Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

2900 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 2700
 
Crofton Coverley House and Marker, along Front Street image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, February 11, 2011
Crofton Coverley House and Marker, along Front Street
Netherlands Antilles, Sint Maarten, Philipsburg — Dr Albert Claudius ("Claude") WatheyJuly 24, 1926 - January 8, 1999
Albert Claudius Wathey, simply "Claude" to everyone, was no doubt the most dominant political figure on the island in the last century. The legendary leader was in power for almost 40 years, during which time St. Maarten was transformed from a . . . — Map (db m40384) HM
Netherlands Antilles, Sint Maarten, Philipsburg — Frontstreet MerchantsHome and Business — Historic Sint Maarten Remembered
The deep roof structures combined with a wood shingle exterior on these buildings typify many of the beautiful and historic homes found in the quaint town of Philipsburg at the turn of the century. Buildings such as these doubled as homes and stores . . . — Map (db m40498) HM
Netherlands Antilles, Sint Maarten, Philipsburg — Historic Sint Maarten Remembered"Peg Leg Pete"
Pieter Stuyvesant was the last Governor of the Dutch colony of New Netherland (now New York), from 1646 until its surrender to the English in 1664. He was born in the Dutch province of Friesland in 1611 or 1612. After studying languages and . . . — Map (db m40330) HM
Netherlands Antilles, Sint Maarten, Philipsburg — John Philip Frederick Craanea.k.a. Boechi
This building is dedicated to John P.F. Craane, affectionately known as "Boechi." Born November 24,1913. Boechi spent most of his life working on or around boats. His love for boats was greatly influenced by his father, who was a well-known boat . . . — Map (db m40591) HM
Netherlands Antilles, Sint Maarten, Philipsburg — St. Maarten Gingerbread Market Stalls — Historic Sint Maarten Remembered
The gingerbread surroundings for the Harbor Point Village market stalls are a typical feature of the St. Maarten/ St. Martin homes of the past. Lovingly crafted by hand, often with improvised tools, gingerbread designs took on folk art appeal on . . . — Map (db m40518) HM
Netherlands Antilles, Sint Maarten, Philipsburg — The Old Police Station — Historic Sint Maarten Remembered
Until it was demolished in 1937, this warehouse building, bearing a remarkable resemblance to a modern-day army barracks, was a home to the Island police force. Police officers stationed on St. Maarten were trained and recruited on the sister island . . . — Map (db m40644) HM
Netherlands Antilles, Sint Maarten, Philipsburg — Vance Theophilus Jamesa.k.a. Captain David
Vance Theophilus James, known as "Captain David," was born June 20, 1918 in the fishing village of Dieppe Bay, St. Ketts. After having worked as a cane cutter and fisherman, he first started sailing on the Lady Kate, and later on the inter island . . . — Map (db m40372) HM
Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — 20 — Crofton Coverley House
Mr. William Burton Astwood built this house in the 1870, yet he never lived in it himself. Currently it is occupied by his grandson, Mr.XXXX Crofton, who is the oldest citizen at the age of 91. Mr. Crofton has lived there all his married life. The . . . — Map (db m40296) HM
Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — 21 — Free Mason's Lodge
This Lodge was set up in 1855 by the first president of the Turks & Caicos Islands, Mr. Frederick Forth, and was called the 'Turks Islands Forth Lodge.' Mr. Forth, himself, was a member and local legend has it that President Forth may have . . . — Map (db m40274) HM
Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — Grand Turk Historic Lighthouse
During the colonial days, hundreds of shipwrecks occured off Grand Turk due to the shallow reef off its northern coast. Because shipwrecks were so common, vessels began refusing to call for salt cargoes, the mainstay of the Grand Turk economy. Both . . . — Map (db m40367) HM
Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — Grand Turk Historic Lighthouse
During the Lighthouse's first forty years of use, wrecks continued along the northern coast. Ship captains complained that the light was too dim or not lit at all. Some believe that the dimming of the light was done intentionally to cause ship . . . — Map (db m40454) HM
Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — Grand Turk: The Original Columbus Landfall ?
The exact location of Christopher Columbus' first landfall in the New World in 1492 has been debated for centuries. Columbus' original journal of his first voyage to the New World is lost, and we will likely never know for sure. Recent theories . . . — Map (db m40544) HM
Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — 19 — Grant Building
Also owned by the Grant family, this building that dates back to the 1890s was probably acquired at the same time as the Iron Building. This building was a meeting place for the various workmen and merchants of the town where they used to drink and . . . — Map (db m40297) HM
Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — Horatio Nelson Lookout Point
Lookout Point is named in honor of British Admiral Horatio Nelson who fought for Grand Turk's liberation from French occupants in March 1783. The French occupied Grand Turk for a short time and famed Horatio Nelson led a daring but failed attack to . . . — Map (db m40663) HM
Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — Lighthouse Keeper's Residence & Bermuda Kitchen — Grand Turk
The Grand Turk Lighthouse had two keepers, the Principal and the Assistant. It is believed that before 1890 the keepers may have lived on location at the site of the present-day Pavilion. Meals were prepared in the seperate Bermuda Kitchen, typical . . . — Map (db m40793) HM
Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — 23 — Miramar
This House, also owned by the Grant family, was never lived in as a family home. It always was rented out primarily to the managers and employees of Cable and Wireless prior to the building of the Cable & Wireless houses on the site of Mr. B.C. . . . — Map (db m40288) HM
Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — The History of the West( Grand Turk )
The western side of Grand Turk is the leeward side of the island. This is the side protected from high winds and storms. Because of this, it was the primary anchorage for the sailing vessels that came and went from Grand Turk for hundreds of years. . . . — Map (db m40351) HM
Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — The Northeast Reef — (Grand Turk)
The Northeast Reef is a shallow reef lying to the northeast of Grand Turk and running 2.8 miles into the sea. The Reef lies in the Turks Island Passage, which has been located along trade routes from Jamaica, Cuba and Hispaniola back to Europe since . . . — Map (db m40602) HM
Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — 17 — Timco(Turks Islands Importers Ltd.)
