Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Submitted by Allen C. Browne

2494 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 2094
 
Sangster’s Station Marker image, Touch for more information
By Allen C. Browne, November 14, 2017
Sangster’s Station Marker
New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Welshpool — President Franklin Delano Roosevelt1933 - 1945
The Great Depression 1929-1941 The depression was world-wide. In the U.S., the banking system collapsed and 12.8 million people were unemployed. Hardest hit were youth, minorities, the elderly, and workers in the consumer durables industries. . . . — Map (db m54783) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Sheffield — President Franklin Delano Roosevelt
On Jan. 21, 1933 President-elect Franklin Delano Roosevelt addressed an immense crowd at this crossing from his railroad car and promised "to put Muscle Shoals back on the map." He then toured the idle U.S. Nitrate Plant No. 2 and Wilson Dam with . . . — Map (db m83392) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Cabrillo’s Ships
The first three sailing vessels to enter San Diego Bay came from the direction you are facing. They were the San Salvador, the Victoria and the San Miguel - Spanish vessels commanded by Juan Rodriquez Cabrillo. The San . . . — Map (db m15439) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 65 — The Whaley House
Built by Thomas Whaley in 1856-57, this is the oldest brick structure in Southern California. In addition to being the home of the Whaley Family, it served variously as granary, store, courthouse and school, and as the town’s first theater. Whaley’s . . . — Map (db m11645) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Compton's Cafeteria Riot - 1966Uptown Tenderloin — Lost Landmarks
One August evening in 1966, transgender women and gay men banded together to fight back against oppression after a police officer harassed one of them at Gene Compton's Cafeteria. This confrontation was the first known full-scale riot for . . . — Map (db m90982) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Gene Compton's Cafeteria Riot 1966
Here marks the site of Gene Compton's Cafeteria where a riot took place one August night when transgender women and gay men stood up for their rights and fought against police brutality, poverty, oppression and discrimination in the Tenderloin. . . . — Map (db m91015) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Hotel Wintonc. 1907
This Building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m91065) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Meriden — Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln In Search of the Nomination for the Presidency Addressed a Rally in the Town Hall of Meriden – March 7, 1860 " – and that government of the people, by the people and for the people, Shal not perish from . . . — Map (db m27288) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Life Saving StationLewes Maritime History Trail
The United States Life Saving Service (U.S.L.S.S.) was commissioned to rescue shipwrecked mariners along our nation's coast. Established in 1876 and 1884, repectively, the Cape Henlopen and Lewes stations worked together to save thousands . . . — Map (db m38472) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), south of Dewey Beach — SC-148 — Indian River Life-Saving Station
With the expansion of the nation’s maritime commerce following the Civil War, the need for improved methods of assisting ships in distress was apparent. Built in 1876 by the United States Life-Saving Service, the Indian River Life-Saving Station was . . . — Map (db m37068) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — Embassy of the Republic of PolandA Beaux-Arts Beauty — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail
You are now standing in front of the longest-serving embassy building among Washington DC's more than 180 diplomatic missions: the Embassy of the Republic of Poland. Renowned architect George Oakley Totten designed the building for Mary Foote . . . — Map (db m83344) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 15 — For the ChildrenTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail
From 1927 until the late 1950s, the landscaped grounds across the street were the Hillcrest Children’s Center. It was founded downtown in 1814 as the Washington City Orphan Asylum by Marcia Burnes Van Ness and President Madison’s wife Dolley. The . . . — Map (db m80468) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — 9 — A Museum for the CommunityAn East-of-the-River View — Anacostia Heritage Trail
Across the street is the former Carver Theatre, built in 1948 as the first nonsegregated movie house in Southeast Washington. It closed in 1957 becoming, in turn, a roller rink, a church, and a funeral parlor. Then a decade later, a museum . . . — Map (db m100824) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — 12 — The Big ChairAn East-of-the-River View — Anacostia Heritage Trail
This Anacostia icon once marked the entrance to Curtis Brothers Furniture Co. The business dated to 1926, when young Fred and George Curtis acquired a Model T Ford truck to deliver ice, then progressed to moving furniture. They soon rented a . . . — Map (db m100690) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — 18 — A Streetcar Named BrightwoodBattleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail
The Large Structure across Georgia Avenue opened in 1909 as a "car barn" for the Brightwood Railway. The facility could service more than 40 streetcars at once, and often did so late at night. As a young boy in the 1950s, Thomas Reardon . . . — Map (db m72831) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — 17 — Aunt Betty's StoryBattleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail
Elizabeth Proctor Thomas (1821-1917), a free Black woman whose image appears on each Brightwood Heritage Trail sign, once owned 11 acres in this area. Known, respectfully in her old age as "Aunt Betty," Thomas and her husband James farmed and kept . . . — Map (db m72830) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — Lincoln Under Fire at Fort Stevens
July 12, 1864. — Map (db m901) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — 15 of 19 — College HillCultural Convergence — Columbia Heights Heritage Trail
Wayland Seminary opened in Foggy Bottom just after the Civil War to train formerly enslaved people and others as “preachers and teachers for the South” and as missionaries to evangelize Africa. In 1875 it moved here, later merging with . . . — Map (db m23947) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — 14 — Pitts Motor HotelCultural Convergence — Columbia Heights Heritage Trail
The Pitts Motor Hotel, formerly located at 1451 Belmont Street, lingers in memory for two reasons. In the 1960s it was a gathering place of Civil Rights movement leaders. Later it became a "welfare hotel." In March 1968 the Reverend Dr. Martin . . . — Map (db m63706) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — Fleeing the Executive MansionStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
On August 24, 1814, President James Madison rode out to Bladensburg, Maryland, to observe the state of the American troops defending the nation's capital. U.S. General William Winder, now sure of the direction of the British approach, marched . . . — Map (db m87590) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Kalorama Triangle — McClellan Memorial
. . . — Map (db m30048) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Kingman Park — In Memory of Eastern High School Alumni
In Memory of Eastern High School Alumni Who Died For Humanity Spanish American War World War — Map (db m114912) WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Mount Pleasant — 5 of 17 — Avenue of ChurchesVillage in the City — Mount Pleasant Heritage Trail
To Your Left is Canaan Baptist Church. Its relocation here from Georgia Avenue in 1963 was the fulfillment of pastor Rev. M. Cecil Mills's dream to preside over the first African American church on this avenue of churches. The congregation . . . — Map (db m111872) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Mount Pleasant — 4 of 17 — Sacred Heart AcademyVillage in the City — Mount Pleasant Heritage Trail
Set back from the Street at 1621 Park Road, to your left, is an elegant old house, once the all-girls Sacred Heart Academy. The Sinsinawa Dominican Sisters of Wisconsin founded the Academy in 1905 and went on to operate it with Sacred Heart . . . — Map (db m68719) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Penn Quarter — Frederick Douglass 1817 - 1895The Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
A Famed orator and writer Frederick Douglass was also a key architect of the movement that ended slavery, the very institution into which he was born. Even after his goal to abolish slavery was achieved, Douglass persisted in his struggle for . . . — Map (db m92084) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Penn Quarter — The Great Seal of the United States
In 1776 the Continental Congress adopted a resolution calling for the creation of a seal for the new nation. In June 1782 the United States Congress approved a design which was manufactured in September of that year. In early 1881 the Department of . . . — Map (db m91999) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Shaw — Edward Kennedy “Duke” Ellington1899-1974 — Born. Washington, DC
Duke Ellington is among the world's most prolific composers and musicians. As a bandleader and pianist, Ellington led several Jazz orchestras with a musical career that spanned over fifty years. ENCORE, ©2012, Zachary Oxman Commissioned and the . . . — Map (db m87838) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Sheridan-Kalorama — Eleftherios Venizelos1864-1936
Liberal Politician, Statesman, Social Reformer One of the most prominent Greek and European Leaders of the 20th Century. He marked the modernization of Greece with his political initiatives — Map (db m39924) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — Houseboats on the Waterfront
Preparations for World War II ended plans of filling the Southwest yacht basins with pleasure crafts. Instead, a severe housing shortage during the war turned the waterfront into a home for houseboats, providing an obvious alternative for the many . . . — Map (db m109983) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — Potomac River Shoreline
The two-mile-long harbor known as the Washington Channel was established during a massive reclamation effort in the 1880’s, creating Potomac Park and the adjacent Tidal Basin. — Map (db m109730) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — John Paul Jones MemorialNational Mall & Memorial Parks, Washington, D.C.
