Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

2810 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 2610
 
Icarian Colony Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, September 23, 2014
Icarian Colony Marker
Arizona (Apache County), Alpine — The Old Bushvalley Fort
Here Stood The Old Bushvalley Fort Built 1879 For protection against Renegade Apaches — Map (db m36274) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Eagar — 8 — 26 Bar Hereford Ranch
Once owned & often visited by film legend John Wayne, the ranch with the prominent white show barn came to fame in the 1940s as the Milky Way Hereford Ranch, owned by the Mars Candy Family. — Map (db m36611) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Eagar — 9 — Amity School
This stone chimney is all that remains of a one room country school house that served pioneer Amity pop. 119 from the early 1880's until closing in April 1930. The Amity Cemetery & Amity Ditch are the only other remains of this early Mormon . . . — Map (db m36614) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Eagar — 11 — Benjamin B. Crosby Home
An early 1900s adobe home built by the son of Eagar's first Mormon Bishop. Crosby, a major sheep & cattle rancher, was a railroad contractor who in 1917 laid the track for the Santa Fe Railroad north of here. — Map (db m36626) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Eagar — 7 — Colter Ranch
Below among the large cottonwood trees are the historic hdqtrs of Fred T. Colter's Cross Bar Ranch. Originally homesteaded in 1881 by Texan Micajah Phelps, Colter built the ranch into one of the largest cattle operations in Northeastern AZ. — Map (db m36609) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Eagar — 13 — Eagar Elementary School
After the original frame school house burned in 1930, this building served Eagar's children for 53 years. Mothers prepared hot lunch across the street creating Eagar's own depression era "soup lines" at 5 cents a cup for the children. — Map (db m36628) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Eagar — 15 — Harry Colter Home
Completed in 1912 by J.P. LeSueur manager of the Eagar ACMI, this frame house with a skin of pressed metal wall sheathing is best known as home to one of the Colter Bros. important Round Valley Ranchers. — Map (db m36643) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Eagar — 14 — Joseph Udall Barn
Built in the early 1900s by one of Eagar's prominent civic, religious & business leaders, this barn was constructed with wooden pegs & retains remarkable architectural integrity. The 2-story brick farmhouse no longer stands. — Map (db m36640) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Eagar — 12 — Oscar Jepson Home
Built c.1892, this adobe structure once housed the Eagar School & later a bootlegger's still. Jepson purchased & enlarged the home in 1925 & moved his family from Alpine so his daughters could attend Round Valley High School. — Map (db m36627) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Eagar — 10 — Rencher Home
On July 24, 1900, the Peter P. Rencher family arrived from Texas in four wagons & set about building their place in Eagar. Completed in 1913, this 5 bedroom, red brick Colonial Revival home was the crown jewel of their labors. — Map (db m36618) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Eagar — 6 — Snyder-Cavanaugh Shoot Out
In 1878, this notorious outlaw gang clashed over dividing their loot. A heated gunfight occurred in the saddle of this hill and it is said that at least seven died. Here lie their last known remains. — Map (db m36607) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Eagar — 16 — William LeSueur Home1913
This handsome example of Colonial Revival architecture was home to the manager of Round Valley's ACMIs. His wife, the area's first registered nurse, boarded expectant mothers & teachers from the high school. — Map (db m36645) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Lupton — Max Ortega1905-1979
In Memory of Max Ortega 1905-1979 Life-long resident of this area, son of a pioneer Arizona family, and early tradesman who was friend and neighbor to all. — Map (db m36562) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Lupton — One Days Ride to Zuni
In November of 1776 a party of Spanish explorers and Indian guides passed through this area on their way to the Zuni Mission in what is now New Mexico. Franciscan Fathers, Francisco Atanasio Dominquez and Silvestre Velez De Escalante, had embarked . . . — Map (db m36577) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Navajo — At Navajo Springs
December 29, 1863 Arizona's Territorial officials took the oath of office during a snowstorm. Governor John N. Goodwin and other officials arriving from the east by wagon train, took their oaths of office and raised the U.S. flag "to establish a . . . — Map (db m36334) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 25 — Arizona Cooperative Mercantile Institution
Built of adobe in 1901 with a cast iron front shipped from St. Louis, the ACMI was a branch of the Mormon Cooperative Store system for 17 yrs. It later served the community as a saloon, variety store & furniture emporium. — Map (db m36652) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 22 — Baca Home
Gregorio Baca bought this house from G. Becker in 1907 for his bride, Chona Ortega. It's walls are 16" thick adobe. The wealthy Bacas & Ortegas ran large herds of cattle & sheep on vast tracts of land in Concho, St. Johns & The R.V. area. — Map (db m36383) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 21 — Baldonado Home
Part of the Spanish migration from northern New Mexico to Round Valley, Faustin Baldonado & his son Pedro bought this adobe home w/1 foot thick walls in the 1890's. Originally a cantina, Pedro added rooms when he married in 1900. — Map (db m36382) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 27 — Becker's Transcontinental Garage1910
The oldest continuously operated Ford dealership west of the Mississippi began in the west building in 1910. A pathfinding auto trip blazed the first "ocean to ocean highway" through here. — Map (db m36379) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 17 — Bertha Wahl Shooting
In 1899, 14 year old Bertha Wahl was murdered here by a shepherd. Just south of here was the original Becker Store. Beyond lie the graves of the Becker family. Due west stood Henry Springer's Mercantile. — Map (db m36647) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 4 — Brawley Boarding House
H.T. Brawley, teacher and principal of R.V.H.S. began construction on this house in approximately 1925. The unfinished shell sold to the M.J. Wiltbank Family in 1935. M.J. & son Clive completed the home. Through the years teachers, newlyweds & . . . — Map (db m36595) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 20 — El Rio Theatre
Built c.1915 & originally called the Apache Theatre, this adobe movie house once showed silent flickers with a hand-cranked projector. Renamed the El Rio in 1937, Round Valley's first theatre is still operating with its original popcorn machine. — Map (db m36381) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 1 — Escudilla Mountain
Due south rises the 3rd tallest peak in AZ, revered by conservationist, Aldo Leopold Escudilla was home to Ike Clanton of OK Corral fame & Arizona's last grizzly bear. In fall, the north slope is golden with Aspen covering the 23,000 acre fire of . . . — Map (db m36592) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 19 — James Hale Shooting
On Dec. 25, 1886, James Hale was gunned down here in front of the Brighton Saloon. His accused was never brought to trial. In 1894 this site, then called Hunter's Hall, held the first Presbyterian services in the Round Valley. — Map (db m36651) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 28 — Madonna of the Trail
This 10 foot high, 5 ton statue cast by St. Louis sculptor August Leimbach is one of 12 identical monuments to the bold spirit of the pioneers erected in 1928-29 along the National Old Trails Road from Maryland to California. — Map (db m36380) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 5 — Old Grist Mill Site1876
Just west on the river, W.R Milligan built the first grist mill & sawmill in Round Valley, later a brick kiln was added. Subsequent owners included the Udall Bros. & J.P. Rothlisberger who built the barn just ahead. — Map (db m36597) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 24 — Peter Thompson Home & Blacksmith Shop
These log structures built by Thompson, a Danish convert to Mormonism, are Round Valley's oldest surviving buildings (1879). The cabin hosted the first Mormon services in Springerville. — Map (db m36385) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 23 — Presbyterian & Catholic Churchs
Begun as missions in the late 1800s, Community Presbyterian Church here, and St. Peter's, a block east, moved into these permanent homes built respectively of brick (1918) & adobe (1928). — Map (db m36384) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 2 — Slaughter Family Cemetary
First cousin to famed "Texas John Slaughter", Peter Slaughter & his rough trailhands brought the first Texas cattle to the White Mtns. C.1881 & built his P Lazy S Ranch on the Black River. Pete is buried here with 3 sons & extended family. — Map (db m36593) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 26 — Springerville Schoolhouse1884-1983
