The Lutheran Theological Seminary is the oldest continuing graduate and professional school of the Lutheran tradition in the Americas. Its campus has long been a crossroads of history. We invite you to walk the steps of the soldiers who fought . . . — Map (db m91301) HM
This monument commemorates Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, November 19, 1863.
The Address was delivered about 300 yards from this spot along the upper Cemetery drive. The site is now marked by the Soldiers' National Monument.
Dedicated Jan. . . . — Map (db m90763) HM
"The world shall yet decide,
In truth's clear, far-off light,
That the soldiers who wore the gray, and died
With Lee were in the right!"
"Brave men may die - right has no . . . — Map (db m11279) WM
Abbeville's 6th courthouse - designed in beaux arts classical style by Edwards & Walter of Atlanta - dedicated in 1908 with City Hall/Opera House. (Two buildings indirectly financed by profits from Abbeville Dispensary, only one still operating . . . — Map (db m14870) HM
In Grateful Memory
Of our loves ones from Abbeville County
who stand in the unbroken lines of
patriots who have dared to die that
freedom might live and grow and increase
World War I
Sam Adams, Cleveland . . . — Map (db m11859) WM
Abbeville was a railway stopover for "road companies" traveling eastern seaboard from New York to Atlanta so town included an Opera House in its new municipal building designed by Edwards & Walter of Atlanta.
Dedicated October 1st, 1908 . . . — Map (db m10354) HM
The heart of Abbeville's Historic District is the magnificent tree-shaded Court Square. Located here is the replica of the original Confederate Monument erected in August, 1906 by the Daughters of the Confederacy, an old iron bell once used as . . . — Map (db m12097) HM
Opened August 1903 as $30,000 hotel "The Eureka" under management W.T. McFall. Built to cater to "drummers" of the textile trade with 30 rooms and 1 public bath. Banquet rooms used to show their wares while Curtain Call Lounge was a barber shop. . . . — Map (db m7169) HM
On this land settled by his father Patrick Calhoun in the 1750s, defended against the Indians in the Cherokee War and the enemies of liberty in the American Revolution, John Caldwell Calhoun, American statesman and champion of the old South, was . . . — Map (db m10626) HM
Front (East) Inscription
Abraham Boey came from Sterlingshire, Scotland to Charles County, Md. about 1700. His son John had six sons, one being Rhodi who married Ann Price. Rhodi's six children moved to Abbeville County, S.C. ca. . . . — Map (db m43827) HM
Erected by the descendants of
Abraham Bowie, born in Scotland
and settled in Durham Parish,
Charles County, Maryland, about
1700 A.D. The family of his grandson
Rhody Bowie, moved to Abbeville
County, South Carolina about 1800.
Eli . . . — Map (db m9338) HM
Burt-Stark House When Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederacy, left Richmond after its fall in April 1865, he traveled south, trying to reach and rally the remnants of his army. On May 2, he spent the night at the home of Col. Armistead . . . — Map (db m10564) HM
Colonial Block House
A "block house," a log building on a stone foundation, stood SE on Parker Creek from ca. 1767 into the 1850's. It was built by Andrew Pickens (1759-1817), later a militia general in the American Revolution, a state . . . — Map (db m77340) HM
In memory of the first person, a young girl whose name is unknown. Buried here about 1760. The story goes that she was visiting the Lesly family and died as a result of injuries sustained while they were making lye soap. John Lesly and his . . . — Map (db m18756) HM
"Lord God of Hosts, Be With Us Yet,
Lest We Forget, Lest We Forget
On the hillside in the rear of this memorial on November 22, 1860, the first organized secession meeting was held.
On that day the ancient . . . — Map (db m11691) HM
West FacadeSeal of the U.S. Army
World War II
to the Glory of God
and to the Men of All
South FacadeSeal of the U.S. Navy
World War I
In Loving Memory
of Our Sons Who Gave . . . — Map (db m41335) HM
Historical Bicentennial marker
in memory of
Henry McNeal Turner
Birthplace: Newberry, South Carolina - Boyhood home: Abbeville, South Carolina
Missionary Pioneer to South Africa, Liberation Theologian, Social and Political . . . — Map (db m20249) HM
One of 125 watering troughs/fountains presented to communities around the U.S. in early 1900's by National Humane Alliance with endowment from Herman Lee Ensign, founder. Minnie Maddern Fiske (1865-1932), actress/activist (husband president of the . . . — Map (db m11856) HM
This tablet was placed here
the last meeting of the
Confederate States Cabinet
which was held in the Burt House near by
directly in front of this stone.
