Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

2205 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 2005
 
Robert Cavelier de la Salle Monument image, Touch for more information
By Beverly Pfingsten, August 12, 2014
Robert Cavelier de la Salle Monument
Quebec, Lachine — Robert Cavelier de la Salle(1643 - 1687)
French Fonda Lachine, 1667 Rebatit le Fort Frontenac, 1675. Pionnier de la navigation sur les Grands Lacs. Ses explorations permirent à la France d'étendre son domaine jusqu'à l'embouchure du Mississippi

English Founded Lachine, . . . — Map (db m77759) HM

Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — A Quincy "Copperhead"
Singleton had succumbed "Hook and Line" to the Democrats, stated Lincoln in 1854. He and Quincyan James W. Singleton had been fellow Whigs and disciples of Henry Clay. They had campaigned together in 1848 during Whig Zachary Taylor's . . . — Map (db m58787) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — A Victorian Cemetery
Woodland Cemetery---The necropolis that in life (Cornelius Volk) did so much to beaut(ify) and make attractive" (Quincy Daily-Herald, 1898). Among significant historical Woodland memorials are the gravestones of Orville and Eliza . . . — Map (db m58803) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — Augustine Tolton
Father Tolton, the first negro priest in the United States, was born of slave parents in Brush Creek, Missouri, in 1854. Educated at Quincy schools, he returned to this city after his ordination in Rome, Italy, in 1886. He celebrated his first . . . — Map (db m58799) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — Douglas' Disciple
"I regard (Richardson) as one of the truest men that ever lived; he 'sticks to judge Douglas through thick and thin" (A. Lincoln, 1860). Douglas composed the 1854 Kansas-Nebraska Act. William A. Richardson, another Quincyan and Douglas' . . . — Map (db m58760) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — Downtown Quincy in 1858
Sixteen days of rain had laid a coat of mud over the macadam streets that wrapped the city's square. Called the "Model City" because of its beautiful setting on the bluffs, Quincy in 1858 occupied about five square miles within . . . — Map (db m58759) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — His Friends Rest Here
"Here, too, the father of the town, with other men of large renown, are gathered by that reaper stern, who cuts down each and all in turn" (Henry Asbury, Reminiscences of Quincy, Illinois". Referring to the leaders from an earlier . . . — Map (db m58800) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — John Wood MansionErected 1835
The home of Governor John Wood Governor State of Illinois 1860-1861 Founder of Quincy, Illinois Dedicated by Dorothy Quincy Chapter NSDAR — Map (db m58738) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — Lincoln Correspondent
"The points you propose to press upon Douglas, he will be very hard to get up to" ):Lincoln letter to Henry Asbury, 1858). Originally a Kentucky Whig, Henry Asbury was one of the founders of the Republican Party in Illinois along with . . . — Map (db m58753) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — Lincoln Promoter
"You are one of my most valued friends" (Lincoln letter to Abraham Jonas, 1860). Their friendship began in 1843 in Springfield when Lincoln and Jonas served together in the Illinois House of Representatives. Jonas became an early and . . . — Map (db m58764) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — Lincoln-Douglas Debate
On October 13 1858, two candidates for U.S. Senate met in this public square for a sixth debate. Quincy, in the west-central portion of the state, was a true battleground area where both candidates saw reasonable prospects of victory. . . . — Map (db m58781) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — Lincoln's 1854 Visit
On November 1, 1854 an incensed Lincoln attached the immorality of slavery in a speech at Kendall Hall. Lincoln was awakened from a five-bear political slumber by Douglas's Kansas-Nebraska Act, attacking it in a series of speeches in . . . — Map (db m58788) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — Lincoln's Confidante
Quincy's Eliza Caldwell Browning and Abraham Lincoln first met in 1836. She was a new bride, and he had just received his law license. When Eliza discovered Lincoln's "great merits," the two established an easy rapport. Their . . . — Map (db m58739) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — Lincoln's Friend Johnston
Quincy lawyer and newspaper editor Andrew Johnston became acquainted with Abraham Lincoln in the Illinois Legislature when Lincoln served as representative and Johnson as assistant clerk. Like Lincoln, a Whig, Johnston was a law partner . . . — Map (db m58795) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — Lincoln's Honored Friend
"Archie Williams was one of the strongest-minded and clearest-minded men in Illinois" (A. Lincoln). Lincoln and his friend Archibald Williams had much in common. Both were born in Kentucky and moved to Illinois. Williams coming to Quincy . . . — Map (db m58790) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — Lincoln's Quincy
With a population of nearly 13,000 in 1858, Quincy was the Adams County seat and the third largest city in Illinois. Quincy boasted a strong, growing economy based on its transportation, milling, pork packing, and light industry. In 1853 . . . — Map (db m58755) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — Lorado Taft (1860 - 1936)Sculptor of the Debate Memorial
Best remembered for his spectacular fountains, Lorado Taft was the creator of some of our nation's outstanding monuments. Some of his most significant include Blackhawk (Oregon, IL, 1911), The Columbus Memorial (Washington, D.C., . . . — Map (db m58782) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — Political Allies
Abraham Lincoln and John Wood shared similar political views, Both were members of the Whig Party and were strongly allied against slavery. Lincoln and Wood worked to establish the Republican Party, and each campaigned for the other's . . . — Map (db m58737) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — Political Campaigning in 1858
Quincy was in a festive mood for the all-day event with bands, banners, and thousands of people in attendance. Historian E.B. Long said, "It was a carnival time in Illinois. Mobs of thousands journeyed by wagon, horseback, boat and . . . — Map (db m58780) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — Quincy's Judge Douglas
"His name fills the nation; and is not unknown, even in foreign lands" (A. Lincoln, 1856). Stephen A. Douglas, a Jacksonian Democrat, arrived in Quincy in 1841, at twenty-seven the youngest Supreme Court Judge in Illinois history. In . . . — Map (db m58761) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — Search for Equality
"Who shall say, I am the superior, and you are the inferior?" asked Lincoln in July 1858. The Lincoln-Douglas Debates focused on slavery. During the October 13th Quincy debate Lincoln affirmed: "...in the right to eat the bread . . . — Map (db m58798) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — Steamboats and Railroads
Lincoln traveled to Quincy by stagecoach in 1854 after crossing the Illinois River at Naples. Lincoln's first documented visit was to support the Congressional candidacy of Archibald Williams and to attack the Kansas- Nebraska Act and . . . — Map (db m57881) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — Stephen A. Douglas in Quincy
Statesman and politician Stephen A. Douglas began his distinguished national career in Quincy. A resident of the city from 1841-1847, he served as Associate Justice of the Illinois Supreme Court from 1841-1843, then in the U.S. House until he was . . . — Map (db m58793) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — The Mormons in Quincy
Mormons in Missouri were forced to flee their homes or face death because of an "extermination order" issued in 1838 by Governor Lillburn Boggs. Many of them crossed into Illinois at Quincy and were made welcome by the people here. In April 1839 . . . — Map (db m58792) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — Tri-State Business Center
