Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

603 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 403
 
Albany's City Hall image, Touch for more information
By Howard C. Ohlhous, January 18, 2008
Albany's City Hall
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Old Treasury Building — The Oldest Public Building in Annapolis
The Old Treasury Building was built by Patrick Creagh in 1735-36 for the Commissioners for Emitting Bills of Credit who issued the first paper money of the colony. Known in the colonial period as the Paper Currency Office, and the Loan Office, the . . . — Map (db m126271) HM
Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Pittsfield — Arrowhead — Home of Herman Melville
Arrowhead For thirteen years (1850-1863) the home of Herman Melville 1819 — 1891 Mariner and Mystic Author of Moby Dick (written in Pittsfield) and other tales of the sea. “Moby Dick is among the . . . — Map (db m32337) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Fall River — USS Massachusetts Propeller
This 38,030 pound manganese-bronze propeller was manufactured at Philadelphia Navy Yard and was removed from Battleship Massachusetts during her 1998-1999 drydocking. It is one of four. When turning at 185 revolutions per minute, they propelled the . . . — Map (db m33075) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — 200th Anniversary of Albany Charter
Tablet commemorating the Two Hundredth Anniversary of Albany As a chartered city Settled about 1624: Charter Granted by Gov. Dongan: July 22 1606: State Legislature Held Here Permanently Since 1797: Early Names Of The City: . . . — Map (db m5560) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — 200th Anniversary of the Birth of George Washington
By his faith in God and man he built our nation Erected in 1932 by the New York State Commission for the celebration of the two hundredth anniversary of the birth of George Washington Hon. Franklin D. Roosevelt, Governor Hon. . . . — Map (db m8126) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Albany - Capital of New York 200 Years
In Honor of the 200th Anniversary of the 1797           City of Albany           1997 Serving as the Capital City of the State of New York For twenty years, after the establishment of the State of new . . . — Map (db m5540) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Albany Pump Station
The original Quackenbush pumping sta. engines pumped water from Hudson River to reservoirs until Dec. 1932. In Charge of Construction: I.C. Chesbrough. Engineer; J.H. Mars, Engineer For Pump Engine Constr. 1874 Designated as an Albany . . . — Map (db m4190) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Birthplace of Modern Electricity
Here discovering magnetic induction, Joseph Henry pioneered the telegraph and electric motor, 1829 - 31 — Map (db m127919) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — First Railroad
Near Here Mohawk and Hudson First Railroad Chartered in this Country, 1826, Began its Run Albany to Schenectady. — Map (db m36635) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Fort Frederick
Fort Frederick Governor Edmund Andros Made an Inspection in Albany in 1676 and Found Fort Orange, Located Near the Foot of Madison Avenue in Poor Condition. He Ordered a New Fort Constructed at a Site in the Center of State Street Just West of Lodge . . . — Map (db m5248) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Fort Frederick
In the Middle of this Street To the East Stood Fort Frederick Goal of Burgoyne's Drive to Split the Colonies - 1777 — Map (db m5280) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Fort Frederick
Facing The River On an Eminence in This Broad Street. Opposite St Peters Church Stood, Fort Frederick. Built About 1676. Removed 1789. Gallows Hill to the South. Fort Burial Ground, to the North. — Map (db m5405) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Fort Van Nassau
Built 1614 By The Dutch Explorers. Christiaensen And Block First Trading Center Established In New York State. — Map (db m103295) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — NY-21 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Through this Place Passed Gen. Henry Knox In the Winter of 1775 - 1776 To Deliver To Gen. George Washington At Cambridge The Train of Artillery From Fort Ticonderoga Used to Force the British Army to Evacuate Boston . . . — Map (db m23717) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Glenn Curtiss Flight
From This Ground Glenn Curtiss Began The First Long Distance Airplane Flight Albany To New York May 29, 1910. — Map (db m13308) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Herman Melville
Author of "Moby Dick" Studied and Worked During Formative Years in Albany 1830 - 1838. Family Home at 3 Clinton Square 1834-1838 — Map (db m32335) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Joseph Henry — Pathfinder in Science
Joseph Henry Pathfinder in Science Born in Albany 1797 Died in Washington 1878 [Left Panel]: I arranged around one of the upper rooms in the Albany Academy a wire of more than a mile in length throvgh which I was enabled . . . — Map (db m11749) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Lincoln in Albany
"I hold myself without mock modesty, the humblest of all individuals that have ever been elevated to the Presidency....You have generously tendered me the united support of the great Empire State." - Abraham Lincoln speaking to the New York . . . — Map (db m5191) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Lincoln Mourned
"The face had an expression of absolute content, of relief, at throwing off a burden such as few men have been called upon to bear --- a burden which few men could have borne." - Recollections of New York Secretary of State Chauncey M. Depew. . . . — Map (db m5192) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — New York State Office Building
New York State Office Building Cornerstone Laid By Gov. Alfred E. Smith, 1928. — Map (db m8024) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Phase 1 New York City 1993-1997
When the USS Slater returned from Greece to dock at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York City on August 27, 1993, the state of the ship was appalling. The first goal was to survey the condition of the ship and develop a plan of action. . . . — Map (db m49646) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Phase 2 Albany 1997 - 2001
