Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

872 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 672
 
Aart Klein Marker - Wide View image, Touch for more information
By Andrew Ruppenstein, November 23, 2016
Aart Klein Marker - Wide View
Czech Republic, Hlavní město Praha, Prague — Albert Schweitzer
{Text in Czech:} ALBERT SCHWEITZER * 1875 Kaysersberg †1965 Lambaréné Zde koncertoval v letech 1923 a 1928 {Text translated into English:} Albert Schweitzer Born 1875 in Kaysersberg, died 1965 in Lambaréné . . . — Map (db m38193) HM
Czech Republic, Hlavní město Praha, Prague — Birthplace of Jaroslav Heyrovský
In Czech: V tomto domě se 20. prosince 1890 narodil academik Jaroslav Heyrovský. Nositel nobelovy ceny za chemii. Translated, the marker reads: In this house was born on December 20, 1890 the academic Jaroslav Heyrovský. . . . — Map (db m40763) HM
Czech Republic, Hlavní město Praha, Prague — Ema DestinnováEmmy Destinn
In Czech: Zde žila 1908-1914 Ema Destinnová česká pěvkyné Translated, the marker reads: From 1908-1914 the Czech singer, Emmy Destinn, lived here. — Map (db m23108) HM
Czech Republic, Hlavní město Praha, Prague — Francis Skaryna
{Marker text in Belarusian:} 1517-1519, у старым месце Праҗскім выдатны . . . — Map (db m40762) HM
Czech Republic, Hlavní město Praha, Prague — Here Albert Einstein Played the Violin
{Marker text in Czech:} V tomto domĕ „U Jedworožce,“ v salonu Berty Fantové, v letech 1911 až 1912 hrával na housle a setnával se zde s přǎteli, spisovateli Maxem Brodem a Franzem Kafkou, Profesor Teureticke Fyziky na . . . — Map (db m37595) HM
Czech Republic, Hlavní město Praha, Prague — Jan Neruda
{Marker text in Czech:} Jan Neruda Zde žil a svoji literární činnost započal. * 1834 † 1891 Péčí Spolků Menšího Města Pražského. R. 1895. {Marker text translated into English:} Jan . . . — Map (db m40517) HM
Czech Republic, Hlavní město Praha, Prague — Josef Charvát
In Czech: V tomto domě žil a zemřel Profesor MuDr. Josef Charvát 1897-1984 Zakladatel České Endocrinologie Translated, the marker reads: In this house lived and died Professor Dr. Josef Charvát . . . — Map (db m22552) HM
Czech Republic, Hlavní město Praha, Prague — Ladislav Zelenka
In Czech: Zde žil národní umělec Ladislav Zelenka 1881-1957 violoncellista slavného českého kvarteta Translated, the marker reads: Here lived the national artist, Ladislav Zelenka (1881-1957), cellist for the famed Czech . . . — Map (db m22987) HM
Czech Republic, Hlavní město Praha, Prague — Rudolf Kremlička
In Czech: V tomto domě pracoval český malíř Rudolf Kremlička Translated, the marker reads: In this house worked the Czech painter Rudolf Kremlicka. — Map (db m22972) HM
Czech Republic, Hlavní město Praha, Prague — T.R. Field Šumavansky
In Czech: Zde se narodil satirik T.R. Field Šumavansky 1891-1969 Translated, the marker reads: Here was born the satirist, T.R.Field Šumavansky (1891-1969). — Map (db m22763) HM
Czech Republic, Hlavní město Praha, Prague — Tycho Brahe Lived Here
{Marker text in Czech:} Leta Pane MDCCCCI zasazena jest na tomto domě zvaném od starodávna “U Zlatého Nohá”, nákladem obce Prazké pametní deska ku poctě slavného Dana Tychona Braheho, císařkého matematika a . . . — Map (db m40632) HM
Czech Republic, Hlavní město Praha, Prague — Vojtěch Hynais1854-1925
In Czech: Zde žil a zemřel slavný český malíř Vojtěch Hynais Tvůrce opony národního divadla Svemu čestnemu předsedovi jednota umělců výtvar. v praze. Translated, the marker . . . — Map (db m22657) HM
Czech Republic, Hlavní město Praha, Prague — Vojta Náprstek
In Czech: V tomto domĕ žil a zemřel Vojta Náprstek 1826-1894 Bojovník za kulturní a společenský pokrok R 1862 položil základy Náprstokova Muzea Translated, the marker reads: In this house lived and . . . — Map (db m23067) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Bamberg — Bamberg's World War II Fallen and MissingBamberg Gedenktafel Tote des 2. Weltkriegs
[Marker text in German:] Im Weltkrieg 1939-1945 fielen aus der Stadt Bamberg 1992 getreue deutsche Soldaten an den Fronten Europas u. Afrikas. Durch Bombenangriff gaben ihr Leben für die Heimat 242 Männer, Frauen, und Kinder. Vermisst . . . — Map (db m57829) HM WM
Germany, Bavaria, Bamberg — The Old Main WatchEhem. Hauptwache
[Marker text in German:] 1774 unter Fürstbischof Adam Friedrich von Seinsheim nach Plänen von J.E. Roppelt erbaut militärische Embleme von Johann Bernhard Kamm Repräsentationsgebäude der fürstbischöfliche Infantrie . . . — Map (db m58812) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Bamberg — The Old TollhouseAlte Mauth
. . . — Map (db m58411) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Munich — "Lueg ins Land" Watchtower
Hier stand der Wachtthurm Lueg-ins Land, ob seiner Fernsicht so genannt. Erbaut vor 1374 Abgebrochen 1802. Translated, the marker reads: Here stood the watchtower "Look to the Land" so-called on account of its clear view . . . — Map (db m22539) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Munich — Dachau Bomb Disposal Unit
Zum Gedenken an das Bombensuchkommando des KZ Dachau, das in der Zeit vom Juli 1944 bis April 1945 hier untergebracht war. Die SS zwang die Häftlinge unter Einsatz ihres Lebens, Bomben in München zu bergen und zu entschärfen. Zahllose Gefangene . . . — Map (db m22415) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Munich — Franz Marc
Hier wurde am 8.Februar 1880 der Maler Franz Marc geb. Gest. am 4.1.1916 bei Verdun. Er war mitbegründer der Künstlervereinigung „Der Blaue Reiter“. Translated, the marker reads: The painter Franz Marc was born here on . . . — Map (db m22360) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Munich — Georg Lankensperger
[Marker text in German]: Hier stand das Haus des Kgl. Bayr. Hofwagners Georg Lankensperger *1779 • † 1847 der 1816 die Achsschenkellenkung erfand Für Gespannwagen erdacht, ist diese Lenkungsart von entscheidender Bedeutung fr . . . — Map (db m57723) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Munich — Gottfried Keller
Hier wohnte 1840 der schweizer Dichter Gottfried Keller Translated, the marker reads: In 1840 the Swiss poet Gottfried Keller lived here. — Map (db m22081) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Munich — Maximilian Joseph - Earl of MontgelasMaximilian Joseph - Graf von Montgelas — 1759-1838
[Marker text in German:] Von 1799 bis 1816 lenkte Maximilian Joseph Graf von Montgelas als Minister die Geschicke Bayerns. Nach den Grundsätzen der Aufklärung formte er durch umwälzende Reformen das moderne Bayerische Staatswesen. . . . — Map (db m58660) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Munich — Miesbach to Munich Power Transmission
Im Oktober 1882 wurde hier anlässlich der internationalen Elektrizitätsaustellung von Miesbach nach München erstmals in der Welt eine Kraftűbertragung mit hoch gespannten Strőmen durchgefuhrt. Die Schőpfer des Werkes Oskar von Miller . . . — Map (db m22477) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Munich — The Expansion of the Church of Our Lady Lane
Durch hochherzige Spenden seiner königlichen hoheit des Prinzregenten Luitpold von Bayern, des Domkapitels zu Unserer Lieben Frau und opferwilliger Münchener Bürger wurde es ermöglicht, im Jahre 1888 das enge Liebefrauengässchen zu dieser Strasse zu . . . — Map (db m22603) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Nuremberg — Johann Neudörfer
