Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

675 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 475
 
Peat Marker (side 2) image, Touch for more information
By Paul Fehrenbach, June 23, 2011
Peat Marker (side 2)
Florida (Bay County), Callaway — F-728 — Old Callaway One-Room School House
The Callaway School House was built in 1911 (two years prior to the creation of Bay County in 1913) on the SW corner of Beulah Avenue and Letohattchee Street. Callaway had been surveyed and platted in 1908 by Pitt Milner Callaway for whom the . . . — Map (db m73287) HM
Florida (Bay County), Panama City — F-657 — John Christo, Senior
(side A) Built in 1927 by A.A. Payne, a banker, and bought by John Christo, Sr., the house is significant in architecture, a mixture of styles typical of the late 19th and early 20th centuries which includes Neo-Colonial Revival and . . . — Map (db m42117) HM
Florida (Bay County), Panama City — F-603 — St. Andrew(s) School
The first school in St. Andrew, a community established ca. 1827, was built in 1850. That building burned down. The second school was a two-story wooden structure with two large rooms on each floor. The school had four teachers and 100 students. In . . . — Map (db m42116) HM
Florida (Bay County), Panama City — F-479 — The Gideon Versus Wainwright Case
This is the site of the landmark Gideon case, after which the Public Defender system was established in Florida and throughout the nation. In 1961, Clarence Earl Gideon (1910-1972) stood trial in this courthouse for the felony of burglary. Lacking . . . — Map (db m42115) HM
Florida (Bay County), Parker — F-459 — Site of Loftin's Ferry
Loftin’s Ferry, on Pitts Avenue, which later became Parker, was an important part of the major land route called the “Military Road” that ran from Apalachicola through St. Joseph to Marianna and beyond. This road, constructed from 1836 . . . — Map (db m42114) HM
Florida (Charlotte County), Punta Gorda — Site of Hotel Punta Gorda
Hotel Punta Gorda, one the first buildings of any kind constructed in Punta Gorda, opened in January 1888 and served over 3300 guests within its first season. The three story building contained 150 rooms, all with a view of the waters of Charlotte . . . — Map (db m32408) HM
Florida (Holmes County), Bonifay — F-63 — Holmes County
Holmes County, noted for agriculture and timber, was created in 1848. The first county seat was at Hewett's Bluff, later known as Bear Pen. Cerro Gordo and Westville also served as county seat. Bonifay, the present site, was selected in 1905. . . . — Map (db m73288) HM
Florida (Holmes County), Pittman — F-476 — Keith Cabin
In 1880, William Thomas Keith (1856-1949) homesteaded ten acres upon which this house stands. In 1886 he filed a homestead entry with the U.S. Public Land Office and in the fall of that year built this cabin that became home for himself, his wife, . . . — Map (db m73289) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — Historic Site
The Sisters of Mercy founded Atlanta's first hospital on this site in 1880. Saint Joseph's Hospital occupied this location until 1978, when it moved to 5665 Peachtree-Dunwoody Road. — Map (db m106785) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — Saint Joseph'sAtlanta's Oldest Hospital
On April 21, 1880, four Sisters of Mercy from Savannah, Georgia opened Atlanta's first permanent hospital, a 10-bed facility located on this site, where it remained for nearly 100 years. During that time, the hospital grew in size and scope, . . . — Map (db m106788) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — The 1992 River West Gas Fires
At 4 P.M. on January 17, 1992, a series of explosions and fires ravaged the River West community. The fires were in an area bounded by the Chicago River, the Kennedy Expressway, and Kinzie and Division Streets. The devastation was caused by . . . — Map (db m61460) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago Heights — Site of Absolem Wells Cabin
Site of Absolem Wells Cabin 1833 First Settler Southern Cook County — Map (db m87081) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Homewood — Dixie Highway
Dixie Highway was the first national road linking industrial northern states to agricultural southern states. Several governors met in 1915 to consider an improved road to Miami. Ten states lobbied for inclusion, resulting in eastern and western . . . — Map (db m87086) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Homewood — Dixie Highway connected Chicago to Miami in the early days of automobile travelHomewood: a bustling town grows along a former Indian trail
Following a path worn by buffalo, Native Americans traveled the length of the eastern border of Illinois. French fur trapper-traders utilized the same trail. Gurdon Saltonstall Hubbard, a fur trader for John Jacob Astor’s American Fur Trading . . . — Map (db m87082) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Homewood — Washington Park Racetrack
Opening on July 3, 1926, with the American Derby and a $100,000 purse, Washington Park Racetrack, built by Washington Park Corporation and Illinois Jockey Club, became a home for the nation's finest thoroughbreds. Colonel Matt Winn and the American . . . — Map (db m87089) HM
Illinois (Cook County), River Forest — River Forest, IllinoisProud Heritage – Bright Future
The site of present-day River Forest was once home to prehistoric Native Americans, who constructed large effigy mounds throughout the region. Soon after the American Revolution Chippewa, Menominee, and Potawatomi Indians moved onto the landscape, . . . — Map (db m94461) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Thornton — Camp Thornton #2605 and the Civil Conservation CorpsCamp Motto: " String Along"
In the spring of 1934, Camp Thornton opened on this site as a home to young men of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). At first, the men slept in tents in grass and weeds three feet tall. Later they built their own military style barracks with . . . — Map (db m87090) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Winnetka — The Green Bay Trail
One branch of the Green Bay Trail traversed this region. Originally an Indian trail, after 1816 the route connected Fort Dearborn at Chicago with Fort Howard at Green Bay. Couriers faced hunger, cold and Indians to carry dispatches on a round trip . . . — Map (db m66618) HM
Illinois (Du Page County), Glen Ellyn — Glen Ellyn Main Street Historic DistrictNational Register of Historic Places
The district includes homes from 549-592 Main Street. The architecturally significant homes are typical of the Victorian Era. — Map (db m97865) HM
Illinois (DuPage County), Glen Ellyn — Stacy’s Tavern
Moses Stacy, soldier in the War of 1812, arrived here in 1835. This inn, built in 1846 and his second home, was a halfway stop between Chicago and the Fox River Valley and a probable stage stop for Rockford-Galena coaches. For many years the village . . . — Map (db m97573) HM
Illinois (DuPage County), Naperville — Fort Payne
Near this site in 1832 a 100-foot square stockade enclosed by wooden pickets, with two blockhouses on diagonal corners, was built. Here Captain Morgan L. Payne and his company of forty-five men protected the settlers from roaming Sauk Indians during . . . — Map (db m97574) HM
Illinois (Lake County), Lake Bluff — The Dwyer Settlement in Lake County, Illinois
In 1837 William Dwyer, his wife Mary, and her brother, Dr. Richard Murphy, established a claim to the property on this site and created what was known as the Dwyer Settlement. The Dwyer homestead included a tavern and one of the three stage stops . . . — Map (db m66619) HM
Illinois (Lake County), Rondout — The Rondout Train Robbery
On June 12, 1924, the largest train robbery in U.S. history occurred near here. Bandits boarded the train in Chicago and forced postal clerks to surrender sacks containing more than two-million dollars in securities and cash. Local police . . . — Map (db m54066) HM
Illinois (Lake County), Wauconda — Andrew C. Cook House
In 1840, Andrew C. Cook and his wife Mary Oakes came to Wauconda Township from Vermont, via the Erie Canal, the Great Lakes to Chicago and then to Wauconda. They purchased 380 acres of land at $1.25 per acre. A log cabin was erected before clearing . . . — Map (db m54062) HM
Illinois (Lake County), Waukegan — Joseph T. Bowen Country Club
From 1912 to 1962, Bowen Park was the site of the Joseph T. Bowen Country Club, owned by the Hull-House Association of Chicago. Here, children from many national, racial and religious backgrounds learned to respect each other and the environment. . . . — Map (db m54019) HM
Indiana (Lake County), Gary — 45.2014.1 — Froebel School
Side A Froebel opened here, 1912, as many European immigrants and southern blacks moved to Gary for jobs in steel mills. An experiment in progressive education, it served students of diverse backgrounds and the local community. Despite . . . — Map (db m86967) HM
