Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

880 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 680
 
Alpena County Courthouse Marker from sidewalk image, Touch for more information
By Joel S., July 2, 2013
Alpena County Courthouse Marker from sidewalk
Ontario (Chatham-Kent County), Morpeth — The Wilkins Expedition — 1763
On November 7, 1763 a fleet of small boats carrying nearly 700 officers and men of the 60th and 80th Regiments under Major John Wilkins was forced ashore by a violent storm abut three miles east of this point. The expedition had set out from Niagara . . . — Map (db m108505) HM
Ontario (Essex County), Leamington — Carolinian Canada — Middle Island / Ξle Middle
Middle Island Middle Island is the most southern piece of land in Canada. Only a few metres from the Canada-US border, the tiny 22-hectare island is part of the western Lake Erie archipelago. Migrating birds and insects use the island to . . . — Map (db m124119) HM
Indiana (Lagrange County), Shipshewana — Shipshewana — Chief Shipshewana (Shup-she-wah-no)
Abraham Summey 1827 - 1900 Summey Town           Hezekiah Davis 1825 - 1891 Davis Town
Hezekiah Davis came to this area with his family in 1836. He was 10 years old. He grew up . . . — Map (db m95561) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — L746 — Alpena County Courthouse
"Alpena has blazed a new trail in construction," architect William H. Kuni of Detroit declared at the opening of the Alpena County Courthouse on October 21, 1935. Calling it "the first monolithic building erected in a cold climate," Kuni designed . . . — Map (db m66795) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — L1413 — "Ten Hours or No Sawdust"
Side 1 When Bay City's sawmills opened in 1885, mill owners notified workers that wages would be 12 to 25 percent lower than in 1884. On July 6, 1885, Bay City millhands began to walk off the job. Their slogan, "Ten Hours or No Sawdust," . . . — Map (db m33693) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — L2122 — Center Avenue
Center Avenue presents one of the most spectacular displays of late nineteenth and early twentieth century residential architecture in Michigan. Between 1870 and 1940 Bay City's prominent citizens favored Center Avenue as "the" place to live. Early . . . — Map (db m33961) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — Charles B. & Georgiana (McGraw) Curtiss House — c. 1892
Charles came to Bay City in 1864 from Ithaca, NY, to work for sawmill owners Henry Sage and John McGraw, eventually buying the Bay City Dredging Co. His home's architecture is Shavian Manorial, a Queen Anne/Tudor Revival style named after the . . . — Map (db m33909) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — L2084 — First Presbyterian Church
Side 1 In 1848, James G. Birney and his wife led Bay City's earliest Presbyterian services in a schoolhouse. Birney, an elder in the church, twice ran unsuccessfully for president on the antislavery ticket. The Reverend Lucius Root organized . . . — Map (db m33696) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — L0858 — Trinity Church/Trinity Episcopal Church
(front side): Trinity Church Trinity Church grew from a small group of settlers served by Episcopal missionaries beginning around 1842. Church records credit William and Ann Fitzhugh with founding the church. On March 4, 1854, . . . — Map (db m33912) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — L2258 — H.C. Lewis Art Gallery / Masonic Temple
H.C. Lewis Art Gallery Businessman Henry Clay Lewis and his wife, Alma, built the original part of this structure in 1869 to house their extensive art collection and make it available to the public. The Italianate building complimented the . . . — Map (db m103503) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — Richard L. Bettinger Memorial Gardens
The gardens in the library park have been donated by the family of Richard L. Bettinger in honor of donors who contributed $500 or more to the renovation of the Naomi Davis Home, Branch County's shelterhouse. Individuals and organizations who made . . . — Map (db m104982) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Homer — L439 — Homer Fire Station
This brick structure with arched windows and a decorative cornice was built in 1876, five years after Homer incorporated as a village. A fire station, jail, and city offices initially occupied the building which is located in the center of the . . . — Map (db m78879) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Indian River — 127 — Inland Waterway
The glaciers of the last Ice Age retreated to the north some 25,000 years ago, leaving behind the lakes that rank as Michigan's most notable geographical feature. Among the state's largest inland lakes is Burt Lake, named after William A. Burt, who, . . . — Map (db m33247) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — Chief Wawatam — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
Railroad construction across America boomed in the second half of the 1800s, spurred on by technological improvements and demand for distant products. Getting rail cars across the Straits required special boats. Railroads were completed on . . . — Map (db m105945) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — Historic Mackinaw City — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
Map (db m105946) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — Iron Horse — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
The long-anticipated railroads finally arrived in the Straits in 1881 and 1882. Their arrival, originally expected before the Civil War, was delayed by the War and then by shifting priorities. Once here, they brought many jobs, many visitors, and . . . — Map (db m105924) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — L1414 — Mackinaw City
Side 1 In 1634 Samuel de Champlain sent Jean Nicolet from Quebec to explore this area and make peace with the Ottawa and Ojibwa Indians. French traders were in the area in 1673, but they left when conflict with the Indians ensued. The . . . — Map (db m105887) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — Mackinaw, Mackinac or Michilimackinac? — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
The entire Mackinac Straits region derives its name from a French translation of the Ojibway name for Mackinac Island; Missilimakinak, where missi (also michi or mishi) means great or many and . . . — Map (db m105853) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — Mackinaw's Civil War Cannons — The Guns (Cannons) That Won the Civil War — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
During the Civil War and after the battle in Mobile Bay, naval historians called this gun, the 9-inch Dahlgren, the gun "that won the Civil War". We are very lucky to have these three relics from the Civil War here in Makinaw City, Michigan. The . . . — Map (db m105885) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — The Algomah — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
The Algomah sank at the Cheboygan docks in July 1942 and was raised two years later. She was towed to Mackinaw City, filled with stone, and sunk to form the breakwall at the end of Shelpler's ferry dock. In 1947, Captain William Shepler, . . . — Map (db m105883) HM
Michigan (Clare County), Clare — L1909 — Clare Congregational Church
Saginaw architect William T. Cooper designed this church in a Greek cross plan. The church, built in 1909, is one of only a few in Michigan that reflect how early twentieth-century Protestants adopted the architecture of the fifth- and sixth-century . . . — Map (db m98777) HM
Michigan (Clinton County), Grand Ledge — 268 — Michigan's Capital
Ahead lies Lansing, capital of Michigan. In 1835, when the state was organized, Detroit was the capital, as it had been when Michigan was a territory. The capital, after much debate, was moved to its present, more centally located site in 1847. The . . . — Map (db m94905) HM
Michigan (Clinton County), Laingsburg — Sleepy Hollow State Park — Welcome! To Sleepy Hollow State Park!
