In 1942 Winston Churchill raised the problem of anchoring the piers of the future artificial harbour at Arromanches.
… "The anchor problem must be mastered"…
Major Beckett solved the problem by designing the floating . . . — — Map (db m88600) HM
Arromanches possédait une batterie de deux pièces d’artillerie depuis 1793. Située à la base de la falaise Est, cette batterie s’illustra lors de la bataille navale de 1811. Six canonnières venant de Boulogne faisaient route . . . — — Map (db m89133) HM
Arromanches, constamment menacée par la mer, n’a jamais possédé de port. La première cale permettant aux pêcheurs de remonter leurs embarcations à l’abri fut construite en 1821. La grande cale reconstruite en 1856 était le . . . — — Map (db m89134) HM
In commemoration of H.M.'s sailors and Royal Marines of the British Royal Navy who manned the landing ships and landing craft and lost their lives during the liberation of Europe in 1944.
"Lest we Forget" — — Map (db m88594) WM
In memorial of
Merchant Navy Seamen who lost their lives in the Naval
June 6 ~ September 1944
They manned the merchant ships that provided the supply line for the Armies, and as such they were a prime target in . . . — — Map (db m88595) WM
Here at Arromanches, from 6 June 1944, close behind the assault troops, a great floating harbour code-named 'Mulberry B' was assembled and operated by men of the Royal Engineers (Transportation) under the command of Brigadier . . . — — Map (db m89135) HM WM
Créé par Allan Beckett, cet élément faisait partie des routes flottantes qui reliaient les plateformes de déchargement au rivage.
Cette passerelle mesure 24.4 mètres de longueur et pèse 28 tonnes.
Les routes flottantes . . . — — Map (db m88597) HM
In recognition of the Royal Air Force Beach Squadrons that landed in Normandy with the seaborne assault forces.
The RAF Beach Squadrons worked in the SWORD, JUNO and GOLD areas to facilitate the build-up of RAF personnel, vehicles and supplies . . . — — Map (db m88596) WM
In proud memory of the part played by men of
The Royal Army Service Corps,
The Royal Army Ordnance Corps,
The Royal Pioneer Corps,
The Army Catering Corps,
and the Postal and Courier service of the the Royal Engineers, in the Allied Armies' . . . — — Map (db m88593) WM
To the Glory of God and in memory of all ranks of the brave men of the
50th Northumbrian Division
who laid down their lives for justice, freedom and the liberation of France in the assault on the beaches of La Riviere, La Hamel & Arromanches . . . — — Map (db m88590) HM WM
L’hôtel-Dieu était au Moyen Age, avec les léproseries des faubourgs, la principale institution destinée au soin des malades de Bayeux. Fondé au début du XIIIe siècle, il est implanté sur la rive nord de l’Aure comprenant outre de vastes . . . — — Map (db m88519) HM
Ici naquirent dans le XIVe siècle
Poëte, Orateur, Historien,
et ses deux frères,
Jean, Historiographe de Charles VII,
Guillaume, Évêque de Paris
Here were born, in the 14th . . . — — Map (db m88589) HM
Le nom de cette rue varia en fonction des époques, indiquant tout d'abord le caractère artisanal de ce quartier. Ainsi, au Moyen Age, sa partie inférieure porte le nom de rue aux Fèvres c'est-à-dire rue des artisans du fer. A partir du . . . — — Map (db m86863) HM
Le musée de la Tapisserie de Bayeux est installé dans l’ancien grand séminaire de Bayeux, lieu de formation des futurs prêtres du diocèse de la fin du XVIIe siècle jusqu’en 1969. Depuis 1983, la célèbre Tapisserie, commanditée fin du XI siècle . . . — — Map (db m88524) HM
Lors de sa fondation, il y a deux mille ans, la ville de Bayeux (l’antique Augustodurum) s’est étendue sur la rive occidentale de l’Aure, qui la traverse du sud vers le nord. Un grand nombre d’activités artisanales se sont développées depuis . . . — — Map (db m88941) HM
A la fin du Moyen Age, 48 chanoines, membres du clergé attachés à la cathédrale, formaient l’assemblée (ou chapitre) constituant le conseil de l’évêque. Le doyen, premier dignitaire du chapitre, était par ses prérogatives le second personnage du . . . — — Map (db m89187) HM
L’ancienne résidence des évêques de Bayeux est un ensemble architectural complexe. Il se développe, depuis le Moyen Age, sur le flanc nord de la cathédrale autour d’une cour (1), d’un ancien cloître (2), et d’un jardin d’agrément (3).
La . . . — — Map (db m89162) HM
Ce secteur correspondant à l’une des entrées principales de la ville a entièrement été réaménage à la fin du XVIIIe siècle à partir de la maison du Cadran (n°6 rue Saint-Martin) jusqu’à l’angle de la rue des Teinturiers. Les grands . . . — — Map (db m89140) HM
La cite antique de Bayeux, connue sous le nom d’Augustodurum, est le chef-lieu de la “civitas” des
Bajocasses. A la fin du IIIe siècle, la ville gallo-romaine s’entoure d’une enceinte pour se protéger des raids saxons.
La . . . — — Map (db m89021) HM
L'ensemble cathédral se prolonge au nord par différents bâtiments affectés à l'usage du chapitre (membres du clergé de la cathédrale).