Quincy's brewers and brick makers, contractors and coopers, foundry and factory workers, and diverse other tradesmen made this Mississippi River community an important center of commerce in Lincoln's day. Quincy's businessmen, whose . . . — Map (db m57883) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — Warm, Sincere Friendship
Quincy's Orville Hickman Browning was Lincoln's friend, advisor, and confidant. According to historian David Donald, Lincoln considered Browning an old friend "whom he could absolutely trust. He knew the Illinois senator would never . . . — Map (db m58742) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Abandonment of Ft. Cumberland — Fort Cumberland Trail
Fort Cumberland was garrisoned from 1754 to 1765. During this period, there was bickering between Maryland and Virginia as to how the fort should be maintained and whose control it was under. In early 1756, Colonel Washington favored a small . . . — Map (db m17708) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Allegany County
. . . — Map (db m17452) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Allegany County LibraryCumberland Free Public Library
Top Name of Cumberland Free Public Library changed to Allegany County Library July 1, 1960 Bottom 1798 • First public school in Western Maryland incorporated under Act of 1798 as "Visitors of Allegany County School." 1824 • School name changed to . . . — Map (db m17676) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Alteration of the Site — Fort Cumberland Trail
Many changes have been made to the landscape on which Fort Cumberland stood. The street behind you was cut from the hillside and the earth removed used by the canal company. the bluff to your left in front of the church once extended on a nearly . . . — Map (db m18757) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Boat Building at the Cumberland Basin
Cumberland, the western terminus of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, was the location where the George's Creek coal from western Allegany County was transferred from the short line railroads to canal boats for shipment east. Cumberland was also the . . . — Map (db m67484) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Col. Joshua Fry
Memorial in honor of Col. Joshua Fry Born c. 1700 in England 1731 • Professor of mathematics at William and Mary College, Planter in Albemarle County, Virginia, Member of House of Burgesses, First presiding judge of Albemarle County, Commander . . . — Map (db m54023) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Col. Thomas Cresap
In Memory of Col. Thomas Cresap Pathfinder - Pioneer - Patriot - Built the first home and fort in this county at Oldtown, about 1740 Surveyed the first trail to the west, starting near this spot in 1751 His Sons - - - Daniel Cresap for whom . . . — Map (db m17778) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — CumberlandStrategic Center
In 1860, Cumberland was a small town of 7,302 residents, most of whom lived in the valley of Will’s Creek. The town was an important stop on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad and the western terminus of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal. When the Civil . . . — Map (db m17674) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Cumberland Gateway Westward — Fort Cumberland Trail
Will's Creek Settlement, later known as Cumberland, served as a major gateway for trade, military campaigns against the French, and settlement beyond the mountains in our growing nation. "The New Storehouses" of the Ohio Company were across the . . . — Map (db m17783) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Cumberland Terminus: Yesterday and Today
Independence Day, July 4th, 1828, would be an important day for Cumberland, Maryland. On that day, far to the east, the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal and the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad both broke ground. The finish line of these companies' race was the . . . — Map (db m67478) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Famous Personalities at Fort Cumberland — Fort Cumberland Trail
Horatio Sharpe Lived: 1718-1790. Here as Governor of Maryland and the commander of the fort. Fort Frederick was built by his direction. Governor: 1753-1769. Sharpsburg, Md., was named in his honor. Daniel Boone Lived: 1734-1820. Here as a . . . — Map (db m17681) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Fort Cumberland TrailA new opportunity for outdoor recreation — Fort Cumberland Trail
This is an American Revolution bicentennial project to permanently record the history of one of the City of Cumberland's most historic sites, Fort Cumberland. The beautiful interpretive plaques tell the story and the attractive white rocks mark the . . . — Map (db m17714) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — French and Indian War — Fort Cumberland Trail
"A volley fired by a young Virginian in the backwoods of America set the world on fire" Fort Cumberland was built as a direct result of hostilities between the French and British over control of the Ohio Valley. The British king granted land . . . — Map (db m17683) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — George Washington at Will’s Creek — Fort Cumberland Trail
Our founding father spent much time in this vicinity when a young man as surveyor, ambassador, aide-de-camp to General Braddock, and commander of Virginia military forces. This cabin served as his headquarters during part of this time. Young George . . . — Map (db m17719) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Gov. Lloyd Lowndes 1845 - 19051842 Home
Site 1842 Home Gov. Lloyd Lowndes 1845 - 1905 Only person from Allegany County elected Governor of Maryland Served from 1895 to 1900 — Map (db m17673) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Headquarters of George WashingtonOn this Site Originally Stood the
Headquarters of George Washington, since removed to Riverside Park. He was entertained at David Lynn's house (which later occupied this site) when he came here in 1794 to review the troops during the Whisky Rebellion. — Map (db m17451) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Headquarters of George Washington
As colonel under General Braddock at Fort Cumberland during the French and Indian War 1755 - 1758 and as Commander-in-Chief of the American Army in 1794Presented to the City of Cumberland by James Walter Thomas, L.L.D.; Litt.D. dedicated April . . . — Map (db m17724) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Life on the Canal
The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal ran from Georgetown in Washington, D.C. (Mile 0) to Cumberland, MD (Mile 184.5), paralleling the Potomac River. Most of the heavy shipping originated from the western terminus at Cumberland. Boatmen carrying coal, . . . — Map (db m67482) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Military Hospital
On this site stood the First Presbyterian Church. During the Civil War it was used as a military hospital — Map (db m19336) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Our Local Indian Heritage — Fort Cumberland Trail
The land west of the Allegheny Mountains was exclusively the Indians until the mid 1700's. The local Indians were part of the Shawanese tribe and a sub-division of the Algonquin Nation-one of the most warlike. With the coming of the white man, most . . . — Map (db m18724) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Palisado Fort or Stockade — Fort Cumberland Trail
Most of the early frontier forts were of the palisado type. Before you is a small sample of this type construction. A palisade is a fence of pales or stakes set firmly in the ground, as for enclosure or defense. The word usage in the 1700's was . . . — Map (db m17782) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Perimeter of the Fort — Fort Cumberland Trail
You stand upon historic ground within the north wall of Fort Cumberland. Your location (X) is shown on the diagram. Lines of barracks (I), parallel with the street, were to your front and in the rear along the line of white rocks in the street. The . . . — Map (db m18758) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — President Washington's Last Visit - 1794
