Although the town of Bartlett had regular electric service by 1905, farmers in the surrounding rural area were not supplied with electricity until thirty years later. On May 11, 1935, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt signed an executive order . . . — — Map (db m28816) HM
By the early 1900s Bartlett had become the railroad center of a prosperous cotton growing region. In 1903 the Bartlett Independent School district was created. By 1906-07 the 5-room schoolhouse here proved inadequate to house the district's . . . — — Map (db m29035) HM
Settlers began moving to this area in the 1830s, when Texas was a Republic, but the town of Bartlett was not established until the 1870s. The founders were J. Edward Pietzsch and Capt. John T. Bartlett, for whom the community was named. In 1882 the . . . — — Map (db m29040) HM
Colonists settled in the late 1840s along the fertile Donahoe Creek. Samuel Gibbs Leatherman (1799-1888) arrived in 1854 and opened the first mercantile store. He gave land for the cemetery and brought in the first doctor. In 1880 Leatherman donated . . . — — Map (db m29073) HM
Originally known as Pecan Grove Baptist Church, this fellowship was organized in 1873 by the Rev. M.V. Smith, the Rev. H.I. Kimball, and the Rev. G.W. Baines, great-grandfather of United States President Lyndon Baines Johnson. In 1884 the church was . . . — — Map (db m29036) HM
With overcrowded buildings at the African American school in southwestern Bartlett, the Bartlett trustees bought four buildings from Camp Swift in Bastrop to enlarge the facilities. A bond issue passed in 1948, and plans began for a U-shaped . . . — — Map (db m29037) HM
Established by German immigrants in 1880, the German-English School was an early school in the Bartlett area. First called Indian Creek School, the name was changed due to popular usage and the nature of instruction, which was in English during the . . . — — Map (db m29039) HM
The first Lutheran worship services in this area were held at the home of early German settler J.E. Pietzsch, who had moved from Austin County. In 1880 a small school and church building was erected on land donated by John Bartlett, for whom the . . . — — Map (db m29038) HM
The Stockton Family Cemetery is located on land originally granted in 1859 by Texas governor Hardin R. Runnels to Moses Allen, a veteran of the Siege of Bexar. Douglas Hayden Stockton and his wife Mary Elizabeth (White) brought their family to Bell . . . — — Map (db m28455) HM
What began in 1902 as an idea to organize a women's club with a focus on literature and history became a reality in April 1903, with the formation of a Woman's Study Club. Chartered with nineteen members under the leadership of Mrs. Vena (Holzgraf) . . . — — Map (db m29041) HM
Settlement began on Lampasas River, 1847. Created Jan. 22, organized Aug. 1, 1850. Named for Peter Hansbrough Bell (1812-1898), native of Virginia; veteran of Battle of San Jacinto; served in Somervell expedition to stop Mexico's Raids into Texas; . . . — — Map (db m29379) HM
Built in 1912 at the Santa Fe rail yards in Temple, this planing mill was part of a complex of buildings that housed repair facilities for the railroad. Workers at the mill manufactured replacement parts for wooden elements of the Santa Fe's boxcars . . . — — Map (db m29380) HM
A stockade and blockhouse of the Republic of Texas. Built in November, 1836, by a unit of some 20 Rangers under Lt. George B. Erath (soldier-statesman for whom Erath County was named).
By Christmas they had erected 7 or 8 cabins, a blockhouse and . . . — — Map (db m29378) HM
A native of South Carolina, Wilson Van Dyke served as a member of the Somervell Expedition, which was organized in 1842 to expel the Mexican Army from Texas. Under command of Col. W.S. Fisher, he crossed the Rio Grande and was captured. A survivor . . . — — Map (db m29382) HM
On this site in 1861-65, the William R. Alexander Distillery met a wartime need in Texas.
May 28, 1862, Governor Francis R. Lubbock closed all Texas distilleries, to save grain. Army calls for medicinal liquor (for opiate and stimulant purposes) . . . — — Map (db m29344) HM
Dr. David H. Armstrong, who served as one of the first trustees of the Salado public free schools, and his wife, Julia, built this home between 1869 and 1872. It later became the residence of a succession of Salado doctors, including Dr. D.G. Adams . . . — — Map (db m29257) HM
Great-granddaughter of builders. Daughter of Thomas S. and Mary Elizabeth (Robertson) Sutherland.
First woman vice president of student body, University of Texas. Married Leslie Carpenter; has 2 children. In 1954 was president Women's National . . . — — Map (db m29311) HM
Milton Wesley Damron (1825-1887), an early settler and Salado public servant, was born in Tennessee and came to Texas as part of the Mercer Colony. He arrived in the 1840s and shortly afterwards married Sarah Pennington. When original settlement . . . — — Map (db m29350) HM
One of many patented truss designs developed by American inventors and engineers in the mid- to late-19th century, this 87-foot lenticular truss bridge represents an unusual truss type in the United States. The lenticular design features a curved . . . — — Map (db m29256) HM
Educators Samuel Jackson (1858-1918) and Charlotte Hallaran (d. 1904) Jones taught at Salado College in 1884-1885. In 1890, the Joneses opened Thomas Arnold High School in the former Salado College buildings. Charlotte died in 1904, leaving five . . . — — Map (db m29375) HM
A graduate of the medical department of Kentucky's Transylvania University, South Carolina native Dr. Welborn Barton (1821-1883) came to Texas in the late 1840s. After two years of practicing medicine in Bastrop County, he returned to South Carolina . . . — — Map (db m29349) HM
A Baptist revival was held on the banks of Salado Creek as early as 1854. By about 1860, members of area Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian and Church of Christ denominations were meeting in an ecumenical house of worship. Each group held an all-day . . . — — Map (db m29083) HM
Built in the 1860s, this house was the residence of the Rev. George Washington Baines (1809-83) from 1870 to 1883. A pioneer Baptist preacher, missionary, editor, and educator, the Rev. Baines was the great-grandfather of United States President . . . — — Map (db m29313) HM
New Hampshire native Hermon (Herman) Aiken worked in Illinois and Tennessee before moving to New Orleans. There, he served as a ship’s captain taking supplies to Galveston in support of the Texas Revolution. He lived in Texas by 1840. In 1846, with . . . — — Map (db m29351) HM
Home of Wellborn Barton 1821-1883; Pioneer physician of this region. For many years a trustee of Salado College, built 1866. (John Hendrickson, Contractor)
Old military road and Chisholm cattle trail passed here. — — Map (db m29255) HM
When Addie Barton (1858-1921) was seven years old, her parents, Dr. Welborn and Louisa Barton, moved to Salado so their children could attend Salado College. Upon graduation, Addie became a teacher. She felt called to become a missionary in 1883 and . . . — — Map (db m29249) HM
A number of bridges have been built over Salado Creek on Main Street since 1870. After the town of Salado was laid out in 1859, citizens crossed the creek using various combinations of rocks and logs. When local citizens and students at Salado . . . — — Map (db m29081) HM
Before migrating to Texas, A. J. Rose made a fortune in the 1849 California Gold Rush. In 1857 he and his wife Sallie (Austin) brought their family from Missouri to Travis County, Texas. Later they settled in San Saba County, where Rose ran a mill . . . — — Map (db m29345) HM
Built about 1872 by Edward R.A. Buckles, this I-plan vernacular house exhibits Classical and Victorian detailing. Its two-story gallery features Doric columns on the ground level, which contrast with the Victorian turned wood columns and balusters . . . — — Map (db m29254) HM
Built 1860 at edge of an old Indian campground, by James B. Anderson, one of town’s founders and a school trustee in Salado. Community leaders, lawyers and doctors have lived here.