Indiana (Lake County), Gary — 45.2014.2 — Stewart Settlement House
Side A Stewart House was organized during depression of 1921 to provide social services for Gary’s black community. A vital neighborhood center for unemployed WWI veterans and southern blacks who migrated for jobs in steel mills, it helped . . . — Map (db m86966) HM
Indiana (Madison County), Markleville — Bicentennial1776 – 1976
The original log cabin of John D. Markle 1793 – 1865 was erected on this site in 1833. An early pioneer of Adams Township, Mr. Markle founded the town of Markleville in 1854, and was Postmaster until 1860. — Map (db m106449) HM
Indiana (Madison County), Pendleton — Carnegie LibraryTown of Pendleton
Side A Pendleton’s first Library Association was formed in 1877. Subscribers paid $5 each for one of 200 association shares. In 1906, 18 community residents formed the Independent Social Club. Each read a book, they brought it to a meeting. . . . — Map (db m104357) HM
Indiana (Madison County), Pendleton — Falls ParkTown of Pendleton
Side A After decades as a milling center and stone quarry, the area around the falls was, by 1918, an eyesore. Pendleton hardware store owner and town board member B.F. Phipps felt the area should be more than the town dump. His vision: Clean it . . . — Map (db m104360) HM
Indiana (Madison County), Pendleton — 48.2017.1 — Indians Murdered 1824
Side A U.S. took American Indian lands in central Indiana by treaty in 1818. Some Indian villages and camps remained in the area as white settlers rushed to buy land. In the spring of 1824, white men murdered nine Indian men, women and children . . . — Map (db m104355) HM
Michigan (Dickinson County), Iron Mountain — L0501 — Carnegie Library
While in Iron Mountain on Business during 1901, Andrew Carnegie saw the need for a library on the Menominee Iron Range which was then a prospering area. He donated $15,000 for this building. Serving the community for over seventy years, the . . . — Map (db m106021) HM
Michigan (Dickinson County), Iron Mountain — L0563 — Dickinson County / Dickinson County Courthouse and Jail
Dickinson County In 1873, John Lane Buell exposed one of the richest deposits of iron ore in the world. His discovery, known as the Menominee Iron Range, led to the development of the area and the subsequent creation of Dickinson County in . . . — Map (db m106022) HM
Michigan (Dickinson County), Iron Mountain — L0661 — Maria Santissima Immacolata di Lourdes / Mary Immaculate of Lourdes Church
Maria Santissima Immacolata di Lourdes In the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries Italian immigrants came to Iron Mountain to work in the iron mines. In 1890, Italian Catholics from the community’s north side organized what was . . . — Map (db m106024) HM
Michigan (Dickinson County), Iron Mountain — Robert C. Hoyle(1910 – 1999)
Robert C. Hoyle, native of Iron Mountain and a prominent local businessman, was founder of this flourishing historical museum complex. He started at age fifteen to collect artifacts and archival materials relating to Menominee Iron Range history. It . . . — Map (db m106020) HM
Michigan (Dickinson County), Iron Mountain — L0148 — The Ardis Furnace
Inventor John T. Jones of Iron Mountain recognized the economic potential of the low-grade iron ore of the Upper Peninsula. He developed a method for processing the ore and built an experimental furnace in 1908, named for his daughter Ardis, to test . . . — Map (db m106023) HM
Michigan (Gogebic County), Bessemer — 292 — Copper Peak Chippewa Hill
At an altitude of more than 1500 feet, 300 feet above the surrounding terrain, this location was the southernmost area in Michigan to offer a prospect of producing copper in commercial amounts. The Chippewa Copper Mining Company began work here in . . . — Map (db m45043) HM
Michigan (Gogebic County), Bessemer — 89 — Gogebic Iron Range
The Gogebic was the last of the three great iron ore fields opened in the Upper Peninsula and northern Wisconsin. Beginning in 1848 with Dr. A. Randall, federal and state geologists had mapped the ore formations almost perfectly long before any ore . . . — Map (db m45035) HM
Michigan (Gogebic County), Bessemer — Memory Lane Highway
Honoring the men and women from this community who served their country. Sponsored jointly by the Bessemer Woman’s Club and the Michigan State Highway Department Dedicated May 30, 1949 — Map (db m45037) HM
Michigan (Gogebic County), Erwin Township — 2237 — Erwin Central School
In 1909 the newly formed Erwin Township School District built this one-room schoolhouse. The school served the area’s Finnish-born mining, logging, and farming families. The township bought the school in 1928 and altered it for use as the Town Hall . . . — Map (db m103460) HM
Michigan (Gogebic County), Ironwood — 560 — Curry House
Here lived Solomon S. Curry, pioneer in the mining industry of the Ironwood area. Curry, a progressive, broad-minded man, was also instrumental in the building of the city of Ironwood, which through his efforts, grew from a wilderness to one of the . . . — Map (db m45047) HM
Michigan (Gogebic County), Ironwood — 523 — Newport Hill
On this site, on October 8, 1871, geologist Raphael Pumpelly of Harvard University discovered one of the iron ore formations that created Gogebic County’s “boom era”. The Newport Mine, named for Pumpelly’s home in Rhode Island, began . . . — Map (db m45048) HM
Michigan (Gogebic County), Ironwood — 12 — Norrie Park
This recreational area was named in honor of A. Lanfear Norrie, who in 1882 began to explore for iron ore on the Gogebic Range. His discovery resulted in the opening of the Norrie Mine in Ironwood. Soon other mines, such as the Ashland, Aurora, . . . — Map (db m45038) HM
Michigan (Gogebic County), Ironwood — Pabst Mine "H" Shaft
On Friday, September 24th, 1926, a disaster occurred at the Pabst Mine. "G" Shaft, located approximately 300 yards southwest of this spot, collapsed. 3 men riding in the cage freefell 2,600 feet. 43 men were trapped on the 8th level, 727 feet below . . . — Map (db m45051) HM
Michigan (Iron County), Crystal Falls — L0179 — Iron County
Side A This county was set off in 1885 from Marquette and Menominee counties. Iron ore deposits which gave the new county its name were the first on the Menominee Iron Range to be discovered. Shipping of ores began in 1882 when the railroad . . . — Map (db m106026) HM
Michigan (Iron County), Crystal Falls — Iron County Courthouse
The site of the Iron County Courthouse was finally settled following a series of mischievous manipulation and political intrigue back in 1888. The temporary county seat, Iron River, had been established in 1885 when Iron County was severed off from . . . — Map (db m106027) HM
Michigan (Iron County), Iron River — 213 — First Roadside Park
In 1918 the Iron County Board of Supervisors approved the recommendation of the road commission, through its engineer-manager, Herbert F. Larson, to purchase this 320-acre tract of roadside virgin timber and to dedicate it as a forest preserve. The . . . — Map (db m103471) HM
Michigan (Iron County), Iron River — Larson Park
Mining Bates Township had three mines: The Bates, Chicagon, and Rogers. Together they shipped a total of 8,196,380 tons of ore from 1909-1947. Forestry Larson Park sits in a tract of 320 acres of old growth forest. There are two . . . — Map (db m103472) HM
Michigan (Iron County), Stambaugh Township — 342 — Indian Village
Here, in 1851, U.S. surveyor Guy H. Carleton discovered an Ojibwa (Chippewa) Indian village, cemetery and camp ground. Chief Edwards, last ruler at Chicaugon Lake, received a patent for this land in 1884. Selling it in 1891, he and his wife Pentoga, . . . — Map (db m103462) HM
Michigan (Iron County), Stambaugh Township — Pentoga Park
Discover the site of a pre-European Native American settlement and permanent area headquarters where Ojibwe bands congregated. Wooden burial structures protect and mark graves of these ancient bands. When Chief Edwards moved towards Lac Vieux Desert . . . — Map (db m103463) HM
Minnesota (Aitkin County), McGregor — Glacial Lake Aitkin / Peat
(side 1) Glacial Lake Aitkin Two million years ago the first of four glaciers covered the surface of Minnesota. They were named for the limit of their southward expansion. The first was the Nebraskan, followed by the Kansan and the . . . — Map (db m43932) HM
Minnesota (Crow Wing County), Deerwood — The Cuyuna Range
Named for entrepreneur Cuyler Adams and his faithful dog Una, the Cuyuna Ranges lies at the westernmost edge of a ring of iron ore that circles Lake Superior. The smallest of Minnesota’s three northern iron ranges, the Cuyuna was also the last to be . . . — Map (db m43934) HM
Minnesota (Crow Wing County), Fort Ripley — Fort Ripley