This bronze school bell summoned children until 1950. This 2 room adobe with high pitched roof & bell tower was added onto with brick, altering the entry & roof in 1927 & again in 1950. The school served the community 99 years. — Map (db m36653) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 3 — White Mountain Historical Park
This park contains buildings restored by the White Mtn. Historical Society. They preserve early settler, Hispanic, & Native American cultures, along with farming, forestry and ranching heritage. — Map (db m36594) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 18 — White Mountain Hospital
Built during the great depression using native stone & W.P.A. labor, this twenty-bed facility finally opened in 1939 when a doctor agreed to come to Round Valley to finish, lease & run the hospital for 10 years. — Map (db m36649) HM
Arizona (Apache County), St. Johns — 194 — Pioneer Public Buildings
The old "Bowery" was the first place of worship used by the members of the Latter Day Saints Church who came to St. Johns in 1879-1880. The Assembly Hall, located on the northwest corner of the public square was erected in 1882. It was built of logs . . . — Map (db m36586) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Teec Nos Pos — Arizona(Four Corners)
The line separating the territories of New Mexico and Arizona was established as 32 degrees of longitude west of the Washington Meridian by Congressional Act of February 24, 1863, signed by President Abraham Lincoln. The Washington Meridian . . . — Map (db m36625) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Don Jose Maria AmadorSoldier - Explorer - Pioneer - Rancher
Jose Maria Amador, born 1794 at San Francisco Presidio, spent his early years in the Mexican Army, as soldier, explorer, Indian fighter, and was later administrator at Mission San Jose. Amador was paid for his service with land, a grant . . . — Map (db m69727) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Mape Memorial Park
Commander John "Jack" Clement Mape USN, was Dublin's first casualty of the Vietnam War. A 40-year old father of seven, Mape lived in Dublin and was stationed in Alameda, CA. He was assigned to Squadron VA-52 of the USS Ticonderoga in September, . . . — Map (db m69725) HM WM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Site of the Dougherty Station Hotel
Built at the crossroads in 1862 by James Witt Dougherty where it served travelers going by stagecoach from Oakland to Stockton and from San Jose to Martinez and Sacramento. This area was named Dougherty Station from 1862 until 1878, and the hotel . . . — Map (db m69726) HM
California (Alameda County), Pleasanton — Gold CreekThe Great Gold Discovery of 1871
On Feb. 8, 1871 two men, the names of Neal F. Taylor and Timothy Cox, were looking for coal in the area and found more than they were looking for. On this creek which comes down through the then Dougherty Ranch the two men found a gold nugget. They . . . — Map (db m69728) HM
Iowa (Adams County), Corning — Icarian Colony
Formed in France by Etienne Cabet, this group comprised of many talented and well-educated persons. All possessions surrendered to a common fund, all worked for common good. Landed in New Orleans in 1848 all applied for citizenship, same year. . . . — Map (db m78080) HM
Kansas (Atchison County), Atchison — 117 — Mormon GroveThe City that Disappeared
Near here, located in a grove of young hickory trees, was an important rallying point in 1855 and 1856 for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon), then emigrating to the Rocky Mountains.

The campground, really a . . . — Map (db m55363) HM

Kansas (Barton County), Great Bend — 70 — Fort Zarah
In 1825 the Federal government surveyed the Santa Fe trail, great trade route from western Missouri to Santa Fe. Treaties with Kansas and Osage Indians safeguarded the eastern end of the road but Plains Tribes continued to make raids. Fort Zarah, at . . . — Map (db m55315) HM
Missouri (Callaway County), Fulton — Fulton
This is a two sided marker Side A: Fulton was founded here in the Little Dixie Region of Missouri, 1825, to replace the poorly located Elizabeth as seat of Callaway County. Named for a grandson of Daniel Boone and War of 1812 . . . — Map (db m78757) HM
Missouri (Camden County), Lake Ozark — Bagnell Dam
This is a two sided marker Side A: The historic Osage River, impounded here by Bagnell Dam, flows east and north some 82 miles to join the Missouri. At the river's mouth, the 1804 Lewis and Clark Expedition camped several days and . . . — Map (db m78759) HM
Nebraska (Adams County), Hastings — 366 — Naval Ammunition Depot
The U.S. Naval Ammunition Depot, known locally as "the NAD," was the largest of the navy's World War II inland munitions depots, occupying almost 49,000 acres of Adams and Clay County farmland. Construction began in July 1942; loading, assembly, and . . . — Map (db m78005) HM
Nebraska (Cass County), Plattsmouth — Blake Building
This Property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Blake Building 305 Main Street 1883 ca John Blake, proprietor of a local saloon, erected this building. The . . . — Map (db m78059) HM
Nebraska (Cass County), Plattsmouth — Budweiser Building 1888
This Property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Budweiser Building 1888 Anheuser-Busch Brewing Co built for $20,000 to house a saloon and liquor business. . . . — Map (db m78051) HM
Nebraska (Cass County), Plattsmouth — Cass County Courthouse
Two markers, to the left and right of the front entrance. Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior 1985 This Property is listed in the . . . — Map (db m78049) HM
Nebraska (Cass County), Plattsmouth — 242 — Company A – First Nebraska Volunteer Infantry1861-1866
When the outbreak of war between the states became imminent in the spring of 1861, the citizens of Plattsmouth were quick to respond to the impending crisis. Without waiting for President Lincoln's call for volunteers, Dr. Robert R. Livingston . . . — Map (db m78024) HM
Nebraska (Cass County), Plattsmouth — Drew/Weckbach
This Property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Drew/Weckbach 317, 321, 325 Main Street 1881 & 1886 Joseph V. Weckbach came to Plattsmouth in 1865. After . . . — Map (db m78056) HM
Nebraska (Cass County), Plattsmouth — Excelsior Building
This Property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Excelsior Building 313 Main Street 1884 Three business owners, in succession, J.C. & R. Peterson, brothers, . . . — Map (db m78058) HM
Nebraska (Cass County), Plattsmouth — Plattsmouth Bridge 1930
This Property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Plattsmouth Bridge 1930 The bridge was built to replace the ferry service that had started in 1848. It was . . . — Map (db m78061) HM
Nebraska (Cass County), Plattsmouth — Vienna Bakery
This Property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Vienna Bakery 329 Main Street 1881 Built by William Stadelman, First occupant was a bakery run by William . . . — Map (db m78054) HM
Nebraska (Cass County), Plattsmouth — Wetenkamp Building
This Property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Wetenkamp Building 337 Main Street 1890 Many businesses occupied this site. Among them were various stores, . . . — Map (db m78053) HM
Nevada, Carson City — 243 — Corbett-Fitzsimmons Fight
On March 17, 1897, at an arena located on this site, Carson City played host to Nevada's first world championship prizefight, a fourteen-round thriller in which the reigning heavyweight titlist, James J. "Gentleman Jim" Corbett, was dethroned by . . . — Map (db m69690) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Alameda
This 18th century Spanish settlement was established on the site of an ancient Tiwa Indian Pueblo that was destroyed following the Pueblo Revolt of 1680. The pueblo was reestablished in 1702, but in 1708 the Spanish moved its Tiwa inhabitants to . . . — Map (db m45435) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Albuquerque
In 1706, New Mexico Governor Francisco Cuervo y Valdes founded the new Villa de Albuquerque (now Albuquerque), which became the principal settlement of the Rio Abajo, or lower river district. Here, the Camino Real wound its way through a series of . . . — Map (db m45231) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Albuquerque Electric Streetcar System
An electric streetcar system in Albuquerque was constructed in 1904 to replace the horse-drawn trolleys. Two streetcar companies were established, one for the downtown Albuquerque and Old Town Plaza areas (the Albuquerque Traction Company) and . . . — Map (db m45447) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Dominguez y Escalante Expedition“Jornada De Paz” — 1776 – 1976
(side one) “Jornada De Paz” Meaning "Journey of Peace" as the party made their expedition peaceful by not carrying weapons In 1692 - 12 years following the 1680 Pueblo Revolt in New Mexico, the . . . — Map (db m45444) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Doña Dolores “Lola” Chávez de Armijo(1858-1929) — New Mexico Historic Women Marker Initiative
(front) In 1912, State Librarian Lola Chávez de Armijo filed a gender discrimination law suit after the governor sought to replace her by court order, claiming that as a woman, she was unqualified to hold office under the constitution and . . . — Map (db m45333) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Founding Women of Albuquerque