Boarding here in 1883 while a student at Old Salado College was . . . — — Map (db m29252) HM
This burial ground was likely in use about the time a U.S. Post Office was established in Salado Springs in 1852. In 1854 Col. Elijah Sterling C. Robertson purchased a large tract of land north and south of the springs that included the cemetery. It . . . — — Map (db m29348) HM
A native of Georgia, Robert B. Halley brought his family to this area about 1853. With partner T.J. Eubanks, he operated a liquor distillery and a flour and grist mill on the Lampasas River. Halley served as Bell County Commissioner in 1859 and as a . . . — — Map (db m29374) HM
Built by Col. E.S.C. Robertson and wife, Mary Elizabeth (Dickey).
Rare ante-bellum plantation complex, comprising home, servant quarters, land, family cemetery, stables. Still a working ranch.
The house, occupied by fifth generation of . . . — — Map (db m29310) HM
Established 1856 on 2.5-acre site given by E.S.C. Robertson.
Distinguished Texans interred here include the Rev. G.W. Baines, great-grandfather of President Lyndon B. Johnson; the Rev. and Mrs. J.E. Ferguson, parents of Governor James E. . . . — — Map (db m29376) HM
Founded in March 1859, this congregation first met in a brush arbor on the north bank of Salado Creek. The first two elders were James Anderson and J.W. Vickrey, both of whom were instrumental in the organization of Salado College. A frame . . . — — Map (db m29258) HM
Gushing limestone springs, abundant fish, flowers, and trees have long made the banks of Salado Creek a good home site.
Indians camped beside stream; Spanish explorers named it; the first Anglo-American settler was Archibald Willingham, 1851. . . . — — Map (db m29082) HM
In 1854, the Rev. Thomas Gilmore, a Methodist circuit rider, led a revival at Pecan Grove on the north side of Salado Creek. He organized a Methodist church and a Union Sunday school in a small frame building. During the next decades, the . . . — — Map (db m29347) HM
Dr. Samuel J. Jones (1857-1918) and his wife, Charlotte Hallaran Jones (d. 1904), established Thomas Arnold High School on this site in 1890. The school, which was actually a private academy, occupied the stone buildings vacated by Salado College, . . . — — Map (db m35242) HM
Constructed during the 1860s, the Stagecoach Inn was known as Salado Hotel and as Shady Villa before the current name was adopted in 1943. Military figures George Armstrong Custer and Robert E. Lee, and cattle baron Shanghai Pierce are among those . . . — — Map (db m29080) HM
Built in 1864 by William A. Davis First stone mill with carding machine in this vicinity. A sawmill and gin were added in 1866. French burrs, Leffel water wheel and silk bolt brought from Galveston by wagon in 1871. Made flour for Central Texas . . . — — Map (db m29251) HM
Built in 1870-72, this structure typifies the Greek Revival style with its symmetrical facade. The residence was constructed for former Confederate officer Archibald Johnson Rose (1830-1903) and his large family. A prosperous farmer, Rose . . . — — Map (db m29346) HM
Alabama native James Ferguson (1824-1876) became a Methodist preacher in Arkansas before moving to Texas in 1847. As a circuit rider for the next 20 years, he served Methodists in numerous parts of central and southeast Texas. Ferguson wed native . . . — — Map (db m29373) HM
Twelve Oaks, 1867-69. Greek Revival mansion built of stone from adjacent land, for B.D. McKie, Texas doctor who fought and was wounded in Mexican and Civil wars.
Restoration by parents of Lt. Henry Clay DeGrummond, Jr. World War II combat hero, . . . — — Map (db m29343) HM
Located in an area populated by former slaves following the Civil War, this cemetery dates to the 1870s. The earliest documented grave is that of Jozie Fulbright, who died in 1877, although according to local oral tradition there may be earlier . . . — — Map (db m29308) HM
The town of Bertram was founded in 1882 when the Austin and Northwestern Railroad established a route through the area. The community was named for Rudolph Bertram, an Austin merchant who was instrumental in the development of the rail line. Many . . . — — Map (db m27426) HM
When Bertram was founded in 1882 along the Austin & Northwestern Railroad, one of the first structures erected was a combination school, Sunday School, and Masonic Lodge hall. Rudolph Bertram, Austin Railroad executive for whom the town was named, . . . — — Map (db m27427) HM
Built as a defense against the Indians in 1855 by William Black (1815-1907) on land owned by him. In the stockade, constructed of cedar logs, sentries were kept on guard on moonlight nights. Guns and ammunition for public use were kept here. . . . — — Map (db m27429) HM
Some of the first settlers in this farming and ranching community were the William Alexander Faires family in 1874 and the Martin Luther Ater family the next year. The settlement was called "Pool Branch" for a nearby pool formed by a waterfall. In . . . — — Map (db m27539) HM
This cemetery, with interments dating back to the 1850s, became a community graveyard for the Sycamore Springs and Mahomet rural communities. In 1909 J. W. Williams and J. W. and Nellie Greer deeded the cemetery property to the community of Mahomet. . . . — — Map (db m27596) HM
Settlement in this part of Burnet County began in the 1850s. Two early communities were Mahomet and Sycamore Springs, originally located 8 miles from each other. Pioneers of Mahomet were George Ater, William G. Hall, and Mr. Sanford, while Sycamore . . . — — Map (db m27597) HM
Chartered Jan. 21, 1854; met in log schoolhouse.
