Administracion de Parques Nacionales
1876 – 22 – Enero – 1976
1st Centenario del Izamiento del
pabellon nacional en El Lago
Nahuel Huapi por El Perito Doctor
Francisco Pascasio . . . — — Map (db m60367) HM
A railway zig zag is a series of reversing ramps used to avoid very steep grades. John Whitton, Engineer in Chief NSW Government Railways 1856-90, chose this as the economical method for the descent from Clarence to Lithgow. Built during 1866-69 by . . . — — Map (db m59808) HM
On February 28, 1899, the U.S. Army completed construction of the post Hospital for the garrison of Fort Morgan. At a cost of $7,500.00, the original structure consisted of a two story modern medical facility that was heated by mineral oil. Due . . . — — Map (db m116935) HM
Early Years of Statehood
In the early years of statehood, silver strikes at Leadville and Aspen brought settlers and money into Colorado. Rail lines, smelters, and refineries were built, and large coalfields were opened up.
The High . . . — — Map (db m119387) HM
Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge
Located just eleven miles northeast of downtown Denver, the Refuge is the largest contiguous open space in the Denver metropolitan area. A major environmental restoration program will be . . . — — Map (db m119390) HM
In 1942, women and men of the U.S. Army built this Arsenal that helped achieve victory in WWII and the Cold War. With thanks to our partners, the U.S. Army, Shell Oil Company and their contractors, we dedicate this flagpole to the employees of . . . — — Map (db m119380) HM
There are 58 peaks in the Colorado Rocky Mountains that are above 14,000 feet in height. While 54 are generally acknowledged to be "14ers", most people who want to climb them want to climb all 58. They are contained in six . . . — — Map (db m119395) HM
Commerce City was incorporated as Commerce Town in 1952 and became Commerce City in 1970. In 2004 the Prairie Gateway, a 917-acre parcel of land located along the western edge of the Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife . . . — — Map (db m119381) HM
Hacienda de la Chua
Organized cattle ranching at the prairie began here in the 1600s. You are standing at the site of the largest ranch in Spanish Florida, Hacienda de Ia Chua (right). Hacienda de la Chua was the main supplier of beef to St. . . . — — Map (db m126488) HM
The Alachua Sink, a named likely derived from the Potano word meaning “jug,” is the deepest of Paynes Prairie’s sinkholes and acts as a conduit for water entering the Floridan aquifer at a rate of up to 6 million gallons per day. . . . — — Map (db m126294) HM
The Boulware Springs Water Works Building is located directly adjacent to the brick reservoir for the springs, on a site of gently rolling to steep topography at the northern edge of Paynes Prairie.
Boulware Springs, free-flowing and . . . — — Map (db m70587) HM
Nathan Philemon Bryan was born in Ft. Mason, Florida, in 1872. In 1893 he earned a bachelor’s degree from Emory College, followed in 1895 by a law degree from Washington and Lee University. That year he opened a law practice in Jacksonville, . . . — — Map (db m128913) HM
has been designated a
Registered Natural Landmark
This site possesses exceptional value
as an illustration of the Nation’s natural
heritage and contributes to a better
understanding of man’s environment
. . . — — Map (db m125200) HM
It’s August 13, 1539…
Hernando de Soto and his scouting party are passing through the Indian villages of Utinamocharra located just south of here –
My army of more than 700 men follow behind. We will march quickly through this . . . — — Map (db m126581) HM
Located below is Gainesville’s only artesian spring. Tapped directly with a pipe in 1898, the springs provided the City’s only water source for many years.
In 1905, Gainesville’s plentiful water supply was used to entice the University of . . . — — Map (db m70590) HM
The Spanish explorers brought cattle and horses to Florida when they visited in the 1500s. When the Spanish left, the cattle and horses stayed. Today's cracker cattle and horses are direct descendants of those animals. They are a link to all of the . . . — — Map (db m126399) HM
This old, concrete railway trestle is a remnant of the Florida Southern Railroad. Crews laid tracks here starting in 1882. The railroad played a major role in the founding and history of Gainesville. The Gainesville Hawthorne Trail now follows this . . . — — Map (db m126478) HM
Edgar Smith Walker was born June 3, 1858, in Cooper County, Missouri. He was educated in country schools and lived on a farm until the age of 18. While attending the University of Missouri, he accepted an appointment to the U.S. Military Academy at . . . — — Map (db m128915) HM
It’s August 15, 1539…
Hernando de Soto and his scouts arrive at the Indian village of Cholupaha. It lies along the present-day Santa Fe River, which runs through here –
My Men captured several Indians and questioned them about . . . — — Map (db m126582) HM
Built in 1919 for the British Navy, this 170-foot steamer originally was christened Kilmarnock. Admiral Richard E. Byrd purchased the ship for use in his Antarctic expedition of 1928-30 and renamed her Eleanor Bolling in honor of . . . — — Map (db m73753) HM
When in 1899 organized lawlessness challenged the power of Idaho, he upheld the dignity of the state, enforced its authority and restored
law and order within its boundaries, for which he was assassinated in 1905.
“Rugged in body, . . . — — Map (db m128543) HM
This reproduction of the Liberty Bell was presented to the people of Idaho by direction of The Honorable John W. Snyder Secretary of the Treasury
As the inspirational symbol of the United States Savings Bonds Independence . . . — — Map (db m128542) HM
In 1850, at age seventeen, Jesus Urquides joined the California gold rush to Stockton and the Sierra Nevadas.
In 1860, striking out on his own, he followed the rush to Walla Walla, Lewiston, and The Dalles.