In 1997, the management at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum made the decision to downsize and the SLATER was asked to find a new home. The ship was towed to Albany and arrived on October 27, 1997 to a crowd of well wishers. Here, a new group of . . . — Map (db m49645) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Phase 3 Albany 2002 - Present
The whole painstaking process of restoring the ship, acquiring the parts and installing the refurbished gear, has been driven by volunteers and would have never been possible without these dedicated individuals. The SLATER's wooden whale boat has . . . — Map (db m49644) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Schuyler Mansion
1½ Miles SCHUYLER MANSION Home of General Philip Schuyler. Residence of Alexander Hamilton in 1781 and 1795. — Map (db m58880) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Schuyler Mansion
The Schuyler Mansion 1762 Acquired By The State Of New York 1911 Restored and Dedicated As An Historic Monument October 17, 1917 Governor Charles S. Whitman Trustees Mary Margaretta Manning President James F. Tracey . . . — Map (db m58881) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Schuyler Mansion
The Schuyler Mansion Erected 1762 The Home of Major General Philip Schuyler of the American Revolution Patriot * Soldier * Statesman * 1733 1804* Acquired by the State of New York 1911 Restored and Dedicated October . . . — Map (db m58882) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Schuyler Mansion — State Historic Site
Major General Philip Schuyler commanded the Northern Department of the Continental Army until August 1777. After the Battles of Saratoga, British General Burgoyne stayed here as a prisoner-guest. Revolutionary Heritage Trail — Map (db m58883) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Site of Martin Van Buren Residence
Martin Van Buren 1782 - 1862 resided at 92 State Street on this site while serving as 9th Governor of the State of New York 1828 - 1829 He is famed for his distinguished career as boy-lawyer, surrogate, judge, state senator, Attorney . . . — Map (db m5439) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Site of New York Central Railroad Erector Shop
Site Of The New York Central Railroad erector shop where Engine 999 was built in 1893. '999' was the first creation of man in the history of time to Travel 100 Miles per Hour — Map (db m32251) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — The Battle of Henry Johnson
[Top Panel] The Battle of Henry Johnson First American Awarded Croix De Guerre with Gold Palm For Valor [Center Panel] In Memory of Sergeant Henry Lincoln Johnson Albany, New York for uncommon valor in combat . . . — Map (db m42675) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — The Erie Canal / Albany Basin
The Erie Canal. This site marks the east end of the canal, opened in 1825. It carried products and people between the Hudson River and Lake Erie Albany Basin. For nearly 100 years boats entered the Erie Canal at nearby Lock 1, . . . — Map (db m5174) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Altamont
Incorporated as a village 1890. Officers; President Hiram Griggs; Trustees Smith Philley, Jesse Crounse. Henry A. Wilbur — Map (db m49530) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 2 — Altamont Free Library — Altamont, New York — The Museum In The Streets
The Village's First Freight and passenger train station was built in 1864, only months after the first train passed through Knowersville. In 1896 the old station was moved south along the tracks. In 1897, it was replaced by the newest, . . . — Map (db m115732) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Altamont High School
New York Site Of Altamont High School 1901 - 1954 Altamont High Alumni Association September 1995 — Map (db m66983) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Family Cemetery
Family Cemetery Of Early Pioneer Jurrian Severson Grave of John J. Vanaernam Ensign, Revolutionary War Born 1730 - Died 1814 — Map (db m44022) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Inn of George Severson
Old Schoharie Road Built at close of Revolution First Post Office of West Guilderland as this place was then called — Map (db m49847) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — John Groot
Farm and Burial Place John Groot Officer 3d Regiment Albany County Militia War of Revolution — Map (db m43885) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Old Plank Road
Schoharie to Albany Followed this Route Chartered 1849 Abandoned 1867 — Map (db m44861) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Severson House
Built by Early Settler Jurrian Severson Located on Map of West Manor Rensselaerswyck, 1767 — Map (db m44897) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Ax Factory
Established by Daniel Simmons in 1825. Said to be the first factory in the United States to make axes from cast steel — Map (db m62839) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Cheese Factory
First in Town of Berne Built in 1878 and Made 495 Pounds in a Single Day — Map (db m57477) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Earliest House
Built About 1750 By Peter Weidman, A Swiss, Stood On This Site — Map (db m101715) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — East Berne
Formerly Called Werner's Mills And Philadelphia — Map (db m50538) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Johannes Dietz
Near this spot in September 1781 Johannes Dietz and seven members of his family were massacred by Tories and Indians. — Map (db m30756) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Mill Site
For Carding and Fulling Mill Built at an Early Date by Malachi Whipple William H. Ball And Lyman Dwight — Map (db m57478) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Pioneer
Col. Jesse Wood of Long Island Settled Here About 1800. Served in War of 1812. Died July 23, 1853 At Age Of 83 Years — Map (db m101719) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Reformed Dutch Church
Organized 1763. First Pastor Johannes Schuyler 1767. Oldest Church in County outside of Albany — Map (db m50191) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Schools