The following cabinet members were present:
Jefferson . . . — Map (db m73949) HM
Original building of 1827 replaced by present building in 1963. standing on this rock, the first sermon was preached by Rev. R.B. Carter in 1820. The following ministers have faithfully served this church:
Rev. Richard . . . — Map (db m37588) HM
This cemetery, sometimes called Upper Long Cane Cemetery, dates from 1760. It includes the graves of some of the most prominent families of this area from the Colonial era to the present. The first marked grave is the field . . . — Map (db m50740) HM
The Lynching of Anthony Crawford
In Abbeville on Saturday, October 21, 1916, a white mob lynched a black leader named Anthony Crawford for cursing a white man. A 56-year-old planter, "Grandpa" Crawford owned 427 acres of land, had 13 . . . — Map (db m101841) HM
Birthplace of Thomas Dry Howie (1908–1944), World War II hero famous as “The Major of St. Lτ,” Abbeville High School, Class of 1925. The Citadel, Class of 1929, where he was an all-state football player and was . . . — Map (db m9344) HM
In Memory of
Marilyn Anne McKinney
President of the Rhodi Bowie
Family Historical Society
from 1989 until her death June 17, 1995. She was an outstanding leader earning our love and support. — Map (db m20781) HM
This 1888 Queen Anne house was the home of Gen. Samuel McGowan (1819-1897) until his death. McGowan, a lawyer, Confederate general, and jurist born in Laurens Co., had moved to Abbeville in 1841. He was an officer during the . . . — Map (db m21732) HM
Designed by S. Henry James to house first Bank of South Carolina in the Upstate (later became National Bank of Abbeville). One of oldest remaining buildings on the Square after a series of downtown fires in 1870s destroyed much of downtown.
Bank . . . — Map (db m11918) HM
At 832 feet, Parsons Mountain holds the title of the highest point in the general geographic area surrounding Parsons Mountain. Mr. James Parsons, the mountain's namesake, acquired it through a land grant in 1772. In the mid 1800s, gold was . . . — Map (db m43727) HM
5.5 miles southeast is the burial ground of Patrick and Martha Caldwell Calhoun, Parents of John C. Calhoun; Deputy Surveyor 1756; First Representative from Up Country to Commons House of Assembly, 1769-1772; Member of First Provincial Congress, . . . — Map (db m10627) HM
This house, built ca. 1786, is thought to be the oldest house in Abbeville. It was built as a two-story log building by John Quay, who also ran a tavern here. He sold it ca. 1798 to James Wardlaw (1767-1842) and his wife, Quay's . . . — Map (db m86812) HM
One of the first organized mass meetings held here on November 22, 1860, to launch South Carolina's secession from the Union. Judge A.G. Magrath of Charleston, urged "immediate action on the part of South Carolina at any & every hazard", followed by . . . — Map (db m11686) HM
On November 22, 1860, a mass meeting on this site was one of the first held in the South after Abraham Lincolns election as president on November 6. A procession from the town square, numbering 2,000 to 3,000, made its way to a . . . — Map (db m41700) HM
Queen Anne style Architecture Built in 1888
Once Owned by Confederate Gen. Samuel McGowan and by WWII Gen. W.E. Barksdale
Donated by J.D. Bundy in 1989 to the Abbeville County Historical Society
Now serves as Headquarters for the Society . . . — Map (db m16129) HM
Near here, from 1807 to 1817, were
situated the law offices of
John C. Calhoun.
Born in the Long Canes District of Abbeville March 18, 1782.
Died, Washington D.C.
March 31, 1850.
Member of Congress
Secretary of War . . . — Map (db m7352) HM
The original livery stable on this site is believed to have been built in the 1840s. It was a wooden structure, and was lost during a devastating fire in 1872 that also destroyed much of downtown Abbeville. The current brick and masonry livery . . . — Map (db m41130) HM
The Greek Revival residence of Thomas Chiles Perrin (1805-1878), prominent Abbeville District lawyer, planter, businessman, and politician, stood here from 1858 until it burned in 1877. When completed the house was described as . . . — Map (db m9358) HM
Trinity Episcopal Church is the oldest standing church in Abbeville. With its classic Gothic architecture and 125-foot steeple, it dominates the Abbeville skyline. Built by a congregation made prosperous by the economy of cotton in the antebellum . . . — Map (db m11921) HM
In Memory of
those who lost their
lives in World War
I and II
Burton, Harold A.
Clark, Marshall L.
Cox, Clarence W.
Hagood, Martin D.
