Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1397 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1197
 
Pennsylvania Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Wintermantel, June 15, 2016
Pennsylvania Marker
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — George's Creek Valley
During colonial exploration and settlement the valley provided a route to the western frontier. In 1753, preceding the French and Indian War, George Washington traveled this route to deliver Gov. Dinwiddie's order that the French abandon their . . . — Map (db m84736) HM
Michigan (Alger County), Au Train — S0121 — Lake Superior
Le lac superieur the French called it, meaning only that geographically it lay above Lake Huron. In size, however, Lake Superior stands above all other fresh water lakes in the world. The intrepid Frenchman Brule discovered it around 1622. . . . — Map (db m41968) HM
New York (Allegany County), Alma — B.J. Thomas — (1843-1918)
Driller & contractor from PA, who earned nickname of "Dry Hole Ben" by seldom promoting successful oil wells. His continued faith in paying quantities of oil in Allegany County let him drill many historical wells. Including the "Wildcat Well" on . . . — Map (db m65539) HM
New York (Allegany County), Angelica — Angelica Cemetery
Site gift of Church family, 1801; First burial, 1803; among noted men of Allegany Co. Buried here are; Major M. Van Campen, Capt. P. Church, Judge M. Grover and Rev. C. Fairbank — Map (db m65538) HM
New York (Allegany County), Bolivar — Early Cemetery
Used as a burial ground for pioneer families: Lesuer, Tyler, Cowles, Kellogg, Mead, Daniels, Beers, Davie stones date from the 1820's. — Map (db m88284) HM
New York (Allegany County), Bolivar — Lesuer House
Early settler Eli Lesuer bought this property 1834. Elected 1st town assessor 1825, school commissioner 1834, and path master 1846. — Map (db m88283) HM
New York (Allegany County), Bolivar — This Is Oil Country! — Historic New York
The presence of oil in this area of the Allegheny foothills has been known by white men since 1627, when a French missionary reported that the Indians used "a good kind of oil" for medicinal purposes from the nearby Seneca Oil Spring. Production . . . — Map (db m88286) HM
New York (Allegany County), Ceres — Ceres School
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010 by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m88289) HM
New York (Allegany County), Richburg — One Mile East of this Spot
Stands a monument marking the site of the first commercial well in the Richburg Oil Field. Completed April 27, 1881. This marker was erected by local oil producers and the site provided by the Richburg Board of Education. — Map (db m88333) HM
New York (Allegany County), Wellsville — Triangle No. 1
First oil well drilled in Allegany County drilled by O.P. Taylor 1879 — Map (db m65540) HM
New York (Allegany County), Willing — First Town Meeting
Town of Willing held at home of Hiram York March 2, 1852 — Map (db m88288) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Littlestown — Pennsylvania
Founded 1681 by William Penn as a Quaker Commonwealth. Birthplace of The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States — Map (db m95201) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Avalon — Davis Island Lock and Dam
Below this bridge was the first lock and dam built (1878-1885) on the Ohio River. This was the world's largest movable dam yet constructed, and included the world's first rolling lock gate and widest lock chamber. Built and operated by the United . . . — Map (db m40201) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Avalon — Greenstone United Methodist Church — Historic Landmark
Greenstone United Methodist Church 1906 — Map (db m97624) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Bellevue — Mount Assisi — Historical Landmark
Mount Assisi 1927 Edward J. Weber, architect — Map (db m81964) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Ben Avon — Dickson Log House
Built circa 1797 by Ben Avon's First Family. Reconstructed in 1984 using the original logs. — Map (db m60570) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Bethel Park — Bethel Presbyterian Church
Founded 1776, in the Old Stone Manse in South Park, by Reverend John McMillan, pioneer minister and educator. It is the mother of five nearby churches and has given its name to the community. In the cemetery, 14 Revolutionary War soldiers from this . . . — Map (db m42092) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Braddock — The Great Steel Strike of 1919
In the largest work stoppage to that date, over 350,000 U.S. workers went off the job. Reverend Adalbert Kazincy, pastor of Saint Michael's here, championed the strikers and provided the church as a meeting place. The strike failed after 15 weeks. — Map (db m47044) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Bridgeville — Bower Hill
Site of General John Neville's mansion, burned to the ground by insurgents during a major escalation of violence in the Whiskey Rebellion, July 16-17, 1794. General Neville was Inspector of Revenue under President Washington. In the two-day battle, . . . — Map (db m40393) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Carnegie — Honus Wagner — (1874-1955)
The "Flying Dutchman" was hailed as baseball's greatest shortstop and one of its finest all-around players. A lifelong Carnegie resident, born to German immigrants. Played for Louisville Colonels, 1897-1899, and the Pittsburgh Pirates from . . . — Map (db m40682) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Churchill — Beulah Chapel — Erected in 1837
This historic chapel, a landmark in the Pittsburgh area since 1837, is the third building occupied by the congregation of the Beulah Presbyterian Church, which was organized in 1784. Preceeded by two log buildings, the chapel is built of bricks made . . . — Map (db m61889) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Coraopolis — Fort Vance
Near this site stood Fort Vance, a settlers fort built during the French and Indian War era by Revolutionary War Captain Robert Vance. Robert Vance was a member of the Virginia Regiment of the Colonial Army, under the command of George Washington, . . . — Map (db m93567) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Coraopolis — Vance Fort
Near the corner of Second Avenue and Chestnut Street there was erected, about 1776, by Captain Robert Vance of Virginia. Pioneer settler on this site, a stockade known as Montour Bottoms or Vance Fort This stockade was manned by Washington . . . — Map (db m60831) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Coulter — Arthur J. Rooney — (1901-1988)
Prominent Western Pennsylvania civic and sports leader and owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers, 1933-1988. With his guidance the Steelers won four 1970s Super Bowls. An accomplished athlete, Rooney was influential in the National Football League and . . . — Map (db m49472) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Crafton — Hand's Hospital
On this site was located the isolation hospital erected in 1777 by General Edward Hand to care for troops at Fort Pitt. Blockhouses protected the original two-story log structure. — Map (db m40394) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Crafton — Pittsburgh
