Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

5893 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 5693
 
Cathedral (Parish Church of Our Lady of the Assumption) Marker image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, July 20, 2013
Cathedral (Parish Church of Our Lady of the Assumption) Marker
Australia, New South Wales, Manly — Marine Parade1920s
From this lookout, formally attired spectors (sic) watch a surf carnival against a sweeping panorama of thriving pines. Today high-rise buildings dwarf the trees, which were damaged by airborne pollution from North Head sewage works. Since the . . . — Map (db m70686) HM
Australia, Tasmania, Latrobe — Edwin Maw1858
The Lucas Platypus Experience is housed in a classified building on the register of the National Trust Estate. In 1858 George Atkinson built a licensed hotel “The Royal Charter Inn” on the present site. At the time he imported from . . . — Map (db m70668) HM
Australia, Tasmania, Launceston — Launceston Gasworks
Lighting up Launceston First established in 1858, the Launceston Gasworks charts the growth of the gas industry in Tasmania and the development of the city of Launceston itself. The site was purchased in 1858 by the Launceston Gas . . . — Map (db m70667) HM
Australia, Victoria, Melbourne — Pillar of Stone
This pillar of stone quarried from Stawell was placed here on the insistence of The Hon. John Woods, M.P. (born Liverpool England November 5th 1822, died Brighton Victoria April 2nd 1892; engineer, politician and inventor, commissioner . . . — Map (db m70636) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — "Golden Eagle"“Goldener Adler”
Errichtet im Zuge des Wiederaufbaues nach dem Brand von 1450 zählt der Goldene Adler am Unteren Stadtplatz zu den ältesten und –durch seinen Laubenvorbau – auch stattlichsten Gasthäusern von Innsbruck. Die spätgotischen Fassadenfresken . . . — Map (db m68141) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — "Ottoburg" Castle“Ottoburg”
Spätgotischer Wohnturm, seit 1476 urkundlich nachweisbar. Der spätere Kaiser Maximilian I. verlieh den “Turn” 1497 an den Fürsten Rudolf von Anhalt, nach dessen Tod (1515) nur noch bürgerliche Besitzer folgten. Vielleicht deshalb wurde . . . — Map (db m68147) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Andreas Hofer
In diesem Hause hatte anno 1809 Andreas Hofer wiederholt Aufenthalt während der Kämpfe für die Befreiung des Vaterlandes. Hier wurde auch am 2. Novemb. 1809 die Unterwerfung beschlossen: “Nun in Gottes Namen, es wirds unser lieber . . . — Map (db m68138) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Bederlunger HouseBederlungerhaus — Hofgasse 2
Die Geschichte dieses Hauses geht bereits in die früheste Zeit der Stadt zurück. Schon bald nach der Gründung der Stadt südlich der Innbrücke wurden auch die ersten Vorgängergebäude des heutigen Hauses errichtet. Im Erdgeschoss konnten romanische . . . — Map (db m68374) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — First Office Building of the Tyrolean Provincial AssemblyErstes Amtshaus der Tiroler Landstände (Landhaus)
Erstes Amtshaus der Tiroler Landstände (Landhaus) Wohl aus zwei Bürgerhäusern zusammen=gewachsen, trug diese Haus um 1536 die Bezeichnung “Zum guldenen Engl” und wurde 1613 von der “Tiroler Landschaft” als ihr erstes . . . — Map (db m68328) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Goethe Stayed HereHier weilte Goethe
Hier weilte Goethe, diese Tatsache wird wohl jeden Fremden, der Innsbruck besucht, in die Goethe-Stube sühren. Hier weilte Kaiser Josef II. Hier weilte Andreas Hofer: Mehr zu sagen ist unnötig. In der Goethe Stube verkehren die Tiroler Künstler . . . — Map (db m68182) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Gumpp HouseHaus der Künstlerfamilien Gumpps
Dieses Haus war von 1653 – 1765 die Wohnstätte der Künstlerfamilie Gumpp der die bedeutendsten barocken Baumeister Innsbrucks angehörten: Christof 1600 – 1672 Joh. Martin d.Ä. 1643 – 1729 Georg Anton 1687 . . . — Map (db m68291) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Hölblinghaus
Dieses gotische Bürgerhaus des 15. Jahrhunderts, welches 1725 von Johann Fischer, dem Kassier der Haller Münzstätte, erworben wurde, erheilt damals vermutlich von dem um 1723 nach Innsbruck übersiedelten Stukkateur Anton Gigl aus Wessobrunn seine . . . — Map (db m68113) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Innsbruck's First SchoolAlte Stadtschule
Dieses von innen her an die mittelalterliche Stadtmauer gebaute Wohnhaus diente vermutlich schon im 14. Jh., nachweisbar aber von 1469 bis 1768 als Innsbrucks erstes Schulhaus. Der Durchgang wurde um 1672 als Zugang zum ersten Innsbrucker . . . — Map (db m68369) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Jakob Hutter
Hier Wurde Am 25. Februar 1536 Jakob Hutter Haupt der Wiedertäufer in Tirol, auf dem Scheiterhaufen Hingerichtet. German-English translation: Here On 25 February 1536 Jacob Hutter Head of the Anabaptists . . . — Map (db m68115) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Jesuit Church of the Holy TrinityJesuitenkirche zur Hl. Dreifaltigkeit
Jesuitenkirche zur Hl. Dreifaltigkeit Nach der Gründung des Jesuitenkollegs 1561 schritt man erst 1619 zum Bau einer eigenen Klosterkirche, deren Rohbau – am Platz vor der bestehenden – 1626 einstürzte. Hierauf folgte 1627/40 nach . . . — Map (db m68445) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Katzunghaus
Katzunghaus Dieses im 15. Jh. erbaute spätgotische Bürgerhaus tritt vor allem durch seinen Eckerker hervor. Die dortigen Reliefs sind Arbeiten aus der Werkstatt Gregor Türing’s (+1543) und zeigen einerseits Musikanten und Spielleute, andererseits . . . — Map (db m68329) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Kolb TowerKolbenturm