"Every officer in our navy should know by heart the deeds of John Paul Jones," President Theodore Roosevelt. The American Revolution [Portrait of] John Paul Jones, 1747-1742 A bold captain--fearless even when facing the superior . . . — Map (db m17764) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Scurlock Studio Site900 U Street, NW — African American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC
Addison Scurlock (1883-1964) was the photographer of black Washington, specializing in dignified portraiture. In 1911 he opened a studio at 900 U Street (just west of the building of that address erected in 1999). The Scurlock Studio photographed . . . — Map (db m109162) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Woodley Park — Harry Wardman
The name Harry Wardman (1872 - 1938) is practically synonymous with Woodley Park, having built numerous houses and apartments in the neighborhood. Wardman built his own home on the corner of Connecticut Avenue and Woodley Road in 1909. He later . . . — Map (db m87503) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Woodley Park — Mihran Mesrobian
Woodley Park’s most prolific architect, Mihran Mesrobian (1889-1975) started his career as a palace architect in Constantinople during the twilight of the Turkish sultans. The Turkish-born Beaux-Arts trained Armenian worked on the restoration of . . . — Map (db m87506) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Woodley Park — Woodley Estate
The neighborhood of Woodley Park owes its name to the Woodley estate of Philip Barto Key (1767-1815). Key, uncle of Francis Scott Key, who wrote “Star Spangled Banner”, was an officer on the British side during the Revolutionary War. He . . . — Map (db m87469) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Althea GibsonBarrier Breaker — Jackie Robinson Ballpark & Museum
Althea Gibson Overcame Unbelievable Odds To Achieve International Acclaim And Success. Her Journey From The Violent Streets Of Harlem To The Royal Courts Of Wimbledon Reveals Strength Of Character And Her Remarkable Composure In The Face Of . . . — Map (db m105789) HM
Illinois (Clark County), Marshall — Old Stone Arch Bridge
This Bridge was completed by Army Engineers sometime between 1834 and 1837 as part of the Old National Road, between Cumberland, Maryland and Vandalia, Illinois, was authorized by the enabling act of 1803 and was the Nation's first federally . . . — Map (db m71127) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Catherine and Jean-Baptiste Point du SableFur traders and farmers — Chicago Tribute
Considered the founders of Chicago, Catherine (1756 - 1809) and Jean Baptiste (1745 - 1818) Point du Sable established a fur trading post on this site in the 1770s or early 1780s, approximately a half century before Chicago was incorporated. This . . . — Map (db m99739) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Jane Addams' Hull-House and Dining HallSettlement active from 1889 to 1963
Here, in 1899, Jane Addams and Ellen Gates Starr started what became the most influential social settlement in America. It eventually consisted of several buildings around this house which had been built in 1856 by Charles Hull. The Dining Hall and . . . — Map (db m61819) HM
Illinois (Lee County), Dixon — Reagan Way
Hennepin Avenue was often walked by a young Ronald Reagan from home to downtown and back. The street has four landmark institutions that played a vital role in the development of his character. They include the boyhood home, the grade school, now . . . — Map (db m78280) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Here, Abraham Lincoln Said
Here, Feb 11, 1861, Abraham Lincoln, on his way to Washington to assume the Presidency, in an address said “I appeal to you to constantly bear in mind that not with politicians, not with presidents, not with office-seekers, but with you is the . . . — Map (db m3809) HM
Iowa (Cedar County), West Branch — The Herbert Hoover Highway
This site is along the original route of the Herbert Hoover Highway, a 42-mile series of local, state and county roads that run between the foot of Old Capitol in Iowa City and the Cedar County community of Lowden. The Hoover Highway was designated . . . — Map (db m76108) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — 1849 — Zachary Taylor Home
Col. Richard Taylor of Va., veteran of French and Indian War and the Revolution, built original part of "Springfield" ca. 1790. Boyhood home of son "Old Rough and Ready" Zachary Taylor (1784-1850), veteran of 1812 and Black Hawk wars. Mex. War hero . . . — Map (db m100859) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The Original Teddy Bear
According to a famous story, a Louisiana Black Bear was the inspiration for the first “teddy bear.” In 1902, President Theodore “Teddy” Roosevelt was hunting in Louisiana and Mississippi. The hunt went on for days without . . . — Map (db m117201) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Kentwood — Thirty-First Parallel
N. boundary of Tangipahoa Parish. Line established by Pinckney Treaty, Oct. 27, 1795, dividing southern United States and Spanish West Florida. Recognized U.S. claim dating back to American Revolution, 1783. — Map (db m92167) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Col. Thomas Cresap
In Memory of Col. Thomas Cresap Pathfinder - Pioneer - Patriot - Built the first home and fort in this county at Oldtown, about 1740 Surveyed the first trail to the west, starting near this spot in 1751 His Sons - - - Daniel Cresap for whom . . . — Map (db m17778) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Fort Severn and the United States Naval Academy
. . . — Map (db m66415) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Mexican War Midshipmen's MonumentMexican War Monument
[Southwest side of Monument]: To passed Midshipmen H. A. Clemson. and J. R. Hynson lost with the U. S. Brig Somers off Vera Cruz Dec. 8th, 1846 [Northeast side of Monument]: To Midshipmen J. W. Pillsbury. and T. . . . — Map (db m66330) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Markers on the PlazaMichelson and the Speed of Light
The Markers on the Plaza paving follow the line of sight for the optical experiments measuring the speed of light carried out by Ensign Albert A. Michelson, USN between 1877 and 1879 while serving as instructor of physics at the United States Naval . . . — Map (db m66014) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Bernard von Kapff
Bernard von Kapff (1770-1829) put his stamp on early Baltimore as a merchant, public figure and leader of the German community. A native of Detmold in northern Germany, von Kapff established a tobacco importing business in 1795, and later joined . . . — Map (db m6649) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Cistern and Well