Gateway to the West and steel center of the world. Named for William Pitt by General Forbes after the fall of French Fort Duquesne in 1758. Laid out as a town by John Campbell in 1764. Incorporated as a city, 1816. — Map (db m40396) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Crescent — Shousetown Boatyard
Founder Peter Shouse, built "Kentuckian" its first steamboat in 1829. Sold 1837 to E.and N. Porter. By 1866 over 80 steamboats had been launched. The last was the 1727-ton "Great Republic", famed on the Mississippi River for its size and elegance. — Map (db m40223) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Dormont — Borough of Dormont Pool — Historic Landmark
Borough of Dormont Pool 1920 — Map (db m72864) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Duquesne — Duquesne Steel Works
Plant here began in 1886. Acquired by Andrew Carnegie in 1890, then by United States Steel in 1901. Workers here implemented advances in rolling mill and blast furnace processes before 1914; in pollution control, 1953. At peak of operations they . . . — Map (db m45001) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), East Pittsburgh — George Westinghouse
Inventor of air brake and some 400 other devices. Developed AC transmission of electric current. Spent creative years in Pittsburgh and founded the industry which bears his name. — Map (db m40648) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Edgeworth — Ethelbert Nevin
Composer of "Narcissus," "The Rosary," and other well-known musical works, was born November 25, 1862, at Vineacre, a property adjoining the far end of this street. Died February 17, 1901, at New Haven, Connecticut. — Map (db m39943) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Edgeworth — Shields Presbyterian Church — Historic Landmark
Shields Presbyterian Church J.W. Kerr, Architect 1868-69 — Map (db m78419) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Elizabeth — Elizabeth
Here were the boatyards of John and Samuel Walker, a major center for building boats for western waters. A ship launched in 1793 at these yards reached Philadelphia via New Orleans. — Map (db m41772) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Elizabeth — George Adam Weddell — (1712-1796)
This pioneer settler of Rostraver Township, Westmoreland County, arrived in Philadelphia from Rotterdam aboard the ship Mortonhouse in 1729. He and his wife Mary lived for a time near Hagerstown, Maryland and after the Braddock and Forbes . . . — Map (db m63078) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Elizabeth — Monongahela River Navigation System
One of the nation's earliest and most successful river navigation systems, its series of locks and dams, begun in 1838, has provided year-round navigation between Pittsburgh and Fairmont, West Virginia. Millions of tons of coal shipped through the . . . — Map (db m56942) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Etna — All Saints Church — Historic Landmark
All Saints Church John Theodore Comes, architect 1914 — Map (db m82015) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Forest Hills — Pioneer Short-Wave Station
On this site in 1923, Westinghouse opened a special radio facility to experiment with long-distance transmissions. Led by Frank Conrad, engineers here demonstrated the vital role of high-frequency short waves in sending broadcasts around the world. — Map (db m40901) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Forest Hills — Pittsburgh
Gateway to the West and steel center of the world. Named for William Pitt by General Forbes after the fall of French Fort Duquesne in 1758. Laid out as a town by John Campbell in 1764. Incorporated as a city, 1816. — Map (db m75099) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Forest Hills — Westinghouse Atom Smasher
The world’s 1st industrial Van de Graaff generator was created by Westinghouse Research Labs in 1937 as an early experiment with atomic energy. The 5-story pear-shaped structure is located here. The company remained active in establishing US . . . — Map (db m47038) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Fox Chapel — General Matthew B. Ridgway — (1895-1993)
United States Army officer; he rose to the rank of general, 1951. In World War II, commanded the 82nd Airborne Division (famed for its invasion of Sicily), 1942-44; and 18th Airborne Corps, 1944-45. Supreme commander, United Nations forces in Korea, . . . — Map (db m47552) WM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Gibsonia — Butler Short Line
Richland Historical Marker Butler Short Line electric street car passed this spot as it ran between Pittsburgh and Butler carrying passengers and freight from May first, 1907 until April twenty-second, 1931. — Map (db m55312) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Gibsonia — Butler Short Line
Butler Short Line electric streetcar passed this spot as it ran between Pittsburgh and Butler carrying passengers and freight from May 1st, 1907 until April 22nd, 1931. — Map (db m61017) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Glenfield — Glenfield War Memorial
World War I World War II Korean Conflict Vietnam Era — Map (db m92479) WM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Glenwillard — Allegheny County
'Place of Beginning' at which the county survey commenced junction of Flaugherty Run and Ohio River created from Washington and Westmoreland counties. Approved by the General Assembly Sept. 24, 1788 Dedicated Sept. 24, 1988. — Map (db m80705) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Glenwillard — Shousetown Cemetery Memorial
Dedicated in memory of the following people who are buried within the gates of this cemetery Ross Carter Rosie Cotter Margaret Cotter ------------ Matilda Eberly Isabela Eberly ------------ John Harris Joseph M. Harris Margaret C. . . . — Map (db m80709) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Heidelberg — Heidelberg Raceway and Sports Arena
Opened in 1948, this former Pittsburgh Racing Association racetrack was the site of the 1956 final performance of Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus under the Big Top. Rising railroad costs, changing technology, labor troubles, space . . . — Map (db m57519) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Heidelberg — Neville House
Known as Woodville. Built 1785 by General John Neville; later occupied by his son, Colonel Presley Neville. Refuge of General Neville's family when some Whiskey Rebels burned his home at Bower Hill, July 17, 1794. — Map (db m40979) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Heidelberg — Old Saint Luke's Church
Oldest Episcopal Church in southwestern Pennsylvania, founded after the French and Indian War by veteran Major William Lea on his land grant. Francis Reno was the first vicar. Church members included General John Neville, the unpopular tax collector . . . — Map (db m40978) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Homestead — Bost Building
Completed, early 1892. Through that summer, it was headquarters for the strike committee of the Amalgamated Association of Iron and Steel Workers. Telegraph lines installed here transmitted the news from journalists who were covering the Homestead . . . — Map (db m44871) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Homestead — Bost Building — Has Been Designated A — National Historic Landmark
This building possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. This was the headquarters of the Amalgamated Association of Iron and Steelworkers at the time of the Homestead Strike. It is one of the . . . — Map (db m44873) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Homestead — Carnegie Library of Homestead — Historic Landmark