Hilley, James . . . — Map (db m25199) HM
Half mile southeast is Millwood, home of James Edward Calhoun, 1796-1898, son of John Ewing and Floride Bonneau Calhoun and brother-in-law of John C. Calhoun. After serving as lieutenant in the U.S. Navy, he developed Millwood, which ultimately . . . — Map (db m9439) HM
Named in honor
of a distinguished South Carolinian
in recognition of his
to the life and welfare
of this state and its citizens
Member, House of Representatives
1923-1924 Anderson County
1927-1930 Spartanburg . . . — Map (db m9437) HM
On the upper Savannah River near Elberton, Ga., and Calhoun Falls, S.C. lies the Richard B. Russell Dam and Lake -- authorized for construction by the Flood Control Act of 1966 for the purposes of hydropower generation, recreation and flood . . . — Map (db m15876) HM
Calhoun Falls State Recreation Area is located on Lake Russell, one of South Carolina's most popular and undeveloped large reservoirs. Lake Russell was created in 1984 and the 26,650-acre reservoir is surrounded by another 26,000 acres of public . . . — Map (db m41448) HM
Surveyed in 1762 by Patrick Calhoun and named for Gov. Thomas Boone, this 20,500-acre township was one of four townships laid out west of Ninety-Six as a buffer between white and Cherokee lands. In 1763 Scots-Irish families began to settle in the . . . — Map (db m10605) HM
The Donalds Grange No. 497 is significant for both its architecture and its contribution to the social development of the community and Abbeville County. For these reasons, Donalds Grange No. 497, Patrons of Husbandry, was entered into the . . . — Map (db m12112) HM
Named after the city in France, Abbeville County has a rich historical and cultural heritage. The town of Abbeville, the county seat, is known for its quaint tree-lined square with bricked streets; the famous 1908 historic Opera House and its . . . — Map (db m14843) HM
The last action of the Revolution in this part of S.C. was at Pratt's Mill, a grist mill on the Little River owned by Joseph Pratt. On October 30, 1781, an outpost of 30 Patriots at the mill, under Capt. John Norwood, was . . . — Map (db m20821) HM
The initial gift and a substantial contribution toward the construction of this sign were donated by members of the Class of 1995 as a memorial to their classmate, Angela Marlow Newton, whose untimely death in her senior year at Erskine College . . . — Map (db m12098) HM
In gratitude for the lasting benefits Bryson College provided for so many students, her Alumni and Friends have provided this Memorial Fountain to perpetuate the "Associate Reformed Presbyterian College in the West." This fountain is dedicated in . . . — Map (db m14782) HM
As early as 1765 the site 6 miles NW known to the Indians as Yellow Water, where the Keowee Path crossed the Cherokee line, was called DeWitt's Corner. In 1777 a treaty between S.C. and the Cherokee Indians was signed there. The present town was . . . — Map (db m10602) HM
Erskine College was founded in 1839 by the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church as South Carolina's first four-year church-related college. The college grew out of an academy for men established in 1835 and seminary founded two years later at . . . — Map (db m14793) HM
Due West Female College
and for near twenty two years
By the Alumnae and
to the Memory of . . . — Map (db m15790) HM
Servant of Christ.
Born Feb. 11, 1843
Died Sept. 3, 1899.
from 1871 to 1899.
His service is
measured not by
years but by results.
He still lives in
hundreds of useful . . . — Map (db m14835) HM
This church, named for nearby Broadmouth Creek, was organized in 1837 with nine charter members. Rev. William P. Martin was its first minister, and William Long and Noah Riddle Reeve were its first deacons. This tract was . . . — Map (db m36914) HM
Born in Virginia 1770
Migrated to South Carolina 1790
Died Level Land 1855
First Wife, Nancy Jarrett - Three
of Twelve Children of This Union
Married Sons of Zachariah Carwile.
Second Wife, Nancy Pinson - Eleven . . . — Map (db m49923) HM
April 1, 1962
Relocated & Renamed
Rev. Dale Ashley, Pastor
June 2, 1985
Rev. Norton Craig, Pastor
November 22, 1987
Rev. Jimmy Smith, Pastor
On this 25th Anniversary
To God We Give . . . — Map (db m37558) HM
In May 1777 a delegation of roughly 600 Cherokee and representatives from South Carolina and Georgia met near this spot to engage in negotiations that would end fighting in the Second Cherokee war, 1776-1777. On May 20, 1777 the . . . — Map (db m87309) HM
Forty graves in this cemetery
containing the remains of
Bartlett Tucker (1874-1861)
and members of his family
were relocated to this spot
from 0.22 acres s/w known as
Tract No. 1300 C-2 in 1983.
There were no identifiable marked . . . — Map (db m58757) HM
April 4, 1920
June 12, 1900
May 23, 1897
Annie L. Manning
March 18, 1904
Dec. 20, 1907
March 14, 1903
W. Lester . . . — Map (db m57903) HM
[Front]: This town, established in 1823, grew up around a store owned by Matthew Young (1803-1876), who was also postmaster 1831-43. It was first called Pressly's Station, for the post office opened in 1823 with David Pressly (1764-1834) . . . — Map (db m9397) HM
Dedicated to all Veterans of
Abbeville County, S.C.
to the Honor and Memory
of Those Who Bravely
Served to Keep Our Country
a Land of
[East Facing, Left Inscription]
U.S. Air Force Seal / U.S. Marine Corps . . . — Map (db m42418) HM
Named in 1982
in honor of
a dedicated public
ardent supporter of
the construction of
Richard B. Russell Dam
Member, S.C. House
1949 — 1953
Served also as
Abbeville County Council
Mayor, Lowndesville . . . — Map (db m9442) HM
In Memory of Those Who
Died in the Vietnam War
Adams, Dwayne Lonnie
Adams, Joseph Boyce
Barton, Jere A.