Built in the 1860s, this building started life as a salt warehouse belonging to the Stubbs family who were the foremost plantation owners in the Caicos Islands and one of the foremost salt families of South Caicos and Grand Turk. On Grand Turk they . . . — Map (db m40293) HM
Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — Trouvadore Shipwreck
In 1841 a Brigantine ship sailing under Spanish papers left Africa with an illegal cargo of 193 Africans. The ship was the Trouvadore and it was sailing for Cuba, where the Africans were to be enslaved and put to work on sugar plantations. . . . — Map (db m40764) HM
Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — U.S. Naval Facility— Grand Turk —
In 1954 the U.S. Navy established a hydrographic research station on this northern promontory of Grand Turk, overlooking the strategic passage from the Atlantic Ocean. Quonset huts were erected to accommodate eleven officers and one-hundred enlisted . . . — Map (db m40833) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Fort Morgan — Noble Leslie DeVotie
(Obverse): First Alabama soldier to lose life in Civil War. DeVotie graduated in 1856 from University of Alabama; Presbyterian Theological Seminary at Princeton in 1859. In 1856 at the University of Alabama, he was chief founder of Sigma . . . — Map (db m4219) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Alachua — F-206 — City of Alachua
Upon completion to Gainesville of the Savannah, Florida and Western Railway in May 1884, citizens from the former county seat at Newnansville were among those who moved to the present site of Alachua which was near the railroad. The city is located . . . — Map (db m65458) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Alachua — Newnansville Methodist Church Site
On this site the Newnansville Methodist Church was founded in 1822 Presented by Alachua Methodist Church 1972 — Map (db m56180) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Alachua — F-265 — Newnansville Town Site
At the end of 1824, Alachua County was organized as a political unit of the new Territory of Florida. The Seminole inhabitants of the Alachua region had recently been ordered to a reservation, and land was available there for white settlers. . . . — Map (db m65513) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Archer — F-205 — Archer
(Front text) When Europeans first arrived in this area in the 16th century, the inhabitants were Timucuan Indians. In 1774, traveling botanist William Bartram visited Seminole Indians nearby. In the 1850's a town called Deer Hammock was . . . — Map (db m69979) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Archer — Archer Veterans
In Memory of the Men and Woman From the Archer Community who have given their lives in the service of our country. Dedicated to all Veterans who served in the United States Armed Forces with Devotion, Loyalty, Honor and their . . . — Map (db m70119) WM
Florida (Alachua County), Archer — F-420 — Thomas Gilbert Pearson1873-1943
Thomas Gilbert Pearson was an ornithologist, college professor, and world leader of the bird preservation movement. Pearson grew up in Archer, where he collected bird skins and eggs and taught himself ornithology to pay for his schooling at Guilford . . . — Map (db m70637) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Earleton — F-625 — Earleton, Florida
(Front text) Earleton is named for General Elias B. Earle (1821-1893) who received government land grants in Florida for his service in the U.S./Mexican War (1846-48). Born into a prominent South Carolina family, Gen. Earle fought in the . . . — Map (db m41263) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Evinston — F-317 — Evinston Community Store and Post Office / History of Evinston, Florida
Evinston Community Store and Post Office The Evinston community store, originally a warehouse, was built of heart pine in 1884 by W.P. Shettleworth. it was bought by Joseph Wolfenden, who first operated it as a store. The post office, . . . — Map (db m54240) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-191 — Alachula County Courthouse
The Alachua County Commission, by authority of the Florida Legislature, selected this site for a courthouse in 1854, moving the county seat from Newnansville. The first courthouse was a frame building completed in 1856. It was demolished on the . . . — Map (db m54997) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-163 — City of Gainesville
Designated the County Seat in 1854, and incorporated as a City in 1869, Gainesville takes its name from General Edmund Gaines, captor of Aaron Burr and commander of U.S. Army troops in Florida during the Second Seminole War. The town was the fourth . . . — Map (db m58133) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Confederate Soldier Memorial(Gainesville Florida)
(North face) In Memory Of The Confederate Dead 1861 1865 (East face) "They Fell For Us and For Them Should Fall The Tears Of A Nation's Grief." (West face) They Counted The Cost And In Defence . . . — Map (db m54998) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-166 — East Florida Seminary
Founded as the Gainesville Academy before the Civil War and later renamed, the East Florida Seminary served Gainesville's need for higher education until the University of Florida was created by the Florida Legislature in 1905. The Seminary school . . . — Map (db m58007) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-164 — First Gainesville Skirmish / Battle of Gainesville
First Gainesville Skirmish The first Civil War gunfire in Gainesville's streets came on February 15, 1864, when a raiding party of 50 men from the 40th Massachusetts Cavalry entered the City to attempt the capture of two trains. The raid was . . . — Map (db m57122) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-201 — Fort Clarke
Near this site was located Fort Clarke, originally a U.S. Army post during the Seminole War, and afterwards a settlement. The name is preserved in nearby Fort Clarke Church. At this site crossed the early settlement and military road connecting the . . . — Map (db m65191) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-473 — Gainesville's Railroads / Past Railroads of Gainesville
Gainesville's Railroads The coming of the Florida Railroad opened up the interior of Florida for both settlement and trading and helped establish Gainesville. On February 1, 1859 the Florida Railroad entered town and connected Fernandina . . . — Map (db m55038) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-548 — Historic Haile Homested At Kanapaha Plantation
One of the oldest houses in Alachua County, the Historic Haile Homestead was the home of Thomas Evans Haile, his wife Esther Serena Chesnut Haile and 14 of their children. The Hailes came here from Camden, South Carolina in 1854 to establish a . . . — Map (db m70202) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-321 — Josiah T. Walls
Born in 1842 to slave parents in Winchester, Va., little is known of Josiah T. Walls' early life. After a short term of Confederate service, he enlisted in the Third Regiment, U.S. Colored Troops in 1863. Transferred to Picolata on the St. Johns . . . — Map (db m55400) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-585 — Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church
Mount Pleasant Methodist Episcopal Church was founded on July 16, 1867, with the Reverend Isaac Davis serving as the first pastor. The Board of Trustees of the oldest black congregation in Gainesville purchased the lot on which the present church . . . — Map (db m55606) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-577 — Mt. Pleasant Cemetery
The Mt. Pleasant Cemetery was established c. 1883 by the Mt. Pleasant Methodist Episcopal Church as a final resting place for its members and other African Americans in the city of Gainesville. Founded in 1867, the church purchased the 5.38-acre . . . — Map (db m55915) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-492 — Roper Park / Old City Park
Roper Park is the original site of the parade grounds and barracks for the East Florida Seminary, a non-sectarian educational institution and a forerunner of the University of Florida, which was located in Gainsville in part due to the . . . — Map (db m55994) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-165 — Spanish Cattle Ranching