Center Plaque On October 16, 1794, President George Washington arrived in Cumberland to review about 5,000 troops of the Maryland and Virginia militia gathered here during th Whiskey Rebellion. A few days later, this militia army assembled upon . . . — Map (db m17456) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Riverside Park
Land for this park was donated to the city in 1893. The park formerly included the site of the bridge approached to your right and an area extending along the river bank upstream. Then, there were extensive walkways, benches, flowerbeds, a viewing . . . — Map (db m17711) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Site of Fort Cumberland
The store houses of The Ohio Company were first located near this point. In 1754 the first fort (called Mt. Pleasant) was built. Gen'l Edward Braddock enlarged the fort in 1755 and renamed it after his friend the Duke of Cumberland. — Map (db m53575) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The First National Bank and Trust Company of Western Maryland
was originally chartered as the Cumberland Bank of Alleghany by an act of the 1811 Maryland Legislature and opened for business April 1, 1812. this is the oldest bank in Western Maryland and the second oldest National Bank in the state. Local . . . — Map (db m19337) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The Fort Proper — Fort Cumberland Trail
The fort proper was the bastioned work at the west end of the fort. It was to your left (primarily on the site of the Church of Christ Scientist). Besides the four bastions (b) and the joining walls, there were four buildings for provisions (6), two . . . — Map (db m17679) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The National RoadThe Road that Built the Nation
“. . . so many happy people, restless in the midst of abundance.” —Alexis de Tocqueville, 1840. Americans are an adventurous people. From past to present, they have used feet, horses, wagons, stagecoaches, canals, . . . — Map (db m67479) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The Old National Pike — Fort Cumberland Trail
The National Pike was also called the National Road (used national funds) or the Cumberland Road (began in Cumberland). Behind you and to the right along the base of the hill, were the storehouses of The Ohio Company. The earliest rails were made by . . . — Map (db m18728) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The Parade Ground of Fort CumberlandOccupied this site 1755
Here the Indian envoys were received before Braddock left for his defeat. In 1756-58 the garrison under Col. Washington was still reviewed here. — Map (db m17453) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — This Tablet Marks the Site of Old Fort Cumberland
Which was built in 1755 by order of the British Government and named in honor of the Duke of Cumberland, Captain General of the British Army. It was the base of military operations of General Edward Braddock and Colonel George Washington in the . . . — Map (db m18733) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Trenches and Tunnels / Army Discipline — Fort Cumberland Trail
Trenches and Tunnels It was common for forts of this period to have rifle pits or trenches outside the walls as a line of first defense. Fort Cumberland was likely no exception. However, the excavations most people refer to apparently had other . . . — Map (db m17684) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Where the Road BeganThe Historic National Road - The Road That Built the Nation
You are standing at the starting point of this country's first federal road building project, the National Road. A vision of George Washington as a means to develop the continent and to unite the country, his idea was championed by Thomas Jefferson . . . — Map (db m17716) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — The Naming of Frostburg
Contrary to popular belief that it was named for its frigid winter weather, Frostburg can trace its history back to 1800 when the community was known as Mt. Pleasant. By the time the National Road (authorized by Congress in 1806) opened through in . . . — Map (db m67475) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Mount Savage — In Honor of the Sons and Daughters of Mount Savage
Who served their country in the World War, this bridge was built, and in loving remembrance of J. Edward Carney • Walter H. Green • Lloyd H. Hartman • Joseph B. Hammers • Lawrence B. Miller • James Shaffer • H. Earl Snyder who made the supreme . . . — Map (db m67476) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Baron Johann de Kalb, 1721 - 1780Revolutionary War Hero
Baron Johann de Kalb was a distinguished German soldier who served as a major general in the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War. He was a friend and mentor of the Marquis de Lafayette.

De Kalb served at Valley Forge during . . . — Map (db m75680) HM

Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Dred Scott, 1700 - 1858Freedom Denied by the United States Supreme Court
Dred Scott was born a slave in Southampton, Virginia. His family was owned by Peter Blow who sold Scott to an army doctor named John Emerson. Dr. Demerson took Scott to live in the free states of Illinois and Wisconsin where, in 1836, Scott married . . . — Map (db m75677) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Roger Brooke Taney, 1777 - 1864Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court
Roger Brooke Taney was born in Calvert County, Maryland. After serving as attorney general of the U.S. and secretary of the Treasury, he was sworn in as chief justice of the U.S. Supreme Court on March 15, 1836. He served until his death in . . . — Map (db m75675) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Claude House26 West Street
During the second half of the 18th century, shoemaker Allen Quynn owned or leased a large portion of both sides of the first block of West Street. At one time this building was Quynn's home, but in 1767 Quynn leased the house to watchmaker William . . . — Map (db m75681) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Jonas Green House
The 1718 Stoddert survey map indicates William Bladen as the first recorded owner of lot 42. Charles Carroll purchased the property in 1725 and may have been responsible for the construction of the original side hall, double parlor plan when he and . . . — Map (db m75719) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Sign of the Bible
Built about 1680 The dwelling house of Mr. Jonas Green Printer to this province 1738 - 1767 Printer and publisher of the Maryland Gazette, 1745 - 1767 Flag Day, June 14, 1932 — Map (db m75718) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Lothian — Anne and Christopher Birckhead1665
These stones mark the graves of Anne and Christopher Birckhead They are believed to be the oldest dated tombstones in Maryland

This registers for her bones, her fame is more perpetual than these stones and still her virtues, though her life . . . — Map (db m83399) HM

Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pumphrey — Pumphrey Elementary School
Completed in 1923 on Berlin Avenue under the Rosenwald Program, which was instrumental in the education of African Americans in the early 20th century. The fund provided matching grants for more than 5,000 schools, shops, and teachers' residences . . . — Map (db m79728) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 1917 – 1918
The residents of the Twenty First Ward as a lasting expression of their gratitude and affection have placed this tablet as a testimonial to the young men of this community, who in a spirit of unselfish patriotism answered their country’s call in the . . . — Map (db m41354) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 9 North Front Street
A survival from the 18th century, this house was built in the section of the city known as “Jonestown.” Designed and built in the 1790’s in the Federal style, 9 North Front Street was once part of a neighborhood of merchants, . . . — Map (db m2726) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A Tribute to Our Unsung Heroes