[Marker text in German:] Hier stand bis zum Jahre 1945 das Wohnhaus des Schreib- und Rechnenmeisters Johann Neudörfer Geb. 1497, Gest. 1563 [Marker text translated into English:] Here until 1945 stood the . . . — Map (db m58442) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Nuremberg — Johann Phillip Palm
[Marker text in German:] Hier stand das Wohn- und Geschäftshaus des Buchhandlers Joh. Phillip Palm * 18.12.1766 † 26.07.1806 [Marker text translated into English:] Here stood the home and business of Johann Phillip . . . — Map (db m57910) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Nuremberg — Leopold Einstein
[Marker text in German:] Hier wohnte Leopold Einstein Geb. 1833 — Gest. 1890 Nürnberger Pionier der Internationalen Sprache Esperanto [Marker text translated into English:] Here lived Leopold Einstein, . . . — Map (db m58002) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Nuremberg — Schürstab MansionSchürstabhaus - Mittelaltlicher Geschlechtersitz
[Marker text in German:] Bis 1328 Unholder Ministeriale 1328-1478 Schürstab Patrizierfamilie 1406 Prägende Baugestaltung durch Erhart d ä Schürstab 1482 Carl Schwerzer baulich Prägung und Einbau der Hauskapelle 1508-1518 . . . — Map (db m58731) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Schweinfurt — Dr. Martin Luther
"Allein durch den Glauben" Römer 3,28 Martin Luther 1483 - 1546 Professor und Doktor der Theologie Vom Augustinermönch zum Kirchenreformator Gestalter der Deutschen Schriftsprache Gesellschaft . . . — Map (db m100217) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Schweinfurt — Olympia Fulvia Morata
Die Humanistin Olympia Fulvia Morata 1526 Ferrara - 1555 Heidelberg lebte und wirkte von 1551-1554 in der freien Reichsstadt Schweinfurt. Bildung u. Standhaftigkeit im Glauben, Liebe, Mut u. Toleranz zeichneten sie aus. . . . — Map (db m99967) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Schweinfurt — Panzer-Regiment 4 Memorial
Unseren Toten Panz. Reg. 4 [English translation:] To our dead Panzer (armored) Regiment 4 — Map (db m100090) WM
Germany, Bavaria, Schweinfurt — Raven Hotel / Hotel zum Raben
Hier stand bis 1908 das alte Hotel zum Raben [English translation:] Until 1908 here stood the old Raven Hotel. — Map (db m100222) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Schweinfurt — Schopperschen Haus / Schopper's House
Hier, im ehemals "Schopperschen Haus" Nr. 339 am Markt, waren zu Gast: Albrecht von Wallenstein Feldherr von Ende august 1625 bis zum 2.9.1625 Octavio Piccolomini Kaiserlicher General Vom 6.10.1634 bis 22.5.1635 Zar . . . — Map (db m100030) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Schweinfurt — Schweinfurt German Expellees' Memorial
{The marker consists of a plaque and an inscription on the monument on which the plaque is mounted.} [Plaque:] In dankbarem Gedenken an die Aufnahme von über 32.000 Heimatvertriebenem aus dem Sudetenland, Nieder- und . . . — Map (db m100118) HM WM
Germany, Bavaria, Schweinfurt — Schweinfurt Romany Memorial
[The writing on the memorial is presented ribbon-style, with each of the memorial's four sides providing part of the text.] Zum Gedenken an die Schweinfurter Sinti und Roma die dem Nationalsozialistischen Völkermord in Auschwitz . . . — Map (db m100089) WM
Germany, Bavaria, Schweinfurt — Schweinfurt Veterans of Foreign Wars Memorial
Veterans of Foreign Wars, Post 10658 and VFW Ladies Auxiliary Schweinfurt, Germany This monument was planned, funded and built by the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the Ladies Auxiliary, Post 10658, with the generous support of the . . . — Map (db m100035) WM
Germany, Bavaria, Volkach — Pfarrkirche St. Bartholomäus / St. Bartholomew's Parish Church
Volkachs erste Pfarrkirche stand außerhalb des Ortes auf dem heute als „Kirchberg" bekannten Altenberg. Dort oben wurde Messe gelesen, getauft und beerdigt. Eine dem Heiligen Georg geweihte innerstädtische Pfarrkirche ist dagegen erst nach dem Jahr . . . — Map (db m100610) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Faulenberg BarracksFaulenberg Kaserne
Die Kaserne diente von 1879 bis zur Auflösung der Bayer. Armee dem k. b. 2. Feldartillerie Regiment “Horn” als Unterkunft. Es bestand von 1824 bis 1919 und hat an den Feldzuegen 1848, 1866, 1870-71 und am Weltkrieg 1914-18 ruhmvollen . . . — Map (db m78262) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Old CranesAlter Kranen
In den Jahren 1767-1773 errichtete Fürstbischof Adam Friedrich von Seinsheim ein Hebewerk am Mainufer, das unter dem Namen “Alter Kranen” bekannt ist. Dieser Kran diente den Binnenschiffern bis 1846 zum entladen ihrer Schiffe. Der . . . — Map (db m22687) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — The Lower Main Mill
Hier stand erbaut von Fürstbischof Iohann Philipp von Schönborn die Untere Mainmühle 1644-1921. An ihrer Stelle wurde in den Jahren 1921-1923 dieser Bau errichtet als erstes Kraftwerk der Grosschiffahrtstrasse Rhein-Main-Donau. . . . — Map (db m22827) HM
Germany, Hessen, Frankfurt am Main — Friedrich Stoltze Geburtshaus / Birthplace
Zur Erinnerung an das Geburtshaus zum Rebstock  LIT.L87 des Dichters Friedrich Stoltze ✶ 21.11.1816 †28.3.1891 Das Haus fiel 1904 dem Altstadtdurch- bruch zum Opfer [English translation:] . . . — Map (db m100463) HM
Liechtenstein, Schaan — City Hall / Former SchoolRathaus / Ehemaliges Schulhaus — Kulturweg Schaan - Station 21
In Liechtenstein erfolgte die allgemeine Einführung der Schulpflicht 1805. Der älteste Hinweis auf eine schulische Tätigkeit in Schaan geht aus einer «Instruction» für den Schulvogt Rudolph Walser aus dem Jahr 1700 hervor. Im 18. Jahrhun- dert . . . — Map (db m78072) HM
Liechtenstein, Schaan — I Had a ComeradeIch hatte einen Kameraden — 1914-1918
The initial part of this transcription presents the center vertical part of the marker: Seine Durchlaucht Prinz Heinrich Alois von und zu Liechtenstein Maj. d. k.u.k. Drag. Rgt. 13 Bes. des Signum laudis des Ordens der . . . — Map (db m78135) WM
Liechtenstein, Schaan — 19 — Theater
Das heutige Theatergebäude diente schon ursprünglich dem Jünglingsverein und später auch der Jungfrauenkongregation in Schaan als Vereinshaus, um Theater zu spielen. Es entstand in den Jahren 1913 /1914 an prominenter Lage in der . . . — Map (db m78885) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Aart Klein
. . . — Map (db m100484) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Badhuis Diamantbuurt (Public Baths)
[Top panel:]
Architect Arend Jan Westerman (1884-1966) Opdrachtgever Gemeente Amsterdam Bouwjaren 1925-1926 Middenin de Diamantbuurt werd in 1926 dit voormalig gemeentebadhuis geopend. Destijds hadden de huizen in de omgeving . . . — Map (db m100516) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Benedictus de Spinoza (1632-1677), Amsterdammer, Filosoof/Philosopher
Spinoza is op deze plaats als zoon van joodse vluchtelingen geboren. Zijn belangrijkste werk is de Ethica. Daarin verwerpt hij alle traditionele voorstellingen van God en stelt hij dat de ogenschijnlijk chaotische natuur is onderworpen aan . . . — Map (db m100803) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Christiaan Andriessen
. . . — Map (db m100510) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Hendrick de Keyser
Hier woonde Hendrick de Keyser Stadsbouwmeester 1565   1621 Winkler Prins Stichting [English translation:] Here lived Hendrick de Keyser, City Architect, 1565-1621. — Map (db m100017) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Herman Gorter