La bâtiment adossé à la tour nord est la salle capitulaire, lieu de réunion du chapitre. Datant de la fin . . . — — Map (db m92347) HM
La fouille archéologique pratiquée dans ce secteur a permis de mettre au jour un bâtiment rectangulaire date des IXe-Xe siècles, situé perpendiculairement au rempart et utilisant ce dernier comme pignon à l’est. Etudié sur . . . — — Map (db m89005) HM
A la mémoire de
qui inventa a Honfleur
l'hélice a propulsion
et en fit
les premiers essais
dans le vieux bassin
In memory of Frederic Sauvage who, in Honfleur, invented . . . — — Map (db m85694) HM
La Cité des Peintres
Aujourd'hui Honfleur reçoit plus de 3,5 millions de visiteurs chaque année. C'est la 13ème ville française la plus visitée.
Ell a toujours attiré les artistes, et tout particulièrement les peintres, sensibles . . . — — Map (db m86583) HM
La Chaloupe est lancée en 1926, à l'aube du cenéma parlant. Son armateur et patron Adrien Mérieult lui donne le nom de ses deux fils: Serge et Olivier.
Les chaloupes d'Honfleur tirent leur élégance du savoir faire des charpentiers de marine . . . — — Map (db m86403) HM
Le Faubourg Saint-Catherine
Le faubourg Saint-Catherine, était autrefois longé par la mer. C'est donc très logiquement que les marins s'y sont installés et y ont édifié dans la deuxième moitié du XV° siècle, l'étonnante église Sainte . . . — — Map (db m86615) HM
Ce quartier s'est formé autour de l'église de laquelle il tient son nom. Il est particulièrement vaste. Son territoire faisait jadis partie de la vicomté de Pont-Audemer. Il était limité à l'ouest par la Claire et s'étendait dans la campagne qui . . . — — Map (db m86425) HM
A l’occasion de la réfection totale du secteur de la place de la Porte de Rouen, le Maire de Honfleur, Michel LAMARRE, a souhaité rendre hommage aux moulières, ces femmes qui, pendant des décennies, ont travaillé dur dans l’estuaire et sur le banc . . . — — Map (db m86090) HM
L'Enclos et la Lieutenance
Le quartier de l'Enclos, correspond à l'ancienne zone fortifiée, ce quartier central était donc entouré de remparts jusqu'à l fin du XVIIème siècle. Dernier vestige des fortifications encore visible, à . . . — — Map (db m86618) HM
Les Greniers à Sel
Les Greniers à Sel situés Rue de la Ville sont de vastes bâtiments de pierre constuits à la fin du XVIIème siècle.
La plupart de ses pierres proviennent des anciens remparts de la ville.
Ils servaient . . . — — Map (db m86619) HM
en Mémoire des Soldats
pour Leur Liberté
"Gloire à l'Angleterre,
les U.S.A, la Russie,
la vaillante Belgique
et tous les alliés"
Extrait du discours
du Maire Mr Patin, à
la Libération de Honfleur
le . . . — — Map (db m86085) WM
A Albert Sorel
Ses eleves et ses amis
1842 - 1906
Professeur a l'Ecole Libre des Sciences Politiques
: 1872 - 1906 :
Membre de l'Academie des Sciences Morales et Politiques
: 1880 :
De l'Academie Française . . . — — Map (db m86088) HM
Front:Le "Souvenir Français" aux Soldats et Marins du Canton Morts pour la Patrie
Morts en Service Commandé
Halley Antoine, Enseigne de Vaisseau, 1799
André Charles, Matelot, 1879
Aubert . . . — — Map (db m86862) WM
They gave their tomorrow for our today.
United States of America
82nd Airborne: 1,142 Killed, 3,077 wounded
101st Airborne: 868 Killed, 2,303 wounded
6th Airborne: 821 Killed, 2,709 wounded
1st Canadian . . . — — Map (db m89048) WM
Le 6 Juin 1944, sur Omaha Beach, les Américains avaient prévu d'occuper une espace 25 km (16 miles) de long sur 10 km (6 miles) de profondeur, mais le soir, seule une zone de 8 km de long sur 2 km de large était tenue au prix d'un . . . — — Map (db m85962) HM WM
Le 6 juin 1944, les 1re et 29e Divisions d’Infanterie américaine étaient chargées d’établir une tête de pont sur ce site d’Omaha Beach. Les 6 km de plage avaient été divises en trois grands secteurs codes d’Ouest en Est: "Dog" . . . — — Map (db m88780) HM
En souvenir de l'Operation
effectuée le 12 septembre 1942
par un Commando Britannique conduit par
le Major March Phillipps
This plaque is to commemorate the landing on 12th September 1942 of British . . . — — Map (db m86858) WM
A ses enfants morts pour la France
Therese Dias Oliveira • Rene Mari • Eugene Marie Deporte
Emile Tirard • Eugene Boscher • Germain Lefevre • Louis Leforestier • Camille Lepetit . . . — — Map (db m86891) WM
Devant cette plage, pendant six mois de 1944, un grand port artificiel, nommé le "Mulberry", a été construit et exploité. Mis en place en moins de deux semaines, il comprenait des digues de protection formées de vieux cargos sabordes et . . . — — Map (db m88514) HM
Sur cette plage de Vierville, le 6 juin 1944, à 6 h 30 du matin, des centaines de courageux fantassins américains de la 29e Division sont morts en débarquant sous le feu de fortifications allemandes.
Le canon antichar de 88 mm que . . . — — Map (db m88515) HM
Emplacement du mur antichar bloquant la sortie de la plage de Vierville-sur-Mer.
Ce mur a été détruit le 6-6-45 vers 17H00 par le Génie d’Assaut de la 29e DI-USNG
121e Bataillon – Compagnie C – 3e Peloton
9e Escouade . . . — — Map (db m88551) HM WM
From North and South in our land we came that freedom might prevail.
On D-Day, 6 June 1944, in the great allied amphibious assault, the 29th Infantry Division stormed ashore on Omaha Beach to win a beachhead.