(front) In February 1706 several families participated in the founding of Albuquerque but the names of only 22 are preserved in the historical record. Within those families were many women honored as being founders of La Villa San . . . — Map (db m45230) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Graciela Olivárez(1928-1987) — New Mexico Historic Women Marker Initiative
Side A: Attorney, public servant, and activist, Graciela Olivárez was a high school dropout who became the first woman graduate of Notre Dame Law School where an award is presented each year in her name. She led national anti-poverty . . . — Map (db m45225) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Harvey Girls / Mary Elizabeth Jane Colter, 1869 - 1958
[Side A:] Harvey Girls In 1883, the Fred Harvey Company hired women to serve in its diners and hotels along the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. Thousands of respectable, intelligent women were recruited from the Midwest and . . . — Map (db m45326) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Hotel Alvarado
Hotel Alvarado was constructed in 1902 and demolished in 1970 in spite of local efforts to preserve it. The hotel and depot complex, shown in this 1908 photograph looking west, was designed by Santa Fe Railroad architect Charles Whittlesey in . . . — Map (db m45446) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — In This Plaza Were EnactedA.D. 1706
By Governor and Captain General Don Francisco Cuervo Y. Valdez ceremonies incident to the founding of the Villa of Albuquerque named after the Spanish Viceroy Don Francisco Fernandez De La Cueva Enriquez Duke of Albuquerque — Map (db m45271) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — La Doctora María Dolores Gonzáles(1917-1975)
Side A: Dr. Gonzales was a pioneer in bilingual and bicultural education. She developed educational materials for students in New Mexico and Latin America and trained teachers in the curriculum. Born in Pecos, “Lola” taught . . . — Map (db m45227) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — La Jornada
On January 26, 1598, amid embraces and farewells, Governor Juan de Oñate left Santa Barbara, in present day Chihuahua, leading an expedition bound for New Mexico. Nearly 600 settlers accompanied him, along with Mexican Indian allies and Franciscan . . . — Map (db m45443) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Madonna of the Trail
(West Face): N.S.D.A.R. Memorial to the Pioneer Mothers of the Covered Wagon Days (South Face): Into the primitive west Face upflung toward the sun Bravely she came Her children . . . — Map (db m45445) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Mountain Howitzers
Cast in the foundry of Cyrus Alger & Company of Boston, Massachusetts, and originally designed to be mule-pack artillery, the Model of 1835 12-Pounder Mountain Howitzer was the smallest U.S. cannon of the period and could fire a 12-pound exploding . . . — Map (db m45274) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Old Armijo School
Constructed in 1914, this building was designed by Atanacio Montoya, a progressive educator who introduced many reforms into early 20th century rural schools. It served as the school for the Village of Armijo until 1948. This school incorporated . . . — Map (db m45221) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Old Town History
Front of Marker - English: 1706-The Villa of "Alburquerque" was founded by Don Francisco Cuervo y Valdes, Governor of the Spanish province of New Mexico. It stood on the Camino Real (Royal Road), which ran between Mexico City and . . . — Map (db m45278) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — San Felipe de Alburquerque
First marker on left: San Felipe de Alburquerque, named for King Phillip V of Spain and the Duke of Alburquerque was, founded in 1706 by Gov. Francisco Cuervo Valdez with 30 families from Bernalillo accompanied by soldiers to protect . . . — Map (db m45267) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — San Felipe De Neri
Oldest church in Albuquerque. Has continuously served the community without interruption since 1706. Originally founded and served by the Franciscan Friars, this parish church has been served successively by the Secular Clergy of Durango, Mexico . . . — Map (db m45276) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Skirmish of AlbuquerqueApril 8-9, 1862
While Confederate Brigadier General H. H. Sibley was assembling the bulk of his army at Santa Fe, Union Colonel E.R.S. Canby moved 1200 men from Fort Craig to occupy Albuquerque – "If it can be done without serious loss." Though outnumbered . . . — Map (db m45270) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — The Honorable Mary Coon Walters / Chief Justice Pamela B. MinznerWomen of the Judiciary
[Side A:] The Honorable Mary Coons Walters (1922 - 2001) Ms. Walters, who was a transport pilot during World War II, was the only woman in her UNM law school class when she graduated at age 40. She served on the state Court of . . . — Map (db m45331) HM
New Mexico (Catron County), Glenwood — Mogollon
The mountains and the town were named for Juan Ignacio Flores Mogollón, governor of New Mexico from 1712 to 1715. The name also is applied to the Pueblo Indians who abandoned the area in the early 1400s. These mountains were inhabited by Apaches . . . — Map (db m38255) HM
New Mexico (Catron County), Glenwood — The Catwalk
This steel causeway follows two pipelines which supplied water and water power to the old town of Graham where gold and silver ores were milled from nearby mines in the 1890's. The causeway clings to the sides of a sheer box canyon in Saltwater . . . — Map (db m36378) HM
New Mexico (Catron County), Reserve — Reserve
Population 600 — Elevation 5765 ft. Located in the San Francisco Valley, Reserve was named upper San Francisco Plaza by its original Hispanic settlers in 1874. The name was later changed to Reserve in recognition of the U.S. Forest Service . . . — Map (db m36258) HM
New Mexico (Catron County), Reserve — Reserve
Population 600 — Elevation 5765 ft. Located in the San Francisco Valley, Reserve was named upper San Francisco Plaza by its original Hispanic settlers in 1874. The name was later changed to Reserve in recognition of the U.S. Forest Service . . . — Map (db m36261) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Hagerman — Blackdom Townsite
West of this location stood the now abandoned community of Blackdom. The community was founded circa 1908 by Francis Marion Boyer and his wife Ella. Several dozen African American families homesteaded nearly 15,000 acres of land and built a . . . — Map (db m56143) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Hagerman — Rio Felix Bridge
Completed in 1926, the Rio Felix Bridge was one of the most important structures in New Mexico’s highway system. The bridge was placed across the river at nearly a 45-degree angle to increase stability during floods. Constructed with three 144 foot . . . — Map (db m56141) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Lake Arthur — Civilian Conservation CorpsLake Arthur Campsite
The Civilian Conservation Corps was established to provide employment for the nation's young men during the Great Depression of the 1930's. More than 50,000 were enrolled in the program in New Mexico between 1933 and 1942. CCC enrollees at the Lake . . . — Map (db m56142) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — Atlas Missile Silos
During the Cold War (1946-1989), this area became home for twelve Atlas missile silo sites — America’s first operational Intercontinental Ballistic Missile system. They protected the Strategic Air Command facilities at Walker Air Force Base . . . — Map (db m73724) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — Bottomless Lakes State Park
When 19th Century cowboys attempted to measure these lakes by tying lariats together, they found no bottom and declared the lakes “bottomless.” Today we know these sinkholes, formed by collapsed salt and gypsum deposits, are 17 to 90 . . . — Map (db m73455) HM
Oklahoma (Beaver County), Elmwood — No Man's Land
You Are Now Entering Old No Man's Land Colorado Kansas 37th Parallel Called "No Man's Land" until 1890 Known Then as Beaver County Became the Panhandle of Okla. Statehood 1907 Texas State Line 36° 30" Parallel The . . . — Map (db m93483) HM
Oklahoma (Beaver County), Turpin — EurekaConsolidated District #12 — 1908 - 1969
Eureka was established in 1908 with 18 square miles. The high school was started in 1919 when Center, Lincoln, and one half of Pleasant View were consolidated. In 1923, the Nabisco, Happy Flat, and East Banner districts were added and a new building . . . — Map (db m78816) HM
Oklahoma (Beckham County), Texola — Will Rogers HighwayU.S. 66 Chicago to Los Angeles
June 26, 1952, on this location, Route 66 was rededicated as the Will Rogers Highway. This was one of the many ceremonies that took place on the state lines of Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California as well as Oklahoma, . . . — Map (db m100328) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 167 — Andrews County
. . . — Map (db m61419) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 168 — Andrews County Discovery Well(½ mi. S, & ½ mi. W.)
