Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

688 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 488
 
Archer School Gymnasium and Marker image, Touch for more information
By Tim Fillmon, May 25, 2018
Archer School Gymnasium and Marker
Florida (Alachua County), Archer — F-972 — Archer School Gymnasium
The Alachua County Board of Public Instruction contracted with the firm of Winston and Perry to build a 3-story brick building for the Archer School, west of an old wood frame building, in 1917. The building housed grades 1-10 until 1925 when the . . . — Map (db m120479) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — "The Great Endurance Run"
On November 23, 1909, the "Autoists" participating in "The Great Endurance Run" were treated to a gala banquet and overnight stay at "The White House Hotel" which was located at this exact site. This event ended the first day of driving for the . . . — Map (db m68316) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — African Studies
The Center for African Studies was founded in 1964 to expand interdisciplinary instruction, research, and professional exchanges related to Africa. With strong support from UF and longterm U.S. Department of Education funding, it has grown from a . . . — Map (db m135959) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-809 — Alachua General Hospital
Historic Alachua General Hospital (AGH) stood on this site for nearly 82 years. A county or community-supported venture for much of its history, the hospital served the needs of Alachua County citizens for generations as a respected health care . . . — Map (db m93167) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-794 — Chestnut Funeral Home
The Chestnut family in Gainesville has served the mortuary needs of the African American community in Alachua County since 1914. Charles S. Chestnut, Sr. was a founding member of the Florida Morticians Association in the early 1900s. The business . . . — Map (db m110984) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-805 — Evergreen Cemetery
Evergreen Cemetery, known locally as "This Wondrous Place," began with the burial of a baby girl in 1856. The infant, Elizabeth Thomas, was the daughter of wealthy cotton merchant James T. Thomas and his wife, Elizabeth Jane Hall Thomas. The baby . . . — Map (db m93852) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Florida 4-H
Head, Heart, Hands, and Health Florida 4-H began as a program to teach farming methods to rural youth and became a community-based program that taught millions of young Floridians how to Learn By Doing. In 1909, UF Dean of Agriculture J.J. . . . — Map (db m135971) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Florida Extension
Since the early 1900s, the University of Florida has been sharing research discoveries and education programs with the people of Florida through its Extension Service. Faculty from the Florida Agricultural Experiment Station organized farmers' . . . — Map (db m93830) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Florida Museum
The Florida Museum traces its roots to the 1890s at Florida Agricultural College in Lake City. In 1906, the collections moved to the UF campus in Gainesville. On May 30, 1917, the Florida State Museum became the state's official natural history . . . — Map (db m134906) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Gainesville Regional Airport
The City of Gainesville began construction of this airport in April of 1940 as a project of the depression era Works Progress Administration. With WWII looming, construction was taken over by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in 1941. Initial . . . — Map (db m101411) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Gatorade's Birthplace
Gatorade, the sports drink that started an industry, was invented at the UF College of Medicine by a team of researchers led by Dr. Robert Cade. Gatorade was first field tested in a football scrimmage near this site and was first used in an October . . . — Map (db m120371) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — George T. Harrell
George T. Harrell, founding dean of UF's College of Medicine in 1956, was the first individual to organize and open two academic medical centers. A pioneering planner who spent his career working in new medical schools. Harrell's detailed plans . . . — Map (db m135968) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Health Professions Pioneer
When the College of Health Related Services opened in 1958, it was the first college of health professions located in an academic health center. Led by Dean Darrel Mase, the college joined the emerging professions of occupational therapy, physical . . . — Map (db m135966) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — IFAS
In commemoration of the Bicentennial Year of the United States of America, this plaque is dedicated to the faculty and staff of the University of Florida's Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences who since 1884 have served Florida and its . . . — Map (db m135962) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-402 — Jesse Johnson Finley
Jesse Johnson Finley was born in Wilson County, Tennessee, November 18, 1812 and educated in Lebanon, Tennessee. After service as a captain in the Seminole War of 1836, he studied law and was admitted to the bar. During a ten year period he served . . . — Map (db m93855) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-735 — Kanapaha Presbyterian Church
In 1857, a group of Sea Island cotton planters from South Carolina who settled near here called an organizational meeting to establish Kanapaha Presbyterian Church. The Reverend William J. McCormick (1821-1883) was recruited from South Carolina to . . . — Map (db m111045) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Major General John R Alison(1912-2011)
John Richardson "Johnny" Alison was born in Micanopy, Florida, on November 12, 1912. He was a highly decorated flying ace and served in both theaters of World War II. Johnny Alison graduated from Gainesville High School in 1931 and the University of . . . — Map (db m101412) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-784 — Mt. Carmel Baptist Church
The congregation of the Mt. Carmel Baptist Church first met on May 4, 1896. The church’s original members worshipped in the St. Paul CME Church, and together the congregations bought a parcel of land in 1900 to build a new church. Its construction . . . — Map (db m110982) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-679 — Old Stage Road
The Old Stage Road, one of Alachua County’s original highways, passed near here. Dating from the 1820s, it connected the county’s two major towns, Newnansville (once the county seat near present day Alachua) and Micanopy to the south. The road . . . — Map (db m67689) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Robert Marston Science Library
Born in 1923, Robert Quaries Marston was raised and educated in Virginia. At only 20 he earned a bachelor's degree from the Virginia Military Institute, followed by an M.D. from the Medical College of Virginia. A Rhodes Scholar, he distinguished . . . — Map (db m135958) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-705 — Serenola Plantation
(side 1) In 1857, David Rogerson Williams II (1822-1907) of Darlington Co., SC, purchased 1,000 acres, including this site bordering Paynes Prarie, and developed them as a plantation known as "Serenola." The 1860 census shows 120 slaves . . . — Map (db m67687) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-645 — The Gainesville Servicemen's Center / Thelma Boltin Center
The Gainesville Serviceman's Center The City of Gainesville purchased the Servicemen’s Center lot on December 7th 1942. The Federal Works Agency constructed a $37,000 building with a ballroom, stage, dressing rooms, second floor reading . . . — Map (db m67690) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-316 — The Law School Burial Mound
100 yards west is an aboriginal burial mound built ca. A.D. 1000 by Alachua Tradition peoples, ancestors of the Potano Indians who lived in Alachua County in the 16th and 17th centuries. Initially several individuals were buried in a central grave, . . . — Map (db m134742) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-1002 — Timucua Burial Mound/Timucua People
(side 1) Timucua Burial Mound This earthen mound pays tribute to the ancestors of the Timucua Indians who lived and established villages near lakes and other sources of fresh water in north central Florida. Around 950 CE, following . . . — Map (db m134740) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Grove Park — F-925 — Daniel Scott Plantation
Side 1 In 1853, planters Daniel Scott and Daniel Finley of Fairfield, South Carolina, bought 2,664 acres of land here for $6,743, and in 1854 Scott was taxed on 1,400 acres and 30 enslaved people. In 1855, Scott and Finley purchased 54 . . . — Map (db m110525) HM
Florida (Alachua County), High Springs — 1824 - The Bellamy Road - 1952
The construction of this road was authorized by the 18th Congress and approved February 28, 1824. The section from Tallahassee to St. Augustine was built by John Bellamy and followed the Old Spanish Road. — Map (db m93361) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Lacrosse — F-865 — LaCrosse
Settlement in the LaCrosse area started in the 1840s with the arrival of John Cellon, a young French immigrant. Other early settlers were Thomas Green, Abraham Mott, Richard H. Parker and family, William Scott and Thomas Standley. The town was built . . . — Map (db m93838) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Melrose — F-981 — Melrose United Methodist Church
The Melrose United Methodist Church was organized in 1868 as the Melrose Methodist Episcopal Church, South. This church building, the first located within the original 1877 plat of Melrose, was constructed out of heart pine by the congregation in . . . — Map (db m120212) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Micanopy — F-860 — Moses Elias Levy
Moses Elias Levy (1782-1854), a Moroccan born Jewish merchant, came to Florida after its cession from Spain to the United States in 1821. Before his arrival, Levy acquired over 50,000 acres in East Florida. In 1822, Levy began development on . . . — Map (db m93854) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Newberry — F-1038 — The Newberry Lynchings of 1916
Side 1