In 1812 there were 21 school districts in Town of Berne and 30 the next year. In 1816 there were 1710 pupils in school — Map (db m62840) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Weidman Home
The Largest House in Berne With Ten Fireplaces Built By Peter Weidman In 1800, Stood On This Site — Map (db m101717) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — West Berne
West Berne Called Mechanicsville 1830-34 Because So Many Mechanics Lived Here — Map (db m73433) HM
New York (Albany County), Clarksville — Site of the Battle of Clarksville
On Dec.3, 1839, during the Anti-Rent Wars, Sheriff Artcher and his posse marched from Albany to Clarksville. They met their first resistance here. — Map (db m50488) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — A Park Named Craner * Cohoes Recalls a Hero — Cohoes Remembers Vets Craner Park Cohoes, NY Saturday, May 20, 2006
Robert Craner was born in 1933 to Grace and Alfred Craner and grew up at 27 Church Street in the "Orchard" section of Cohoes. He graduated from the local Catholic Central High School in 1950 and enlisted in the Air Force at the age of 19. Craner . . . — Map (db m40821) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Camp Van Schaick
Continental Army, Northern Department under command General Philip Schuyler General Horatio Gates Aug. 15 - Sept. 8, 1777 — Map (db m7665) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Camp Van Schaick
Encampment of the Northern Department Continental Army August 9-September 8-1777 from this place August 9-1777 Gen. Ebenezer Learned with his Massachusetts Brigade marched to relieve Fort Stanwix — Map (db m7666) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Cohoes City Hall
Designed by Architect J.C. Holland and constructed in 1895, this Romanesque Revival building is the center of Cohoes Government. The limestone structure was the first building in the city constructed with public funds. — Map (db m40988) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Cohoes Mastodon
Site of Cohoes Mastodon Found September 1866 Now in N. Y. State Museum — Map (db m40818) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Egberts & Bailey Mill
First building erected for the manufacture of knit goods by power in America, 1836. First power knitting machinery applied in Cohoes, 1832 — Map (db m11392) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — First Power Mill for the Manufacture of Knit Fabrics
First Power Mill - for the - Manufacture of Knit Fabrics ———————— Erected in 1843, By Egberts & Bailey Inventors of the Power Knitting Machine in 1832. ·      ·      . . . — Map (db m11350) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — George Stacy Davis — Cohoesier in Baseball's Hall of Fame
George Stacey Davis was a shortstop and manager in Major League Baseball at the turn of the 20th century. He also spent several seasons as a third baseman and center fielder, and lesser amounts of time at other positions. Over his playing career, . . . — Map (db m120681) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Horace B. Silliman — His Life and Legacy
Horace Brinsmade Silliman was born in 1825. He was educated in Albany Academy, graduated from Union College in 1846 ( a member of Phi Beta Kappa) and later received honorary degrees from Union and Hamilton Colleges. Silliman first became a . . . — Map (db m41361) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Juncta
Junction of the Original Erie and Champlain Canals First Settlement and Name of Cohoes. Site of the First Post Office. — Map (db m6161) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Misty 17
"Misty" was the call sign used by the F-110F Fast Forward Air Controllers (Fast Fac's) during the Vietnam War. There were 155 pilots officially assigned to fly missions over North Vietnam from June 15, 1967 to May 19, 1970. 21 other attached pilots . . . — Map (db m40826) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Sightseeing / Cataract House, Cohoes Falls, N.Y.
Sightseeing Dutch visitors left the first written accounts of the Great Falls of the Mohawk River at Cohoes during the 1640s. Generations of sightseers, poets, and artists followed to look at the falls, hear their roar, and feel the spray. . . . — Map (db m11612) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — The Cohoes Mastodont
The Cohoes Mastodont was discovered during the excavation for Harmony Mill #3 in 1866. The mill is sometimes referred to as the "Mastodon Mill" for this reason. When all the bones were recovered, they were kept at the Harmony Mills Office on . . . — Map (db m41622) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — The Erie Canal — Power Canal Park | Cohoes NY
The Erie Canal flowed through Cohoes along two distinct paths during the 19th century. The first phase, 1825-1841, is commonly referred to as "Clinton's Ditch" after New York Governor DeWitt Clinton, who was the foremost advocate for construction of . . . — Map (db m42224) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — The Matton Shipyard
The Matton Shipyard John E. Matton built his shipyard here on Van Schaick Island in 1916, shortly after the new Barge Canal opened. Besides building barges and tugboats, the shipyard serviced and repaired the boats that travelled both the Erie . . . — Map (db m48282) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Van Schaick Burial Plot
First Settlers of Cohoes And Owners of Half Moon Patent Buried Here — Map (db m7249) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Van Schaick Mansion
1735 - 1927 Van Schaick Mansion Home Of John G. Van Schaick and his Wife Anna Patriot Americans Built by Anthony Van Schaick Son of Goosen Gerritsen original patentee Headquarters August 18-September 8-1777 Northern . . . — Map (db m7250) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — Boght Church
Site of the Reformed Dutch Church of the Boght 1st Church North of Albany Organized by the Classis Of Albany, Feb. 22, 1784 — Map (db m24730) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — Dalessondro Boulevard