The establishment of Fort Ripley in 1848 represents the U.S. government’s effort to establish control on the northern frontier. Construction began on the west bank of the Mississippi River across from this point a year before Minnesota became a . . . — Map (db m43935) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Christ Church LutheranNational Register of Historic Places — June 20, 2001
Christ Church Lutheran was founded on 1911. This building, designed by world famous Finnish architect, Eliel Saarinen, was completed in 1949. Immediately the building received international acclaim as one of the earliest examples of modernist design . . . — Map (db m50066) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Pillsbury A Mill
Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the History of the United States U.S. . . . — Map (db m95383) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — The Basilica of Saint Mary
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m75412) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 86 — Adina de Zavala(November 28, 1861 – March 1, 1955)
As the granddaughter of Lorenzo de Zavala (1789-1836), first vice-president of the Republic of Texas, young Adina de Zavala was exposed to vivid accounts of Texas' revolutionary and republican past. She became a guiding force in the preservation of . . . — Map (db m61083) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 300 — Barbed Wire
At first called "Devil's Rope" by cowboys, barbed wire was patented in 1873 but found little favor with Texas cattlemen until the late 1870s, when its use and practicality were shown in a sensational demonstration here in San Antonio. Its . . . — Map (db m61084) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 1498 — Ernst Homestead
Built about 1890, this home was constructed on land bordering the Mission Concepcion Acequia (Canal). In 1896 the site was purchased by Prussian native William Ernst (1830-1904), a former mail carrier between Fredericksburg and San Antonio. Ernst . . . — Map (db m61089) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 3096 — Little Church of La Villita
In 1846, the Rev. J.W. De Vilbiss bought a Methodist Church site (across street) in this block. He set up a bell, to denote worship site, but did not build when lot title proved defective. In 1879, German Methodists erected this Gothic Revival . . . — Map (db m61253) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 2453 — O. Henry House
(top marker) O. Henry House Typical of the homes of early German settlers, this two-room dwelling was built by John Kush about 1855. It originally stood on south Presa Street. It was occupied in 1895-96 by William Sidney Porter, . . . — Map (db m61240) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 13322 — Site of the Old Adobe1846-1868
First Presbyterian Church in San Antonio. Built by Rev. John McCollough (1805-1870). Used by all Protestant faiths. Plastered rock construction. — Map (db m61238) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 399 — The Bexar County Courthouse
This courthouse occupies the south side of Main Plaza, formerly called "La Plaza de las Islas", as originally laid out by the Canary Islanders in 1731. As it was then, this plaza is the administrative and judicial heart of Bexar County. This is . . . — Map (db m61088) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 3680 — The Oge House
One of early stone residences of San Antonio. First floor and basement were built as early as 1857 when place was owned by Attorney Newton A. Mitchell and wife Catherine (Elder). Louis Oge (1832-1915) bought house in 1881, after migrating . . . — Map (db m61254) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Zero Milestone Old Spanish Trail
St. Augustine Pensacola – Mobile New Orleans – Houston San Antonio El Paso – Tucson – Yuma San Diego Dedicated by Governor Pat M. Neff March 27, 1924 Erected by the San Antonio City Federation of . . . — Map (db m60767) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Ashland — Doctor Edwin Ellis1824 - 1903 — Father of Ashland
A man of indomitable faith, he brought culture to a wilderness. Learning and religion were of first concern. Freely giving to both, he labored unceasingly for a city whose good lay very close to his heart. — Map (db m94062) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Ashland — 304 — Fleet Admiral William D. Leahy
William Daniel Leahy was born in Iowa in 1875 and his family soon moved to Wisconsin. He graduated from Ashland High School in 1892 and for the rest of his life considered Ashland his home town. Leahy graduated from the Naval Academy and served . . . — Map (db m48412) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Ashland — 224 — Northland College
North Wisconsin Academy, founded in 1892 by the Congregational Churches, provided the first high school education available to young people of the small, isolated lumber camp, sawmill and farm communities in the area known as the Great Lakes Pinery, . . . — Map (db m48411) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Ashland — 6 — Radisson-Groseilliers Fort
A crude structure of boughs of trees “layed acrosse, one upon an other” was erected near here by Pierre Radisson and Medart Groseilliers in 1659. The two French traders came to Chequamegon Bay from Montreal and Radisson's account of . . . — Map (db m48410) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Ashland — Schooner LucerneHistoric Shipwreck — Wisconsin’s Maritime Trails
Type; Wooden Schooner, three-masted Built: 1873, Parsons & Humble, Tonawanda, N.Y. Sank: November 17, 1886 Length: 195’ Beam: 34’ Cargo: Grain, coal, and iron ore Depth: 20’ Lives Lost: 9 Listed on the National Register of Historic . . . — Map (db m46920) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), La Pointe — Early VesselsWisconsin's Maritime Trails
Native American canoes launched North America’s maritime legacy about 12,000 years ago, making them among the world’s oldest watercraft. The origins of the birchbark canoe are told in the oral traditions of the Ojibwe people. The spirit . . . — Map (db m57836) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), La Pointe — 108 — Madeline IslandKnown to the Ojibway Indians as Moningwunakauning, "The Home of The Golden Breasted Woodpecker"
The largest of the Apostle Islands was one of the earliest areas of Indian settlement, fur trade, missionary activity and commercial fishing in the interior of North America. It was discovered by French explorers in 1659. Trading posts were built . . . — Map (db m57662) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Bayfield — A Turning Point in Place and Time
You are standing at the “turning Point” for the Bayfield Waterfront Walk and across the water is a place of significance where “turning points” in history occurred. Madeline Island, or “Mooningwanekaaning Minis,” . . . — Map (db m98243) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Bayfield — Bayfield Historic WaterfrontEastern Waterfront / Ferry Dock — Wisconsin's Maritime Trails
Bayfield’s history has been powerfully shaped by its location. Situated on the shores of a deep, natural harbor, the city is sheltered from Lake Superior’s notorious storms by the outlying Apostle Islands. Lighthouses, shipwrecks, and a historic . . . — Map (db m57835) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Bayfield — Memorial to Commercial Fishermen of BayfieldPast—Present—Future
Dedicated in 1981 to the hard working commercial fishermen whose indomitable spirits will not be forgotten. Commissioned by Edwin Erickson, Mayor of Bayfield, 1970-1976 & 1980-1988 Designed by Harold Kerr (1909-1981) Constructed by . . . — Map (db m57811) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Bayfield — Schooner PretoriaHistoric Shipwreck — Wisconsin’s Maritime Trails
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places In the waters off Outer Island lies the wreck of the Pretoria, one of the largest wooden vessels ever to sail the Great lakes. On September 1, 1905, Captain Charles Smart and nine crew . . . — Map (db m98244) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Bayfield — The Booth Cooperage
At one time, a local fishery once encompassed this entire block. Early sailing vessels would bring their harvests here to be salt packed in barrels and shipped to market. Here in “The Cooperage,” one of the remaining buildings of that . . . — Map (db m57810) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Cornucopia — 28 — Tragedy of The Siskiwit
Once upon a time, according to an old Indian legend, the sand beach on the east side of this bay was a favorite camping ground. One spring a few lodges of Chippewa from La Pointe encamped here. When their chief, Bi-aus-wah, returned from the hunt, . . . — Map (db m30843) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Herbster — 522 — "The Gym"
When the community sought funding for a new gymnasium and town hall, they looked to the Work Progress Administration, a depression-era program, which utilized local materials and labor to create jobs for unemployed workers. Architect Roland C. Buck . . . — Map (db m36553) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Port Wing — 145 — School Consolidation