On August 19, 1916, African Americans living in the Jonesville and Newberry communities were lynched. At 2:00 a.m., Constable George Wynne, Dr. L.G. Harris, and G.H. Blount drove to Boisey Long's home in Jonesville to serve a warrant . . . — Map (db m135956) HM

Florida (Bay County), Panama City — F-23 — St. Andrews Bay Skirmish
The U.S. bark Roebuck, commanded by John Sherrill, was sent to St. Andrews Bay to prevent blockade running. On March 20, 1863, an 11-man scouting party landed in this vicinity to secure fresh drinking water. They were attacked by Confederates . . . — Map (db m129811) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — F-857 — Carter-Fuller Mound Complex
Before modern construction a complex of six burial mounds occupied this location. They were built by the ancestors of the prehistoric Ais tribe, a group who occupied the Cape Canaveral area at the time of European contact. Based on pottery styles . . . — Map (db m101390) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cocoa — F-937 — Edward Postell Porcher House
On October 31, 1916, citrus grower and inventor Edward Postell Porcher and wife Byrnina Peck Porcher, moved into what was the grandest house in Cocoa. The house is a unique example of Neo-Classical Revival Style architecture interpreted in coquina . . . — Map (db m112182) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cocoa Beach — F-938 — The Thousand Islands
The Thousand Islands formed as the result of an ancient tidal inlet that breached this barrier island and flowed across modern-day Cocoa Beach. The indigenous Ais people, a fisher-gatherer society, lived along the inlet. Their oyster-shell middens . . . — Map (db m112180) HM
Florida (Brevard County), LaGrange — F-540 — LaGrange Community Church
Founded by Tom Johnson Cockshutt in 1869, this was the first organized Protestant Church on the East Coast of Florida between New Smyrna and Key West. Tom donated land for a cemetery and built a small log structure located on what is now the . . . — Map (db m101179) HM
Florida (Brevard County), LaGrange — Site of the First Church
Site of the first church erected between New Smyrna and Key West A community church — Map (db m101180) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne Beach — F-750 — The Ryckman House
One of the first homes in Melbourne Beach, the Ryckman House was built in 1890 for Jacob Fox by Captain Rufus W. Beaujean. Both men were original investors in the Melbourne Beach Company, later named the Melbourne Beach Improvement Company. The . . . — Map (db m93164) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Merritt Island — F-713 — Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church of Merritt Island & Community Cemetery"White Lilly Cemetery" — 1892 —
Established in 1892, the Bethel A.M.E. Church of Merritt Island was the first African Methodist Episcopal church on North Tropical Trail, located on land James R. Ragan originally acquired through the Homestead Act in 1895. The wooden church sat on . . . — Map (db m101067) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Merritt Island — F-547 — Georgianna United Methodist Church
Georgianna United Methodist Church was built in the community of Georgiana on Merritt's Island in 1886. The ringing of the church bell still marks the beginning of worship as it has for many decades. Franklin C. Allen, Jr., a local homesteader, . . . — Map (db m102267) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Merritt Island — F-575 — John H. Sams Homestead
The Sams family came to Brevard County from South Carolina in 1875 to take advantage of the 1860 Homestead Act. The family consisted of John Hanahan Sams, his wife Sarah, their five children, Johns brother William Sams, and his sister, Catherine . . . — Map (db m101410) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Merritt Island — F-574 — St. Luke's Episcopal Church
St. Luke's Episcopal Church of Courtenay was formed by the Porcher, LaRoche, Sams and other families that settled on north Merritt Island after leaving the Charleston, South Carolina area in 1875 due to the loss of their homes and plantations during . . . — Map (db m101022) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Mims — F-539 — Greater St. James Missionary Baptist Church of Mims
In 1894, after organizing a congregation, St. James Colored Missionary Baptist Church acquired land in Mims, and with Rev. G. Brewer as pastor, built the first wooden church on this site in 1904 under the guidance of Rev. J.S. Gilbert. Many of North . . . — Map (db m101402) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Mims — F-489 — LaGrange Community Cemetery
Established in 1869, this is the oldest cemetery on Florida's lower East Coast. The oldest portion is located in the front center section, evidenced by the southeasterly positioning of the tombstones. Tom Johnson Cockshutt (1841-1917), who arrived . . . — Map (db m101404) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Mims — F-488 — LaGrange/Mims Community Cemetery
In the early 1900s, a two acre parcel of land north of LaGrange Community Church and Cemetery was given to the Mims colored community for a cemetery. Earliest marked graves are dated 1903; many are unmarked. In the 1800s both blacks and whites . . . — Map (db m101403) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Rockledge — F-609 — Lawndale
This house is one of the last remaining examples of Queen Ann architecture in the area. The tall proportions, a variety of surface textures and the irregularity of plan are representative of this style. One of the most predominant characteristics is . . . — Map (db m102297) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — Hernandez Trail
Hernandez Trail 1837-1928 — Map (db m102313) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — Scobie Fish & Oyster Company - 1885Historic Titusville
George W. Scobie sailed his 50-foot oyster boat Sophie Fry to Titusville in 1885 and founded the Indian River commercial fishing industry. When rail service arrived, he began shipping large quantities of oysters and fish north. Before long, . . . — Map (db m101409) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — F-231 — St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church
In 1887, construction of a church was begun on land donated to the Titusville Episcopal mission by Mary Titus, wife of the town's founder, and J. Dunlin Perkinson, lay reader of the mission. The name of the church was changed from St. John's to St. . . . — Map (db m101181) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — F-36 — Titus House
Located on the Indian River, the hotel was built (circa 1869) and operated by Henry T. Titus, founder of Titusville. The building, constructed of wood, was U-shaped with each room opening on a veranda facing a tropical garden. In the days of steam . . . — Map (db m101407) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — Titus House & the Indian River Hotel, c. 1869Historic Titusville
The Titus House was one of the earliest hotels on the Indian River. It was built by Henry Titus, founder of Titusville, on the site across the street. Col. Titus had a colorful career that included blockade running during the Civil War. He became . . . — Map (db m101408) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — Titusville Negro School
Following temporary sites on Washington Avenue in 1883 and Dummitt Avenue in 1886, the Titusville Negro School was located on this site in 1915; it housed grades 1-8. The original building was burned in 1931, and a new eight-classroom frame building . . . — Map (db m67691) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — F-897 — Titusville Veteran's Memorial Fishing Pier
This pier was the western end of Walker Bridge, the first bridge linking Titusville to Merritt Island. Built in 1922, the hand-cranked, wooden drawbridge served the area until preparations for a modern causeway began in the late 1930s. Causeway . . . — Map (db m100950) HM
Florida (Broward County), Dania Beach — F-652 — Colored Beach at John U. Lloyd State Park
African Americans living in South Florida in the earlier part of the 20th century drove from as far away as Palm Beach and Miami to use Fort Lauderdale’s beaches, but met with significant resistance from oceanfront property owners. On May 14, 1946, . . . — Map (db m127513) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — Cooley's Massacre
This monument marks the site of the William Cooley plantation. Cooley arrived here in 1824 and soon became the leader of the small settlement that grew along the New River. On January 6, 1836, local Indians attacked Cooley's homestead, killing . . . — Map (db m127510) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — King-Cromartie House
In 1907, Edwin T. King, the town's first builder, a boatwright and an early citrus grower, built his third home on the south bank of the New River near what is now US 1. It remained the King family home until 1968. King's daughter Louise and her . . . — Map (db m127492) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — Philemon Nathaniel Bryan House
Philemon and Lucy Bryan's home was built in 1905 by contractor Edwin T. King at the request of their two sons, Reed and Tom. Philemon and Lucy first lived in a wood-frame house that had been converted into the Bryan Hotel. The New River Inn replaced . . . — Map (db m127489) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — Shippey HouseBuilt in 1914
Residence of Judge Frederick Bleeker Shippey Broward County's second appointed Judge servicing from 1920 to 1933. He was most often sought out to perform marriages to notables and celebrities — Map (db m127509) HM
Florida (Broward County), Ft. Lauderdale — Early 19th Century British Admiralty Anchor
Believed to be from the wreck of the British cartel ship "L'Athenaise" sunk Nov 1, 1804 with 179 French prisoners of war.

