmwood Cemetery“ . . . and yet the cry was for more room.”
On S. Duke Street, on the right when traveling south.
On Wednesday, September 17, 1862, twelve-year-old Mary Bedinger, asleep at her home Poplar Grove outside Shepherdstown, was awakened by the roar of cannons. Confederate and Union forces in position near Sharpsburg, Maryland, just across the Potomac . . . — Map (db m41694) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), Glen Dale — Harriet B. Jones(b. 3 June 1856; d. 28 June 1943)
On Wheeling Avenue (West Virginia Route 2) at 1st Street, on the right when traveling north on Wheeling Avenue.
Born 3 June 1856, in 1885 was first licensed woman physician in state; opened private practice then hospital in Wheeling, 1892. Jones was active in temperance and women's suffrage; and promoted establishment of state sanitariums in Terra Alta & . . . — Map (db m57247) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Independence HallBeginning of Statehood — The First Campaign
On 16th Street (West Virginia Route 2) east of Market Street, on the right when traveling west.
This building, erected as a Federal customs house in 1859, is known as West Virginia Independence Hall. Considered the birthplace of West Virginia, it is the site of a series of events that led to the state’s creation in 1863. In spring and . . . — Map (db m34566) HM
West Virginia (Wayne County), Kenova — Ceredo - Kenova
On Chestnut Street (U.S. 60) at Virginia Point Drive, on the right on Chestnut Street.
Ceredo - Founded in 1857 by Eli Thayer of Massachusetts, an Abolition leader, in his plan to create sentiment against slavery in western states. Kenova - named for the meeting place of three states, Kentucky, Ohio, and West Virginia. — Map (db m35202) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 206 — Carl Sandburg Hall
On Maryland Avenue 0.2 miles from East Hartford Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Carl Sandburg (1878-1967), poet, balladeer, biographer of Lincoln, soldier in the Spanish-American War, came from Illinois to Wisconsin in December 1907 as a state organizer for the Social-Democratic party in eastern Wisconsin. After marrying . . . — Map (db m32619) HM

2628 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 2428
Paid Advertisement