Sleepy Hollow has three picnic areas with shelters, 1/8 mile of swim beach and a 181 site modern campground. The 11 miles of hiking trails and six miles of bridle trails pass through forested and open land. The park offers examples of "forest . . . — Map (db m119568) HM
Michigan (Clinton County), Ovid — Carriage House
In 1996, the Ovid Historical Society with the financial aid of the Downtown Development Association purchased a carriage that had been manufactured at the Ovid Carriage Works, later known as the Scofield Buggy Company in Ovid. The members of the . . . — Map (db m119805) HM
Michigan (Clinton County), Ovid — L1718 — George D. Sowers House
Built in 1869-70 for George D. and Carrie Sowers, this house is an excellent example of Italianate architecture. Sowers, the first of several prominent local businessmen to live here, owned a planing mill located across the street with his partner, . . . — Map (db m119389) HM
Michigan (Clinton County), Ovid — L114 — Village of Ovid / First Congregational Church of Ovid
Village of Ovid In 1836, inhabitants of Ovid, Seneca Falls County, New York, began to settle this fertile farm area. Among them were Samuel Barker, who built his log cabin in "Section 6;" Jabez Denison, noted for his prowess in killing . . . — Map (db m119352) HM
Michigan (Clinton County), St. Johns — L765 — Paine-Gillam-Scott House
Lured by the railroad, John W. Paine (1821-1870) moved from the nearby Rochester Colony to St. Johns. In 1860 he built the town's first brick store and this house. The office was later added to this site. Dr. Samuel Gillam (1845-1908) remodeled the . . . — Map (db m68222) HM
Michigan (Crawford County), Grayling — L2270 — Michelson Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church
In 1882, residents of Grayling built the town's first church for the Methodist Episcopal congregation that had organized in 1879. In 1918, local lumberman Nels Michelson donated funds to erect a large brick church in honor of his late wife, . . . — Map (db m95652) HM
Michigan (Crawford County), Grayling — S0709 — The Return of Kirtland's Warbler
The Kirtland's Warbler was first identified in 1851 from a specimen collected on Dr. Jared Kirtland's Ohio farm. The birds originally depended on fire-created young jack pine forests for summer nesting. Such forests in northern Michigan became their . . . — Map (db m33239) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — L1719 — 1845 Eaton County Courthouse
This building served as Eaton County's courthouse from 1846 to 1872. The first courthouse was built in Bellevue in the 1830s. In 1840, Charlotte became the county seat, and in 1844 the county supervisors voted to erect a new courthouse on the . . . — Map (db m126072) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — L1371 — Center Eaton United Methodist Church
On November 30, 1878, the local Methodist class purchased land for a church from Benjamin and Catherine Spotts for $25.00. Church men cut and hewed the logs for the building. The Reverend B. E. Paddock dedicated the church on November 10, 1881. . . . — Map (db m126010) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — S190 — Eaton County / Eaton County Courthouse Square
Eaton County Eaton County was organized in 1837 and named for President Andrew Jackson's war secretary, John H. Eaton. Pioneers had come to Bellevue, the first county seat, in 1833. The county was settled chiefly by New Englanders who . . . — Map (db m121314) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — L187 — First Congregational Church of Charlotte
This handsome brick church was completed in 1881. Seven persons organized the congregation in 1851 in nearby Carmel Township. Moving to Charlotte the next year, they held services in the wooden courthouse and in 1856 built the city's first place of . . . — Map (db m121366) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — History of the Bennett Park Dam
The dam at Bennett Park was built around 1907 to provide cooling water for a stream generated water works facility. Additionally, it served as a local recreational attraction for many members of the community who would swim and fish here. The . . . — Map (db m126182) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — L2076 — Joseph & Mary Hall House
Local builder Nathan Johnson built this house around 1845 for Charlotte's first physician, Joseph P. Hall, and his wife, Mary. The house was moved from the business district to this site in 1868. Many professionals lived here, including . . . — Map (db m126029) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — L2154 — Lawrence Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church
Side 1 Served for many years by circuit riding ministers, the Methodist congregation dates from 1838, making it Charlotte's oldest religious society. People worshipped at the home of Jonathan Searles, in a temporary courtroom in the Eagle . . . — Map (db m121387) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — S691 — Luren D. Dickinson / The "Country Capitol"
Luren D. Dickinson Michigan's thirty-seventh governor, Luren D. Dickinson (1859-1943), prided himself on being a frugal farmer. As a young man he taught school and served as principal of Potterville High School before becoming . . . — Map (db m125995) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — "Growing Progress" — By Artist Thomas Sheering
Provided by the children of Victor J. and Rosella C. Huhn, in loving memory of their parents who were longtime Grand Ledge residents. The Huhn family started their journey in the United States much the same as a majority of immigrants by . . . — Map (db m125647) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — L1943 — Blake's Opera House
Constructed in 1884 as a roller skating rink, this building was purchased by Peter Blake and opened as Blake's Opera House in 1886. Here, audiences enjoyed talent shows, vaudeville, silent movies and athletic contests. Between 1928 and 1984, the . . . — Map (db m122824) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — 9 — Bring Bricks Back to Nature
With over 40,000 bricks produced a day there were bound to be a few bad bricks. As you walk deeper into the wooded trails look closely at what appears to be hills of trees and vegetation. LOOK AGAIN - these hills are the remains of . . . — Map (db m122706) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — L593 — Fitzgerald Park
Migrant Indian tribes led by the famous Chief Okemos called this area "Big Rocks." They came here in early spring to tap the sugar maples. Later, the beauty of the ledges and woods attracted the Grand Ledge Spiritualist Camp Association which, in . . . — Map (db m122708) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — S511 — Governor Frank D. Fitzgerald Home
Governor Frank D. Fitzgerald Home Here lived Frank D. Fitzgerald who served his first term as governor 1935-36. His second term, starting in January 1939, was cut short by his death in this house in March of that year. Born in Grand Ledge . . . — Map (db m122729) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — Grand Ledge 1909
Look to your left and up to see the water tank built in 1909. There, an enterprising photographer took this photograph, perhaps the first aerial view of Grand Ledge. He captured a section of the Grand River where the north and south sides were . . . — Map (db m125656) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — L1644 — Grand Ledge Chair Company
Built in 1906 — Map (db m125646) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — Preston's Grocery - Preston's Bar — Michigan Centennial Business
This plaque is issued by the Historical Society of Michigan in recognition of Preston's Grocery - Preston's Bar founded in 1914 for more than 100 years of continuous operation in service to the people of Michigan and for . . . — Map (db m125591) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — 4 — Quarrying and Carrying
The large pieces of shale rock that were dynamited from the quarry were carried up to the top of this hill by mining carts and dumped into the crusher which pulverized these 400 pound slabs into a dusty chalk which was sent down to the Pug Mill room . . . — Map (db m122657) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — Shane Jewelry Company — Michigan Centennial Business
This plaque is issued by the Historical Society of Michigan in recognition of Shane Jewelry Company founded in 1883 for more than 100 years of continuous operation in service to the people of Michigan and for contributing to . . . — Map (db m122826) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — 8 — The Old Boiler Room and Sand House
The structure in front of you was referred to by many of the workers as the old boiler room, being the original boiler room for the factory. Through changes in ownership and updating of equipment this building was turned into a storehouse once . . . — Map (db m122652) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — 7 — Through Fire, Depression and War - The Legend Lives On
Although currently only a partial wall of this 300 foot kiln remains, this brick factory has withstood over a century of brick production through five separate owners, a fire which spread throughout the plant in 1927, the depression era of the . . . — Map (db m122705) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — 3 — What's Buried Down Below?