Erected own lodge hall 1856 on land given by Grand Master Sam Mather and B. K. Stewart. First floor used as church and school. A fire in 1915 razed hall. Lodge rebuilt here 1916 on land given by G. . . . — — Map (db m27637) HM
John Jennings (1802-1867), his wife Sarah C. (Sally) (1806-1879), and their family came to this area in 1851. The settlement which grew up around their farm became known as Jennings Creek community. After Burnet County was created in 1852, John . . . — — Map (db m27638) HM
In the 1850s and 60s families settled on this farm and ranch land along the Middle Gabriel river. The Old Austin-Lampasas and Burnet-Belton roads intersected here. Six acres deeded by Alexander M. Barton in 1877 later became the site of a . . . — — Map (db m27701) HM
Anglo settlement of this part of Burnet County began in the 1850s. By the 1870s settlers had established cattle and sheep ranches as well as a number of family farms. A community school opened in 1882 and remained in operation until 1921. The . . . — — Map (db m27694) HM
John H. Bryson (1850-1930) and his wife Milda (Barton) (1852-1952) had this home constructed on their land in 1906 by local builder Marcus Langford. It is located on a site purchased in 1855 by Milda's uncle Welborn Barton and later owned by her . . . — — Map (db m27433) HM
The South Gabriel Post Office opened in Postmaster Thomas Lewiston's mercantile store on Sept. 29, 1871. The village, named for the South San Gabriel River, was also called Lewiston.
Located on the Austin-Burnet Road, the hamlet soon had two . . . — — Map (db m27727) HM
The Briggs State Bank was chartered on May 27, 1909. Constructed that spring, this limestone and brick building is typical of a commercial architecture style once popular in Texas. It features a three-bay front with central entry and transoms, and . . . — — Map (db m27432) HM
Pioneer settlers in this vicinity met together for worship services in the Gum Springs Schoolhouse until 1892, when Stephen Taylor deeded land at this site for church and cemetery purposes. This historic cemetery began in the churchyard of the First . . . — — Map (db m27695) HM
Pioneers mainly from the Old South settled here on the Aaron Boyce land grant in the 1860s and 70s. They had a school, and held church services, at Gum Springs in the 1880s. In 1888 a post office opened at Taylor's Gin Store; this was renamed in . . . — — Map (db m120919) HM
Kentucky native Adam Rankin Johnson (1834-1922) came to Texas in 1854. After attaining the rank of brigadier general in the Confederate Army, Johnson later settled in Burnet County where he was active in business and civic affairs. In 1882 he . . . — — Map (db m27397) HM
The Rev. Richard Howard (1817-1882) moved to this area of Burnet County in 1855. The frontier settlement he joined would later be known as the Bethel community. In 1874 he deeded two acres at this site for community use. The first recorded burial . . . — — Map (db m27428) HM
Formed from portions of Travis, Williamson and Bell counties. Created Feb. 5, 1852; organized August 28, 1852. Named in honor of David G. Burnet (1788-1870), president of the Provisional Government of the Republic of Texas in 1836. County seat, . . . — — Map (db m27463) HM
The Dobyville Cemetery is the last visible remnant of the community of Dobyville. Settled in the 1850s, and named for the town’s location on a white adobe rock hill. The cemetery contains more than 230 marked graves, between 60 and 70 graves are . . . — — Map (db m27485) HM
Home County of Texas Confederate General Adam R. JohnsonJoined C. S. Army 1861. Cavalry scout with Gen. Nathan B. Forrest 1861-62. Commanded Partisan Rangers 1862-64 executing daring exploits behind enemy lines in Kentucky area. Took . . . — — Map (db m27537) HM
Indians had probably visited these clear, cool springs for centuries when, in 1847, Henry E. McCulloch established a Ranger camp here, on Hamilton Creek. A year later, Samuel E. Holland (1826-1917), a Georgian, decided while visiting the camp that . . . — — Map (db m27533) HM
Established in 1850 by the Rev. Isaac Hoover, of local Methodist Protestant church. He came from Tennessee; soon initiated services in nearby oak grove. Oldest stone dates from about 1850. Another grave is of Whitlock family, killed by Indians. . . . — — Map (db m27534) HM
Sponsored by the nearby Robert E. Lee Lodge, Lake Victor Lodge No. 1011, A. F. & A. M. was formally established in December 1909 during the 73rd Annual Grand Communications of the Grand Lodge of Texas. The first meeting of the Lake Victor Lodge took . . . — — Map (db m27578) HM
Longhorn Cavern opened as a state park in 1932. From 1934 to 1942, Company 854 of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worked here to explore and develop the cavern. Using hand labor and native materials, the CCC workers built this structure in a . . . — — Map (db m27593) HM
Rich in history and folklore. A young geologic formation, only a few million years old. Bones of elephant, bison, bear, deer, other animals have been found here. When white men came to area in 1840's, Indians knew the caverns; Rangers once found and . . . — — Map (db m27594) HM
Surrounded by a rock wall, the small pioneer family cemetery just west of this site is located on land that was once part of the William H. Magill homestead. Magill, a veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto, moved his family to Burnet County in 1850. . . . — — Map (db m27595) HM
Jacob Wolf (1812-1874) and wife Adeline Faulkner Wolf (1814-1870) came from Tennessee to Texas about 1850. Obtaining land grant in Burnet County, they settled at Dobyville, and were pioneers, supplying their own provisions, buildings, medicines, and . . . — — Map (db m27738) HM
Naruna Baptist Church Settlers came to the Naruna area as early as the 1840s, and the town was named by its first postmaster, William M. Spitler, who came to Texas on the riverboat Naruna. Residents formed Providence Baptist Church in July 1877 . . . — — Map (db m27639) HM
William M. Spitler became Naruna’s first postmaster in 1878, and he named the town after the riverboat that carried him to Texas from Tennessee. At that time, Naruna was an agricultural community with store, school, churches, fraternal lodges and . . . — — Map (db m27640) HM
Built 1873 in Victorian style, with large bay window, solid walnut staircase, three fireplaces; was remodeled but retains original floor plan. House was bought 1890 by Judge J. G. Cook, a noted lawyer, and remained in Cook family several generations. — — Map (db m27480) HM