As the 20th century began, logging operations were in full swing in this area and the small log schoolhouses could not handle the increasing number of students. Some classes were held in churches but additional facilities were needed. T.N. . . . — Map (db m30845) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Town of Russell — Hokenson Brothers Fishery
Harvesting the Waters In 1927, the Hokenson brothers (Leo, Roy, and Eskel) began life as fishermen. For more than 30 years, they met the challenges of fishing the largest lake in the world, relying on their skills, strength, and . . . — Map (db m46908) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Town of Russell — Steamer SevonaHistoric Shipwreck — Wisconsin's Maritime Trails
Type: Steel, bulk and package freighter Built: 1890, Frank W. Wheeler, Bay City, Mich. Sank: September 2, 1905 Length: 372’ Beam: 41’ Cargo: Iron ore Propulsion: Propeller Depth of Wreckage: 25’ Lives Lost: 7 Listed on the . . . — Map (db m46907) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Washburn — Bank of Washburn1890
The Bank of Washburn is a unique variation of the Romanesque Revival Style designed by architects Conover & Porter of Ashland, Wisconsin. Built in less than one year, the building was fashioned from brownstone quarried at Houghton Point located . . . — Map (db m48439) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Washburn — 49 — Madeline Island
To the east is Madeline Island, known to the Ojibway as Moning-wunakauning, “The Home of the Golden Breasted Woodpecker.” The French soldier Pierre le Sueur built his post there in 1693. In 1718 a fort was erected which remained France’s . . . — Map (db m30844) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Washburn — The Sprague WellHistorical Landmark
The Sprague Well, believed to be the first drilled artesian well in Bayfield County, was completed at 119 feet 8 inches in April, 1903 by Monroe H. Sprague at the mill office of the Akeley–Sprague Lumber Co. Flow from the 4 inch casing was . . . — Map (db m57812) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Washburn — Washburn Historic WaterfrontBigelow / Hines Railroad Trestle — Wisconsin's Maritime Trails
In the early days of Washburn, the waterfront was filled with saw mills. The A.A. Bigelow Mill (1887-1902), later to become the Hines Mill, was the largest of three major sawmills in Washburn. It rested on pilings that ran directly out from the . . . — Map (db m57839) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Washburn — Washburn Lumbering Days / The Hines Lumber Company
(side 1) Washburn Lumbering Days Washburn begins on the shoreline of Chequamegon Bay. The city rises gradually 75 ft. above level of the water. In 1884, the town was created, born of the necessity of the railway (Chicago, St. Paul, . . . — Map (db m57824) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Washburn — Washburn, The Monolith City
This title was given back in 1892 when Frederick Prentice, president of the Prentice Brownstone Co. of Wisconsin, offered to supply a huge brownstone monolith for the Wisconsin Exhibit at the 1893 World’s Fair in Chicago. He proposed to furnish this . . . — Map (db m48441) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 494 — Cnesses Israel Synagogue
Upon this site stood Cnesses Israel Synagogue, the first Jewish congregation in Brown County dedicated September 4, 1904 (24 Elul 5664). Designed by local architect Henry A. Foeller, the synagogue was Moorish in design and had two octagonal towers . . . — Map (db m51362) HM
Wisconsin (Burnett County), Grantsburg — 1980 Ekdall Church Fire
The weather on April 21, 1980 was unseasonably hot and dry. On that day a temperature of 91 degrees combined with a humidity of 18 percent to set the stage for a catastrophic fire. At approximately 12:20 pm. that sweltering afternoon, the historic . . . — Map (db m68642) HM
Wisconsin (Burnett County), Grantsburg — Canute AndersonFather of Burnett County — April 14, 1830 - July 31, 1893
Canute Anderson was born Canute Ingverson Eggum in Laerdal, Norway. He arrived in the Grantsburg area in 1854, establishing a stopping place and trading post where the buildings southeast of this marker stand. Opening the first post office in his . . . — Map (db m68715) HM
Wisconsin (Burnett County), Grantsburg — 241 — Crex Meadows
During the last Wisconsin glaciation the advance of the Grantsburg sublobe blocked drainage, resulting in the formation of Glacial Lake Grantsburg. Natural succession eventually formed the extensive peat marshes known today as Crex Meadows. Prior . . . — Map (db m68641) HM
Wisconsin (Calumet County), New Holstein — 525 — St. Martin’s Church
In 1853, a group of German Catholics from Silesia, Prussia, emigrated to the Charlestown area. By 1866, the congregation had built a log church where they could assemble for services. They erected the current church in 1875, using limestone from a . . . — Map (db m53326) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — 562 — The White Pine in Neillsville History
Side A Neillsville has strong ties to the majestic white pine forests of the Wisconsin Territory. These forests along the Black River and its tributaries drew members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1841. Remembered . . . — Map (db m103979) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Columbus — Columbus City Hall
This 1892 Richardsonian Romanesque building was designed by T.D. Allen of Minneapolis using local materials. It originally housed the Library, Kindergarten and Fire Station in addition to the City Offices, Police Departments and Auditorium. The . . . — Map (db m67231) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Columbus — Farmers & Merchants Union BankEstablished 1861
In 1919, Bank President J. Russell Wheeler and his wife, Anna May Wheeler, retained Architect Louis Sullivan. Known as the father of the skyscraper, Sullivan was to design a building that would give the bank an image of financial security, civic . . . — Map (db m67230) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — Pierre Pauquette Ferry
Landing place of the ferry built by Pierre Pauquette and operated by him from about 1828 until his death in 1836. This ferry was in use until the first bridge was built across the Wisconsin River in 1857. — Map (db m74344) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — Trinity United Church of Christ
Trinity United Church of Christ Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Trinitatus Evangelische 1871 — Map (db m108279) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Poynette — 545 — Wallis Rowan and His Cabin
Wallis/Wallace Rowan (1800-1847) was born in Kentucky of Scotch Irish descent. He was a lead miner, trader, innkeeper, land speculator, farmer, and mill owner. In 1818 he married Elizabeth “Betsy” Metcalf in Illinois. By 1828 Rowan was . . . — Map (db m67233) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Belleville — 329 — Primrose Lutheran Church
In the mid-nineteenth century, many newly arrived Norwegian immigrants in southern Wisconsin depended upon the spiritual and practical guidance of itinerant Lutheran ministers to help successfully adapt to the new land. One of the most influential . . . — Map (db m55047) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Blue Mounds — 38 — German ValleyEvangelical Lutheran Parochial Schule
German immigrant families from Hesse began settling in this area of Blue Mounds Township in the 1840s. As early as 1856, Lutheran missionaries conducted home services for the rural community. In 1867, on acreage purchased from Justus Heuser, a frame . . . — Map (db m75828) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 202 — North Hall
The first building erected by the University of Wisconsin-Madison was North Hall, opened as North Dormitory for men on September 17, 1851. It was built of Madison sandstone at a cost of $19,000. Initially, the first three floors housed from 50 to 65 . . . — Map (db m31583) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Pioneer Men and Women
In memory of the pioneer men and women who passed this way in covered wagons 1830-1930 Erected by John Bell Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1931 — Map (db m75656) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 37 — State Historical Society
Dedicated to the conservation, advancement and dissemination of the American heritage, the Society was founded in 1846, chartered in 1853. Legislative support, the first bestowed in any state, began in 1854; the Society became a state agency in . . . — Map (db m31582) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 397 — Third Lake Passage