In huis was 't donker, paar de stille straat Vergaarde schemer, man de lucht blonk laat Nog licht, er viel een gouden blanke schijn Over de gevels in mein raamkozijn. De dichter HERMAN GORTER woonde hier van 1882 tot 1887 . . . — Map (db m100486) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Huis met de Kabouters / House with the Hobgoblins
[Top panel:] Architect A.C. Boerma (1852-1908) Opdrachtgever dhr. Van Ballgooyen Bouwjaar 1884 Het 'huis met de kabouters' is een groep van drie etagewoningen uit 1884, ontworpen door A.C. Boerma, en kenmerkt zich door de bijzondere . . . — Map (db m100320) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Jacobus Henricus van 't Hoff
In dit gebouw werkte van 1878-1891 Jacobus Henricus van 't Hoff Winnaar Nobelprijs Scheikunde (English translation:) In this building from 1878-1891 worked Jacobus Henricus van 't Hoff Winner of the Nobel Prize in . . . — Map (db m99964) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Joods Verzetsmonument /Jewish Resistance Monument
לזכרון לוחמי המחתרת בשנות ת”ש - תש”ה Ter herinnering aan het . . . — Map (db m100519) WM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Polderhuisje (Polder House)
[Top panel:] Architect Onbekond Opdrachtgever Jan van Bemmel Bouwjaar 1865 Deze arbeiderswoning uit 1865 stond oorspronkelijk tussen de tuinderijen en aan de sloot in de gemeente Nieuwer Amstel, tegen de . . . — Map (db m100027) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Walter Süskind
* Lüdenscheid 29 October 1906 † Na Evacuatie Auschwitz   Januar-Februar 1945 Hij onttrok tijdens de duitse bezetting, met groot gevaar voor eigen leven, vele joodse medeburgers aan deportatie [English translation:] Born: . . . — Map (db m100310) HM WM
Netherlands, Utrecht, Bunnik — The Tea House at Rhijnauwen - Since 1921Het theehuis» op Rhijnauwen - Sinds 1921
In het voorjaar van 1921 besloot de Gemeente Utrecht om "op een daarvoor geschikt te achten plekje van Rhijnauwen nabij den Krommenrijn een eenvoudig theehuisje te plaatsen ten einde wandelaars, wielrijders en roeiers een rustpunt te geven waar zij . . . — Map (db m99959) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — Claustraal Huis van Oudemunster / Canon House of the Former Oudmunster Church
Zijgevel uit ca 1540 van een middeleeuws huis van een kanunnik van de verdwenen kerk van Oudmunster of St Salvator (omtrek in het plaveisel van het Domplein). Fraai voorbeeld van vroege Renaissance-architectuur met beeldhouwwerk en muurankers. Het . . . — Map (db m100462) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — De Zakkendrager / The Porters
Achter deze poort lag de gildekamer van de zakkendragers. Zij waren in dienst van de stad en sjouwden zakken met graan, turf en kolen uit schepen. Er werd gedobbeld om het werk te verdelen. Na 1622 kwam het gilde in twee groepen bijeen. De . . . — Map (db m100400) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — Doopsgezinde Kerk / Mennonite Church
De Nederlands Hervormde Kerk was in Utrecht sinds 1580 de enige toegestane kerk. ln het midden van de 18de eeuw werd men toleranter tegenover andere protestanten, zoals de Lutheranen en Doopsgezinden. Zij mochten kerken bouwen, mits deze niet . . . — Map (db m100399) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — Geboortehuis van Paus Adriaan / Birthplace of Pope Adrian
In 1459 werd in een huisje in de Brandstraat Adriaan Florisz Boeyens geboren. Die woning is in 1675 bij dit huis getrokken. Adriaan, zoon van een scheepstimmerman, studeerde theologie en werd in 1490 hoogleraar in Leuven. Van 1507 tot 1515 was hij . . . — Map (db m100352) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — Gebouw Voor Kunst En Wetenschappen / Arts and Science Building
Gebouwd van 1845 tot 1847 naar een ontwerp van stadsarchitect J. van Maurik. Het gebouw staat op de plaats van het koor van de laat 11de- eeuwse Mariakerk, waarvan resten in het gebouw bewaard zijn. Robert Schumann en Johannes Brahms geven . . . — Map (db m100339) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — Het Runensteen van Jelling Afgietsel / The Jelling Runestone Replica
Afgietsel van den runensteen door Koning Harald omstreeks 980 geplaatst te Jelling in Jutland, Denemarken. haraltr : kunukʀ : baþ : kaurua kubl : þausi : aft : kurm faþur sin auk aft : þąurui : muþur : sina : sa haraltr (:) . . . — Map (db m100605) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — In Het Voetspuur Van Sint Maarten / In the Footsteps of Saint Martin
In de 4e eeuw was Martinus bisschop van de stad Tours in Frankrijk. Hij maakte diepe indruk door zijn zorg de allerarmsten. Van meet af aan volgden velen hem na. Zij trokken zijn spoor door heel Europa. Ook in Utrecht. Al sinds de 7e eeuw is . . . — Map (db m100625) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — Maartensbrug en Oude Gracht / "St. Martin's Bridge" on the Old Canal
De brug waar u op staat, de Maartensbrug, is genoemd paar St Maarten, het patroonheilige van de Dom en de stad. De oudste vermelding van de (houten) brug is uit 1196, maar er moet er in ieder geval al een geweest zijn omstreeks 1125, toen . . . — Map (db m100449) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — Mariakerk / St. Mary's Church
Op deze plaats stond vroeger de Mariakerk, afgebeeld aan de overkant, op de zijmuur van nr. 17. In 1845 werd hier het gebouw voor Kunsten en Wetenschappen gebouwd. thans conservatorium. De 11.e eeuwse Romaanse kloostergang (kruisgang) is bewaard . . . — Map (db m100609) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — Mieropskameren / Mierop's Homes
In 1580 werd tijdens de Reformatie het Regulierenklooster opgeheven. Het terrein van dat klooster strekte zich uit van de Oudegracht tot aan de Springweg. In 1583 werd een aantal dienstgebouwen langs de Springweg - waaronder een bakkerij, een . . . — Map (db m100351) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — Paleis Lofen
Van het middeleeuwse stadsverblijf der duitse keizers - 10e tot 13e eeuw - zijn slechts resten van de onderverdieping, daterend uit begin 11e eeuw, overgebleven. Stadsbranden in 1154 en 1253 werd Lofen verwoest. Waarna de onderbouw, waarop drie . . . — Map (db m100543) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — St. Jacobsgasthuis / St. James' Guest House
Het pand rechts (nr. 213) was het hoofdhuis van het St. Jacobsgasthuis, waar pelgrims naar Santiago de Compostella onderdak kregen. Naast een ziekenzaal en een passantenverblijf bezat het gasthuis een kapel. Achter het deurtje rechts begint de . . . — Map (db m100414) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — Universiteit Utrecht / Utrecht University
De Universiteit Utrecht Dit Academiegebouw werd ln 1896 door de stad Utrecht aan de universiteit geschonken. Het is nog altijd haar ceremoniële hart, waar de grote academische plechtigheden plaats vinden. In de medaillons onder . . . — Map (db m100616) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — Utrechtse Sodomieprocessen / Utrecht Sodomy Trials
18e eeuw Sodomie Baron Blomsaet en 17 andere mannen werden in Utrecht veroordeeld en gewurgd Hun daden verzwegen Vandaag Homoseksualiteit Mannen en vrouwen kiezen in vrijheid [English translation:] 18th . . . — Map (db m100424) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — Verzetsmonument Utrecht / Utrecht Resistance Monument
1940 - 1945 Gedenk uw dooden die den goeden strijd gestreden hebben in gerechtigheid. Draagt voort hun vlam, zij zijn gebleven, maar in dien gloed wordt ons nieuw leven. [English translation:] Remember your dead, those . . . — Map (db m100607) WM