Wahrscheinlich bereits im 13. Jh. wie ein Torturm über die Schlossergasse erbaut, befand sich dieser Wohnturm der Familie Kolb mit den beiderseits anschliessenden Häusern von ca. 1450 bis 1582 in landesfürstlichem Besitz und fungierte 1563/82 als . . . — Map (db m68293) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Leopold Mozart
Hier in diesem Hause wohnte im Jahre 1769 am 14. Dezember herr Leopold Mozart hochfürstl. Salzburgischer Kapellmeister, mit seinem 13 jährigem Sohne Wolfgang Amadäus Mozart und gab Conzerte beim Grafen. Künigl . . . — Map (db m68296) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Lodron PalacePalais Lodron
Palais Lodron Josef Nikolaus Graf Lodron hat 1744 zwei an dieser Stelle stehende Bürgerhäuser erworben und sei noch vor 1749 einheitlich als Rokokopalais umbauen lassen. Aus dieser Zeit stammt auch das Medaillon in der Höhe des ersten Stockes mit . . . — Map (db m68378) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Magistrate Zeller's HouseStadtrichter Zeller-Haus
Stadtrichter Zeller-Haus Dieses Haus war um 1485 bis 1543 im Besitz der Innsbrucker Bürgerfamilie Zeller. Walter Zeller d.Ä. liess, als er 1495 Stadtrichter war, im Laubengewölbe das bemerkenswerte Quaternionen-oder Reichsadlerfresko anbringen, . . . — Map (db m68295) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Marc Antonio Cesti(1623 Arezzo – 1669 Florenz)
Marc Antonio Cesti (1623 Arezzo – 1669 Florenz) Seit 1645 Kapellmeister am Dom zu Volterra, kam er 1652 als Hofkapellmeister an den Hof Erzherzog Ferdinand Karls. Ursprünglich nur als Komponist für Auftragswerke, übersiedelte er um 1654 nach . . . — Map (db m68372) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Old Government BuildingAltes Regierungsgebäude
In seinem Kern aus zwei gotischen Häusern bestehend wurde dieses Gebäude 1569 von Erzherzog Ferdinand II. als Amtsgebäude für die “oberösterreichische Regierung” gekauft. Im 2.Stock spätgotischer Kapellenraum erhalten. Der durch ein . . . — Map (db m68797) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Precht HousePrechthaus — Pfarrgasse 4
Pfarrgasse 4 Prechthaus Das Prechthaus stammt aus dem 15. Jahrhundert. Unter Dr. Basilius Precht wurde es 1540 durch Gregor Türing umgebaut. 1588 erwarb es Dr. J. Moser, der Gründer der Hofbuchhandlung und Universitätsdruckerei, die . . . — Map (db m68331) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — St. James CathedralDom zu St. Jakob
Die heutige barocke Dom- Pfarrkirche wurde 1717/24 nach Plänen von Johann Jakob Herkommer mit einer für ihn charakteristischen Chorkuppel erbaut. Zuvor erhoben sich hier seit der Anlage der Altstadt (ab 1180) mehrere Vorgängerbauten, deren . . . — Map (db m68367) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — The Church of the Holy Spirit HospitalSpitalskirche
Spitalskirche Diese, in den Jahren 1700/01 vom Innsbrucker Barockbaumeister Johann Martin Gumpp erbaute Barockkirche erhebt sich östlich anschliessend an das ehemalige, im Jahre 1307 errichtete Stadtspital zum hl. Geist (heute Schule). Der Erstbau . . . — Map (db m68375) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — The Court or Franciscan ChurchHof- bzw. Franziskanerkirche
Hof- bzw. Franziskanerkirche Die Innsbrucker Hofkirche (1553/63) beherbergt das bedeutendste Kaisergrab des Abendlandes. Das Grabmal wurde zum Gedenken an Kaiser Maximilian I. (1459 – 1519) errichtet. Die bedeutendsten Künstler der Zeit wie . . . — Map (db m68439) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — The Golden Roof and New CourtyardGoldenes Dachl und neuer Hof
In diesem Gebäude befand sich von 1420 bis ca. 1460 die Residenz der Tiroler Landesfürsten Friedrich IV. und Sigmund des Münzreichen. Der mit 2657 feuervergoldeten Kupferschindeln gedeckte Prunkerker, das Wahrzeichen der Stadt, wurde als . . . — Map (db m68114) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — The House of Archduke Sigismund of TyrolHaus von Erzherzog Sigismund von Tirol
Dieses Haus liess Erzherzog Sigismund von Tirol um 1480 für seinen Burgriesen Nickolaus Haidl erbauen und mit dessen Bildnis zieren. Dasselbe wurde von verschiedenen historischen Persöulichkeiten bewohnt und diente u. a. dem Feldherrn Prinz Eugen . . . — Map (db m68112) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — The Inn River BridgeInnbrücke
Benannt nach der 1180 erstmals urkundlich erwähnten Brücke über den Inn, die der Stadt auch ihren Namen gab und sich im Stadtwappen wieder findet. German-English translation: The Inn River Bridge Named after the first bridge . . . — Map (db m68148) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — The New SeminaryNeues Stift — Universitätsstrasse 2
Gleichzeitig mit der Hofkirche 1553-63 nach Plänen Andrea Crivellis von Nikolaus Turing d.J. (gest 1558) und Marco della Bolia erbaut und als Stifts-Gebäude für regulierte Chorherren gedacht, diente dieser ursprüngliche Renaissancebau mit seinem . . . — Map (db m68442) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — The Old City Hall / City TowerAltes Rathaus / Stadtturm
Altes Rathaus Innsbrucks altes Rathaus das älteste in Tirol, wurde 1358 mit Landesfürstlicher Hilfe errichtet. Der Laubengang und der Stadtturm wurden 1442/50 vorgebaut. Das ursprünglich einstockige Gebäude 1658 aufgestockt und mit dem . . . — Map (db m68116) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — The Old Town Armory/BarracksAlte Stadtburg
Gleichzeitig mit der Anlage der Innsbucker Altstadt um 1180/1204 als Stadtburg der Grafen von Andechs, Herzoge von Meranien errichtet und vom 15. bis 18. Jh. als “inneres” oder Stadt – Zeughaus bzw. ab 1780 als Kaserne . . . — Map (db m68180) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — The Old UniversityAlte Universität
Alte Universität Der ältere, westliche Teil dieses Gebäudes mit Eck-Wappenstein entstand 1562 bei der Erstanlage des Innsbrucker Jesuitenkollegs, wobei eine um 1499 erbaute Salvatorkirche miteingebunden und in die Strasse hinein erweitert worden . . . — Map (db m68444) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — The Pecking- or Women’s GateDas Picken- oder Frauentor