Callahan, Clifton Eugene
Clark, Allen Howell
Douse, James Louis
Gay, James . . . — Map (db m86815) HM
In this building on
October 31, 1898
the author Jeff Scott
began collecting notes for
the Southern novel
Beneath The Glass Door.
Due to unforeseen circumstances
the book was not completed until
much later. Out of the scenic . . . — Map (db m86818) HM
A sesquicentennial memorial gift to the city of Aiken by the family of Thomas H. Williamson (1888-1962), former county treasurer, member of the Aiken County Historical Commission and direct descendant of this cabin's builder. — Map (db m102353) HM
For many years, the water trough was located behind the County Courthouse. The following are to be commended for their efforts in restoring and re-establishing the trough as its new location on South Boundary.
Aiken County Historical Commission . . . — Map (db m102364) HM
URS Corporation on the occasion of the City of Aiken's 175th year, graciously donated this symbolic representation of William Aiken Sr. (1779-1831), for whom the city was named in 1835. Aiken was an entrepreneur and president of the South Carolina . . . — Map (db m86825) HM
The history of the brass cannon reflects the history of the Upstate of South Carolina during some of its most critical eras of conflict and change. The "Old Reformer" is also one of the oldest artifacts in the Upstate, since it arrived here . . . — Map (db m42194) HM
This area planted in appreciation of
Mr. & Mrs. Wilton E. Hall
who since April 7, 1955 have contributed the facilities of radio stations WAIM & WCAC-FM to carry the ministry of this class to many thousands of people each Sunday morning. . . . — Map (db m65189) HM
This building was made possible by the
generous support of
The Abney Foundation
John R. Fulp, Jr.
It will forever serve as a tribute to the dedication and work of the many thousands of men and women who are a part of the . . . — Map (db m19810) HM
formerly stood at the
"Home of the Yellow Jackets"
Anderson Boys' High School
was located on this site.
The school educated many of
our city's young men from
the year . . . — Map (db m59359) HM
(Crossed swords in scabbards with a laurel wreath - representing the cavalry.)
(Confederate Battle Flag)
"Though conquered, we adore it!
Love the cold dead hands that bore it!"
. . . — Map (db m10732) HM
This is Anderson County's second court house. It stands on the site of the first small brick court house where the first court session in Anderson was held on the third Monday in October, 1820. The present building of pronounced Victorian . . . — Map (db m10692) HM
The location of the Anderson County Courthouse Annex on the corner of Fant and River Street has unique significance to Anderson's history. The site is the location of the 1865 federal encampment of the First Maine, 33rd Regiment, United States . . . — Map (db m19838) HM
This Building was originally constructed in the 1930's for use as the Anderson Petroleum Company. It was renovated in the fall of 2005 to be the new home of the Anderson County Farmers Market Pavilion.
2005 Anderson County
Farmers Market . . . — Map (db m42257) HM
Remembering those that gave
their lives protecting people
"...We are the defenders from fire, of the art which has beautified the world, the product of the genius of man and the means of refinement of mankind. But, . . . — Map (db m19915) HM
A memorial to the Memory of the law enforcement officers of Anderson County South Carolina who gave their lives in the line of duty. Their valor and sacrifice will be long remembered.
William Gibson Anderson Police Dept. . . . — Map (db m11399) HM
For over a decade, the Board of Trustees, the staff, and Friends of the Anderson County Library have pursued a dream of building a library adequate in size and scope to meet the needs of the community. Today, the original Carnegie-endowed Anderson . . . — Map (db m81274) HM
This monument is dedicated to the war veterans of Anderson County. On its walls are listed the names of our natives who served in World War I, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, and the Persian Gulf War. In addition, the monument lists . . . — Map (db m21367) WM
Founded in 1888, Anderson Cotton Mills, later a division of Abney Mills, was the first textile plant established in the town of Anderson. It is said to be the first textile mill in the United States powered by electricity transmitted over long . . . — Map (db m52093) HM
The first municipal airport in Anderson was just a grassy field located near where the Civic Center now stands. An historical marker notes the site where Amelia Earhart landed there on November 14, 1931.