Boise Basin’s 1863 gold rush lured . . . — — Map (db m110696) HM
Legendary mule packer Jesus Urquides was a Boise pioneer and founder of a freighting business located on this site.
Born January 18, 1833 in Sonora, Mexico, Urquides migrated to the California gold fields in 1850 where he worked as a mule packer . . . — — Map (db m110694) HM
Maria Dolores (Lola) Urquides was born to Jesus and Adelaida Urquides on October 8, 1882.
She married Daniel H. Binnard in 1902, but he died suddenly in 1915 and Lola moved back to 115 Main Street to care for her aging father until his death in . . . — — Map (db m110689) HM
Placed here by Ezra Meeker on May 9, 1906
Pioneer • Preservationist • Visionary
Ezra Meeker was largely responsible for locating and preserving the Old Oregon Trail. To commemorate the centennial of this monument, a time capsule of . . . — — Map (db m128544) HM
In 1879, with the death of his friend Antonio de Ocampo, the packer Urquides inherited Ocampo’s city lot at 115 Main Street.
Here along a canal he built a home for his wife, Adelaida, their sons, Arthur and Manuel and daughter, Maria . . . — — Map (db m110693) HM
The Warm Springs Avenue neighborhood began to emerge in the 1890’s, soon after Kelly Hot Springs, for which the street was named, was tapped to provide water for Boise’s fire hydrants.
The prominent owners of the water line built their mansions on . . . — — Map (db m109839) HM
In 1946 Jack Morgan and his brother Ed purchased the logging division at New Meadows, Idaho, from Boise Payette Lumber Company.
The new company was called
J. I. Morgan, Inc.
In the years that followed, the company was . . . — — Map (db m110379) HM
The Coeur d’Alene people are the earliest inhabitants of this area.
The natural wealth of the forests, rivers, and lakes sustained their existence for countless generations on five million acres of ancestral land.
Their lifestyle was . . . — — Map (db m110383) HM
T"nt"nmi, was one of the last Coeur d'Alenes to leave permanent residence along the lake, after tribal members were assigned farm homes under the Allotment Act.
At Hnpetptqwe’n, he hosted regular gatherings and celebrations, where guests . . . — — Map (db m110411) HM
Was the Army officer who in 1859-1862 surveyed and built the Mullan Road
from Walla Walla, Washington to Fort Benton, Montana.
The road was to connect the Missouri and the Columbia, and Congress approved in 1855.
Indian troubles and lack . . . — — Map (db m110031) HM
Capt. John Mullan U.S. Army
Capt. John Mullan, US Army, Constructor and surveyor.
He was directed to mark a wagon and railroad route from Fort Benton, Montana to Walla Walla, Washington from 1853-1855.
He built the actual road . . . — — Map (db m110000) HM
Loggers used the splash dam system in the Marble Creek basin between 1915 and 1931.
In 1923, Rutledge Lumber Company spent $16,352.25 building the dam depicted in this mural.
Splash dams stored enough water to “flush” logs down small . . . — — Map (db m109997) HM
“A locomotive without wheels…”
The Willamette donkeys were fueled by wood or oil, which generated steam to turn drums that were spooled with cable.
Cables of 8,000 to 12,000 feet length were common.
Because of the long . . . — — Map (db m109998) HM
As the pioneers passed through this parched landscape they were happy to find any available water.
Most water is soaked up like a giant sponge when it reaches the lava fields, but here, small creeks to the north cover the porous lava rock with a . . . — — Map (db m109897) HM
In July of 1871 construction began on this handsome brick building, which was completed by October of the same year.
The building was built by C.S. and E.A. Kingsley as a general store.
Several businesses have occupied this building . . . — — Map (db m109935) HM
Originally George Kettler’s Blacksmith Shop with ox and horseshoeing sheds on both sides.
In more recent years it was owned by Tom and Florence Adams.
From 1948 – 1975 they published the “Idaho Mountaineer” newspaper and . . . — — Map (db m110260) HM
In September of 1863 the pioneer printers Joseph & Thomas Butler founded the newspaper called the “Boise News.”
It was later changed to the “Idaho World.”
The Idaho World boasts the title of Idaho’s oldest newspaper.
. . . — — Map (db m109942) HM
At 4:00pm on July 29, the Lowman Fire exploded, consuming five square miles of forest.
In two hours it grew into a fire storm that destroyed parts of the dispersed Lowman community.
Saving lives was the first priority of fire fighters who . . . — — Map (db m110747) HM
Imagine, the battle against this immense fire was launched from this small Ranger Station!
More than 2,300 people came from all over the country to work on the fire lines.
Many of them lived in “fire camps” scattered around the . . . — — Map (db m110749) HM
Glaciers advanced and retreated a dozen times or more
Damming Glacial Lake Missoula
Bursting with gargantuan force
Flooding areas 400 miles away
Shaping today's landscape in Idaho, Washington and Oregon
Glacial ice above . . . — — Map (db m73493) HM
Force of energy unleashed was hundreds of times the explosive energy of Mt. Saint Helens
Flood events occurred more than a dozen times before the last torrential cataclysm of 12-15,000 years ago
Glacial Lake Missoula and the Channeled . . . — — Map (db m73495) HM
Tugboat for Hope Lumber
Original Thornton School
Spring Creek ca 1909
1894 Flood Changed Landscape
Destroyed buildings along the tracks
Floodwaters at level of present highway
. . . — — Map (db m73480) HM
Idaho’s fur trade began in the fall of 1809 when David Thompson built a trading post 2.5 miles southwest of here.