Das Picken- oder Frauentor Errichtet um 1340 – Abgetragen 1779 Der Stadt Innsbruck gewidmet vom Innsbrucker Verschönerungsverein German-English translation: The Pecking- or Women’s Gate Built in 1340 – Demolished in . . . — Map (db m68181) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — The SpeechAnrede
Anrede, die Andrä Hofer am 15. August 1809 vom Gasthof z.goldenen Adler in Innsbruck an eine grosse Menge Landesverteidiger u.viele Stadtbewohner nachstehenden Inhalts gehalten hat: “Grüass enk Gott meine liab’n Schbrucker, weil ös mi zum . . . — Map (db m68183) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — The Teutonic Order HouseDeutschordenshaus
Um während der Hof- und Landtage in der Residenzstadt eine eigene Wohnstätte zu besitzen, hat Heinrich v. Kneringen, Landkomtur des Deutschen Ordens “an der Etsch und im Gebirge” mit Sitz in Bozen dieses Haus erworben. Die Erker . . . — Map (db m68137) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — The Tower of the Coat of ArmsWappenturm
1490 im Auftrage des Kaisers Maximilian I, erbaut und vom Hofmaler Jörg Kölderer mit den Wappen der Habsburgischen Länder geschmückt. 1766 in die neue Hofburg eingebaut. Der Stadt Innsbruck gewidmet vom Innsbrucker Verschönerungsverein. . . . — Map (db m68135) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — The Trautson HouseTrautsonhaus
Gotisches Laubenhaus des 15. Jh. mit Lichtschacht, welches im Jahre 1541 unter seinem damaligen Besitzer Hanns Trautson von Matrei, Sprechenstein und Schrofenstein, Erbland- Marschall von Tirol, seit 1541 Freiherr, durch Meister Gregor Türing . . . — Map (db m68325) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — To Mantua in Chains (The Song of Andreas Hofer)Zu Mantua in Banden (Andreas Hofer Lied)
Julius Mosen Geb. 1803 Dichter aus dem Vogtland Leopold Knebelsberger Komponist aus dem Zillertaler Rainer Kreis, die Schöpper des Andreas Hofer liedes, Unserer Landeshymne. Emmerich Kedle Fec. German-English . . . — Map (db m68142) HM
Yukon Territory, Carcross — White Pass & Yukon Route“The Golden Spike”
Construction of the White Pass & Yukon Railway began on May 27, 1898 at Skagway, Alaska during the height of the great Klondike Gold Rush.

Undaunted by those who said the railway could not be built a small group of devoted White Passers composed . . . — Map (db m49366) HM

Yukon Territory, Carcross — White Pass & Yukon RouteGolden Spike Centennial
The golden spike was driven to mark the completion of the White Pass & Yukon Route Railway on July 29, 1900. It was the beginning of a fully integrated rail transportation system – which grew to include lakes & river steamboats, stage lines, . . . — Map (db m72917) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — 3rd Avenue ComplexLe complexe de la 3e avenue
[English] In Dawson City’s history, permafrost ranks second only to fire as the bane of buildings. These three structures, dating from 1901, illustrate what can happen when heated buildings are placed on frozen ground; the frost melts, mixing water . . . — Map (db m49305) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Arctic Brotherhood Hall1901-2001
The Arctic Brotherhood was a fraternal organization formed onboard the steamer Seattle while anchored at Skagway. In 1901 Camp #4 Dawson City built a fraternity hall, known as the Arctic Brotherhood Hall to host their meetings as well as uphold . . . — Map (db m49348) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Bank of British North America/La Bank of British North America
[English:] The BNA, which opened Dawson City’s first bank in a tent in 1898, moved into these premises in 1899. By providing the essential services of assaying, buying and shipping gold, it helped integrate the local currency of dust and nuggets . . . — Map (db m44857) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Billy Bigg’s Blacksmith ShopLa forge de Billy Bigg
[English] This building stands as a testament to the way frontier businesses changed and adapted to new realities. It began life in 1899 as the two storey Great Northern Hotel, to service the needs of a rapidly growing population. By 1907, as the . . . — Map (db m49304) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Dawson Daily NewsLe Dawson Daily News
[English] The Dawson Daily News moved into this building in 1910, the sole survivor among 7 gold rush newspapers. It provided Dawson City with a window to the outside world and remained a profitable business until the early 1920s. Thereafter, it . . . — Map (db m49301) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Discovery ClaimConcession de la Découverte
[English:] The names Robert Henderson, Skookum Jim, Tagish Charlie and George Carmack are inextricably linked to the discovery of gold on Bonanza Creek. Henderson was first to systematically explore the gold bearing potential of the region, only . . . — Map (db m44702) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Dr. Brown’s ResidenceRésidence du docteur Brown
[English] Built for Dr. Brown, a dentist, in 1902, this attractive little bungalow was tangible proof that affluent residents had confidence in the future of Dawson City and were willing to put down roots. While this may have been somewhat . . . — Map (db m49345) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Harrington’s StoreLe magasin Harrington
[English] Like other grocers at the turn of the century, Harrington provided a cosmopolitan clientele with every conceivable foodstuff, from beans to truffles. This was made possible by the coincidence of improved transportation systems with new . . . — Map (db m49303) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — K.T.M. CompanyLa compagnie K.T.M.