Present-day Gainesville was the center of a large Spanish cattle ranching industry, founded on the labor of native Timuqua Indians, during the 1600s. LaChua, largest of the ranches, was a Spanish corruption of an Indian word, and in turn was . . . — Map (db m72916) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-302 — The Bailey House
This is one of the oldest houses in the city of Gainesville. It was constructed about 1850 by Major James B. Bailey, a prominent citizen of Alachua County. Bailey was a leading proponent of moving the county seat away from Newnansville to a new . . . — Map (db m55424) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-360 — University of Florida Historic Campus
The University of Florida Campus Historic District and two individual campus buildings were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1989 and 1990 in recognition of their architectural and cultural significance and the coherence of the . . . — Map (db m54828) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Hawthorne — F- 212 — Hawthorne
(Front text) In 1774, noted botanist William Bartram travelled across what is now the southeastern corner of Alachua County following an old Indian and trading trail. In Florida's territorial period, English-speaking settlers used the same . . . — Map (db m41100) HM
Florida (Alachua County), High Springs — F-217 — High Springs, Florida
The northwest region of Alachua County was probably first settled on a permanent basis by English speaking people during the late 1830's. One of the earliest settlements `in the vicinity was at Crockett Springs, located about three miles . . . — Map (db m64251) HM
Florida (Alachua County), High Springs — F-359 — Railroading In High Springs
This old passenger depot, built c. 1910, is all that remains of the vast railroad complex located southwest of downtown that made High Springs a bustling railroad center for nearly 50 years. In 1895 the Plant Railroad System chose the town as the . . . — Map (db m54911) HM
Florida (Alachua County), LaCrosse — F-287 — LaCrosse, Florida
The LaCrosse area was settled before the Civil War. Cotton was the chief crop. John Eli Futch was a cotton buyer who built a warehouse for cotton, a store to serve the growers, and his home near the store. This store became the first post office and . . . — Map (db m93840) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Micanopy — F-706 — Micanopy
Founded after Spain relinquished Florida to the United States in 1821. Micanopy became the first distinct American town founded in the new US territory. Originally an Indian trading post, Micanopy was built under the auspices of the Florida . . . — Map (db m54271) HM
Florida (Alachua County), near Alachua — F-597 — Bland Community and Ogden School / Odgen School
Bland Community and Ogden School Settled in the 1840s by cotton planters from Georgia and South Carolina, Bland became a diverse agrarian area where farmers and sharecroppers raised cattle and grew cotton and a variety of fruits and . . . — Map (db m64715) HM
Florida (Alachua County), near Alachua — F-325 — Santa Fe de Toloca
A Spanish Mission was established near here within sight of the Santa Fe River about A.D. 1606 by Franciscan missionaries. The river took its name from the mission, as did the modern town of Santa Fe. At one time, Santa Fe de Toloca was said to be . . . — Map (db m64880) HM
Florida (Alachua County), near Fairbanks — F- 516 — Turpentine Industry Community and Family
(Front Text) The naval stores industry was important to maritime power worldwide. Pine tar and pitch were used to seal wooden ships and protect sails and rigging. When settlers came to America - in Florida (1565), in Virginia (1607) and in . . . — Map (db m42012) HM
Florida (Alachua County), near Rochelle — F-314 — Madison Starke Perry1814- 1865 Planter, Legislator, Governor, Soldier
(Front Text) Madison Starke Perry, born in Lancaster County, S.C., moved to Alachua County, Florida and became a prosperous planter. His plantation was located about six miles east of Gainesville in the area of present-day Rochelle. Perry . . . — Map (db m55537) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Newberry — F-363 — City of Newberry Historic District
The discovery of hard rock phosphate in Alachua County in 1889 sparked the appearance of boom towns wherever large deposits of the mineral were found. Incorporated in 1894, Newberry thrived until 1914 when the onset of World War I forced the mines . . . — Map (db m65216) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Newberry — F-210 — Newberry, Florida
   Only after about 1870 did phosphates become an important world industry. In Alachua County, phosphates were discovered late in the 1870's, but as in other regions of Florida, the major developments in phosphate mining and processing began about . . . — Map (db m64506) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Rochelle — F- 353 — Rochelle Vicinity
(Front text) Colonel Daniel Newnan led a troop of the Georgia militia on a raid into the area in September 1812 in an attempt to annex Florida to the United States in the War of 1812. The raiders engaged a force of Seminole Indians under . . . — Map (db m54642) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Waldo — F-127 — Dickison and His Men / Jefferson Davis' Baggage
Dickison and His Men John Jackson Dickison (1816-1902), Florida's famous Civil War guerrilla leader, bivouacked at Camp Baker, south of here, during the closing weeks of the conflict. Dickison and his men became legendary figures. As Company . . . — Map (db m40315) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Waldo — For All Who Served( Waldo, Florida)
(Left ) Police Officer Waldo When I start my tour of duty God, Wherever crime may be, As I walk the darkened Streets alone, let me be close to thee. Please give me understanding with both the young and old Let me listen . . . — Map (db m41877) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Waldo — F-214 — Waldo
(Front text) The first permanent English-speaking settlers came to the northeast portion of Alachua County in the 1820's. In 1837, during the Second Seminole War, an army post, Fort Harlee, was established on the Santa Fe River about three . . . — Map (db m41072) HM
Florida (Baker County), Olustee — A Legacy Remembered
(Left side text) During the Great Depression, President Roosevelt approved a plan to recruit thousands of unemployed young men into a "Civilian Conservation Corps" (CCC) From 1933-1942 the CCC employed over 3 million Americans. They built and . . . — Map (db m55674) HM
Florida (Baker County), Olustee — Battle of Ocean Pond (or The Battle of Olustee)
Here was fought on February 20, 1864 the Battle of Ocean Pond under the immediate command of General Alfred Holt Colquitt "Hero of Olustee" This decisive engagement prevented a Sherman-like invasion of Georgia from the south. . . . — Map (db m54361) HM
Florida (Baker County), Olustee — Brig. Gen. Joseph Finegan
Placed by The United Daughters of the Confederacy Florida Division In Memory of Brig. Gen. Joseph Finegan Commander of the District of Middle and East Florida "So well did he perform his part that a . . . — Map (db m54978) HM
Florida (Baker County), Olustee — Olustee Battlefield
(Right Panel) Welcome to the Olustee Battlefield Battlefield Map included with Park rules and regulations (Center Panel) How Many Would Die ? The morning of February 20, 1864, dawned clear and cool. . . . — Map (db m54917) HM
Florida (Baker County), Olustee — The Yankees are Coming
"At 8 a'clock in the morning on the 20th instant we were informed that the Yankees were advancing. A part of the brigade was immediately ordered to some rifle pits hastily constructed near at hand, the remainder forming line of battle . . . — Map (db m54829) HM
Florida (Baker County), Sanderson — F-18 — Camp at Sanderson
This site was used by both Union and Confederate soldiers as a camp during the campaign of 1864. The camp was used as a Confederate supply depot but it was abandoned on February 9, 1864. From the 9th to the 13th, it was held by Federals and used as . . . — Map (db m54604) HM
Georgia (Bacon County), Alma — 003-1 — Bacon County
This County, created by Act of the Legislature July 27, 1914, is named for Augustus O. Bacon, four times U.S. Senator, who died in office Feb. 15, 1914. An expert on Mexican affairs, his death was a great loss coming at a time of critical relations . . . — Map (db m24292) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — Carl Vinson • Mary Green VinsonNov.18, 1883 - June 1, 1981     Sept. 19, 1887 - Nov. 16, 1950