Looking down hill from this area you may notice a pond. Once two types of shale were processed from this quarry and used for brick making. It was said that at one time this quarry was over 60 feet deep and that during the last years of operations . . . — Map (db m122653) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — 2 — Where You are Standing Wasn't Always Woods
Looking at this wooded park it is hard to imagine that from 1914 to 1947 this area was cleared of trees and was the home of up to 11 buildings which made up a brick factory. The longest of which was the kiln reaching some 300 feet from this point . . . — Map (db m122660) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — 6 — Why Lincoln Bricks Were Better
This building, known as the New Boiler room, was attached to a unit known as the gas producers. This gas was produced from coal. Producer gas was different from illuminating gases because no by-products such as smoke or coal tar were released. . . . — Map (db m122707) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Potterville — L1296 — The Potterville United Methodist Church
Side 1 The Potterville United Methodist Church was organized after the Reverend Hiram Nichols held a revival meeting in Potterville in 1867. The congregation appointed a building committee in 1875 and began work on the church in the spring . . . — Map (db m125966) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Fenton — 1834 Clark Dibble Settlement
This is where it all began—the site on which the first settler, Clark Dibble, built a small home and mill dam, naming the town "Dibbleville". — Map (db m94779) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Fenton — 1837-Riggs Hotel
1837-Riggs Hotel 1900-A.J. Phillips Private Office 1906-A.J. Phillips Library 1987-A.J. Phillips Fenton Museum — Map (db m94732) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Fenton — 1838 Judge Daniel LeRoy's Law Office
Judge LeRoy was the first Attorney General for the State of Michigan. Upper Level 1868-Fenton Independent newspaper 1869-Ladies Literary & Library Association — Map (db m94727) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Fenton — 1840 Grindstone from Fenton Mills
The flouring mill produced 120 barrels of flour a day. It stood on the site where the Fenton City Hall is now. — Map (db m94776) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Fenton — 1889 A.J. Phillips Work Office
Initially producing wood products, Mr. Phillips invented the sliding window screen. The demand prompted a huge factory complex covering 12 acres. 1913-The factory was sold to Henry C. Koppin to hand assemble the "Fenton Cyclecar". — Map (db m94737) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Fenton — Dibbleville Business District II
"The Andrews Block" built by Clark Andrews in 1867
  1. 1869-Booth & Boutell Books & Watches
  2. 1869-Anderson's Mens Clothes
  3. 1872-Johnson's Crockery & Millinery
  4. 1869-Adams Hardware & Stoves
Map (db m94728) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Fenton — L164 — Fenton House
Constructed soon after the Detroit and Milwaukee Railroad reached town in 1855, this hotel has been a favorite resting and dining spot for over a century. It was said in 1883 that the guests were "entertained in a style unsurpassed in many large . . . — Map (db m94761) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Fenton — L1387 — Fenton United Methodist Church
In March 1837 the Reverend Washington Jackson formed a Methodist congregation in Dibbleville (present-day Fenton) at the home of Levi Warren. Warren donated land and the first church was built in 1853. Its brick walls collapsed during the . . . — Map (db m94759) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Fenton — L2019 — Saint Jude's Episcopal Church
On May 3, 1858, the Reverend Henry Banwell held Fenton's first Episcopal service for the Ladies Mite Society. The society formally organized as Saint Jude's Episcopal Church on July 18, 1859. In 1860 members built their first church on this site, . . . — Map (db m94716) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Otisville — L2180 — E. S. Swayze Drugstore
E. S. Swayze opened a drugstore on this site prior to 1870. When the store burned in 1874, Swayze built this one. Members of the Free Methodist Church used the second-floor meeting hall for services from 1887 to 1890. In 1903 Masonic Lodge #401 and . . . — Map (db m33728) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Otisville — L2191 — Laing-Mason House
This house was built in stages between the 1860s and the 1930s. In 1889 Dr. John B. Laing and his wife, Harriet, purchased the house. Raised in Vermont, Laing (1846-1908) came to Otisville in 1871 as one of the village's earliest physicians, and . . . — Map (db m33731) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Alma — 181 — Alma College
On October 26, 1886, the Presbyterian Synod of Michigan accepted an offer by Ammi W. Wright of Alma of thirty acres of land, containing two buildings, and a gift of $50,000 from Alexander Folsom of Bay City, for the purpose of establishing Alma . . . — Map (db m91690) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Alma — S0567 — Michigan Masonic Home
In November 1885 the Michigan Masonic Home Association was established to raise funds for a home and health care facility for aged Masons. In 1891 Michigan's first Masonic Home, located on Reed's Lake near Grand Rapids, was opened. When fire . . . — Map (db m91683) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Alma — Site of Folsom Hall — 1895-1973
When completed in 1895, this building was Alma College's first gymnasium. The physical education facilities were on the second floor and below them were a museum, locker room and classroom which at one time served the College's Kindergarten Training . . . — Map (db m91764) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Alma — Site of Old Main — 1886-1969
Originally known as the Administration Building, Old Main and an adjacent structure, Pioneer Hall, were actually older than Alma College. Completed early in 1886, the buildings were to constitute the Central Michigan Normal School and Business . . . — Map (db m91763) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Breckenridge — L2214 — Drake House
This house was built in 1907 for Wilkie and Rhoda Waggoner Drake. Upon graduating from medical school in 1902, Wilkie Drake (1875-1963) practiced near Detroit and then came to Breckenridge to begin a career that lasted nearly sixty years. After the . . . — Map (db m106658) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Breckenridge — L1966 — Saginaw and Gratiot County State Road / Saginaw Valley and St. Louis Railroad
Saginaw and Gratiot County State Road In 1867 goods for Gratiot and Isabella Counties were shipped from Detroit to St. Johns, then hauled by teams of horses to outlying settlements. In an effort to lessen the exhorbitant . . . — Map (db m106669) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Ithaca — 176 — Gratiot County
This county was named for Gen. Charles Gratiot, builder of Fort Gratiot at Port Huron in 1814. A few Chippewas and other Indians lived in the area in 1831 when the county was laid out. A Lutheran Indian mission was set up in 1846 near what is now . . . — Map (db m90001) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Ithaca — L2224 — Henry R. Pattengill

Side 1
Henry R. Pattengill (1852-1918) was Michigan superintendent of public instruction from 1893 to 1897. As a textbook author, an orator and editor of Moderator-Topics, a journal for educators, he shaped Michigan's . . . — Map (db m91669) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Ithaca — Henry Romain Pattengill — 1852-1918
Superintendent of Ithaca public schools from 1876 to 1884.

He devoted the best years of his young manhood to the lasting benefit of Gratiot's girls and boys who passed under his instruction.