[English] Built in 1899, this warehouse was taken over by the Klondike Thawing Machine Company 1n 1913. The growing hardware company was it the process of buying out other firms and expanding its line of goods even as Klondike gold claims were . . . — Map (db m49302) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Macaulay’s ResidenceRésidence Macaulay
[English] This fine two storey house, built in 1901, was owned by Henry C. Macaulay, Dawson City’s first mayor. Subsequently, it housed such affluent individuals as a merchant, a Territorial Commissioner, a surveyor, and senior management of the . . . — Map (db m49343) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Madame Tremblay’s Store/Le magasin de Madame Tremblay
While this building dates from 1899, it did not become Mme. Tremblay’s, a dry goods and novelty shop, until 1913. Émillie Tremblay had first come to the territory as a young French Canadian bride in 1895 with her husband Jack. After 15 years on . . . — Map (db m44933) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — N.W.M.P. Commanding Officer’s QuartersLe logement du commandant de la P.C.N.O.
[English] This handsome residence was built in 1902 for the commanding officer of the North West Mounted Police. It lent dignity, authority and a degree of permanence to the presence of law and order in Dawson City. While the police presence was . . . — Map (db m49341) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Northern Commercial Co. WarehouseL’entrepôt de la Northern Commercial Co.
[English] One of the complex of four warehouses that covered an entire city block in 1898, this and numerous other warehoused like it provided the life blood of Dawson City. For four months a year, the river was open for shipping and in the ensuing . . . — Map (db m49346) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Palace Grand Theatre/Le théâtre Grand Palace
[English:] “Arizona” Charlie Meadows, showman and self-made heroic figure built a lavish structure in 1899 to prospect gold directly from the miner’s pokes. Hugely successful over its first winter, the theatre offered vaudeville acts, . . . — Map (db m44890) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Post Office/Le bureau de poste
[English:] Prime Minister Laurier himself recognized the need to link the Klondike with the rest of the country. In 1900, he urged that the building of a Post Office “...be proceeded with at once.” As the first substantial building . . . — Map (db m44936) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Rev. William Henry Judge, S.J.St. Mary's Catholic Church
Credited with saving many lives, Father Judge was one of the true heroes of the Klondike, serving the area from May 1897 until his death January 16, 1899. In this short period he built St. Mary’s Hospital, a church and residences, doing much of the . . . — Map (db m70916) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Robert Service's Cabin / La cabane de Robert Service
English: Within 5 years of Robert Service's departure in 1912, the local press referred to his rented cabin as a “shrine”. It became Yukon’s foremost tourist attraction virtually from the day it was abandoned. Maintained, . . . — Map (db m42695) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Ruby’s Place/La maison de Ruby
[English:] Opened as a boarding house and laundry in 1902, the building was taken over by Mathilde “Ruby” Scott in 1935. For over 27 years, this former Paris Madame operated a brothel here, finding a ready clientele in the seasonal . . . — Map (db m44887) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — St. Andrew’s Church and ManseL’église et le presbytère St. Andrew’s
[English] This substantial Presbyterian Church was a reflection of the prosperity and commitment of the congregation it served. Erected in 1901, it boasted a pipe organ and carved oak pews that could accommodate 600. The church bore the . . . — Map (db m49307) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — The B.Y.N. Co. Ticket Office/La billettetereie de la compagnie B.Y.N.
[English:] This structure, built in 1900, is all that remains of a larger complex that included a warehouse and dock. At the time of the gold rush and for years afterwards, the riverfront was the transition point between Dawson City and the rest of . . . — Map (db m44859) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — The Midnight Dome
“What fools we mortals be.” About 150 people, “many of whom were ladies”, attended the first formal gathering to see the midnight sun on June 21, 1899. Weary mountaineers were greeted with a selection of nuts, candies and . . . — Map (db m44762) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Tribute to the Miner
Dedicated to the Klondike Gold Miners past, present and future in recognition of their contributions to Dawson City and the Klondike Region.