Found off Barefoot Mailman Hotel, Hillsboro Beach in 1967 by Dr. Donald King Bob Jordan Mel Fisher Rupert Gates . . . — Map (db m127814) HM

Florida (Broward County), Ft. Lauderdale — F-951 — Fort Lauderdale High School, 1915-1962 Home of the Flying L'S
On this 13-acre site, bounded by Broward Boulevard, South Federal Highway, SE 3rd Avenue, and SE 2nd Street, stood the original Fort Lauderdale High School. The land was donated by Frank and Ivy Strahanan, Fort Lauderdale’s first school teacher. . . . — Map (db m127762) HM
Florida (Broward County), Hillsboro Beach — F-872 — Hillsboro Inlet Lighthouse
This lighthouse is one of five skeletal cast-iron towers built by the Russel Wheel and Foundry Co. in Detroit, Michigan. The optical system was built in 1906 by Barbier Benard et Turren in Paris, France. Following its construction, the lighthouse . . . — Map (db m127765) HM
Florida (Broward County), Hillsboro Beach — The Barefoot Mailman1885-1892
Before there were roads in South Florida, U.S. Mail carriers known collectively as "The Barefoot Mailman" risked their lives to deliver the mail. They traversed a 68 mile route - 20 by boat and 48 by foot - along the Atlantic Coast between Palm . . . — Map (db m127783) HM
Florida (Broward County), Pompano Beach — Indian Mound Park
Bird Sanctuary

This mound was constructed as a place for ceremonial burial by prehistoric Indians about the year 1300 A.D.- It is believed that they were ancestors of the tribe known as the "TEQUESTA INDIANS"

Given to the people of . . . — Map (db m128278) HM

Florida (Broward County), Pompano Beach — F-991 — The Pompano Colored School
(Side 1) The first school for Pompano Beach’s African American students was a two-room wooden building that was destroyed in the 1926 Great Miami hurricane. Classes were held in the Psalters Temple AME Church until a new schoolhouse could . . . — Map (db m137400) HM
Florida (Calhoun County), Blountstown — Governor Fuller Warren
Born 11/03/05 Died 09/23/73 To the east lies the burial site of Fuller Warren, Governor of Florida from 1949 to 1953. A World War II veteran, Governor Warren also served in the State House of Representatives. As Governor, he sponsored many . . . — Map (db m110977) HM
Florida (Charlotte County), Charlotte Harbor — Charlotte Harbor Cemetery
Established in 1879, Charlotte Harbor Cemetery is the oldest known cemetery in Charlotte County and the final resting place of many local pioneers who braved a subtropical wilderness and Civil War reconstruction to build a settlement on the . . . — Map (db m101018) HM
Florida (Charlotte County), Charlotte Harbor — Hickory Bluff Cemetery
The Hickory Bluff Cemetery was established in the late 1800s, adjacent to land purchased on June 2, 1884 by July Roberts, an early African-American settler. Initial burials began following the Civil War when freed African-Americans settled in the . . . — Map (db m128325) HM
Florida (Charlotte County), Charlotte Harbor — Hickory Bluff Pioneers
After the Civil War (1861-1865), soldiers stationed in Florida decided to stay for the warm climate as well as for political and financial gain. Some became early pioneers here in Hickory Bluff, not far from the 1872 Charlotte Harbor post office.