This monument is erected on the site of the . . . — Map (db m91670) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Ithaca — L1703 — Jackson - Weller House — Built 1881, 1906
Map (db m90511) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Riverdale — L545 — Lumberjack Park

Side 1
In 1926, when George Beck of Ithaca learned that one of the last stands of white pine in Gratiot County was going to be cut, he called on local lumberjacks and rivermen to buy the threatened forty-acre tract and preserve . . . — Map (db m91707) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), St. Louis — Joseph Clapp Memorial Park
In 1856 the land now known as the City Park was granted to the city of St. Louis to be used only as a park. On October 23, 1988, the City Council in recognition of this generous contribution does hereby rename this the Joseph Clapp Memorial Park. — Map (db m106751) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), St. Louis — Saint Louis
Side 1 Settled 1853 Inc[orporated] as city 1868 Side 2 Geographical center of the lower peninsula of Michigan Dedicated 1880     Rededicated May 25, 1962 — Map (db m106779) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), St. Louis — Sidney S. Hastings
Placed this stone here in 1876 to mark the geographical center of lower Michigan. — Map (db m106778) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Hillsdale — L1275 — College Baptist Church
This church was incorporated as the First Free Will Baptist Church on November 24, 1855. The congregation met at the Hillsdale College Chapel until the present church was constructed in 1867-68. This Romanesque building was designed by a Chicago . . . — Map (db m32250) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Hillsdale — S0294 — Hillsdale
The plat for the village of Hillsdale was filed in July, 1839, though the first settlement probably occurred a few years previously. Before that time this area had been inhabited mainly by a band of Potawatomi Indians led by their chief, Baw Beese. . . . — Map (db m33598) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Hillsdale — 230 — Hillsdale College
In 1844 a group of Freewill Baptists organized Michigan Central College at Spring Arbor. This college was the first in Michigan to grant degrees to women. Moved to Hillsdale in 1853 and chartered by the legislature in 1855, the school was renamed . . . — Map (db m34216) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Hillsdale — L1985 — Saint Peter's Episcopal Church
In 1839 Episcopalians held the first church service in Hillsdale. Saint Peter's Church was organized in 1844. The original Gothic Revival church dates from 1859 and forms the sanctuary of the present church. Saint Peter's housed the first pipe organ . . . — Map (db m33602) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Hillsdale — L1645 — St. Anthony's Catholic Church
The origins of Catholicism in Hillsdale County date to the 1840s when Irishmen who worked for the Southern Railroad settled here. In 1853 the Reverend Joseph Kindekens of Adrian and eighty-five people organized St. Anthony's parish. The former . . . — Map (db m33601) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Hillsdale — Sultana
Dedicated to the memory of the 280 Michigan Civil War soldiers who lost their lives in America's worst maritime disaster, the sinking of the steamship "Sultana." These men were among more than 2,200 Union soldiers returning home from Confederate . . . — Map (db m33960) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Hillsdale — The Will Carleton Poor House
This stone building is a part of the poorhouse that inspired Will Carleton's well-known poem "Over the Hill to the Poorhouse." — Map (db m32361) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Jonesville — Father Gabriel Richard
Priest Educator-Statesman Secured funds in 1825 through the United States Congress for the survey of the Great Sauk Trail now U.S. Highway 112 thus opening this artery of civilization into the west — Map (db m32219) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Jonesville — 84 — Grace Episcopal Church
William N. Lyster, Irish-born missionary, preached in Jonesville in 1836, and Darius Barker organized the parish in 1838. A church featuring Classical and Gothic styling was begun in 1844 and consecrated by Bishop Samuel McCoskry in 1848. Panelling . . . — Map (db m32190) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Jonesville — 500 — Grosvenor House
Side 1 Completed in 1874, this structure of High Victorian Italianate design is one of the most magnificent residences in Michigan. The interior, an excellent example of a living museum of the 1870s, contains thirty-two rooms with . . . — Map (db m33656) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Somerset Center — S0624 — W. H. L. McCourtie / W. H. L. McCourtie Estate
W. H. L. McCourtie Somerset Center native W. H. L. McCourtie (1872-1933) was introduced to the cement industry by W. F. Cowham of Jackson in 1897. McCourtie soon went to Dallas, Texas, where he made a fortune speculating in oil and established . . . — Map (db m33416) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — "That a Ladies Course be Organized"
Side 1 The first women at the Michigan Agricultural College enrolled in 1896 in the "women's course," taught by Edith F. McDermott, Professor of Domestic Economy and Household Science. In 1899, the Michigan Legislature . . . — Map (db m106835) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — S572 — Alice B. Cowles House
Side 1 The Alice B. Cowles House, built in 1857, is the oldest building on the Michigan State University campus. Built as a "Farm Cottage" on Faculty Row from bricks made of clay from the banks of the Red Cedar River, it was originally the . . . — Map (db m106907) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — L629 — Bigelow-Kuhn-Thomas House
By 1986 this Greek Revival house was the only privately-owned pre-Civil War house still used as a residence in East Lansing. Horace Bigelow (c. 1822-1891) built it in 1849. According to the 1874 Atlas of Ingham County, Bigelow was "a farmer, . . . — Map (db m106962) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — Botanical Laboratory
At this location, near the W.J. Beal Botanical Garden (1873), the Botanical Laboratory stood from 1879 until it burned on March 20, 1890. Watson and Arnold of Lansing designed this Gothic-inspired, wooden structure as the first botanical . . . — Map (db m106817) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — L2205 — College Field
Side 1 In 1900 about 625 students attended the State Agricultural College, known commonly as M.A.C. The school was the precursor to Michigan State University. Making a new commitment to serious intercollegiate athletic competition, the . . . — Map (db m106931) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — L1894 — Collegeville / East Lansing
Collegeville In 1849 when D. Robert Burcham settled in this vicinity, Chippewa and Ottawa Indians lived along the Red Cedar River. Burcham journeyed here on the Indian trail that became the Grand River Road, also known as the Lansing-Howell . . . — Map (db m102977) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — Dora Hall Stockman — (1872 - 1948) — Historic Women of Michigan
Elected to the State Board of Agriculture in 1919, Dora Hall Stockman was the first woman to hold an elective office in the state of Michigan. She was the first woman in the United States to be on the Board of Control of a Land-Grant Institution, . . . — Map (db m107365) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — S327 — Harry J. Eustace Hall
Famous horticulturist and educator, Liberty Hyde Bailey, designed this building as the first separate horticulture laboratory in America. Completed in 1888, the structure contained rooms for classes and botanical experiments. It exemplified Bailey's . . . — Map (db m106911) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — Justin S. Morrill Hall of Agriculture
Side 1 When completed in 1909, Agriculture Hall was the grandest structure at what that year officially became known as Michigan Agricultural College. Invoking antiquity with its massive concrete Tuscan columns and neoclassical . . . — Map (db m106832) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — L2094 — Masonic Temple
Local Masons organized in 1915 and promptly hired Lansing architect, Samuel D. Butterworth, a fellow Mason, to design a meeting hall. Butterworth rejected the practice of designing Masonic halls as elaborate classical temples, and instead blended . . . — Map (db m102986) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — L1338 — Michigan Automobile Dealers Association
In 1920 the Michigan Automotive Trade Association was founded in Detroit. On May 19, 1921, the group was incorporated, with the following officers: G.S. Garber, President: H.H. Shuart Secretary; and Clark Graves, Treasurer. The association's purpose . . . — Map (db m102983) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — S649 — Michigan State Medical Society / Michigan State Medical Society Headquarters