In 1896, gold was discovered on Rabbit Creek (later known as Bonanza Creek) by Skookum Jim, George . . . — Map (db m49349) HM

Yukon Territory, Dawson City — West Dawson
West Dawson was settled c. 1899 by people wanting to avoid overcrowding and typhoid outbreaks in Dawson. Farms also became established and later, as mining in the Sixtymile area increased, a link with Dawson became necessary. In 1902 a ferry guided . . . — Map (db m44711) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Yukon Hotel
[English] When it was built in the fall of 1898, the Binet Block stood at the southern end of the business district extending north to King Street. A two-storey log building with a facade of milled lumber, it was typical of commercial structures . . . — Map (db m49306) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Yukon Saw Mill Office Historic Site
The Yukon Saw Mill Company was one of the first to cut timber in the Klondike, registering its first timber lease in March of 1898. At its peak, the company’s machine shop was the largest north of Vancouver, and its lumberyard stretched over three . . . — Map (db m44761) HM
Yukon Territory, Haines Junction — The Tatshenshini RiverLa rivière Tatshenshini
{English} The Tatshenshini River, known as Shawshe Chu in the Southern Tutchone language, begins in northwestern British Columbia and flows nearly 200 kilometers through the traditional territory of the Champagne and Aishihik First Nations into the . . . — Map (db m49612) HM
Yukon Territory, Watson Lake — Welcome to the Sign Post Forest
In 1942, during the construction of the Alaska Highway, the United States Army Corps of Engineers erected mileage posts at their camps that listed places, distances and directions in the Yukon, other Canadian cities, cities within the United States . . . — Map (db m72697) HM
Yukon Territory, Whitehorse — Alaska Highway
(left marker) At this site on 1 April 1946 the United States Army officially handed over the Alaska Highway and associated facilities to the Canadian Army This plaque is dedicated to the those who built and cared for . . . — Map (db m42832) HM
Yukon Territory, Whitehorse — Copper Nugget
This immense slab of native copper weighs 2590 pounds or 1175 kilograms. In 1905, prospectors found the copper on the upper White River, 250 miles northwest of Whitehorse. This is the Yukon’s largest copper nugget, possibly a Canadian record. . . . — Map (db m42727) HM
Yukon Territory, Whitehorse — Log Church & Rectory
The Reverend Richard Bowen and his wife, veterans of the Klondike Goldrush arrived here August 1, 1900 at the call of Bishop Bompas. Bowen immediately undertook with volunteer labour to build this church of logs and held his first service on October . . . — Map (db m42864) HM
Yukon Territory, Whitehorse — SS Klondike
English: The largest vessel ever to ply the Canadian portion of the Yukon River, this sternwheeler was built by the British Yukon Navigation Co. and launched at Whitehorse in 1937 to replace her namesake, which sank the year before. . . . — Map (db m42699) HM
Yukon Territory, Whitehorse — White Pass and Yukon Route RailwayLe Chemin de Fer White Pass et Yukon
English: Built at the time of the Klondike Gold Rush, the 177 km narrow gauge railway was the heart of the Yukon transportation system for over 80 years. Completed in 1900, it linked the tidewater port of Skagway in Alaska with Whitehorse, . . . — Map (db m42863) HM
Croatia, City of Zagreb, Zagreb — Bogoslav Šulek
(Croatian:) U Ovoj Kuci Je Živio I Umro Znameniti Hrvatski Prosvjetitelj, Preporoditelj, Polihistor I Leksikograf Bogoslav Šulek 20.IV.1816 - 30.XI.1896 Rodom Slovak Srcem I Dušom Hrvat Svoj Je Život I . . . — Map (db m128932) HM
Croatia, City of Zagreb, Zagreb — Nikola Tesla
Smatram Svojom Dužnošću・Da Kao Rodeni Sin Svoje Zemlje Pomognem Gradu Zagrebu U Svakom Pogledu Savjetom I Činom - Rekao Je U Ovoj Zgradi Nikola Tesla 24 Svibnja 1892・Godine Kad Je . . . — Map (db m128937) HM
Croatia, City of Zagreb, Zagreb — Old City Hall
(Croatian:) Ovdje Je Do G. 1810. Stajala Stara Gradska Vijećnica. G. 1833. Položen Je Temelj Kazalištu I Redutnoj Dvorani. 7. I. 1835. Bila Je Prva Kazališna Predstava Na Je Prva Hrvatska Drama Juran I Sofija: Od Ivana Pl. . . . — Map (db m128964) HM
Croatia, Dubrovnik-Neretva (county), Dubrovnik — Fort Impérial - the Empire's FortFort Impérial - Carska tvrđava
Croatian: Izardena 1806.-1812. u urijeme francuske vlasti u Dubrovniku i posvećena Napoleonu I. Od 1815. do 1882. austrijska je vojska proširuje i nadograđuje. U Domovinskom rate, 1991.-1995., tvedava je postals simbol . . . — Map (db m126977) HM
Croatia, Dubrovnik-Neretva (county), Dubrovnik — Grad Dubrovnik
Croatian: PLAN GRADA S OBILJEŽENIM OŠTEĆENJIMA NASTALIM U AGRESIJI JUGOSLAVENSKE ARMIJE SRBA I CRNOGORACA NA DUBROVNIK 1991-1992 GODINE English: City map with the sites of damage caused by the . . . — Map (db m126979) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 8 — barokni Bedemirazvitak Grada
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (center) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128401) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 10 — Peristil i Kathedrala
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (center) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128443) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 11 — Sv. Dominik Srebrna Vrata(Silver Gate)
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (center) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128423) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 7 — vrata od PisturePalača
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (center) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128392) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 9 — Zlatna Vrata(Golden Gate)
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (center) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language , click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128387) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — Church of Our Lady of the Bell Tower and the municipal clockCrkva Gospe od Zvonika i gradski sat
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The little church built in the 6th century in the sentries' walkway above the Iron Gate of . . . — Map (db m128108) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — Diocletian's Mausoleum / Cathedral of St. DujamMauzolej - Katedrala
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The mausoleum of the Emperor Diocletian was built at the beginning of the 4th century, as one of . . . — Map (db m127356) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 2 — Dioklecijanova Palača(Diocletian's Palace) — Podrumi (Cellars)
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (center) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language , click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128230) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 5 — Hramovi(Temples)
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language , click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128213) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — Julius Nepos
Julius Nepos (C. 430-480) was a western emperor (474-480) during the last stage of the western Roman Empire he reigned. At first, over Italy and adjoining areas yet held by the western empire. As of 475, he had influence only over Dalmatia, having . . . — Map (db m127597) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — Jupiter Temple(Baptistery of St. John)