C.E. Ogden No. 1, producing 200 barrels a day from San Andres lime formation was brought in, Dec. 1929, by Deep Rock Oil Co.--The Andrews County discovery well and first of 730 wells in Fuhrman-Masco oil field. Bought, Feb. 1932, by . . . — Map (db m61380) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 407 — Billionth Barrel
On May 25, 1965, from one of 7,400 producing oil wells in the county's 196 fields, came the Billionth Barrel of Andrews County crude oil. In the 35 years and 5 months since oil flowed from the county's discovery well, C.E. Ogden No. 1, in Dec. . . . — Map (db m61377) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 1257 — Dorsie M. Pinnell(June 25, 1875-July 23, 1939)
Descendant of a Virginian who fought in the American Revolution. Came to Texas at 17 for health. Served (1898-1899) in Spanish-American War, Co. K, 1st Texas Inf. Vol. Regt. Later took up ranching in Andrews County. Married Jessie Whitten; had 4 . . . — Map (db m61373) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 1350 — Early Settlersof Andrews County
One of last frontiers of Texas. Anglo settlement here lagged 60 years behind rest of state due to Indians and scarcity of water. In 1886 O.B. Holt became first man to file for county land. First settlers included the Cowden brothers and Peter . . . — Map (db m61375) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 1923 — Florey Park
Named for old town of Florey, established as a post office 7 miles to the northeast in 1909, prior to the organization of Andrews County, June 1910. In heart of the Means Oil Field, opened 1930, this park is at site of a 1934-1958 camp of . . . — Map (db m61421) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 2051 — Frankel City
In 1941 the Fullerton Oil Company of California struck oil near this site, and by 1945 more than 100 drilling rigs were in operation. The discovery brought great numbers of workers into the area, resulting in the establishment of the town of . . . — Map (db m61418) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 3311 — Means Methodist Church(First church in Andrews County)
Organized in 1907 by circuit preacher F.T . Pollard and seven charter members. The group held services in local school until 1912, when a one-room church was built, financed by donations of members, including a generous gift from rancher J.S. Means. . . . — Map (db m61379) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 166 — Original Townsite of Andrews
Founded when Andrews County was organized, in 1910, on land owned by Robert Madison Means (b. 1878). With his father, J.S. Means, "Bob" Means began homesteading here in 1899 and organized an abstract company in 1909. When Andrews battled Shafter . . . — Map (db m61374) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 4653 — Shafter Lake Townsite
First town in yet-unorganized Andrews County. Platted 1908. Named for lake charted in 1875 survey of Col. Wm. R. Shafter, whose maps and victories over powerful Indians opened the Permian Basin to settlement. Water trough built by John . . . — Map (db m61420) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 4654 — Shafter's Trail
In 1875, Col. Wm. R. Shafter and a company of soldiers traveled from Fort Concho (where San Angelo is today) to Monument Springs, N. Mex., charting the arid plains, mapping all the vital watering places. This marker is in the only town of . . . — Map (db m61376) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — Two Billionth Barrel
Andrews County produced it’s 2nd billionth barrel of crude oil August 21, 1981. Sixteen years and 96 days after its first billionth barrel came from beneath the county’s 1500 square miles. In producing two billion barrels in 52 years, Andrews . . . — Map (db m61378) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 11 — "The Claude News"
Established as the "Argus," Jan. 1, 1890, in the new railroad town of Claude. Later it merged with "Goodnight News" to become "Claude News." First publisher, W. S. Decker, sold paper to B. F. Hines, who sold to J. H. Hamner, in 1892. His daughter . . . — Map (db m100448) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 906 — Claude Cemetery(Established 1890)
Dan Cavanagh settled here in 1885 and bought this land in 1888. In 1890 he gave a grave site for railroad worker Neal DeBerry. Settler C.C. Bates was buried in 1890, and early burials from the Fort Worth & Denver Railroad right-of-way were later . . . — Map (db m100495) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 1295 — Dugout of W. M. Dye
William Miles Dye was born in Kentucky in 1864 and moved to Texas with his parents in 1870. He settled in this area in 1891, one year after the organization of Armstrong County. By hauling rock from Palo Duro Canyon, Dye helped in the construction . . . — Map (db m100511) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 1622 — First Baptist Church of Claude
Organized on May 18, 1890, by 19 charter members, with the Rev. B. E. Hure as moderator. The Rev. Count C. Storts was the first resident pastor. The congregation worshipped in the Presbyterian church building until 1899, when a frame sanctuary was . . . — Map (db m100492) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 5816 — Park Named for William A. Carroll, M.D.(April 13, 1875-April 22, 1960)
Born in Chester County, Tenn., son of Joseph Cyrus and Emily Kirk Carroll. Married Claudia Haltom, 1900. Graduated 1901 from University of Tennessee. Moved to Claude, 1914. In career of 54 years, delivered over 2500 babies. A staunch Democrat; a . . . — Map (db m100494) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Goodnight — Quanah Parker TrailTexas Plains Trail Region
The legacy of Quanah Parker and Charles Goodnight is that former enemies can become good friends Arrow Sculptor: Charles A Smith — Map (db m100446) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Goodnight — 5528 — Town of Goodnight
. . . — Map (db m100447) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Wayside — 17440 — The Battle of Red River
In the opening battle of the U.S. Army's 1874 Indian campaign against the Southern Plains Indian Tribes, a force of 744 soldiers under Col. Nerlson A. Miles fought a 5-hour running battle with the Cheyenne, Comanche and Kiowa 10 mi. E. of this . . . — Map (db m100514) HM
Texas (Bailey County), Enochs — 14145 — Enochs Cemetery
This burial ground has served the community of Enochs since the early 20th century. In 1924, Isaac C. Enochs, Jr. (d. 1958), a land speculator and sheep rancher, donated land for the settlement, including a site for a cemetery. The oldest interment . . . — Map (db m73661) HM
Texas (Bailey County), Enochs — 14460 — La Pista de Vida Agua
La Pista de Vida Agua (Trail of Living Water) crossed the Llano Estacado, linking several lakes in the region. Three lakes in Bailey County lie along the trail: Coyote Lake, where the Mackenzie Expedition camped; Monument Lake; and White Lake . . . — Map (db m73662) HM
Texas (Bailey County), Muleshoe — 276 — Bailey County
. . . — Map (db m73669) HM
Texas (Bailey County), Muleshoe — 11719 — Bailey County Cemetery
When Mariah “Aunt Rye” Long died in 1918, Emil and Anna Wellsandt offered a parcel of their land on this site for use as a public burial ground. Several others were buried in 1918, most of them victims of the influenza epidemic. The . . . — Map (db m73698) HM
Texas (Bailey County), Muleshoe — 1732 — First Irrigation Well in Bailey County
Dug by hand in 1909 on farm of Willard Burns. A pit well (large enough for workmen to enter), it measured 6 by 10 feet across and 15 feet deep. A 10-inch centrifugal pump removed 1,000 gallons of water per minute. Upon its completion, settlers from . . . — Map (db m104431) HM