Kullyspell House (Thompson spelled “Kalispell” that way) was the earliest fur trade post in the American . . . — — Map (db m112927) HM
When the last of the continental ice sheets blocked this valley, a great lake extended over 200 miles into Montana.
Ice about as high as the mountain ridges held back water as deep as 800 to 1000 feet at Missoula, ten to twenty thousand . . . — — Map (db m73490) HM
As you look down at the Pend Oreille (Pond O'Ray) River and Albeni Falls Dam (Albany) you may be looking for the falls. In 1887 a 26 year-old French Canadian farmer living in Blanchard, Idaho, also wondered where the falls . . . — — Map (db m109902) HM
On CSA invasion of Kentucky, resulting in battle of Perryville, Gen. Leonidas Polk’s wing moved thru here, Sept. 16, 1862, to attack USA troops at Munfordville.
Two of Kentucky raids by CSA Gen. John Hunt Morgan’s cavalry routed thru here, . . . — — Map (db m79208) HM
On This Site May 23, 1934 at 9:15 a.m.
The Infamous Outlaws Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow
Met Their Demise At The Hands Of These
Dedicated Law Enforcement Officials
Lest we Forget These Brave And
Vigilant Conservators of the . . . — — Map (db m128271) HM
The Aroostook War was an undeclared, bloodless “war” that occurred in 1839.
The peace treaty that ended the American Revolution in 1783 had not satisfactorily determined the boundary between New Brunswick and what is now Maine.
The . . . — — Map (db m102463) HM
You are part of Northern Maine’s Aroostook County 40-mile long scale model of the Solar System. At this scale, one mile along U.S. Route 1 equals the distance from the Earth to the Sun, known as an “astronomical unit”. The Sun is located . . . — — Map (db m58942) HM
The northern portion of present-day Route 11 from Sherman to Fort Kent was planned and constructed in many stages from 1826 to the 1850s.
This stretch of road includes two historical routes: the Aroostook Road, which ran 75 miles from Molunkus . . . — — Map (db m102464) HM
Highly effective undercover agent during WWII. Declared by Gestapo the most dangerous Allied spy. Grew up at Box Horn Farm nearby. Hunting accident forced partial amputation of leg, barring her from a career in the U.S. Foreign Service. She played a . . . — — Map (db m122150) HM
Built in 1870, across from the township hall, Greenbush School is one of Alcona County’s pioneer schools. It remained a part of the Alcona County educational system until 1947. The school began with twenty-five students, kindergarten through eighth . . . — — Map (db m121967) HM
The first issue of the Alcona County Review was published on April 27, 1877 by publisher James K. Fairchild. Nine publishers and 140 years later, the Review is the oldest continuously run business in Alcona County. Throughout all of those years, . . . — — Map (db m121971) HM
In 1883, Russell Alger formed the Detroit, Bay City and Alpena Railroad. In 1895 it was combined with the Alpena and Northern to form the Detroit and Mackinaw Rail Company. In 1900 depot sites were selected at Greenbush and Harrisville. Scheduled . . . — — Map (db m121975) HM
Shipbuilding forever changed with the transition from wooden hulls to those built of iron and steel. The first iron-hulled freighter on the Great Lakes, the Onoko, debuted in 1881. At 287 feet long, she was a giant of her day. Just five years . . . — — Map (db m122196) HM
Located on the Government Square, City Hall remains one of Alpena’s most prominent structures. In 1904 when the city council chose to construct the building of Bedford (Indiana) limestone rather than local limestone or concrete from Alpena’s . . . — — Map (db m121900) HM
At the time of the U.S. Civil War, thousands of sailing ships worked the Great Lakes. Despite their impressive numbers, these sailing vessels struggled hardly able to keep pace with the enormous demands for bulk cargos generated by America's . . . — — Map (db m122215) HM
Launched in 1891, the Grecian symbolizes an era of unprecedented industrial growth and dramatic changes in technology. Newspapers heralded the steamer and her five sister ships as “fast steel flyers.” A marvel of efficiency at . . . — — Map (db m126625) HM
In 1874, the 60-foot wooden harbor tug E.H. Miller began a 45-year career operating out of Alpena, escorting vessels on the Thunder Bay River and assisting those in distress. The tug was not without her own share of mishaps. In her first . . . — — Map (db m122200) HM
The maritime professionals who sail the ships on the Great Lakes are celebrating the 100th anniversary of their fraternal organization, the I. M. S. A. whose purpose is stated in the Association's constitution, "The purpose of this association's . . . — — Map (db m121889) HM
The screw steamer or "propeller" first appeared on the Great Lakes in the 1840s. These vessels featured wooden hulls and shallow bottoms like early sidewheelers, but their steam engines powered one or more screw propellers at the stern of the ship . . . — — Map (db m121898) HM
For centuries explorers and scientists have researched the Great Lakes. As a vital transportation link to the Midwest and one of the largest sources of fresh water on the planet. Such important resources warranted scientific, charting and survey . . . — — Map (db m122199) HM
Life on the frontier Great Lakes was dangerous when the sidewheeler Vermilion went into service in 1838. In 1842, the 151-foot steamer burned to the waterline, killing several people. A year later, with immigration booming and the economy . . . — — Map (db m122429) HM
Sailing ships first appeared on the Great Lakes when French explorer Rene Robert Cavalier, Sieur de La Salle built the Griffon in 1679. By 1870, over two thousand sailing ships plied the Great Lakes. Most of these sailing ships were . . . — — Map (db m122194) HM
In 1861 Bishop Frederic Baraga (1797-1868) trod through snow and icy waters from Sault Ste. Marie to Alpena where he founded a Catholic church. However, it was not until 1866 that Father Patrick Murray became the first resident pastor of the church . . . — — Map (db m121899) HM
Steam power first appeared on the Great Lakes in 1818. The earliest "steamers" were expensive to build and operate. Constructed of wood, the vessels had shallow bottoms and were powered by large sidewheels.