The Temple of Jupiter (Croatian: Jupiterov hram) is a temple dedicated to the Jupiter, Ancient Roman God of sky and thunder and king of the Gods. Temple is located in the western part of the Diocletian's palace near the Peristyle, the central square . . . — Map (db m127358) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 12 — Lazareti(Lazaretto)
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language , click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128215) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — Marko Marulić
Croatian: U ovoj se kući (prema predaji) 18. VII. 1450. rodio Marko Marulić prozom i u "versih harvacki slažući po običaju naših začinjavc" začetke udari hrvatskoj umjetničkoj . . . — Map (db m127596) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 6 — Pjaca(The Square)
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (center) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128390) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 3 — Riva(Seafront)
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language , click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128216) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Andrić House - The Vidović GalleryKuća Andrić - Galerija Vidović
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The three-storey building in Classicist style was designed for the building of the Classics High . . . — Map (db m128104) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Augubio PalacePalača Augubio
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. A Late Gothic palace of the wealthy merchant, later ennobled, Giovanni Battista De Gubbio of the . . . — Map (db m127599) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Cambi PalacePalača Cambi
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The Gothic palace of the old Split patrician family of Cambi was built in the first half of the . . . — Map (db m127414) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Church of St MartinCrkva sv. Martina
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. One of the first little churches in Diocletian's Palace, it was built in the 5th-6th century in . . . — Map (db m127415) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Church of St RocheCrkva sv. Roka
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The Church of St Roche with its Renaissance façade was created in 1516 through the conversion of . . . — Map (db m128101) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Ciprianis-Benedetti PalacePalača Ciprianis-Benedetti
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The palace was built in 1394 for the Split nobleman Cipriano de Ciprianis (C. Žaninić . . . — Map (db m127320) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Dragišić (De Caris) PalacePalača Dragišić (De Caris)
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. This is an originally Romanesque house of the 13th century, with Gothic and Renaissance . . . — Map (db m127417) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Golden Gate Palace
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. A Late Gothic palace of the second half of the 15th century, the design and execution of which . . . — Map (db m127416) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Grisogono Palace
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The medieval house of the old Split patrician family of Grisogono was constructed on the corner . . . — Map (db m128106) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Iron Gate Palace
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The remains of this Late Gothic palace of the mid-15th century, which suffered numerous . . . — Map (db m128112) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Karepić PalacePalača Karepić
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The Renaissance palace of the patrician family of Karepić, which moved from Trogir to . . . — Map (db m127361) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Large Papalić PalaceVelika Papalićeva palača
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The Late Gothic palace that was put up in the mid-15th century by the patrician Split . . . — Map (db m127590) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Marulić PalacePalaća Marulić
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. A Late Gothic palace of the second half of the 15th century in which, according to tradition, . . . — Map (db m127591) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Milesi PalacePalača Milesi
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. This palace in the Baroque style with the characteristic sequence of round openings for shops on . . . — Map (db m127374) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The One-time Convent of the Poor Clares of St. NicholasNedadašnji samostan klarisa sv. Nikole
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. A complex on the site of the one-time triclinium and the residential sector of Diocletian's . . . — Map (db m127322) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Pavlović PalacePalača Pavlović
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The Renaissance palace of an old Split patrician family of the 16th century. It was extended in . . . — Map (db m127413) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Sulphur SpaSumporne toplice
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. This building of 1903 designed by Kamilo Tončić is an important specimen, with its . . . — Map (db m127321) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Town Hall
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The old Gothic town hall is the only remaining building complex that was knocked down in 1825 . . . — Map (db m127371) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Franjevačka CrkvaThe Franciscan Church
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128541) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Franjevački Samostan
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), English (middle) and German (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128540) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Grad TekstilaCity of Textiles
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (left), German (center) and English (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128651) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Gradska VijećnicaThe City Hall
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128722) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Isusovački SamostanThe Jesuit Monastery
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128728) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Josip II. Habsturško-LotarinškaVisits of the Habsburgs to Varaždin
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (left), German (middle) and English (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128872) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Krinolina LjubaviCrinoline of Love
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (left), German (center) and English (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128601) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Kuća BakićBakić House
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128871) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Kuća JaccominiHouse Jaccomini