. . . — Map (db m101021) HM

Florida (Charlotte County), Charlotte Harbor — Trinity United Methodist Church
A congregation has met at Trinity United Methodist Church continuously since 1873. The first church organized in today's Charlotte County, its members have been an integral part of our history. Joel and Jesse Knight, James McKay and Jacob Summerlin . . . — Map (db m101019) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Crystal River — Crystal Street Historic Oak Canopy
At one time, and for many years until the 1950's, Crystal Street was the main thoroughfare into Crystal River for travelers coming from Lecanto and Inverness. In 1907, because of its role as the gateway into Crystal River, a group of ladies from the . . . — Map (db m121120) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Crystal River — Historic Crystal River Train Depot
The first railroad depot in Citrus County was located on this site soon after the completion of the county's first rail line from Dunnellon in 1887. Constructed by the Silver Springs, Ocala and Gulf Railroad, the spur line would be continued to . . . — Map (db m121118) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Floral City — The Historic Duval House
In 1863 John Paul Formy-Duval and his wife Elizabeth Ann Trantham bought land from Allen Munden and began building their home. During the process of construction, the Duvals discovered that they had been building their house a few hundred yards . . . — Map (db m119137) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Hernando — Church of the Nazarene Hernando/Architectural Description
(side 1) Church of the Nazarene Hernando Hernando, named for Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto, was founded in 1881 by the Croft and Van Ness families. Beside the Tsala Apopka lakes their citrus groves thrived. Development followed . . . — Map (db m112147) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Homosassa Springs — F-696 — Florida Boom Sidewalk
The wide sidewalks of Homosassa Springs are a reminder of the 1920s Florida Land Boom in Citrus County. In 1924, at the height of the boom, the Florida West Coast Development Company bought several thousand acres in what is now Homosassa Springs and . . . — Map (db m67594) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Inverness — Fort Cooper
Fort Cooper was constructed in April 1836 during the Second Seminole War. General Winfield Scott instructed the First Georgia Battalion of Volunteers under the leadership of Major Mark Anthony Cooper to build two bastions and a blockhouse on the . . . — Map (db m93258) HM
Florida (Clay County), Fleming Island — F-928 — St. Margaret's Episcopal Church and Cemetery
Hibernia Plantation was founded in 1790 by Irish immigrant George Fleming on a 1,000-acre grant from the Governor of Spanish East Florida. George died in 1821 and his son Lewis inherited Hibernia. Lewis had three children by his first wife. After . . . — Map (db m128318) HM
Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — F-1042 — Dr. Applegate House
Originally from Indiana, Dr. Joseph W. Applegate moved to Florida after the Civil War to work with the Freedmen's Bureau at Magnolia Springs. He later partnered with John H. Harris to operate the Clarendon Hotel (c. 1871) in Green Cove Springs. By . . . — Map (db m135555) HM
Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — Sharon Baptist ChurchOrganized November 15, 1885
Organized by the Rev. James Hickey. Charter Members: Robert and Adeline Hogarth, Mr. and Mrs. J.M. Tolar, Mrs. Sarah Smith, Mrs. Mahoney, Mr. and Mrs. R.B. Sullivant, and Mrs. Celia Weeks. Property for church given by T.H. and C.B. Hayden. Cemetery . . . — Map (db m110522) HM
Florida (Clay County), Keystone Heights — F-1033 — Magnolia Lake State Park
Situated on the site of Camp Blanding, between Sandhill and Brooklyn lakes, are the remnants of Magnolia Lake State Park. A relic from the time of segregation, Magnolia Lake was built to provide separate facilities to serve African American . . . — Map (db m135964) HM
Florida (Clay County), Keystone Heights — F-398 — The Bellamy Road
The Old Bellamy Road intersects Highway 100 near this point. In 1824, the First session of the 18th United States Congress appropriated $20,000.00 to develop a public road in the Territory of Florida between Pensacola and St. Augustine. It was to . . . — Map (db m94394) HM
Florida (Clay County), Penney Farms — F-465 — Town of Penney Farms 1927
James Cash Penney (1876-1971), philanthropist and founder of J.C. Penney Department Stores, purchased 120,000 acres in Clay County and invited farmers to claim 40-acre tracts by clearing the land, building houses, growing crops and raising . . . — Map (db m101184) HM
Florida (Collier County), Naples — Crayton Cove
This "Back Bay" area was settled in 1915. As Naples' first sheltered mooring, it became the community center for the pioneers building the Tamiami Trail as well as the fishing industry. The first pharmacy, the first newspaper, and all the important . . . — Map (db m127760) HM
Florida (Collier County), Naples — F-791 — The Naples Canal
The Naples Canal was a monumental prehistoric construction achievement. It was 4,150 feet long (0.8 miles) and bisected an area between the Gulf of Mexico and Naples Bay. The Naples Canal was dug perhaps as early as A.D. 200 by local American . . . — Map (db m127697) HM
Florida (Collier County), Naples — F-268 — The Naples Depot
The Naples Depot, which was completed in 1927, is one of the oldest remaining structures in the City of Naples. The Depot was built to serve as the Seaboard Air Line Railway's southern-most west coast terminal. The coming of railroads to Naples and . . . — Map (db m127698) HM
Florida (Collier County), Naples — The Naples Depot
Built in 1926, by the Seaboard Airline, the Naples Depot welcomed Naples' first passenger train in 1927. Services continued until 1971. Shortly thereafter the Tamiami Trail was completed. These two important infrastructures successfully opened . . . — Map (db m127761) HM
Florida (DeSoto County), Arcadia — F-910 — Arcadia Historic District
The Arcadia Historic District comprises fifty-eight blocks within 340 acres that embody the city's development from the founding of its post office in 1883 through the late 1920s. The Town of Arcadia was incorporated in 1886 following the arrival of . . . — Map (db m110674) HM
Florida (DeSoto County), Arcadia — Arcadia Oak Ridge Cemetery
During the Second World War, the Arnold Plan established six British Flying Training Schools in the United States where Royal Air Force cadets could receive primary flight training under civilian instruction. Many of the thousands of cadets who . . . — Map (db m110865) HM
Florida (DeSoto County), Arcadia — F-685 — Florida Baptist Orphanage
The Florida Baptist Children’s Homes began when the Florida Baptist State Convention authorized the establishment of the Florida Baptist Orphanage in Arcadia in 1901 to care for care for orphaned children until they were 18 years old or were adopted . . . — Map (db m110866) HM
Florida (DeSoto County), Arcadia — The British PlotOak Ridge Cemetery
Buried herein are twenty-three Royal Air Force Cadets who died while in training at U.S. flying training fields in South Florida during W.W.II. — Map (db m110864) HM
Florida (Dixie County), Cross City — F-580 — Triumph the Church and Kingdom of God in Christ
This church, built in 1929, was originally a wood-framed structure and the first church erected in the African-American community of Cross City. The architectural character was retained when it was remodeled and enlarged in 1942. The hand-made . . . — Map (db m67597) HM WM
Florida (Dixie County), Old Town — F-535 — Fletcher Community
The Fletcher Community was established when Dixie County was part of Lafayette County and both were part of their parent county, Madison. In the early 1850s Fletcher families and other families emigrated south from the Carolinas through Georgia, . . . — Map (db m67595) HM
Florida (Duval County), Bayport — French Huguenots in North America
Side 1: This marker commemorates the French Huguenot landing near this site on May 1, 1562, and their lives as colonists on the land until 1565. Hoping to escape religious persecution in Western Europe, the Huguenots set sail to this . . . — Map (db m120345) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-827 — American Revolutionary War Battle of Thomas CreekMay 17, 1777
In May 1777, 400 soldiers from the Continental Army and 165 members of the Georgia militia organized in Sunbury, Georgia, just north of the Florida border for an expedition into British East Florida in retaliation for raids conducted by British . . . — Map (db m93071) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-1032 — Birth of the Allman Brothers Band
On March 23, 1969, an interracial group of Southern musicians held a jam session in the front room of this house, known as the "Gray House." The jam went so well that veteran Muscle Shoals session guitarist Duane Allman barred the doorway and . . . — Map (db m131320) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-790 — Centennial Hall Edward Waters College
Founded in 1866, Edward Waters College (EWC) is the oldest historically black college in Florida. The history of the college is closely tied to the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church. In 1865, the Reverend Charles H. Pearch, a presiding elder . . . — Map (db m93073) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Don Pedro Menendez de Aviles
September 1565 Don Pedro Menendez de Aviles Founder of St. Augustine and Adelantado of the Floridas under Phillip II of Spain voyaged up this river seeking a waterway to Mexico — Map (db m93403) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-150 — Duval County's First Court
Duval County, established August 12, 1822, and named for William Pope DuVal, Florida's first civil governor, held its first court on December 1, 1823. Some 200 settlers gathered at the corner of Market and Forsyth Sts. to watch the session presided . . . — Map (db m92951) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Frederick W. Bruce
Captain Frederick W. Bruce, for whom Bruce Park is named, was born in New Hampshire in 1856. In 1869 young Bruce was sent to live with his uncle Elisha Bruce in St. Augustine, Florida, but that same year, at age 13, ran away to sea, an adventure . . . — Map (db m93090) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Jacksonville And The Movie Industry
Though originally centered around the Theater District of New York City, silent film production companies soon discovered New England winters too harsh for year-round filming. In the winter of 1908 cast and crew of the production company Kalem . . . — Map (db m93088) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-234 — Joseph E. Lee
(side 1) Joseph E. Lee, one of Florida's most distinguished adopted sons, was born in Philadelphia in 1849. Shortly after obtaining a law degree from Howard University in 1873, Lee began to practice in Florida as Jacksonville's first black . . . — Map (db m129570) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Norman Silent Film Studios
While Jacksonville bustled with the activity of motion picture filming during the years 1908 through 1916, by the early 1920s little of the industry remained in town. However, over on Laura Street in the Springfield section of Jacksonville, brothers . . . — Map (db m93419) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-742 — Old Brewster Hospital