Fort McHenry was surrounded by water, but none of it was fit to drink. In the early years, soldiers rowed into Baltimore to fill casks with fresh well water. They also collected rainwater from the barracks' roofs in a cistern located in this corner . . . — Map (db m66631) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Grace and St. Peter's Church
Built for Grace Church in 1852, this was one of the first Gothic Revival churches in the South to use Connecticut brownstone. St. Peter's Church, founded in 1802, and Grace Church, founded in 1850, were united in 1912. This union is symbolized by . . . — Map (db m6013) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Local Hero, National Leader
Sam Smith is the most important public figure buried at Westminster. A hero in two wars, Smith (1752-1839) spent 40 years as a U.S. Congressman and Senator. As a merchant, Smith amassed and lost a fortune, but won the admiration of locals who, in . . . — Map (db m6650) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Md. Prince Hall Masons
"The Md. Prince Hall Masons acquired this Temple from the congregation of Oheb Shalom, November 1960, built by them in 1891." Williard W. Allen, Grand Master Emeritus Samuel T. Daniels, Grand Master — Map (db m6551) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Avalon — Iron Builds America
When European settlers discovered the Patapsco Valley, they found a source of untamed beauty rich in resources. Susquehannock and Pscataway Indians hunted and fished the valley full of elk, black bear, bison, gray wolves and deer. The white settlers . . . — Map (db m8840) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Dundalk — Defenders HonoredStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
The excitement was palpable as crowds gathered here September 12, 1839, to mark the 25th anniversary of the Battle of North Point. Officials laid the cornerstone for a memorial to the citizens-soldiers who defended Baltimore against British attack . . . — Map (db m79749) WM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Dundalk — General Robert Ross
At this spot, on September 12, 1814, General Robert Ross died. He had been mortally wounded in conflict approximately 1-1/2 miles northwest of here, at the present site of the Aquila Randall monument, and carried by stretcher to this point. He was . . . — Map (db m21373) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Sparrows Point — A Heavy PriceStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
Private Bernard Todd paid dearly for having his home used for military purposes. When the British threatened Baltimore in 1813, it was headquarters for American troops who guarded the Patapsco Neck. Todd’s property also served as a signal house and . . . — Map (db m80869) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Captain Charles Ridgely1733-1790 — Patriot
Builder of Hampton and owner Northampton Iron Works. Supplier to American Revolutionary Forces. — Map (db m78632) HM WM
Maryland (Calvert County), Chesapeake Beach — Chesapeake Beach Railway Station
This Property has Been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior This railroad station, erected in 1898-1899, is the original eastern terminus of the Chesapeake Beach Railway. . . . — Map (db m109617) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — “We Must Have Done Them Considerable Damage”Captain Joshua Barney June 11, 1814 — First Battle of St. Leonard Creek
After encountering superior British naval forces, Commodore Barney retreated into the relative safety of St. Leonard Creek, which was easily defendable because of its narrow entrance and high banks. One June 8th, 9th, and 10th, the British sent wave . . . — Map (db m81004) WM
Maryland (Carroll County), New Windsor — Birthplace of American MethodismRobert Strawbridge † 1781
The Pioneer Preacher of American Methodism purchased from John England, Sr. this house and farm March 2, 1773. A part of England's Chance and Brother's Inheritance, on which he had lived for 13 years since his coming to American 1760. Here he . . . — Map (db m81102) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Perryville — PerryvilleOne Week After the War Began
On April 18-19, 1861, a week after the bombardment of Fort Sumter, South Carolina, Confederate sympathizers attacked U.S. Army forces en route to Washington in Baltimore, 35 miles southwest of here. On the second day shots were fired and soldiers . . . — Map (db m1484) HM
Maryland (Charles County), La Plata — La Plata Elementary School
Destroyed by a tornado on November 9, 1926. Thirteen pupils and four townspeople lost their lives and approximately thirty-five were injured. The school stood 433 feet northwest of this site on a rise in a residential area near the junction of . . . — Map (db m39522) HM
Maryland (Charles County), Port Tobacco — Rose Hill
Home of Miss Olivia Floyd, Confederate agent, and her brother Robert Semmes Floyd, C.S.A. killed in action. Both are buried in St. Ignatius Church Yard two miles south. — Map (db m39523) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Bucktown — Finding Freedom
The Call of Freedom In the mid-19th century, 8,000 African Americans lived in Dorchester County. Roughly half were slaves; most of the rest worked as free laborers. Enslaved blacks, free blacks, and abolitionist whites worked together to . . . — Map (db m3959) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Cambridge — John F. Kennedy
Dedicated to the memory of John F. Kennedy, 35th President of the United States who on this spot May 14, 1960, addressed the people of Dorchester County. "Ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country." — Map (db m73050) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Cambridge — World War I Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of those men of Dorchester County who made the supreme sacrifice in the World War. — Map (db m66630) WM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Taylors Island — Chapel of Ease Old Trinity Episcopal ChurchCirca 1707
In the selection of the middle point between the Atlantic Ocean and the Chesapeake Bay for the start of the Mason-Dixon Line survey, this area was the center of a long controversy among British, Maryland and Pennsylvania officials as to whether . . . — Map (db m4043) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Taylors Island — TrappedStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Local militia attacked a British raiding party whose vessel was icebound near James Island February 7, 1815. Protected by a breastwork of ice, the Americans continued firing until the crew of 20 surrendered.