Texas (Bailey County), Muleshoe — 3530 — Muleshoe National Wildlife Refuge
Founded in 1935 as a wintering area for migratory waterfowl, Muleshoe Wildlife Refuge is on the “central flyway” in a chain of refuges from Mexico to Canada. Migrating birds begin arriving in August and remain until April. The largest . . . — Map (db m73667) HM
Texas (Bailey County), Muleshoe — 3752 — Old Hurleyone-half mile west to townsite of
First town in Bailey County. Promoted in 1907 by land company of Stevens A. Coldren (d. 1924). He had a townsite surveyed and named it for Patrick J. Hurley (1883-1963), New Mexico political leader. Company built general store, hotel and livery . . . — Map (db m73697) HM
Texas (Bailey County), Muleshoe — 3531 — Old Muleshoe Ranch Cookhouse
Built in Parmer County about 1897. Bought and moved here about 1902. Dodge City couple moving to Texas found shoe thrown by mule. Used it for good luck and as branding iron on ranch to which this old cookhouse belonged. Recorded . . . — Map (db m73671) HM
Texas (Bailey County), Muleshoe — 5337 — The Founding of Bailey County
Bailey County was created August 21, 1876, and named for Peter James Bailey, a Kentucky lawyer killed at the Alamo during the Texas War for Independence. This was thinly settled cattle country; Bailey was attached for judicial purposes to . . . — Map (db m73670) HM
Texas (Bailey County), Muleshoe — 5384 — The Mule
Without ancestral pride or hope for offspring, the mule -- along with buffalo, hound and longhorn -- made Texas history. In war he carried cannon on his back. Because he was available to haul freight, forts rose on frontiers. Indians ate horses . . . — Map (db m104432)
Texas (Bailey County), Muleshoe — 5456 — XIT Ranch South Line(About 100 feet south of this marker)
One of most famous boundaries in Texas. Marked edge of XIT — ranch empire bartered away by Texas for its Capitol building. The 16th Legislature in 1879 designated a 3,000,000-acre tract to be used in payment for the Capitol. The grant . . . — Map (db m73668) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Alpine — 105 Howitzer
This 105 Howitzer served in Sept. 1943 with 132nd Field Arty. Bn., U.S. Army, in support of 142nd Inf. 36th Div., in Battle of the Rapido River, Salerno, Italy — One of the bloodiest actions in World War II. In the fighting, this cannon was . . . — Map (db m61046) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Alpine — 503 — Brewster County
Formed from Presidio County Created February 2, 1887. Organized February 14, 1887. In 1897 the territory of Buchel and Foley counties was added to Brewster. Named for Henry Percy Brewster, 1816-1884 soldier and statesman, a hero . . . — Map (db m60923) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Alpine — 1092 — Brewster County Courthouse
Court House
Building erected in 1887 when Brewster County was created. Served Buchel and Foley Counties until these areas where added to Brewster County. Courthouse Square still is community center for various events. Recorded . . . — Map (db m61016) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Alpine — 12989 — First Baptist Church of Alpine
When the railroad came through this area in 1882, the settlement of Osborne was established here near natural springs. The community's name changed to Murphysville in 1883, and at that time, as the population began to grow, missionaries arrived from . . . — Map (db m61014) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Alpine — 2093 — Gage-Van Sickle1886
Home of early ranchers, merchants, legislators. Stucco over thick adobe. Remodelled 1896, 1920, 1960. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965Map (db m60925) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Alpine — 2103 — Garcia-Valadez House
Built in 1890 by Trinidad Garcia, ranch hand. Original four rooms had adobe walls 27 to 33 inches thick. Was a social center for many years. Since 1926, home of Thomas Valadez, a leading local merchant, and family. House now has eight rooms. . . . — Map (db m61072) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Alpine — 2509 — Holland Hotel Building
This Spanish Colonial Revival hotel was built in 1912 for John R. Holland (d.1922), a successful area cattleman. Completed during the mercury mining boom days of Alpine, it served as the civic, social, and business center for the growing city. After . . . — Map (db m61069) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Alpine — 2669 — J.C. Carr-Bob Slight House
Built 1884 by an early settler, J.C. Carr. Adobe brick double walls were laid at night, slowly drying to super-strength, in time-honored southwestern manner. Five adobe rooms were added after 1903 sale to Judge R.B. Slight (1869-1953), English . . . — Map (db m61015) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Alpine — 15965 — John R. Holland(1852 – 1922)
Born in Wharton County, John Riley Holland as a young man moved to Brady (McCulloch Co.) to become a rancher. He married Mary L. Fuller in 1881; the couple had two children, Crystal and Clay. By 1884, the Hollands moved to Presidio County near . . . — Map (db m61070) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Alpine — 3603 — Nolte-Rooney House
Built 1890 by F.H. Nolte, early settler, on land in Murphyville (now Alpine). The 20-inch walls are made of adobe bricks molded at the building site. Home was sold 1893 to John Rooney, second county Sheriff. The exterior looks as it did in 1890. . . . — Map (db m60924) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Alpine — Nuestra Señora de GuadalupeOur Lady of Guadalupe
Site of the first Roman Catholic Church in Alpine. Deeded to the Diocese of San Antonio in 1896 by father and son Daniel and Thomas O. Murphy. The original adobe church building was dedicated November 19, 1902, by the Rev. A.J. Forest, Bishop of San . . . — Map (db m61090) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Alpine — 3884 — Our Lady of Peace
Parish Hall, site of the oldest church building in Alpine, originally called Our Lady of Guadalupe Church, completed in 1892 and in continuous use as a church until 1942, and as a parish hall until 1964. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - . . . — Map (db m61093) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Alpine — Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church
The present church building was dedicated on January 6, 1943, by Rev. Sidney M. Metzger, Bishop of El Paso. Construction began in 1941 under Father Francis Juaniz with members of the parish donating over $10,000. Contributions by the Catholic . . . — Map (db m61091) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Alpine — Our Pioneers
This marble slab and tablet carries our message of grateful remembrance for their interest in and courage to seek a home site in this rugged, yet beautiful range of mountains and valleys. Most of our pioneers came in the eighties and it can be said . . . — Map (db m61048) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Alpine — 4276 — Ritchey Hotel1886
Frame and adobe. Built facing old cattle loading pens on the Southern Pacific Railway. Lodgings and saloon for cowhands and ranchers in town to ship cattle from widely scattered ranches of the Big Bend country. Recorded Texas . . . — Map (db m61071) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Alpine — This Enduring Monument