In December of 1944, near Kalterherberg, Germany Technical Sergeant Peter J. Dalessondro of the 9th Infantry Division, at great personal risk, intrepidly fought against overwhelming enemy attack to save his company from defeat. His singlehanded . . . — Map (db m21881) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — NY-19 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Through this Place Passed Gen. Henry Knox In the Winter of 1775 - 1776 To Deliver To Gen. George Washington At Cambridge The Train of Artillery From Fort Ticonderoga Used to Force the British Army to Evacuate Boston . . . — Map (db m23749) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — Loudoun Ferry Road
1755 Constructed as Military Road from Albany to Lake George by Provincial Troops from New York, New England and New Jersey under command of Major General William Johnson ——— Named in honor of Major General . . . — Map (db m24514) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — Maplewood Historic Park
Site of Erie Canal lock & former Weighlock Bldg.1850-1915 located near "The Juncta" of old Erie and Champlain Canals — Map (db m40996) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — Shaker Cemetery
First burials occurred on this historic site in 1787- Mother Ann Lee and early leaders reburied here later — Map (db m41150) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — Shaker Church Family Barn
Built in 1916 on the site of the original barn which had been destroyed by fire — Map (db m40593) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — The Boght
The Boght Settled On and After 1704 By The Vischer Weaver Witbeck Lansing Powell Runkle Dunsbach Lieverse Staats Roff Godfrey Van O Linde Groesbeck Van Vranken Fero Van De Mark Van Denburgh Johnson Pollock Storms Fonda and . . . — Map (db m24731) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — The Erie Canal
For nearly a century, canal boats were pulled by mules and horse over this portion of New York State's famed Erie Canal. One of the slowest and most crowded parts of the waterway started to the north of the Flatts at Maplewood. Here Began the . . . — Map (db m14742) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — The Weighlock Building — 1850-1915
This Greek-revival building was one of several weigh stations along the Canal used to levy the tolls for barges carrying merchandise and farm goods. Until 1850 freight cargoes were measured by the displacement theory, but this hydraulic type . . . — Map (db m40999) HM
New York (Albany County), Delmar — Delmar
Earlier Adamsville And Adams Station Nathaniel Adams Located Here In 1836 and Built A Hotel in 1838 — Map (db m97281) HM
New York (Albany County), Delmar — Union Dutch Reformed Church
Founded and Erected 1825. "For The Glory of God" Quoted from 1824 Land Deed. Horse Sheds Built 1840 Fellowship Hall Added 1906 — Map (db m97276) HM
New York (Albany County), East Berne — Anti-Rent Riots
More Leased Land in Berne than any other Town in Albany County Led to Serious Outbreaks After 1840 — Map (db m50489) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Battle of Normanskill
Fought north of the creek Schenectady Militia with 40 Rhode Island troops dispersed large group of Tories on August 11, 1777 — Map (db m49379) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Captain Jacob Van Aernam
Captain Jacob Van Aernam 1732 - 1813 Revolutionary hero buried here Courageous always he fought for his beloved Country's independence — Map (db m44031) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Dr F. Crounse
Built this house, 1833 First physician at West Guilderland (Altamont) Practiced here sixty years — Map (db m49844) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Farm of Evert Bancker
Third Mayor of Albany, 1695 Indian Commissioner, 1696 Master Chancery, 1705 Died Here, 1734 — Map (db m50126) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — First Lutheran Church
On this spot stood the First Lutheran Church in Town of Guilderland 1787. Rev. Heinrich Moeller first regular pastor — Map (db m48961) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — First Meeting
of Town of Guilderland held April 5, 1803 in this house at that time a tavern conducted by Hendrick Apple — Map (db m49845) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Frederick Crounse
Farm of Frederick Crounse Officer 3D Albany Co. Militia in Revolution. Carried food to Army Battle of Saratoga. Buried Here — Map (db m48377) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — French's Hollow
Site of a Sawmill; Clothe Wks of Peter K. Broeck 1795; Factory of Abel French and Tavern of Jacob Aker 1800 — Map (db m65413) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — George Wagner
Home of George Wagner Lieutenant in the American Revolution — Map (db m63346) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Glass Works
Begun 1785 by Leonard De Neuville. Known as Albany Glass House, later Hamilton Glass Wks. Made bottles & window glass. Closed 1815 — Map (db m50620) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Guilderland Town Hall
Town Hall Town of Guilderland Est. April 4, 1803 First Officers; Supervisor Nicholas V. Mynderse, Clerk Peter G. Veeder Town of Guilderland 1985Map (db m103165) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Hamilton Glass House
. . . — Map (db m45518) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Henry Rowe Schoolcraft
Home Of Henry Rowe Schoolcraft B.1793 - D. 1864 Glass Maker, Explorer, Author, Poet, Authority On American Indians. — Map (db m77593) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Inn of Jacob Crounse
Built 1833. Midway tavern where horses were changed on Schoharie-Albany Stage Coach Route — Map (db m49512) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Jacob Van Aernam
Jacob Van Aernam 1723 - 1813 Capt. 3rd Albany Regiment Leader of Patriot forces in the Helderberg region during American Revolution Lived on farm here — Map (db m44020) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Knower House
Est. as hat factory about 1800 by Benjamin Knower Gov. William L. Marcy Married Cornelia Knower in this house — Map (db m49446) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Locust Vale School
Locust Vale School New Scotland School District No. 11. Built about 1827 and closed 1939. Moved to Meadowdale from Tygert Road During the 1940's. — Map (db m48608) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Palatine Road