Netherlands, Utrecht — Voormalig Klooster en Later Weeshuis / Former Monastery and Later Orphanage
Van het al vóór 1290 gebouwde Regulierenklooster is de oude opzet nog bewaard gebleven, waaronder een groot deel van de kloosterkerk en de kloostergebouwen rond de pandhof en kloostergang. Na de Reformatie werd in 1582 het klooster het onderkomen . . . — Map (db m100373) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — "Annie's Oak"City of Berkeley Landmark — Designated in 1986
Here a venerable oak tree was saved by Annie Maybeck (1867-1956), wife of architect Bernard Maybeck. She is said to have "marched off to city hall" to protest the cutting of native trees during street paving early in the 20th Century. She and other . . . — Map (db m18562) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — American Baptist Seminary of the West - Hobart HallCity of Berkeley Landmark - designated in 1999 — Julia Morgan, Architect, 1919
This compact complex of buildings linked by a series of arcades and academic quads in the English tradition was created to house one of Berkeley's oldest seminaries. Hobart Hall, designed by Julia Morgan, is notable for its elaborate brickwork, . . . — Map (db m50801) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — 908 — Berkeley City Club
The Berkeley City Club, organized in 1927, was one of the area’s earliest attempts by women to social, civic and cultural progress. The building, constructed in 1929, is one of the outstanding works of noted California architect Julia Morgan, whose . . . — Map (db m100562) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley Municipal PierBerkeley History — 1926
Berkeley's original shoreline was about where Second Street and the eastern side of Aquatic Park are located today. In 1853 a private wharf was built at the foot of what is now Delaware Street, and a working waterfront with factories and piers . . . — Map (db m36487) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley Municipal Rose GardenCity of Berkeley Landmark - Designated in 1995 — Vernon M. Dean, Landscape Architect - 1933-1937
The Rose Garden was a joint creation of the City of Berkeley and the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA), whose public works provided employment during the Depression. Vernon M. Dean, the City's landscape architect, designed the garden in a . . . — Map (db m18618) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley Y.M.C.A.City of Berkeley Landmark - designated in 1990 — Benjamin G. McDougall, Architect - 1910
Originating among working class Englishmen in 1844, the Young Men's Christian Association was brought to North America in 1851 to promote a "full and balanced life" through religious devotion and athletic activity. Berkeley's charter organization . . . — Map (db m50295) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Church of the Good ShepherdCharles L. Bugbee, Architect, 1878 — Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
This is Berkeley's oldest remaining church building and the oldest church in the East Bay still in continuous use by its founding congregation. The one-story Victorian Gothic-style building was built here on what was Bristol Street, before it was . . . — Map (db m28503) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Davis-Byrne Building1895 — City of Berkeley Landmark - Designated 1991
This building was originally part of the small commercial district that grew up around Dwight Way Station where Shattuck Avenue commuter trains intersected with the horse-car line that ran up Dwight Way to the California Schools for the Deaf and . . . — Map (db m29581) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Don Pedro Fages Expedition
This marker designates the area where on March 27, 1772 a scientific team under the auspices of the Empire of Spain stopped on Strawberry Creek to include an observation of is now known as Golden Gate. According to Juan Crespi, diarist, the first . . . — Map (db m42034) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Gilman HallUniversity of California — Berkeley, California, 1916-1917
Gilman Hall was built in 1916-17 to accomodate an expanded College of Chemistry under the leadership of Gilbert Newton Lewis. This building provided research laboratories and teaching facilities for faculty and students specializing in physical, . . . — Map (db m15870) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Golden Sheaf Bakery AnnexCity of Berkeley Landmark - designated in 1978 — Clinton Day, Architect, 1905 * Jim Novosel, Architect, 2000
Listed on the National Record of Historic Places In 1877, English immigrant John G. Wright founded the Golden Sheaf, Berkeley's first wholesale/retail bakery. The original bakery, with a public dining room, stood around the corner on Shattuck . . . — Map (db m50360) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Historic McGee-Spaulding DistrictBerkeley History
The District was part of the land granted by the king of Spain in 1820 to the Luis Peralta Family. The land was later purchased from Jose Domingo Peralta by four San Francisco businessmen. In 1855, James McGee (1814-1899), a newly arrived Irish . . . — Map (db m29071) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — J. Gorman & Son BuildingConstructed circa 1880 — Additions and renovations 1890, 1906, 1940, 2005
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1982 John and Margaret Gorman moved their furniture and upholstery shop to this location in 1880. It is one of Berkeley's oldest commercial buildings and a surviving example of the . . . — Map (db m29371) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — North Branch Berkeley Public LibraryJames W. Plachek, Architect, 1936
City of Berkeley Landmark Designated in 2001 North Branch Berkeley Public Library James W. Plachek, Architect, 1936 North Branch Library is one of Berkeley’s many civic buildings by James Plachek, including the Central Library (1930), . . . — Map (db m15868) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Northbrae Public ImprovementsJohn Galen Howard, Architect; R.A. Mansell, Landscape Architect 1907 — City of Berkeley Landmark - designated in 1992
Berkeley's Northbrae residential subdivision was opened in 1907 by the Mason-McDuffie Company, John Galen Howard - then Supervising Architect of the University of California - designed the Circle and the stairways, benches, and stone pillars used as . . . — Map (db m36674) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Soda Works BuildingE.A. Spalding, Contractor 1888
Robert Agers constructed this building to manufacture "the very best soda water" for customers throughout California. The recessed storefronts, second-floor oriel windows, and high false front are all largely unchanged from a 1904 expansion. The . . . — Map (db m29383) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — The Lawrence 37-Inch Cyclotron
This is the electromagnet for the world's first major cyclotron. With it, professor Ernest O. Lawrence and others perfected the difficult cyclotron technology. Originally a 27-inch cyclotron, it was converted to a 37-inch instrument in 1937. . . . — Map (db m91800) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Bank of Italy Building
This granite faced building was designed in the Classic Renaissance Revival Style for the Bank of Italy in 1921. It later became the thirteenth branch of the Bank of America. From 1957-1978, this building served as Livermore's city hall. Listed on . . . — Map (db m17878) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Carnegie LibraryBuilt 1911