The heroes walk program was established by Mayor William Donald Schaefer in 1986, to honor those persons who have unselfishly given their time, labor and talents to help improve the quality of life in our community without ever seeking reward or . . . — Map (db m2709) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Armistead
To Col. George Armistead, April 10, 1779 – April 25, 1818, commander of this fort during the bombardment by the British Fleet, Sept. 13-14 1814. War of 1812. Erected Spet. 12, 1914 by the City of Baltimore, Soc. War of 1812 . . . — Map (db m2595) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore City Courthouse
This “noble pile” as it was described at the dedication of January 8, 1900, is the third courthouse built on Monument Square. When Calvert Street was leveled in 1784, the original courthouse—site of the May 1774 Stamp Act Protest . . . — Map (db m89370) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore City Fire Department
Dedicated to the Members of the Baltimore City Fire Department, Past, Present and Future. — Map (db m2704) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Police Department
Established 1784 by an act of the Maryland Legislature. This living memorial is dedicated by the Department to all members, past and present. Who have served with honor, dedication, and loyalty. Many of whom have made the supreme . . . — Map (db m2601) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Riot TrailDeath at President Street Station
Baltimore – A house Divided In 1861, as the Civil War began, Baltimore secessionists hoped to stop rail transportation to Washington and isolate the national capital. On April 19, the 6th Massachusetts Regiment arrived here at the . . . — Map (db m2418) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Bon Secours Hospital
Congregation of the Sisters of Bon Secours, a nursing order founded in France in 1824, sent three members to Baltimore in May, 1881, at the request of Cardinal Gibbons. Their first U. S. convent opened at West Baltimore and Payson Streets the . . . — Map (db m2451) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Building Atop the Burying Ground
When leaders of First Presbyterian Church decided to build an new church atop their 18th-century burying ground, they hoped to serve Baltimore’s growing west end and protect their burial place from being diverted to other uses. Construction . . . — Map (db m2413) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Camp CarrollFrom Plantation to Federal Camp
This land was part of a 2,568-acre tract named Georgia Plantation, that Charles Carroll purchased in 1732. By 1760, his son Charles Carroll, a lawyer, had constructed a Georgian summer home, Mount Clare. the Carroll family lived here until 1852. . . . — Map (db m2537) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Carroll Mansion
Charles Carroll of Carrollton (1737–1832), the last surviving, and only Roman Catholic signer of the Declaration of Independence, wintered here during the last twelve years of his life. Built circa 1808, the mansion is the grandest . . . — Map (db m3204) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Carroll Park
Baltimore’s Park Commission purchased portions of the Mount Clare estate between 1890 and 1907 to provide a large landscaped park for the city’s southwestern neighborhoods. The Olmsted Brothers firm helped the city develop plans to protect the . . . — Map (db m41430) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Church Home and Hospital“I am a Massachusetts woman”
Church Home and Hospital, formerly Washington Medical college, was where Edgar Allan Poe died on October 7, 1849, and where many doctors were trained who served in the Union and Confederate armies during the Civil War. On April 19, 1861, Adeline . . . — Map (db m2427) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Civil War Guardhouse
Fort McHenry has had several guardhouses. This one, built in 1835 and enlarged in 1857, is one of the best preserved buildings in the star fort. Soldiers on duty in this room guarded military offenders in the adjacent cells. During the Civil . . . — Map (db m2590) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Clover Hill(So named circa 1714)
Part of “Merryman’s Lott” 210 acres of virgin timberland granted by Lord Baltimore in 1688 to Charles Merryman, whose descendants farmed here until 1869. Stone house built in 19th century occupied by Bishops of Maryland since 1909, when . . . — Map (db m2452) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Colonel George Armistead
[front side] This monument is erected in honor of the gallant defender of Fort McHenry near this city during its bombardment by the British Fleet on the 13th and 14th September 1814. He died universally esteemed and regretted on the 25th of April . . . — Map (db m80930) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Commanding Officer’s Quarters
The rooms on the left end of this building stood as a separate structure during the 1814 period. this was the residence of Major George Armistead, commanding officer and “Hero of Fort McHenry.” It was Armistead who directed the . . . — Map (db m2592) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Davidge Hall
Davidge Hall, constructed in 1812, is named for the first dean of the University of Maryland School of Medicine, Dr. John B. Davidge. Noted for its unique classical appearance, it is the oldest building in the country used continuously for medical . . . — Map (db m15057) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Dr. Hiltgunt Margret Zassenhaus
July 10, 1916 Hamburg, Germany November 20, 2004 Baltimore, MD Physician, Humanist, Author Working as an interpreter with Scandinavian political prisoners held by the Third Reich during World War II, she bravely afforded many medical aid and . . . — Map (db m2710) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Ebenezer AME Church
This church is part of the African Methodist Episcopal congregation, the oldest independent black institution in the country. The origins of the A.M.E. church date back to the late 18th century, when blacks withdrew from the parent Methodist Church . . . — Map (db m49492) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Edgar Allan Poe House
“The little house in the lowly street with the lovely name.” This was how Edgar Allan Poe described 203 Amity Street, where he lived from 1832 to 1835 with his grandmother, aunt, and cousin Virginia, whom he married in 1836. While . . . — Map (db m2506) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Evergreen on the FallsNational Register of Historic Places
Surveyed for John Walsh in 1754, large square cupola once crowned brick mansion. Built in Italianate style c.1860 by Henry Snyder. Leased after 1864 to James Hooper, owner of Meadow Mill. Estate was sold in 1870 to David Carroll, co-owner of Mount . . . — Map (db m2520) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Experimental Carriages
Funds for developing new weapons decreased after the Civil War, forcing the Army to upgrade the cannon they already had. These three 19-inch Rodman gun tubes were probably made during the 1870’s, but their carriages are improved versions . . . — Map (db m2637) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Federal Hill
Since the founding of Baltimore, 1729, this hill has been a popular point for viewing the city’s growth. Here 4,000 people feasted 1780, to celebrate the ratification by Maryland of the Federal Constitution and in honor of the new government gave . . . — Map (db m2555) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Federal HillBuilding the Fort
On the evening of May 13, 1861, U.S. General Benjamin E. Butler’s troops occupied Federal Hill and brought their guns to bear on Baltimore. For the next four years the hill, garrisoned by 10 different regiments, served as a strategic Union strong . . . — Map (db m2560) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Fells Point