For a time, these "sidewheelers" . . . — — Map (db m121957) HM
In November of 1856, George N. Fletcher assisted a survey crew in laying the footprint for the city of Alpena. Appreciative of the area's dense forest and the Thunder Bay River's ability to help transport raw materials, finished products, and fuel, . . . — — Map (db m122228) HM
The Civil War created an insatiable demand for copper. At a time when Michigan's Upper Peninsula produced the majority of America's supply, vessels like the Pewabic played a critical role in the war effort. On a typical trip between lakes . . . — — Map (db m121896) HM
Located across the river from where you are standing is an area known historically as Alpena's Third Ward. The first dwellings there were erected in 1858 or '59 at the river's edge, while the majority of the land remained woods and swampland. The . . . — — Map (db m121894) HM
From the time of Alpena's inception it was divided by the Thunder Bay River, although most of the community was centered on the south side. A wooden scow served as a ferry, connecting Second Avenue on the south side with Dock Street on the north; it . . . — — Map (db m121890) HM
The first known fishing camp near Alpena was established on Thunder Bay Island in 1835. By the 1840s, both Thunder Bay Island and nearby Sugar Island served as a base for the area's fishing fleet, comprised entirely of sailing vessels. In 1846, . . . — — Map (db m121897) HM
From 1858 to 1926, Thunder Bay served as a major center of the Great Lakes lumber trade. Schooners and steamers shipped lumber around the Great Lakes and to eastern cities. Beginning in 1845, Thunder Bay Island also served as a "wooding," or fueling . . . — — Map (db m121895) HM
Like other "canallers," the schooner E.B. Allen squeezed through the canals and locks of the Great Lakes. Crews tried to maximize the payload, and thus profits, using every inch of cargo space.
The heavy traffic of thousands of sail and . . . — — Map (db m122198) HM
“By the Treaty of Saginaw, made at Saginaw [Saquina] September 24, 1819, by General Lewis Cass, Governor of the Northwest Territory, on the part of the United States, and the Chippewa Nations, Thunder Bay River became a part of the boundary of . . . — — Map (db m121893) HM
Shipping on the Great Lakes has always been seasonal. The poor visibility, heavy seas and ice that came each year with the gales of November prompted ship owners and captains in the 1800s to "lay up" their ships. Every winter ice choked docks and . . . — — Map (db m121892) HM
”Lest we forget – lest we forget”
To the boys who wore the grey.
Erected by the Natchez Chapter No. 304
Daughters of the Confederacy
January 19, 1950
Commemorating those who left from
Natchez and Adams County
Mustered . . . — — Map (db m127098) WM
Don Bernardo de Gálvez, Spanish Governor of Louisiana, 1776-1783, in a brilliant campaign, with the aid of regular troops, militia, volunteers, and a few Americans, captured Baton Rouge from the British on September 21, 1779. Terms included the . . . — — Map (db m76211) HM
Built ca. 1836, this structure, a National Historic Landmark, is a fine example of the Greek Revival style. A Banker’s House attached to the rear insured security & gives the structure an unusual and practical plan. — — Map (db m79346) HM
Occupied 1716-circa 1800 by successive French, British, Spanish and American garrisons during struggle for control of the Miss. River Valley. Nucleus of early settlements in the Natchez District.
Mississippi Department of Archives and . . . — — Map (db m126797) HM
Myrtle Terrace (behind you) was the home of steamboat captain Thomas P. Leathers, who commanded the steamboat Natchez in a race with the Robert E. Lee in 1870. An internationally known riverboat pilot, Leathers worked for . . . — — Map (db m127107) HM
This 1866 view of High Street shows two houses, but one is no longer standing. The surviving house in the foreground has porches with the kind of sawn wooden railing that is called “gingerbread,” because it looks like the . . . — — Map (db m127099) HM
John Smith, a partner in the contracting firm of Neibert and Gemmell, built this brick cottage in 1838. The John Smith House is named for two owners with this same common name. In this 1866 photograph, evergreen trees obscure the front of . . . — — Map (db m127078) HM
Zion Chapel African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church was built in 1858 as the Second Presbyterian Church, a mission of First Presbyterian Church. Zion Chapel acquired the building in 1866, when Hiram R. Revels served as pastor. The . . . — — Map (db m127093) HM
The Protection Steam Fire Company No. 3 built a grand firehouse in 1902 at the corner of Main and Canal streets (no longer standing). During the 1800s and early 1900s, volunteers provided fire protection in Natchez as in most American . . . — — Map (db m127086) HM
The Old Natchez Post Office was built in 1904 on the site of William Johnson's Main Street barbershop. Before his 1851 death, Johnson also owned two other barbershops in town. He used both freed and enslaved black workers who served only . . . — — Map (db m127074) HM
The dramatic looking Natchez Hotel (no longer standing) was built in 1891. Within a few years, parts of the building began to disappear in stages. The tent-like dome went first in a storm, and a 1926 fire destroyed most of the structure. . . . — — Map (db m127090) HM
Known as the Spanish Quarter in the early 1800s, this neighborhood is one of the oldest in Natchez. Each corner house dates to before the Civil War.