Livermore Public City Library 1911 to 1966 City of Livermore Historic Preservation Landmark Site Dedicated July 1996 Operated by Livermore Area Recreation and Park District Nearby Rededication Plaque reads: Andrew J. . . . — Map (db m17754) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — D. F. Bernal BuildingBuilt Circa 1910
Constructed with bricks salvaged from the Livermore Brewery, built 1874, destroyed by fire 1908 City of Livermore Historic Preservation Landmark Site Dedicated July 1996 — Map (db m17870) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — First Presbyterian Church Memorial ChapelBuilt 1874
The First Presbyterian Church was the City's first Protestant church and an early significant religious institution of the City. Commemorated by City of Livermore Historic Preservation Commission May 2007 — Map (db m17843) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Joaquin Murrieta and Murrieta's Well
The legend of Joaquin Murrieta is one of the most enduring and fascinating of chapters in California history. Facts, fiction and romantic tales entangle to create a legend of unique aura that had become part of California's folklore, especially in . . . — Map (db m17944) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
The Laboratory opened September 2, 1952 at this site, initially as a branch of the University of California Radiation Laboratory. Prior to the Lab's opening, this 630-acre parcel was the site of Livermore Naval Air Station, a World War II pilot . . . — Map (db m25251) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Livermore Flagpole
A flagpole has anchored this site since 1905. On July 4, 2005, the citizens of this community dedicated a new flagpole. Sixty feet of the original flagpole stand in nearby Carnegie Park. Both symbolize the strength of our nation and its people. . . . — Map (db m17872) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Mills Square Flag PoleRaised September 9, 1905
Made from one log, originally 126 feet in length. 18 inch diameter at base, 5,300 pounds Shortened 14 feet in 1959 City of Livermore Historic Preservation Landmark Site Dedicated July 1998 — Map (db m17785) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Veteran's Memorial BuildingBuilt 1931
Donated to Alameda County by Livermore Post, American Legion City of Livermore Historic Preservation Heritage Site Dedicated July 1996 Operated by Livermore Area Recreation and Park District — Map (db m17768) HM
California (Alameda County), Mountain House — Mountain House SchoolEstablished 1893
Current site constructed 1923 Alameda County, California For the purpose of providing a continuation of essential education and learning Angelita Parlor No. 32, N.D.G.W, Livermore, California Donner Parlor No. 193, N.D.G.W., Byron, . . . — Map (db m92924) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 442nd Regimental Combat Team Memorial
Dedicated on August 7, 1992, by E Company Veterans of the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, the most decorated United States Army Unit of World War II. The all volunteer 442nd Combat Team was composed of Americans of Japanese ancestry, from the . . . — Map (db m64182) HM WM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Antonio Bras Columns
These granite columns are all that remain of 4460 Howe Street, built in 1898. This residence was the home of various families connected to St. Mary's and Mountain View Cemeteries and their supporting business. 4460 Howe Street originally belonged to . . . — Map (db m18600) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Chabot ObservatoryFounded 1883
This marker, dedicated June 21, 2008, celebrates Chabot Space & Science Center's 125 years of inspiring Bay Area star gazers and curious minds of all ages. From 1883-1915, an observatory on this site housed Chabot's first telescope, "Leah," an . . . — Map (db m18875) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 48 — Charles S. Greene LibraryAfrican-American Museum and Library at Oakland — Oakland Landmark Number 48
Dedicated in 1902 as the Oakland Public Library, this was the first Carnegie Library built in Oakland. Designed in the American Beaux Arts style by architects Bliss and Faville (who later designed the Hotel Oakland), it was Oakland's main library . . . — Map (db m18670) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — El Camino Rancho San Antonio
About 1820, along this route ran the earliest known road from Mission San Jose over Rancho San Antonio to the ranchos north. Erected by Oakland Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1939 — Map (db m54112) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — El Campanil
El Campanil is the first concrete reinforced structure built west of the Mississippi — Map (db m40071) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 896 — First Unitarian Church of Oakland
Designed in 1889 by Walter J. Mathews, this solid masonry Romanesque church departed radically from California's traditional Gothic wood frame construction. Noted for its world famous stained glass windows produced by Goodhue of Boston, and for . . . — Map (db m100561) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — In Memory of Col. John Coffee Hays1-28-1817 • 4-21-1883
Born near Little Cedar Lick, Wilson County, Tennessee. Lived in Mississippi, where he learned surveying. Joined Republic of Texas Army in May, 1836, and served 3 years in ranger/spy companies. Gained fame as an Indian fighter while surveyor for . . . — Map (db m55204) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — John "Alex" Alexander1924-1993
John "Alex" Alexander spent his entire working life at Naval Supply Center Oakland. Symbolic of the many dedicated civilians who worked on the base, Alex inspired others through his tireless work on behalf of the community at large and promoted . . . — Map (db m63171) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Oakland Railroad History
The railroad industry transformed Oakland from an oak forest to a thriving city. Rapid growth began when the Central Pacific Railroad absorbed local rail lines in 1868 and was granted right-of-way to build a freight and ferry pier. The Oakland Long . . . — Map (db m19209) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Oakland's First Public School
Map (db m18541) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 884 — Paramount Theatre
This is a superior rendering of the "Art Deco" or "Moderne" style of movie palace built during the rise of the motion picture industry. The Paramount, which opened on December 16, 1931, is the most ambitious theatre design of architect Timothy L. . . . — Map (db m100560) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Pony Express Ferry "Oakland"
Dedicated April 23, 1999 Jack London Square By Port of Oakland, William Campbell Family, Dreyers Grand Ice Cream, Alameda/Oakland Ferry Service, Waterfront Plaza Hotel & Jacks, Sportsman's Hall - Pollock Pines Pony Express Home . . . — Map (db m19017) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Preservation ParkAn Overview
Oakland in the late 19th century was a thriving waterfront city, the second largest in the state. A center of commerce and industry, it was also known for advanced notions of civic improvement. Public schools and academies, convenient transit, and . . . — Map (db m18771) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Rear Admiral R.J. "Bear" Arnold, U.S.N.