Carnegie Library of Homestead Alden and Harlow, Architects 1896-98 — Map (db m44874) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Homestead — Carnegie Library of Homestead Swim Team
Carnegie Library opened here 1898. Host to athletic club that included world-renowned swimmers. Coached by Jack Scarry, Olympic medal winners were Susan Laird and Jo McKim, 1928, and Lenore Kight Wingard, 1932 and 1936. Anna Mae Gorman competed in . . . — Map (db m44870) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Homestead — Frances Perkins
United States Secretary of Labor, 1933-1945. Visited Homestead July 1933 to discuss New Deal policy. Local authorities barred her from meeting with aggrieved steelworkers in nearby Frick Park. Undeterred, she moved the assembly to federal property . . . — Map (db m44867) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Homestead — Homestead Strike
On the morning of July 6, 1892, on orders of the Carnegie Steel Company, 300 Pinkerton agents attempted to land near here; strikers and citizens repulsed them. Seven workers and three Pinkertons were killed. 8,000 state militia arrived July 12; by . . . — Map (db m39901) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Homestead — Mary Harris "Mother" Jones
Labor leader, workers' advocate. Arrested and jailed in Homestead for speaking to striking steelworkers, 1919. When a judge asked who gave her a permit to speak publicly, she replied, "Patrick Henry. Thomas Jefferson. John Adams!" — Map (db m44869) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Homestead — The Homestead Grays
Legendary baseball team that dominated the Negro Baseball Leagues during the first half of the 20th century. Founded by steelworkers in 1900, the Grays inspired African Americans locally and across the nation. Led by Cumberland Posey Jr., they won . . . — Map (db m40890) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Leetsdale — Leetsdale Veterans Memorial
To the men and women of Leetsdale who helped preserve the freedoms of humanity for all ages to come. — Map (db m63501) WM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), McKees Rocks — 1909 McKee's Rocks Strike
On July 14, unskilled immigrant workers led a strike against the Pressed Steel Car Company. Strain among the strikers, replacement laborers, and state police erupted into a riot on August 22. Eleven men were killed near this footbridge. Strikers . . . — Map (db m40873) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), McKees Rocks — McKees Rocks Mound
Largest Native American burial mound in Western Pennsylvania (16 feet high & 85 feet wide). It was hand-built by the Adena people between 200 BC and 100 AD and later used by the Hopewell people. Late 19th century excavations uncovered 33 skeletons . . . — Map (db m40899) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), McKees Rocks — Michael A. Musmanno — (1897-1968)
The noted jurist lived here. Pennsylvania Supreme Court Justice, 1952-68. A presiding judge for the War Crimes Tribunal in Nuremberg, 1947-1948. State legislator, 1929-31. Veteran of two World Wars. Author of 16 books. Buried in Arlington National . . . — Map (db m40900) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), McKees Rocks — Presston
Pressed Steel Car Company provided worker housing at substantial cost to employees, keeping them in constant debt. During the 1909 McKees Rocks strike against the company, immigrant workers were evicted from their homes. The evictions led to the . . . — Map (db m40905) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), McKees Rocks — St. Mary's Ukrainian Orthodox Church — Historic Landmark
St. Mary's Ukrainian Orthodox Church 1922 Carlton Strong, architect — Map (db m82111) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), McKees Rocks — The McKee Mansion
At this site on October Twentieth, 1770, George Washington dined at the home of Alexander McKee. — Map (db m87212) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), McKeesport — Helen Richey — (1909-1947)
In 1934 this McKeesport native became the 1st woman to pilot a commercial airliner. Discriminated against because she was a woman, she resigned within a year and went on to become the 1st woman licensed instructor by the Civil Aeronautics Authority; . . . — Map (db m47040) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), McKeesport — Kennedy-Nixon Taft-Hartley Debate
On April 21, 1947, John F. Kennedy and Richard M. Nixon debated the Taft-Hartley Labor-Management Relations Act at the Penn-McKee Hotel. The first debate between the two House Labor Committee members was a precursor to the iconic Kennedy-Nixon . . . — Map (db m54922) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), McKeesport — National Tube Works
Incorporated 1869, the works began production here, 1872. By 1901, when it became a subsidiary of United States Steel, this was the world's largest pipe producer. Major advances in inspection techniques originated here. Plant operations ceased in . . . — Map (db m47041) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), McKeesport — Queen Aliquippa
An influential leader of the Seneca Nation in this area and ally of the British during the time of the French & Indian War. Encamped near here when George Washington paid respects to her, 1753. Died, 1754; according to legend, buried nearby. — Map (db m47042) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Millvale — St. Nicholas Croatian Church — Historic Landmark
St. Nicholas Croatian Church 1900, Frederick Sauer, Architect Murals 1937, Maxo Vanka — Map (db m82018) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Monroeville — Forbes Road — Bouquet's Breastworks
The last base of General Forbes' army. After crossing nearly “two hundred miles of wild and unknown country,” the army entered Fort Duquesne on November 25, 1758. — Map (db m40883) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Monroeville — William D. Boyce — (1858-1929)
Inspired by the good turn of an English Scout, he brought the Scouting movement to the United States. His efforts led to the incorporation of Boy Scouts of America in Washington, D.C., on February 8, 1910, and to its chartering by Congress on June . . . — Map (db m40917) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Moon Township — Hyeholde — Historic Landmark
Hyeholde William Kryskill, designer 1931-38; 1952 — Map (db m94365) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Moon Township — Joshua Meeks — (1731-1818)
A militia captain during the American Revolution and civic leader in the early republic, Meeks was a petitioner to create Allegheny County in 1787. While making his living as a farmer, he took up arms to defend western Pa. during conflict and war. . . . — Map (db m40221) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Moon Township — Mooncrest
Designed and built in 1943 by the federal government as defense worker housing. Mooncrest residents produced armor plate, munitions, and ships at the nearby Dravo Corporation during World War II. Operated by U.S. Air Force after 1945; homes sold to . . . — Map (db m40222) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Mount Lebanon — Mt. Lebanon Municipal Building — Historic Landmark
Mt. Lebanon Municipal Building William H. King, Jr., Architect 1928-30 — Map (db m72863) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Mount Lebanon — Saint Bernard Church — Historic Landmark