c. 1712 First Road West By German Refugees To Schoharie Valley — Map (db m49555) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Schoolcraft House
Built Circa 1840 By John L. Schoolcraft U.S. Congressman 1848-1852 Albany Banker and Whig Leader Delegate to the 1860 National Convention — Map (db m65410) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Wildehausen
Site of an Indian Village Nearby Stream Called Wildehausekill or "Indian House Creek" — Map (db m66751) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland Center — Freeman House
Said to have been erected 1734 later the home of Barent Mynderse, Lieut. in War of Revolution — Map (db m49721) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland Center — House Built 1802
By Nicholas V. Mynderse sold to Michael Frederick who ran it as a tavern for many years — Map (db m49720) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — Dutch Barn
Built Circa 1800 For Palatine German Settler Jacob Sholtes 1761-1852 By Grandson Jacob 1817-1891 — Map (db m62841) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — Knieskem Farm
Settled by Hendrick Knieskem about 1750 — Map (db m54208) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — Knox School #5
Knox School District #5 was formed in 1822. This school was built in 1898, restored by Kiwanis, & placed on the National Register in 2005. — Map (db m52395) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — Knoxville Academy
Incorporated 1837 Chartered Regents 1842-1869 Faced Military Training Ground 1776 — Map (db m58862) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — 227 — Palatine Trail
Road Used for Travel West to Schoharie Valley As Early as 1767, The Town of Knox Began To Grow Around This Path. — Map (db m88107) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — Pillbox Factory
In 1806 Nathan Crary Established the Pillbox Industry in Knox. His Factory was Behind This Farmhouse, Where He Lived. Knox Historical SocietyMap (db m73576) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — Sand Farm
Sand Farm Settled by Christian Zandt in 1787 — Map (db m57937) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — 226 — Toll Gate #3
Old Albany and Schoharie Plank Road Passed Here Between 1849 and 1866. Wagons on Wood Planks Said To Make a Thunderous Noise — Map (db m91049) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — Town of Knox
Established Feb. 22, 1822 Formed from Town of Berne Pillbox capital 1806-1906 First Town Supervisor was Malachi Whipple — Map (db m49450) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — Whipple Farm
Settled by Malachi Whipple of Conn. about 1793. In 1820 farm won premium as model farm in Albany County — Map (db m49447) HM
New York (Albany County), Latham — NY-20 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Through this place passed Gen. Henry Knox in the Winter of 1775 - 1776 to deliver to Gen. George Washington at Cambridge the train of artillery from Fort Ticonderoga used to force the British Army to evacuate Boston . . . — Map (db m23447) HM
New York (Albany County), Latham — Latham
. . . — Map (db m75495) HM
New York (Albany County), New Scotland — Bender Melons
Home of Bender Melons Famed "Benders" developed by Charles Bender in 1900 on this New Scotland Farm sold throughout U.S. — Map (db m48606) HM
New York (Albany County), New Scotland — David Allen House
Land leased From Patroon c.1779. Original House Is Stone. Wood Sections Added Later. Occupied by The Allen Family over 100 Years. — Map (db m97288) HM
New York (Albany County), New Scotland — 280 — Lime Kiln Farm
Named for Stone Kilns used to make lime. First farmed 1842. Miller Family farmed here over 100 years beginning in 1905. — Map (db m97287) HM
New York (Albany County), Slingerlands — Andrew Conning
Nearby is Burial Site of Andrew Conning, 3rd Regt. Albany County Militia Under Capt. Vanderheyden The American Revolution Placed by Tawasetha Chapter NSDARMap (db m44963) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — First P.O. 1868
Site of First P.O. 1868 Established in Reid's General Store, Farm of James Reid Town's First Supervisor — Map (db m48607) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — Helderbergs
The name means clear mountains. They have been called "the key to the geology of North America" — Map (db m54688) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — Indian Ladder
In Colonial Times An Indian Trail Ascended The Helderberg Cliffs At This Point From The Lowlands To The East State Ed Dept 1932 Friends of Thacher Park 2014Map (db m77125) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — Methodism
Methodism Here built its first church in this entire area. Known as Bethlehem, North or Black Creek Church, 1823 — Map (db m48671) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — Thacher Point
At this site, on September 14, 1914, this park was formally dedicated in memory of John Boyd Thacher. His widow, Emma Treadwell Thacher, donated the 350 acres to the state of New York to be preserved as a public park. The Thachers, whose summer home . . . — Map (db m77243) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — The Indian Ladder Trail
The Indian Ladder Trail runs along the base of the cliff and was historically called the "Lower Bear Path." Here, you are halfway down the limestone cliff, where the Coeymans formation above meets the Manlius below. At the top of the Manlius is a . . . — Map (db m43845) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — The Tory Cave
Caves are formed when limestone is dissolved by flowing water. In the ceiling at the back of the cave you can see a large, natural chimney where water has seeped into the rock from above. As limestone dissolves, calcite is deposited to from . . . — Map (db m12728) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — Tory Cave 1777
Jacob Salsbury, a spy during Burgoyne Invasion, found refuge from settlers in a cave against the cliffs nearby. — Map (db m58550) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — City of Watervliet
The land now occupied by the City of Watervliet is part of a tract purchased by the first Patroon, Kiliaen van Rensselaer in 1630 from the Mohican or River Indians. The tract was within a large area on the west side of the Hudson River named Wely's . . . — Map (db m58228) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — Civil War Parrott Rifle