Logan Vandeveer (1815-55), a hero of the 1836 Battle of San Jacinto, came here about 1849 as a Fort Croghan beef supplier. He became first United States Postmaster in Burnet and in 1854 built this native stone structure. With a partner named Taylor, . . . — — Map (db m27693) HM
Once a busy rural community. Named for Mrs. Martha (Webster) Strickling, who settled here in 1853 with husband Marmaduke. As child, she survived killing of some 30 settlers in infamous Webster Massacre near Leander, and months of Indian captivity. . . . — — Map (db m27730) HM
Completed about 1883, this two-story limestone structure is representative of other commercial buildings located on the Courthouse Square in the 1880s. It was built for local financier Dr. W. H. Westfall and Captain Brandt Badger (b. 1839), a native . . . — — Map (db m27398) HM
Established in the early 1870s, this weekly newspaper has been in continuous operation for more than one hundred years. The first editor on record was George Whitaker, who served in that position until 1874. In 1898, the paper was sold to L. C. and . . . — — Map (db m27435) HM
The original part of this house was built in 1856. The adobe and rock residence, owned by Maj. Hugh H. Calvert, also served as an inn. Local landowner Enoch Brooks bought the home in 1885 and made major additions to the structure. Significant . . . — — Map (db m27492) HM
William H. and Mary Russell built this Victorian residence in 1883-84. Russell, a veteran of the Civil War (1861-65), headed the Burnet school system about 15 years. Sold in 1895, the house had such tenants as J. W. Edgar, later state commissioner . . . — — Map (db m27700) HM
Established in 1884, the original Marble Falls Post Office was built south of the Colorado River. William P. Cochran, appointed postmaster in 1901, built this structure in 1910 and leased it to the U. S. Government for use as a post office. It . . . — — Map (db m27396) HM
Brandt Badger (1839-1920), a veteran of the Confederate Army, moved to Burnet from Gonzales in 1885, and in 1887, helped found Marble Falls. He built this house in 1888 of granite from nearby "Granite Mountain". The stones were cut from quarry . . . — — Map (db m27425) HM
Juliet Johnson, daughter of the founder of Marble Falls, married George Christian in 1887. He was one of ten owners of the Texas Mining & Improvement Company that developed the town. The first town lots were sold in 1887, and in 1892 this house was . . . — — Map (db m27478) HM
Backbone Valley's first public building, started 1859 on 7-acre tract donated that year by heirs of settler Jefferson Barton. Finished 1870, chapel was named for the Rev. Arter Crownover (1810-76), whose preaching of Methodist faith opened its use. . . . — — Map (db m27482) HM
Entomologist Ferdinand Lueders made the earliest recorded discovery of this cave in 1821. Notorious in the Civil War era, the hole is believed to have been the dumping ground for up to 17 bodies, including those of pro-Union Judge John R. Scott and . . . — — Map (db m27483) HM
President of the 1861 Secession Convention and a Confederate officer, Oran M. Robert (1815-1898) served as governor of Texas from 1879 to 1883. After leaving office, he became a law professor at the University of Texas. He built this cottage at . . . — — Map (db m27696) HM
William H. Hoag, an electrical engineer from New York City, and his wife Beatrice built this house in 1910. The Hoags sold the house to local farmer and rancher Sam Faubion in 1914. Faubion rented the home to rancher, farmer, piano tuner, and Burnet . . . — — Map (db m27532) HM
The town of Marble Falls was laid out in 1887. Texas Mining & Improvement Co. deeded land for a depot to Austin & Northwestern Railroad. This building was erected in 1893 and then Southern Pacific Railroad bought the line and property. Area . . . — — Map (db m27598) HM
The potential of water power on the Colorado River led town developer Gen. Adam R. Johnson and Farmers Alliance members to build a cotton mill on this site in the 1890s. The two-story stone factory, 300 ft. long and 100 ft. wide, was erected for the . . . — — Map (db m27599) HM
Adam R. Johnson donated land at this site for construction of the present two-story granite building. Completed in 1891, it originally housed the Marble Falls Alliance University. Near Backbone Creek, east of this main building, a wooden boarding . . . — — Map (db m27600) HM
Ernst Gustav Michel (1865-1930), a native of Germany, and his wife, Lillie Agnes, opened a drugstore at this site in 1891. After fire destroyed the first store in 1905, Michel built a 3-story edifice here. The first floor housed the drugstore and . . . — — Map (db m27635) HM
Banker Otto Ebeling (1863-1935) built this Victorian residence for his wife, Emille (Giesecke), and their four children shortly after moving to Marble Falls in 1891. Ebeling sold the property in 1913 when he moved to Austin. Over the years the . . . — — Map (db m27487) HM
George C. and Elizabeth Roper constructed this double-galleried hotel building about 1888. In the growing town of Marble Falls, The Roper Hotel became a popular stop for visiting businessmen and dignitaries. It was purchased by W. F. Smith in 1926 . . . — — Map (db m27699) HM
The Nat Tobey family moved from Indiana to northeast Burnet County in the 1850s. Sons Avery and Samuel bought land here in Backbone Valley in 1868. At the death of N. W. Tobey, aged 12, this cemetery was opened in 1872. A church and school stood . . . — — Map (db m27736) HM
The first settlers in this rich farm and ranch land arrived in the 1850s. Oakalla Post Office was established May 19, 1879. Schools were private until a cooperative was built which provided classrooms on the second floor. Oakalla boasted a doctor, . . . — — Map (db m27641) HM
James Gibson Smith, Jr., a native of Tennessee, married Sarah A. James, a native of Arkansas, soon after settling in this part of Burnet county in 1850. Together they raised eight children and set aside this site as the family cemetery. Their . . . — — Map (db m27702) HM
This cemetery, which began with the burial of Mary J. Tobey in 1872, overlooks a stretch of the Lampasas River valley named for Nathaniel Wheeler Tobey (1810-1892). A blacksmith from Connecticut, Tobey settled on several hundred acres here about . . . — — Map (db m27734) HM
This building, once a combined school and church, was erected in 1869 in Oatmeal, second oldest community in Burnet County. The settlement, founded in 1849, had a post office from 1853 to 1876.