Saint Bernard Church 1933-47 William Richard Perry, Architects — Map (db m72865) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Mount Lebanon — Southminster Presbyterian Church — Historic Landmark
Southminster Presbyterian Church Originally Mount Lebanon Presbyterian Church Thomas Pringle, Architect 1927-1928 — Map (db m72866) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Munhall — Homestead Strike Victims
In these two adjoining cemeteries are buried six of the seven Carnegie Steel Company workers killed during the “Battle of Homestead” on July 6, 1892. The graves of Peter Ferris, Henry Striegel, and Thomas Weldon are here in Saint Mary's . . . — Map (db m40891) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Natrona Heights — Burtner House — Historic Landmark
The Burtner House Built 1821 — Map (db m74890) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Neville Island — Dravo Corporation Shipyard
During World War II, Dravo's shipyard here was a leader in the manufacture of Landing Ship Tanks--LSTs--for the United States Navy. Dravo's over 16,000 workers produced a total of 145 LSTs. This and four other inland yards, all using techniques . . . — Map (db m40280) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), North Braddock — Braddock's Defeat
July 9, 1755, General Braddock's British forces en route to capture Fort Duquesne were ambushed and routed by French and Indians within present limits of Braddock and North Braddock, forcing retreat and failure of the expedition. — Map (db m59177) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), North Braddock — Braddock's Field
Known as the high tide of the Whiskey Rebellion, the rendezvous of militias from Pennsylvania's four western counties took place here, August 1-2, 1794. This was the largest armed resistance to the national government between the Revolutionary and . . . — Map (db m59178) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Oakdale — Walker-Ewing Log House — Historic Landmark
Walker-Ewing Log House Built c. 1795 — Map (db m70113) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Oakmont — Oakmont Carnegie Library — Historic Landmark
Oakmont Carnegie Library Built 1901 Alden & Harlow, Architects — Map (db m72331) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Penn Hills — Bouquet Camp
Bouquet Camp, supply base in the Forbes' campaign against the French holding Fort Duquesne in 1758, was near here. Named in honor of Colonel Bouquet, second-in-command and builder of Forbes Road. — Map (db m40879) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Penn Hills — Forbes Road — 1758 — Fort Bedford to Fort Duquesne
The Bouquet Encampment was located three miles east of this place which marks the farthest Northern point of the Forbes Road which leads Westward to Fort Duquesne 97 miles from Bedford Map (db m40884) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — "The Bell Speaks"
In 1751, the legislators of the Province of Pennsylvania ordered from an English foundry "A Good Bell" for the new bell tower of the state house (now know as Independence Hall) in Philadelphia. It was to be the jubilee symbol of the Pennsylvania . . . — Map (db m66452) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — 1st Drive-In Filling Station
At this site in Dec. 1913, Gulf Refining Co. opened the first drive-in facility designed and built to provide gasoline, oils, and lubricants to the motoring public. Its success led to construction of thousands of gas stations by different oil . . . — Map (db m40872) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — 31st Street Bridge
Moving river cargo along the Allegheny was difficult when low bridges prevented large boats from passing through. The 30th Street Bridge was the last obstruction on the Allegheny that interfered with river commerce. When replaced in 1928, the new . . . — Map (db m99528) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — 841 Lincoln Avenue — Historic Landmark
841 Lincoln Avenue (c.1865) Restored by Junior League of Pittsburgh An Historic Property of Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation — Map (db m65162) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny Aqueduct
The Pennsylvania Canal across Pennsylvania was an engineering triumph with a spectacular 37-mile railroad portage over the Allegheny Mountains. For half a century between 1820 and the Civil War, packet boats pulled by mules navigated through the . . . — Map (db m83762) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny Arsenal
Designed by Benjamin H. Latrobe and constructed in 1814. The Arsenal was used as a military garrison, in the manufacture and storing of supplies during the Civil War, Indian Wars, and Spanish American War. — Map (db m40874) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny Cemetery — Historic Landmark
Allegheny Cemetery Incorporated 1844 — Map (db m66198) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny City — Three Rivers Heritage Trail
In the early 1700s, the Allegheny River formed a boundary: lands claimed by European nations were to the east, and lands claimed by Native Americans were to the west. Near this site in 1783, James Robinson, the first permanent European settler . . . — Map (db m78602) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny Cotton Mill Strikes
Major strikes by women cotton factory workers protesting 12-hour work-days occurred nearby in Allegheny City in 1845 and 1848. The strikes led to an 1848 state law limiting workdays to 10 hours and prohibiting children under twelve years of age from . . . — Map (db m40301) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny County
Formed September 24, 1788 out of Westmoreland and Washington counties. Named for the Allegheny River. County seat of Pittsburgh was laid out in 1764 and became a city in 1816. A center of the iron, steel and other industries and “Workshop of . . . — Map (db m40937) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny County Soldier's Monument — (Civil War)
Erected to the memory of the 4,000 brave men of Allegheny County. Who fell in the great struggle to maintain the integrity of our union. The eye of God rests upon their graves even when unmarked by man. And their sleeping dust shall arise in the . . . — Map (db m58142) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny High School — Historic Landmark
Allegheny High School 1904 Frederick John Osterling, Architect — Map (db m58602) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny Observatory
Part of the University of Pittsburgh. Chartered 1860; located here since 1912. At the original site nearby, Professor Samuel P. Langley conducted experiments that would lead to the first sustained, mechanically powered flight in 1896. — Map (db m42219) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny Post Office — Historic Landmark
Children's Museum of Pittsburgh Originally Allegheny Post Office William M. Aiken, Architect 1894-97 — Map (db m58600) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Andrew Carnegie — (1835-1919)
A poor Scottish immigrant, Carnegie became a millionaire steel magnate and proponent of the "Gospel of Wealth." Seeking to benefit society with his fortune, he built over 2,500 libraries and endowed institutions advancing education and peace. — Map (db m40875) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Anthony Sadowski