10 Pounder Rifle From Watervliet Arsenal Designed By Robert P. Parrott and Cast at The West Point Foundry. Used by the Union Forces These Guns were Mounted on Carriages Made at Watervliet Arsenal Where Ammunition was also Made. This . . . — Map (db m7299) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — Erie Canal
Completed 1825 Terminus at Hudson River. Locks called Sidecut allowed entry to navigable waters — Map (db m12214) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — Mayor James F. Cavanaugh — 1910 - 1973
Served the City of Watervliet from 1967 to 1973. Throughout his years of service he accomplished a great deal for Watervliet, including renovations at City Hall and police headquarters, construction of a new firehouse, the opening of the northern . . . — Map (db m47983) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — Meneely Foundry
Meneely Foundry 1826 - 1950 First Chime & Carillon in U.S. Cast Here Foremost Bell Maker Patented Rotary Yoke And Casting Procedures. — Map (db m40322) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — Peter J. Dalessandro — Congressional Medal of Honor
Peter J. Dalessandro Congressional Medal of Honor Technical Sergeant, US Army, Company E. 39th Infantry, 9th Infantry Division Sergeant DAlessandro was born May 19, 1918. Entered service at: Watervliet, N.Y. Presented the Congressional . . . — Map (db m46446) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — Saint Patrick's Church Bell
The most obvious music associated with any church is the sweet and dignified tolling of the church bell. Pictured above is George E. Hipwod, President of the Holy Names Society who presented the bell for placement in the new church. The bell was . . . — Map (db m70628) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — The Nalle Rescue
The Nalle Rescue April 27, 1860 Near this site on Broadway, Charles Nalle, a fugitive slave from Culpepper, Virginia, was rescued from slave catchers by Harriet Tubman and citizens of Troy and West Troy (Watervliet), completing an . . . — Map (db m42015) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — U.S. Army 3 Inch M5 Antitank Gun
The 3 inch antitank gun was deployed during WWII. Hundreds of these guns were used by American troops in Europe and the Pacific during the war. Range: 16,100 yards max. 1,000 yards antitank range. The U.S. 1st Army and 3rd Army in Europe had . . . — Map (db m49148) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — Watervliet Arsenal
Oldest, Continuously Active Manufacturing Arsenal in U.S. Founded in 1813. — Map (db m49297) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Anti-Rent War
Events in the quarrel of tenants with Lord of the Van Rensselaer Manor occurred in this region in 1840 and later — Map (db m50490) HM
New York (Broome County), Port Crane — Chenango Canal — 1837-1878
Here the towpath followed river and base of the hill (Sign reset in 2006) In Memory Of Leon DeanjouMap (db m23064) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — NY-26 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Through this Place Passed Gen. Henry Knox In the Winter of 1775 - 1776 To Deliver To Gen. George Washington At Cambridge The Train of Artillery From Fort Ticonderoga Used to Force the British Army to Evacuate Boston . . . — Map (db m23750) HM
New York (Cortland County), Cortland — Port Watson
Port Watson Founded by Elkanah Watson About 1805. Mills, Brewery Rope Walk. Sent Arks, Rafts Cargoes to Penna. Absorbed By Cortland in 1867 — Map (db m25425) HM
New York (Cortland County), Marathon — Peck Library
Library and 600 Seat Opera House Constructed May 1894 To May 1895. Willed to the People of Martathon by Mrs. Mercena Brink Peck A.D. 1891 — Map (db m28799) HM
New York (Delaware County), Delhi — Fitch's Covered Bridge
Placed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places in 1999 Rehabilitated in 2001 by Delaware County Department of Public Works. Donated By Greater Delhi Area Chamber Of CommerceMap (db m101315) HM
New York (Delaware County), Stamford — Mount Utsayantha
Property on top of this mountain was donated to the Village of Stamford in 1917 by the estate of Dr. Stephen Churchill for use as a park Elevation 3,214 FeetMap (db m5402) HM
New York (Delaware County), Stamford — Utsayantha Lake
Named after Indian maiden famous in Indian legend on trail from Schoharie To Delaware and Susquehanna Rivers. Headwaters of Del. — Map (db m5352) HM
New York (Essex County), Lake Placid — Henry J. Kaiser
To Honor the Memory of Henry J. Kaiser The famous industrialist and philanthropist who operated a studio and photo shop on this site from 1901 to 1905 Brownell and Kaiser "Meet The Man with a Smile" He returned in June 1949 . . . — Map (db m46295) HM
New York (Essex County), Lake Placid — The XIII Winter Olympic Games
Here on February 13, 1980 The XIII Winter Olympic Games were opened by Vice President of the United States Walter F. Mondale and here the sacred Olympic Flame was brought from Olympia, Greece to shed its light for twelve days on the Quadrennial . . . — Map (db m46183) HM
New York (Essex County), North Elba — Here Lies Buried John Brown
John Brown of Osawatomie Here Lies Buried John Brown Born at Torrington, Connecticut May 9th, 1800 He emigrated to Kansas in 1855 where he took an active part in the contest against the pro-slavery party. He gained in August 1856 a . . . — Map (db m46521) HM
New York (Essex County), Wilmington — New York World War Veterans Memorial Highway
New York World War Veterans Memorial Highway Surveyed 1928 • Completed 1937 During the Administrations of Governors Alfred E. Smith Franklin D. Roosevelt Herbert H. Lehman * * * * * Whiteface Mountain Highway Commission William . . . — Map (db m46148) HM
New York (Fulton County), Batchellerville — Great Sacandaga Lake
Great Sacandaga Lake Created in 1930 as the Sacandaga Reservoir. Ten communities were lost or partially lost to the rising waters. — Map (db m40161) HM
New York (Fulton County), Broadalbin — 1849 Plank Road
Route of a toll road from Amsterdam to Fish House. It linked the rural economy of the Sacandaga Vly to rail & canal access in Amsterdam — Map (db m47115) HM
New York (Fulton County), Broadalbin — 1879 Fire