This limestone structure was successor to the first . . . — — Map (db m27692) HM
Some of the earliest pioneers of the Oatmeal community are interred in this cemetery. The oldest documented burials are those of Mary Smith and her year-old daughter, Fanny, both of whom died on September 16, 1854. Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Roundtree . . . — — Map (db m27690) HM
The once thriving community of Rockvale began as a pioneer settlement in the 1850s. A log cabin built in 1855 served as a school and church. A baptist church was erected in 1856 and had eight charter members. Over 36 acres of land were deeded by . . . — — Map (db m27697) HM
Overlooking one of the city's four public squares platted in 1893, this site was obtained from the Texas Legislature in 1913 for a public library. Completed in 1933, this building represents the most prominent public work of Austin native Hugo . . . — — Map (db m25757) HM
A native of North Carolina, Abner Cook came to the newly created capital city of Austin in 1839 with a skill in design and construction that soon earned him the title of master builder. Working as architect, engineer, and contractor, Cook produced . . . — — Map (db m43478) HM
Built in 1935 for Mary Susie Sheedy, this house changed hands three times before being purchased by University of Texas electrician Charles J. Addcox and his wife, Addie Lee, a homemaker and nursery school operator, in 1944. It became known as the . . . — — Map (db m25742) HM
Texas in 1861-1865 had 90,000 men fighting for the south – many in units east of the Mississippi. Yet at home she had to defend 2,000 miles of coastline and frontier from constant threats made by Federals, Indians and outlaws.
The State . . . — — Map (db m43118) HM
Many African Americans, free and slave, supported Texas during its 1835-36 war of independence from Mexico. Although official recognition of the African American role was generally denied, recorded accounts of individual acts of bravery and . . . — — Map (db m25746) HM
This edifice stands on the mid-1840s land grant of former Republic of Texas President Mirabeau B. Lamar, and near the official residence of the second Bishop of the Diocese of Texas, the Rt. Rev. George Herbert Kinsolving (1849-1928). Aided by the . . . — — Map (db m25747) HM
A native of Alabama, Andrew Jackson Hamilton moved his family to Texas in the 1840s. He served as State Attorney General and as a member of the State Legislature before being elected to the U.S. Congress in 1859. An opponent of secession, he left . . . — — Map (db m25682) HM
Voted Austin's most worthy citizen twice, Indiana native Andrew Jackson Zilker (1858-1934) grew up with a strong respect for the laborers along the Ohio River. He came to Austin penniless in 1876 but quickly became a businessman and bank director. . . . — — Map (db m25697) HM
Originally built in the 1870s for Austin pioneer Ashford McGill, this native limestone structure and the surrounding property were purchased by Andrew J. Zilker who conveyed the land to the city for a park in 1931. Remodeled by the Federal Civil . . . — — Map (db m25701) HM
Tax supported, locally controlled secondary education began in Austin in 1881 with the establishment of a high school department in the city school district. Plans for implementing the program were developed under the leadership of school board . . . — — Map (db m25705) HM
An ornate, red brick building at this site served as the first structure in town built for the public high school, founded in 1881. Construction of the facility was hastened when classrooms in the former temporary State Capitol at 11th and Congress . . . — — Map (db m25753) HM
In Edwin Waller’s 1839 plan for the City of Austin, two blocks were set aside for schools at Rio Grande and 12th Street, then called College Avenue. The Austin School Board in 1881 authorized the use of existing school facilities on the south block . . . — — Map (db m25755) HM
This seminary had its origins in the Austin School of Theology, begun in 1884 by the Rev. Dr. Richmond Kelley Smoot and the Rev. Dr. Robert Lewis Dabney to provide training for candidates for the Presbyterian ministry whom the founders hoped would . . . — — Map (db m121806) HM
The Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary held its first classes in a donated building at 9th and Navasota. President T.R. Sampson, hoping to create a strong association between the seminary and the University of Texas, promoted the relocation of . . . — — Map (db m121809) HM
While Texas was a frontier state and psychiatry a pioneer venture, the Texas Legislature in 1856 created this hospital for the mentally ill; in 1925, named Austin State Hospital.
Oldest Texas mental hospital.
Construction began in 1857. The . . . — — Map (db m25758) HM
Begun as family residence by Mrs. Catherine North in 1874. Completed in style of French Chateau by Austin banker, Maj. Ira Evans, 1892.