Prominent Indian trader and interpreter, employed by the provincial governor of Pennsylvania as an Indian agent in the Western Country. As a trader travelled "To Allegheny" as far as Logstown, (Ambridge, PA). With two other Indian traders . . . — Map (db m66451) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Arrott Building — Historic Landmark
Arrott Building 1902 Frederick John Osterling, architect — Map (db m67181) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Art Blakey — (1919-1990)
A founder of the “hard-bop” school of jazz, drummer Blakey grew up here, and got his start with Billy Eckstine's band. Blakey’s group, “The Jazz Messengers,” featured Hank Mobley, Freddie Hubbard, Horace Silver, and Wynton . . . — Map (db m48883) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — August Wilson — (1945-2005)
Co-founder of Pittsburgh’s Black Horizon Theater and the author of a cycle of ten plays that have been hailed as a unique triumph in American literature. The plays cover each decade of the 20th century and most focus on African American life in the . . . — Map (db m48884) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Avery College
To the south, at Nash and Avery Streets, stood Avery College. Founded in 1849 by Charles Avery (1784-1858), Methodist lay preacher, philanthropist, abolitionist, to provide a classical education for Negroes. — Map (db m41046) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Barney Dreyfuss — (1865-1932)
Owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates, 1900-1932, and legendary baseball leader influential in initiating the first modern World Series, 1903. He led Pirates to 6 National League and 2 World Series titles and was vital to building Forbes Field here, 1909. — Map (db m40876) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Benedum-Trees Building — Historic Landmark
Benedum-Trees Building Thomas H. Scott, Arch., 1905 — Map (db m67184) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Bethel A.M.E. Church
Founded 1808 and known as the African Church. Chartered in 1818. Located nearby in early years, church was site of area's first school for colored children, 1831, and statewide civil rights convention, 1841. Congregation moved to Wylie Avenue, 1872; . . . — Map (db m42023) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Billy Eckstine — (1914-1993)
African American jazz balladeer and bandleader whose innovative style and sponsorship of new talent helped revolutionize jazz in the 1940s. One of the nation's most popular vocalists, he had 11 gold records. He grew up in this house. — Map (db m54980) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Birthplace of Gertrude Stein
In this house on February 3, 1874, Gertrude Stein was born to Daniel and Amelia Stein. Author, poet, feminist, playwright, and catalyst in the development of modern art and literature. "In the United States there is no space where nobody is . . . — Map (db m78335) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Birthplace of the Aluminum Industry
This tablet marks the birthplace of the aluminum industry in the United States. On the site of this building the Pittsburgh Reduction Company, now Aluminum Company of America, late in November, 1888, produced the first commercial run of aluminum by . . . — Map (db m79882) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Brown Chapel AME Church — Historic Landmark
Brown Chapel A.M.E. Church 1903 — Map (db m65226) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Buhl Planetarium and Institute of Popular Science — Historic Landmark
Children's Museum of Pittsburgh Originally Buhl Planetarium and Institute of Popular Science Ingham and Boyd, architects, 1939 — Map (db m58601) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Burke's Landmark — Historic Landmark
Burke's Landmark John Chislett, architect — Map (db m67183) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Byers-Lyon House — Historic Landmark
Byers-Lyon House 1898 Alden & Harlow, Architects — Map (db m65207) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Calvary Episcopal Church
January 2, 1921 from Calvary Church for the first time in history a church service was broadcasted by radio wireless by the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company. — Map (db m65042) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Calvary United Methodist Church — Historic Landmark
Calvary United Methodist Church Built 1892-95 Vrydaugh & Shepherd and T.B. Wolfe, Architects — Map (db m65165) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Catahecassa, Blackhoof — War Chief of the Shawnees
Was present at the defeat of Braddock in 1755 and took part in all the subsequent wars until the Treaty of Greenville in 1795, after which he remained the friend and ally of the United States. — Map (db m65044)
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Charles Martin Hall — (1863-1914)
Hall's invention of electrolytic manufacture of aluminum was first applied to commercial production in 1888 by the Pittsburgh Reduction Company, which later became Alcoa. This process, developed here, made the commercial use of aluminum possible. — Map (db m73628) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Charles Taze Russell — (1852-1916)
Pastor Russell formed a Bible study group in Allegheny City in the 1870's; developed it into the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society. It became the legal corporation for Jehovah's Witnesses. He lived in the Bible House nearby, 1894-1909; spoke here . . . — Map (db m40173) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Colonial Place Historic District — Historic Landmark
Colonial Place Historic District George S. Orth, architect E.H. Bachman, landscape artist 1898 — Map (db m76367) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Congregation B'nai Israel — Historic Landmark
Congregation B'nai Israel Built 1923 Henry Hornbostel, Architect — Map (db m65133) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Corliss Street Tunnel — Historical Landmark

Corliss Street Tunnel 1914 Stanley L. Roush, architect; D.N. Sprague, chief engineer — Map (db m101344) HM

Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — County of Allegheny Law Enforcement Officers Memorial
Dedicated August 25, 1996 Rededication Saturday May 17, 2003 County of Allegheny Law Enforcement Officers Memorial, Incorporated — Map (db m60475) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — County Office Building — Historic Landmark
County Office Building Stanley L. Roush, architect 1929-31 — Map (db m65609) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Crawford Grill
A center of Black social life where musicians such as Art Blakey, Mary Lou Williams, John Coltrane drew a racially mixed, international clientele. Here, Crawford Grill number 2, the second of three clubs opened 1943; was owned by William (Gus) . . . — Map (db m40882) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Daisy E. Lampkin
Outstanding as an NAACP organizer, Mrs. Lampkin was its National Field Secretary, 1935-47. President, Lucy Stone Civic League, 1915-65. A charter member, National Council of Negro Women, and Vice President, The Pittsburgh Courier. She lived here . . . — Map (db m52128) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — David L. Lawrence — 1889-1966