Built in 1885 as a private residence, Old Brewster Hospital and Nursing Training School was the first medical facility to serve Jacksonville’s African-American community. Located in the LaVilla neighborhood, the hospital opened in 1901 through the . . . — Map (db m93261) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-774 — Oriental Gardens
Located two miles from downtown Jacksonville, south of Craig Creek in San Marco, Oriental Gardens charmed Jacksonville visitors and residents for nearly two decades. In 1925, George W. Clark began planting overflow from his botanical collection on a . . . — Map (db m93100) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-776 — San Marco
With the opening of the St. John's River Bridge in 1921, South Jacksonville became attractive to developers during the Florida land boom. In 1925, Jacksonville real estate developer Telfair Stockton began work on San Marco, an 80-acre . . . — Map (db m93303) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-842 — Sawpit Bluff Plantation
Side 1 Sawpit Bluff Plantation, located on Black Hammock Island, was built in the 1750s by Edmund Gray. The plantation was named for the sawpit excavated to accommodate the up and down motion of a vertical saw blade. The plantation house . . . — Map (db m92973) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-919 — Second Missionary Baptist Church of LaVilla
The founders of Second Missionary Baptist Church worshipped at Bethel Baptist Church with their slaves masters in the 1830s. They built their first separate wooden sanctuary in 1848 in the African American neighborhood of LaVilla. The first . . . — Map (db m101663) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Seminole War Blockhouse Site
Here stood the blockhouse erected for the defense of the settlers against the Indians during the Seminole War 1835-1842 — Map (db m70535) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-853 — St. Joseph Missionary Baptist Church
This original sanctuary of the St. Joseph Missionary Baptist Church is one of the few remaining institutional buildings directly associated with the old community of Hansontown. Originally a farming cooperative established for black Union soldiers, . . . — Map (db m92954) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — The St. JohnsA River of Many Names
(side 1) Discovered by Juan Bono Quexos, 1520 • First named Rio de Corrientes by Spain • Explored by Pedro Menendez • Called Riviere de Mai by France, 1562-4 • San Mateo, Salamototo and Picolata were among its other Spanish names • Its . . . — Map (db m129642) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-905 — Van Zant House
Musicians Ronnie, Donnie, and Johnny Van Zant spent their formative years growing up in this house with their sisters and parents between the 1950s and 1980s. A serendipitous foul ball hit by Ronnie Van Zant at a nearby park struck future bandmate . . . — Map (db m120254) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-777 — Villa Alexandria
Villa Alexandria, built in the 1870s as the winter home of Alexander and Martha Mitchell of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, once stood near here. Martha Mitchell's brother, Harrison Reed, served as Florida Governor from 1868-73 and lived nearby on the south . . . — Map (db m93119) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville Beach — F-758 — American Red Cross Volunteer Life Saving Corps and Station
In 1912, following the drowning of a prominent citizen, Dr. Lyman Haskell and Clarence MacDonald established and trained Florida’s first U.S. Volunteer Life Saving Corps (VLSC) at this location to protect the lives of bathers on Jacksonville Beach . . . — Map (db m93262) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Century — F-988 — Alger-Sullivan Lumber Company Residential Historic District
In 1901, one of the largest and most advanced southern pine sawmills east of the Mississippi River was built here. In the tradition of the era, the Alger-Sullivan Lumber Company built its own town to house and supply the families of mill workers. By . . . — Map (db m120557) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — F-428 — Brownsville Community
In 1908, shortly after the extension of the trolley line west from Pensacola, Lucius Screven Brown (1874-1963) developed housing on seven blocks bounded by what is now Pace Boulevard, Strong Street, “W” Street and Gadsden Street. Brown’s . . . — Map (db m110450) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — F-762 — Church of the Sacred Heart
The Church of the Sacred Heart was constructed in 1905. The Right Reverend Edward Allen, Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Mobile, which at the time encompassed Pensacola, appointed the pastor of Pensacola’s St. Michael’s Church, Father Robert . . . — Map (db m110476) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — First Public School Building
This was the site of Public School No. 1, the first building erected for a public school in 1875, occupied until Jan. 1887 when a new No. 1 at Palafox & Jackson Sts. opened. W.E. Anderson was School Board President. Here also Mrs. Anna R. Thompson, . . . — Map (db m129638) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — First Telephone Exchange
On September 1, 1880, Southern Bell Telephone Company established a telephone exchange on this site serving 31 telephones. This was the first exchange in Florida to have exclusive operating rights within a Florida municipality. — Map (db m129639) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — Gen. Andrew Jackson Residence
Site of residence of Gen. Andrew Jackson while governor of Florida 1821 Destroyed by fire 1839 — Map (db m93358) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — F-914 — Morrison Family Homestead
Constructed in 1906 by Mabel Lewis, this frame vernacular structure was the home of generations of the Morrison family, including the parents of James Douglas (Jim) Morrison, the lead singer for The Doors. Before Robert Bruce (R.B.) and Frances . . . — Map (db m110467) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — F-841 — Pensacola Lunch Counter Sit-Ins
This building, once occupied by a Woolworth’s five and dime store, played a role in the struggle for civil rights in Florida. In the 1950s and 1960s, African Americans in segregated communities began sit-ins to protest against “whites . . . — Map (db m110472) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — F-843 — USCGC Sebago (WPG/WHEC 42)
Side 1: This berth was once the home of the 255 foot Owasco class patrol gunboat, Sebago (WPG 42), which was commissioned in September 1945 as the United States’ most heavily armed war vessel per foot. The ship carried an initial . . . — Map (db m110471) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region —
Bartram wrote of the security and extent of intracoastal water ways from Virginia's Chesapeake Bay to the Mississippi, in 1774. — Map (db m110475) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola Beach — F-122 — Captain Richard G. Bradford
In this vicinity Captain Richard G. Bradford of Madison was killed on October 9, 1861, during the Battle of Santa Rosa Island. The battle was fought in an attempt to capture Fort Pickens which protected Pensacola Harbor. Bradford was first . . . — Map (db m129614) HM
Florida (Flagler County), Palm Coast — F-124 — Washington Oaks Gardens
Part of a Spanish Land grant to Bautista Don Juan Ferreira in 1815. Developed as a plantation by General Joseph Hernandez, an early Florida planter. George Washington, related to our first president, married Hernandez' daughter, Louisa, in 1844. . . . — Map (db m101645) HM
Florida (Franklin County), Apalachicola — F-179 — Chestnut Street Cemetery of Early Apalachicola(Old City Graveyard)
Chestnut Street Cemetery dates prior to 1831. Interred are some of Apalachicola's founders and molders of her colorful history. Also buried here are many soldiers of the Confederacy and victims of yellow fever and shipwrecks. Seven of the . . . — Map (db m101138) HM
Florida (Franklin County), Apalachicola — F-62 — Franklin County
Named for Benjamin Franklin, the county was created in 1832. Apalachicola, the county seat, which dates back to the times of the Creek Indians, was an important center for cotton trade. The county is noted for agriculture, timber, livestock and sea . . . — Map (db m101140) HM
Florida (Franklin County), Apalachicola — F-740 — The Dr. Alvan W. Chapman House
This classical Greek Revival style house served as the residence of Dr. Alvan Wentworth Chapman, physician, scientist, and eminent botanist, whose research and writings on the flora of the South received international recognition. Born in 1809 in . . . — Map (db m101139) HM
Florida (Franklin County), Apalachicola — F-908 — The Hanserd-Fry House
Constructed ca. 1845, the Hanserd-Fry House is one of Apalachicola's finest examples of Palladian Greek Revival style architecture. The well-preserved house features a symmetrical porch with Tuscan classical columns typical of the Greek Revival . . . — Map (db m100891) HM
Florida (Franklin County), Apalachicola — F-121 — When the River Was King!
(side 1) History records the first shipment of cotton to leave this Port, arrived New York, 1822. Beginning 1836, forty-three, three-storied brick, Cotton Warehouses and Brokerages lined Apalachicola's water front. Their granite-columned . . . — Map (db m101141) HM
Florida (Franklin County), Carabelle Beach — F-855 — Camp Gordon Johnston Training Area
With the approach of World War II, amphibious warfare training centers were hurriedly built. Camp Carrabelle opened in September 1941. Construction began in July 1942 and the camp was renamed in honor of Colonel Gordon Johnston (1874-1934), a highly . . . — Map (db m100897) HM
Florida (Franklin County), Lanark Village — F-371 — Camp Gordon Johnston1942-1946
In June 1942 the U.S. War Department selected a 155,000 acre section of coastal Franklin County to be used as an amphibious warfare training center. Originally called Camp Carabelle, the base was renamed in January 1943 to honor the memory of . . . — Map (db m101177) HM
Florida (Gadsden County), Chattahoochee — Chattahoochee Landing Mound Group
This prehistoric mound is the largest of seven that once stood here at River Landing Park. Believed to date from the Fort Walton time period (A.D. 900-A.D. 1500), its original appearance was that of a flat-topped pyramid. Archaeologists believe that . . . — Map (db m110893) HM
Florida (Gadsden County), Chattahoochee — The Scott Massacre
The first U.S. defeat of the Seminole Wars took place here on November 30, 1817. Several hundred Seminole, Creek and maroon (Black Seminole) warriors came to this site following raids by U.S. troops on the Creek Indian village of Fowltown near . . . — Map (db m113147) HM
Florida (Gadsden County), Havana — Vickers Cemetery
The earliest families in this private cemetery are those of Joshua and Martha Vickers and Bryant and Frances Vickers. It is believed that the first burial was in 1845. The oldest remaining marker is that of Rite Sanders, who died in 1866. The . . . — Map (db m110894) HM
Florida (Glades County), Ortona — F-748 — Hurricane of 1928
The Okeechobee Hurricane of 1928 was the most deadly hurricane ever to strike the state of Florida. An estimated 2500 persons in South Florida died when the storm came ashore on September 16, 1928 near the Jupiter Lighthouse and traveled west across . . . — Map (db m128832) HM
Florida (Gulf County), Port St. Joe — F-21 — Florida's First Railroad
Florida's first railroad was constructed for the Lake Wimico & St. Joseph Canal & Railroad Company. Work began in 1835 and the first train ran in March 1836. The line extended nine miles from St. Joseph to Lake Wimico. The state's first steam . . . — Map (db m129676) HM
Florida (Gulf County), Wewahitchka — Gulf County Old Courthouse