Our fallen lie among you. . . . — — Map (db m88776) WM
"The fight for the first thousand yards"
In memoriam to all members of this command who lived, fought and died for the cause of freedom.
Col. Paul W. Thompson CE
Commanding 6 June 1944
Dedicated Nov. 1944
Rededicated June 1998 . . . — — Map (db m88778) WM
In commemoration of the determined effort by the soldiers of the 29th Division's 116th Infantry Regimental Combat Team who landed the morning of June 6, 1944 on this section of Omaha Beach, known as Exit D-1, to open the Vierville Draw behind . . . — — Map (db m88518) HM WM
On three outer walls of the U-shaped monument are quotes from three major Allied leaders:
We too born to freedom and believing in freedom are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do would . . . — — Map (db m88750) HM
In memory of the gallant radio and radar technicians of the 2nd Tactical Air Force who landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day to provide ground controlled radar protection for the American beachhead. Six of those who died here that day . . . — — Map (db m88748) WM
Tribute dedicated to the memory of the soldiers who gave their lives in the defense of our country here at Fort Morgan.
Here lies the pride of seven flags entombed in our ancestor’s worth, who heard the thunder of the fray . . . — — Map (db m4649) HM
Here in Volcano in 1860, miner and amateur astronomer George Madeira built California's first astronomical observatory of record and operated it for two years. Using a three inch refractory telescope he studied sun and moon, stars and planets, and . . . — — Map (db m100583) HM
The value of one's life can be measured by how he or she has added value to the lives of others. In 2003 this statue was dedicated to those who gave freely of their time to serve Westminster Citizens through the fire service and community activities. — — Map (db m4648) HM
The property at 163 Main Street was originally part of a section of land confiscated from British Loyalists. The lot contained the City Hotel which was a well known hostelry. After a fire destroyed the City Hotel, the lot was subdivided and in 1903 . . . — — Map (db m6311) HM
In 1771 when Annapolis merchant Charles Wallace laid out plot lines on Cornhill Street, former ship captain Beriah Maybury leased two plots and built this house which he opened as the King's Arms Tavern in 1773. In 1792 he renamed it the Sign of the . . . — — Map (db m6450) HM
Dedicated to the Brown and Leanos families that operated a grocery and restaurant business, respectively at this location since the late 1890's.
Originally dedicated on September 10, 1990
Rededicated May 13, 2000 — — Map (db m6387) HM
Near this spot
which was then the shore of the bay,
the Brig “Peggy Stewart” was burned
by her owner, “Anthony Stewart.”
October 19, 1774
To pacify the indignation of the
citizens roused by the payment of . . . — — Map (db m6313) HM
The 8th Massachusetts Infantry reached Annapolis April 21, 1861, on the Railroad Ferry Maryland. Col. Benjamin F. Butler forwarded his and the 7th New York Infantry Regiments to Washington. Shortly he was directed to prevent the legislature from . . . — — Map (db m6312) HM
From the Depths - Sea Power
1900 - 2000
Dedicated to those
who serve beneath the seas,
families and support personnel
[Back of marker}:In recognition of the generosity
of the following donors
Lockheed Martin . . . — — Map (db m6398) HM
In command of the Central America, home-bound with California Gold seekers, Captain Herndon lost his life in a gallant effort to save ship and lives during a cyclone off Hatteras, September 12, 1857
"Forgetful of self, in his death he . . . — — Map (db m7213) HM
Kneseth Israel (Assembly of Israel), chartered in 1906, purchased this home in 1910 for use as the first synagogue in Annapolis.
The congregation used the building as a synagogue
until 1912, when it moved to larger quarters on
Prince George . . . — — Map (db m6310) HM
This granite block was dedicated as the cornerstone of a proposed fountain on 22 November 1908, the 200th anniversary of the Annapolis City Charter. The fountain was planned to commemorate the 1649 "Act Concerning Religion," known as the "Act of . . . — — Map (db m6386) HM
The Memorial commemorates the arrival in Annapolis of Kunte Kinte, Alex Haley’s ancestor, as told in his book, Roots. That arrival was not a voluntary one. Kunte Kinte was one among one hundred-forty Africans forced into the hold of the slave . . . — — Map (db m6392) HM
A pathway to reconciliation and healing
Founder and President of
The Kunte Kinte-Alex Haley Foundation,
his inspirational leadership created
this Memorial Site
and his tireless efforts encouraged racial healing
and promoted . . . — — Map (db m6382) HM
[Front of Monument (Bronze Relief)]:
· Capture of the Macedonian ·
· The American Frigate United States ·
Commodore Stephen Decatur, cruising between the Azores and Cape Verde Islands on October 25, 1812, was sighted by the British . . . — — Map (db m7419) HM
site of the
September 11-14, 1786
Just north of this building, facing main street, stood Mann’s Tavern where twelve delegates from five states met in 1786 to discuss commercial problems of the new nation. Their call . . . — — Map (db m6302) HM
Capitol of the United States November 26, 1783 – August 13, 1784
In this state house, oldest in the nation still in legislative use, General George Washington resigned his commission before the Continental Congress December 23, 1783. . . . — — Map (db m6703) HM
[Southwest side of Monument]:
To passed Midshipmen
H. A. Clemson.
J. R. Hynson
lost with the U. S. Brig Somers
off Vera Cruz
Dec. 8th, 1846
[Northeast side of Monument]:
J. W. Pillsbury.
T. . . . — — Map (db m66330) HM
[Front top]: Dedicated to the Preservation of the Memory of Midway
where one of the most decisive naval battles in military history was fought
June 4, 1942
The day when the American Spirit reached unparalleled heights and, in so doing, . . . — — Map (db m6491) HM
The N* commemorates
a Navy varsity athletic team
victory over Army
The Army-Navy rivalry
is the most revered competition
in intercollegiate athletics
* * *
As each team strives for excellence
on the field of competition, . . . — — Map (db m6471) HM
Chief Justice of the United States
Born March 17, 1777.