A colonial maritime community established 1726 by William Fell, shipbuilder of Lancashire, England. In this area were built more than six hundred ships from the colonial era through the Civil War. Birthplace of the U.S. Frigate . . . — Map (db m2517) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — First Baptist Church, Baltimore
On this site purchased in 1773, the first permanent meeting house, a dwelling for the pastor and a school house were erected and a cemetery established for the First Baptist Church of Baltimore Town. The present and fourth building of the church is . . . — Map (db m2599) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — First Boy Scout Armory
On this site, May 20, 1911, Ernest Thompson Seton, founder of the Boy Scouts of America, laid the cornerstone of the first Boy Scout Armory in the United States, and 30 acres of land were presented to the Mount Washington Boy Scouts for park and . . . — Map (db m2522) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — First Dental College
Baltimore College of Dental Surgery, first dental college in the world chartered by the General Assembly of Maryland March 6, 1840. Founders were Horace H. Hayden, M.D., D.D.S. and Chap A. Harris M.D., D.D.S. The Assembly stipulated by Act of . . . — Map (db m2530) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Fort McHenry
1814 - 1914 1776 Whetstone Point shore battery 1794 Star Fort begun. Later named for Washington’s Secretary of War 1795 Reservation partly acquired by the United States 1814 Gallant defence during British . . . — Map (db m2569) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Fort McHenry National Monument & Historic Shrine
As a guardian of Baltimore’s harbor, Fort McHenry is the site of the sucessful defense of the city by American Forces during the British attack on September 12–14, 1814 which inspired Francis Scott Key to write “The Star-Spangled . . . — Map (db m2568) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Francis Scott Key
Author of The Star Spangled Banner departed this life on the site of this building Jan. 11, 1843. “And this be our motto In God is our Trust” —Key — Map (db m5558) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Frederick DouglassAbolitionist / Orator / Author
Frederick Douglass was born into American slavery on Maryland's Eastern Shore in February 1818. In March 1826, Douglass, a slave child, was sent to live in the Hugh Auld household at this location, from 1826-1831. Douglass periodically resided . . . — Map (db m2603) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Furley Hall
On hill to the north stood the Georgian mansion built c. 1775 by Daniel Bowley II (1745–1807), Baltimore merchant and patriot of the revolution. He was a town commissioner, 1771–1778, and three times a State Senator. In 1814, British . . . — Map (db m2618) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Great Railroad Strike of 1877
The first national strike began July 16, 1877, with Baltimore and Ohio Railroad workers in Martinsburg, West Virginia, and Baltimore Maryland. It spread across the nation halting rail traffic and closing factories in reaction to widespread worker . . . — Map (db m63862) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — H. Irvine Keyser
This site and these buildings were presented to the Maryland Historical Society as a memorial to my husband H. Irvine Keyser of Baltimore. Obit May 7, 1916. A member of the Society 1873 to 1916. — Map (db m2527) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Historic Canton
Through the efforts of the Canton Improvement Association this old and densely populated ethnic neighborhood was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. The two-story red brick row houses are especially noteworthy for their hand . . . — Map (db m2430) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Homewood
The Home of Charles Carroll, Jr. A National Historic Landmark Built 1801 - Restored 1987 Open for Tours - Museum Shop Map (db m6114) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Homewood
Property purchased in 1800 by Charles Carroll, signer of the Declaration of Independence, as a wedding present for his only son, Charles and bride Harriett Chew of Philadelphia. The younger Charles designed and oversaw the building of the . . . — Map (db m18315) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — James Cardinal Gibbons
At this site, on July 23, 1834, was born America’s first Prince of the Church, James Cardinal Gibbons. Although world-renowned for the influence and profoundness of his thought he was always the parish priest striving for the salvation of . . . — Map (db m2703) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Katyn Remembered
When duty called they answered. When they refused the embrace of Stalin—they died. Now we commend them to the ages to be included amongst history’s martyrs. In 1939, the Soviet Union in league with Nazi Germany attacked Poland . . . — Map (db m2422) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Keswick
The Home for Incurables of Baltimore City, was incorporated November 1, 1883, through leadership and resources provided by the men and women of the Hospital Relief Association of Maryland. The purpose of this organization, incorporated December 18, . . . — Map (db m2387) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Keyser Quadrangle
Named for William Keyser who was the moving force behind the donation of the Homewood property to Johns Hopkins. He contributed 62 acres and also organized the donation of other land by Samuel Keyser, Francis M. Jencks, William H. Buckler, and . . . — Map (db m6122) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Lafayette Monument
La Fayette, immortal because a self-forgetful servant of justice and humanity. Beloved by all Americans because he acknowledged no duty more sacred than to fight for the freedom of his fellow men. —Woodrow Wilson En 1777 La Fayette . . . — Map (db m2394) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Living Classrooms Foundation
Lady Maryland The Lady Maryland is an authentic replica of a pungy schooner, a Chesapeake Bay workboat that sailed the Bay in the 1700s and 1800s. Pungies were fast sailing vessels and were primarily used to transport perishable cargo such as . . . — Map (db m6126) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Locust Point
Established as a port of entry in 1706, this peninsula was originally known as Whetstone Point. Along this road in 1814, soldiers marched to the defense of Fort McHenry, nearby. Port facilities served as a Federal supply camp in the Civil War. Later . . . — Map (db m2561) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Major General Samuel Smith
1752–1839. Under his command the attack of the British upon Baltimore by land and sea Sept. 12-14, 1814 was repulsed. Member of Congress forty successive years, president U.S. Senate, Secretary of the Navy, Mayor of Baltimore. Hero . . . — Map (db m2557) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mount Clare, the Georgia Plantation
In the late 1760’s, the Mount Clare mansion was built by Charles Carroll, Barrister and his wife, Margaret Tilghman, as their summer home. The mansion was located on the grounds of the original plantation, Georgia, and included an orangery, . . . — Map (db m2533) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mt. Clare
This outstanding Georgian mansion, built between 1754 and 1768, was the home of Charles Carroll, Barrister and framer of Maryland’s first Constitution and Declaration of Rights. Carroll and his wife Margaret Tilghman made Mount Clare a center of . . . — Map (db m3152) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mt. Clare
1754–1914. This oldest colonial structure of Baltimore was built in 1754 upon the estate known as “Georgia Plantation” by Charles Carroll, Barrister 1723–1783 One of the foremost patriots of . . . — Map (db m41351) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mt. Olivet Cemetery
The burial place of Methodist pioneers including Bishops Francis Asbury, Enoch George, John Emory and Beverly Waugh, also Robert Strawbridge, first preacher in Maryland and Jesse Lee, founder in New England. Site of 1966 Methodist Bicentennial time . . . — Map (db m33697) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — O Say Can You See?