A Spaniard, Manuel Texada, built the house called Texada . . . — — Map (db m127092) HM
Oldest building in Natchez. Standing before 1789. Operated as a tavern, stage stop, and mail station at the end of Natchez Trace. Now owned and restored by the Pilgrimage Garden Club of Natchez.
Mississippi Department of Archives and . . . — — Map (db m127081) HM
The Spanish built Silver Street about 1790 to connect the town to the riverfront below. In the 1800s, Natchez Under-the-Hill was a major port on the Mississippi River. Natchez exported and imported agricultural goods, with cotton being . . . — — Map (db m127108) HM
Jewish Americans have been part of Mississippi’s economic, social and political life since the 1780’s. In 1843, the Jewish community of Natchez grew large enough to organize and sustain the state’s first permanent religious congregation, Temple . . . — — Map (db m79345) HM
The Mississippi Federation of Women’s Clubs was founded here on May 25, 1898. Organized by Mrs. Fannie Clark Coleman of Kosciusko, charter clubs included Clarksdale, Jackson, Verona, Sallis, Okolona, Vicksburg, and Meridian. Mrs. D.N. Hebron was . . . — — Map (db m72683) HM
This monument design is taken from the small pocket compass carried by William Clark on the expedition. Clark’s compass was made by Thomas Whitney in Philadelphia.
Fortunate Chapter of the National Lewis and Clark Trail Heritage Foundation . . . — — Map (db m128185) HM
Your observations are to be taken with great pains & accuracy, to be entered distinctly & intelligibly for others as well as yourself, to comprehend all the elements necessary —President Thomas Jefferson
On August 13, 1805 William . . . — — Map (db m128184) HM
Instruments for ascertaining, by celestial observations, the geography of the country through which you will pass, have been already provided. —President Thomas Jefferson
The data collected by Lewis and Clark is a striking indicator . . . — — Map (db m128183) HM
”…you will take careful observations of …objects distinguished by such natural marks & characters of a durable kind…”
—President Thomas Jefferson
There is a remarkable view from the crest of Clark's Lookout and it is . . . — — Map (db m128182) HM
William Clark was central to the success of the Corps of Discovery expedition not only during the two years spent crossing the continent but also because he produced maps of the west long after his return.
His three maps of the Western United . . . — — Map (db m128181) HM
An Atlantic City native, 'Rennie' graduated from Atlantic City High School and earned degrees in business administration from Atlantic Community College and North Carolina Central University, respectively.
Upon returning to Atlantic City he . . . — — Map (db m114609) HM
The city of Albany is home to six National Historic Landmarks and more than 4,000 properties listed on the New York State and National Register of Historic Places.
In 2015, Albany was designated a Preserve America Community by President . . . — — Map (db m116698) HM
The Declaration of Independence
Was first publicly read in
Albany by order of the
Committee of Safety
July 19, 1776 in front of this
City Hall, then on this site.
This memorial of the event
was placed here by the
. . . — — Map (db m116673) HM
This section of State Street is arguably the oldest continuously operating commercial avenue in the United States.
What began as a path in the woods cut by Native peoples and Dutch beaver trappers and traders became the main east-west . . . — — Map (db m116688) HM
In 1885, American Architect and Building News named "The Best Ten Buildings in the United States."
Two of those selected were the New York State Capitol and Albany City Hall, before you and to your right. The Capitol was chosen . . . — — Map (db m116699) HM
One of the
Signers of the
Declaration of Independence
was born on this site
January 15, 1716 (O.S.)
This tablet was erected
under the auspices
Sons of the Revolution
in the State of New York
Philip . . . — — Map (db m116732) HM
In the dawn of American Railroads, the Mohawk and Hudson Line (1831), running between Albany and Schenectady, was one of the first built.
Juggling funding, inventions, public relations and sheer determination, this railroad evolved from a . . . — — Map (db m116703) HM
On the North-east Corner of
Broadway then Court Street, and Hudson, then Spanish Street, stood the second City Hall, erected 1705, in which the famous Congress of 1754 “met and prepared a Union of the Several Colonies for Mutual Defense . . . — — Map (db m116676) HM
On this site once stood the first Poor House in the United States.
Community care for the poor was an important feature of Dutch society, and it took root here in Albany as the city was settled in the first half of the 1600s.
. . . — — Map (db m116696) HM
The grand building before you is home to the headquarters of The State University of New York (SUNY).
Founded in 1948, SUNY is the largest comprehensive system of public higher education in the United States. Among the system's 64 . . . — — Map (db m116667) HM
March 4, 1813
Held its first classes
in a frame building which
formerly stood upon this site
This tablet erected
June 3, 1938
during the Celebration of the
125th Anniversary of the
founding . . . — — Map (db m116745) HM
Why is Albany Here?
Mohawk and Mahican peoples inhabited this region for thousands of years when the Dutch ship the Half Moon dropped anchor near this spot in 1609.
At that time, the world was in the midst of a "Little Ice . . . — — Map (db m116700) HM
Robert Lee Doughton, for whom Doughton Park is named, was born in Alleghany County, North Carolina, November 7, 1863. An original and leading advocate of the establishment and development of the Blue Ridge Parkway, he was a member of the United . . . — — Map (db m91786) HM
For thousands of years Native Americans cultivated the fertile valleys of the Blue Ridge region including North Carolina. Employing techniques such as “slash and burn” to clear small areas of forested land and fertilize the soil, the . . . — — Map (db m123230) HM
The Yellowstone Expedition of 1876, organized to suppress the hostile Sioux, marched from Fort Abraham Lincoln May 17, 1876.