David L. Lawrence, Mayor of Pittsburgh from 1946 to 1959 and Governor of Pennsylvania from 1959 to 1963, was born in the Old Point District, now Point State Park, on June 18, 1889. As Mayor and Governor, he provided the public leadership which . . . — Map (db m43570) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — East Liberty Presbyterian Church — Historic Landmark
East Liberty Presbyterian Church Built 1931-1935 Cram & Ferguson, Architects — Map (db m65134) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Eliza Furnace
James Laughlin, one of the founders of Jones & Laughlin, constructed the first Eliza Furnace, a stone blast furnace for smelting iron. Built in 1858 before the Civil War, Eliza marked the city's emerging iron and steel industry and was the first . . . — Map (db m100347) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Emmanuel Episcopal Church — National Historic Landmark
Has Been Designated A National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. Henry Hobson Richardson, one of America's premier architects, designed this church (1884). . . . — Map (db m65167) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Epiphany Roman Catholic Church — Historic Landmark
Epiphany Roman Catholic Church 1904 Edward Stotz, Architect John T. Comes, Interior Designer — Map (db m65607) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Family Court Facility — Historic Landmark
Family Court Facility, Court of Common Pleas Originally Allegheny County Jail Henry Hobson Richardson, architect 1884-86 — Map (db m65613) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — First Free Public Library Building in the United States
. . . — Map (db m40172) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — First Mining of Pittsburgh Coal
This State's bituminous coal industry was born about 1760 on Coal Hill, now Mount Washington. Here the Pittsburgh coal bed was mined to supply Fort Pitt. This was eventually to be judged the most valuable individual mineral deposit in the United . . . — Map (db m48882) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — First Muslim Mosque of Pittsburgh — Historic Landmark
First Muslim Mosque of Pittsburgh Originally, Wylie Avenue Branch Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh Alden & Harlow, architects, 1899 — Map (db m78473) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — First Professional Football Game
On November 12, 1892, at Recreation Park, a few blocks northwest of here, the Allegheny Athletic Association defeated the Pittsburgh Athletic Club, 4-0. The winning touchdown was scored by William "Pudge" Heffelfinger, who received $500 for playing. . . . — Map (db m39909) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — First United Methodist Church — Historic Landmark
First United Methodist Church Weary and Kramer, H. Wagoner, Architects 1893-95, 1952 — Map (db m65135) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — First World Series
In October 1903, National League champion Pittsburgh played American League champion Boston in major league baseball's first modern World Series. Boston won the best-of-9 series, 5 games to 3; prominent players included Pittsburgh's Honus Wagner and . . . — Map (db m40174) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Forbes Field
The first all steel and concrete ballpark in the nation, Forbes Field was home to the Pirates, site of four World Series in 1909, 1925, 1927, and 1960 and two All-Star games. Hosted the Homestead Grays, Steelers, and Pitt Panthers, as well as . . . — Map (db m40877) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Forbes Road — 1758 — Fort Bedford to Fort Duquesne
Fort Duquesne End of Forbes Road Occupied by General Forbes November 25, 1758 and by him named Pittsburgh. His victory determined the destiny of the Great West and established Anglo-Saxon supremacy in the United States. "His name . . . — Map (db m42022) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Forbes Road, 1758
This tablet marks the site of a giant oak which stood on the northerly side of the road built in 1758 by Brigadier-General John Forbes on his military expedition against the French and Indians at Fort Duquesne (now Pittsburgh). On November 25, . . . — Map (db m71947) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Forks of the Ohio Fort Pitt Blockhouse — National Historic Landmark
(Right side of entrance) Forks of the Ohio Fort Pitt Block House has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America

(Left . . . — Map (db m40336) HM

Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Fort Duquesne
This marks the exact site of Fort Duquesne, built by the French in 1754

The Fort was destroyed by the French on the approach of the English Army in 1758 — Map (db m43572) HM

Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Fort Lafayette
Stood on this site. It was completed in 1792. Built to protect Pittsburgh against Indian attacks and to serve as a chief supply base for General Wayne's army from 1792-1794. Reactivated during the War of 1812. Site sold in 1813. — Map (db m40885) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Founding Convention of the AFL
On November 15, 1881, in nearby Turner Hall, a convention was held to form the organization which became the American Federation of Labor. Soon it was the nation's largest labor federation. It became part of the merged AFL-CIO in 1955. — Map (db m40940) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Founding Convention of the CIO
Near here on November 14, 1938, the first convention of the Congress of Industrial Organizations was held. 34 international unions were represented. Pittsburgh's Philip Murray was president from 1940-1952. — Map (db m40175) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Founding of the Ironworkers Union
On Feb. 4, 1896, sixteen delegates met at Moorheads Hall here to form the International Association of Bridge, Structural, Ornamental, and Reinforcing Iron Workers. Active in the struggle for health and safety standards; by 1996 it had 140,000 . . . — Map (db m40936) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Frank E. Bolden — (1912-2003)
Distinguished journalist, one of the first two African American accredited correspondents during World War II. He covered the “Buffalo Soldiers” and “Tuskegee Airmen,” reporting from India, Burma, and China. Later, City . . . — Map (db m40886) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Frank Vittor — (1888-1968)
Pittsburgh sculptor whose subjects included American presidents and public figures such as Abraham Lincoln, Honus Wagner, and Mark Twain. He devoted his life to sculpting and teaching, and founded the city’s Society of Sculptors. An Italian . . . — Map (db m40888) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Frederick J Osterling Office & Studio — National Historic Landmark
Office and Studio 228 Isabella Street This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of The Interior — Map (db m65001) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Freedom House Ambulance — 1967-1975 — Pittsburgh's E.M.S. Pioneers
Never to be forgotten.... This plaque honors the visionaries of the Hill District's Freedom House Ambulance Service - founders, staff, medical advisors, funders, and supporters--for their significant contributions to emergency medical . . . — Map (db m78474) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Grace United Methodist Church — Historic Landmark
Grace United Methodist Church Built 1872 — Map (db m72417) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Grant's Hill