The South Portion of Calhoun County was cut out in 1925 to form Gulf County. Wewahitchka was chosen as the county seat. The first county business was transacted in a local business house until this court house was built in 1927, and served until the . . . — Map (db m101782) HM
Florida (Gulf County), Wewahitchka — St. Joseph and Iola Railroad
Third Steam railroad in Florida. Began operations in May, 1839. Built to transport cotton from Iola, located at Tennessee Bluff on the Apalachicola River, to the city of St. Joseph, 28 miles distant. The gauge was five feet. Baldwin locomotives . . . — Map (db m129675) HM
Florida (Gulf County), Wewahitchka — Wewahitchka Centennial1875-1975
(side 1) Fort Place, or Richard's Fort, five miles south, erected in the early 1800's is considered as the forerunner of Wewahitchka. People lived in the area earlier. Wewahitchka (Indian name for water eyes), first permanent settlement in . . . — Map (db m101420) HM
Florida (Hamilton County), Jasper — F-822 — Florida Branch Railroad
After the Civil War began in 1861, it became critical for the Confederacy to have north and south running railroads to connect existing Florida and Georgia lines to bypass Union blockades at Florida ports. The Confederate government ordered . . . — Map (db m96933) HM
Florida (Hardee County), Wauchula — Site of Fort HartsuffEstablished August 8, 1856
Named in honor of Lt. George C. Hartsuff 2nd Artillery, U.S.A., whose detachment of men were ambushed in the Big Cypress Swamp, December 20, 1855, by the Seminole Indians killing several men and wounding many others. Fort Hartsuff was a . . . — Map (db m110528) HM
Florida (Hendry County), Denaud — F-282 — Fort Denaud
The combined pressure of growing white settlement in Florida and federal policy of relocating Indian tribes west of the Mississippi sparked the outbreak of the 2nd Seminole War in 1835. Controlling the coasts and campaigning in the heart of Seminole . . . — Map (db m128831) HM
Florida (Hendry County), LaBelle — F-429 — Fort Thompson
LaBelle's history begins here, along the Caloosahatchee River, on this old Fort Thompson site. Fort Thompson began c.1838 as a military post during the 2nd Seminole War, named for Lt. Colonel Alexander Thompson, who died in the battle of Okeechobee . . . — Map (db m127268) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Bayport — F-915 — Bayport in the Civil War/The Battle of Bayport
(side 1) Bayport in the Civil War Bayport was a shallow-water gulf port town in the 1850s. The town was designated the Hernando County Seat and a port of delivery by Congress in 1854. Before the Civil War, the port shipped lumber cut . . . — Map (db m110440) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Bayport — F-789 — Bayport's Early Historic Period/Post Civil War Era
Bayport's Early Historic Period During the First Spanish Period (1565-1763) Florida served as a military defense port. In 1763, under British control, agricultural commerce became important. Control of Florida returned to Spain in 1783. In . . . — Map (db m93297) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Bayport — F-788 — The Bayport Area Before Human Occupation/Bayport's First People
(side 1) The Bayport Area Before Human Occupation The fossilized remains of many prehistoric animals and plants are buried in the Bayport area. During the Eocene Period, 45 million years ago (MYA), the Gulf covered this region. . . . — Map (db m93296) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Brooksville — F-510 — Chinsegut Hill
In 1842, South Carolinian Bird M. Pearson staked a claim on 160 acres and called it Mount Airy, one of the few surviving plantations in Florida and one of the oldest houses in Hernando County. Pearson built the manor house's east wing in 1847 and . . . — Map (db m67006) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Brooksville — F-802 — Chocochatti
The first colony of Muskogee-speaking Upper Creek Indians from Alabama was established nearby in 1767. British surveyor/naturalist Bernard Romans identified the settlement as "New Yufala, planted in a beautiful and fertile plain." It later became . . . — Map (db m93307) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Garden Grove — F-1052 — Garden Grove
(Side 1) Garden Grove was carved out of the Chocochatti Hammock, first inhabited by the Upper Creek Nation and then by pioneer families such as the Hopes and Crums. The area remained largely undeveloped up to the 1920s. By that time, the . . . — Map (db m139121) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Richloam — F-994 — Richloam General Store and Post Office
In 1921, the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad (ACL) decided to relocate its depot in Riverland to Richloam. Soon after, in 1922, Postmaster Lucius Sidney "Sid” Brinson moved the Riverland Post Office to the growing community of Richloam and . . . — Map (db m119132) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Spring Lake — Spring Lake Community Center1938
This building was constructed by the Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) in 1938. It was originally proposed to be a building that could be used as a polling place on election days and as a community recreation hall. The School Board saw the . . . — Map (db m93387) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Webster — F-1005 — Richloam
This is the site of the former Schroder Land and Timber Company (SLTC) clubhouse. John Schroder, owner of the SLTC, purchased large tracts of land in Hernando and Pasco counties, including the area later known as Richloam. Built around 1916, the . . . — Map (db m135933) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Weeki Wachee — Bayport
The interior of Central Florida opened for settlement by whites in the mid-1840s following the end of the Second Seminole War. In the absence of roads and railroads, coastal and inland waterways provided the transportation routes essential to . . . — Map (db m67109) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Weeki Wachee — F-939 — Town of Centralia
Side 1: This site was once the location of one of Florida's largest lumber mills. As demand for insect and rot resistant cypress increased, the J.C. Turner Lumber Company began the logging of over 15,000 acres of Red Tidewater Cypress, . . . — Map (db m110443) HM
Florida (Highlands County), Sebring — F-918 — Hendricks Field Memorial Park
This original 72’ flagpole at the Sebring International Raceway marks the geographic center of Hendricks Field, a United States Army Air Force (USAAF) base that operated under the jurisdiction of the 76th Flying Training Wing from 1942-1945. . . . — Map (db m134905) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Bealsville — Bealsville
The community that became known as Bealsville was settled in late 1865 by former slaves from nearby plantations in Hopewell, Springhead and surrounding areas. The original settlers were Steven Allen, Issac Berry, Peter Dexter, Neptune Henry, Mills . . . — Map (db m101009) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Brandon — Brandon Masonic Lodge No. 114, F. & A.M.1890-1990
"Freemasons" have helped build and lead America for over 200 years. The members of the Brandon Masonic Lodge, chartered Jan. 22, 1890, have done the same for their respective communities during the past 100 years. Originally named Hacienda Lodge No. . . . — Map (db m100984) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Brandon — Brandon School
During WWI, the original sandstone brick "Twin Towers" were built on land once belonging to the Brandon family. This school consolidated the area's one-room schoolhouses to better educate the young. The first principal, John T. Bushong, expanded . . . — Map (db m100982) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Lithia — Site of Alderman's FordFirst Crossing Point of the Alafia River in This Vicinity
In 1848, James Alderman settled near this site, a densely forested area, and cut down the steep banks of the Alafia River to make it easier for horses and wagons to ford it. The area became known as Alderman's Ford. As the land to the south of . . . — Map (db m111055) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Plant City — F-987 — Bing Rooming House
The Bing Rooming House was built in 1928, during the period of Plant City's railroad expansion. This two-story, thirteen-room house is a good example of Frame Vernacular construction, typical of that period, and is decorated with intricate mill work . . . — Map (db m131761) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Plant City — Site of Methodist Episcopal Church South1885-1902
Plant City's first church building was erected here by the Methodist congregation established at Ichepucksassa in 1850 by Rev. Samuel Knight. The congregation relocated from Shiloh to the new Town of Plant City where a church was erected under the . . . — Map (db m111090) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Ruskin — Miracle at Cockroach Bay The Leisey Shell Fossils
In the ponds in front of you one of the richest Ice-Age fossil discoveries in the world took place in 1983-84. When amateur paleontologists reported a large accumulation of fossils to the Florida Museum of Natural History, the Leisey Shell Pit and . . . — Map (db m120625) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Seffner — Florida Militia Ambush
Here a SUPPLY TEAM of the Florida Militia 3 wagons & guards Enroute from Ft. Brooke (Tampa) to inland encampments was AMBUSHED & MASSACRED by SEMINOLE INDIANS, May 17, 1856. — Map (db m130072) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Benjamin Field/George N. Benjamin b 1859 d 1926
Benjamin Field In 1896, this land was gifted to the City of West Tampa as a public park by George N. Benjamin, a prominent entrepreneur & early West Tampa leader. The park was built & 2 year later it was used by Theodore Roosevelt & the . . . — Map (db m136019) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Billy Graham Began Here
From the sidewalk in this Franklin St. neighborhood, the Rev. Dr. Billy Graham forty years ago launched his worldwide Christian evangelistic crusade, exhorting derelicts, drunks and "Skid Row" bums. Since then he has preached to more people than any . . . — Map (db m103245) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Capt. Nathaniel Wyche HunterPioneer Environmentalist
This marker honors Capt. Nathaniel Wyche Hunter, a U.S. Army Officer who was stationed at Fort Brook during the 1830's and believed to be Tampa's first environmentalist. Hunter recognized the natural beauty of the land around him and admonished . . . — Map (db m101643) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Captain Joseph FryTampa's First Native Son Died for Cuban Liberty
Captain Joseph Fry was born in Tampa (Fort Brooke) June 14, 1826. As a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, he served with the Navy throughout the world. When the Civil War broke out, Fry fought with courage and capacity for the South in the . . . — Map (db m129943) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Carver City-Lincoln GardensTwo Neighborhoods, One Community, One Vision
In 1928, this area, home to a few homesteaders, fishermen and farmers, witnessed the construction of the first modern homes for African Americans at 4125 West Arch and 4104 West Laurel Streets. It was not until the transition of Black soldiers . . . — Map (db m135953) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Fort Brooke-Confederate Battery
Fort Brooke (Tampa) Established 1824 by Col. George M. Brooke 4th US Infantry, east bank Hillsborough river. Prominent as Army Headquarters Seminole Indian Wars of 1835-42 & 1855-58.