Point Arnold is named after Rear Admiral R.J. "Bear" Arnold, U.S.N.. During World War II, Arnold earned the Navy Cross for extraordinary heroism as the supply officer on the USS YORKTOWN at the Battle of Midway. Chief of the Bureau of Supplies and . . . — Map (db m62994) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 962 — Site of Blossom Rock Navigation Trees
Until at least 1851, Redwood trees on this site were used as landmarks to avoid striking the treacherous submerged Blossom Rock in San Francisco Bay west of Yerba Buena Island. Although by 1855 the original stems had been logged, today's trees are . . . — Map (db m100564) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 45 — Site of College of CaliforniaOriginal Campus of University of California
University of California, chartered March 23, 1868. Located between Franklin and Harrison, 12th and 14th Streets, from 1869 to 1873, using buildings of former College of California, successor to Contra Costa Academy founded by Henry Durant, June . . . — Map (db m100544) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 676 — Site of Saint Mary's College
Site of St. Mary's College "The Old Brickpile" 1889-1928 — Map (db m100555) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — St. Augustine's Episcopal ChurchOakland Landmark Number 29
St. Augustine's, originally Trinity Episcopal Church, is one of the oldest Episcopal church buildings in continual use in the city of Oakland today. It was built on land donated by Reverend John Bakewell, D.D., beginning in 1892 and was consecrated . . . — Map (db m50215) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — USS Potomac
Completed in 1934, the Coast Guard Cutter Electra was converted to the presidential yacht and commissioned as a U.S. Navy Vessel, USS Potomac, in 1936. The 165-foot ship, which weighs 376 gross tons and has a cruising speed of . . . — Map (db m19056) HM
California (Alpine County), Kirkwood — Caples Lake
In 1849 Dr. James Caples passed through here on his way to California’s gold country. After a brief stay in Old Hangtown (Placerville) Caples remembered the lake and returned here with his family to establish a way station that served weary . . . — Map (db m11048) HM
California (Amador County), Amador City — Imperial Hotel
Present two story brick structure was completed in 1879. Designed as a mercantile store, then converted to hotel and boarding house to accommodate local miners and travelers. Remained in operation until 1927. Walls at the base are twelve bricks . . . — Map (db m9005) HM
California (Amador County), Amador City — 13 — Keystone Mine
Founded in 1851 from many claims. One of the most profitable and longest running mines. Joining with South Spring Hill Mine working till 1942. East shaft worked until 1952. Reached a depth of 2680'. Employed 100 men and produced $24,000,000 in gold. — Map (db m26037) HM
California (Amador County), Drytown — 17 — Fremont-Gover Mine
Founded prior to 1867 as the Loyal Lode Mine. The Fremont-Gover Company formed in 1872 and worked the Gover in the 1880’s and ‘90’s. The Fremont shaft was sunk in 1903 including a 40 stamp mill continuing in operation until 1918. Reopened in 1937 . . . — Map (db m8433) HM
California (Amador County), Drytown — Salute to Early Amador MinersE Clampus Vitus
This plaque is dedicated on September 10, 1960 by the ancient and honorable society of E Clampus Vitus to honor the memory of the early miners, both placer and quartz, of Amador County on the Mother Lode in California. It marks the place where in . . . — Map (db m10851) HM
California (Amador County), Fiddletown — H. C. Farnham House 1855
Hiram C. Farnham built this home for his bride, Eunice Haynes. It overlooked the creek and steam powered sawmill that he built with James McLeod in 1853 to serve the new rich gold strike in Fiddletown. The boomtown was served by six stagecoaches a . . . — Map (db m41369) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Ione Brewery
Built in the 1860’s of Ione Brick by Brewers Raab and Huttner. Served as a Brewery for Over 30 Years. In 1907 C.C. Prouty Moved His Creamery to this Site. A Soda Works and Ice Plant Were Installed in 1910. Various Businesses Have Occupied the . . . — Map (db m15825) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Butte Store
Constructed by Italian stone mason in 1857. Served pioneer settlers and miners as post office and general store later later known as Ginocchio's. — Map (db m100579) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Labor Day Celebration
On this site in 1905, a double jack drilling contest took place. A 31 ½ inch hole was drilled in this granite in 15 minutes. The contest was won by Matt Thomas & Pete Vasilovich. — Map (db m10777) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 865 — Site of Pioneer Jewish Synagogue
On September 18, 1857, Congregation B’nai Israel of Jackson dedicated on this site the first synagogue in the Mother Lode. High holiday worship continued until 1869 when the larger Masonic Hall was used to accommodate the congregation. The wooden . . . — Map (db m100588) HM
California (Amador County), Kit Carson — Mormon-Carson Pass Emigrant Trail
Mormon-Carson Pass Emigrant Trail, the heavily-travelled gateway to California gold fields, was blazed in 1848 by discharged members of the Mormon battalion traveling east to join their families. Five hundred Mormon volunteers, recruited in . . . — Map (db m10824) HM
California (Amador County), Pine Grove — Pine Grove
Late 1854, in a grove of tall pines Albert Leonard built his Pine Grove Home & Inn & was first postmaster. It was located at the junction of stage roads to Jackson and Clinton. Pine Grove post office was established July 12, 1856. First school . . . — Map (db m10505) HM
California (Amador County), Plymouth — 762 — D'Agostini Winery
D’Agostini Winery was started in 1856 by Adam Uhlinger, a Swiss immigrant. The original wine cellar, with walls made from rock quarried from nearby hills, hand hewn beams, and oak casks, is still in use and part of the present winery. Some original . . . — Map (db m100585) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Botto Saloon
Erected circa 1860 by Theresa and Constantino Botto. Originally a Granary. Saloon for Central Eureka Miners Through the 1920’s. Second Wood Story Torn Down in the 1980’s. Placed by Janet Friedberg, Botto Descendent. Amador County . . . — Map (db m15827) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — C. Soracco Company
Established in 1869 by Carlo Soracco, the store and adjoining residence were copied from similar buildings in Genoa, Italy. Carlo’s son, Frank, one of Amador County’s leading citizens, became proprietor in 1894. C. Soracco Co. was a major supplier . . . — Map (db m57992) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — J. Monteverde General Store Museum
Typical of old country stores at the turn of the century. Opened in 1898. Over its counter and from its shed, the Monteverde Family offered for sale all manner and description of merchandise. The emporium served as a meeting place for housewives, . . . — Map (db m8975) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Native Sons Hall
In 1851 first building to be erected on south part of site, was Hanford and Downs General Store. That stores Liberty flag pole, marked center of incorporated town, 1854. In 1865, most of building destroyed by fire. Purchased in 1875 by Giovanni B. . . . — Map (db m10744) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — 1001 — Chaw Sé Roundhouse
In a village, the roundhouse served as the center of ceremonial and social life. Constructed in 1974, the Chaw Sé roundhouse continues this tradition. With its door facing the east, towards the rising sun, four large oaks are the focal point of this . . . — Map (db m8720) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — General Store
In continuous use since 1852. Built of Volcano brick and native limestone. Originally two stores: The Sacramento (left) owned by Mandelbaum & Klauber; Charles Burleson's store (right). Burleson bought the Sacramento, 1861; joined stores in rear. . . . — Map (db m10580) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — Moose Milk
This plaque is in memory of the pioneers of California who assembled in Volcano where Moose Milk was originated. Dedicated this 13th day of January, 1951 by E Clampus Vitus. [A rededication marker, just below the main one, . . . — Map (db m9055) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — Union HotelFormerly Union Billiard Saloon and Boarding House 1880
A place for fun, frolic, dancing and good food for early gold miners and lumber mill workers. Room on the right served as the Justice Court, scene of the first hanging trial held by Judge Jonas, original owner Renovated in 1987 by . . . — Map (db m15832) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — Volcano Masonic Cave