If you had been standing on this rampart with the American gunners on the morning of September 14, 1814, you would have had a close-up view of the dramatic scene Francis Scott Key described in our National Anthem. About two miles downstream, . . . — Map (db m2572) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — On This Location
On this location, from the stage of the Holliday Street Theatre, The Star Spangled Banner, written by Francis Scott Key, was rendered for the first time publicly November 12, 1814. — Map (db m2707) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — On to YorktownWashington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route National Historic Trail
Our nation never had more at risk than it did in September 1781. The American Revolutionary War—the War for Independence—had raged for nearly six years. More than 4,000 American and French troops, allied in their fight against the . . . — Map (db m63885) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Patapsco Friends Meeting House
On this site was erected Patapsco Friends Meeting House 6th Mo. 12th, 1681 is the earliest record of this meeting Removed to Aisquith & Fayette Sts. Baltimore Town 2nd Mo. 22nd, 1781 — Map (db m65715) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Phoenix Shot Tower
Built in 1828 by the Phoenix Shot Tower Company, this soaring 215 foot structure is the last remaining shot tower of the three that accented Baltimore’s skyline in the 19th century. Shot pellets used as ammunition for muskets was produced by pouring . . . — Map (db m2598) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Powder Magazine
Magazines are structures designed to protect gunpowder and ammunition from moisture, sparks and impact. In 1814, a much smaller magazine stood here. During the famous bombardment, a British shell crashed into the roof, but miraculously failed . . . — Map (db m2593) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Rectory of Old St. Paul’s Parish
Incorporated 1692, 37 years before Baltimore Town itself, St. Paul’s moved to this vicinity in 1731. It was City’s first place of public worship. this rectory, the “parsonage on the hill” built 1788–1791 on half acre lot given by . . . — Map (db m2538) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Roland Park
National Register of Historic Places. One of nation’s oldest planned garden suburbs. Named for Roland Thornberry, a Baltimore County landowner. English investors backed 100-acre development proposed by William Edmunds and Edward H. Boulton, and . . . — Map (db m2524) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Sailors Fighting SailorsU.S. Chesapeake Flotilla vs. Royal Navy
Sailors provided the backbone of Baltimore’s defense during the War of 1812. A strong detachment of U.S. Navy seamen defended trenches on the outskirts of the city while members of the U.S. Chesapeake Flotilla served Fort McHenry’s largest cannons . . . — Map (db m2588) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Seven-Foot Knoll Lighthouse
Seven-foot knoll lighthouse was the second screwpile structure to be built by the U.S. Lighthouse Service. It was originally located 15 miles southeast of this location. The 42 foot high round screwpile lighthouse was completed by the Baltimore . . . — Map (db m64732) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Site of Poe’s Death
This structure, now the east building of Church Hospital, was erected in 1836, to house the Washington Medical College. Edgar Allan Poe, author, and poet, was brought here, ill and semi-conscious, on October 3, 1849 and died four days later. In . . . — Map (db m2426) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Spanish American War Monument
Dedicated to the United Spanish War Veterans 1898 - 1902 — Map (db m79886) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — St. Vincent de Paul Church
St. Vincent de Paul Church is the oldest Catholic parish church in the city. The church was built in 1840-1841 to accommodate the growing Irish Catholic population east of the Jones Falls. Its gleaming white Georgian tower has long been recognized . . . — Map (db m2600) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Star-Spangled Banner
By order of the President, the flag of the United States of America flies day and night here at the place where Francis Scott Key saw it when he wrote “The Star-Spangled Banner.” Without words, the unfurled flag answers Key’s . . . — Map (db m2571) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Taylor’s Chapel
The Taylor family, whose land holdings in area by end of 17th century were extensive, constructed of logs on this site c. 1770 a Quaker Meeting House, later used for Methodist services. It was razed when present stone chapel was built in 1853. . . . — Map (db m2617) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Battle Monument
Battle of North Point, 12th September, A.D. 1814, and of the Independence of the United States, the thirty-ninth Bombardment of Fort McHenry, 15th September, A.D. 1814, and of the Independence of the United States, the thirty-ninth. James . . . — Map (db m89172) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Canton Library
This branch of the Enoch Pratt Free Library was built in and opened for use in 1886, one of four given to the city of Baltimore by Enoch Pratt, a great philanthropist of that era. It is the only one of that group still in use as a library. Pratt . . . — Map (db m2450) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Flag House and Star-Spangled Banner Museum
The Flag House was the home of Mary Pickersgill and the site where she sewed the Star-Spangled Banner. Mary Pickersgill moved into the Flag House in 1807 with her mother, Rebecca Young, and her daughter Caroline, and set up a flag making shop. . . . — Map (db m2723) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Guns That Won the Battle
These cannons represent the largest guns that defended the fort during the War of 1812. Cannons from this battery fired 18 and 36 pound iron balls almost a mile and a half. Heated cannonballs or “hot shop” proved especially devasting to . . . — Map (db m2589) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Negro Heroes of the United States
Dedicated to the memory of the Negro Heroes of the United States. “Sleep in Peace, slain in thy country’s wars.” A gift to the city of Baltimore by an anonymous donor Sculptor – James E. Lewis 1971. (Sash held by . . . — Map (db m8409) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Peabody Conservatory
Established in 1857 by the philanthropist George Peabody, The Peabody Conservatory of Music was the first institution in America for the education of professional musicians. The list of those who have taught or studied here reads like a “Who’s . . . — Map (db m2411) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Peabody Library
In 1857, George Peabody’s founding letter dedicated the Peabody Institute to the citizens of Baltimore in appreciation for their “kindness and hospitality.” The Massachusetts-born philanthropist eventually moved to London where he built . . . — Map (db m2410) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Sheridan Libraries
. . . — Map (db m6124) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Star Spangled Banner
In this house was made The Star Spangled Banner which floated over Fort McHenry during its bombardment by the British September 13th and 14th 1814 and which inspired Francis Scott Key to write his immortal poem . . . — Map (db m96665) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Thomas Wildey Monument
Thomas Widley, born January 15, 1782. Thomas Widley, died October 19, 1861. He who realizes that the true mission of man on earth is to rise above the level of individual influence and to recognize the fatherhood of God overall and the . . . — Map (db m2429) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — To George Washington
To George Washington by the State of Maryland. Born 22 February 1732. Died 14 December 1799. To George Washington by the State of Maryland. Commander in Chief of the American Army, 15 June 1775. Commission resigned at Annapolis, 23 December . . . — Map (db m2391) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — War Memorial