Confederate Battery A parapet mounted by three . . . — Map (db m130076) HM

Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Gordon Keller
Gordon Keller was a beloved citizen of Tampa -- City official, merchant, civic leader, friend -- from 1883 until his death, July 10, 1909. A grief-stricken community subscribed funds to build "a permanent monument" to him, and Gordon Keller Memorial . . . — Map (db m69977) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Hillsborough County Historical Cemetery For All People5901 North 22nd Street
Florida's constitution requires the following: "Counties shall provide for inhabitants who by reason of age, infirmity or misfortune may have claims upon the aid and sympathy of society." Hence, in 1905, the Hillsborough County Board of County . . . — Map (db m101642) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Hyde Park's Bungalow Terrace
Bungalow Terrace was developed by Alfred Swann and Eugene Holtsinger on what was Morrison Grove in 1913. The Bungalow Style home was modeled after the bungalows in California because of the low cost, adaptability, craftsmanship and low maintenance. . . . — Map (db m103198) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Jessamine Flowers Link1870-1973
In 1913, Jessamine Link established Magnolia Troop One, the second Girl Scout Troop in the United States. This was just one year after Juliette Gordon Low organized the country's first Girl Scout troop in Savannah, Georgia in 1912. What is now Hyde . . . — Map (db m101550) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Madame Fortune Taylor Bridge
Fortune and Benjamin Taylor were brought to Florida from South Carolina in the 1850s. They were owned by the Howell family. At the end of the Civil War, the newly freed couple were among the first African Americans to legally marry. Freedom came to . . . — Map (db m120259) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Memorial Highway"Road of remembrance to those who gave their lives for liberty in the World War, 1917-18"
This monument, originally in Oldsmar, was one of two dedicated on January 2, 1921 to mark the beginning and end of the Nation's first "Road to Remembrance" constructed after World War One. They memorialized the 105 men and one woman from . . . — Map (db m101644) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Oaklawn and St. Louis Cemetery
This hallowed ground, set aside as a town burial site in 1850 for rich and poor, whites and slaves alike, is the resting place for many of Tampa's founding fathers, mayors, and county officers.