Bought by charter members, A.W.C., 1929. Remodelled, using 19th century materials. — — Map (db m25759) HM
An active place during the Civil War, Austin was the site of the Secession Convention, March 2, 1861, and legislative sessions which lasted until June 1865. City visitors during the early 1860s included lobbyists, cotton speculators, military . . . — — Map (db m25723) HM
City of Austin Marker:
This is one of 31 original moonlight towers installed in Austin in 1895. Seventeen remain. Each tower illuminated a circle of 3000 feet using 6 carbon arc lamps (now mercury vapor). Austin's tower lights are the sole . . . — — Map (db m26157) HM
Curving through the center of Texas from Hill County south and west to Uvalde County is the rugged escarpment-fault called Balcones. The abundance of natural resources associated with this geologic formation affected the pattern of colonization in . . . — — Map (db m71914) HM
Built in 1898 for cotton merchant William Braxton Barr (1864-1902) and his wife, Matilda (Tilly) Birdwell (1868-1951), this home was designed by Austin architect Charles Page. Barr named the surrounding community after his grandfather Capt. Erasmus . . . — — Map (db m25740) HM
Clear and icy, these springs over the years have drawn Indians, pioneers, and tourists to this spot. The waters are brought from the limestone strata to the surface by the Balcones Fault, which bisects Central Texas. Average flow is 27,000,000 . . . — — Map (db m25770) HM
Hermann Becker (1857-1933) operated a successful downtown café, and he bought part of the historic Bouldin homestead in south Austin in 1891. His son H.E. Becker and son-in-law P.A. Wilde, proprietors of the Becker Lumber Company, donated three . . . — — Map (db m43692) HM
This cemetery was established in the late 1800s when burial space set aside for African Americans in Austin's historic Oakwood Cemetery was no longer available. The oldest recorded burial is that of infant Hellen Moore in 1879. C. W. Jones purchased . . . — — Map (db m25774) HM
Blackshear Elementary School opened in 1891 to provide free public education to African-American children in the community then known as Gregory Town, Blackshear Elementary School was known in earlier years as School No. 3, Gregory Town School and . . . — — Map (db m25776) HM
When Edwin Waller surveyed the Austin townsite in 1839, he set aside this block, in what was then the northeast corner of the city, for a hospital. The site lay empty until 1884, when the City of Austin and Travis County jointly opened a 20-bed, . . . — — Map (db m25779) HM
This simple Vernacular Rough Ashlar house represents the life style of the late 19th century working middle class family in Austin. The exterior proportions of the structure reflect Victorian influence. Built of limestone about 1870 by John R. . . . — — Map (db m25780) HM
Albert and Rebecca Buddington built the first part of this compound as their home c. 1860. In 1921, it became the home of Dr. Harry Y. Benedict, a mathematician who served as University of Texas Professor and President. Delia Edwards, a later owner, . . . — — Map (db m25789) HM
Colonial Revival mansion built 1902 by Austin financier Louis Nicholas Goldbeck. Sold 1908 to Texas Association of Phi Gamma Delta, national fraternity first chartered in Texas in 1856.
Housing Tau Deuteron Chapter, this has been campus residence . . . — — Map (db m25790) HM
The original 85-acre tract (gift of Austin citizens in 1892) was the site of annual encampments for the Texas Volunteer Guard, an elite militia constituted in 1876. Because larger maneuver, parade, and drill areas were needed, the guardsmen worked . . . — — Map (db m25791) HM
Here sleep Capt. and Mrs. Chauncey Johnson. Capt. Johnson was born in Burlington, Vermont May 1, 1798. Served in the War of 1812. Came to Texas in 1840. Captured by General Adrian Woll at San Antonio, September 11, 1842 and imprisoned in Mexico. . . . — — Map (db m25696) HM
A soldier in the Army of Texas, 1835. Commander of Company C. First Regiment, Texas Volunteers at San Jacinto. Member of the 1st and 2nd Congresses of the Republic. Participated in the Woll Campaign, 1842. Member of the Senate, 5th and 8th . . . — — Map (db m25775) HM
Born in Mississippi November 25, 1810. Came to Texas in 1833. A volunteer in the Army at Anahuac, 1835. Commanded a company at the Capture of San Antonio, 1835. Signed the Texas Declaration of Independence. Commanded a company at San Jacinto. First . . . — — Map (db m25676) HM
Leonidas D. Carrington (1816-97) and his wife, Martha Hill Carrington (1824-59), came to Austin from Mississippi in 1852. He began to accumulate real estate and on Sept. 15, 1853, bought this block from James M.W. Hall, Austin hotelman, and ten days . . . — — Map (db m25792) HM
Tradition holds that a family passing through the area in 1912 buried a child, Maria de la Luz, at this site. In August of that year, A. Donley, A.C. Rodriguez and S. Galvan bought the land for use as a Mexican cemetery. In the 1940s, a fire set to . . . — — Map (db m25797) HM
In 1847, Eight years after the City of Austin was platted, ten members of the Disciples of Christ Brotherhood met to organize this congregation. Although early records of the church are scarce, it is known that regular worship services were being . . . — — Map (db m25798) HM
This congregation traces its roots to October 13, 1839, when Austin’s first Presbyterian worship service was held at Bullock’s Hotel. Present that day was builder Abner Cook, elder in the first Presbyterian church organized in Austin. He helped . . . — — Map (db m25633) HM
Patriot, philanthropist, writer, public figure, born at St. Mary’s, Refugio County; daughter of Robert and Julia Fox Driscoll, and descendant of a hero of San Jacinto; was educated in Texas, New York and France.
In 1903 came her finest hour. When . . . — — Map (db m25853) HM
Historic black neighborhood. Settled in 1871 when Charles Clark, a freedman, bought two acres of land on present Tenth Street. This formed the nucleus of the community that Clark, according to tradition, wanted to start for his people.
For years . . . — — Map (db m25800) HM
Constructed during the period 1912-1914. This building was the seventh United States post office location in Austin, Texas. The supervising architect for the Neoclassical Revival style structure was James Knox Taylor of the U.S. Treasury Department. . . . — — Map (db m26000) HM
Georgia native Lewis Washington came to Texas about 1835 and joined the revolutionary forces at San Antonio. A member of Col. Fannin’s staff, he served with the Georgia battalion at Refugio and Goliad. He was appointed to an office in Sam Houston’s . . . — — Map (db m26725) HM
When Texas seceded, Feb. 1, 1861, the 8th Legislature was in Austin in a called session, adjourned Feb. 9.
On March 18, the 8th came back for a second called session; the 9th and 10th Legislatures in turn were harassed with problems of the Civil . . . — — Map (db m26644) HM
In his original 1839 plan for the capital city, Edwin Waller, signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and Austin’s first Mayor, designed Congress Avenue as Austin’s most prominent street. Known for many years as “The Avenue”, the . . . — — Map (db m101557) HM
Daniel H. Caswell came to Austin from Nashville, Tennessee, about 1895. He purchased a cotton oil manufacturing company, bought and sold cotton, and in 1899 built a cotton gin. When completed for his family in 1900, this house was located in the far . . . — — Map (db m25796) HM
Participated in the disturbance at Anahuac June, 1832 and the storming and capture of Bexar, December 5 to 10, 1835. Born in North Carolina February 20, 1801. Died in Goliad County, Texas March 4, 1881.