Commissioned March 15, 1836.
Died October 12, 1864.
[Right side of statue]:
Attorney General of the United States 1831.
[Left side of statue]: . . . — — Map (db m6704) HM
U.S. Navy Submarines paid heavily for their success in World War II. A total of 374 officers and 3131 men are on board these 52 submarines still on "patrol"
We shall never forget that it was our submarines that held the lines against the enemy . . . — — Map (db m6806) HM
The Naval Academy has had a goat as its mascot since 1890 when, according to legend, on their march from the ferry station at Highland Falls up the steep hill to West Point to play the first Army-Navy football game, the Naval Cadets (as they were . . . — — Map (db m6465) HM
U. S. S. Paddle (SS 263) carried this bell throughout World War II. Similar bells were carried by all U. S. Submarines.
Upon this bell we toll the loss of 52 American submarines and crew of 3,621 officers and enlisted men who went down fighting . . . — — Map (db m6807) HM
The globe within this monument contains water collected by the U.S.S. Triton (SSRN-586), from the twenty-two seas transited during the first submerged circumnavigation of the world in 1960.
(Lower Marker): . . . — — Map (db m7475) HM
Baltimore & Ohio Railroad.
Here in 1830, passengers on B&O horse-drawn cars stopped to eat at the Relay House.
Meanwhile, the relays of horses were changed for the remainder of the 13 mile journey between Baltimore and Ellicott’s Mills, hence . . . — — Map (db m2502) HM
Obverse Honoring women from the State of Maryland, past and present, who have served our nation honorably and proudly, in war and peace.
Notable Accomplishments of Women in Military Service
Although women have . . . — — Map (db m82028) HM WM
John Wilkes Booth and David Herold remained hidden from April 16 to 21, 1865 in a nearby pine thicket, while Union troops searched for them. Thomas A. Jones brought them food and the newspapers. — — Map (db m39524) HM
February, 1766, Washington's schooner ran aground off this point. From his diary of August 25th, 1768, "Hauling seine upon the bar off Cedar Point for sheepshead but catched none." — — Map (db m116346) HM
This marker locates a part of the original trail which was cut out of the forest by the U.S. Army in 1868 to facilitate travel from Leech Lake to White Earth. Soldiers accompanied the paymasters along this road in the early days to provide . . . — — Map (db m8537) HM
On bluff to south stood Ft. Rosalie, established by the French in 1716. Became nucleus of settlements from which the Miss. Territory was founded. Near this marker stood the French warehouse that was a center of bloodshed during the Natchez Massacre . . . — — Map (db m126870) HM
Marked by the Daughters of the American Revolution in Mississippi 1909.
This historic thoroughfare from Natchez to Nashville, Tenn. was used as a mail route in 1796.
Although it was a well known Indian trail in far earlier days. — — Map (db m4555) HM
Erected by Captain John Russell, Commander of His Britannic Majesty's Sloop of War Scorpion, who gave his name to this residence and tract of fifty-five acres of land adjacent to the town of Brunswick. Subsequently owned and occupied by the British . . . — — Map (db m22372) HM
Thanks for our freedom
This Memorial, dedicated on November 11, 2015, and funded by private donations, honors the Men and Women Who Have Served Our Nation.
It was made possible through the heart, vision, dedication, and tireless efforts . . . — — Map (db m105916) WM
Dr. Forbes Barclay left Scotland in 1839 for Fort Vancouver (Washington) where he became chief physician for Hudson's Bay Company. He moved to Oregon City in 1850 where he practiced medicine for many years. He was one of Oregon City's early mayors, . . . — — Map (db m8692) HM
Born in Riviere du Loup, Canada, October 19, 1784.
1824 Came to the Oregon Country as Chief Factor of the Columbia Department of the Hudson's Bay Company.
1829 Located his claim to the present site of Oregon City.
1845 Resigned his position . . . — — Map (db m8699) HM
In memory of Eva Emery Dye and others who saved the McLoughlin House from demolition in 1909. The house was moved down Main Street and up Singer Hill to open as a museum on this location in 1910. Mrs. Dye was the author of “McLoughlin and Old . . . — — Map (db m8698) HM
Born in Washington Co. Va., Meek leaves home at age 18, arriving in St. Louis in the fall of 1828. Meek signs on as a trapper with the Rocky Mtn. Fur Co., remaining in the Rockies until 1839.
1839 - 1843: Meek travels to the Willamette Valley and . . . — — Map (db m8673) HM
Born in Oregon City
June 10, 1949
Killed in Action
February 23, 1971
Vice President Ford of the United States of America awarded posthumously in the name of Congress
The Medal of Honor
for conspicuous gallantry & intrepidity in . . . — — Map (db m8711) HM
On this site was an early firehall. Current structure was built as City Hall housing city offices, Police Dept., and the jail, all of which remained until the mid 40s. Oregon City Beauty School occupied main floor and basement for 22 years. Jail . . . — — Map (db m8747) HM
In the city he founded, in this house he built, lived Dr. John McLoughlin, 1846-57.