Carl Vinson, native son, farmer, lawyer, statesman, served in the United States Congress for 50 years; Chairman of the Naval Affairs Committee; Chairman of the Armed Services Committee; an advocate for Military Preparedness; He was credited with . . . — Map (db m42626) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — Memory Hill Cemetery
As part of the Historic District of Milledgeville has been placed on the National Register Of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m42312) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — The Methodist Church(Milledgeville, Georgia)
This marks the original site of the Methodist Church erected about the year 1805. Bishop Asbury and Bishop McKendree in 1815 held here a conference which James O. Andrew attended. Bishop Capers, Dr. Lovick Pierce, and many other . . . — Map (db m42773) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — The Unknown Soldiers of Brown Hospital
These Confederate soldiers, all serving in the Georgia Militia, died at Brown Hospital in Milledgeville and were buried at this location. Their names soon became lost, and they were considered Unknown Soldiers until 2003 when their identities were . . . — Map (db m91851) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Scottsboro — 005-15 — Route of Gen. Kilpatrick’s Cavalry
Gen. Sherman’s Cavalry Corps, commanded by Gen. Judson Kilpatrick, consisted of 5,000 men, 8,000 animals, and 300 wagons. It rode from Gordon to Milledgeville on Nov. 24 to join the left wing of the Union Army. On the 25th, Gen. Kilpatrick moved . . . — Map (db m42314) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 75mm. Howitzer
Captured with its gun crew 16th August 1944 by the 8th Naval Beach Battallion and the 540th Army Engineers at St. Raphael on the French Riveria. This howitzer, set in a strong casemated position at the left flank of one of the assault beaches, . . . — Map (db m29639) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — El Neptuno
Spanish 12-pounder bronze smooth bore gun named El Neptuno Captured by the United States Navy from the Mexicans in California in 1847 — Map (db m29642) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Japanese Torpedo
This type 93 Torpedo is the largest enemy weapon of its kind encountered in World War II. It is 29½ feet long, 24 inches in diameter and carries over 1,000 lbs. of explosive in the war head. At the low speed setting of 40 knots a maximum . . . — Map (db m29636) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — San Cayetano
Spanish 18-pounder bronze smooth bore gun named San Cayetano Captured by the United States Navy from the Mexicans in California in 1847 — Map (db m29646) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Spanish 18-Pounder
Spanish 18-pounder bronze smooth bore gun cast in Lima, Peru, 1769 Captured by the United States Navy from the Mexicans in California in 1847 — Map (db m29647) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — St. Damian
Spanish 12-pounder bronze smooth bore gun named St. Damian Captured by the United States Navy from the Mexicans in California in 1847 — Map (db m29641) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — St. Joseph
Spanish 12-pounder bronze smooth bore gun named St. Joseph Captured by the United States Navy from the Mexicans in California in 1847 — Map (db m29645) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Natchez
First settled by French, 1716-29. Lasting growth came with Britain, 1763-1779, and Spain, 1779-98. Cotton and trade made it commercial and cultural capital of Old South. — Map (db m4479) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Nelsonville — O-257 — Hocking Valley Railway
The arrival of the Columbus and Hocking Valley Railroad in 1869 led to the decline of the Hocking Canal and assured Nelsonville's prominence as a major shipping point of coal and industrial products. The portion of the railway from Logan in . . . — Map (db m43240) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Barlow — Gettysburg Campaign
The Union Army 11th Corps, crossing from the Emmitsburg Road, July 1, 1863, turned north here toward Gettysburg. The Union 2nd Corps camped here on the same night. — Map (db m43640) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Signal Corps U.S.A.
Memorial Tablet to the Signal Corps U.S.A. which through valiant and heroic service at Little Round Top July 2-4, 1863 and on many historic battle fields throughout the war of 1861-1865 contributed so greatly to the success of the . . . — Map (db m6753) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Texas
Texas remembers the valor and devotion of her sons who served at Gettysburg July 2-3, 1863 From near this spot the Texas Brigade at about 1:30 P.M. on July 2 crossed Emmitsburg Road and advanced with Hood's Division across Plum Run toward Little . . . — Map (db m5250) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Hampton — Gettysburg Campaign
Part of General Jubal Early's Confederate Division, marching by Mummasburg and Hunterstown, passed here June 27, 1863, on the way to York. Returning June 30, they passed a little to the north, toward Heidlersburg. — Map (db m43956) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), New Oxford — Conewago Chapel
Four miles south of New Oxford. Original Jesuit chapel built 1787 still in use and one of oldest in the United States. The mission was founded 1730. First Sacred Heart church in Pennsylvania. — Map (db m44548) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), New Oxford — Gettysburg Campaign
Part of Gen. Early's Confederate army, under Gen. J.B. Gordon, passed here June 27, 1863, to York. Early's main force followed a parallel route through Hampton and East Berlin. Both entered York the following day. — Map (db m43996) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 1953 Gas Explosion
On January 27, 1953, an explosion caused by a natural gas leak killed ten people and destroyed five buildings on the northern half of this block. The five buildings destroyed were Platt's Drug Store, the Jones Electric Company (the site . . . — Map (db m28716) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-23 — Aiken
Aiken, chartered in 1835 and the county seat of Aiken County since its creation in 1871, was an early stop on the railroad line from Charleston to Hamburg. It was named for William Aiken (1779–1831), the first president of the S.C. Canal and . . . — Map (db m9640) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2–8 — Aiken County
Aiken County, created in 1871 from parts of Barnwell, Edgefield, Lexington, and Orangeburg counties, was named for William Aiken, first president of the South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company. Older industries in the county today are textiles, . . . — Map (db m9707) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Aiken County 125th Anniversary
In Commemoration Of The Founding Of Aiken County on March 10, 1871 Celebrating 125 years County Commissioners: Sen. C.D. Hayne, Rep. Gloster Holland, Rep. William B. Jones, Rep. Sam J. Lee, William Peel, Rep. Prince Rivers, . . . — Map (db m34610) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Aiken County Confederate Monument
(South Face) They gave their all in defense of Home, Honor, Liberty and the Independence of their native land They fought the patriots fight They kept the faith of their fathers Forever honored And forever mourned . . . — Map (db m17047) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Aiken County Courthouse Bell
Forged in 1882 at Troy, N.Y., the bell hung in the courthouse 1882-1981. In 1931, lightning cracked the bell, and caused a fire that destroyed the cupola. — Map (db m9850) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-32 — Aiken County Farmers' Market
The Aiken County Farmers’ Market, founded in 1951, was originally an open air market sponsored by the Edisto Grange. This building, which opened on May 21, 1954, was designed by Woodrow Jackson and built by the Aiken County chain gang. Farmers . . . — Map (db m28630) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Aiken County Museum