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128721) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Kuća RitzThe Ritz House
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128719) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Kula StražarnicaThe Watchtower
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), English (middle) and German (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128875) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Marija Terezüa Habsturško-LotarinškaVisits of the Habsburgs to Varaždin
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (left), German (middle) and English (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128648) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Palača DraškovićThe Drašković Palace
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128727) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Palača Patačić - BužanPatačić - Bužan Palace
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128873) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Palača SermageThe Sermage Palace
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128537) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Ratni spomenik iz 1915War memorial 1915
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (left), English (middle) and German (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128591) HM WM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Starí GradThe Old Town
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128908) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Uršulinska Crkva Rodenja IsusovogUrsluline Church of the Birth of Christ
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128538) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Uršulinski SamostanThe Ursuline Convent
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128539) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Varaždin - Stari gradOld Town - Die Alte Burg — Varaždin - The Old Castle
The text of this marker appears on the righthand side in three languages: Croatian (top), English (middle) and German (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge . . . — Map (db m128909) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — ŽitnicaThe Granary
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128874) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Županijska PalačaVaraždin County Palace
The text of this marker appear in five languages: Croatian, on top, followed by English, German, French and Italian. Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128596) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Munich — Cathedral Church of Our LadyUnserer Lieben Frau Dom und Pfarrkirche
. . . — Map (db m68750) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Munich — The Church of Saint MichaelSankt Michael
Sankt Michael Erbaut 1583 – 1597 im Auftrag Herzog Wilhelm V. von Friedrich Sustris German – English translation: The Church of Saint Michael Built 1583-1597 by Friedrich Sustris on behalf of Duke Wilhelm V. . . . — Map (db m68740) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Munich — The Wilhelminische or Old Academy BuildingDas Wilhelminische oder Alte Akademie Gebäude
This marker is composed of two main panels. Additionally, there is a small historical building marker nearby. (panel 1) Das Wilhelminische oder Alte Akademie-Gebäude Den ältesten an die St. Michaelskirche stossenden Teil dieses . . . — Map (db m68752) HM
Italy, South Tyrol, Bolzano — Cathedral (Parish Church of Our Lady of the Assumption)Duomo (Chiesa parrocchiale di S. Maria Assunta) — Dom (Stadtpfarrkirche Maria Himmelfahrt)
The text of this marker is in three languages; Italian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Chiesa parrocchiale di impianto romanico eretta nei secoli XIII e XIV sul luogo di una basilica paleocristiana (V-VI sec.) e di una chiesa . . . — Map (db m68736) HM
Italy, South Tyrol, Bolzano — Dominican Church and MonasteryChiesa e Convento dei Domenicani — Kirche und Kloster der Dominikaner
The text of this marker is in three languages; Italian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Complesso conventuale de Domenicani, documentati a Bolzano dal 1272, profondamente modificato dopo la secolarizzazione nel 1785. La chiesa . . . — Map (db m68730) HM
Italy, South Tyrol, Bolzano — First World War Military Hospital
Questo edificio, già convento dei padri Domenicani dal 1276 al 1790, venne adibito durante la prima guerra mondaile ad imperial-regio ospedale militare. Il Capitano Medico Dr. Lorenz Böhler, VI fondo nell’agosto del 1916 la moderna traumatologia. . . . — Map (db m68733) HM
Italy, South Tyrol, Bolzano — Franciscan MonasteryChiesa e Convento dei Francescani — Kirche und Kloster der Franziskaner
The text of this marker is in three languages; Italian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Complesso conventuale dei Francescani, documenti a Bolzano dal 1237, sorto su un terreno del Vescovo di Bressanone attorno all’antica . . . — Map (db m68727) HM
Italy, South Tyrol, Bolzano — Mercantile PalacePalazzo Mercantile — Merkantilgebäude
The text of this marker is in three languages; Italian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Antica sede del Magistrato Mercantile, organo giurisdizionale dell’atività fieristica di Bolzano intituito nel 1635 dall’arciduchessa . . . — Map (db m68724) HM
Italy, South Tyrol, Bolzano — Neptune’s FountainFontana del Nettuno — Neptun-Brummen
The text of this marker is in three languages; Italian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Fusione in bronzo di Joachim Reiss, su modello dello scultore Georg Mayr. Collacata nel 1777 sul luogo dell’antica berlina, veniva . . . — Map (db m68726) HM
Italy, South Tyrol, Bolzano — Residence of the Troilo FamilyResidenza Troilo — Troyburg
The text of this marker is in three languages; Italian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Edificio di impianto tardo-medievale amplliato nel tardo Cinquecento, originaria dimora dell’omonima famiglia di mercanti roveretani. . . . — Map (db m68725) HM
Italy, South Tyrol, Bolzano — The Church of the Sacred Heart of JesusChiesa del Sacro Cuore — Herz-Jesu-Kirche
The text of this marker is in three languages; Italian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Chiesa neoromanica a tre navate (1897-1899), construita assieme all’annesso convento su progetto dell’architetto J. Bittner in occasione . . . — Map (db m68729) HM
Italy, South Tyrol, Kastelruth — Josef Riehl
. . . — Map (db m69173) HM
Italy, South Tyrol, Ortisei — Ortisei War Memorial
This marker is in three languages; Ladin, the local language of South Tyrol, German and Italian. (Ladin) La capela di turnei foya unida fata su do la Prima Gran Viera sciche luech de lecort per i 96 saudeies dla pluania de Urtijëi turnei . . . — Map (db m69172) HM WM
Montenegro, Kotor Municipality, Kotor — Battle of Lepanto
U SPOMEN BROJNIM HRABRIM POMORCIMA BOKE POGINULIM U BICI KOD LEPANTA 7. X 1571 GODINE NA GALIJI "SAN TRIFONE DI CATTARO" POD ZAPOVJEDNIŠTVOM JERONIMA BISANTIJA I PERAŠKIM ČUVARIMA DŽAVNE ZASTAVE KOJI SU SVOJIM ŽIVOTIMA DOPINJELI POBJEDI FLOTE . . . — Map (db m126766) HM WM
Turkey, Aksaray Province (Aksaray (district)), Sultanhani — Aksaray - Sultanhani Caravanserai (1229)Aksaray - Sultanhanı Kervansarayı (1229)
English: Situated on Konya - Aksaray highway, Sultanhanı is the largest and best caravanserai of the seljuks. It was built by Alaattin Keykubat 1. in 1229. After a fire, it was restored and extended in 1278 by the governor Siracettin . . . — Map (db m84169) HM