This Side of Street Leveled On January 21st. Sixteen Businesses Were Destroyed. It was an Economic Tragedy, With No Loss of Life. Broadalbin Historical SocietyMap (db m75110) HM
New York (Fulton County), Broadalbin — Broadalbin Methodist Episcopal Church
Erected 1824-25 Broadalbin Methodist Episcopal Church Enlarged 1840- Raised 1868 Parsonage Built 1871 Oldest Church In Broadalbin Broadalbin Historical SocietyMap (db m97374) HM
New York (Fulton County), Broadalbin — Chase's Mills
Also known as Fox Hollow. Site of c.1808 Grist-Mill. Mills here provided lumber, textiles & food, creating a center for commerce and trade — Map (db m57349) HM
New York (Fulton County), Broadalbin — Fenton Farm
1790 - 1930 Settled By Roswell Fenton Grandfather To U.S. Senator & NYS Gov Reuben E. Fenton "Breadalbane Dairy" 1930 - 50 — Map (db m111566) HM
New York (Fulton County), Broadalbin — Hotel Broadalbin
Hotel Landmark Hotel Broadalbin built 1854, added to 1881 & 1924 Served as gloveshop, hotel, hospital and present hotel — Map (db m7424) HM
New York (Fulton County), Broadalbin — Johnson Hall - 1763 — Johnstown — Historic New York
Sir William Johnson (1715-1774), Indian trader, statesman, diplomat and colonial empire builder. In 1763 he built Johnson Hall, the center of his estate and the scene of many Indian conferences. Coming from Ireland in 1738, Johnson traded with . . . — Map (db m57406) HM
New York (Fulton County), Broadalbin — Sacandaga Pike
World Record Northern Pike Caught Near Benedict Bay On 9-15-1940 By Angler Peter Dubuc 52.5" Long / 46 Lbs. 2 Oz. GSL Fisheries Federation Inc.Map (db m97313) HM
New York (Fulton County), Edinburg — Building the Batchellerville Bridge — 1929 - 1930
Contract 14 Contract 14 provided for the construction of a cantilever type steel bridge over the Sacandaga Reservoir at Batchellerville, N.Y., consisting of nineteen spans of 150 feet and two of 112 1/2 feet, including the construction of . . . — Map (db m68238) HM
New York (Fulton County), Edinburg — Early Settler
Soldier - Patriot and one of the last Revolutionary War Pensioners in the U.S. Samuel Downing 1761 - 1867 grave site Stone Arabia and Saratoga SARMap (db m47905) HM
New York (Fulton County), Fish House — Covered Bridge
Erected 1818, by state, at Fish House over Sacandaga River. D. Stewart, builder. Jacob Shew, Assemblyman. Torn down 1930. 2000 Ft. North — Map (db m44404) HM
New York (Fulton County), Gloversville — A. J. & G. Park
Opened July 12, 1906 Home of N.Y.S. League Jags Host to Future HOF Players, MLB, Negro League, Semi-Pro & Industrial Baseball Teams Dedicated October 13, 2013Map (db m76527) HM
New York (Fulton County), Gloversville — FJ&G Headquarters
Site of The Headquarters of the Fonda, Johnstown and Gloversville, Rail Road 1870 -1984 Fulton County Historian 1995 Map (db m58952) HM
New York (Fulton County), Gloversville — Kingsborough Academy
Site Of Kingsborough Academy Built 1831 Demolished 1900 Private School 1831 - 1863 Public Elementary School 1863 - 1900 Bicentennial Fulton Co. 1976Map (db m66548) HM
New York (Fulton County), Gloversville — Parkhurst Field
Parkhurst Field Original Site of 'JAG Park' & Home of Baseball Since 1906 For over one hundred years, baseball has been played on the Parkhurst Field grounds. Opened in July 1906 as the A.,J.&G. Baseball Park and home of the professional . . . — Map (db m69242) HM
New York (Fulton County), Gloversville — Trail Station Park
Trail Station Park [Text on the Back] This Monument Erected 1996 Marks the Site of the Gloversville Passenger Station and Main Offices of the Fonda, Johnstown and Gloversville Railroad It is Dedicated to those who Migrated . . . — Map (db m68346) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Battle Field
Battle of Johnstown fought Oct. 25, 1781. American forces led by Col. Willett British forces under Maj. Ross and Capt. Butler. Bicentennial Fulton Co. 1975 Map (db m58940) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Colonial Cemetery
→ Colonial Cemetery Remains of many Johnstown notables of colonial And revolutionary days buried here — Map (db m5686) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Colonial Court House
Erected 1772 Only Colonial Court House In State of New York First Court General Sessions, Tryon County, September 8, 1772 — Map (db m5682) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Elizabeth Cady Stanton
. . . — Map (db m59062) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Elizabeth Cady Stanton & Susan B. Anthony —     1815 - 1902         1820 - 1906
The History of Woman Suffrage in Four Volumes is the documentary masterpiece from 50 years of co-operative teamwork between Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony. Both were outstanding leaders in the campaign for . . . — Map (db m50238) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Fort Johnstown
Important frontier civil and military prison during revolution. Inspected by Washington in 1783 — Map (db m67459) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Fort Johnstown
. . . — Map (db m68230) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Johnson Hall
→ Baronial Home of Sir William Johnson Erected 1762 Open to Visitors — Map (db m5687) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Johnson Hall - 1763 — Johnstown — Historic New York
Historic New York Johnson Hall - 1763 Johnstown     Sir William Johnson (1715-1774), Indian trader, statesman,diplomat and Colonial Empire Builder, in 1763 built Johnson Hall, the center of his estate and the scene of many Indian . . . — Map (db m5683) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — July 9, 1889 Flood
Bridge Here Destroyed 13 Onlookers Swept Away Only 8 Survive Upon Failure of Shriver's Mill Dam — Map (db m69073) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Site of Battle In American Revolution
This tablet marks the site of the battle fought in The War of the American Revolution October 25th 1781, and was erected by The Johnstown Chapter DAR August 31st 1901 Charter Day Thus we show to Succeeding generations that we honor . . . — Map (db m59006) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — The Drumm House
1763 The Drumm House Home of Edward Wall School Master Sir William Johnson's Free School — Map (db m50749) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Who Was Sir William Johnson ?