Rededicated on November 10, 2005, by Mayor Martin O’Malley, to honor and remember all our veterans who fought so valiantly for the United States of America—“The Land of the free and the home of the brave.” Time will not dim the . . . — Map (db m2702) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Women's Industrial Exchange
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m70922) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Zion Lutheran Church
Founder in 1755, Zion Church is the oldest Lutheran congregation in Maryland. German Lutherans began settling in Baltimore Town shortly after it was laid out in 1730. Relying on itinerant preachers from Pennsylvania, the small struggling community . . . — Map (db m2714) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Baldwin — “Quinn”
500 acre grant in 1704 to Thomas MacNemara. Later called “Sweet Air.” Charles and Daniel Carroll, MacNemara’s kinsmen, acquired the property and sold it in 1751 to Roger Boyce, who built the present house. It was purchased in 1785 for . . . — Map (db m2052) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Baldwin — “The Eagle’s Nest”
Part of the Valley of Jehosaphat, now Dulaney Valley, patented August 10, 1684. Walter Dulaney acquired half, 1747, and remainder, 1767. His lands were confiscated and sold at the end of the Revolutionary War. Thomas Marsh obtained “The . . . — Map (db m2081) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Baldwin — Gunpowder ManorLong Green Valley
In this valley 7031 acres laid out, 1683, for Charles, Third Lord Baltimore. Opened to settlers, 1721 by Charles, Fifth Lord Baltimore. Frederick, Sixth Lord Baltimore, ordered manor sold, 1766. Land remaining 1782 seized and sold as confiscated . . . — Map (db m1930) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Brooklandville — Rockland
The first inhabitant of this village, dating back to 1706, was Richard Gist, father of the Revolutionary War hero, Mordecai Gist. The industrial development of the Jones Falls Turnpike Road, circa 1806, and later by the Baltimore and Susquehanna . . . — Map (db m2272) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Catonsville — Baltimore Regional TrailA House Divided
During the Civil War, Baltimore and its environs exemplified the divided loyalties of Maryland’s residents. The city had commercial ties to the South as well as the North, and its secessionist sympathies erupted in violence on April 19, 1861, when . . . — Map (db m71334) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Catonsville — Banneker's Orchard
This orchard grows to remind us of the care and work Benjamin Banneker (1731-1806) devoted to his land long ago. Cultivation of this orchard began in 2008 with a variety of fruit trees similar to what Banneker grew. He may have also collected wild . . . — Map (db m103478) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Catonsville — Benjamin Banneker(1731–1806)
The self-educated Negro mathematician and astronomer was born, lived his entire life and died near here. He assisted in surveying the District of Columbia, 1791, and published the first Maryland Almanac, 1792. Thomas Jefferson recognized his . . . — Map (db m5407) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Catonsville — Rolling Road
A colonial road built for the purpose of rolling hogsheads of tobacco from the plantations to Elk Ridge Landing for shipment to England. — Map (db m2131) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Catonsville — The Stone Farmhouse
You are standing on land that long ago was part of an area folks called "Stout". In 1737, when Benjamin Banneker was six years old, his father, Robert, purchased 100 acres from Richard Gist for 7,000 pounds of tobacco and put young Benjamin's name . . . — Map (db m103477) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Cockeysville — Hayfields
Colonel Nicholas Merryman Bosley, builder, 1810, awarded silver tankard “by the hand of Lafayette” for best cultivated Maryland farm, 1824. Also home of John Merryman, early importer, 1848, of registered Hereford cattle, still, 1967, . . . — Map (db m2280) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Cockeysville — Third and Last County Almshouse
Building constructed and furnished at cost of $60,000 from proceeds of sale of old Almshouse property under authority of County Commissioners granted by Acts of Maryland General Assembly, April 1, 1872. Site purchased from John Galoway. Structure . . . — Map (db m2300) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Dundalk — Aquila Randall Monument
SACRED to the memory of Aquila Randall, who died in bravely defending his Country and his Home, on the memorable 12th of September, 1814. Aged 24 years. In the skirmish which occurred at this spot between the . . . — Map (db m24034) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Dundalk — Battle AcreSeptember 12, 1814
Here General Stricker’s City Brigade inflicted severe losses upon the main body of the British Army. This spirited defense together with that of Fort McHenry the next night saved Baltimore. — Map (db m2118) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — An English Neighborhood
After the English gained control of the Hudson Valley from the Dutch in 1674, they established a strong presence in the town they renamed Albany. Soldiers headquartered at Fort Frederick just above this intersection. They formed a masonic lodge in . . . — Map (db m76382) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — St. Peter's Church
In the middle of State, formerly Yonkers Street, one block below, stood the First English Church, built A.D. 1715, upon ground granted by letters patent from King George the First. It bore the name of St. Peter's Church. The parish was incorporated . . . — Map (db m76381) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Gettys Crossroads and Tavern
Here the Shippensburg-Baltimore and the Philadelphia-Pittsburgh Roads crossed. Near the crossroads, stood the tavern of Samuel Gettys. In 1775, troops gathered here for Continental service. — Map (db m17045) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Accomac — Accomac Historic District
Has been registered as a Virginia Historic Landmark pursuant to the authority vested in the Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission Act of 1966. — Map (db m7827) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Accomac — Accomack County Virginia World War I
In honor of the men of Accomack County, Virginia who died in the service of our country in the World War 1917-1918. — Map (db m7825) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Accomac — Accomack County Virginia World War II, Korea & Vietnam
In honor of the men of Accomack County, Virginia who died in the service of our country in World War II, The Korean war and the Vietnam War. — Map (db m7826) WM
Virginia (Accomack County), Accomac — EP 21 — Birthplace of Governor Wise
Here stood the birthplace of Henry Alexander Wise (1806-1876), Governor of Virginia (1856-1860) and general in the Confederate States Army. A talented orator and debator in an age of great orators, Wise was elected to six terms in Congress. He . . . — Map (db m7823) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Accomac — WY 19 — Debtors Prison
Built in 1783 in one corner of the jailyard to serve as a residence for the jailer, the building served in this capacity for 41 years. Iron bard, oak batten doors and locks were added in 1842 when it was converted into a prison for debtors in . . . — Map (db m7828) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Accomac — Makemie Statue
The Presbyterian Historical Society of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania erected this monument and dedicated it on May 11, 1908, at Makemie Park on Holder Creek where Francis Makemie is buried at his Pocomoke home. In 1984 the monument was moved here and . . . — Map (db m7829) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Accomac — EP 22 — Mary Nottingham Smith High School
The first high school for blacks in Accomack County was dedicated on this site in 1932. It was named in honor of Mary Nottingham Smith (1892-1951), a black educator who dedicated her life to educating all young people. In 1956, the school was . . . — Map (db m7822) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Chincoteague Island — Captain Timothy Hill House
Built circa 1800 is registered as a Virginia Historic Landmark and placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 2011 — Map (db m59833) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Chincoteague Island — Christ Sanctified Holy Church1892 - 1984