This enduring monument of marble with attached bronze plaque is a symbol of honor and a tribute of praise for the valiant service rendered by the men and women from Brewster County who answered the call of duty in the Armed Forces of the nation, not . . . — Map (db m61049) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Alpine — 5679 — W. W. Townsend Home
Built in 1908 by local architect and building contractor William Daugherty for William Wallace Townsend (1833-1915), this house is a good example of a turn-of-the-century residence. Allen H. Palmer purchased the home in 1920 and lived here until his . . . — Map (db m61142) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Big Bend National Park — Stephen Tyng MatherJuly 4, 1867 - Jan. 22, 1930
He laid the foundation of the National Park Service. Defining and establishing the policies under which its areas shall be developed and conserved unimpaired for future generations. There will never come an end to the good that he has done. — Map (db m60610) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Marathon — 1862 — First School House
. . . — Map (db m60921) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Marathon — 3124 — Los Caballos(In Core of the Ouachita Structural Belt)
Highly deformed rocks in the Ouachita Fold Belt, a northeasterly trending range, uplifted about 275 to 290 million years ago. The intricate folding is shown by whitish rock bands—called caballos (the Spanish word for horses)—exposed on . . . — Map (db m60920) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Terlingua — 6478 — TerlinguaFamous Texas Ghost Town
With the Mother-Ore Cinnabar strike in 1890, Terlingua became the world's quicksilver capital, yielding 40 percent of nation's need by 1922. Its name from Terlingua (three tongues) creek nearby, was coined by Mexican herders. Comanche, Shawnees . . . — Map (db m60861) HM
Texas (Briscoe County), Quitaque — 2110 — Gasoline Cotton Gin
Cotton farmers began settling in this area in 1903. A water well was dug in 1906, attracting more farmers and increasing crop production. Because the nearest cotton gin was ten miles away in Turkey, three partners (M.E. Tomson, J.H. Clack, and L.A. . . . — Map (db m100058) HM
Texas (Briscoe County), Quitaque — Quanah Parker TrailTexas Plains Trail Region
Comanches traded with Comancheros SW in the Valley of Tears between Los Lingos and Cottonwood Creeks Arrow Sculptor: Charles A Smith — Map (db m100015) HM
Texas (Briscoe County), Quitaque — 16498 — Resthaven Cemetery
This burial ground has served Quitaque since the 1920s. Quitaque’s name may have come from Quitica Indians who came through this area on a 1683-84 expedition with Juan Mendoza and Juan Sabeata; it may mean “the land at the end of the . . . — Map (db m100016) HM
Texas (Briscoe County), Silverton — 187 — Archeological Sites at Mackenzie Reservoir and Tule Canyon
Before this area was covered by Mackenzie Reservior, evidence of human occupancy was found at 77 recorded archeological sites. The earliest artifacts date back 10,000 years to a bison kill. Prehistoric occupancy is indicated by burial sites, shallow . . . — Map (db m99858) HM
Texas (Briscoe County), Silverton — 512 — Briscoe County
Formed from Bexar Territory Created August 21, 1876 Organized March 15, 1892 Named for Andrew Briscoe 1810-1849 Defender of Texan liberty at the Battle of Concepcion, the Capture of Bexar and the Battle of San Jacinto. Chief . . . — Map (db m99865) HM
Texas (Briscoe County), Silverton — 513 — Briscoe County Jail
Built 1894 of handcut stone hauled here by horse-drawn wagons from Tule Canyon. Early day sheriff's families rented it as residence. Lower floor was used by Red Cross workers, for sewing, during World War I. This jail stands as the lasting . . . — Map (db m99868) HM
Texas (Briscoe County), Silverton — 1675 — First Baptist Church of Silverton
In the fall of 1891, six months before the official founding of the town of Silverton, a group of citizens met together to form a non-denominational community Sunday school. Early meetings were held in a mercantile store and the county courthouse. . . . — Map (db m99861) HM
Texas (Briscoe County), Silverton — 1770 — First Methodist Church of Silverton
Organized as a Sunday school in 1891, the First Methodist Church of Silverton has grown along with the community. The first pastor was the Rev. W.B. Ford, who conducted services here once a month while also serving other communities in the area. . . . — Map (db m99862) HM
Texas (Briscoe County), Silverton — 17604 — Milo Cemetery
The Milo Community began in the late 19th century on the prairie between Palo Duro and Tule Canyons. Named for the favored area crop, the settlement had a store, post office, school, and scattered family dugouts and homes in the 1890s. When John . . . — Map (db m99859) HM
Texas (Briscoe County), Silverton — 3393 — Miner Crawford(June 21, 1867 - November 17, 1928)
Born in Benton County, Ark. In 1892, when Briscoe County was organized, won election as first sheriff; also later served single terms, 1913-1914 and 1921-1922. First official act was arrest of two horse thieves from New Mexico; in last term he . . . — Map (db m99866) HM
Texas (Briscoe County), Silverton — 4051 — Pleasant Lafayette Crawford House
This Queen Anne style home, which features a wrap around porch, was built in 1904 by Civil War veteran, Pleasant Lafayette Crawford (1837-1912). After Crawford moved here from Arkansas in the late 1880's, he bought ranch land and opened a mercantile . . . — Map (db m99864) HM
Texas (Briscoe County), Silverton — 4753 — Site of Celtic Post Office(0.8 mi E)
The first two post offices in the area were established at Celtic and Luther on May 2, 1891, eleven months before formal organization of Briscoe County. Celtic was named by pioneer E.R. Thomas, who operated the post office and a store in his home . . . — Map (db m99857) HM
Texas (Briscoe County), Silverton — 5842 — William Moten Vaughan(October 15, 1841-March 15, 1928)
Born in Missouri. Served in Texas Rangers, 1860-61, and in Civil War, 1862-65. He was a Corporal in last Confederate Army surrendered east of the Mississippi. After the war, he lived in McLennan, Coryell, and Briscoe Counties. Married twice, he had . . . — Map (db m100014) HM
Texas (Carson County), Groom — 886 — City of Groom
Founded 1902 by W. S. Wilkerson, local landowner, when Rock Island Railroad built west; named for Col. B. B. Groom, 1880s agent of Francklyn Land & Cattle Co. Col. Groom was first to try power farming on Plains. Town is today hub of rich farming . . . — Map (db m100361) HM
Texas (Carson County), Groom — 1264 — Dr. Charles L. Fields(1858-1941)
Prominent pioneer dentist and farmer. As a boy, cut wood to support mother widowed in Civil War. Worked as carpenter for money to attend dental school in Chicago. Licensed 1890. Came to Canadian in 1903; Groom, 1916. Traveled at times to ranch . . . — Map (db m100360) HM
Texas (Carson County), Groom — 5101 — State National Bank
Founded in 1904 as a private bank by John Walter Knorpp (1867-1952), member of an established banking family of Missouri, New Mexico, and Texas, and Eugene Sherwood Blasdel (1878-1930), oil and grain business developer of this region. In 1905 . . . — Map (db m100358) HM
Texas (Carson County), Panhandle — 42 — 6666 Dixon Creek Ranch
Takes name from creek where noted buffalo hunter and scout Billy Dixon established first dugout home on High Plains, 1874. Ranch founded, 1882, by Francklyn Land and Cattle Co., English firm backed by Cunard Steamship Co. Fenced, 1884, with . . . — Map (db m93762) HM
Texas (Carson County), Panhandle — 228 — Atchison, Topeka, & Santa Fe Railroad Depot
The 1920s oil boom brought increased business to this railroad town, and a new depot was built here in 1928. The structure exhibits elements of the Prairie School, Mission, and Tudor styles of architecture. Prominent features include bracketed . . . — Map (db m55888) HM