He won enduring fame for his generous and humane aid to early American settlers in the Oregon Country, as Chief Factor and Superintendent of the Hudson’s Bay . . . — — Map (db m8693) HM
Built by Ed Johnson as a full service barber shop with 4 chairs and bathing facilities. Basement still has massive brick boiler for hot water originally fired by sawdust from local mill. Converted to restaurant in 1986. — — Map (db m8746) HM
Oregon City - supply point for pioneer emigrants was first located as a claim by Dr. John McLoughlin in 1829. The first provisional legislature of the Oregon Country was held here in 1843 and land and tax laws formulated. Oregon City was the capital . . . — — Map (db m8700) HM
Oregon City - once known as Willamette Falls - was early the site of an Indian salmon fishing village. The falls furnished the power for a lumber mill which began operation in 1842. A flour mill in 1844. A woolen mill in 1864 and the first paper . . . — — Map (db m113515) HM
In memory of all who gave their lives for the preservation of American Freedom
Spanish American War
World War I
World War II
Harold L. Adams •
Harold D. Alt •
Alfred W. Anderson •
Harold A. Anderson •
Robert C. Baker •
Herman v. . . . — — Map (db m13264) HM
[Marker on Monument's front]:
In memory of veterans who served in all wars
"Never to be Forgotten"
Donated to the City of Sandy, Oregon
and dedicated on November 11, 1987 by members
of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of
the United . . . — — Map (db m8573) HM
Chief factor of the Hudson’s Bay Company at Fort Vancouver, philanthropist, and founder of Oregon City. The land on the east bank of the Willamette River at the falls was claimed by Dr. McLoughlin and the Hudson’s Bay Co. in 1828-29. First called . . . — — Map (db m8669) HM
From 1845 to 1849, George Abernethy was the first Provisional Governor of the Oregon Country, which extended from the Pacific Ocean to the Rocky Mountains and from California to Northern British Columbia. After arriving in Oregon in 1840 as part of . . . — — Map (db m8670) HM
Was early the site of an Indian salmon fishing village. The falls furnished the power for a lumber mill which began operation in 1842, a flour mill in 1844, a woolen mill in 1864 and the first paper mill in the Pacific Northwest in 1867. The first . . . — — Map (db m113514) HM
Still in use below this point-were opened on New Years Day, 1873, when the steamer Maria Wilkins became the first vessel to navigate up the west end of Willamette Falls. Farming and shipping interests had long sought to eliminate expensive portages . . . — — Map (db m8667) HM
In memory of the 304th Rescue Squadron aircrew members, who lost their lives on board aircraft King 56, while performing a training mission on the night of November 22, 1996. These men were Citizen Soldiers committed to the preservation of the . . . — — Map (db m11977) HM
This black diamond is a piece of the mammoth coal vein found in the Panther Valley. It was placed here on August 28, 1976 as a monument to the enterprising spirit of men such as Josiah White and Erskine Hazard, whose early pioneering efforts . . . — — Map (db m32266) HM
Formed March 13, 1843 from Northampton and Monroe counties. Carbon is the basic element of this area's rich deposits of anthracite coal. The county seat, incorporated in 1850 as Mauch Chunk, was renamed in 1954 for Jim Thorpe, Indian athlete. — — Map (db m32150) HM
"A few miles above Easton, the Lehigh was pocked with white water at almost every turning. To navigate it seemed impossible."
Josiah White, Co-founder of the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company
Pennsylvania's anthracite (hard coal) lay entombed . . . — — Map (db m32268) HM
On June 21, 1877, four "Molly Maguires," an alleged secret society of Irish mine-workers, were hanged here. Pinkerton detective James McParlan’s testimony led to convictions for violent crimes against the coal industry, yet the facts of the labor, . . . — — Map (db m32153) HM
Standing on the nearby hill is the home of Asa Packer, industrialist, philanthropist, congressman and founder of Lehigh University. The ornate mansion, built in 1860, has been carefully preserved with its original furnishings and is maintained as a . . . — — Map (db m32152) HM
The Self Made Man
"...there is no distinction to which any young man may not aspier, and with energy, diligence, intelligence, and virtue, obtain."
From Asa Packer's 1867 biography
"The Rich Men of the World and How . . . — — Map (db m32270) HM
To all the Brave Defenders of the Union from the County of Carbon.
Wilderness, Hampton Roads, Antietam, Gettysburg
New Orleans, 1815.
On . . . — — Map (db m32102) WM
1861 - 1865
Our country's crisis
by the citizens of
in memory of its noble
"— we here highly resolve that these dead . . . — — Map (db m32078) HM
Dedicate to the honor and sacrifice of our men and women who served their country.
"Let none forget they gave their all and faltered not when came the call."
World War I
1917 - 1918
Francis Deitrich •
Christ J. Luhman •
David G. Eroh . . . — — Map (db m32149) WM
An African American steelworker, Walker was burned to death by a mob near here on August 13, 1911. He was accused of killing Edgar Rice, a white security guard and a former borough policeman. Fifteen local men and teenage boys were indicted for . . . — — Map (db m14833) HM
In 1959 following the admission of Alaska and Hawaii to the Union, the U.S. Coast and Geodetic survey officially designated a point 20 miles north of Belle Fourche, South Dakota as the Geographic Center of the Nation.
Entry of Alaska and Hawaii . . . — — Map (db m4867) HM
The famous Chesapeake House occupies two old island homes. Hilda Crockett opened the business in 1944 in the Peter Crockett House with four guest rooms and a dining room on the porch. She expanded by purchasing the Nathan Rayfield House where the . . . — — Map (db m39952) HM
The former Noble Dise Store was replaced with the island's first mobile home in 1959.
Manufactured homes remain popular today, but require a community-wide effort to move one into place after being delivered to the island by barge. — — Map (db m39950) HM
In 1946, this building served as the first meeting place of the New Testament Congregation. It was vandalized several times during a rather contentious time in the island's religious history, a story reported in Newsweek, 1947.