On July 20th, during the Black Hawk War of 1832, Black Hawk led about 700 Sac, Fox and Kickapoo Indians past this point and through the “Third Lake Passage,” the juncture of the Yahara River and Lake Monona. By sunset, the military also . . . — Map (db m31777) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Mazomanie — Lynch and Walker Flouring Mill1857-1900
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior —————————— In 1857 George Lynch and George Walker, both of Milwaukee, . . . — Map (db m60891) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Mazomanie — 106 — The Ringling Brothers
On November 27, 1882, the Ringling Brothers of Baraboo formally started in the show business in Mazomanie, Wis. Here, in Schmitz Hall was presented The Ringling Bros. Classic and Comic Concert Co. Two years later the brothers started their own . . . — Map (db m60890) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Town of Albion — 95 — Albion Academy
Albion Academy and Normal Institute, chartered in 1853 and opened in 1854, on land donated by Jesse Saunders, was founded and operated by Northwestern Seventh Day Baptist Association until 1894; by Peter Hendrickson, former Beloit College professor, . . . — Map (db m40436) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Town of Albion — 16 — Sterling North
Sterling North, internationally known author of best seller Rascal and 31 other books, was born in the town of Albion on the shores of Lake Koshkonong in 1906. His father, David, attended the Albion Academy. Sterling graduated from Edgerton . . . — Map (db m40433) HM
Wisconsin (Dodge County), Beaver Dam — 109 — Wayland Hall
Begun in 1855 and first named College Hall, this was the original building of Wayland University, founded by the Wisconsin Baptist Educational Society. Until 1889 it was the only building and housed faculty, students and all activities of the . . . — Map (db m38572) HM
Wisconsin (Dodge County), Lomira — 301 — World War II
More than 330,000 Wisconsin residents, including 9,000 women, served in the armed forces between December 7, 1941, and the surrender of Japan on September 2, 1945. They participated in every theater of war and in virtually every major campaign, from . . . — Map (db m37976) HM
Wisconsin (Dodge County), Mayville — Hollenstein Wagon and Carriage Factory
The building occupied by the Mayville Historical Society Museum was built by John J. Hollenstein, Sr., as his home, wagon and carriage factory. Born in St. Gallen, Switzerland, in 1842; he married Dominica Zuest and emigrated to the United States in . . . — Map (db m36917) HM
Wisconsin (Dodge County), Mayville — 98 — The Mayville White Limestone School Building
The North half was built in 1857-58 and the South extension was added in 1877. This school made it possible to classify the pupils and three departments were established. E.J. Foster was the first teacher. This handsome building has withstood the . . . — Map (db m36918) HM
Wisconsin (Dodge County), Mayville — 193 — Wisconsin’s First Iron Smelter
Mayville was founded in 1845 by Alvin and William Foster and Chester and S.P. May. Iron ore was discovered by these men approximately four miles south of Mayville. A quantity of the ore was taken to the nearest iron smelter in Mishawaka, Indiana, in . . . — Map (db m36919) HM
Wisconsin (Dodge County), Theresa — 345 — Solomon Juneau House
Born in 1793, Solomon Juneau, a French Canadian agent for the American Fur Company and founder of the City of Milwaukee, established one of his outlying trading posts in this vicinity along the east branch of the Rock River in the early 1830s. He . . . — Map (db m36920) HM
Wisconsin (Dodge County), Waupun — Carnegie Library
Waupun Wis. has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Dept. of Interior Sept. 4, 1979 Wapun Historical Society — Map (db m55384) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Jacksonport — Reynolds' PierWisconsin's Maritime Trails — Historic Site
Schooner Perry Hannah Type: Wooden Schooner, two-masted Built: 1859, Thomas Arnold, Newport, Mich. Sank: October 16, 1880 Length: 93’ Beam: 25’ Cargo: Wood Depth of Wreckage: 6’ Schooner Cecelia Type: Wooden . . . — Map (db m107152) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Brule — 170 — Brule River
The Brule River flows in the former channel of a larger river which once flowed in the opposite direction and drained melting ice from glacial lake Duluth. The receding glacier created Lake Superior and also carved the valley now occupied by the . . . — Map (db m58502) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Brule — Daniel Greysolon Sieur Dulhut
In June and July 1680 Daniel Greysolon Sieur Dulhut “Gentleman of the King’s Guard” Soldier, Explorer, Trader, and Governor accompanied by four Frenchmen LaMaitre, Bellegrade, Masson, and Pepin, passed up the Brule River, . . . — Map (db m58504) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Lake Nebagamon — 151 — Evergreen Park Cottage Sanatorium
Here, in 1903, Dr. W.B. Hopkins, Cumberland, opened the first tuberculosis sanatorium in Wisconsin. He built an office and three one-story frame buildings with screen sides – the men’s ward, the women’s ward and a dining hall. Hopkins . . . — Map (db m72193) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Solon Springs — The Brule St. Croix Portage
Upper Lake St. Croix end of trail, discovered 1680. Indians, voyageurs, explorers, missionaries, traders and pioneers travelled this path from the waters of the Great Lakes to those of the Mississippi. To all who pass this way . . . — Map (db m58505) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Superior — 192 — Burlington Northern Ore Docks
These docks, the largest in the world, consist of three structures of concrete and steel. The longest dock is 2244 feet long, 80 feet high, and contains 374 individual pockets which can hold 100,000 long tons of ore, or 7 average trains of 205 cars . . . — Map (db m68702) HM
Wisconsin (Fond du Lac County), Auburn — 539 — Haskell Noyes Memorial Woods
This scientific area preserved in natural condition for future generations is symbolic of the spirit of Haskell Noyes of Milwaukee (1886-1948) - one of Wisconsin's foremost conservationist's. Leader of citizen action for outdoor programs featuring . . . — Map (db m35203) HM
Wisconsin (Fond du Lac County), Auburn — St. Matthias Mission
St. Matthias Mission Built in 1861 Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m73834) HM
Wisconsin (Fond du Lac County), Ripon — First Congregational Church of Ripon
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m55385) HM
Wisconsin (Fond du Lac County), Rosendale — Sisson’s Peony Gardens
In 1920 Wilbur Sisson established the first section of his Peony Gardens at this location. In 1929 he hired Jesse Phillips as his assistant and eventual partner to design and build a gateway arch and windmill for the entrance. These structures were . . . — Map (db m48438) HM
Wisconsin (Grant County), Bagley — Camp Nelson DeweyWyalusing State Park
During the depression era of the 1930’s the federal government initiated a number of work projects. Two of these, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and the Works Project Administration (WPA) were located at this site from 1933 until 1941. . . . — Map (db m69568) HM
Wisconsin (Grant County), Bagley — Curtis Memorial Scientific AreaJohn Thomas Curtis — 1913-1961
Professor of Botany at the University of Wisconsin. Noted ecologist and outstanding authority on the vegetation of Wisconsin. A founder of the Wisconsin State Board for the Preservation of Scientific Areas, and its first chairman, 1952-1955. — Map (db m69569) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Hurley — Flambeau Trail - Little FinlandIron County Heritage Area
Jobs in the iron mines of the Penokee Range! Ample land to homestead! News of the good life on the Penokee Iron Range brought Finnish immigrants here as early as 1887. By 1900, native born Finns were the largest ethnic group seeking a new . . . — Map (db m46684) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Hurley — 113 — Gogebic Iron Range
The Gogebic Iron Range, which may be seen to the south of here, extends 80 miles from Lake Namekagon, Wisconsin to Lake Gogebic (Chippewa for “place of diving”) in Michigan. Prior to the discovery of iron ore the area was relatively . . . — Map (db m45103) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Hurley — 314 — Iron Mining in Wisconsin
Although iron mining in Wisconsin had its beginnings in Sauk, Dodge and Jackson counties in the southern part of the state in the 1850’s, discoveries of vast new deposits shifted the focus to northern Wisconsin in 1880. The major iron mining area . . . — Map (db m30849) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Hurley — Penokee Iron Range Trail – Historic Iron County CourthouseIron County Heritage Area
Ashland County was not willing to have its eastern most township, the Town of Vaughn, “secede” to form a new county in 1887.