Michigan State Medical Society In 1819 five physicians organized the Michigan Medical Society in Detroit. Its purpose was "to examine medical students and certify those so deemed as doctors." The group reorganized in Ann Arbor as the . . . — Map (db m102984) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — 1 — Michigan State University
On this site stood College Hall, first building in the United States erected for the teaching of scientific agriculture. Here began the first college of its kind in America, and the model for Land-Grant colleges established under the Morrill Act . . . — Map (db m106921) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — L1502 — Monsignor Jerome V. MacEachin / St. Thomas Aquinas Roman Catholic Parish
Monsignor Jerome V. MacEachin Affectionately known as Father Mac, the Reverend Monsignor Jerome V. MacEachin (1904-1987) was associated with Lansing area Catholics for nearly 45 years. A native of Ubly, he was ordained in 1932. Father Mac . . . — Map (db m102974) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — Sleepy Hollow
Side 1 The small depression between Beaumont Tower and the Music Practice Building, known today as Sleepy Hollow, is the last vestige of a small, spring-fed brook entering the campus from the north and draining into the Red . . . — Map (db m106834) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — The Nation's Pioneer Land-Grant University
Left Panel The Agricultural College of the State of Michigan was founded on February 12, 1855, as a bold experiment in higher education. The College opened the doors of higher education to the common man - and, later, woman - . . . — Map (db m106820) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — The Rededication of the Beaumont Tower Bells
On May 3, 1996, the bells of Beaumont Tower rang again after having been silenced by wear and tear since 1987. Spartans everywhere rejoiced. In July 1995, the MSU Board of Trustees approved a renovation plan for the tower and carillon. A . . . — Map (db m106923) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — The Spartan
(Plaque on Statue Base) Leonard D. Jungwirth (American, 1903-1963) MSU faculty member, Department of Art, 1940-1963 Original terra cotta sculpture, 1945 Bronze cast from original, 2005 Dedicated on October 8, 2005 In 1926 . . . — Map (db m107358) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — W.J. Beal Botanical Garden
Side 1 Botany pioneer William James Beal was born March 11, 1833 in Adrian, Michigan. Taking up teaching after earning degrees from the University of Michigan, Harvard University, and the University of Chicago, he was named . . . — Map (db m106792) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — Walter Adams Field
Walter Adams (1922-1998), master teacher and one of the foremost antitrust economists of his generation, served from April 1, 1969, until January 1, 1970, as 13th President of Michigan State University. Prolific author and frequent witness before . . . — Map (db m107335) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — Women's Building — Justin Morrill Hall
Left Panel In 1870, what was then called State Agricultural College admitted its first 10 women, offering them the same physically and academically demanding courses offered to men. The Women's Building was completed on . . . — Map (db m106818) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Haslett — L154 — Haslett
Settlement on Pine Lake, now Lake Lansing, began in the 1830s, but real growth came after the opening of the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad in 1877. Easy access prompted the Nemoka Spritual Association to begin in 1883 the first of a long series . . . — Map (db m106964) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Haslett — L1015 — Williamston Center United Methodist Church
The Williamston Center United Methodist Church is the out-growth of a Methodist class that met in a local schoolhouse before this structure was completed. On November 5, 1877, members of the congregation pledged money to build this church. Merrit . . . — Map (db m106405) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Meridian Township — Chief Okemos — of the Chippewas
Erected to the memory of Chief Okemos of the Chippewas whose tribe once occupied the ground upon which this school now stands. * Brave in battle * Wise in council * * Honorable in peace * After his people became . . . — Map (db m103011) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Meridian Township — L2133 — Chief Okemos / Okemos Village marker
Chief Okemos Okemos was born in Shiawassee County around 1775. He distinguished himself at the Battle of Sandusky during the War of 1812 and won the respect of the Saginaw Chippewa people. Chief Okemos later signed several treaties on behalf . . . — Map (db m84683) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Williamston — L2260 — Downtown Historic District
(Side 1) Williamston grew where two Native American trails crossed. In 1834, settlers Hiram and Joseph Putnam built the north-south road that became Putnam Street. Construction of the Grand River Turnpike from Detroit to Grand Rapids in . . . — Map (db m84507) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Williamston — L1918 — Saint Mary Parish
(Side 1) Beginning in the 1850s, Williamston Catholics worshipped with visiting priests. They often traveled ten miles by carriage or horseback on rutted, muddy roads to Saint Patrick Church in Woodhull (present-day Shaftsburg) to worship . . . — Map (db m84588) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Williamston Township — 31 — Grand River Trail
The old Grand River Indian Trail, now US-16, became a plank road in 1848. A toll gate and Red Bridge Post Office were located here. Nearby were homes of John Mullett, pioneer surveyor, and John Forester, explorer, north Michigan mine pioneer. . . . — Map (db m84681) HM
Michigan (Isabella County), Mount Pleasant — 133 — Central Michigan University
Privately organized by citizens of Mt. Pleasant in 1892, Central became Michigan's second state-supported normal school in 1895. This met a long-felt need for a state school in this region. At first the college was designed to prepare rural and . . . — Map (db m45876) HM
Michigan (Isabella County), Mount Pleasant — L223 — Doughty House
Built about 1865 this oldest remaining house in Mt. Pleasant was purchased by Wilkinson Doughty in 1869. An early hardware and dry goods merchant, Doughty was a town trustee, and a founder of Central Michigan Normal School, now Central Michigan . . . — Map (db m91750) HM
Michigan (Isabella County), Mount Pleasant — L1298 — Indian Cemetery
In the 1850s, the Methodist Episcopal (Indian) Church established the Bradley Mission School and Indian Cemetery in this area. The cemetery served the mission until the late 1860s. Only a few grave markers are visible and it is not known how many . . . — Map (db m91737) HM
Michigan (Isabella County), Mount Pleasant — Isabella County Courthouse and Jail
A few years after the construction of the Isabella County Courthouse, pictured in the background, the county jail was erected on the courthouse square. Sanborn Insurance maps for 1884 show the jail at this location. This potcard view, dating from . . . — Map (db m98920) HM
Michigan (Isabella County), Mount Pleasant — Isabella County Courthouse Postcards
For all of its importance, very few postcard views exist of the courthouse. This is one of the best cards, a view from the mid nineteen thirties. After about six years of discussion a major addition to the courthouse took place in 1926. The addition . . . — Map (db m98922) HM
Michigan (Isabella County), Mount Pleasant — L2080 — Isabella County Seat / The Founding of Mount Pleasant

Isabella County Seat The state legislature organized Isabella County on February 11, 1859. A commission appointed by the governor established the county seat as Isabella Centre. To encourage settlement on land he owned in Isabella . . . — Map (db m91762) HM
Michigan (Isabella County), Mount Pleasant — L1657 — Sacred Heart Academy
In 1889, Sacred Heart Academy was organized as a school for St. Charles Church, which was established in 1872. That year a new church was built here and the parish was renamed Most Sacred Heart of Jesus. Father John J. Crowley moved the old church . . . — Map (db m91751) HM
Michigan (Isabella County), Mount Pleasant — L189 — St. John's Episcopal Church
A mission was organized in Mount Pleasant in 1876, and in 1882 the present building was begun. Local businessman William N. Brown contributed most of the building funds, and the bricks and lumber were made in his plants. The interior design of St. . . . — Map (db m91749) HM
Michigan (Isabella County), Mount Pleasant — The Isabella County Court House was already over thirty years old...