Eliza Hancock Shipman
Wife of Daniel . . . — — Map (db m25666) HM
George W. Davis (ca. 1809-1884), his wife Emiline P. Moore Davis (1810-1872) and family arrived in Texas in 1835. George served in Captain Mosely Baker’s company at the Battle of San Jacinto while Emiline spent six weeks with the children on the . . . — — Map (db m26778) HM
Real estate developers Mary and Nannie Dawson built this house about 1900 as part of the South Heights expansion of Austin. The sisters were pioneer teachers in free public school system.
Mary (Molly) was principal of Fulmore School, but she left . . . — — Map (db m29539) HM
Among the Swedish immigrants who settled in Decker in the 1880s were many seeking freedom from the Swedish State Church. The immigrants held meetings in homes and schoolhouses, and organized the Decker Swedish Evangelical Free Church. Joseph Ek . . . — — Map (db m25714) HM
First settlers in this area on Decker Creek were Swedish immigrants, who attended church in Austin from 1867 to 1870s.
Beginning in 1871, the Rev. C.C. Charnquist of Austin preached in homes. With advent of more settlers, a church was erected and . . . — — Map (db m25665) HM
Swedish immigrant Charles Johnson built a large home for his family on 39 acres of land in this vicinity in the 1850s. In 1902 two of his children, Mary and Henry, opened Deep Eddy Resort. The Johnsons named the park for a deep hole in the limestone . . . — — Map (db m25826) HM
Following the U.S. entry into World War II, the Army Air Corps established a base here in the Del Valle community on land once a part of the Santiago del Valle Mexican land grant. The City of Austin purchased 3,000 acres to lease to the federal . . . — — Map (db m25631) HM
This structure originated as a one-story limestone dwelling. Built between 1869 and 1871 by Charles Denny. Mrs N.L. Holliday, a widow with six children, purchased the house in 1898 and added the second floor in 1906. The residence was later occupied . . . — — Map (db m25669) HM
The State of Texas instituted a public school system for African-American students during Reconstruction. This segregation of students was further established through the 1896 United States Supreme Court decision in Plessy v. Ferguson, which . . . — — Map (db m42891) HM
Arrival on Sept. 21, 1874, of two brothers of Holy Cross
James Doyle (1795?-1866). A native of Ireland, came to Texas in 1835. He was a stonemason, and in 1853 had charge of part of the work on the . . . — — Map (db m25852) HM
A volunteer at Anahuac, 1832. Member of the Consultation, 1835. Commander of the schooner “Flash”, 1836. Most Worshipful Grand Master Grand (Masonic) Lodge of Texas, 1848-49. Born in Virginia, September 30, 1801. Died in Grimes County, . . . — — Map (db m44241) HM
Born in New York, January 8, 1801. Died in Bastrop County, Texas, October 31, 1853. Doctor-lawyer, soldier, legislator.
Delegate to the Second Convention of Texas, 1833 * Physician in the Army of Texas, . . . — — Map (db m25888) HM
Built 1885-86 by Col. Jesse L. Driskill (1824-1890), cattle king who moved to Austin in 1869. Brick dressed with limestone. Had three grand entrances – one the largest arched doorway in Texas. “Ladies’ Entrance” was on northeast, . . . — — Map (db m25634) HM
The Rev. C. Ward organized this church in the home of Mrs. Elisa Hawkins in 1875 as the Third Baptist congregation in Austin. A small frame structure at Catalpa and Curve Streets was the place of worship for ten years. A brick sanctuary in Gothic . . . — — Map (db m42890) HM
Noted economist and University of Texas professor Edmund T. Miller (1878-1952) and his wife, Emily (1884-1979), an artist and member of the pioneer Maverick family of San Antonio, acquired this property in 1922. The design for their Mediterranean . . . — — Map (db m26150) HM
World-renowned sculptor; lived 35 years in Texas, where she executed works of many noted citizens.
Born in Muenster, Westphalia, Germany, Elisabet grew up beautiful, talented, and self-willed. At 19 she began to study at the Academy of Arts, . . . — — Map (db m99581) HM
Elvira T. Manor Davis (1841-1918) was reared in east Travis County near present-day Manor, Texas. Named for her father, she married Blackstone H. Davis whose family owned quarry, supplied stone for the 1853 Texas Capitol. Elvira widowed and the . . . — — Map (db m25687) HM
After attorney Robert G. West (1860-1904) died, his widow Emma Grant West (1865-1952) had this structure built to provide rental income for support of their four children. Erected by contractors Fischer & Lambie in 1905, the brick edifice had one . . . — — Map (db m26766) HM
One of earliest one-room rural schoolhouses in Travis County, this cabin was built on property of Richard McKenzie in 1866. It was known as Esperanza School and served children from neighboring farms in the period before public education. In 1893 . . . — — Map (db m79395) HM
The community of Dessau was founded in 1854 by German immigrants, including the Wieland, Nauert, Nehring, Grosskopf, Krueger, Goerlitz, and Hennig families. The pioneers worshiped in private homes until this sanctuary was built about 1876. Labor and . . . — — Map (db m25872) HM
Ironsmith Fortunat Weigl (1884-1973) migrated to Austin in 1913 from Germany with his wife Anna and sons F. Lee and Herbert. Work was scarce until 1917, when Weigl was commissioned by the noted local woodcarver Peter Mansbendel, who supplied a forge . . . — — Map (db m26728) HM
The University of Texas held its first classes in the temporary capitol at this site on Sept. 15, 1883. Fifty-two of the 218 original students were registered in the law department. They were taught by former Governor of Texas Oran M. Roberts . . . — — Map (db m25647) HM
The oldest black Baptist church in the city, the fellowship grew from the slave membership of the First Baptist Church of Austin. In 1854 the committee on religious conditions of the colored population recommended to the churches of the Austin . . . — — Map (db m42887) HM
In 1853, missionary Rev. E.B. Crisman formally organized the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in Austin. Members met in a frame building at 7th and Lavaca streets until 1892, when they replaced it with a stone structure. In 1906, a dispute over a . . . — — Map (db m25879) HM
In 1840, shortly after Austin was incorporated, the Rev. John Haynie (1786-1860), a Methodist circuit rider from the Mississippi Conference, led 14 members in forming this fellowship. They worshiped at temporary sites, including the Capitol building . . . — — Map (db m25883) HM
Prussian native Joseph Fischer (1826-1889) constructed this home for his family in 1882 with the help of his son Francis. Skilled stonemasons, Joseph and Francis Fischer developed one of Austin’s leading masonry contracting businesses and worked in . . . — — Map (db m25706) HM
Two area pioneers were Josiah Fisk, who arrived in 1846, and Edward Zimmerman, who came in 1854; both brought their families to the farming lands outside Austin. Zimmerman became the first Postmaster in 1873, when more than 150 people lived in . . . — — Map (db m25884) HM
Erected in the year 1841 by Conte Alphonse Dubois de Saligny, Charge D’Affaires for King Louis Philippe of France, to the Texas Republic. He lived here 1841-1842.