Throughout the . . . — — Map (db m39682) HM
Dr. Charles Gladstone (1880 - 1968) was Tangier's longest serving doctor. He arrived in 1918 and was always on call. Monthly, he would go door-to-door to collect his flat fee of $1.50 but would accept whatever the family could afford. This monthly . . . — — Map (db m39684) HM
This is the site of the island's only unsolved murder. Charles C. "Bud" Connorton, the Town Sergeant, was eating in an earlier building here when he was fatally shot through an open window. His assailant was never identified. — — Map (db m39555) HM
The Methodist Parsonage, the home of the resident Reverend and his family, was erected in 1887. It is the only house on the island with a basement and the first to have an indoor bathroom.
It was the first house to have chain link fence, . . . — — Map (db m39949) HM
The most prominent of the island's buildings, Swain Memorial United Methodist Church is easily recognized as the focal point of Tangier.
Built in 1899 on the site of the island's second church (1842), it is the center of the Tangier's religious . . . — — Map (db m39998) HM
Mailboat Harbor replaced Steamboat Harbor in the 1930’s as the age of steamboats came to a close. The harbor was first dredged in 1922, from the Eastern side. In 1967, the harbor was dredged through to the Western side of the island. This was a . . . — — Map (db m39554) HM
The island was visited in 1608 by Captain John Smith, who gave it the name. A part was patented by Ambrose White in 1670. It was settled in 1686 by John Crockett and his sons’ families. In 1814, it was the headquarters of a British fleet ravaging . . . — — Map (db m46705) HM
The Connorton House was the home of the town Sergeant, Bud Connorton.
On Sunday April 11, 1920, Sergeant Connorton shot and wounded 17 year old Roland Parks. He was trying to enforce a town ordinance that forbade "loafing on store porches and . . . — — Map (db m39954) HM
The Doctor's House was owned consecutively by doctors Samuel Oglesby, William Daisey, Bache Gill, and Charles Gladstone. Dr. Gladstone never lived there, but boarded next door in the Sidney Crockett House.
Dr. Gladstone's former office still . . . — — Map (db m39951) HM
The Double Six Sandwich Shop is where the watermen meet at 3:00 AM for "smokes and coffee" before heading down to the docks to the day's work.
Named for the game of Dominos, the shop is open for sandwiches year-round, and was often considered a . . . — — Map (db m39683) HM
The Peter Dise House is one of the oldest on the island and was moved from the "Uppards," the now unoccupied marsh north of the harbor.
There were originally four fresh water wells on the island, two on Maine Ridge, one on Canton Ridge and one on . . . — — Map (db m39953) HM
Nelson County. In the foothills of Virginia’s Piedmont,
Nelson County was formed in 1807 from Amherst County. The county was named for Thomas Nelson, Jr., governor of Virginia from June to November 1781. The county seat is Lovingston. The . . . — — Map (db m44042) HM
Just to the south was Mount Warren, the home of Wilson Cary Nicholas. He served in the Continental army, represented Albemarle County in the General Assembly (1784–1789, 1794–1799), and was a delegate to the Virginia Convention of 1788 . . . — — Map (db m19406) HM
This monument marks the trail taken by the army of General Braddock which left Alexandria on April 20, 1755 to defend the western frontier against the French and Indians.
Erected by the Society of Colonial Dames of America . . . — — Map (db m7567) HM
As Planning Director (1977-1984) Engin Artemel led the City of Alexandria in planning for the transformation of its industrial waterfront to one that can be enjoyed by visitors and residents alike. Inspired by beautiful active urban waterfronts in . . . — — Map (db m99596) HM
Episcopal High School, on the hill to the southwest, was founded in 1839 as a boys' preparatory school, one of the first in the South; girls were admitted in 1991. The school was a pioneer in the establishment of student honor codes in preparatory . . . — — Map (db m7559) HM
Boundary Stone Southwest 3
District of Columbia
This plaque placed here on the 200th anniversary of the founding of the City of Washington D.C.
Placed here and protected by Colonel John Washington . . . — — Map (db m7638) HM
Half mile to the southwest. The idea for such an institution was conceived by a group of Alexandria and Washington clergymen in 1818. Among those interested was Francis Scott Key, author of the Star Spangled Banner. Originally at corner of . . . — — Map (db m7561) HM
This is the Hillsman House, used by the Unionists as a hospital in the engagement of April 6, 1865. From the west side of the creek the Confederates charged and broke through the Union infantry, but were stopped by the batteries along the . . . — — Map (db m8284) HM
Birthplace of Nellie Custis
the adopted daughter of
General George Washington
Original land grant 1669
Purchased by John Parke Custis
in 1778 from the Alexanders
for whom Alexandria Virginia
Destroyed by fire in 1930 . . . — — Map (db m15867) HM
The land that Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport occupies today was once part of Abingdon Plantation. Abingdon was the home of George Washington’s stepson, John Parke Custis, and birthplace of Washington’s beloved granddaughter, Nelly. . . . — — Map (db m8381) HM
The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority worked in concert with Federal, state and local historic preservation agencies and professionals in the field to develop the restoration plan for the Abingdon Plantation site. The restoration process . . . — — Map (db m8386) HM
The land that Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport occupies today was once part of a plantation. This hill and the ruins on it are all that remain of the house that stood here for nearly 190 years.
Abington, as this tract of land on the . . . — — Map (db m8377) HM
Abingdon Plantation was originally part of a 6,000 acre tract if land granted to Robert Howson in 1669. As master of a sailing ship, he was given the land in exchange for transporting settlers to the colony of Virginia. Howson sold it to John . . . — — Map (db m8378) HM
John Parke Custis was the adopted stepson of George Washington and had been raised at the nearby Washington estate of Mount Vernon. He and his wife, Eleanor Calvert, lived in New Kent County with their first two daughters. However, Custis wanted to . . . — — Map (db m8380) HM
After the Stuarts moved from Abingdon in 1793, the Alexander family once again owned the plantation. Robert Alexander III’s son, Walter, leased Abingdon to several families over the years. In 1807, he advertised the Abingdon estate for sale, ending . . . — — Map (db m8379) HM
During the late 1800s and early 1900s, the encroachment of industry transformed the landscape of Abingdon. Several brick companies purchased the land and began to manufacture brick on the site.