The Expedition camped at the junction of Davis Creek and the Little Missouri River, four miles south of Medora on May 29 . . . — — Map (db m111536) HM
The bustling boom town of Sumpter stretched from here westward to Powder River at the peak of the mining boom.
The mining camp was named for Fort Sumter, South Carolina, by five ex-Confederate soldiers who discovered gold near here in 1862. . . . — — Map (db m112914) HM
This monument was erected in 1887 to honor Daniel Leasure, who was an American Soldier that served in the Union Army as a Colonel and Brigade Commander during the American Civil War. Mr. Leasure attended Greersburg Academy across the street from . . . — — Map (db m120956) HM WM
By 1923, motor camping was the number one national pastime. Automobiles provided average Americans a new type of freedom and a way to escape their daily routine by touring the countryside on short weekend trips or cross-country treks. But it wasn't . . . — — Map (db m120992) HM
This log church, built in 1806, on land donated by John Schell, the founder of Schellsburg, is the oldest church structure in Bedford County. Two congregations, the German Reformed and Lutherans, shared this church until both congregations moved to . . . — — Map (db m120991) HM
In the early days of the automobile, owning a car was considered a novelty. It was also considered a major expense. People had to buy cars outright in cash. As a result it was not surprising that owners wanted to protect their investment by parking . . . — — Map (db m122137) HM
The World's Largest Pheasant spans 40 feet in length, stands 28 feet tall, and weighs 22 tons. It was dedicated on October 18, 1959. Sculptor RF Jacobs of Gooding, Idaho completed the project in 4 ½ months, costing $23,000 at that time. The . . . — — Map (db m123909) HM
While with the Bureau of Reclamation, Glenn Sloan saw the possibility of using mountain water from the Missouri River to develop irrigation in the James River Valley.
His vision and determination made possible the broadened multi-purpose . . . — — Map (db m123908) HM
Wolsey: A Crossroad of the Heartland
Wolsey has been a crossroad of the heartland of South Dakota from its beginnings. In 1880 the Dakota Central Railway, a subsidiary of the Chicago & North Western, laid track following a wagon trail called . . . — — Map (db m123906) HM
The town of Holliday was officially organized near Holliday Creek in 1890, when the city was platted. The Wichita Valley Railway was built through the area, and a post office was established. In that same year, Maggie Elizabeth Holt and H.W. Simpson . . . — — Map (db m128750) HM
First permanent courthouse for county, which was organized in 1856, but used makeshift quarters for offices and courtrooms until this building was erected 1890-91. Style is local version of the Second Renaissance Revival. White limestone for the . . . — — Map (db m111201) HM
Camp Montel C.S.A.
Site 25 mi. West on Hy. 470, 1 mi. South. Established 1862 as part of Red River-Rio Grande defense line. Named for Captain Charles DeMontel, surveyor and colonizer of Bandera, leader of county . . . — — Map (db m111200) HM
Built 1873 for E. Huffmeyer & brother, by B.F. Langford, Sr., contractor; of native stone.
Bandera's oldest building. Used over 30 years by W.J. Davenport, Sr., as general store. Damaged by fire, 1936.
Restored and remodeled by Thomas . . . — — Map (db m111521) HM
Founded 1883, named for Henry Taylor. He, Gid Thompson and other early settlers gave land and founded school. First trustees were D. Harper, H. Kennedy, H. Taylor. First one-room frame building had homemade desks and recitation benches. . . . — — Map (db m111332) HM
Erected in recognition of the distinguished service to Texas of Felipe Henrique Neri, Baron de Bastrop, 1770-1829.
Pioneer Red River empresario. Land Commissioner of Austin’s Colony, member of the Congress of Coahuila and Texas. Through his . . . — — Map (db m126756) HM
Designed by Eugene T. Heiner of Houston, this building was erected in 1891-92 by contractors Martin, Byrne & Johnston. Red brick trim decorates the tan brick walls.
A pressed metal cornice encircles the structure, and a mansard roof tops one . . . — — Map (db m126757) HM
Chosen commissary by
General Andrew Jackson, War of 1812
Edward Burleson, his son,
accompanied him as book-keeper
the Battle of New Orleans
January 8, 1815
his son, Edward, Army of Texas,
in the Grass . . . — — Map (db m111111) HM
Created February 1, 1858 Organized April 23, 1879
Named in honor of Dr. Henry W. Baylor
Indian fighter and Ranger Captain served in the Mexican War.
Seymour, the County Seat — — Map (db m128751) HM
Alfred Giles is remembered as a major architect who designed many edifices throughout Texas in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Born in 1853 in Hillingdon, Middlesex County, England, Giles spent his early days as an architect's . . . — — Map (db m118800) HM
A German immigrant, August Biesenbach (1848-1915) and his wife, Louisa (1852-1916), began construction of this house in 1880. The walls of the house are stucco over brick with a hipped roof and Gothic Revival details. From 1910 to 1955, the house . . . — — Map (db m118875) HM
The narrow strip of land known to residents in the middle 1800s as Galveston Island was actually a peninsula surrounded on three sides by a bend in the San Antonio River. It was called an island because the fourth side was almost completely closed . . . — — Map (db m128527) HM
One of the founders of the Groos National Bank, Carl W. Goos (1830-1893) came to Texas from Germany in 1848. The Groos home, designed by Alfred Giles, was built in 1880 by John H. Campmann. Porch detailing on the Victorian residence reveals . . . — — Map (db m118893) HM
Life in San Antonio in the 1700s revolved around Main and Military plazas west of the river and Mission San Antonio de Valero (the Alamo) east of the river.