The two-hour skirmish, the . . . — Map (db m78799) WM

Maryland (Dorchester County), Woolford — Anna Ella CarrollUnofficial Cabinet Member
Anna Ella Carroll was born on Maryland's Eastern Shore in 1815. Often called an unofficial member of President Abraham Lincoln's cabinet, she was a Unionist author and newspaper reporter who had traveled extensively throughout the South and Midwest . . . — Map (db m45304) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Clustered Spires of Frederick
John Greenleaf Whittier immortalized Barbara Fritchie and the town of Frederick in his poem about the elderly Frederick resident who supposedly displayed the Union flag as Southern soldiers marched by on September 10, 1862. On July 9, 1864, . . . — Map (db m3290) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Francis Scott KeyUnited Daughters of 1812
The National Society United Daughters of 1812 State Presidents and Charter Members April 5, 1979 Pay this tribute to Francis Scott Key Author of Our National Anthem ⟵·⟶ “Then Conquer We Must When . . . — Map (db m104602) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Home of Chief Justice Roger Brooke Taney
Home of Chief Justice Roger Brooke Taney and his wife Anne Key -- Erected by Frederick Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1938 — Map (db m2821) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Old Freight Depot
“The old freight depot, which is the oldest in the world, is in a perfect state of preservation, though long in disuse… The old building stands as a monument of the commercial industries of the world.” - Book of the Royal Blue, 1899 — Map (db m103750) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — One Vast Hospital
“Figuratively speaking, this city is one vast hospital, and yet hundreds of poor fellows continue to arrive who have their wounds attended to, and away they go, uncomplaining.” — Philadephia Inquirer September 25, 1862 — Map (db m97817) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — The Battle That Saved Washington
The Battle of Monocacy took place on July 9, 1864, in the valley before you. The battle pitted North against South, and Washington, D.C., was the prize. Richmond and Petersburg were endangered, but the Southern leader, General Robert E. Lee had . . . — Map (db m3292) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Middletown — Main's Ice Cream Factory
This lot began as a log structure blacksmith shop owned by Thomas Powell in the early 1800's. In 1882, Calvin Coblentz and Millard Cook took, ownership, adding the Coblentz and Cook Meat Market to the existing structure. In 1899, the blacksmith shop . . . — Map (db m107326) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Granstville — Castleman’s River Bridge(Formerly "Little Youghiogeny")
Erected 1813 by David Shriver, Jr., Sup't of the "Cumberland Road" (The National Road). This 80 foot span was the largest stone arch in America at the time. It was continuously used from 1813 to 1933. — Map (db m100) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — Garrett Memorial Church(St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church)
Directly behind you, John W. Garrett built Garrett Memorial Church in 1869 as a memorial to his brother Henry S. Garrett who died in 1867. The site was originally chosen by his brother for a church, but he died before steps could be taken to build . . . — Map (db m467) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — Gettysburg CampaignInvasion & Retreat
After stunning victories at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, Virginia, early in May 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee carried the war through Maryland, across the Mason and Dixon Line and into Pennsylvania. His infantry marched north through . . . — Map (db m484) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Havre de Grace Racetrack
In operation from 1912 to 1950 and nicknamed “The Graw.” The Harford Agricultural and Breeders Association racetrack was one of four one-mile thoroughbred racecouses in Maryland and reflected Harford County’s status as a breeding center . . . — Map (db m1269) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Luxury on the Bay
Listen, and you can almost hear the jazz music and smell the roasting duck. Edward F. Piersol conceived the idea for the Bayou Hotel and was the first owner. The hotel, considered lavish for a small town was built with field stone from Harford . . . — Map (db m9693) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Joppatowne — Harry Gilmor’s Raid
On July 10, 1864, Major Harry Gilmor’s Confederate cavalry camped in this building (an old stage coach headquarters) on his way to burn the Pennsylvania R. R. bridge across the Gunpowder, where he captured General W. B. Franklin. — Map (db m1252) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Elkridge — Back to Nature in the Patapsco Valley
"[On] any weekend [you] will find from 20 to 25 of our faithful band of Gypsies enjoying nature to its fullest extent ... Enjoying watching the change in foliage from week to week, taking dips in the old Patapsco river in spite of frost, getting up . . . — Map (db m73599) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Day-French-Puhl HouseCa 1842
Day, a master stone mason, purchased this lot from the Ellicotts an built this federal style home, one of the oldest brick structures in the district. Rear and side additions were prior to 1887. Later home to the French’s for many years, then . . . — Map (db m112257) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Ellicott City Station, 1831The B&O Railroad Museum
The Baltimore & Ohio (B&O) Railroad's Ellicott City complex was the heart and soul of a bustling industrial and agricultural community once known as Ellicott’s Mills. The railroad built several structures on or near the site, including Oliver . . . — Map (db m112255) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Fire House AnnexCa 1963
By 1963 the fire station’s larger and more modern equipment required more space. This building annex was erected in order to provide the needed overflow storage unit relocation to the new Fire Station on Montgomery Road in 1997. This building, along . . . — Map (db m111804) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Howard County Jail, 1851:National Park Service Underground Railroad — Network to Freedom
The Howard County Jail, located at 1 Emory Street, in the Historic District of Ellicott City, Maryland, was the location where freedom seekers and those charged with encouraging enslaved persons to run away or rise up against their masters or . . . — Map (db m111721) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Patapsco Female InstituteClasses and Camps
The stabilized ruin above you - the Patapsco Female Institute - served the young ladies of the North and South from 1837 to 1891. Amelia Hart Lincoln Phelps, a renowned author and educator, headed the school between 1841 and 1855. Concerned with the . . . — Map (db m74252) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Turntable & TrackEllicott City Station
The single set of tracks outside the museum’s fence was the original right-of-way of the Baltimore & Ohio (B&O) Railroad. Now owned by CSX Transportation, this right-of-way has been in continuous use since 1830. For many years there were two sets of . . . — Map (db m112291) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Beallsville — Seneca Stone Barn
Restoring History This circa 1800 stable was built either by the Young family or the Fisher family of Seneca sandstone most likely quarried nearby on the Potomac River. Seneca stone was prized for its ruddy variegated color, local . . . — Map (db m86368) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — President Franklin D. Rooseveltdedicated the NIH Bethesda campus — on this site, October 31, 1940
"The National Institute of Health speaks the universal language of humanitarianism. It has been devoted throughout its long and distinguished history to furthering the health of all mankind....In dedicating this Institute, I dedicate it to the . . . — Map (db m67765) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — The Centennial AnchorOctober 16, 1987
This centennial anchor, originally from a Coast Guard cutter, rested for many years in front of the Staten Island Marine Hospital where the National Institutes of Health began in 1887 with the founding of the Hygienic Laboratory. It was presented to . . . — Map (db m69105) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — The Louis Stokes Laboratories
By Act of Congress This building is designated as the (sic) The Louis Stokes Laboratories Congressman Louis Stokes served as a distinguished member of the United States Congress for 30 years, representing his native state of Ohio. He was . . . — Map (db m68454) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — BrookevillePrisoners Paroled
On June 28, 1863, Confederate Gen. J.E.B. Stuart left Rockville with three cavalry brigades, 125 captured Union supply wagons, and more than 400 military and civilian prisoners, arriving in Brookeville that night. At every opportunity, prisoners . . . — Map (db m366) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — Brookeville Schoolhouse
The Brookville Schoolhouse sits upon land purchased for $300 in 1865, four years after the Maryland General Assembly established the Montgomery County public school system. At some subsequent point, the school began operation as a traditional . . . — Map (db m114395) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — Summit Hall Farm Smokehouse
This outbuilding located on the ridge of Summit Hall Farm is treasured as the oldest complete historic structure within the City of Gaithersburg. Historically known as the smokehouse, its notched logs and chinked mortar serve as a modern day . . . — Map (db m57606) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Hyattstown — Hyattstown Mill
A number of grist and saw mills operated on this site from the late 1700s to the mid 1930s. Due to seasonal changes in the water level, Little Bennett Creek proved unreliable as a constant source of power to turn the water wheel. Milling efficiency . . . — Map (db m94355) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Potomac — The Maryland MineChesapeake and Ohio Canal Historical Park