Life in Aiken The coming of the railroad was a major factor in the birth of Aiken. The all-important cotton crop and Graniteville fabrics could get to market. Add to life in Aiken a lady lonesome for her wealthy friends up North and you . . . — Map (db m63263) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-29 — Aiken First Baptist Church
This church, founded in 1805, predates the city of Aiken and was first called Levels Baptist Church. Its first location was a mile south of present-day Aiken. In 1836 the congregation joined with the members of the Wise Creek congregation to . . . — Map (db m10060) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-47 — Aiken Hospital / Aiken County Hospital
Aiken Hospital The first public hospital in Aiken, at the corner of Richland Ave. and Vaucluse Rd., was built in 1917 for the Aiken Hospital and Relief Society, with donations from members of the “Aiken Winter Colony.” The City of . . . — Map (db m54518) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2–16 — Aiken Institute
The Aiken Institute, which gave this area the name of “Institute Hill,” was chartered in 1888. The main building, designed by I.F. Goodrich in 1891, includes a wing added in 1913. All grades attended the Institute until 1937, when a . . . — Map (db m9942) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Battle of Aiken
Near this spot on February 11, 1865 was fought one of the final Confederate victories of the War Between The States. Federal Cavalry commanded by Major General Hugh Judson Kirkpatrick were attacked by Confederate Cavalry commanded by . . . — Map (db m10061) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Coker Spring
The source of water for early settlers. A stagecoach stop on route from Abbeville to Charleston, S.C. Deeded to City of Aiken 1844 by Wm. Peronneau Finley. Restored by many friends in 1972. (Upper Medallion) The National . . . — Map (db m56810) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-46 — Coker Spring
The freshwater spring 1/2 mi. SE was used by prehistoric Indians. It was deeded to the town of Aiken in 1844 by William Perroneau Finley (1803-1876) and furnished Aiken´s drinking water throughout the 19th century. A regular stop on the . . . — Map (db m63615) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Defense of Aiken
In Memory of the Confederate soldiers who lost their lives in defense of Aiken, Feb. 11, 1865 Erected by the Memorial Association 1911 — Map (db m88573) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-40 — First Presbyterian Church of Aiken
This church, founded in 1858 with 14 charter members and W. Peronneau Finley and John D. Legare as elders, first met in the Aiken Town Hall on Laurens St. Its first permanent sanctuary, a frame building designed by Charleston architect Edward . . . — Map (db m29274) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-42 — Highland Park Hotel
The Highland Park Hotel, Aiken’s first grand tourist hotel, stood atop this plateau. It was built in 1869-70 and opened in 1870. A four-story Second Empire wing built in 1874 doubled its capacity to 350 guests. Open from November to June, it . . . — Map (db m29974) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-31 — Hitchcock Woods
Hitchcock Woods, one of the largest urban forests in the United States, is an area consolidated between 1891 and 1898 by Celestine Eustis (d. 1921), Thomas Hitchcock (1860-1941), and William Whitney (1841-1904). Described as "the greatest equine . . . — Map (db m9776) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Hofmann1876 - 1957
Josef Casimir Hofmann, internationally known Polish pianist, resided with his wife, Aikenite Marie Eustis Hofmann, in a three~story house located several hundred feet west of here. Born near Cracow, Poland, he was recognized as a gifted . . . — Map (db m10184) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-25 — Millbrook Baptist Church
This church, formally organized in 1884, had its origins in a Sunday school class organized in 1874. With 16 charter members and Rev. Arthur Buist as its first minister, Millbrook built its first sanctuary here in 1886. The frame church, built by . . . — Map (db m38281) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-26 — Original Survey of Aiken
The town of Aiken, on land donated by Mr. Beverly M. Rodgers to the S.C. Rail Road in 1834, was laid out around a core of 27 city blocks bounded by Edgefield and Park Aves. and Newberry and Williamsburg Sts. This area was surveyed by civil . . . — Map (db m29613) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-24 — Pickens - Salley House
(Front text) This plantation house, first known as “Edgewood,” is an excellent example of Federal-era architecture. Originally near Edgefield, it was built in 1828 for Francis W. Pickens (1807-1869), state representative and . . . — Map (db m43154) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Robert M. Bell Parkway
Named in 1985 by action of the Aiken County Legislative Delegation and Highway Commission in recognition of an outstanding citizen and his many contributions to the life and well being of his county, district. and state 2nd . . . — Map (db m44725) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-19 — Schofield School
This school was founded by the Freedmen's Bureau shortly after the Civil War to educate freedmen, women, and children. In 1868 Martha Schofield, a Quaker from Pennsylvania, came to Aiken and began her long career as superintendent. The school soon . . . — Map (db m28821) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-1 — South Carolina Canal & Rail Road CompanyOriginal Track Location
Began first successful scheduled steam railroad service in America on December 25, 1830, and by 1833 its 136 miles from Charleston to Hamburg made it the world’s longest railroad. Now part of Southern Railway System. — Map (db m9999) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-35 — St. John's Methodist Church
This church has its origin in 1825 as a Methodist congregation on the Hollow Creek Circuit that predates the city of Aiken. Rev. John Reynolds was the first circuit rider serving St. John's, which shared a minister with St. John in Graniteville . . . — Map (db m10163) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2–12 — St. Thaddeus Church
This Episcopal Church (cornerstone laid Sept. 5, 1842) was consecrated Aug. 9, 1843. It is the city’s oldest church structure, having retained its Greek revival style through subsequent remodeling. Church purchased bell in 1853, Cornish . . . — Map (db m19634) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-38 — The Augusta & Aiken Railway
The Augusta and Aiken Railway, a 26 mile interurban electric trolley line between Augusta, Ga., and Aiken, operated from 1902 to 1929. In Aiken the line began at the corner of Park Ave. & Union St., proceeded west on Park, then north on Laurens . . . — Map (db m10137) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-44 — The Detection of the Neutrino, 1956 / The Nobel Prize In Physics, 1995
The Detection of the Neutrino, 1956 On August 27, 1956, at the Savannah River Plant (now Savannah River Site), Drs. Clyde L. Cowan, Jr. (1919-1974) and Frederick Reines (1918-1999) used P Reactor to detect the neutrino, a sub-atomic particle . . . — Map (db m43146) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — The One Room Schoolhouse
Originally located in China Springs, near Aiken, and believed to have been built in the 1890's this schoolhouse was given to the Aiken County Historical Commission by Mrs. Guerin Hermann of Sandersville, Georgia in 1975. The one room . . . — Map (db m63475) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-1 — The S.C. Railroad
The tracks of the S.C. Railroad, operated by the S.C. Canal & Railroad Company, ran here from 1833 to the 1850s. The company, chartered in 1827, began constructing a 136-mile long line from Charleston to Hamburg (near North Augusta) in 1830. . . . — Map (db m36676) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Transit Of Venus Observatory Structure, 1882
Iron heliometer tower, which served as an observatory, and housing for instruments, including powerful telescopes, used in viewing the December 6, 1882, Transit of Venus in Aiken, South Carolina. The observatory was built in two sections, each . . . — Map (db m10193) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-39 — Whitney Park