Residents traveled between the plazas and mission along an unpaved street that led to a . . . — — Map (db m119155) HM
Given in 1952 by his granddaughter, Edna Steves Vaughan, and her husband, Curtis T. Vaughan. Owned, restored and maintained as a house museum by the San Antonio Conservation Society. — — Map (db m118861) HM
Former Confederate officer and Virginia state legislator Elias Edmonds married Lucy Noyes Hall in 1871, and they moved to San Antonio that year.
In 1877, they built one of the first houses in the King William neighborhood. Elias was a successful . . . — — Map (db m118798) HM
The San Antonio River and surrounding creeks have experienced devastating floods throughout the city's history. Major flooding in 1819, 1868, 1913, and 1921 caused extensive property damage and loss of life. An engineering study after the 1868 . . . — — Map (db m119035) HM
This house is one of three standing antebellum structures in the King William Historic District.
Gustav Blersch, a German immigrant, importer and retail dealer, built this two-story limestone home in 1860 with designer Gustave Freisleben and . . . — — Map (db m118909) HM
Houston Street, known from the 1700s until the middle 1800s as Paseo (passageway) or Paseo Hondo (deep passageway), was sloped to the San Antonio River. Nearby land drained to the river, and the usually dusty street became a muddy . . . — — Map (db m119149) HM
The river followed an irregular course through the town center and irrigated the lower farmlands of Mission San Antonio de Valero (the Alamo) to the south. After the mission was secularized 1793, the surrounding fields were distributed to . . . — — Map (db m118908) HM
La Villita, located on the south bank of the San Antonio River a short distance south of Mission San Antonio de Valero (the Alamo), was settled in the 1700s. Situated on the river’s high bank near the mission, villa, and presidio, the area was . . . — — Map (db m128808) HM
Throughout history it has often been desirable to allow boats to travel up streams farther than shallow water would normally allow them to go. For centuries this problem has been solved by using dams, gates, and locks.
Since 1941, dams . . . — — Map (db m119049) HM
Spanish urban planners in the New World knew how to create a vibrant community: its two interconnected building blocks were a cathedral and a plaza.
This spatial structure compelled the citizens of New Spain to revolve around a civic center, . . . — — Map (db m118154) HM
Artisans of Mexican Arts and Crafts, founded by San Antonio entrepreneur Ethel Wilson Harris in 1931, created this mural for Mayor Maury Maverick as a private work for a family home.
From 1939 to 1941, Harris also supervised the WPA Arts and . . . — — Map (db m119066) HM
Spain, which ruled Mexico for 300 years ending in 1821, paid little attention to its northeastern frontier until French settlers built outposts near the Red River in Louisiana. The Spanish responded by establishing missions in East Texas in the . . . — — Map (db m119601) HM
Spain, which ruled Mexico for 300 years ending in 1821, paid little attention to its northeastern frontier until French settlers built outposts near the Red River in Louisiana. The Spanish responded by establishing missions in East Texas in the . . . — — Map (db m119618) HM
Born in Connecticut, October fourth 1761; moved to Philadelphia in 1783, thence to Virginia in 1785 and to Missouri in 1798.
Arrived in San Antonio on December 23, 1820.
Died in Missouri June tenth, 1821.
(Panel . . . — — Map (db m119803) HM
San Antonio's population tripled to 161,000 between 1900 and 1920. Commercial and residential development boomed, and automobiles and streetcars clogged narrow thoroughfares. Local leaders recognized the need to modernize the outdated infrastructure . . . — — Map (db m119597) HM
Born in San Antonio; descendant of Frenchman who settled in Mexico before 1714. Always a civic leader, helped found first public school in San Antonio, 1812.
Went (1821) with Juan M. Veramendi to escort Austin Colony leaders to Bexar, and . . . — — Map (db m118112) HM
This site, from lower lands of Mission San Antonio de Valero, later part of the Vicente Amador Spanish Grant, was bought 1869 by merchant Russel C. Norton, who began building in 1876. House grew with additions of a second story, Victorian . . . — — Map (db m118892) HM
The river in the downtown area is kept at a constant level by floodgates located just below the Nueva Street Bridge. The gates open during heavy rains, allowing water to pass safely from the upper to the lower channel. When this occurs, other . . . — — Map (db m119028) HM
Excellent example of lavish Victorian architecture of late 1800s. Built in 1874 by German immigrant Edward Steves, founder of a family prominent in city financial and social circles.
Stuccoed limestone exterior walls are 13" thick. The . . . — — Map (db m118860) HM
Here 56 Texans gathered in home of Samuel A. Maverick, Sept. 11, 1842, to defend city in surprise attack of 1800 Mexicans under Gen. Adrian Woll. Maverick and 52 others were captured and marched to Perote in southern Mexico. On March 30, 1843, . . . — — Map (db m118096) HM
One of oldest permanently settled locales in Texas, this area was first explored by Spaniards in 1691. The Presidio (Fort) of Bexar was relocated here in 1772 and for many years, Plaza was enclosed on three sides by adobe fortifications.