The building in front of you was a processing mill, where gold was extracted from quartz. The quartz was dug in the Maryland Mine, one of over 30 mines that once dotted the landscape here. During the Civil War a Union soldier assigned to guard . . . — Map (db m103296) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Court House Square"Burning with Enthusiasm" — Gettysburg Campaign
Confederate Gen. J.E.B. Stuart and an estimated 5,000 cavalrymen arrived in Rockville, the Montgomery County seat, on June 28, 1863, to a boisterous reception. One soldier described “a spectacle which was truly pleasing . . . It was Sunday, . . . — Map (db m65) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 9 — Hebron House and Print Shop11 Wood Lane — Rockville's African American Heritage Walking Tour
For over fifty years, Celestine and Jesse Hebron operated one of the most successful printing businesses in the county in this handcrafted building. Jesse Hebron started his printing business on Falls Road in 1932. After serving in World War II . . . — Map (db m43568) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — North Adams Street and Middle Lane Residential Area
The area at North Adams Street and Middle Lane has four of the oldest surviving Rockville homes: 101, 106, and 5 North Adams, and the Beall-Dawson House. The 1793 portion of the house at 5 North Adams is probably the oldest structure in . . . — Map (db m81) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — Bioretention Gardens
Bioretention Gardens absorb rainwater and filter pollutants using soil, stone and plants. Stormwater is rain that runs off hard surfaces and carries pollution to our streams. Montgomery County has thousands of practices like this one to . . . — Map (db m110636)
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — Geodetic Marker& Time Capsule
This geodetic mark was established to commemorate 200 years of science, service, stewardship to the nation by NOAA and its predecessor agencies and to mark the location of NOAA's 200th Celebration Time Capsule. The materials reflect the essence of . . . — Map (db m66195) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — Modern BankingLandmark Architecture — Silver Spring Georgia Avenue Heritage Trail
The 1958 Perpetual Building Association office at 8700 Georgia Avenue is the finest example of Mid-Century Modern architecture in Silver Spring. The University of Maryland study Modern Movement in Maryland extols Perpetual as a "pristine . . . — Map (db m66947) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — Silver Spring Armory 1914
The first decades of this century saw Silver Spring transformed from a 19th century rural village into an early 20th century residential community and center of commerce. Major E. Brooke Lee and Captain Frank L. Hewitt, returning World War I . . . — Map (db m76024) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — The Community of Silver Spring
The Community of Silver Spring, Maryland, derives its name from this spring, discovered in 1840 by Francis Preston Blair and his daughter, Elizabeth. While riding on horseback in the woods beyond Washington, rays of sun on mica sand particles in the . . . — Map (db m74684) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — William L. Chaplin Arrested!
On August 8, 1850 a hired carriage was forcibly stopped in the middle of Brookeville Pike (Georgia Avenue) near this spot by a Sheriff's posse from Washington, D.C. and a shoot-out ensued. The carriage was driven by William Chaplin, who was unarmed, . . . — Map (db m109230) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Takoma Park — Belle Ziegler Park
This park land, originally called North Takoma Park, was donated by city founder Benjamin Franklin Gilbert as part of his effort to create public spaces within the city. By the mid-1920's it had been renamed Washington Park and was the scene of . . . — Map (db m58459) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — The Bowie Caboose
A caboose was the accustomed conclusion to any freight train, and served many roles. It allowed crewmen to keep a lookout for how the freight cars were functioning as the train moved along. It provided a place to rest and eat for the crew working on . . . — Map (db m65393) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Brentwood — Barney Monument
This is the site of the Battle of Bladensburg . It was here that Commodore Barney and his marines were defeated in the war of 1812. The British moved on to burn the Capitol and White House. — Map (db m61435) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Bladensburg Dueling GroundsBattle of Bladensburg — Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Throughout much of the nineteenth century, the Bladensburg Dueling Grounds were well-known as a place to settle differences. The site was a secluded location, close to taverns, and fell outside of Washington D.C.'s boundaries, where dueling . . . — Map (db m73130) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — The Road to the CapitalBattle of Bladensburg — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
The War of 1812 raged on land and sea, touching every border of the young nation. On August 24, 1814, after two years at war, the Americans faced the British here at Bladensburg. While the American militia were unable to hold back the . . . — Map (db m75958) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — Charles Town
Near this place the first courthouse in Prince George's County was erected in 1698, which served as the center of county government until 1721, when the county seat was moved to Upper Marlborough. The village of Charles Town was built on a tract of . . . — Map (db m68085) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — The War of 1812 and the Chesapeake Flotilla
British Attacks on the Patuxent During the War of 1812, the British entered the Chesapeake Bay and threatened towns, plantations, and the cities of Washington and Baltimore. To counter this threat, Congress ordered the creation of the . . . — Map (db m68302) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — Woodland Indians
Woodland Indians on the Patuxent American Indians established rear-round settlements along the Patuxent River 3,000 years ago during the Woodland Period (1000 BC-1600 AD). At first, their villages were small and scattered. Over time, large . . . — Map (db m68303) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fort Washington — 15-inch Rodman Smoothbore
Among the largest cannon used in the Civil War Monumental in size, these two immense guns remain as sentinels ready to repel an attack on the Nation's capital. With their extended range and commanding location above the river, they were the key . . . — Map (db m7636) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Hyattsville — Christian A Fleetwood
Medal of Honor Sergeant Major 4th US Colored Troops Civil War 1840 † 1914 — Map (db m74553) WM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Laurel — Avondale Mill: A Lost TreasureRiverfront Park Heritage & Nature Trail
The Avondale Mill was built by Horace Capron in between 1845-1848. Later owned by George Wheeler and others, for many years it was known as Crabbs' Mill after owner Benjamin F. Crabbs. Over the years flour, corn, and lace embroidery were among the . . . — Map (db m72077) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Laurel — Water From the Dam Powered the Cotton MillRiverfront Park Heritage & Nature Trail
Water flowed from the race to the mill where it originally powered two overshot wheels and later a large Boyden Turbine before flowing back into the river. When water power was unavailable — either because of repairs or low water, the mill had . . . — Map (db m79199) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Oxon Hill — Dr. John H. Bayne of Salubria “Prince of Horticulture”
A Need For Change After acquiring the Salubria land and building his manor house here in 1830, Dr. John H. Bayne quickly realized that devoting the entire property to the cultivation of tobacco was not going to produce the income he needed. . . . — Map (db m75404) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Oxon Hill — Root CellarOxon Hill Farm - Oxon Cove Park
This root cellar may not look much like a refrigerator. But in the 1830s, it was probably the closest thing the DeButts family had. A good root cellar is damp, well ventilated, and very cool but never freezing. Like this one, most root . . . — Map (db m48948) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Oxon Hill — Wheat and TobaccoOxon Hill Farm - Oxon Cove Park
In spring and summer, wheat and tobacco grow in this garden. These two plants alone tell an important part of the history of this farm. Tobacco was the most valuable crop in the American colonies in the 1600s and 1700s. Planters such as John . . . — Map (db m48947) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Riverdale — From Plantation to Suburb; a Community Grows
Town of Riverdale Park. A key factor in the initial development of Riverdale Park in 1887 was its proximity to Washington, D.C. By the end of the 19th century, transportation between Riverdale Park and Washington was extremely convenient . . . — Map (db m984) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Upper Marlboro — “Melwood Park”Patented 1672
The home of Ignatius Digges whose daughter Mary, married Thomas Sim Lee, twice Governor of Maryland. Lee died here, 1819. General George Washington visited here four times and Martha Washington once. In the War of 1812 British officers stopped here . . . — Map (db m62919) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Upper Marlboro — Schoolhouse Pond
History of Schoolhouse Pond The exact history of Schoolhouse Pond is unclear. The area now occupied by the pond appears in land records of the 1840's and 1850's as dry land. It is referred to as meadow on some maps and as a marsh on . . . — Map (db m63991) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Upper Marlboro — The Right Will Prevail — Prince George’s County World War I Monument
This monument perpetuates the memory of the sons and daughters of Prince George’s County who, true to the traditions of their county and the teachings of their forefathers, served their country in the Great War of 1917-1918. To the spirit of that . . . — Map (db m32622) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Upper Marlboro — Thomas John Claggett, D.D.