In the early 1930s land was purchased . . . — Map (db m53938) HM
Anderson was dubbed "The Electric City" in 1895 when William C. Whitner, an engineer and native of Anderson, built a hydroelectric power plant which was the first in the South to transmit electricity over long distances. The . . . — Map (db m10693) HM
This building was erected as the home of the Bank of Anderson, an outgrowth of the Anderson National Bank founded in 1872 with Col. Joseph Newton Brown as president. The early bank was located on the west side of the square. It was the second . . . — Map (db m21221) HM
This building was erected as a passenger station for the Blue Ridge Railroad. It bridges the railroad cut under North Main Street which was excavated by the Blue Ridge Railroad Company as part of a project to build a line over the mountains to . . . — Map (db m94745) HM
The original Anderson High School sat on the corner of North Fant and East Calhoun Streets. All grade levels were taught despite being called a high school. This school burned down in 1904 and was rebuilt the following year. Due to overcrowding, . . . — Map (db m65305) HM
Built in the 1930s by Frank R. Thompson, this building was the main street depot for the Anderson Petroleum Company and Dixie Distributors, Inc., both successful petroleum distributors in Anderson, Oconee, Pickens, . . . — Map (db m42762) HM
This building constructed in 1912
is named in honor of
Dr. Annie Dove Denmark
associated with Anderson College for
36 years, serving as President of the
college from 1928-1953. Dr. Denmark
was a resident of this dormitory
during . . . — Map (db m19738) HM
This church, formally organized by about 1800, is thought to be the oldest Methodist congregation in Anderson County. Circuit riders and other itinerant ministers held early services in a nearby brush arbor. Its first and second . . . — Map (db m55621) HM
This store is the oldest business firm in Anderson. It has been owned and operated consistently by the same family for 175 years. Established by George W. Fant and originally named G.W. Fant & Son the store is an outgrowth of Dr. Edmund Webb's Drug . . . — Map (db m21292) HM
Veterans Who Are buried
in Flat Rock Cemetery
Harry Drake, Daniel Y. Culbertson, J.C. Culbertson, Luther M. Borders, John T Neims, Charles A. Thornton, Berry Faine, Edward . . . — Map (db m54779) HM
Miss Sarah Jane (Janie) Frierson was a well known educator and the daughter of Dr. David Frierson, an early pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Anderson. Miss Frierson opened her one room school in the late 1880s. One room schools of this . . . — Map (db m42189) HM
Entered on the National Register
of Historic Places
December 13, 1971
Federal Postal Station
Anderson, South Carolina
Thomas Harlan Ellett
This . . . — Map (db m19912) HM
This building was erected as the home of G.F. Tolly Furniture Company, an outgrowth of Anderson's first cabinet shop established at this site by Ezekiel George. George F. Tolly entered business with Mr. George in 1856. Later married George's . . . — Map (db m42725) HM
The Anderson County Museum is situated on the former site of Anderson Girls High School. The original structure, an imposing multi-story brick building, was built in 1918. At that time, both boys and girls attended the school known as Anderson . . . — Map (db m42249) HM
2.9 miles south on Rocky River
Anderson Water, Light, & Power Co.,
organized in 1894 by
William C. Whitner,
was successful the next year
in transmitting electricity over
the distance of six miles
This achievement was a . . . — Map (db m88441) HM
This Baptist church, which was first located about 1.5 miles northwest, was constituted in 1803. The congregation moved to the present 4.4 acre site after it was surveyed December 14, 1822. Two houses of worship were built here before 1891, when . . . — Map (db m10668) HM
In this burial ground
the first public burial ground
in the City of Anderson, S.C.,
rest fifty or more persons
known only to God.
This plaque is in honor of
those unnamed persons who
lived and died as a part
of the Anderson . . . — Map (db m54638) HM
A mobile, full tracked, lightly armored antiaircraft & ground support weapon system.
Manufactured by Cadillac at the Cleveland Tank Arsenal in the 1950s.
Weight of 49,500 pounds and a crew of six.
Powered by a continental air cooled . . . — Map (db m19918) HM
This is the second Masonic Temple to occupy this location. After its organization in 1848, Hiram Lodge No. 68 met in the second story of a store building on the east side of the square for several years. The first temple was erected at this . . . — Map (db m38438) HM
McDuffie High School stood
proudly at this location from
1964 until 1996. Serving
Anderson as a comprehensive
vocational high school,
McDuffie enrollment averaged
1000 students each year it was
open. Many of Anderson's
current . . . — Map (db m59360) HM
The McGee Harness Shop was located on the corner of West Benson Street in downtown Anderson. Mr. James L. McGee was listed in the 1905 Anderson City Directory as a dealer in stock, buggies, wagons, and harnesses. By 1910, the small shop located . . . — Map (db m42151) HM
Organized in 1789 initially as an Arm
of the Shockley Ferry Church.
Known for a time as Bethesda.
Cooper Bennett was its first pastor.
The oldest church in the Saluda Baptist
Association, it has been a Lighthouse
for the lost and a . . . — Map (db m10132) HM
In Memory of
Mrs. J.D. Chapman
First President of Woman's Missionary Union
Auxiliary to South Carolina Baptist Convention
Dedicated Christian Missions Leader
of Vision and Ability
Honored by Name of WMU State . . . — Map (db m19867) HM
Located 1.09 miles northwest, this cemetery marks the original site of Hopewell Baptist Church which was constituted in 1803. The cemetery contains graves of Revolutionary and Confederate veterans. Some graves are marked by field stones with . . . — Map (db m10724) HM
The first cotton gin to be powered by electricity transmitted over a long distance stood near this site on the farm of Oliver "Duck" Bolt (1847-1922). In 1897 Bolt, whose gin had previously been powered by a steam engine, contracted with the . . . — Map (db m15161) HM
Deeded to the City in 1992, these humble grounds are the final resting place for some Orr Mill employees and family members dating to the 1800s. Numerous graves are here, marked and unmarked, including infants.