Various modes of transportation converged on . . . — — Map (db m8385) HM
Original marker: The officers and crew attached to the U. S. Steamer Lancaster, Flag Officer J. B. Montgomery, on her first cruise in these seas, erect this monument in memory of shipmates who died and are buried here.
Bronze . . . — — Map (db m100123) WM
This gap, just west, is named for Henry Cartmill who acquired land nearby on Purgatory Creek. During the French and Indian War (1754-1763), conflicts between Indians and settlers increased in this area. In 1757, Indians laid waste to several nearby . . . — — Map (db m18817) HM
We had confidence in him that knew no bounds...his loss was irreparable.
Wills Lee, Richmond Howitzers
News of Stonewall Jackson's death stunned the South. "A greater sense of loss and deeper grief never followed the death of mortal . . . — — Map (db m3310) HM
The farm office across the lawn is all that remains of the once-sprawling plantation called “Fairfield.” Thomas Coleman Chandler purchased Fairfield Plantation in 1845. For the next 17 years it prospered and evolved – largely at . . . — — Map (db m5604) HM
Lee vs. Grant – The 1864 Campaign
General Winfield Hancock’s Union Second corps left Spotsylvania Court House after sunset on May 290, 1864. It trudged south along dark roads, headed toward Milford Station on the Richmond, . . . — — Map (db m3308) HM
War brought profound changes to the Chandler family, Fairfield, and the slaves who toiled on the plantation. Three of Thomas Chandler’s sons enlisted in the Confederate army. When the Union army occupied Fredericksburg in 1862 many of Chandler’s . . . — — Map (db m3313) HM
Lt. Col. George Armistead (1780-1818)
Known for his service in the War of 1812, George Armistead was born here at Newmarket plantation. Armistead distinguished himself in 1813 during the capture of Fort George, Canada, but . . . — — Map (db m82167) HM
The daughter of Richard and Elizabeth Buckner and the widow of Charles Smith, Dorothy Smith married John Roy in 1719. John Roy was the owner of a tobacco warehouse at Port Royal, Virginia - a facility to which local planters brought their tobacco to . . . — — Map (db m57538) HM
Port Royal possessed the finest harbor on the middle reaches of the Rappahannock River. Although the town's permanent wharf had been destroyed by Union gunboats before the Battle of Fredericksburg, the excellent harbor made Port Royal an obvious . . . — — Map (db m57537) HM
Based on artifacts excavated in and around Port Royal, archaeologists estimate that the area was inhabited as early as 11,000 years ago. At the time the English arrived, the area was occupied by tribes united in a confederacy ruled by Powhatan. The . . . — — Map (db m57545) HM
Until the coming of the railroads in the 19th century, the Rappahannock River town of Port Royal was the commercial center of what is now Caroline County, Virginia. Like many ports, it was a raucous place and boasted a disproportionate number of . . . — — Map (db m57543) HM
On this lot in 1820 the first church to be constructed in the Town of Port Royal was built. The brick building had 12 windows and was inter-denominational. By 1844 it was known as the Methodist Church, even though ministers of other denominations . . . — — Map (db m57503) HM
The Battle Building at UVA Children's Hospital is named for Barry W. and William C. "Bill" Battle, longtime supporters of children's healthcare research and clinical care in central Virginia. Barry Webb Battle was inaugural chair of the UVA . . . — — Map (db m101182) HM
Hudson’s Bay Company established Fort Vancouver in 1824 within the area of present-day Vancouver, 83 nautical miles from the Pacific Ocean. Forty Wooden buildings were enclosed within a 20-foot high log palisade until the treaty of 1846 set the . . . — — Map (db m8400) HM
Harley H. Hall
Listed P.O.W. 1-27-73
The last pilot shot down in Vietnam just 10 hours before final cease fire was signed.
Vancouver, Washington — — Map (db m8513) HM WM
You are standing on the site of a once-bustling riverfront complex at Fort Vancouver. A boat building operation, blacksmith shop, and tannery filled the air with the sights, sounds, and smells of industry.
A busy place is this. The . . . — — Map (db m12292) HM
Before 1846 American immigrants traveling the Oregon Trail to Fort Vancouver had to make a choice at The Dalles (80 miles upriver from here). They could navigate their own handmade raft or take a Hudson's Bay Company boat down the Columbia River to . . . — — Map (db m12295) HM
These Napoleon 12-Poind Light Field Cannons are replicas created by Mountain View High School students during the 1990 to 1992 school years in Vancouver, Washington. They are the property of the City of Vancouver, which supplied materials. This . . . — — Map (db m8519) HM
[Panel 1]:Captain George Vancouver Monument
October 31, 1792
Lt. William Broughton
Named This Area
For His Captain
October 31, 1992
[Panel 2]:Boat of Discovery
“…The real story of George . . . — — Map (db m8516) HM
Capt. George Vancouver, from King’s Lynn, England, at age 35 and with orders from the British Admiralty to explore and chart the West Coast of America, charted hundreds of miles of coast line from California to Alaska. His maps . . . — — Map (db m8515) HM
This monument is presented to the city of Vancouver, Washington by the Congressional Medal of Honor Society, in recognition of the spirit and sacrifice shown by the valiant Medal of Honor recipients now at rest in the Vancouver Barracks Cemetery. . . . — — Map (db m22867) HM
Erected 1848 by Richard and Anne Charlotte Covington on Fourth Plain. Boarding school was conducted herein in 1850. This building housed first piano in the Oregon Country and was center of social activity in entire region. — — Map (db m8517) HM
Even before the advent of a U.S. Army Air Service field at Vancouver Barracks in 1921 and the eventual dedication of “Pearson Field” in 1925, aviation had early hallmarks at Vancouver Barracks.