(Marker Front) This park, laid out in 1904-05 was named for William Collins Whitney (1841-1904). Whitney, a lawyer, Secretary of the Navy 1885-1889 under Grover Cleveland, and financier, was also an avid sportsman and leading member of the . . . — Map (db m10210) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Woodmen Of The World
(West Face) This Memorial is erected in the memory of deceased members of the Woodmen of the World whose Individual resting places could not be marked (East Face) Woodmen of the World Regional Memorial (List of . . . — Map (db m10270) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-41 — World War II POW Camp
German prisoners of war were held in a camp on this site from November 1943 to May 1946. This camp, one of 21 in S.C., was at first a sub-camp of the POW camp at Camp Gordon (now Fort Gordon), in Augusta, Ga. It was later a sub-camp of Fort . . . — Map (db m36396) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Beech Island — 2-7 — Beech Island Agricultural Club
On January 5, 1856, Governor James H. Hammond and eleven other farmers of this area organized the Beech Island Agricultural Club for the diffusion of agricultural knowledge and the regulation of illegal slave traffic. Monthly meetings and . . . — Map (db m10080) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Beech Island — 2–14 — Beech Island Baptist Church
This church was organized in the Beech Island Academy on January 21, 1832, with Rev. Iverson Brooks as its first minister and Mathias Ardis and Randolph Bradford as its first deacons. This sanctuary, built on land donated by James T. Gardner . . . — Map (db m9992) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Beech Island — 2–18 — Downer Institute & School / Downer School, 1924–1986
Downer Institute & School Downer Institute, founded in 1843, was originally located 1.5 mi. NE of this site and operated until 1865. It was named for benefactor Alexander Downer (1752–1820), whose will established an orphanage and school . . . — Map (db m9994) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Beech Island — 2-4 — Historic Church
This church was built in 1836 by Beech Island Presbyterian Church, organized in 1827 with the Rev. Nathan H. Hoyt of Vermont as first pastor. His son-in-law the Rev. Edward Axson, was ordained and served here. His daughter, Ellen, wife of Woodrow . . . — Map (db m9909) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Beech Island — Redcliffe PlantationState Historic Site
About Redcliffe Plantation State Historic Site Redcliffe Plantation was the home of James Henry Hammond (1807-1864) and three generations of his descendants. Hammond whose political career included terms as a United States Congressman, . . . — Map (db m9591) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Beech Island — 2-9 — Savannah Town / Fort Moore
Savannah Town Forerunner of modern towns and highways and known to the English as early as 1685, this Indian town stood at a major northwestern entrance into S.C. on the trading routes to the Creeks, Choctaws, Chickasaws, and Lower Cherokees. . . . — Map (db m28101) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Clearwater — 2-15 — Storm Branch Baptist Church
(Front text) This church had its origins at or near this site in 1772 as a plantation chapel, in what was Edgefield District until after the Civil War. Revs. Iverson L. Brookes and John Trapp, prominent ministers in the Savannah River . . . — Map (db m31141) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Eureka — 2-20 — Marie Cromer Seigler House
This house was for many years the home of Marie Cromer Seigler (1882-1964), educator and national pioneer in agricultural instruction. In 1910, as teacher and principal of Talatha School, she founded a Girls' Tomato Club, the first of many such . . . — Map (db m28714) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Graniteville — 200th Anniversary of the United States
1776       1976 In memory of the 200th Anniversary of the United States as an Independent Nation and American Patriots who fought for the freedoms we now enjoy Erected by the Towns of Graniteville, Vaucluse and Warrenville . . . — Map (db m9852) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Graniteville — 2-30 — Graniteville Cemetery
(Front text) This cemetery, established about 1850, is closely associated with the Graniteville Mill, the largest and most successful textile mill in antebellum S.C. William Gregg (1800-1867), founder of the mill, laid out the mill . . . — Map (db m43153) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Graniteville — 2-22 — Graniteville Mill
This mill, the largest textile mill in antebellum S.C., was chartered in 1845 and opened in 1847. It was founded by William Gregg (1800–1867), a Virginia native and advocate of industrial development who chose this site for its proximity . . . — Map (db m9763) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Graniteville — Graniteville Train DerailmentJanuary 6, 2005
(Bottom of Center Panel): Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.                                         John 15:13 (Marker Left Panel): At 2:39 am on January 6, 2005 . . . — Map (db m10798) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Graniteville — William Gregg
William Gregg, the founder of Graniteville. Born February 2, 1800, Died September 12, 1867 — Map (db m10237) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Graniteville — WW I Memorial
Erected to the Memory of those who served in the --World War-- -- 1917 - - - 1918 -- Valley Post 77 — Map (db m55745) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Hamburg — 2-3 — Hamburg[Missing as of 4 July 2004]
Situated between this point and the Savannah River, Hamburg was a thriving river port and trading center for cotton and tobacco. Founded in 1821 by Henry Schultz, incorporated December 19, 1827, Hamburg became the most important interior port in . . . — Map (db m41892) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Hamburg — 2-2 — Western Terminus South Carolina Railroad
Near the foot of this bluff in the old town of Hamburg stood the western terminus of the S.C. Canal and Rail Road Co. Begun in 1830, it was the first steam operated railroad to offer regular passenger service and to carry U.S. mail. Completed in . . . — Map (db m27835) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Jackson — 2-21 — Silver Bluff Baptist Church
This church, one of the first black Baptist churches in America, grew out of regular worship services held as early as the 1750s at "Silver Bluff," the plantation of Indian trader George Galphin. At first a non-denominational congregation with . . . — Map (db m31610) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Jackson — 2-13 — Site of Ellenton
Post office est. here 1873. Town chartered 1880. Ellenton and surrounding area purchased by US Govt in early 1950s for establishment of Savannah River Plant. — Map (db m9910) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Montmorenci — 2–10 — Pascalis Plantation / Pascalina
Pascalis Plantation Elizabeth Pascalis purchased these 790 acres in 1835, settled here with her son Cyril Ouviere, and brought the orphaned children of her daughter, here, to live. Cyril, a civil engineer, was a resident engineer . . . — Map (db m9797) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), near Aiken — 2-48 — Camp Butler
This is the site of Camp Butler, a Confederate "camp of instruction" that operated from the spring to the fall of 1861, in what was then Barnwell District. New companies, organized as independent companies, or in state regiments, were . . . — Map (db m63281) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), near Jackson — Savannah River Site
Fifty Years ago today, November 28, 1950, President Harry S.Truman announced that the Savannah River Plant would be built. This marker is dedicated to families who originally lived on this property and to the patriotic men and . . . — Map (db m10001) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), New Ellenton — 2-27 — Savannah River Plant
The Savannah River Plant (SRP) was built 1950–56 by Du Pont for the Atomic Energy Commission. SRP, a nuclear production plant, produced tritium and plutonium for national defense during the Cold War. Creating a 310-sq.-mi. site in three . . . — Map (db m9941) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — Grenada • Panama • Persian Gulf Tribute