Was established on this island on February 14, 1892 by Joseph B. Lynch, not far from this location. Doctrine is Justification and Sanctification. This building was erected in 1903. Since this beginning churches are established throughout the . . . — Map (db m59834) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Exmore — WY 13 — Occahannock
Five miles west is "Hedra Cottage", site of the home of Colonel Edmund Scarborough (Scarburgh), surveyor general of the colony. Beyond, at the end of Scarborough's Neck, was the village of the Occahannock Indians, the seat of Debedeavon, the . . . — Map (db m7608) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Keller — WY-17 — “The Bear and the Cub”
This first play recorded in the United States was presented August 27, 1665. The Accomack County Court at Pungoteague heard charges against three men “for acting a play,” ordered inspection of costumes and script, but found the men . . . — Map (db m7613) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Keller — WY 16 — Oak Grove Methodist Church
Two miles east, on Route 600, meets what is possibly the nation's oldest continuous Sunday School. Begun by William Elliott in his home in 1785, it was moved in 1816 to Burton's Chapel and in 1870 to the present church. — Map (db m7615) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Onancock — Genl. Edmund R. Bagwell
Born June 2, 1840. Died June 13, 1876. His life was gentle and the elements So mixed in him that Nature might stand up And say in all the World. This was a man. — Map (db m7678) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Onancock — Historic Cemetery
Known as the Scott Hall Cemetery, it dates from the late 18th century. Here will be found the grave of Commodore Whaley of the Maryland Navy who was killed in the Battle of the Barges in the Chesapeake Bay near the mouth of Onancock Creek in . . . — Map (db m7681) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Onancock — Hopkins and Sons; Hopkins and Brothers
Records of this mercantile business date back to 1842. This store also served the community as a bank and as a social and political meeting place. Deeded in 1970 to Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities. — Map (db m7675) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Onancock — Kerr Place
An eighteenth century mansion acquired in 1950 by the Eastern Shore of Virginia Historical Society as headquarters for the society. — Map (db m7682) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Onancock — WY 14 — Onancock
Two miles west is Onancock, founded in 1680. A courthouse was then built and used for a few years. Militia barracks were there in the Revolution. From Onancock, Colonel John Cropper went to the aid of Commodore Whaley in the last naval action of the . . . — Map (db m7673) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Onancock — World Wars I and II
Dedicated to the men and women from Onancock and community who devotedly served their country during World Wars I and II — Map (db m7677) WM
Virginia (Accomack County), Pungoteague — WY 18 — “The Bear and the Cub”
Probable site of Fowkes’ Tavern where this first recorded play in English America was performed August 27, 1665. — Map (db m7611) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Temperanceville — Anne Makemie Holden
Honors Anne Makemie Holden Landowner, successful business woman manager, champion of American Independence. Daughter of Naomi and Francis Makemie, founder of organized American Presbyterianism Presented June 17, 1998 by Virginia Business and . . . — Map (db m7835) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Temperanceville — WY 15 — Founder of Presbyterianism
Five miles west was the home of the Rev. Francis Makemie, founder of Presbyterianism in the United States. About 1684, Makemie established in Maryland the first Presbyterian Church. Later he moved to Accomac and married. He died here in 1708. — Map (db m7830) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Temperanceville — Francis Makemie Monument
Erected in Gratitude to God And in grateful, remembrance of his servant and minister Francis Makemie, who was born in Ramelton, County Donegal, Ireland, A.D. 1658(?) was educated at Glasgow University, Scotland, and came as an ordained Evangelist to . . . — Map (db m7838) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Temperanceville — Makemie Monument Park
Welcome to Makemie Monument Park Designated as A Virginia Historic Landmark September 6, 2006. And placed on the National Register of Historic Places February 15, 2007. — Map (db m7833) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Temperanceville — This Memorial Pyramid
Commemorates the belief that in this ancient family cemetery were buried near the remains of Francis Makemie, those of his wife Naomi, his daughters Elizabeth and Madame Anne Holden, and his father-in-law, William Anderson. Also those of John . . . — Map (db m7840) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Ice House — Thomas Jefferson's Monticello
Master carpenter James Dinsmore oversaw construction of this Ice House to Jefferson's design in 1802. Enslaved and hired workers filled it each year between November and February with ice cut from the nearby Rivanna River, shallow ponds, or snow . . . — Map (db m68174) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Mulberry Row — Thomas Jefferson's Monticello
Every article is made on his farm; his negroes are cabinet makers, carpenters, masons, bricklayers, smith, etc. Duc de La Rochefoucauld Liancourt, 1796 You are standing on Mulberry Row, a road once lined with more than 20 dwellings, . . . — Map (db m68171) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Textiles — Thomas Jefferson's Monticello
Panel 1 Jefferson introduced mechanized cloth production to his plantation when trade embargoes and looming war cut off the supply of imported British cloth. In 1811, he hired William McLure, a free white artisan and "a very ingenious man," . . . — Map (db m68175) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — The Levy Legacy — Thomas Jefferson's Monticello
After Jefferson's death in 1826, his heirs sold his property, including his slaves, to pay his debts. Naval officer Uriah Phillips Levy, who admired Jefferson for his support of religious liberty, purchased Monticello in 1834 to preserve it. This is . . . — Map (db m80808) HM
Wyoming (Albany County), Laramie — Abraham Lincoln"We must think anew and act anew"
1809 - 1865 This monument commemorates the sesquicentennial of Lincoln's birth by the State of Wyoming in 1959 Charles W. Jeffrey, M.D., Rawlins - Wyo. Donor Robert I. Russin, Sculptor — Map (db m47144) HM
Wyoming (Albany County), Laramie — Gateway to the Rockies
Tall trees, short trees, shrubs, grasses and flowering plants -- mountains, canyons, river bottoms, and prairies -- all intermingle to form the landscape. The greater the variety of landforms and vegetation, the more homes or habitats there are for . . . — Map (db m47149) HM
Wyoming (Albany County), Laramie — Henry Bourne Joy and the Lincoln Highway
This monument commemorates the Lincoln Highway, America's first transcontinental automobile road, and Henry Bourne Joy, the first president of the Lincoln Highway Association (1913). Joy, also president of the Packard Motor Car Company, is sometimes . . . — Map (db m47145) HM
Wyoming (Albany County), Laramie — Ranching from the High Point
This area of Albany and Laramie Counties is noted for its rich agricultural history. The forests and rolling hills were home to large sheep and cattle herds from the mid 1800s into the 1900s. After the Civil War, trees harvested from what is now the . . . — Map (db m47150) HM
Wyoming (Albany County), Laramie — Telephone Canyon
The first in the west through which a telephone line was run. The first conversation over this line was held in 1882 between Bill Nye at Laramie and Hon. E. E. Warren at Cheyenne. — Map (db m47148) HM
Wyoming (Albany County), Laramie — The Purple Heart Trail
The Purple Heart Medal was originated by General George Washington on August 7, 1782 for distinguished valor and is now awarded only to members of the armed forces of the United States, who have been wounded in combat against an armed . . . — Map (db m47143) HM

2205 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 2005
Paid Advertisement