when this postcard view looking northeast from near present day Main and Mosher Streets round-about. At the time of its completion in 1877 the courthouse was only large public building in the county. The seed money to build the courthouse came . . . — Map (db m98925) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Brooklyn — L853 — Brooklyn Presbyterian Church
Thirteen lay members founded the First Presbyterian Church of Brooklyn in 1838. The Reverend C.W. Gurney became the church's first installed pastor in 1841. Dedicatory services for the church were held on October 7, 1845. Built with hand-hewn beams . . . — Map (db m84885) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Brooklyn — L29 — Brooklyn's Founder
This village was founded by the Rev. Calvin Swain, who filed the first land claim on June 16, 1832. Elder Swain, who had been a chaplain in the War of 1812, was a Baptist minister and the postmaster in Adamsville, New York, before coming to Michigan . . . — Map (db m84886) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Concord — L2068 — Concord Universalists / First Universalist Church
Concord Universalists (Side 1) After migrating from the East, primarily New York State, thirteen families brought their faith to Concord and formed a Universalist Society in 1854. Society members erected this building in 1866 and . . . — Map (db m78876) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Concord — L1842 — Paddock-Hubbard House
Side 1 In 1843 New York natives Alfred and Ruth Paddock migrated to Concord Township. Within two years they erected this Greek Revival house, reminiscent of those in their home state. A prominent merchant, Alfred Paddock (1805-1870) owned . . . — Map (db m78877) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Grass Lake — 233 — The Jackson Area
Pioneers in the 1830's by the tens of thousands traveled west over the Territorial Road (roughly parallel to I-94). Many of them stopped in the Jackson area to take up land. Jackson County was named after Andrew Jackson and organized in 1832. The . . . — Map (db m86567) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Spring Arbor — 11 — Michigan Central College Residence Hall — Spring Arbor Historical Committee
This building, constructed in 1845 and pictured here in 1903, served as a residence hall of Michigan Central College. The connecting living quarters t the right were built in 1873 by Moses L. Hart, father of Rev. E.P. Hart. Moses Hart, the . . . — Map (db m86569) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Spring Arbor Township — L1910 — Huron Potawatomi Village / Spring Arbor
Huron Potawatomi Village As early as 1825 large numbers of Potawatomi encamped at this location. One of the most prominent Huron Potatwatomi located here was Wabkezhik (Whapcazeek), who was wounded during the 1811 Battle of Tippicanoe Creek . . . — Map (db m84726) HM
Michigan (Lake County), Baldwin — 181 — Lake County
This county was originally set off in 1840 and first named Aishcum after a well-known Potawatomi chief. In 1843 the name was changed to Lake. For three decades it was attached to neighboring counties until 1871 when settlement was sufficient to . . . — Map (db m106842) HM
Michigan (Lapeer County), Columbiaville — L750 — Columbiaville Depot
In the nineteenth century, railroads provided the prime transportation link between small villages and the rest of the country. The first Columbiaville depot was built near this site in 1872. In 1893 William Peter (1824-1899) replaced that structure . . . — Map (db m101541) HM
Michigan (Lapeer County), Columbiaville — James Richardson, D.O. a generous gentleman.
Dr. Richardson practiced Osteopathic family medicine and surgery in Lapeer and Genesee counties for 33 years. He was an ardent conservationist. He arranged for the planting of a half a million trees in this area. He was a founding member of . . . — Map (db m101545) HM
Michigan (Lapeer County), Columbiaville — L751 — The William Peter Mansion
This structure, completed in 1896, was the home of William Peter (1824-1899). Peter, a prominent Columbiaville businessman, was a rags-to-riches character. Around 1847 he came to the area from Germany via New York state, a penniless immigrant. . . . — Map (db m101547) HM
Michigan (Lapeer County), Columbiaville — L1162 — United Methodist Church
This handsome Romanesque structure was completed in 1897 for the Methodist Protestant Church of Columbiaville. Local Methodists, with the assistance of circuit riders, had organized the church some forty years earlier. In 1865 the congregation . . . — Map (db m101546) HM
Michigan (Lapeer County), Dryden — L480 — Dryden Depot
Side 1 The area now known as Dryden was settled in 1834. By 1880 it was a hamlet of about 300 people. A marketing center surrounded by rich farm land, it turned to the railroad to increase its prosperity. Its citizens, spurred by the local . . . — Map (db m109865) HM
Michigan (Lapeer County), Dryden — L669 — Ladies Library Hall
The Ladies Library Association was established in 1871 to provide reading material at a small cost to the community. In the beginning the association only allowed married women to be members and charged an annual fee of one dollar. The women of the . . . — Map (db m109815) HM
Michigan (Lapeer County), Lapeer — 175 — Lapeer County
Set off by Gov. Cass in 1822, this county took its name from the French La Pierre, a translation of the Indian name for the Flint River. Settlers began to arrive in 1828. The county seat, founded in 1831, was also named Lapeer. Organization . . . — Map (db m101532) HM
Michigan (Lapeer County), Lapeer — L2069 — Lapeer Public Library
Founded in 1859, the Lapeer Ladies Library Association gathered the community's first collection of books for lending. The popularity of the collection led the Carnegie Foundation to offer $10,000 to build a public library in 1916. In part through . . . — Map (db m101536) HM
Michigan (Lapeer County), Lapeer — Marguerite deAngeli Branch Library — Literary Landmarks Register
Born in 1899, Lapeer native Marguerite deAngeli was a significant author and illustrator of 20th century children's literature. In 1950, she was awarded the Newberry Medal for The Door in the Wall, and was one of the first inductees into the . . . — Map (db m101535) HM
Michigan (Lapeer County), Lapeer — Protecting the Impaired
The Michigan Legislature passed a bill in 1913 authorizing sterilization of mentally impaired persons confined in public institutions, even over the objections of a parent or guardian. The law was adopted to prevent those so confined from ever . . . — Map (db m101533) HM
Michigan (Lapeer County), Lapeer — L2196 — The Tuttle House
Lapeer lumberman Columbus Tuttle and his second wife, Linda, had this Queen Anne house built around 1890. Tuttle's planing mill provided lumber for the county's earliest homes and businesses. After lumbering declined during the 1880s, Tuttle's mills . . . — Map (db m101537) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Addison — S0297 — Woodstock Manual Labor Institute
Prior Foster, an Ohio Negro, began this school "in the woods" in 1844 and four years later it was incorporated. Designed to serve "colored people and others," the Institute taught a full range of subjects and was one of the nation's first integrated . . . — Map (db m34694) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — 227 — Adrian College
Chartered on March 28, 1859, Adrian College traces its origins back to a Wesleyan Methodist theological institute founded at Leoni, Michigan in 1845. This institution later became Michigan Union College. Strongly antislavery in its sentiments, the . . . — Map (db m102933) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — L2263 — Adrian Fire Department / Adrian Engine House No. 1
Adrian Fire Department Adrian founded its fire department in 1841. By 1851, it had 102 male volunteers, who served in two companies. They pulled hand pumpers and hose carts to fires, using water from city-built reservoirs. In 1867, the city . . . — Map (db m102861) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — L1844 — Adrian Monthly Meetinghouse / Raisin Valley Friends Church
Adrian Monthly Meetinghouse Quakers from New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania settled in southeastern Michigan in the early nineteenth century. In June 1831 Adrian Quakers held their first meeting in the home of Darius Comstock. In 1834 . . . — Map (db m102686) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Adrian's Governors
William Greenly was born in New York and came to Adrian in 1836. He became a lawyer and in 1838 was elected a state senator on the Democratic ticket. In 1846 Greenly was elected lieutenant governor. When Governor Alpheus Felch resigned a year . . . — Map (db m104377) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Adrian's Prominent Leaders