. . . — Map (db m31507) WM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — 2-17 — Hampton Terrace Hotel
The Hampton Terrace Hotel, an exclusive winter resort, stood atop this hill from 1903 to 1916. The $536,000, 5-story hotel boasted more than 300 rooms and was the dream of James U. Jackson (1856-1925), founder of North Augusta. A private . . . — Map (db m31103) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — 2-5 — James U. Jackson Memorial Bridge / James U. Jackson ( 1856-1925)
James U. Jackson Memorial Bridge The first North Augusta bridge was built in 1891 by James U. Jackson. The present bridge, built in 1939, was formally dedicated as "The James U. Jackson Memorial Bridge." The building of the 1891 bridge, the . . . — Map (db m31662) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — James Urquhart Jackson
James Urquhart Jackson, founder of North Augusta, was born in the village of Harrisonville, near Augusta, Georgia, on June 24, 1856. It was his vision that shaped North Augusta's early years. In 1890 Jackson acquired 5600 acres of land . . . — Map (db m10050) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — Korean War Tribute
Korea 1950 — 1953 Dedicated to the men and woman who bravely fought in "The Forgotten War". The first war to end the spread of communist tyranny throughout the world. — Map (db m31364) WM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — Meriwether MonumentHero of the Hamburg Riot
(South face): Dec. 4,1852 - July 8, 1876 ——— In Memory of Thomas McKie Meriwether. Who on 8th July 1876, gave his life that the civilization builded by his fathers might be preserved for their . . . — Map (db m10170) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — Mexican War Tribute
Mexican War 1846 — 1848 Dedicated to the brave men of South Carolina who along with other Patriots willingly served that the Nation might expand its western horizons. Of these men who willingly volunteered to fight a . . . — Map (db m30980) WM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — 2-33 — North Augusta
North Augusta, chartered in 1906, includes the site of two early towns. Campbell Town was a trading post on the Savannah River before the American Revolution. Hamburg, founded in 1821 as a port on the river, was an early western terminus of the . . . — Map (db m9672) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — Revolutionary War1775 — 1783
Our fight for Independence that assured us Freedom of Speech, Religion, the Press, Right to Peaceful Assembly and right to Petition for Redress of Grievances. We enjoy our present freedom because of the willingness of our . . . — Map (db m30819) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — 2–11 — Samuel Hammond
Born 1757 in Virginia, this Indian fighter, who later moved to Edgefield District, attained the rank of Lieutenant Colonel of state troops during the American Revolution. Among the engagements he participated in were: Hanging Rock, Musgrove’s . . . — Map (db m9800) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — Spanish American War Tribute
Spanish American War 1898 The battle with the slogan "Remember the Maine", brought the United States as a great power and the beginning of overseas recognition. — Map (db m31208) WM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — 2-6 — The Martintown Road
In the 1730s, an Indian path from Fort Moore to the Saluda ridge was used by traders going to the Cherokee Nation. Later, a wagon road from Ninety Six to Augusta followed the same route. Named for the Martin family who lived beside it and served . . . — Map (db m32320) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — Viet Nam War Tribute
. . . — Map (db m31489) WM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — War Between The States Tribute
War Between The States 1861 — 1865 Let the stranger who may in future times read this inscription recognize that these were men whom power could not corrupt, whom death could not terrify, whom defeat could not dishonor, . . . — Map (db m31127) WM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — War of 1812 Tribute
War of 1812 1812 — 1815 They bravely fought and willingly died for principles they knew to be right. — Map (db m30869) WM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — World War I Tribute
World War I 1914 — 1918 Dedicated to the men and women who served in the great war which was believed to be the final war of human liberty and the "war to end all wars". — Map (db m31243) WM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — World War II Tribute
World War II 1941 — 1945 Dedicated to the men and women who battled globally to secure a free world for all mankind. The massive production war effort caused many women to enter industry and changed the American . . . — Map (db m31269) WM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Perry — Commemorative Memorial( Perry S. C. )
Commemorative In Recognition of those of Perry serving in the U.S. Armed Forces and in memory of those who lost their lives. Erected Oct. 8, 1988 — Map (db m50340) WM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Salley — Capt. Dempsey Hammond Salley1838 - 1903
(Front) A patriot and Christian devoted to his country, his family and his god. He served his country well as a member of Hart's Battery and died loving the cause for which he fought. Dempsey Hammond Salley was . . . — Map (db m47645) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Salley — The Salley Family
. . . — Map (db m47717) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Wagener — The Crawfords Memorial
(Left) Herbert Boyd (H.B.) Crawford U.S. Navy Honorably Discharged April 8, 1946 During World War II with Japan his back was broken & both legs were paralyzed when his cargo ship was torpedoed (Right) Mabel . . . — Map (db m56751) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Wagener — 2-43 — Wagener
Wagener, established after the Blackville, Alston, & Newberry RR built its line from Blackville to Seivern in 1887-88, was originally known as Guntersville or Gunter´s Crossroads. When incorporated in 1888 it was renamed for George A. Wagener . . . — Map (db m67342) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Wagener — Wagener Museum
Prior to 1887 the area now known as the Wagener Community was called Guntersville, and its residents were primarily engaged in agriculture, for their livelihood. The coming of the railroad, "The Swamp Rabbit", in 1887 drew farmers, timberjacks, . . . — Map (db m40428) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Warrenville — 2-28 — Jacksonville School / Jacksonville Lodge
Jacksonville School Jacksonville School, built by the Jacksonville Lodge in 1895, taught the black children of this community until 1936. Grades 1-7, with two teachers, met in two classrooms on the first floor, without electricity or running . . . — Map (db m31175) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Warrenville — 2-34 — Jefferson High School / Rev. Austin Jefferson, Sr.
Jefferson High School Jefferson High School opened in 1956 as a junior high and high school for African-American students of Beech Island, Belvedere, Graniteville, Jackson, Langley-Bath-Clearwater, and North Augusta, with Herman W.W. Fennell . . . — Map (db m31675) HM
South Carolina (Allendale County), Allendale — 3-3 — Antioch Christian Church
Organized in 1833 by Dr. and Mrs. W.R. Erwin and Mrs. U.M. Robert, this was the second Christian Church (Disciples Of Christ) founded in South Carolina. Dr. J.D. Erwin, II, served as minister for forty years. The present building . . . — Map (db m19635) HM
South Carolina (Allendale County), Allendale — 3-2 — Beech Branch Baptist Church
Constituted September 12, 1759 as Coosawhatchie Church, this church became in 1882 Beech Branch Baptist Church. The present lot was granted in 1796 and occupied by 1815. The building was remodeled in 1908 and in 1960, electricity having . . . — Map (db m15466) HM
South Carolina (Allendale County), Allendale — 3-14 — Happy Home Baptist Church
(Front text) This church, founded soon after the Civil War, held its first services in a brush arbor in the Woods community of what was then Barnwell County. It built its first permanent church, a frame building, in the Zion Branch . . . — Map (db m49489) HM
South Carolina (Allendale County), Allendale — 3-7 — Old Allendale