During . . . — — Map (db m118117) HM
Spanish missionaries, soldiers, and families who settled San Antonio in the 1700s relied on the San Antonio River and irrigation ditches (acequias) to provide water for household and agricultural use. One of the earliest ditches, the Pajalache . . . — — Map (db m128817) HM
The isolated Spanish outpost established a short distance northwest of here in 1718 was soon relocated to a more protected area between the river and San Pedro Creek in today's center city. The mission and its religious community were placed east of . . . — — Map (db m119599) HM
Designed by prominent San Antonio architect Alfred Giles, this home was built in 1881 for Alexander Sartor, Jr. A native of Germany, Sartor came to San Antonio in the mid-nineteenth century and established a jewelry business. After he sold the . . . — — Map (db m118886) HM
Erected on this site in 1734 for prominent Bexar citizens Geronimo and Javiera Cantu de la Garza, the de la Garza family home was designed by Geronimo's brother-in-law Pedro Flores Valdez. The complex occupied an entire city block and was crafted . . . — — Map (db m118527) HM
Trained as a millwright in his native Germany, Carl H. Guenther (1826-1902) started his San Antonio operation in 1859 at the site of the present Pioneer Flour Mills. In 1868 he built another dam and mill upstream at this location. Because it was . . . — — Map (db m118542) HM
In the aftermath of the Civil War, the resolution of issues associated with education of newly freed slaves influenced the nature of Southern education well into the 20th century. The federal government established the Bureau of Refugees, . . . — — Map (db m118163) HM
Originally housed at the Alamo, the arsenal was established at this location in 1858. The facility initially included an office building, magazine, and commander’s quarters. A portion of the San Pedro Acequia (ca. 1730) carried water across the . . . — — Map (db m118552) HM
Has been designated a
Under the provisions of the
Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935
This site possesses exceptional value
in commemorating or illustrating
the history . . . — — Map (db m118123) HM
San Antonio is named for the Catholic saint, Anthony (San Antonio) of Padua. Born in Portugal in 1195, he joined the Franciscan order and became a celebrated teacher of scripture. Anthony was declared a saint in 1232, less than a year after his . . . — — Map (db m119600) HM
Many immigrants from both the United States and Europe were attracted to the Republic of Texas after it became independent from Mexico in 1836. Among the new Texans were missionaries of various faiths, including the French Catholic priest Jean . . . — — Map (db m118178) HM
U.S. Navy Submarines paid heavily for their success in World War II. A total of 374 officers and 3131 men are on board these 52 submarines still on "patrol"
We shall never forget that it was our submarines that held the lines against the enemy . . . — — Map (db m119140) HM WM
This site was the longtime home of KWEX-TV, a pioneering national and international broadcasting innovator.
Por un largo tiempo, este fue el hogar de KWEX-TV, un innovador y pionero de los medios televisivos a nivel nacional e . . . — — Map (db m128829) HM
Beautification of the San Antonio River was a long-time dream of local residents who urged city officials to improve the river through the downtown area. These efforts were just beginning when devastating floods caused widespread damage in 1913 . . . — — Map (db m119898) HM
San Antonio grew from a small Spanish colonial town to a bustling American city between 1800 and 1900. Years of fighting for independence - first from Spain and then from Mexico - left San Antonio in ruins.
Rebuilding began during the Republic . . . — — Map (db m119619) HM
The San Antonio River became a muddy, trash filled eyesore in the early 1900s. Alarmed city leaders rallied to save the beloved waterway by clearing away mud and debris, planting grass, and pumping water into the empty channel. Civic organizations, . . . — — Map (db m119598) HM
The San Antonio River begins four miles north of here, fed by springs that rise from the Edwards Aquifer deep below the Texas Hill Country. The river is also fed by tributaries along its winding, southeasterly course to join the Guadalupe River . . . — — Map (db m119617) HM
The San Antonio River begins four miles north of here, fed by springs that rise from the Edwards Aquifer deep below the Texas Hill Country. The river is also fed by tributaries along its winding, southeasterly course to join the Guadalupe River . . . — — Map (db m125627) HM
County leaders purchased land on the west bank of the San Antonio River in 1859, intending to build a new courthouse and jail. Their plans changed and the property was sold in 1866 to a miller, Jacob Laux, who dammed the river and built a . . . — — Map (db m119162) HM
Irish immigrant John Twohig built his house here on the San Antonio River in the late 1840s. A suspended footbridge connected the house with his business on the opposite side of the river.
Twohig became known as the “breadline . . . — — Map (db m119550) HM
San Antonians had few places to educate their children before 1851 when Catholic Bishop Jean Marie Odin recruited members of the Order of St. Ursula to start a school for girls on the river at the northern edge of town.
The school grew quickly, . . . — — Map (db m118168) HM
This early sawed log farm cabin (circa 1890-1900) was relocated to this site from the small hamlet of Manderfield located 5 miles north of Beaver. Manderfield was known as Indian Creek in pioneer days. The Beaver Chapter of the sons of The Utah . . . — — Map (db m127201) HM
John Deere learned the blacksmith trade here as an apprentice in the shop of Capt. Benjamin Lawrence from 1821 to 1825. The shop was located below this spot on Mill Street, in what is known as "Frog Hollow". In 1836 Deere removed to Grand Detour, . . . — — Map (db m77845) HM
The North Bennington Railroad Station was constructed in 1880, replacing an earlier wood frame station located on the same site.
For over half a century, the depot served as the gateway to the village.
Beginning in the 1930’s, with the gradual . . . — — Map (db m116755) HM
The Reverend Robert Rose
First Minister of St. Ann’s Parish in
Old Albermarle County 1747-1751
This tablet commemorates the establishment
by him of St. Mark’s Church at Maple Run 1748
To the present site, in . . . — — Map (db m122978) HM
To quote from the Rice Lake Chronotype, September 30, 1920:
”Extensive improvements are being made at the yards of the Park Falls Lbr. Co. in this city.
Monday Cyrille Mercer and a crew of carpenters began working at erecting a . . . — — Map (db m120496) HM
2240 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 2040