Ordained by Lord Bishop of London 1768. First Bishop consecrated in the United States, at Trinity Church, New York City by Bishop Seabury of Connecticut. He organized this (Trinity) church 1810. Born near Nottingham, October 3, 1743; died at "Croom" . . . — Map (db m3724) HM
Maryland (Saint Marys County), St. Inigoes — John LaFarge, S.J.
John LaFarge, S.J. (1880-1963) served St. Mary's County (1911-26). Priest, Educator, Editor, Author, Historian, Advocated for Justice and Human Rights. Founded the Catholic Interracial Council, the Cardinal Gibbons Institute and the Society of . . . — Map (db m101110) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Architectural Significance of the First Lexington Park Community
The U.S. Navy developed Lexington Park to house the civilian workers who streamed into the area following the establishment of the Patuxent River Naval Air Station. Named for the storied carrier Lexington, it was the first planned community . . . — Map (db m56719) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Saint Nicholas Church
1637 Jesuit Mission of Father Andrew White was located a mile from here on Patuxent River, on land given by Mattapanient Indian Chief Macquacomen. The first St. Nicholas Church was built at this site in 1796 by Jesuit Father James Walton. Present . . . — Map (db m999) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Storm Blocks the Route to Freedom
In April 1848, the Chesapeake Bay's stormy weather doomed a maritime dash to freedom by 77 slaves from Washington D.C. Anti-slavery activist William L. Chapin had arranged for the schooner Pearl to spirit the 77 to New York and liberty. . . . — Map (db m62551) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Captain John Smith's Shallopand America's First National Water Trail
This modest open boat is a replica of one of the most important vessels in American History. In the summer of 1608, a small boat or "Shallop" similar to this was used by Captain John Smith to make the first detailed European exploration of the . . . — Map (db m61332) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — The General Humphreys Cannon
. . . — Map (db m81087) WM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Cambridge — First Long-Distance Phone Call
From this site on October 9, 1876 the first two-way long distance telephone conversation was carried on for three hours. From here in Cambridgeport Thomas G. Watson spoke over a telegraph wire to Alexander Graham Bell at the office . . . — Map (db m49766) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Grafton — Hassanamesit1630 - 1930
John Eliot established here in 1651 a village of Christian Indians called Hassanamesit - "at a place of small stones." It was the home of James the Printer who helped Eliot to print the Indian Bible. — Map (db m93037) HM
Mississippi (Sharkey County), Rolling Fork — Teddy Roosevelt's Bear Hunt
Pres. Theodore Roosevelt came to Smedes, 2 mi. S, in 1902 to hunt. On Nov. 14, Roosevelt refused to shoot a captive bear. Cartoons of the event are though to have led to the creation of the "Teddy Bear." — Map (db m80119) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Birthsite of Gerald R. Ford
38th President of the United States “My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over. Our Constitution works. Our Great Republic is a government of laws and not of men. Here, the People rule…” President Ford’s . . . — Map (db m58089) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Madison — James Madison1751 ---- 1836
4th President of the United States Dedicated 2003 President Madison Our namesake. Madison, CT. & N.J. [ Back of Monument: ] From ‘Bottle Hill’ to ‘Madison’ in 1834. This monument is hereby presented through the generosity of the Mayor and . . . — Map (db m33505) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Oliver Hazard Perry Monument
Oliver Hazard Perry 1785 - 1819 — Map (db m80018) WM
New York (Erie County), East Aurora — Millard Fillmore House
In 1825, Millard Fillmore, 13th President of the United States, helped build this house to which he brought his bride, Abigail Powers, in 1826, residing here until 1830. Moved from original Main Street site 1930. Tablet placed by Abigail Fillmore . . . — Map (db m74669) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Douglass Home
Frederick Douglass, abolitionist and editor of the "North Star", hid many fugitive slaves at his home on this site. — Map (db m65160) HM
New York (Seneca County), Seneca Falls — Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Promoter of the first Women's Rights Convention lived here. Convention was held across the river — Map (db m65312) HM
New York (Warren County), North Creek — Theodore RooseveltA Great New Yorker
"At the dawn of another century, we recall Theodore Roosevelt's energetic life and populist legacy with admiration and affection. His twenty-four months as governor was a defining period, an impressive dress rehearsal of sorts, for one of the . . . — Map (db m41378) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Town House
Lafayette was escorted from the Clarendon Bridge to the Town House, which stood at this site. A spacious stage had been erected in front of the Town House. The various military units formed lines on each side of the street, and Lafayette's carriage . . . — Map (db m24449) HM
North Carolina (Orange County), Chapel Hill — Strowd BuildingA Town Heritage Site
Constructed in 1923 by Robert L. Strowd, replacing an earlier building owned by Adele Tankersley. James L. Sutton and J. L. Alderman opened Sutton’s Drugstore here in 1923. Robert Foister operated a photography store in this building next to . . . — Map (db m117135) HM
North Carolina (Swain County), Cherokee — Sequoyah
This statue honoring Sequoyah. The Cherokee genius who invented the Cherokee Alphabet. was sculpted from a single great California Sequoia (Redwood) Log which was donated and shipped by Georgia-Pacific. This is sculptor Peter wolf Toth's 63rd . . . — Map (db m19736) HM
North Dakota (Stark County), Belfield — Dude on the Frontier
Theodore Roosevelt, 24 years old, came to the North Dakota badlands from New York City to hunt his first buffalo. For a week there was nothing but rain – at last some fresh tracks. And after hard riding, and a lot of missed shots, Roosevelt . . . — Map (db m87203) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — C22 — Hull's Headquarters
Here, Gen. William Hull largely recruited his army for his campaign against the British at Detroit, in the War of 1812. — Map (db m13821) HM
Ohio (Stark County), Canton — 18-76 — William McKinleyFormer Site of the Home of President William McKinley
William McKinley’s house, once located at this site, was the scene of his 1896 “front porch campaign” for President of the United States. During the campaign McKinley addressed about 750,000 people who came to his home in Canton. . . . — Map (db m67418) HM
Ohio (Tuscarawas County), Dundee — 7-79 — The Bouquet Expedition - Camp 14 / Henry Bouquet 1719-1765
Side A The Bouquet Expedition - Camp 14 Desperately trying to protect their homeland, the Delaware Indian Nation who lived here in the Tuscarawas Valley, joined the French against the English during the French and Indian War, . . . — Map (db m81571) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Braddock — The Great Steel Strike of 1919
In the largest work stoppage to that date, over 350,000 U.S. workers went off the job. Reverend Adalbert Kazincy, pastor of Saint Michael's here, championed the strikers and provided the church as a meeting place. The strike failed after 15 weeks. — Map (db m47044) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Wolfsburg — Forbes Road1758 — Fort Bedford to Fort Duquesne
The Forks The Road cut by Colonel James Burd in 1755 and the Forbes Road diverge here, Forbes Road leading southwestward to Shawnee Cabins Encampment 4 1/2 miles from Fort Bedford. — Map (db m99103) HM
Pennsylvania (Cambria County), Johnstown — American Red Cross
On June 5, 1889, Clara Barton and a group of American Red Cross volunteers arrived in Johnstown to help the survivors of a devastating flood resulting from the failure of the South Fork Dam. It was one of the first major disaster responses for the . . . — Map (db m74402) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Cove Gap — President James Buchanan