On this hill the British under Major James Grant were defeated by the French and Indians from Fort Duquesne, September 14, 1758. Erected by the Pittsburgh Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, June 10, 1901. — Map (db m40938) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Greenfield Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the noble deeds of Greenfield men and women who served their country in World Wars I and II and the lasting memory of their names — Map (db m81390) WM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Greenlee Field
Located here from 1932 to 1938, this was the first African American owned stadium in the Negro Leagues. Home of Gus Greenlee's Pittsburgh Crawfords baseball team, 1935 Negro League champs. Players included Hall of Famers Satchel Paige, Josh Gibson, . . . — Map (db m52129) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Gulf Building — Historic Landmark
Gulf Building 1930-1932 Trowbridge & Livingston, Archs. — Map (db m83953) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Hampton Battery Monument
Map (db m82420) WM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Hazelwood: A Rivertown Rich in History
Named for the hazelnut trees that once grew on the banks of the Monongahela River, Hazelwood possessed a natural beauty that George Washington noted in his early journals. Originally Native American territory, Hazelwood was purchased through the . . . — Map (db m94065) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Heinz Hall — Historic Landmark
Heinz Hall (formerly Loew's Penn Theatre) Rapp & Rapp, Architects 1926 Stotz, Hess, MacLachlan & Fosner remodeling 1971 — Map (db m67122) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Henry Clay Frick — (1849-1919)
Pittsburgh industrialist and philanthropist, Frick was instrumental in the organization of the coke and steel industries. His controversial management style while chairman of Carnegie Steel led to the bloody Homestead Strike in 1892. — Map (db m40939) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Henry J. Heinz — (1844-1919)
From a start in 1869 selling bottled horseradish, Heinz built an international firm by 1886. He pioneered innovative advertising, quality control, and benevolent employee policies and transformed modern diets. — Map (db m40889) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Herr's Island
This island was known as Herr's Island for over 200 years. Named for Benjamin Herr, a Swiss Mennonite, the island became an idyllic village with fruit trees and gardens. Herr operated a water-powered mill in the back channel as packet boats floated . . . — Map (db m99623) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Historic Site in Journalism
John Scull in 1786 was the first editor to have type and press transported through the rough wilderness to establish a newspaper west of the major Allegheny Range. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is the direct descendent of the Gazette which Scull . . . — Map (db m44579) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — History of Observatory Hill
Observatory Hill was originall part of Allegheny City. Since Allegheny City's annexation to the City of Pittsburgh in 1907, the Observatory Hill district has expanded and is home to nearly 14,000 residents. The neighborhood features stately homes, a . . . — Map (db m79697) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — In Memory of Eric S. Holman, Staff Sergeant, U.S. Army — November 20, 1972 - August 15, 2012 — Killed in Action
Operation Enduring Freedom, Afghanistan, EOD Special Forces, 767th Ordnance Company, 192nd Ordnance Battalion, 52nd Ordnance Group, 20th Support Command, U.S. Army Golden Knights Parachute Team Member 82nd Airborne Division Combat . . . — Map (db m85811) WM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Iron and Steel Workers
The shift to mass production in the steel industry brought thousands of new workers to Pittsburgh and forever changed the city. Between 1870 and 1900, Pittsburgh's population quadrupled. Through Ellis Island and from across the nation came the . . . — Map (db m100348) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — James Hay Reed
Born Sept. 10, 1853, in a house standing in this square. Distinguished as a lawyer. Counselor to a majority of the leaders of business who built the corporations which made Pittsburgh leader in American industry. — Map (db m40176) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Jane Grey Swisshelm Childhood Home
To The Memory of Jane Grey Swisshelm 1815-1884 Pittsburgh's first newspaper woman secured passage of state law April 11, 1848 enabling married women to hold and sell property A woman of great moral courage and love for humanity, A . . . — Map (db m83952) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Jane Holmes — (1805-1885)
A distinguished philanthropist and humanitarian, she created and funded numerous social service agencies, including the Western Pennsylvania School for Blind Children, here. Her pioneering efforts in charitable giving have served those in need, . . . — Map (db m46526) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — John A. Roebling — (1806-1869)
Here in 1846, Roebling built the first wire rope suspension bridge to carry a highway over the Monongahela River. He also designed a bridge across the Allegheny River, a railroad bridge at Niagara Falls, and the Brooklyn Bridge. — Map (db m42221) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — John M. Phillips — (1861-1953)
Creator of the state game land system. Known as the Pennsylvania System, it was a model throughout the nation. Phillips helped establish the Pennsylvania Game Commission. A conservationist, industrialist, and engineer, he was among the first to . . . — Map (db m41297) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — John Scull — (1765-1828)
Pioneering editor and publisher who issued first edition of Pittsburgh Gazette, 1786. First newspaper west of Alleghenies, it became the Post-Gazette, 1927. A Berks County native, he was active in Western Pennsylvania's civic affairs; home and print . . . — Map (db m42024) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — John T. Comθs — (1873-1922)
A nationally influential church architect and a prolific writer and lecturer. Comθs was recognized for his philosophy regarding design and decoration of Catholic churches. A Pittsburgh resident, his commissions, including Saint Agnes here, are . . . — Map (db m97505) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Johnny Unitas — (1933-2002)
Pittsburgh native and Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee, 1979. Here Unitas quarterbacked semi-pro Bloomfield Rams to a Steel Bowl Football Conference championship in 1955. Signed with the Baltimore Colts in 1956, leading them to an NFL championship . . . — Map (db m40892) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Johnson Studio — Established 1923
Johnson Studio was one of the first African-American owned and operated businesses to locate on Centre Avenue. The Studio was first opened at 1862 Centre Avenue in 1923 under the founder's name, Luther H. Johnson, Photographer. The name was changed . . . — Map (db m78475) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Jones and Laughlin