In Memory of the Bryant Brothers Clemens E. Bryant, Thomas L. Bryant, Roy Bryant and Walter F. Bryant Whose surviving relatives deeded this property to Volcano Lodge No. 56 F. & A. M. on June 20, 1962. Our pioneer . . . — Map (db m15824) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — First Banking Institution in Ophir
This tablet commemorates the establishment of the First Banking Institution in Ophir now Oroville which was located on this site and occupied by McWilliams & Tymeson - G.A. Emery - Geo. Faulkner & Co. 1855-1865 . . . — Map (db m25694) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — Oroville Carnegie LibraryBuilt 1912
has been placed on National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior In 1911, Andrew Carnegie, Scottish industrialist, businessman, and major philanthropist, endowed upon City of Oroville $10,000 for . . . — Map (db m17229) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — 734 — Angels Hotel
C.C. Lake erected here a canvas hotel in 1851. It was replaced by a one-story wooden structure, and then by one of stone in 1855, with second story being added in 1857. Here, Samuel Clemens first heard the yarn, which was later to bring him fame as . . . — Map (db m17664) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — James H. Carson
. . . — Map (db m7502) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Utica Mine North Shaft
Utica Mine, the most important mine in the Angels District, set national records in the 1890's producing more than 4 million dollars in gold in 30 months. The Utica was also the site of Angels Camp's worst mine disaster when 17 men were buried when . . . — Map (db m25646) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Dunbar House
Built by Willis Dunbar for his bride. He was superintendant of the Union Water Company. On the original property were the lumber office and sheds of the Dunbar Lumber Company, built on the site of A. Sleeper & Co.’s lumberyard which Dunbar purchased . . . — Map (db m16097) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Jones Apothecary – Cheap Cash Store
After a fire in 1859, pioneer Doctor Jones rebuilt this structure to withstand future disasters. It served as his office, and is constructed of limestone, brick, 30 inch windowless walls and iron shuttered doors. In 1867, it was sold to John Hauselt . . . — Map (db m16049) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Masonic Hall
Under dispensation Ophir Lodge No. 33 Free and Accepted Masons was permitted to meet at “early candle light” in private homes within a radius of five miles. The Lodge was instituted in January and chartered May 6th 1853. Original, . . . — Map (db m16055) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Mercer Caverns
Discovered September 1, 1885, by Walter J. Mercer. Resting at this site and noticing movement of grass near a small hole. Enlarging the opening, he ascended into extensive caverns containing varieties of fantastic crystalline formations. The public . . . — Map (db m16017) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — St. Patrick's Catholic Church
Originally located near Dr. Jones apothecary and destroyed by fire, during which chalice and other sacred appurtenances were carried to safety by “Auntie” Moran in her voluminous apron. Present edifice financed by gold dust collected by . . . — Map (db m16042) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Stangetti – Solari – Cademartori Store
The stone portion built circa 1879 by Bernardo Bisso, called Stangetti, who ran a store until its sale to Sebastian Solari , circa 1881-83, who added the wooden portion and also operated a store. The stone section has walls more than 20 inches thick . . . — Map (db m16189) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — The Heinsdorff Bakery
In 1862, tinsmith Louis Robinson constructed this brick and stone building to replace his original frame store which was destroyed in the fire of August 20, 1859. In 1869 it became a bakery and store, a use it was to have over the next 40 years. The . . . — Map (db m16016) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Valente Building
Built about 1891 of local lava rock by James Valente, custom bootmaker & dealer in hats. His boots brought the then high cost of $10.00 & wore well for years. After his demise, his widow Kate, continued sales with aid of their son, Leo, who repaired . . . — Map (db m16101) HM
California (Calaveras County), San Andreas — First Restaurant in Town
On this site, Joseph Zwinge built the first restaurant - tent - in 1853 known as the American Restaurant. After losing his buildings to three fires, Zwinge erected a permanent stone structure in 1855, in 1857 a brick extension was added to enlarge . . . — Map (db m16040) HM
California (Calaveras County), West Point — HOSTAGE: A most painful experience of human suffering444 Days - "Free at Last"
All Americans have a partnership in the "ROCK" at West Point, California. ...It's purpose is to demonstrate the solidarity of the American people in their heartfelt concern and compassion for the 53 fellow Americans taken from the U.S. Embassy . . . — Map (db m91729) HM WM
California (Calaveras County), West Point — Keepers of the Land!
This is a truth about the tragic destruction of a way of life — It happened for only one reason. Our people abandoned so many Indian villages in Calaveras County alone! The Miwok lived a quiet, simple life, so close to nature they . . . — Map (db m91727) HM
California (Colusa County), College City — Pierce Christian College
College City is the site of the Pierce Christian College established in 1874 through the generosity of Andrew Pierce, founder of both the town and the college. The college provided Christian education for the young people of the area until the . . . — Map (db m41810) HM
California (Colusa County), Colusa — 9 — Carnegie Library
Erected 1906 Colusa Heritage Marker 9 Dedicated October 6, 1981 — Map (db m16761) HM
California (Colusa County), Colusa — 2 — I.O.O.F. Building
I.O.O.F. Building Erected 1892 Colusa Heritage Marker 2 May 6, 1977 — Map (db m27648) HM
California (Colusa County), Colusa — 1 — Judge H. M. Albery House
Judge H. M. Albery House Erected 1874 Colusa Heritage Marker 1 Dedicated May 6, 1977 — Map (db m26238) HM
California (Colusa County), Colusa — 8 — Our Lady of Lourdes Church
Erected 1880-1881 Colusa Heritage Marker 8 Dedicated October 12, 1980 — Map (db m17492) HM
California (Colusa County), Colusa — 11 — Will Semple Green House
. . . — Map (db m16762) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — Riverview Union High School
This was the first high school constructed in Contra Costa County. Supported by the Womans Club of Antioch, the first joint communities bond was passed in 1908 for $20,000 by Antioch, Pittsburg, Somersville, Nortonville and Live Oak. Charles . . . — Map (db m91845) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Byron — ByronEst. 1878
At this location, in 1878, a railroad station was established for the San Pablo and Tulare Railroad, which ran from Los Banos to Martinez, later to become part of the Southern Pacific Railway, for the purpose of taking on water, and became known as . . . — Map (db m17325) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clayton — Black Diamond Way
In 1892 Contra Costa County named Black Diamond Way, and maintained it as a road until 1982. (Locally it was also known as "Nortonville Road".) Black Diamond Way became part of Black Diamond Mt. Diablo Regional Trail in 1985. Black Diamond . . . — Map (db m27431) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clayton — Joaquin Murrieta
Born in Mexico in 1832 the renowned "Robin Hood of the El Dorado" spent his early days in Californa working in Contra Costa County as a vaquero before turning bandit. Dedicated By Joaquin Murrieta Chapter No. 13 E Clampus Vitus November 6, 1976 . . . — Map (db m24567) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clayton — The Clayton Club
Jacob Rhine's National Saloon had an impressive inventory of cigars and liquor in 1874. The saloon was renamed after Carl Berendsen bought the property in 1905. He added a building shipped from San Francisco via Martinez for family living . . . — Map (db m57976) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clayton — The Clayton Post Office
The Clayton Post Office, established on October 4, 1861, is one of the oldest post offices in continuous operation in California. Ensuring its continuation in Clayton was one reason for incorporating the city in 1964. During the past 140 . . . — Map (db m24534) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clyde — The Only Train Stop in Clyde
This monument commemorates what was once the only train stop in Clyde. The train that came through this stop in the early 1900's was owned by Southern Pacific and brought mail, passengers, and freight to this unique little town. [Lower marker . . . — Map (db m17341) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Concord — Bibber House