As part of the 1905 Lewis and Clark . . . — — Map (db m83990) HM
In October 1832, the Japanese cargo ship Hojun Maru set sail from near Nagoya bound for Edo (present day Tokyo). Disabled in a storm off Enshu Nada, the Hojun Maru drifted for fourteen months before running aground on the coast near Cape Flattery, . . . — — Map (db m8423) HM
The history of Pearson Field goes back almost to the origins of mechanized flight itself. The landing site of Lincoln Beachey’s groundbreaking flight across the Columbia River from Portland to Vancouver, during the 1905 Lewis & Clark Exposition, . . . — — Map (db m8406) HM
Look around you. The scenic spot where you now stand was once the heart of one of the busiest shipping ports west of the Rocky Mountains. From 1825 to 1846, Fort Vancouver's waterfront served as the western economic artery of the Hudson's Bay . . . — — Map (db m12293) HM
[Top marker]:In loving memory of
Howard C. French
Major Air Corps Reserve
1894 – 1938
Dedicated by his comrades of the 321st Observation Squadron
United States Army Air Corps Reserve
In loving . . . — — Map (db m8962) HM
In Recognition of the People Who Have Inhabited this Region for Thousands of Years.
Ilchee Moon Girl
History says she was born along the Columbia River about 1800, daughter of Chinook Chief Concomley and, later, wife of Chief Casinos leader . . . — — Map (db m8422) HM
Registered National Historic Place
Advisory Council on Historic Preservation
Under the provisions of the National Historic Preservation Act of October 16, 1966, this property possesses exceptional value in commemorating or . . . — — Map (db m8523) HM
When the U.S. Army arrived in 1849 to establish a new post on the western frontier, few of the officers could afford to bring their families out to such a remote and lonely command. A thriving community of soldiers, officers, wives, and children . . . — — Map (db m8527) HM
Officers Row, a procession of homes for officers and their families, began during the early frontier years when Vancouver Barracks was considered by many to be a remote and lonely assignment. The first officer’s quarters on the Row wer log cabins . . . — — Map (db m8529) HM
Many employees of Fort Vancouver were of French-Canadian descent, and had been raised as Roman Catholics. Separated by thousands of miles from their home parishe, these men pleaded with the Bishop of Quebec to send them priests.
The Reverend . . . — — Map (db m8964) HM
Although the U.S. Army allowed civilian aircraft to land at Vancouver Barracks beginning in 1905, military aircraft began operating here in 1921, when the U.S. Army Air Service established a landing field for an aviation forest patrol. The patrol . . . — — Map (db m8405) HM
At the beginning of the 20th century, Vancouver was the headquarters for the Department of the Columbia, a vast administrative unit in the Northwest. The population of the post almost tripled in response to increased military activity both at home . . . — — Map (db m8742) HM
On June 20, 1937, the world’s attention turned to Pearson Field when a Russian ANT-25 aircraft landed after making the first non-stop flight over the North Pole.
The red and gray, single-engined aircraft “Stalin’s Route” carried over . . . — — Map (db m50830) HM
In 1824 the Hudson's Bay Company chose this place as the site for a new fort which they named Vancouver in honor of the British explorer, George Vancouver. Little is knowns of this fort as it was moved early in 1829 to its now well-known location . . . — — Map (db m8403) HM
When the U.S. Army arrived at Fort Vancouver in May of 1849, they quickly built nine log cabins for shelter against the upcoming winter. Shown here is the 1850 plan of the two-story post commander’s quarters. It is the only remaining structure built . . . — — Map (db m8499) HM
The Infantry Barracks is the oldest surviving structure in Vancouver Barracks proper. It was constructed in 1887, one of three identical buildings built to house individual companies of the 14th Infantry. Though it was built prior to the . . . — — Map (db m8741) HM
As part of a natural reorganization, the U.S. Army returned the headquarters of the Department of the Columbia from Portland, Oregon to Fort Vancouver in 1878. As a result, the Army funded construction of several new buildings on Officers Row, . . . — — Map (db m8959) HM
This Italianate-Revival style home was built in 1878 for General Oliver Otis Howard, Commanding General of the Department of the Columbia from 1874 until 1880.
This gracious home was considered ”the finest dwelling house north of the . . . — — Map (db m8572) HM
In 1904, the U.S. Army built a new Post Hospital at Vancouver Barracks as a part of a nationwide effort to modernize its forces. Unlike the previous one, the hospital was constructed with brick to enhance sanitation and boasted a spacious floor plan . . . — — Map (db m8739) HM
Following the nation’s entry into World War I, the American Red Cross was authorized to construct convalescent houses adjacent to military hospitals. These facilities provided recreation away from a hospital atmosphere, and helped boost the morale . . . — — Map (db m8743) HM
[Side one of six]: Under the influence of Dr. John McLaughlin, Manager of the Hudson Bay Co., civilization of Washington started at Vancouver, A.D. 1825.
[Side two of six]: The first school in Washington was taught by John Ball, at . . . — — Map (db m8383) HM
Near this site at Pearson Airfield on June 20th, 1937, three Soviet aviators completed the first non-stop flight from the U.S.S.R. to the U.S.A.
Command Pilot Valeri Chkalov, Co-Pilot Georgi Baidukov, and Navigator . . . — — Map (db m50831) HM
999 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 799