Texas (Carson County), Panhandle — 736 — Carson County
Created 1876. Organized 1888. Named for Samuel Price Carson, Secretary of State, Republic of Texas. A pioneer county in oil and gas development. Panhandle, county seat, promised main lines of 3 railroads, was by-passed for Amarillo, yet . . . — Map (db m55891) HM
Texas (Carson County), Panhandle — 1046 — Conway Community Church
Residents of Conway, established 9 miles south of here in 1905, attended non-denominational services in a relocated schoolhouse until this union church building was completed in 1912. It became an important gathering place for the Conway community . . . — Map (db m55900) HM
Texas (Carson County), Panhandle — Eclipse Windmill Patented 1867
George Tyng, White Deer Lands, drilled first water well 1887 near present townsite White Deer after unsuccessful attempt in 1886 by Col. B. B. Groom, Francklyn Land & Cattle Company. Windmill indispensable factor in settlement plains of Texas. . . . — Map (db m55896) HM
Texas (Carson County), Panhandle — 1595 — Finch-Lord-Nelson and the Founding of Panhandle City
Cattle firm that had brought first Herefords to region — Lue Finch, W.H. Lord, O.H. Nelson — in 1887 promoted Panhandle City, as railroad line approached. They sent in ten cowboys to stake claims around city, which prospered as county . . . — Map (db m55897) HM
Texas (Carson County), Panhandle — 1860 — First Rotary Drilling Rig Used in Texas Panhandle(2.5 miles southeast)
In October 1923, W. T. Willis, J. E. Trigg, and H. D. Lewis, partners in one of Texas' largest drilling firms, broke ground at the S. B. Burnett 6666 Ranch with the first rotary drilling rig used in the Texas Panhandle. Success of this drilling . . . — Map (db m93760) HM
Texas (Carson County), Panhandle — 2304 — Gulf Burnett No. 2(Carson County Oil Discovery Well) — (1 mile southeast)
The Panhandle's first oil well, Gulf Burnett No. 2, was struck by the Gulf Production Company on May 2, 1921, on the 6666 Ranch of S. B. Burnett. The prediction of oil in this area by U.S. geologists in 1904 and the discovery of natural gas nearby . . . — Map (db m93761) HM
Texas (Carson County), Panhandle — 3043 — Last Great Panhandle Cattle Drive to Montana
After 1880, each spring and summer many Texas herds went up the trail to northern states, for fattening. The trail thrilled and challenged cowboys, who went hungry, thirsty and saddle sore; bridged or swam the rivers; forded quicksand streams; . . . — Map (db m55898) HM
Texas (Carson County), Panhandle — 3926 — Panhandle
In 1880s, capital of Panhandle area. Settled when slaughter of buffalo sent Indians to live on reservations. Terminus of Santa Fe Railway, 1887. Here immigrant trains brought colonists, who plowed old Indian range into wheat fields and civilization. . . . — Map (db m55889) HM
Texas (Carson County), Panhandle — 4028 — Pioneer Dugout
In the 1874-1888 era the High Plains (a sea of grass) had no native timber, stone, or adobe building materials. Homes were dugouts, or, if settlers' wagons went some 300 miles for lumber, half-dugouts. Dugouts were warm in winter, cool in summer. . . . — Map (db m55895) HM
Texas (Carson County), Panhandle — 5220 — Temple Lea Houston(August 12, 1860 - August 15, 1905)
Born in the Texas Governor's Mansion, the eighth and last child of Sam Houston (1793-1863) and his wife Margaret; educated at Baylor University, Texas A&M, and in a law office, Temple Houston came in 1881 to this region as district attorney for the . . . — Map (db m55899) HM
Texas (Carson County), Panhandle — 3929 — Terminus of the Santa Fe RailroadPanhandle, Texas
Originally “Carson City”, town name was changed 1887 when this site appeared to be the future metropolis of the Panhandle: it was to be at the junction of Santa Fe (under name “Southern Kansas”) and Fort Worth & Denver City . . . — Map (db m55863) HM
Texas (Carson County), Panhandle — 12767 — Texan Hotel
During the height of Carson County's oil boom in the 1920s, the major oil field supply houses headquartered in Panhandle, and lodging was in great demand. In 1926, Clark B. (d. 1946) and Margaret (d. 1967) Downs opened the Downs Hotel to help meet . . . — Map (db m55890) HM
Texas (Carson County), Panhandle — 4702 — Texas Panhandle Pioneers: The Simms Brothers
Permanent citizens, forgers of local civilization. Walter Franklin (1869-1963), George Leonard (born 1875) and Dormer D. Simms (born 1884) moved to Texas in 1886 and to this county in the early 1900's. They arrived later than visiting hunters, . . . — Map (db m55893) HM
Texas (Carson County), Panhandle — 5023 — The Square House
The Niedringhaus brothers of St. Louis sent lumber by ox-cart from Dodge City and built this square house on their “N Bar N” Ranch here in Carson County in the mid-1880s. In 1887 a railroad official occupied the pioneer cottage while the . . . — Map (db m55892) HM
Texas (Carson County), Panhandle — 5467 — Thomas Cree HomesiteFirst Tree
After serving as a teamster in the Civil War (1861-65), Thadium (Thomas) B. Cree worked for the Union Pacific Railroad. In 1888 he and his wife came to the High Plains. They acquired this land and, with no trees for lumber, they built a dugout home. . . . — Map (db m55938) HM
Texas (Carson County), White Deer — 1814 — First Presbyterian Church
First church building in White Deer. Dedicated July 4, 1909. Financed mainly through gifts from pioneer members' home churches; and donations by other denominations. Also used by Methodists and Baptists for 11 years, with circuit pastors for the . . . — Map (db m55862) HM
Texas (Carson County), White Deer — 2577 — Hotel at White Deer
The White Deer Land Company, a trustee for court-ordered land sales in this area, established the White Deer Demonstration Farm in the 1890s. About 1909 this frame four square structure was built to board prospective land buyers. Marvin Hughes . . . — Map (db m55861) HM
Texas (Carson County), White Deer — 2704 — Jackson General Store
This commercial structure was built at the original townsite of White Deer (0.5 mi. E). It was moved here in 1908, when the present townsite was established. It housed the general merchandise business of J. C. Jackson (d. 1966), a prominent leader . . . — Map (db m55859) HM
Texas (Carson County), White Deer — 3044 — Last Great Panhandle Cattle Drive to Montana
Each Spring and Summer after 1880, many Texas herds went up the trail to Northern states for fattening. For the cowboys, trail drives meant hard work. They had to turn stampedes, ford rivers and quicksand streams, and fight Indians and cattle . . . — Map (db m55858) HM
Texas (Carson County), White Deer — 5781 — White Deer
Name taken from nearby creek so called by an Indian legend of White Deer feeding there. Site of county's first water well, drilled at N Bar N Ranch, 1887. Also headquarters for White Deer Land Co. (formerly Francklyn Land and Cattle Co., a . . . — Map (db m55860) HM
Texas (Castro County), Dimmit — 5360 — The J. W. Carter Family and the 7-Up Ranch
The first permanent settlers in Castro County, the James W. Carter family moved to this area in 1884. A tent and dugout served as home until a house was constructed (100 yds. W). Their cattle, which they brought with them, were marked with the 7-UP . . . — Map (db m100517) HM
Texas (Castro County), Dimmitt — 758 — Castro County Courthouses
This site was set aside as the Dimmitt town square in 1891, the year Castro County was formally organized. Temporary court facilities were set up in J. N. Morrison's office while the first courthouse was built. An ornate two-story structure, it . . . — Map (db m91116) HM