Concord Historical Landmark Built in 1912 by L.V. Perry — Map (db m17406) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Concord — Dedicated to the Founders of Todos Santos1994
{pictured above on the marker (left to right), Don Fernando Pacheco, 1818-1884; Don Salvio Pacheco, 1793-1876; Don Francisco Galindo, 1820-1891} In 1868 Don Salvio Pacheco; his son, Don Fernando Pacheco; and his son-in-law, Don Francisco . . . — Map (db m17440) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Concord — Neustaedter House
Concord Historical Landmark Built in 1906 by L.V. Perry — Map (db m17422) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Crockett — Al Zampa Memorial BridgeCrockett, California 2003
Alfred 'Al' Zampa was the first born son of Emilio and Maria Zampa, Italian immigrants who migrated to the USA from Abruzzi, Italy. Al was born on March 12, 1905 in Selby, California down river from where this plaque sits. He was the eldest of three . . . — Map (db m91658) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Crockett — Anza Expedition of 1776
"We called to these Indians, hoping to buy their fish from them." From Father Pedro Font's Diary, April 2, 1776 In 1775 and 1776, Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza, Father Pedro Font, along with 240 settlers, soldiers, . . . — Map (db m91652) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Crockett — Crockett World War I Veterans MemorialMemorial Hall
(periods added to aid legibility) In Loving Memory of the men of this community who gave their lives in the 1917     Great World War     1919 D. Crowley · G.M. Lee · W.E. Dunn · O.A. Sweet · M.H. Sievers · F. Remaini · B.L. . . . — Map (db m91651) WM
California (Contra Costa County), Danville — 853 — Captain Pedro Fages TrailHistorical Landmark 1772
Fages, Commandante at Monterey, vainly looked for a way across San Francisco Bay. With Juan Crespi, Franciscan missionary, 14 soldiers, a muleteer and an Indian servant, he trekked along Carquinez Strait, thence eastward nearly to Antioch. Turning . . . — Map (db m91703) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Corridors of ChangeSenderos del Cambio / 变化的走廊
Juan Bautista de Anza National Trail passed through present day El Cerrito April 1, 1776     Homeland of the Huchiun-Ohlone Tribe of American Indians The fields are green with grass and thickly covered with various wildflowers." - . . . — Map (db m91843) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — El Cerrito Public Library
With an inventory of fifty books, El Cerrito's first public library was opened in the local post office in 1913. It moved several times before expanding and relocating to Stockton Avenue in 1949, becoming the first postwar library built in the Bay . . . — Map (db m91361) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Fairmont School
Fairmont School was originally built about 1903 and was El Cerrito's second school. Fires claimed many structures in early El Cerrito, including Fairmont School, which burned down in 1924. A new school was built at the same site on Stockton between . . . — Map (db m91358) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Ranchos San Pablo and San Antonio Boundary Monument
{North-facing side:} This Monument marks the Northern Boundary of the Rancho San Antonio 43,473 acres granted by Governor Pablo Vicente de Sola acting for the King of Spain to Don Luis Maria Peralta August 3, . . . — Map (db m36728) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Lafayette — Dedicated to the Pony Express
In 1860-1861 Pony Express riders stopped in Lafayette 19 times to change horses en route to San Francisco from St. Joseph, Missouri Lafayette Historical Society 1992 — Map (db m24461) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Lafayette — Geils Building
Fred Geils erected this saloon in 1880. It has housed various businesses through the years, including dressmaking, butcher, shoe repair and barber shops. Dedicated by Soroptimist Club of Lafayette-Orinda June 29, 1971 — Map (db m25091) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Lafayette — Lafayette House
Dedicated April 23, 1998 Lafayette House Added Station By Diablo Foods Better Homes Realty - Lafayette Diamond K. Supply, Ltd. Lafayette Chamber of Commerce Lafayette Historical Society Pony Express Trail Association {reverse . . . — Map (db m24916) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Lafayette — Lafayette Town Hall
Community spirit led to construction of this hall by the Lafayette Improvement Club. Land was donated by Frank and Rose Ghiglione with funds and labor provided by the townspeople. A grand opening ball and midnight supper were held on May 1, 1914. . . . — Map (db m49861) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 225 Buckley StreetOld Town Martinez — Home of Historic Interest
. . . — Map (db m91709) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 335 TalbartOld Town Martinez — Home of Historic Interest
Original Buckley Home William Buckley was in charge of the Carquinez Ferry piers and slips. Later home to several Italian fishing families.
Built 1884 — Map (db m91653) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 413 Talbart
Old Town Martinez Home of Historic Interest Original home of Antonio and Marian Bruno Russo of Sicily. Later home to bocce champion, Gino di Tullio and wife, Mimma of Pozzuoli Italy Circa 1900 — Map (db m17463) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 535 TalbartOld Town Martinez — Home of Historic Interest
. . . — Map (db m91664) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 605, 607 & 615 TalbartOld Town Martinez — Home of Historical Interest
Original home of fisherman Nino Cardinalli & family who operated Cardinallis Fish Market at 604 Alhambra. He & wife Jenny, were parents of former county supervisor Nancy Fahden Built 1913 — Map (db m91663) HM
Colorado (Adams County), Strasburg — First Transcontinental Railroad
A continuous chain of rails, from the Atlantic to the Pacific had long been a vision of pioneer railroaders and frontier tamers. It became a reality at 3:00 pm on August 15, 1870 at a point 928 feet east of railroad milepost 602, near Comanche . . . — Map (db m87596) HM
Colorado (Boulder County), Boulder — At the Foot of The Slabs
(Left Panel) Climbing -- A Longtime Boulder Passion Scrambling, tramping, hiking, climbing, mountaineering...No matter the name, early Colorado Chautauquans reveled in their outings into the adjacent foothills. In 1908, . . . — Map (db m88253) HM
Colorado (Boulder County), Boulder — Boulder County Courthouse FountainRenovated in 1998
The fountain was erected in 1936 by the Boulder Lions Club. Its smooth terra cotta cladding and strong vertical lines complement the 1933 Art Deco Style courthouse. The courthouse and fountain were designed by local architect Glen H. Huntington. . . . — Map (db m87600) HM
Colorado (Boulder County), Boulder — The Gettysburg Address
Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great Civil War, testing whether that nation, . . . — Map (db m87645) HM
Colorado (Boulder County), Boulder — L-90-1 — White-Davis Mercantile Building1874
This building was the site of a continuously operated dry goods store from 1874 until the closing of Brooks-Fauber in 1986. It is one of the oldest commercial structures in the downtown historic district. — Map (db m87716) HM
Colorado (Boulder County), Lafayette — Mary Miller Historical Mural
This mural is a composite of two historical photographs. One is the 1862 image of our town's founder, Mary Miller with her husband, Lafayette, (D. 1878), for whom she named the town. Mary platted 150 acres and sank the first coal mine shaft in 1887. . . . — Map (db m87606) HM
Colorado (Boulder County), Superior — The Denver-Boulder Turnpike
The Denver-Boulder highway near this marker stands as a memorial to those men of vision who brought it into existence. Planning for such a highway began in 1927 by Professor Roderick L. Downing, whose University engineering students later . . . — Map (db m87611) HM
Kentucky (Campbell County), Newport — 1708 — “Tommygun” Inventor
Brig. Gen. John T. Thompson, USA, inventor of Thompson submachine gun, was born here in 1860. A West Point graduate of 1882, he was early advocate of automatic weapons and improved many small arms. Awarded Distinguished Service Medal as Director of . . . — Map (db m98032) HM
Nevada, Carson City — 1 — Empire and the Carson River Mills1864 - 1964
When the Comstock Lode was discovered in 1859, the problem of reducing the ore from the fabulously rich Virginia City mines had to be solved. Mills were built in Gold Canyon and Six Mile Canyon. In Washoe Valley, at Dayton, and on the Carson River . . . — Map (db m55083) HM
Pennsylvania (Berks County), Shartlesville — ShartlesvilleHamburg 8
Named for Colonel Peter Shartle Pioneer settler and soldier Founded 1765 — Map (db m98911) HM

872 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 672
Paid Advertisement