Thomas Cooley was the greatest lawyer and judge ever to come out of Lenawee County and is generally considered the finest legal mind Michigan produced during the nineteenth century. During the 1840s and 1850s, Cooley partnered with several local . . . — Map (db m104514) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — S679 — Camp Williams / Fourth Michigan Volunteer Infantry
Camp Williams At the outbreak of the Civil War in early 1861, the trustees of Adrian College offered the use of campus buildings and grounds to the Fourth Michigan Volunteer Infantry for training. This became known as Camp Williams. The . . . — Map (db m102927) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Charles Miller Croswell
In memory of Charles Miller Croswell Born at Newburgh New York 31 October 1825 Died 13 December 1886 Secretary of the State Convention at Jackson where the Republican Party of Michigan was organized Mayor of Adrian State . . . — Map (db m102863) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Cooley Law Office — Michigan Legal Milestones
Here on the south side of Maumee Street in 1848, Thomas M. Cooley, a giant of the Michigan Law, established his first law office. He was a partner in the firm of Beaman, Beecher and Cooley and then established a law firm with Charles M. Croswell, . . . — Map (db m102922) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — L368 — County Courthouse
Lenawee County was first settled in 1824 at Tecumseh, which the Territorial Legislature subsequently made the county seat. Pioneers, mostly from upper New York State, then established Blissfield and Adrian, the later called Logan. The largest Indian . . . — Map (db m102761) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Frank Navin & The Detroit Tigers
Frank Navin was the most famous Adrian native involved in professional baseball in his day. Born in Adrian in 1871, Navin went to Detroit in 1889, where he worked as a bookkeeper. He eventually became the right-hand man to Sanuel F. Angus, the . . . — Map (db m104549) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — HB12 — Governor Charles M. Croswell / Croswell House
Governor Charles M. Croswell Charles Miller Croswell (1825-1886) was born in New York. A lawyer and civic leader, he was the secretary of the Republican Party's founding convention in Jackson. He also drafted Michigan's act ratifying the . . . — Map (db m102862) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — History of Kiwanis Trail and Trestle Park
Early in 1974, with much foresight, the City of Adrian adopted a Land Use Plan that called for the acquisition of all river bank property between Riverside and Island Parks. The goal was to connect the two major city parks with a walkway. A major . . . — Map (db m104477) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — History of the Adrian Kiwanis Club
The Adrian Kiwanis Club was begun in 1940, some 35 years after Kiwanis was founded in Detroit. The Adrian club was chartered by the Hillsdale Kiwanis Club and Charter Night was September 25, 1940 with an initial membership of 34. The purpose of . . . — Map (db m104414) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Laura Haviland — 1808 - 1898
Laura Haviland, affectionately known as Aunt Laura, is probably the best-known and most-admired person who ever lived in Lenawee County. The reason for this admiration and acclaim lies in Mrs. Haviland's life-long devotion to helping others and in . . . — Map (db m102884) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Laura Smith Haviland — 1808 - 1898
Front Side Erected by the Adrian Woman's Christian Temperance Union and the Haviland Memorial Association "I was thirsty and ye gave me drink." Matthew XXV 35 Left Side A tribute to a life consecrated to the . . . — Map (db m103220) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — L2102 — Lenawee County Fairgrounds
The Agricultural Society of Lenawee County organized and held its first fair in 1839, making it one of Michigans oldest county fairs. The fair originally took place in downtown Adrian between River Street and the River Raisin. In 1879 the grandstand . . . — Map (db m102733) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — L2047 — Oakwood Cemetery
With its parklike setting, wooded pathways and variety of monuments, Oakwood Cemetery is an outstanding Victorian Era cemetery. Local citizens, including Adrian founder Addison Comstock, created Oakwood Cemetery in 1848. Originally 22 acres, by 1968 . . . — Map (db m102687) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Professional Baseball in Adrian
Adrian got to experience professional baseball in 1894 when the Adrian Light Guard baseball team was formed to play in the Michigan Baseball League. Although the league lasted only one year, Adrian fielded great players such as star pitcher and . . . — Map (db m104596) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — L1381 — Second Baptist Church
In 1866 Laura Smith Haviland, a former abolitionist, persuaded several African Americans in Washington, DC. to migrate to Adrian. Three years later the Reverend A. I. J. Jackson led the settlers in founding the Second Baptist Church. The . . . — Map (db m102762) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — South Hall Bell — Presented by the Class of 1984
Installed atop South Hall in 1872, this bell marked the pace of life at Adrian College for many years. Upon the demolition of South Hall in 1965, the bell was placed in the Carillon Tower which marks the location of South Hall. We, the members . . . — Map (db m103184) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Spirit of Cooperation
The Adrian Kiwanis Club and the City of Adrian have a rich history of working together to make Adrian a better community. With the assistance of the City in site selection, and through significant public support, the Kiwanis Riverview Terrace, a . . . — Map (db m104500) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — L887 — St. John's Lutheran Church
The Reverend William Hatterstaedt helped organize St. John's Lutheran Church in 1847. Until their first church was completed in 1849, the original congregation, fourteen German families, met in a church that belonged to the Episcopalians. Services . . . — Map (db m102923) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — L671 — St. Joseph's Catholic Church
German immigrants desiring to practice Catholicism in their native language founded St. Joseph's parish in 1863. Father John G. Ehrenstrasser became the first pastor in 1865. This handsome brick and stone church, the second house of worship for this . . . — Map (db m102734) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — The Antislavery - Underground Railroad Movement — 1830 - 1860 — Lenawee County, MI
What was the Underground Railroad? The Underground Railroad existed from around 1830 to the Civil War (1860). It was a secret (underground) network of people organized on Moral grounds to help slaves travel to Canada to find freedom from . . . — Map (db m103201) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — The Cane Ceremony
The Cane Ceremony, a traditional part of the Adrian College Commencement, has a rich and colorful heritage. As depicted in this 1940's era drawing by Will Cairns, each Adrian College graduating class ties a ribbon in its class colors to the . . . — Map (db m102941) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — The First House Built in Adrian
This tablet marks the site of the first house built in Adrian in 1826 by Addison J. Comstock founder of the city. — Map (db m104402) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Coshocton — Visitor Center - 1992
The present Visitor Center opened in 1992, relocating from a smaller building. The Visitor Center houses a fifty-four seat theater, an exhibit hall with canal-related information, visitor services and offices for support staff. The Founders Gallery . . . — Map (db m97312) HM
Ohio (Fairfield County), Lancaster — The Original Lancaster Methodist's Bell
...commissioned in 1849 to ring the praise of Almighty God from the steeple of the old M.E. Church on South Jackson (High) Street, this bell was relocated by the congregation to their present church in September 1907. Eventually displaced by . . . — Map (db m97373) HM
Ohio (Huron County), Fitchville — 2-39 — Golden Age Nursing Home Fire / Killed in the Fire
Golden Age Nursing Home Fire Located one mile north of Fitchville, the Golden Age Nursing Home caught fire and burned to the ground at 4:45 a.m., November 23, 1963, killing 63 of 84 patients. Fire departments from New London, Greenwich, . . . — Map (db m97310) HM
Tennessee (Anderson County), Norris — Civil War in Anderson County — "Skulking bushwhackers"
Divided loyalties in Anderson County, as elsewhere in East Tennessee, often erupted in violence. It was commonplace for guerillas on both sides to raid farms and capture opposing sympathizers. In the county seat of Clinton, Confederates . . . — Map (db m119021) HM