Texas (Castro County), Dimmitt — 2185 — Gilbreath-Cowsert House
Tennessee native Jeff T. Gilbreath moved his family to this area in 1905. The owner of a local mercantile store, he built this house in 1909. He sold it in 1910 to county attorney Mark Cowsert, whose family lived here until 1912. The house changed . . . — Map (db m91115) HM
Texas (Castro County), Dimmitt — Quanah Parker TrailTexas Plains Trail Region
Comanches used Running Water & Frio Draws in this area as trailways for hunting & trade with Comancheros Arrow Sculptor: Charles A Smith — Map (db m99773) HM
Texas (Castro County), Dimmitt — 4689 — Shoot-out on Jones Street
At an 1891 meeting to discuss the selection of a Castro County seat, words were exchanged between Ira Aten, a retired Texas Ranger speaking on behalf of Castro City, and Andrew McClelland, a spokesman for Dimmitt. The inflammatory remarks led to a . . . — Map (db m91118) HM
Texas (Castro County), Dimmitt — 5146 — Summerfield-Dameron Corner
In 1876, English native John Summerfield (1885-1918) began his work locating and surveying millions of acres of land in present-day Randall, Deaf Smith, Castro and Swisher counties. One of the earth monuments he erected that year was . . . — Map (db m91120) HM
Texas (Castro County), Hereford — 3902 — P.O.W. Camp Chapel
This chapel is one of the few physical reminders of the days this site served as an Italian Prisoner of War Camp during World War II. The prisoners, several of them fine artisans and craftsmen, designed and built the chapel, crafting the concrete . . . — Map (db m56028) HM
Texas (Castro County), Nazareth — 2517 — Holy Family Catholic Church
The history of Holy Family Catholic Church parallels that of the town of Nazareth. The families of brothers V. A., J. A. and T. P. McCormick and other Irish families came to this area from New York in the early 1890s. The Rev. Joseph Reisdorff . . . — Map (db m91124) HM
Texas (Castro County), Nazareth — 17921 — Holy Family Cemetery
In 1902, Joseph Reisdorff, pastor and colonizer of Nazareth, devoted land donated by Wilhelmina Thier to be Holy Family Cemetery. First interment was the body of Anna Lackerman in August 1906. Reflecting Nazareth’s heritage, nine early tombstones . . . — Map (db m91125) HM
Texas (Castro County), Nazareth — 17942 — Home Mercantile
For 90 years, starting in 1905, Nazareth residents purchased goods here. The original wood-framed structure, built by Fred Heidgerken with living quarters above, opened its main floor to home shopping needs and the storing and selling of fresh meat . . . — Map (db m91122) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — N-603 — Beaver Relief Society HallUtah Historic Site
Built in 1896, the Beaver Relief Society Hall is one of only two buildings in Beaver associated with the Relief Society, the organization for women in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The building was used for general gathering . . . — Map (db m75580) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — 64 — Beaver Stake Tabernacle
On this site in 1865-66 a tabernacle was erected by the pioneers. Built of local brick, lumber and stone. It was of pioneer architecture with a large assembly hall, gallery, full basement, a tower and large bell. This building was used for church . . . — Map (db m75614) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — 570 — Beaver Territorial Courthouse
Beaver Territorial Courthouse is considered one of the finest examples of Pioneer architecture. The architect, K.A. Kletting, designed the building in the Queen Ann style with Victorian overtones. The courthouse was constructed under the direction . . . — Map (db m75581) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — Enoch E. Cowdell HouseUtah Historic Site
The Enoch E. Cowdell house, named after the original owner, was constructed around 1873 with a hall parlor type floor plan. Although the hall parlor was one of the earliest housing types in Utah, it continued to be a popular floor plan (particularly . . . — Map (db m75572) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — 67 — Fort Cameron(Located 2 miles east)
Established as the post of Beaver, May 15, 1872, by the 8th U.S. Infantry, Major John D. Wilkins, commanding. The military reservation, declared May 12, 1873, comprised two and two-thirds square miles. The name was changed July 1, 1874, to Fort . . . — Map (db m75575) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — 327 — Fort Cameron - Murdock Academy
In 1872-73 a two and two-thirds mile square, protective military reservation was established following the request of C.M. Hawley, Associate Justice, Utah Territory. Built of native rock and lumber, it received 250 troops Sept. 7, 1873, Major John . . . — Map (db m75578) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — Beaver-1 — Grimshaw HomeUtah Historic Homes
Built By: Duckworth Grimshaw, 1877 Registered By: The Harley Fotheringhams, 1/12/72 Construction Notes Original Portion Built of Black Volcanic Rock — Map (db m75574) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — Joseph Tattersall HouseUtah Historic Site
The house was built c. 1877 for Joseph Tattersall, an early settler of Beaver City. It is a one-and-a-half-story tall building constructed of black rock--a hard, dense volcanic stone that is commonly found in the nearby foothills in small . . . — Map (db m75573) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — 147 — Pioneer First Camp Ground
Near this site, Feb. 6, 1856, in zero weather, Beaver pioneers made their first camp. Prior to this, the land had been rejected as unfit for cultivation, but the amount of water available gave courage. At a mass meeting in Parowan some of the more . . . — Map (db m75615) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — Pioneer Park
Dedicated to the memory of the valiant pioneers who erected the first woolen mills in Southern Utah in 1870. It was a busy mecca, with wagons coming and going from all over the State with their goods to trade. — Map (db m75576) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — 31 — The Beaver Woolen Mills(Incorporated 1869)
On this site in 1870, in a three story building, 60 x 120 feet, the first Woolen Mills in Southern Utah operated. Machinery was brought here from New England by railroad and wagon. John Ashworth and others schooled in England in the art of wool . . . — Map (db m75577) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — N-211 — Thomas Frazer HouseUtah Historic Site
This house was constructed in three sections by Thomas Frazer, the local stonemason, as his own home. The middle section (1870) and the east section (1872) are built of black basalt. The west section (c. 1890) is constructed of pink tuf. Thomas . . . — Map (db m75570) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Cove Fort — 6 — Cove Fort
Completed April 12, 1867, by direction of Brigham Young, with L.D.S. Church funds, as a travelers way station and refuge from Indians. Ira N. Hinckley built and maintained it as a hostelry and residence until 1877. A well within the fort provided . . . — Map (db m75519) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Cove Fort — Fort WilldenA Farm and Way Station
The first settlers in this area were the family of Charles W. and Eleanor Willden. They were English converts to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who had come to Utah in 1849. Because Charles was an iron worker, Brigham Young called . . . — Map (db m75518) HM

2810 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 2610
Paid Advertisement