Original site of Allendale, named for its first postmaster, Paul Allen, in 1849. Sherman's troops under Gen. Kilpatrick camped here. Town moved to present site by 1873. — Map (db m15914) HM
South Carolina (Allendale County), Allendale — 3-1 — Smyrna Baptist Church
Organized in 1827 as Kirkland Church, the name was changed in 1836 to Smyrna Baptist Church. Title to the site was conveyed in 1849 by William I. Mixon. Additional land was given by Thomas H. Willingham in 1882 to extend the church property to . . . — Map (db m15581) HM
South Carolina (Allendale County), Allendale — 3-5 — Town of Allendale
(Front ) In 1810, pursuant to an Act of the South Carolina General Assembly, the state conveyed a 1000 acre landgrant signed by governor John Drayton to Benjamin and G. Washington Allen. The acreage included the present town of Allendale, . . . — Map (db m6537) HM
South Carolina (Allendale County), Fairfax — Allendale County War Memorial
In Memory Of War Dead Of Allendale County Dedicated June 1954 to the memory of brave men, who died that their country might live — Map (db m16900) HM
South Carolina (Allendale County), Fairfax — 3-4 — Bethlehem Church
This Baptist Church, organized by 1854, built its first house of worship near here on land purchased in 1859 from A.R. Stokes. The congregation obtained the land for its present location in 1910 from G.D. Sanders and completed by 1914. In 1944 the . . . — Map (db m9960) HM
South Carolina (Allendale County), Fairfax — 3-11 — Fairfax
[front text] Fairfax, chartered in 1893 and incorporated in 1896, grew out of an early community centered around Owens' Crossroads, where a store was established in 1814, and later including Bethlehem Baptist Church ( now First . . . — Map (db m7082) HM
South Carolina (Allendale County), Fairfax — 3-8 — Harmony Baptist Church
This church had its origins in a brush arbor as early as 1830 but was formally organized in 1878 with Rev. H. C. Smart as its first pastor and W. H. Cone and R. H. Mixon as its first deacons. Named Harmony Baptist Church by charter member Sarah . . . — Map (db m25859) HM
South Carolina (Allendale County), Martin — Concord Baptist Church
Site of Concord-Baptist-Church 1855 — 1948 — Map (db m31543) HM
South Carolina (Allendale County), Millett — 3-13 — Speedwell Methodist Church
(Front text) This church, founded in 1885, was named Speedwell for a stagecoach stop and the first post office in the vicinity, now Millett. In 1884-85 Ogreta Brabham Dunbar and Savannah Barker Bates raised funds for a new congregation, in . . . — Map (db m37789) HM
South Carolina (Allendale County), Sycamore — 3-12 — Barker's Mill / Skirmish at Barker's Mill
(Barker's Mill side of marker): Barker's Mill, which stood here on Jackson Branch, was a grist mill owned by William Ransome Barker (1816-1869), a planter in what was then Barnwell District. Barker moved to this are in the . . . — Map (db m7176) HM
South Carolina (Allendale County), Sycamore — 3-10 — Bethel Baptist Church
(Front Text ) This church was organized in 1851 by Revs. Lewis Parker and John Hoover, with twelve charter members and Rev. Hoover as its first minister. The congregation has worshipped on this site, on land donated by Mathias . . . — Map (db m7771) HM
South Carolina (Allendale County), Sycamore — 3-9 — Old St. Nicholas Cemetery
The original cemetery associated with St. Nicholas Lutheran Church is 1/3 mile S off SC Hwy 641. The church, originally located nearby, was founded about 1804 in what was then Barnwell District, and the cemetery includes family plots of the . . . — Map (db m7855) HM
South Carolina (Allendale County), Sycamore — 3-6 — St. Nicholas Church
Lutheran church, org. by 1804, has occupied several sites. Today's structure, built in 1910, incorporates material from the 1884 church and stands about 2 mi south. — Map (db m7842) HM
Virginia (Appomattox County), Appomattox — The McLean House(reconstruction)
Here in the parlor of Wilmer Mclean's home on April 9 — Palm Sunday — 1865 Lee surrendered the Army of Northern Virginia to Grant. This act brought the Civil War to an end. — Map (db m36254) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — 484th Bombardment Group
The 484th Bomb Group (H) 49th Bomb Wing 15th AF, Flew Bombing Missions From Torretta Airfield, Italy 1944-45 and Was Part of the Greatest Aerial Armada to Ever Take to the Skies (484th Bomb Group Association) This Plaque . . . — Map (db m62341) WM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — 503rd Parachute Regimental Combat TeamWorld War II
503rd Prcht Inf Reg 462nd Prcht Arty Bn 161st Prcht Eng Co This Memorial Is Dedicated to the Memory of Our Comrades Who Gave Their Lives In The Cause of Freedom During World War II — Map (db m62454) WM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — 63rd Infantry Division
Ardennes / Alsace Rhineland Central Europe 1944 - 1945 In Honor Of The More Than 1000 Men Of The 63RD Infantry Division Who Gave Their Lives So That We May Live Free Dedicated to their fallen comrades by the men of . . . — Map (db m62350) WM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — 93rd Bombardment Group (Heavy)
Alconbury and Hardwick, England North Africa: Three Tours WWII Strategic Bombing 1942 - 1945 In Memory of Those Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice in the Skies Over Europe During World War II to Preserve Our Freedoms. Dedicated to All Who . . . — Map (db m62342) WM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — American Ex-Prisoners of War
Non Solum Armis ("Not By Arms Alone") We Exist To Help Those Who Cannot Help Themselves     10 Nov 1997 — Map (db m62372) WM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — Argonne Cross
(East Base) In Memory Of Our Men In France 1917 1918 (West base) Erected Through The Efforts Of The Argonne Unit American Women's Legion — Map (db m45119) WM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — Chaplains Hill
Left-most, first marker Catholic Chaplains who died serving their country in World War II and in the Korean and Vietnam conflicts World War II Antonucci, Ralph A. · Babst, Julius J. · Bacigalupo, Andrew · Barrett, Thomas J. · . . . — Map (db m45149) WM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — Landing Craft Support Ships
This Oak planted as a Memorial to the WWII sailors who manned the U.S. Navy Landing Craft Support Ships. Was Dedicated By The National Association of USS LCS(L) 1-130 On 26 August 1994. "We were the Mighty Midgets... The small . . . — Map (db m62351) WM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — Lexington Minute Men
In Memory Of The Men of the Lexington Militia Killed In Action • 19 April 1775 During the First Battle of the American Revolution John Brown     Robert Munroe Samuel Hadley     Isaac Muzzy Caleb Harrington      Jonas Parker . . . — Map (db m62373) WM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — The Peacemaker
In memory of the outstanding contributions of the aircrews and ground personnel who supported the B-36 Peacemaker nuclear force deterrent of the Strategic Air command from 1948 to 1958. Their sacrifice, dedication, rediness and vigilance . . . — Map (db m62374) WM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — U. S. Army Reserves
Dedicated To United States Army Reserve Soldiers and Families Who Have Served And Sacrificed For Our Nation 100 Army Reserves 100 Years Strong 1908-2008 — Map (db m62348) WM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — U.S. Navy Cruiser Sailors Association
"Lest We Forget" This Tree And Marker Are Dedicated In Honor And Remembrance Of All Who Served Aboard U.S. Navy Cruisers 25 April 1998 — Map (db m62352) WM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — Walter Reed, M.D.
Walter Reed, M.D. of The Univ. of Va; A.M. of Harvard University • L.L.D. of The Univ. of Mich; Professor of Bacteriology Army Medical School and Columbian Univ. Washington, D.C. "He gave to man control over that dreadful . . . — Map (db m51174) HM
Virginia (Augusta County), New Hope — Piedmont Battlefield
Here on June 5, 1864, was fought the Battle of Piedmont for the possession of Staunton. Union Forces under Gen. David Hunter 12,015 men and suffered a loss of 130 killed and 650 wounded. Confederate forces numbering 5,600 men under Gen. W.E.Jones . . . — Map (db m80297) HM

2900 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 2700
Paid Advertisement