The Town incorporated Hurley’s rich iron ore mines. The community’s wealth and population were booming. . . . — Map (db m45526) HM

Wisconsin (Iron County), Hurley — This 5 ½ Foot Diameter Drill Core
This 5 ½ foot diameter drill core came from the Cary Mine shaft from a depth of 2400 feet below the surface. The shaft was drilled during the period 1942-44 from surface to the 31st level and was later enlarged to its full size of 13X21 feet. . . . — Map (db m36838) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Manitowish — Flambeau Trail – ManitowishIron County Heritage Area
Main streets developed at the cross roads of resources, transportation, and people. The town of Manitowish grew up on timber and the railroad.

By the turn of the century, the “inexhaustible” stands of white pine had been cut from . . . — Map (db m45527) HM

Wisconsin (Iron County), Mercer — Flambeau Trail – Continental DivideIron County Heritage Area
You are now standing on the “Continental Divide”, a geological demarcation line which splits Northern Wisconsin.

North of “The Divide”, rivers flow to Lake Superior and finally to the Atlantic Ocean. These waterways . . . — Map (db m46685) HM

Wisconsin (Iron County), Mercer — Flambeau Trail – The Mercer DepotIron County Heritage Area
The arrival of the Milwaukee, Lake Shore and Western Railroad in 1889 was a major factor in the economic development of Mercer’s isolated logging settlement. Timber and other natural resources could now be shipped year ‘round to markets. Much needed . . . — Map (db m45098) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Mercer — Flambeau Trail – Turtle Flambeau Flowage DamIron County Heritage Area
The Turtle Flambeau Flowage was born in 1926, when the Chippewa and Flambeau Improvement Company built a dam on the Flambeau River, downstream from its confluence with the Turtle River improving its usefulness for power-generating and papermaking . . . — Map (db m59475) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Mercer — Flambeau Trail – Turtle PortageIron County Heritage Area
For centuries Native Americans and voyagers using the Flambeau Trail carried their birch bark canoes and cargo across the wide “plain” where you are standing, between Echo Lake (called Big Turtle Lake) and Grand Portage Lake (Little . . . — Map (db m45097) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Mercer — Flambeau Trail – Two Ways to GoIron County Heritage Area
In days of yesteryear, traveling south on the Flambeau Trail, you arrived at Big Turtle Lake (now Echo Lake) and Little Turtle Lake (now called either Grand Portage Lake or Tank Lake) to what is now Mercer. At Echo Lake you had a choice depending on . . . — Map (db m46687) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Mercer — Roddis Line - Roddis Lumber and Veneer CompanyIron County Heritage Area
William Henry Roddis realized that a fortune could be made in the woods. In 1903, he purchased a parcel of land to build a mill in Park Falls. Roddis bought 35,000 acres of timber land in Iron and Ashland counties from Wisconsin Central . . . — Map (db m59477) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Mercer — Roddis Line - Roddis Lumber and Veneer CompanyIron County Heritage Area
In 1925, the Roddis company contracted with Carl Nelson, a jobber, to run the camps. Between 1925 and 1930, he chose the camp sites, bought supplies and delivered timber to the log landings. From 1930 until the company abandoned logging in . . . — Map (db m59478) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Mercer — Roddis Line – Early LoggingIron County Heritage Area
America saw the vast forests of the Great lakes as an endless supply of the timber needed to settle the west. Farmers, factories and mills needed wood for fuel and building materials. Men came to the northern forests to make their fortunes . . . — Map (db m59479) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Mercer — Roddis Line – Lake of the FallsIron County Heritage Area
The felling of Iron County’s great stands of timber began in the late 1870’s. The white pine was the first to be cut. Down the Turtle River and over Lake of the Falls, buoyant pine logs were floated to sawmills further south.

Spring, when . . . — Map (db m46688) HM

Wisconsin (Iron County), Mercer — Roddis Line – Life in CampIron County Heritage Area
The railroad pushed into northern Wisconsin in the 1870s, opening the deep forests for harvest. Now hardwoods such as maple, oak, spruce, cedar, balsam, birch and aspen could be cut. More logs could be shipped by rail than by water so more men . . . — Map (db m59480) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Mercer — Roddis Line – Nelson Camp 1 (1925-1930)Iron County Heritage Area
This camp was Carl Nelson’s headquarters camp. From this camp, he directed the woods operations and sent rail cars of timber south to the main line at Camp 8. While all of the buildings are gone, artifacts found at the site tell a story of what . . . — Map (db m59481) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Mercer — Roddis Line – Nelson Camp 1 (1925-1930)Iron County Heritage Area
Large, heavy cable remains from the pulley system (called a jammer), used to load the logs from the landing into the rail cars. Stove parts, railroad ties, a wash tub and glass bottles suggest a long term camp with railroad connections. . . . — Map (db m59482) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Mercer — Roddis Line – Turtle-Flambeau DamIron County Heritage Area
In 1925, the Chippewa and Flambeau Improvement Company began construction on a dam to create a water reservoir for hydroelectric power, where the Turtle, Manitowish, and Flambeau rivers join. The Roddis company owned land in the area, which . . . — Map (db m59476) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Montreal — Flambeau Trail – Flambeau Trail CrossingIron County Heritage Area
You are standing on the ancient Flambeau Trail, an important route for commerce for Native Americans, voyagers, and explorers travelling between settlements at LaPointe on Madeline Island and Lac du Flambeau 90 miles to the south.