Tennessee (Jefferson County), Dandridge — J. C. Turnley's Mill Place Grindstone
Around 1820 to 1837, this large 38-inch diameter grindstone was used at John Cunningham (J.C.) Turnley's farm known as the Mill Place. J.C. Turnley was the founder of Oak Grove and built the Mill Place upstream from Hay's Ferry on the south side of . . . — Map (db m118844) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — 9 — Archie Campbell / Chet Atkins — Cradle of Country Music Tour
Archie Campbell Archie Campbell, a beloved comedian in the country music family, launched his career as an announcer for WNOX in 1937. After a brief stint on Chattanooga radio and service in World War II, Campbell returned to Knoxville and . . . — Map (db m118603) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — Chisolm's Tavern — c 1790s
Chisholm's Tavern was the name of a tavern (more defined as an Inn) in the 1790s located near the site of the Dwight Kessel Garage. The tavern was established by John Chisholm, an early settler important to the development of Knoxville. Chisholm was . . . — Map (db m118582) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — Death of General William P. Sanders — November 19, 1863
U.S. General William P. Sanders died in the bridal suite of this building which was the Lamar House hotel at the time of the Civil War. On the previous afternoon Sanders was mortally wounded as his cavalry fought on Kingston Road, delaying the . . . — Map (db m118761) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — 1E 117 — Desegregation of the University of Tennessee
During a federal lawsuit in 1952, the University of Tennessee opened enrollment in the graduate and law programs of the institution to African Americans. Gene Mitchell Gray enrolled in graduate school, and Lincoln Blakeney enrolled in the College . . . — Map (db m118342) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — 19 — Elvis Presley — Cradle of Country Music Tour
At a small store on Market Square, a Knoxville record merchant helped launch the most famous career in musical history. Sam Morrison of Bell Sales Company chose to promote Elvis Presley's That's All Right, Mama by playing it on loudspeakers to the . . . — Map (db m118602) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — From Scuffletown to Sunsphere
For six months in 1982, the world visited Knoxville's Second Creek valley. The World's Fair attracted more than 11 million visitors to the city. An amusement park was near the mouth of Second Creek and international pavilions filled 70 acres between . . . — Map (db m118571) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — Gay Street — The Center of Celebrations — Betsey Beeler Creekmore
July 4, 1793, was a gala day in the tiny Territorial Capital. The Gazette ecstatically reported that, at 2 p.m., the newly arrived Federal troops paraded, and fired a cannon to salute; at 4 o'clock, all the citizens partook of an elegant . . . — Map (db m118451) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — 1E 115 — James Park House
The Foundation for this house was laid by Governor John Sevier on a block bought from Knoxville founder James White in 1797. James Park, pioneer merchant and Knoxville's second mayor, completed the main house in 1812. His son, Dr. James Park . . . — Map (db m118398) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — 1 — Knoxville's Old Custom House / Fiddlin' Bob Taylor — Cradle of Country Music Tour
Knoxville's Old Custom House You are standing in front of Knoxville's first federal building, the Old Custom House (1874). The Custom House originally housed the federal court, excise offices, post office, and later, Tennessee Valley . . . — Map (db m118517) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — Krutch Park — Charles E. Krutch — 1887-1981
Krutch Park is the legacy of Charles Krutch, the last survivor of an eccentric and talented family. When they first arrived in Knoxville in the 1850's the proud German clan spelled their name Krόtsch (the name is pronounced Krootch). Several of the . . . — Map (db m118446) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — 1E 118 — Land Grant University
In 1867, by resolution of the U.S. Congress, Tennessee became eligible to designate an institution to teach areas of learning related to agriculture and the mechanic arts and to receive the proceeds from the sale of federal land as prescribed by the . . . — Map (db m118354) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — Neyland Stadium
Neyland Stadium, one of the largest stadiums in North America, is named for General Robert Neyland (1892-1962). This football coach who, in his 21 seasons at U.T., led the Vols through nine undefeated seasons and brought the Vols a National . . . — Map (db m118618) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — Patrick Sullivan's Saloon
Irish immigrant Patrick Sullivan (1841-1925), came to Knoxville with his family in the 1850s to work on the new railroad. Sullivan, a Union veteran, established his first bar near this spot soon after the Civil War, and built this larger, grander . . . — Map (db m118708) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — 3 — Roy Acuff & Hank Williams — Andrew Johnson Hotel — Cradle of Country Music Tour
The Andrew Johnson Hotel's top floor was the original site for WNOX's live country music variety show The Midday Merry-Go-Round. An early star of the show was a little known fiddler named Roy Acuff. The rowdy fans and musicians who crowded the . . . — Map (db m118604) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — 17 — St. James Hotel — Cradle of Country Music Tour
The St. James Hotel located on Wall Avenue, off of Market Square, was the site of several significant recordings with the Brunswick-Balke-Collander Company in 1929 and 1930. The Tennessee Ramblers, a family band from nearby Clinton, Tennessee, . . . — Map (db m118514) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — 1E 28 — Staub's Theatre
Built on this spot by Peter Staub, native of Switzerland, and opened October 1, 1872. In excellence and popularity it rivaled theatres of New Orleans and Richmond. Adolph Ochs, later publisher of New York Times, was its first chief usher. — Map (db m118729) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — 8 — Tennessee Ernie Ford — WROL Studios — Cradle of Country Music Tour
While hosting the WROL studios in the late 1940s and 1950s, this building served as the center of a new movement in country music - bluegrass. The legendary duo Flatt and Scruggs used WROL as their home base for radio performances and touring. The . . . — Map (db m118462) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — 5 — The Everly Brothers — Cradle of Country Music Tour
In the 1950s, this building was home to the WROL-AM studios. The Everly Brothers performed here until they left the station in a dispute with Cas Walker, the station's famed promoter and show host. After leaving WROL, Phil and Don Everly were . . . — Map (db m118515) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — 2 — The Knoxville Girl — The Louvin Brothers — Cradle of Country Music Tour
The Knoxville Girl and other adaptations of folk ballads were among the earliest popular recordings in country and bluegrass music. The Knoxville Girl was among the early national recording hits for WNOX radio stars, The Louvin Brothers. In . . . — Map (db m118770) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — 11 — The Midday Merry-Go-Round — Cradle of Country Music Tour
The remains of this building mark the site that once served as WNOX's studio and "radiotorium" from the late 1930s until the 1950s. The Midday Merry-Go-Round, hosted by Lowell Blanchard, was broadcast six days a week at lunch time and was the most . . . — Map (db m118839) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — 4 — The Tennessee Barn Dance — Cradle of Country Music Tour
Known for its beauty and acoustics, Staub's Opera House was operating under the name of the Lyric Theatre when it played host in the 1940s to WNOX's legendary live weekend show, The Tennessee Barn Dance, which featured such local performances as . . . — Map (db m118719) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — 1E 29 — White's Mill
A small tub-mill on First Creek, nearby, for grinding corn, was the first industrial establishment in this region. It was built by Gen. James White in 1786. For this reason the infant settlement was called "White's Mill" as often as "White's Fort." — Map (db m118663) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), DeForest — 32 — Andreas Dahl — 1844-1923
Andreas Dahl came to DeForest from Valdres, Norway in 1869. For more than a decade as an itinerant photographer in southern Wisconsin, he took pictures that captured the essence of life at that time. His studio stood to the north of this site and . . . — Map (db m37005) HM

880 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 680
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.