House constructed of Bastrop pine, in Louisiana Bayou style.
Furnishings include . . . — — Map (db m25673) HM
Born in Kentucky 1803. Came to Texas in 1840 from Mississippi. Associate Justice, Supreme Court, 1840. Secretary of State, 1841. Attorney General, 1841-42. Charge d'affairs of the Republic of Texas to England, France and Spain 1844-45. Died in . . . — — Map (db m25693) HM
Commanded Co. D., First Regiment of Texas Volunteers at San Jacinto. A member of 1st and 3rd Congresses of the Republic and later a Brigadier General of Militia. Born in Virginia Sept. 20, 1802. Died in Houston, Texas Nov. 4, 1848. His wife Eliza . . . — — Map (db m25765) HM
Former Confederate Army Captain and leading Austin merchant George W. Sampson (1825-88) married Mary Goodwin Hall (b. 1845), niece of Gov. Edmund J. Davis. Their wedding in 1872 was the first held in the Governor’s Mansion. In 1875 the Sampsons . . . — — Map (db m26497) HM
In Feb. 1926 the Austin Public Library opened in a room over a downtown store. Within months, the books were moved to this structure, built at Guadalupe and Ninth St., across from Wooldridge Park. In 1933, with completion of a permanent library . . . — — Map (db m25793) HM
Merchant Philip Henry Gerhard (1850-1906) and wife Lena had this house built by contractor Herman S. Love in 1887. It was said to be first 2-story brick veneer home in Austin; it was enlarged in 1891. The Gerhards’ daughter Clara and her husband, . . . — — Map (db m25889) HM
German Free School Education was a primary concern for the new German immigrants who arrived in Texas in the 1840s and 1850s. Although Texas did not have a system of free public education at that time, it did offer subsidies for students attending . . . — — Map (db m25890) HM
The first Lutheran church in Travis County. Organized Dec. 12, 1868, by Swedish pioneers under leadership of Swante Palm.
Site of first church building was 11 blocks SW; this structure was erected in 1883. It contains stone hauled in wheelbarrows . . . — — Map (db m25891) HM
This residence was constructed in 1905 for William L. Gilfillan (d.1932), one of the founders and directors of the Austin National Bank. Designed by the prominent Austin architect Charles H. Page, Jr., the two-story brick home reflects a mixture of . . . — — Map (db m25893) HM
Goodall Harrison Wooten (1869-1942) was born in Paris, Texas, the son of Confederate veteran Dr. Thomas Dudley Wooten and his wife, Henrietta Goodall Wooten. Goodall Harrison Wooten attended the University of Texas, where he earned Bachelor’s and . . . — — Map (db m25707) HM
Probably constructed in the early 1890s, this commercial building is noted for its decorative brickwork and iron railing. Built for grocer Joseph Goodman, the main floor served as his store until 1924. The upper floor was used from 1892 until about . . . — — Map (db m25700) HM
Nicknamed “Colossal Jack” because of his imposing stature and his oratorical skill, A.J. Hamilton was born in Alabama. He migrated to Texas about 1846. A lawyer, he served as acting Attorney General of Texas in 1850. His residence once . . . — — Map (db m25965) HM
Born in Florida, E.J. Davis became a lawyer and judge after moving to Texas. During the Civil War (1861-65), he commanded a regiment of Texas Unionists and rose to the rank of Brigadier General.
During the Reconstruction era, Davis led the . . . — — Map (db m25824) HM
In 1835 E.M. Pease migrated to Texas from his native Connecticut. He joined the Texian forces at the Battle of Gonzales, Oct. 2, 1835, which initiated the Texas War for Independence. In the early days of the Republic, he worked as a government clerk . . . — — Map (db m26210) HM
James Ferguson, son of a Methodist preacher, and Miriam Wallace, daughter of a wealthy farmer, were Bell County natives. They married in 1899 and later settled with their two daughters in Temple. James, running as “Farmer Jim”, won the . . . — — Map (db m25874) HM
This Victorian home, located on the 1835 Isaac Decker Grant, was built in 1894-95 by Dr. E. W. Herndon and sold in 1912 to Judge W. W. Burnett. It became the residence in 1916 of lawyer Henry Faulk (1867-1939), his wife Martha (Miner) (1878-1957), . . . — — Map (db m25702) HM
First known use of barbed wire in Texas (1857), by John Grinninger, immigrant from Europe, worker in an early Austin iron foundry. Grinninger, who lived on Waller Creek (NE of here) grew fruit, vegetables and flowers. To protect garden, he ran . . . — — Map (db m25896) HM
Built about 1863 at 807 east 11th Street; homestead of Henry Green Madison (1843-1912), policeman and farmer, his wife Louise, and their eight children. In 1886, Madison built a frame house enclosing the cabin, which remained hidden until a razing . . . — — Map (db m25672) HM
Henry (1853-1924) and Bertha (1857-1900) Ziller, both members of families who came to the Austin area from Germany, married in 1876 and purchased this property in 1881. Records indicate that a residence, built about 1877, already existed on the . . . — — Map (db m26774) HM
Henry Smith (1788-1851) immersed himself in public affairs soon after arriving in Texas in 1827. Initially a local political leader in what is now Brazoria County, he was appointed in 1835 as a delegate to the San Felipe Consultation, which met to . . . — — Map (db m26540) HM
625 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 425