The incorruptible statesman whose walk was upon the mountain ranges of the law.”           Life long friend Jermiah S. Black U.S. Attorney General 1857-1860, U.S. Secretary of State 1860-1861 This park commemorates the . . . — Map (db m58657) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — James Buchanan15th President of the United States 1857 - 1861
James Buchanan, a Representative and a Senator from Pennsylvania and the 15th President of the United States; born at Cove Gap, near Mercersburg, Franklin County, Pa., April 23, 1791; moved to Mercersburg, Pa. with his parents in 1796; was privately . . . — Map (db m8036) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Thornhurst — Jay Gould
The first business venture of the noted speculator and railroad manipulator was at nearby Thornhurst. Here, 1856 ~ 61, he owned a large tannery with Zaddock Pratt. Gould's tannery profits became a basis of his fortune. — Map (db m46240) HM
South Carolina (Barnwell County), Barnwell — William Gilmore SimmsApril 17, 1806 - June 11, 1870
The lifetime of William Gilmore Simms, the preeminent man of letters in the Old South, embraced an era of American history marked by nullification, states rights, secession, war and reconstruction. He responded to these crises by writing and . . . — Map (db m95193) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Martha Jane BurkeAlias "Calamity Jane"
Born - May 1, 1852 Princeton, Missouri Died - August 1, 1903 Terry, South Dakota Her Dying Request "Bury me beside Wild Bill" — Map (db m71412) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 26 — James K. Polk
The house which stood about 100 feet west was built in 1815 by Felix Grundy. James K. Polk bought it while President in 1847. He came home to it on expiration of his term of office and died here, June 15, 1849. His widow occupied it until her death . . . — Map (db m74337) HM
Tennessee (Greene County), Greeneville — Andrew JohnsonNational Historic Site — Andrew Johnson National Cemetery
Welcome to the Andrew Johnson National Historic Site. This site commemorates the life and work of the seventeenth president of the United States, Andrew Johnson. Born in poverty, Johnson rose from Greeneville tailor to the nation's highest office. . . . — Map (db m23680) HM
Tennessee (Hamilton County), Harrison — 2A 36 — Old Harrison
Hamilton County's first court met at Hasten Poe's tavern near the present Daisy in 1819, later moving to Rawlings' Farm, near the present Dallas. In 1840, a courthouse was built about 500 yards NW of this point, and the new town named for President . . . — Map (db m4492) HM
Texas (Gillespie County), Stonewall — What is the President pointing to anyway?
The statue which stands before you is of Lyndon Baines Johnson, the 36th president of the United States. It was donated by A.W. Moursand, a prominent attorney and past Texas Parks and Wildlife Commissioner. President Johnson wanted this statue . . . — Map (db m91013) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Site of Viewmont
Built before 1744 by Col. Joshua Fry 1699-1754 Surveyor, Mathematician, Pioneer Commander-in-Chief of Virginia Forces French and Indian War George Washington Inscribed over his Grave “Here lies the good, the just and the noble . . . — Map (db m23244) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Alexandria Railroads
Three railroads developed in Alexandria during the mid-19th century, a period of limited industrial expansion for the City. Alexandrians had a invested heavily in the Alexandria Canal which opened in 1843, giving the city access to the rich . . . — Map (db m72379) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — D.C.'s First Building BlockJones Point Park
In 1791, surveyors on Jones Point began to lay out the ten-mile square that would become Washington, D.C. The first marker for the survey—the south cornerstone—was set in place on this spot. Although the stone within this protective . . . — Map (db m60162) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Lord Fairfax House
Erected (c.) 1800 by William Yeaton. Residence of Thomas, Ninth Lord Fairfax and his son Dr. Orlando Fairfax until 1875. — Map (db m71811) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Bank of Potomac BuildingBuilt 1804-07
Here Union Governor Francis Harrison Pierpont established the “Restored Government of Virginia” and used the building as the official Governor's Residence 1863-65 This Property is protected by a preservation easement held by . . . — Map (db m71611) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Duke Street TanyardAlexandria Heritage Trail
Peter Wise, a city councilman and tanner, established the Duke Street Tanyard in 1797. The Business was situated near the stone bridge on the east bank of Hooff's Run by West End Village. The tannery's ownership and name changed many times; Quakers . . . — Map (db m72479) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Wilkes Street Tunnel
The Wilkes Street Tunnel was part of the Orange & Alexandria Railroad, founded in 1848 to promote trade with western Virginia. The Orange and Alexandria inaugurated its track in Alexandria on May 7, 1851 with a run to the north end of Union Street . . . — Map (db m72346) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — World War I-Era RudderEvidence of the Shipyard at Jones Point
In May 2000, this rudder was recovered along the banks of the Potomac River near Jones Point. Measuring over 22 feet high and 4.5 feet wide, the rudder is of the variety used to outfit steel cargo ships constructed between 1918 and 1920 at the . . . — Map (db m61952) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — Chain Bridge
In 1797, the merchants of Georgetown built here the first bridge over the Potomac River in order to compete with the Virginia port of Alexandria. The Falls Bridge allowed trade from the "upper country" of Virginia to move directly to Georgetown over . . . — Map (db m3339) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — Southwest No. 8 Boundary Marker
The U.S. Government erected 40 sandstone markers on the boundaries of the District of Columbia in 1791 and 1792. The boundary survey was initiated by President George Washington and executed by Andrew Ellicott, who became Surveyor General of the . . . — Map (db m57120) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — Dependence on Slave LaborArlington House, The Robert E. Lee Memorial
Unlike the planters in the lower south, the Custis and Lee family grew mostly food crops on this 1,100 acre plantation as well as at two other sites. George Washington Park Custis limited the cultivation of cotton and tobacco because they were labor . . . — Map (db m70676) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — A Tribute to The Men of Fairfax County
Who died in the spirit of Loyalty Served their country in 1917 - The World War - 1918 ————— Died in Service Thomas L. Brady, James F. Carper, Clarence M. Dawson, William I. Deardorff, Howard Derr, Percy J. . . . — Map (db m75471) WM
Virginia, Fairfax — Ford Building
Built c.1835 Old Town Fairfax This was the home of Antonia Ford, imprisoned as a spy following Ranger Mosby's night capture of the local Union commander, Brig. Gen. Edwin H. Stoughton, March 9, 1863. A search of the house had revealed an honorary . . . — Map (db m6366) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — Minnie Minter Carter Saunders
In Memory of Minnie Minter Carter Saunders A resident of Centreville area from 1884 to 1983. This building was constructed in 1937 using stone from Four Chimney House, also know as Grigsby House, believed to have been built by James . . . — Map (db m114076) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Clifton — Sangster’s Station“Tears And Love For the Blue—Love and Tears for the Grey”
During the Civil War, the Orange & Alexandria Railroad was strategically important to both the Union and the Confederate armies. Sangster's Station, located 1-3/4 miles to your right where Colchester Road crosses under the railroad tracks, was the . . . — Map (db m110134) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax Station — Type C31 (Cupola) Caboose
This caboose was built for the Norfolk and Western Railroad (N&W) in December 1969. It was donated in 1993 to the museum and repainted as Southern Railway (SR) Washington Division caboose X518606 the following year. — Map (db m112221) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Mount Vernon — Mount Vernon's Slave Memorial — Faith. Hope. Love.