This cemetery serves as the resting place for a . . . — Map (db m135975) HM

Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-877 — Perry Harvey, Sr., Park Skateboard Bowl
Under Mayor William Poe's direction, the Perry Harvey, Sr., Park Skateboard Bowl opened in 1979 as part of a recreational park for the Central Park Village community. As Florida's first municipal ride-at-your-own-risk skateboard facility, it offered . . . — Map (db m103246) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Picnic Island
During the Spanish-American War in 1898, Port Tampa was the port of embarkation for U.S. Troops going to Cuba to fight An area known as Picnic Island was where the soldiers practiced close order drill and simple maneuvers while tented here. It also . . . — Map (db m130375) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Roberts City
In 1909, cigar manufacturer J.W. Roberts and Sons Company moved into an abandoned cigar factory on Garcia Avenue and Green Street. The neighborhood, bordered on the north and east by the Hillsborough River, on the south by Cass Street, and on the . . . — Map (db m93416) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Roosevelt Elementary School
Theodore Roosevelt was the Assistant Secretary of the Navy when the battleship U.S.S. Maine was sunk in Havana Harbor. After the United States declared war on Spain in April 1898, initiating the Spanish American War, Roosevelt resigned his . . . — Map (db m111049) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Rough Rider Encampment
At the outbreak of the Spanish-American War, this area was the campsite of the 1st United States Volunteer Cavalry Regiment commanded by Colonel Leonard Wood (Medal of Honor recipient) and later Lieutenant Colonel Theodore Roosevelt. Known as . . . — Map (db m132476) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Site of Fort Brooke
On this site Fort Brooke was established in 1824 — Map (db m111053) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — St. Peter Claver Catholic School
In 1893, the Jesuit Fathers at Sacred Heart Church established a school on Morgan Street. St. Peter Claver Catholic School, named for the Spanish Jesuit missionary priest, was founded for the children of the African American community. On February . . . — Map (db m101005) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-850 — Tampa Confederate Salt Works
(side 1) Salt was an essential commodity during the Civil War because it was required for the preservation of meat and fish. When the Confederate states no longer had access to vital sources of salt in West Virginia and Louisiana, . . . — Map (db m103199) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Tampa Free Public Library
Built with a $50,000 grant from industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, the Tampa Free Public Library opened its doors in April 27, 1917, becoming the City of Tampa's first public library. This venture was the result of a sustained . . . — Map (db m110892) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The West Tampa Boys Club
On this site, the West Tampa Boys Club was organized around 1923 at the Rosa Valdez Settlement, a Methodist mission. From 1926 until 1944, the club was a major project of the Tampa Rotary Club. Under leadership of E.S. "Pep" Krantz and Charles . . . — Map (db m103247) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — WDAE ---Florida's First Radio Station
WDAE was the first radio station in Florida to be licensed commercially to operate by the Federal Communications Commission. The license was issued May 15, 1922, to The Tampa Daily Times. It aired its first programs that date from the original . . . — Map (db m130304) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — William Benton Henderson1839-1909
William Benton Henderson was a leading figure in the development of Tampa and Hillsborough County in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. A Georgia native, Henderson arrived in Tampa in 1847 and served as a lieutenant in the Confederate army. . . . — Map (db m132918) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Woolworth Sit-InTampa's Former F.W. Woolworth Store
Side 1 Woolworth's variety store was the scene of a pivotal event that started on February 29, 1960. Clarence Fort, President of the N.A.A.C.P. Youth Council and Reverend A. Leon Lowry, N.A.A.C.P. State president, led about 40 students (from . . . — Map (db m120347) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Temple Terrace — Mrs. Bertha Honoré Palmer(1849-1918)
Bertha Palmer, born in Louisville, Kentucky, was a world-renowned socialite, art patron, successful businesswoman, early feminist, and philanthropist. She played a pivotal role in the creation of the City of Temple Terrace. In 1902, after the death . . . — Map (db m101008) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Temple Terrace — Reverend Billy Graham2011
Near here in 1937, world-recognized evangelist Billy Graham would paddle his canoe across the river to the little island. There he would practice his sermons on the creatures of the river great and small, from alligators to birds. Dr. Graham, one of . . . — Map (db m101007) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Temple Terrace — Reverend Billy Graham
Billy Graham attended Florida Bible Institute, now Florida Coolege, from 1937 to graduation in 1940. A world-recognized evangelist, Dr. Graham is one of the 20th century's best-known Christian leaders and the spiritual advisor to ten United States . . . — Map (db m130108) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Temple Terrace — Spanish Exploration of Temple TerraceApril 25 & 26, 1757
On April 25, 1757, as they explored the Hillsborough River (Rio De San Julian Y Arriaga) and searched for pine trees for ship masts, Don Francisco Maria Celi, Captain of the Spanish Royal Fleet, and 19 armed members of the expedition camped in this . . . — Map (db m100983) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Temple Terrace — Temple Terraces Country Club Sutton Hall
(side 1) The Temple Terraces Country Club was built on the site of the 1910 hunting lodge of world renowned Chicago socialite and businesswoman Bertha Honore Plamer's 19,000 acre "Riverhills Ranch." It opened in 1922 as the centerpiece of . . . — Map (db m93417) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Epworth-By-The-Sea
On this island in 1736 and 1737 lived and labored John and Charles Wesley, George Whitefield, Benjamin Ingham and Charles Delamotte. Leaders in the evangelical revival and founders of The Methodist Church.

They left an imperishable record . . . — Map (db m129260) HM

North Carolina (Catawba County), Hickory — O 32 — "Miracle of Hickory"
Outbreak of polio in June 1944 led to the founding of an emergency hospital 1/2 mile N.E. Closed, 1945. — Map (db m129249) HM
North Carolina (Catawba County), Hickory — O 53 — Claremont College
Founded in 1880 by the Evangelical & Reformed Church as a school for women. Closed in 1916. Stood 300 yards east. — Map (db m129256) HM
North Carolina (Catawba County), Hickory — O 46 — Lenoir Rhyne
Coeducational, Lutheran college, named for W.W. Lenoir and D.E. Rhyne. Opened as Lenoir College in academic year, 1891-92. — Map (db m129252) HM
North Carolina (Catawba County), Hickory — O 80 — Piedmont Wagon Company
Manufacturer of horse-drawn wooden wagons. At peak capacity produced 1000 per month. Operated from 1880 to 1940s 1/10 mile north. — Map (db m129254) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Gastonia — O 18 — North Carolina/South Carolina
North Carolina Colonized, 1585-87, by first English settlers in America; permanently settled c.1650; first to vote readiness for independence, Apr. 12, 1776.

South Carolina Formed in 1712 from part of Carolina, which was chartered . . . — Map (db m129257) HM

South Carolina (Hampton County), Estill — 25-19 — Estill Presbyterian Church
Side 1 This church was founded in 1898 by residents of Estill and Lawtonville who were members of distant Presbyterian churches and desired to organize a congregation here. It held its first services in a school on Fourth St. the first permanent . . . — Map (db m129258) HM

688 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 488
Paid Advertisement