Until . . . — Map (db m45096) HM

Wisconsin (Iron County), Montreal — George W. SullivanTeacher
The son of Irish immigrant parents was born in New York July 5, 1882. After graduating from the U. of New York he ventured to Montreal in 1906 when the town and iron ore mining were in their infancies. He served as a teacher and Principal at the OLD . . . — Map (db m40933) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Montreal — Montreal Trails – The Montreal MineIron County Heritage Area
1884 . . . The rush was on to discover “red gold” on the Penokee Range! Speculators, miners and immigrants flocked to this area seeking their fortune in iron ore. Established as a small open pit mine in 1885 by the Oglebay-Norton Mining . . . — Map (db m45158) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Montreal — Penokee Iron Range Trail – A Company TownIron County Heritage Area
Neat white frame houses, gently curving streets, and gracious landscaping mark the City of Montreal – the only planned mining company town in Wisconsin.

In 1921 the Oglebay-Norton Mining Company designed a community that would provide . . . — Map (db m45408) HM

Wisconsin (Iron County), Montreal — Penokee Iron Range Trail – Gile FallsIron County Heritage Area
Mining Upside Down

The large tailing piles across the river from Gile Falls are waste rock left from its mining at the Montreal Mine #5 Shaft.

The Montreal Mine’s vertical shaft extended to the depth of nearly one mile . . . — Map (db m46689) HM

Wisconsin (Iron County), Montreal — Penokee Iron Range Trail – Montreal LocationIron County Heritage Area
You are standing in the architectural complex that supported iron mining at the Montreal Mine #5 Shaft – the heart of the mining community known as “Montreal Location.”

The huge native field stone building served as the . . . — Map (db m45411) HM

Wisconsin (Iron County), Montreal — 77 — The City of MontrealSite of the World’s Deepest Iron Mine
The City of Montreal, incorporated in 1924, known for a short time as the Village of Hamilton, is a combination of the communities of Montreal and Gile. Gile, on the river, was the center of the area’s timber industries. The largest, the . . . — Map (db m40932) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Pence — Penokee Iron Range Trail - Plummer LocationIron County Heritage Area
Along this trail are the “ruins” of the buildings that made up the Plummer Mine Location. Each structure had a special function.

Steam power, created at the boiler House, turned the Hoisting Engine. In the early 1920’s, electricity . . . — Map (db m45417) HM

Wisconsin (Iron County), Pence — Penokee Iron Range Trail - Plummer MineIron County Heritage Area
Plummer Mine Headframe Interpretive Park Dedicated to the iron miners and their families who helped build the Penokee Iron Range — Map (db m45418) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Pence — Penokee Iron Range Trail - Plummer Mine Geologic Layer CakeIron County Heritage Area
Between 1 to 1 1/2 million years ago sediments of slate and cherty iron carbonates were laid down on top of the granite and greenstone bedrock covering this area. Molten lava flowed over the land, seeping into the great cracks on the surface . . . — Map (db m45414) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Saxon Harbor — Flambeau Trail – Gateway to the Flambeau TrailIron County Heritage Area
The most popular gateway to the Flambeau Trail started here, on the shore of Oronto Bay. Also known as the “Montreal River Trail”, it was the only route inland into the dense virgin forest until the late 1880’s.

The Trail was an . . . — Map (db m45095) HM

Wisconsin (Iron County), Springstead — Pinery Road - The LegendIron County Heritage Area
"An old Indian legend says that Bearskull Lake is sacred. Any white man who had anything to do with the lake or its vicinity will have everlasting ill fortune." In 1904, a tornado ripped through this area, toppling the last great stands . . . — Map (db m59484) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Ixonia — 46 — Highway Marking
In the old days when both automobiles and roads were few in number, it was easy for those who had cars to get far enough away from home to get lost. While there were some “trails” such as the Cannon Ball Trail and the Yellowstone Trail . . . — Map (db m88574) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Johnson Creek — 94th Combat Infantry Division
Northern France Rhineland • Ardennes Central Europe THIS MONUMENT IS A TRIBUTE TO THE MEN OF THE 94TH INFANTRY DIVISION WWII In recognition of the outstanding war record of the 94th. The State of Wisconsin designated this monument to be . . . — Map (db m37217) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Johnson Creek — 313 — In Service to Their Country
Wisconsin contributed significantly to the military activities of the United States since it became a state in 1848. During the Civil War, for instance, Wisconsin made a major contribution to support the Union. About 50% of Wisconsin’s adult male . . . — Map (db m37216) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Lake Mills — 257 — Drumlins
This is glaciated country. Here, as you approach the western edge of Wisconsin’s kettle moraine, you see many land features created by glacial ice some 15,000 years ago. Among the most interesting of these are long, oval hills known as drumlins. . . . — Map (db m37215) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Waterloo — 80 — The Island Church
Built in 1863, St. Wenceslaus Church served families who came chiefly from Bohemia and Germany. The little church, significant in Wisconsin’s architectural heritage, closed in 1891. It still opens for special Masses. — Map (db m37705) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Watertown — 74 — First Kindergarten
The first kindergarten in the United States was founded by Margarethe Meyer Schurz in this building in 1856. Moved to the present site and restored in 1956 by the Watertown Historical Society. — Map (db m35450) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Watertown — 519 — Milwaukee Street Bridge
One of the nation’s most innovative bridge designers of the 20th century, Daniel B. Luten, designed the Milwaukee Street Bridge. Constructed in 1930 by Eau Claire Engineering, the bridge was a rare example of a steel-reinforced, three span, . . . — Map (db m35452) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Watertown — 59 — Octagon House
This 8 sided five story house of solid brick construction was built in the early 1850s by pioneer John Richards. It is the best example in Wisconsin of an unusual architectural design which was in vogue briefly before the Civil War. It was claimed . . . — Map (db m35454) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Watertown — Plank Road Pioneer Barn
This barn was built by an early settler in 1853 was used by regional farmers driving cattle to the Milwaukee market over the Milwaukee-Watertown Plank Road. It was moved from the Plank road area east of the Rock River to this site in 1963 and . . . — Map (db m35451) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Watertown — 409 — Trail Discovery
On July 18th, during the Black Hawk War of 1832, Little Thunder – a Ho-Chunk (Winnebago) Indian guide to the U.S. Militia – discovered Black Hawk’s Band crossed the Rock River in this vicinity. After receiving the news, Gen. James D. . . . — Map (db m35453) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — 473 — Auto Production in Kenosha
Thomas B. Jeffery purchased the 1895 Sterling Bicycle Factory and pioneered Kenosha’s auto industry in 1900. His company was an industry leader, creating the second mass produced auto in 1902. Jeffery was the first auto manufacturer to make all . . . — Map (db m38570) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — Early VesselsWisconsin's Maritime Trails
Native American canoes launched America’s maritime legacy about 12,000 years ago, making them among the world’s oldest watercraft. Ancient dugout canoes are occasionally preserved when environmental conditions are just right. The canoe above . . . — Map (db m57837) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — 118 — First Congregational ChurchOne-hundredth Anniversary — 1874-1974
This historical landmark is dedicated to the worship of God, and to the promotion of Christian knowledge and charity Chris George Builder Kenosha Landmarks Commission Kenosha County Historical Society — Map (db m38117) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — 110 — Gilbert M. Simmons Memorial Library
Dedicated May 30, 1900 This library building a gift of Zalmon G. Simmons to the citizens of Kenosha as a memorial to his son Gilbert M. Simmons (1852-1890) His vision and generosity were appreciated by the pioneer town he believed in and . . . — Map (db m38118) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — Green Bay Road
Pioneer Road Chicago to Green Bay Established by the Federal Government 1832 — Map (db m66623) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — 465 — John McCaffery Burial Site
John McCaffary was hanged in Kenosha on August 21, 1851, for the murder of his wife and buried here in an unmarked grave. Public outrage over his execution resulted in legislation that abolished the death penalty in Wisconsin on July 12, 1853. — Map (db m38121) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — 249 — Kemper Hall
Kemper Hall, boarding school for girls, dates to 1855 when St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church and some dedicated Kenosha citizens signed a charter launching the Kenosha Female Seminary. In 1865, the school moved to this site, the home of U.S. Senator . . . — Map (db m38122) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — 475 — Reuben Deming
Deming was born in Vermont in 1789 and came to the Village of Southport, later renamed Kenosha, in 1836. Deming was a Methodist preacher and a staunch supporter of the anti-slavery movement. For Methodists, slavery was considered the worst of social . . . — Map (db m38119) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — Site of the First Free School
This boulder is placed by the Kenosha Chapter of Daughters of the American Revolution to mark the site of the first free school outside of New England in the Union. It was opened June 18, 1845. The pioneers in this work were: Michael Frank . . . — Map (db m69637) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — St. Matthew’s Church
Erected in 1873 Oldest original church building in Kenosha — Map (db m56831) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — The First Church in Kenosha
Was built ten yards west of this site by the Society of Methodists in 1840 — Map (db m56830) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Paris — 420 — Schaefer Mammoth Site
Over 12,000 years ago, Native Americans slaughtered a Northern Woolly Mammoth in a small lake near this site. Between 1992-93, the Kenosha Public Museum excavated the site and concluded that the woolly mammoth stood at 11 feet and weighed 14,000 . . . — Map (db m38569) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Pleasant Prairie — 305 — Cordelia A.P. Harvey
Wisconsin women rallied to support the Union during the Civil War. They became nurses, hospital matrons, sanitary agents, and ministers. Cordelia A. Perrine Harvey attained national prominence for her role in promoting convalescent aid for sick and . . . — Map (db m36392) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Pleasant Prairie — 378 — Green Bay Ethnic Trail
Green Bay Road was the main route of settlement and communication in 19th century eastern Wisconsin. The road followed an ancient Indian trail network and was surveyed for use as a military road between Fort Dearborn (Chicago) and Fort Howard (Green . . . — Map (db m66625) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Pleasant Prairie — 219 — The Name “Wisconsin”
In 1673, thirty-nine years after Jean Nicolet visited the Green Bay area, Father Jacques Marquette and Louis Jolliet set out from New France to explore the Mississippi River. They traveled from the Straits of Mackinac between lakes Huron and . . . — Map (db m36671) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Pleasant Prairie — 71 — Thirty-second Division Memorial Highway
The 32nd Division was organized in 1917. Originally it was made up of National Guardsmen from Wisconsin and Michigan. World War I: Fought in Alsace, Aisne-Marne, Olse-Aisne and Meuse-Argonne Offensives. Vanquished 23 German Divisions. Served in . . . — Map (db m36339) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Salem — 503 — Brass Ball Corners
In the 1800’s, before assigning names to roads was a common practice, intersections were often given names to identify communities and places of interest.