Help us improve these unique . . . — Map (db m50102) HM
The Orr Monument was never a tombstone, but a cenotaph, or memorial, to Colonel James L. Orr, son of South Carolina Governor James L. Orr. Colonel Orr was an Anderson native, the founder and president of Orr Cotton Mills, and a well known . . . — Map (db m42246) HM
In 1889, the City of Anderson contracted with a 26 year old native son, an engineering graduate of the University of South Carolina, to build a steam power plant and water system for the city. Keeping up with the . . . — Map (db m10697) HM
Half mile West on Seneca River
the Portman Shoals Power Plant,
built by William C. Whitner,
began in 1897 the transmission
of high-voltage electricity over
the longest lines then in use for
that purpose in the United States.
The . . . — Map (db m10696) HM
The idea for a memorial fountain to honor General Robert Anderson, the American Revolutionary hero for whom our county is named, was part of an overall plan to beautify downtown Anderson. Through the efforts of Mrs. Rufus Fant and the Anderson . . . — Map (db m42186) HM
Organized in 1789 and sometimes called Simpson's Meetinghouse, this church is one of Anderson County's oldest Presbyterian churches. The Reverend John Simpson was the first minister, and the Reverend David Humphreys served here for 39 years until . . . — Map (db m31002) HM
After another high school was built, Reed Street High was renamed Perry Elementary School.
Perry Elementary later became known as
Perry Child Development Center.
This memorial is dedicated to the students teachers and principals who were a . . . — Map (db m60542) HM
The home of Judge Joseph N. Whitner, Anderson County's founding father, was located at the crest of this will. It stood until recent years when it was torn down. Judge Whitner was a South Carolina House of Representative from Pendleton District . . . — Map (db m59361) HM
Organized in 1828, this
was the first church in
Anderson. A log meeting
house built in 1830 on
West Benson Street served
the church until 1858
when a frame building
was erected on this site.
A brick church replaced
it in 1888. The . . . — Map (db m10733) HM
This is the first Negro church established in Anderson County. It was founded immediately after emancipation and incorporated in 1873. The Rev. Philip Morris was its first pastor. The present edifice, built in 1903, replaced two earlier frame . . . — Map (db m60543) HM
This building was erected in 1891 and has been the home of Sullivan Hardware Company since 1903. In earlier years it was occupied by the Alliance Store operated by Rufus Hill. The Sullivan Firm was founded as a general merchandise store by J.M. . . . — Map (db m42745) HM
Anderson's Jewish Community dates to the antebellum era but grew significantly after 1900 with the arrival of several families from Eastern Europe. This congregation founded as Temple B'nai Israel (Sons of Israel) as early as 1911. . . . — Map (db m77333) HM
Civic Center of Anderson - 1992
Chris Taylor Memorial Park - Dedicated 1998
Anderson Sports Complex - 1999
Anderson County Amphitheater - 1999
The Anderson County Sports and Entertainment Center . . . — Map (db m36170) HM
Originally mounted in the church tower during the alterations to the building in the year 1892, and removed in 1976 when the old tower was razed.
The bell is mounted here as a symbol of the influence on the community of this church for the . . . — Map (db m11248) HM
In 1932, Rotarian Herbey Taylor created The Four Way Test, a code of ethics adopted by Rotary 11 years later. The test, which has been translated into more than 100 languages, asks the following questions:
Of the things we think, say or . . . — Map (db m62432) HM
The Horace Greeley Institute Trust was established in 1870 in the name of abolitionist Horace Greeley. Because the trust was to be used for the advancement of the education of "Freedmen and their Children," a school, known as the Greeley Institute, . . . — Map (db m61078) HM
In Memory of
Henry Hitt Watkins
Maude Wakefield Watkins
This building was made possible through the generosity of Judge and Mrs. Watkins, the South Carolina Baptist Convention, and other dedicated friends . . . — Map (db m19816) HM
This structure is called a "sweatbox" and was commonly used throughout the United States as a government-recommended method of disciplining prisoners during the mid-1900s. It was very much despised and feared by the prisoners, who referred to it as . . . — Map (db m19917) HM
Named in honor of
Dr. John Edward Rouse
Baptist Leader, Friend of Youth
Champion of Education
President of Anderson College 1957-73
This dormitory is named to honor him
in grateful recognition of
his . . . — Map (db m19829) HM
Though not engaged in actual warfare since the Revolutionary War, when it was used by both the American and British Army, this old cannon has had much to do with the making of South Carolina history. It came into this section, first in 1814, in . . . — Map (db m21310) HM
The Original Back Door Step
Flat Rock Union Church
Dedicated October 9, 1988
Flat Rock Presbyterian Church
Chartered November 10, 1888
Flat Rock Baptist Church
Chartered November 17, 1832 — Map (db m54639) HM
This was the second Negro church founded in Anderson. It was organized at a meeting of approximately 15 persons at the home of the Rev. Henry A. Mikell, who served as the first pastor. A lot was purchased from Bale Clayton for $100 and a small . . . — Map (db m11745) HM
The west wing of this building was
constructed in 1920 and is named
in honor of
James Primrose Whyte
Dean and beloved Professor of
Literature and Sociology at
Anderson College from 1918 to 1922.