Sir William Johnson (1715-1774) came from Ireland in 1738 to administer his uncle's lands in the Mohawk Valley. Johnson became a planter, trader, military officer, land speculator, statesman, Indian agent and churchman. He built a store to trade . . . — Map (db m58944) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Women's Rights
Birthplace of Elizabeth Cady Stanton, 1815 - 1902 Pioneer of Women's Rights A Leader in the Women's Suffrage Movement. George E. Pataki, GovernorMap (db m59068) HM
New York (Fulton County), Mayfield — Amasa Stephen
Was Murdered Near Here By Sir John Johnson And His Loyalist And Indian Allies May 22, 1780 Raid. Early Settler And Patriot — Map (db m97406) HM
New York (Fulton County), Mayfield — Anthonyville
Anthonyville Site of First Brick Home In Town of Mayfield. Birthplace of George T. Anthony. Quaker, Civil War Officer, Governor State of Kansas. 1876-1879 — Map (db m46954) HM
New York (Fulton County), Mayfield — Baptist Church
Of Mayfield and Broadalbin Organized Here in 1792, Then The Home of Caleb Woodworth, Soldier Of Revolution, First Settler — Map (db m76523) HM
New York (Fulton County), Mayfield — Burying Ground
‹— « Burying Ground Graves of Captain Gershom Woodworth, French and Indian and Revolutionary Wars and Sergeant Selah Woodworth of Revolution: Mayfield Pioneer. — Map (db m68208) HM
New York (Fulton County), Mayfield — Burying Ground
Of Major Harmon And Francis Van Buren, Seventh Albany County Regiment, Revolutionary War. Settlers On This Land. — Map (db m97468) HM
New York (Fulton County), Mayfield — Captain Solomon Woodworth — Sergeant John Dunham
. . . — Map (db m34818) HM
New York (Fulton County), Mayfield — Dutch Reformed Church of Mayfield
»—–› Site Of Dutch Reformed Church of Mayfield, 1793-1826. Churchyard containing remains of many pioneers of this section. — Map (db m68163) HM
New York (Fulton County), Mayfield — First Maple Sap Tubing System
On this site in 1916 Wm C Brower invented and patented the first sap gravity flow tubing system from tree to sugar house for making maple syrup — Map (db m68213) HM
New York (Fulton County), Mayfield — Indian Raid
Jacob Dunham and Samuel, His Son, Killed Here April 1779. Others of the Family Escaped by Hiding in The Woods. Site of Their Home. — Map (db m33007) HM
New York (Fulton County), Mayfield — Mayfield Fort
Built and Garrisoned During the Revolution as A Refuge for Settlers Of Vicinity — Map (db m33005) HM
New York (Fulton County), Mayfield — Nick Stoner Hut
Here Henry Stoner and his sons Nick and John held the cabin against the Tory and Indian raiders who burned Broadalbin, June 1778. — Map (db m68197) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Halifax — Pennsylvania Canal — Eastern Division
This Division was built, 1826-33; operated until 1901. Here, at old Clark's Ferry Towpath Bridge, the State's great inland canal traffic in iron, coal, and lumber crossed the Susquehanna. Lykens Valley coal trade, by way of Wiconisco Canal, joined . . . — Map (db m6901) HM
Pennsylvania (Fulton County), Burnt Cabins — Burnt Cabins
McConnellsburg 15 Burnt Cabins To Pacify Indians Cabins Of Intruding White Settlers Burned Here 1750 By Order of the Provincial Government — Map (db m32406) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — Propeller From The RMS Lusitania
RMS Lusitania was a British ocean liner built in 1906 and operated by the Cunard Line. The ship entered passenger service in August 1907 and continued on the line’s heavily traveled Liverpool, England to New York City route. During World War I, . . . — Map (db m117031) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — The Grassy Knoll
Journalist Merriman Smith, riding in the motorcade five cars behind President Kennedy reported seeing Dallas Police run up this hill, which he called a grassy knoll. Some witnesses believed shots came from the knoll area, but police found no . . . — Map (db m116916) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Bennington — The "Corkscrew" Railroad
When wealthy North Bennington resident Trenor Park purchased the Bennington-Rutland Railroad, he found that the railroad "barons" of the Troy and Boston Railroad refused him access to the New York lines. Rather than fight this monopoly, Park built a . . . — Map (db m36902) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Bennington — Vermont's Colonial Shrine — Vermont Legislature Joint Resolution December 11, 1935
Whereas, the Old First Church of Bennington was organized December 3, 1762, and is the Oldest Church within the present limits of Vermont; and Whereas, our forefathers met in Prayer in the First Meeting House for assistance against the . . . — Map (db m28223) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Old Bennington — Bennington Battle Monument
On August 16, 1777, British forces sent by Gen'l Burgoyne to seize supplies at Bennington were turned back by New Englanders under Gen'l John Stark and Vermont's Col. Seth Warner. This 306 foot commemorative shaft planned 100 years later, was . . . — Map (db m13600) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Old Bennington — Continental Storehouse Site
On this site stood the Continental Storehouse Object of the British attack that was repulsed by the Colonial Forces at the Battle of Bennington August 16, 1777 — Map (db m14828) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Shaftsbury — Governor Jonas Galusha Homestead
Jonas Galusha, born in Norwich, CT in 1753, moved his family to Shaftsbury in 1775. During the Revolutionary War he served with Seth Warner's Green Mountain Boys and was at the Battle of Hubbardton and a Captain during the Battle of Bennington. A . . . — Map (db m27799) HM

603 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 403
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.