The trail through Brass Ball Corners started at Lake Michigan and went west through Lake . . . — Map (db m38571) HM

Wisconsin (Kewaunee County), Algoma — Schooner Daniel LyonsHistoric Shipwreck — Wisconsin’s Maritime Trails
Type: Wooden Schooner, three masted Built: 1873, George Goble, Oswego, N.Y. Sank: October 18, 1878 Length: 138’ Beam: 26’ Cargo: Wheat Depth of Wreckage: 110’ Listed on the National Register of Historic Places About eight miles . . . — Map (db m56036) HM
Wisconsin (La Crosse County), La Crosse — Sidewheel Riverboat War EagleHistoric Shipwreck — Wisconsin’s Maritime Trails
Type: Wooden sidewheel riverboat Built: 1854, Fulton, Ohio Sank: May 14, 1870 Length: 219’ Beam: 29’ Cargoes: Mail, package freight, passengers, troops Propulsion: Paddlewheel Depth of Wreckage: 10’ Determined Eligible for National . . . — Map (db m83772) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Argyle — Partridge Hall Star Theatre
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. Built 1878 — Map (db m68808) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Belmont — 355 — 1998 Wisconsin Assembly
On January 14, 1998, the Wisconsin Assembly met at the First Capitol in Belmont in honor of the Sesquicentennial of Statehood. The Territorial Legislature held its first session here in 1836, and convened for three more sessions in what is now . . . — Map (db m55046) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Benton — 150 — Father Samuel Mazzuchelli
In 1835 Father Samuel Mazzuchelli, Dominican missionary, came to the lead region from the Green Bay-Mackinac frontier. One year later he addressed the opening session of the territorial legislature. Soon he was establishing schools and preparing . . . — Map (db m55045) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Shullsburg — 37 — Badger Mine – Badger Lot Diggings
This site is in the heart of the pioneer lead mining region, origin of Wisconsin’s “Badger” nickname. The Winnebago Indian Peace Treaty signed, pioneer miners flooded this area in the 1827 “Lead Rush”. These hardy pioneers . . . — Map (db m55048) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Shullsburg — Historical Badger Park
Badger Park, like our Badger State, took its name from this area where some of the miners, like badgers, “dug-in” for the winter, while others, called “suckers” moved on south. It includes 8½ acres of what was considered . . . — Map (db m55052) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Shullsburg — Historical Badger Park
Badger Park, like our Badger State, took its name from this area where some of the miners, like badgers, “dug-in” for the winter, while others, called “suckers” moved on south. It includes 8½ acres of what was considered . . . — Map (db m55053) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Shullsburg — The Old Chicago Stageroad
This stone marks the old Chicago stageroad, and the tavern built by Fortunatus Berry in 1829. — Map (db m84884) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Shullsburg — United Methodist Church
At Gratiot's Grove two-and-a-half miles southeast from here the first Methodist sermon in Wisconsin was delivered by the Rev. John Dew August 21, 1828 — Map (db m55054) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Shullsburg — 24 — Wisconsin Lead Region
Grant, Iowa and Lafayette counties were once the center of a lead-mining boom. Indians had sold lead to early traders, but there were few white miners here in 1820. Mining brought in a large part of the 37,000 population credited to the three . . . — Map (db m55044) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), South Wayne — 57 — East Wiota Lutheran Church
Norwegian immigrants formed this congregation in 1844 and began constructing their church in 1847. This is the oldest Norwegian Lutheran church still in use in America. — Map (db m55050) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Town of Wiota — 547 — Battle of Pecatonica
Blackhawk Memorial Park is on the site of the Battle of Pecatonica, the first of three military engagements fought in present-day Wisconsin during the American-Indian conflict of 1832, known as the Black Hawk War. On June 16, 1832, following attacks . . . — Map (db m68810) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Town of Wiota — The Battle of the Pecatonica
At this place on June 16, 1832 between Wisconsin pioneers, under Colonel Henry Dodge, and a band of Black Hawk’s Sacs was fought the Battle of the Pecatonica. “The annals of Indian warfare offer no parallel to this battle.” Of the . . . — Map (db m68809) HM

675 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 475
Paid Advertisement