John E. White . . . — Map (db m19784) HM
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Dedicated to the memory and honor of all Anderson County Vietnam veterans. They will always be remembered for their sacrifices and their . . . — Map (db m84131) WM
Out of Whose Vision, Leadership and Love to Humanity was Born a New Hospital
Virginia "Jennie" Gilmer is widely recognized as the founder of Anderson's first hospital, which over the years evolved into Anmed Health, the largest private . . . — Map (db m59427) HM
This structure once housed the Anderson County Airport's Weather Reporting Station. Located across the street where the Civic Center is now and constructed in 1931 at a cost between $5500 and $6000, this building was designed to provide shelter . . . — Map (db m15327) HM
In Memory of World War Casualties
War No. I
War No. II
Johnnie M. Leroy
John M. McBride
Richard A. Shirley
John R. . . . — Map (db m49493) HM
William A. Floyd, a man of vision, served Anderson County as the first African-American elected to the Anderson County Council. He touched the lives of many county residents in various ways, as a husband, father, teacher, coach, councilman, . . . — Map (db m21328) HM
Native son William Church Whitner developed the concept and spearheaded financing for the first hydroelectric plant to transmit power over a long distance in the South. On May 1, 1895, electricity travelled six miles from a generator at High . . . — Map (db m10695) HM
This facility was originally built in 1951 and was the cafeteria for the McCants Middle School. Renovation of the space for Meals on Wheels was completed in 2000 to allow for the expansion of the successful community program, which was begin in . . . — Map (db m59442) HM
In honor of the
World War veterans of
Anderson County, 1914-1918
Erected by the
American Legion Auxiliary
W.H. Hudgens Unit No. 14
In honor of the
World War veterans of
Anderson . . . — Map (db m10673) WM
On this site stood the
third building erected by
Whitefield Baptist Church.
The building was used by
the Congregation for worship
and fellowship until 1957.
Erected as a memorial to God's
blessings by his people
at this sacred . . . — Map (db m36637) HM
The Tennis Capital of South Carolina
Long know as the Tennis Capital of South Carolina, Belton's tennis history can be traced back over 110 years. An 1892 edition of the Anderson Intelligencer . . . — Map (db m35564) HM
This site, on a lot donated by Dr. George Brown, was the location of a school for more than a century, Belton Academy, a private school with a classical curriculum, opened ca. 1851 as the town grew up around the new railroad . . . — Map (db m81782) HM
Replacing the wooden structure located across the street that had served the Belton Community since 1853, the brick Southern & Blue Ridge Combined Railway Depot was designed in 1907 and completed by 1910. In the heyday of passenger and freight train . . . — Map (db m31012) HM
In this place we honor all those who served in the Armed Forces and reflect upon their dedication to duty and country. We recognize the hardships they endured to protect our freedoms and the ultimate sacrifice of life . . . — Map (db m10757) HM
This house, built c. 1854 for railroad supervisor Charles C. Chamberlain, was among the first homes constructed in Belton. When the town incorporated in 1855, Chamberlain was chosen as the first intendent. Ira Williams, who was . . . — Map (db m87307) HM
In honor of the
men and women
serving our country
Dorchester Baptist Church
Breazeale, Thomas C
Cox, James B
Cox, William N
Cox, Fred N
Cox, Charles M
Fullbright, Bessie V
Fullbright, Ralph M
Keys, William R . . . — Map (db m36667) HM
Greenville & Columbia RR
The Greenville & Columbia Railroad, founded in 1845, began construction in 1849. It reached Greenville in 1853, with a branch at this point to Anderson - the Blue Ridge Railroad. The town of Belton grew up around the . . . — Map (db m35635) HM
This building served as a classroom and
dormitory for the former Union High School
"To The Glory of God"
July 20, 1991
The Reverend R.H. Mitchell -- Moderator at Renovation
Dr. Earl J. Mathis -- At Dedication
. . . — Map (db m10752) HM
The National Register
of Historic Places:
The Belton Standpipe
Historical Landmark Built 1908, Restored 1990
Placed on the State and National Archive's Register 1987
Mayor . . . — Map (db m31166) HM
This land, Cherokee territory until 1777, became the final resting place after the American Revolution for early pioneers who settled the area. A number of soldiers of the Revolution are buried here including Robert Pickens, who served in the . . . — Map (db m9087) HM
This church, founded in 1803, held its first services in the home of John Wilson and was first known as Wilson's Chapel. That year the congregation bought two acres here from George Head; the first church on this site was built . . . — Map (db m47088) HM
Founded in 1821, this is the boyhood church and burial place of Olin D. Johnston. He was decorated for bravery in World War I, served in the S.C. House of Representatives, was twice Governor of S.C., in 1935-1939 and 1943-1945, and U.S. Senator . . . — Map (db m9335) HM
Honea Path is the smallest town of the fourteen South Carolina communities with libraries funded by the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. Dr. John Wright, Mayor John Humbert, and Miss Jennie Erwin were leaders in obtaining the $5000 grant. The Honea . . . — Map (db m10759) HM
Rang from 1924 until 1959
Rang for 75th Anniversary
Mr. Ben L. Davis (Uncle Ben, as he was
called) rang the bell until his retirement in
1958. The bell was rung at 9:00 am and
10:00 am and 10:30 am and 11:00 am. . . . — Map (db m38380) HM
James David Hammett
March 16, 1868
April 16, 1924.