In Memory of the Afro Americans who served as slaves at Mount Vernon This monument marking their burial ground — Map (db m14170) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — James Wren
In grateful memory of James Wren 1728 – 1815 Vestryman, Trustee & Architect of The Falls Church — Map (db m77643) HM
Virginia (Franklin County), Hardy — KP-14 — Booker T. Washington Birthplace
Booker T. Washington was born a slave on the nearby Burroughs plantation on April 5, 1856. He was graduated from Hampton Institute in 1875 where he became an instructor. Because of his achievements as an educator, he was selected to establish a . . . — Map (db m65611) HM
Virginia (Frederick County), Middletown — Battle of Cedar Creek
The Battle of Cedar Creek 19 October 1864 (a.m.) Maj. Gen. Philip Sheridan’s Union forces established themselves on both sides of the Valley Pike, north of Cedar Creek, centered on Belle Grove. Confederate Lt. Gen. Jubal A. . . . — Map (db m78063) HM
Virginia (Frederick County), Middletown — Monte Vista
This Property Has Been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Circa 1883 — Map (db m78060) HM
Virginia (Loudoun County), Aldie — Mt. Zion Old School Baptist ChurchHistoric Site in Journalism
In the graveyard adjoining this church, on June 23, 1863, Harpers Illustrated Weekly's Alfred R. Waud, one of the Civil War's most renowned artists, dug the grave for the burial of his friend Lynde Walter Buckingham, the chief cavalry correspondent . . . — Map (db m104319) HM
Virginia (Loudoun County), Leesburg — Glenfiddich HouseFormerly Harrison Hall
This property has been placed on the National Register Of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior Circa 1840 — Map (db m114510) HM
Virginia (Loudoun County), Leesburg — Haud Pluribus Impar
At Ball’s Bluff, near this town on the threshold of Virginia and the Confederacy, the invading army of the North was, on Oct. 21st 1861, utterly defeated and driven into the Potomac. This monument is erected to the memory of those who died in . . . — Map (db m110685) HM WM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Site of Dr. Johnson's Tennis Court
During the 1940's through early 1960's Dr. R. Walter Johnson trained aspiring, black, tennis hopefuls on this site. Among these were Althea Gibson & Arthur Ashe. — Map (db m74035) HM
Virginia (Orange County), Orange — General Zachary Taylor
A valiant soldier General Zachary Taylor 1784-1850 Twelfth President of the United States Born in Orange County Virginia Erected by Orange County Post No. 156 The American Legion 1934 — Map (db m83144) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Fort Valley — Birthplace of the CCCCamp Roosevelt, NF-1
The Army with Shovels. By 1933, the Great Depression had demoralized the nation. Millions of young men were unemployed and families were starving. On March 9, 1933 Franklin Delano Roosevelt created the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). Its . . . — Map (db m10158) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Mount Jackson — Mount Jackson General Hospital, CSAShenandoah at War — Valley Campaigns
In September 1861, the Confederate Medical Department built a large general hospital on this site because Mt. Jackson was the western terminus of the Manassas Gap Railroad which provided access to northern Virginia battlefields. Dr. Andrew Russell . . . — Map (db m73783) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Mount Jackson — Mt. Jackson General Hospital, CSAShenandoah at War — Valley Campaigns
In September 1861, the Confederate Medical Department built a large general hospital on this site because Mt. Jackson was the western terminus of the Manassas Gap Railroad, which provided access to northern Virginia battlefields. Dr. Andrew Russell . . . — Map (db m59443) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — Historic StrasburgStop #4
The Town Run is to your right. One source of the stream comes from a spring several blocks north at Hupp's Homestead. Bruce Hupp had his commercial watercress beds there. Often he boarded the train at Strasburg Depot in the morning, delivered his . . . — Map (db m3458) HM
Virginia (Warren County), Front Royal — Front RoyalBattle of Front Royal — 1862 Valley Campaign
On May 23, 1862, Front Royal was occupied by 1000 Federal troops (1st Maryland Infantry, 29th Pennsylvania and a battery of Knap’s Artillery) under the command of Col. J. R. Kenley In the early afternoon Confederate Gen. T. J. . . . — Map (db m2439) HM
Virginia, Winchester — The Women of Winchester
In Honor Of The Women of Winchester The Ladies Confederate Memorial Association Organized in 1865 And Turner Ashby Chapter #184 United Daughters of the Confederacy For Five Generations They Have Cherished the Memory of The . . . — Map (db m117486) HM WM
West Virginia (Marshall County), McMechen — Foreman Massacre
Near this spot occurred the massacre, by Indians, of Captain William Foreman and Twenty of his men on September 27th, 1777.--•-- This marker erected by Wheeling Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution. — Map (db m71009) HM WM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — “Monument Place”
On site of Fort Shepherd is this mansion, built in 1798 by Moses Shepherd and known as Shepherd Hall. Among its guests were Lafayette, James K. Polk, Andrew Jackson, and Henry Clay. Clay's support brought National Pike here. — Map (db m750) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — In Honor of All who Served
In Honor of All who Served in World War 1917-1918 — Map (db m71011) WM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Zachary Taylor"Old Rough and Ready"
Major Zachary Taylor served as commandant of Fort Howard for nearly three years, arriving in the spring of 1817 with 500 men of the fifth United States Infantry. He would become the twelfth president of the United States on the fifth of . . . — Map (db m57539) HM

2494 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 2094
Paid Advertisement