The partnership between Jones & Laughlin combined the skills of an older financial genius with those of a brilliant young entrepreneur. Before the Civil War, Jones established a rolling mill on the South Side, and Laughlin subsequently built an iron . . . — Map (db m100349) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Jones Hall — Historic Landmark
Jones Hall 1908-1910 Rutan and Russell, Architects — Map (db m65171) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Joshua (Josh) Gibson — (1911-1947)
Hailed as Negro leagues' greatest slugger, he hit some 800 home runs in a baseball career that began here at Ammons Field in 1929. Played for Homestead Grays and Pittsburgh Crawfords, 1930-1946. Elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame, '72. — Map (db m40893) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Kaufmann's Department Store and Clock — Historic Landmark
Kaufmann's Dept. Store and Clock Built 1898 Charles Bickel Architect Addition 1913 Janssen & Abbot Architects — Map (db m66448) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Kier Refinery
Using a five-barrel still, Samuel M. Kier erected on this site about 1854 the first commercial refinery to produce illuminating oil from petroleum. He used crude oil from salt wells at Tarentum. — Map (db m43399) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Korean War Veterans' Monument
About the Memorial American servicemen and women braved violent combat in Korea. The Nation suffered great losses in the War and spiritual anguish in its aftermath. Friends parted, lives were uprooted, futures were transformed; many died or were . . . — Map (db m60271) WM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Langley Observatory Clock
The title of the sculpture, Langley Observatory Clock, refers to the work of Samuel P. Langley. In 1870, Langley, director of the Allegheny Observatory, created the Allegheny System - a standardized system of measuring and disseminating accurate . . . — Map (db m78391) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Le Magnifique — (Mario Lemieux Statue)
Mario Lemieux's career was defined not only by spectacular talent but also by fierce determination and uncommon resilience - qualities that enabled him to break through adversity and overcome immense challenges both on and off the ice. Marion . . . — Map (db m79960) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Lewis and Clark Expedition
On Aug. 31, 1803, Captain Meriwether Lewis launched a 50-foot “keeled boat” from Fort Fayette, 100 yards downriver. This marked the beginning of the 3-year expedition commissioned by President Jefferson, which opened America to westward . . . — Map (db m42181) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Linwood Apartments — Historic Landmark
Linwood Apartments Built c. 1907 Frederick G. Scheibler, Jr., Architect — Map (db m65136) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Louis Mason, Jr — (1915-1984)
Through 24 years of public service, Mr. Mason worked tirelessly to increase housing and employment opportunities for minorities. Mr. Mason was an exceptional civil rights leader and human being. He served numerous roles throughout the city: . . . — Map (db m78476) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Mala Jaska — The Story of a Croatian Community
Between 1890 and 1910, the highway corridor where you are now standing developed into a Croatian community known as "Mala Jaska" (or Little Jastrebarsko), after the town from which many of the immigrants came. The area was initially settled by . . . — Map (db m84561) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Martha Graham — (1894-1991)
Born near here, dancer, choreographer, and teacher Martha Graham created a modern and unique movement style. In 1927, she founded her School of Contemporary Dance, revolutionizing the art of modern dance with innovative works such as . . . — Map (db m42222) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Martin R. Delany — (1812-1885)
A promoter of African-American nationalism, Delany published a Black newspaper, The Mystery, at an office near here. He attended Harvard Medical School, practiced medicine in Pittsburgh, and was commissioned as a major in the Civil War. — Map (db m42025) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Mary Cassatt — (1844-1926)
Born near here, Cassatt studied art in Europe. She lived in Paris, befriended by the Impressionist painter Degas. She was an innovative painter, printmaker, and etcher and is noted for her works depicting women and children. — Map (db m40177) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Mary Lou Williams — (1910-1981)
Famed jazz composer and pianist. A child prodigy, she grew up in this city; went to Lincoln School here, 1919-1923. Played for Andy Kirk in 1930s; then arranged music for Duke Ellington and others. Major works include "Zodiac Suite" and "Mary Lou's . . . — Map (db m40898) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Materials Handling — Slag Pots — Rivers of Steel National Heritage Area
Often shipped by rail from ovens and furnaces in slag pots, like the one displayed here, slag is the waste by-product of the iron and steel making process. It can be used in making roadbeds, landfill, concrete, fertilizer and aquarium gravel. . . . — Map (db m94086) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — McClurg Iron Foundry
Established in 1804, it was the first air foundry in Pittsburgh. During the War of 1812, it supplied cannons and ammunition, primarily destined for the fleet on Lake Erie. In 1835, the first locomotive steam engine made west of the Alleghenies was . . . — Map (db m94741) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Merchants Savings & Trust Company — 1902-1983
"The Merchants Savings & Trust Company failed to open for business today. I.C. Swigart, State Bank Examiner, took over the bank, at 1410 Fifth Avenue, to protect depositors, he announced. While a few days ago the bank was believed able to continue . . . — Map (db m96369) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Mercy Hospital
Founded in 1847 by the Sisters of Mercy as Pittsburgh's first hospital. Medical internships began in 1848, and the nursing school in 1893. This was the first Mercy hospital worldwide, caring for all patients, especially the community's poor. — Map (db m42223) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Monongahela Wharf Commercial Buildings — Historic Landmark
Monongahela Wharf Commercial Buildings Market Street to Wood Street C. 1850 to C. 1890 — Map (db m79633) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Motor Square Garden — (East Liberty Market) — National Register of Historic Places
This Property has been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m65137) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — National Negro Opera Company
Here at the Cardwell School of Music, this first national Black opera company was founded in 1941 by Mary Cardwell Dawson. Noted for its musical genius, it performed for 21 years in Pittsburgh, Washington, New York, and other cities. — Map (db m47046) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Nevin Row — 850 - 858 North Lincoln Avenue
Erected circa 1870 by T.H. Nevin: prominent industrialist, entrepeneur, founder of the First National Bank of Allegheny (1863) and influential in the development of the American chemical and petroleum industries. 856-858 North Lincoln Avenue . . . — Map (db m65164) HM

1397 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1197
Paid Advertisement