The founder and president
of this company.
"And what doth the lord require
of thee but to do justly, love
mercy and walk humbly with . . . — Map (db m37530) HM
Came to the colonies and received a land grant from King George III in 1770 in the area known as the 96 District of South Carolina. In 1791 he moved to this locality and accepted a land grant from Charles Pinckney, . . . — Map (db m40637) HM
Native American Trade and the "Honey Path"
Town historians long debated the origin of the unusual name "Honea Path." Some attribute it to settler William Honey, who purchased 200 acres northeast of town in 1788. Others say . . . — Map (db m11252) HM
In memory of Honea Path veteran
who gave their lives for their country
and in honor of those who served.
War Between the States
[Left Column}: Reuben B. Kay, George Ballentine, James L. Bagwell, Jr., Pleasant Bagwell, John J. . . . — Map (db m10761) HM
The talk was the dream of Rev. J.A. Marler, Pastor, to have a church bell. The members were too poor to buy one. Several men began to make plans to purchase a bell by raising money through pledges. Mr. George Lollis, Chairman of Chiquola . . . — Map (db m38458) HM
These men were killed in Honea Path on September 6, 1934 in the General Textile Strike. This monument is dedicated to their memory, to their families and to all workers.
Claude Cannon, E.M. Knight
Lee Crawford, Maxie Peterson
Ira Davis, C.L. . . . — Map (db m41259) HM
This building and lot donated to the Town of Iva and the Iva District 10 Fire Department by W. Parker Bowie and his wife Marie T. Bowie in honor of his father Luther E. Bowie and his mother Lucia P. Bowie.
Dedicated to the citizens of this . . . — Map (db m54816) HM
This church, the first Associate Reformed Presbyterian congregation in what is now Anderson County, was organized about 1790 about 1 1/2 mi. SW of this site. Rev. Robert Irwin, its first regular minister, served from 1803 until . . . — Map (db m11747) HM
Oldest Presbyterian Church
in continuous existence
in Anderson County.
Organized in 1789.
First pastor, Rev. John Simpson.
Congregation worshipped at three
sites nears Generostee Creek,
three miles west of Iva.
Old cemetery at . . . — Map (db m9479) HM
This marker designated the third site of this church. Since 1909, the new church, built at
Iva, S.C., has continued to carry on the
faithful witness of our Lord.
Rev. John Simpson 1790-1807
Rev. David Humphreys 1821-1869 . . . — Map (db m19954) HM
This cemetery, dating from the early 19th century, is at the third site of Good Hope Presbyterian Church, founded in 1789. A frame sanctuary was built here in 1856 during the tenure of Rev. David Humphreys (d. 1869), who preached . . . — Map (db m19945) HM
A "Great" Town
In 1886, the Savannah Valley railroad made its way into lower Anderson County. The depot town of Cook's Station was named for Dr. Augustus G. Cook, a local physician and businessman. The town was later called Iva in honor of . . . — Map (db m43944) HM
In memory of those from our community who made the supreme sacrifice in order that w might continue to live in a free and prosperous nation with liberty and justice for all.
Robert Latham, Morge . . . — Map (db m54781) HM
At this site once stood the town of Moffettsville, originating with the establishment of Moffett's Mills Post Office on February 16, 1818. By 1883, the town had a population of twenty-five with a physician and general store. . . . — Map (db m23812) HM
This beautiful mural of the Old Iva Depot erected in 1886 with the C. & W.C. Train, painted by artist Oscar Velasquez, is dedicated to our forebears, to the churches and citizens of our community for their contribution to the growth of the town . . . — Map (db m54785) HM
Before Saddlehorn was a neighborhood, it was a rural cattle farm. Corrals like this were used (and still are in some instances) by farmers as holding pens to work with cattle that grazed the surrounding pastures. When farmers built this corral, . . . — Map (db m11250) HM
This is the site of a small cemetery used by the Reece family in the 19th century. Because cattle roamed freely in this area for years, the tombstones and other grave markings are broken. In 1977, the readable tombstones were recorded by family . . . — Map (db m11091) HM
1278 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1078