Turkey, Antalya Province (Aksu (district)), Aksu — Macellum / Agora
English: The building complex that measures 75 x 75 m includes a central area limited by porticoes and shops. The macellum has an entrance on all four sides. The shops on the north and west face alternately the macellum or the street . . . — Map (db m84207) HM
Turkey, Antalya Province (Aksu (district)), Aksu — Perge
English: The earliest archaeological finds at Perge, a very important city in the region of Pamphylia, date from the end of the fifth millennium B.C. and come from the acropolis. These are followed by uninterrupted layers of habitation . . . — Map (db m84210) HM
Turkey, Antalya Province (Aksu (district)), Aksu — Perge
The first dig at Perge had been made by Ord.Prof.Dr.Arlf Müfit Mansel and his team under his leadership in the year of 1946. Between the years of 1975-1986, the digs were made under the leadership of Prof.Dr.Jale Inan. During the digs the remains of . . . — Map (db m84215) HM
Turkey, Antalya Province (Aksu (district)), Aksu — Roman DoorRoma Kapısı
English: There are four doors opening into four directions on the walls of the ancient city of Perge. However, in the south, there are two doors which were made at Hellenistic and Roman periods and there is a courtyard of 72.2m between two . . . — Map (db m84209) HM
Turkey, Antalya Province (Aksu (district)), Aksu — Southern BathsGüney Hamami — Süd-Therme
English: The complex, one of the best preserved buildings in Perge, is noteworthy because of its size and monumentality when compared with its counterparts in Pamphylia. Rooms that served different functions like the dressing room . . . — Map (db m84208) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — 1890 Seawall
This plaque marks the location of an 1890 seawall on the Alameda shoreline. Behind you are the stairs where bathers went down to the beach. The wall was built by architect Joseph A. Leonard, who constructed many homes here during the 1890s. . . . — Map (db m62215) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — Alameda City Hall
This city hall is one of oldest operating city hall buildings in the State of California. It was constructed in 1895 in the Romanesque style and has been in continual use as a city hall since its completion. Original construction: Building cost . . . — Map (db m62216) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — 1 — Alameda City Hall, 1895-96
Original tower removed in phases after the 1906 earthquake. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Architect: Percy & Hamilton. — Map (db m79876) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — Alameda Lodge No. 1015
Alameda Lodge No. 1015 of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks was formed by 25 Alameda residents who were members of Oakland Lodge No. 171. The Lodge was instituted on March 17, 1906 and it received its charter from the Grand Lodge on July . . . — Map (db m79864) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — Alameda’s First ChurchFounded Sept. 11, 1853
as Methodist Episcopal by Rev. James McGowan In 1854 the first church building was erected on land donated Bishop William Taylor and dedicated by Bishop Matthew Simpson - the first appointed minister was Rev. David Deal, 1854-56. . . . — Map (db m79863) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — First Presbyterian Church
Organization of the First Presbyterian Church of Alameda began in 1864. By 1865, the church had 12 charter members. Traveling ministers delivered Sunday sermons until 1867 when Reverend Nash was installed as the first pastor. The first sanctuary . . . — Map (db m62217) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — 3 — Historic Alameda High School
Architect; Carl Werner Builder: Cochran Boehm, Inc. Superintendent of Schools: W.G. Paden Original Cost: 1,125,000 The historic Alameda High School was dedicated on 18 August 1925, and provided for the first time a modern high school . . . — Map (db m79875) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — 26 — Meyers House
The Meyers House was erected in 1897. This Colonial Revival style home was designed by and built for prominent East Bay architect Henry H. Meyers. It served as the family residence from 1897 to 1993. Meyers designed the Posey Tunnel Portals, Twin . . . — Map (db m79862) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — Prehistoric Indian Mound
One thousand feet due west was a prehistoric mound, 400 feet long, 150 feet wide, and 14 feet high. The remains of 450 Indians with stone implements and shell ornaments were found when the mound was remove in 1908. — Map (db m79861) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — “A People’s History of Telegraph Avenue”
Mural designed by Osha Newmann, painted with O’Brien Thiele, Janet Kranzberg, Daniel Galvez and many others Painted in 1976 Restored and enlarged in 1999 City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1990 The mural on this wall was painted . . . — Map (db m54696) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Allenoke ManorCoxhead and Coxhead, Architects — 1903
City of Berkeley Landmarks designated in 1986 Allenoke is the only large estate remaining near the northern edge of the University of California campus. It was designed by Ernest Coxhead for Allen Freeman, President of the Bank of Oakland. . . . — Map (db m53888) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — American Photoplayer Co.Cooper Woodworking Buildings — 1912-1920
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1986 Over the years this complex housed Cooper Woodworking, the Sperry Flour Company, the American Photoplayer Company, and other industrial and manufacturing enterprises. American Photoplayer manufactured . . . — Map (db m53818) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Annie and Bernard Maybeck HouseBernard Maybeck, Architect — 1933
City of Berkeley Landmarks designated in 1990 In 1901 architect Bernard Maybeck purchased ten acres of land here in La Loma Park. He built a sprawling brown shingle home for his family down the street in 1909 and subdivided the rest of his land . . . — Map (db m53862) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Armstrong College BuildingWalter H. Ratcliff, Architect — 1923
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1994 “To Inculcate the Highest Standards and Ideals in Business.” That lofty aim, incised high on the façade of this graceful Spanish Colonial building, guided Armstrong College for more . . . — Map (db m54513) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — "Our Road Was Very Steep..."
"... we found a gap in the bluffs of Boise valley, where we turned down and succeeded in reaching the valley in safety, although our road was very steep and stony, and long..." -- P.V. Crawford, 1851 P.V. Crawford may have written . . . — Map (db m125856) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Anduiza Hotel and Fronton619 Grove Street
The play was intense and furious: men smacking a leather-covered ball with their hands, or whipping their paddles, or palas, through the air. The sport, pelota, was brought to Idaho by early Basque immigrants. Juan and Juana Anduiza . . . — Map (db m119131) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Anduiza Hotel and Fronton
This unique building was built for Juan Cruz Anduiza in 1912 as a boarding house for Basque sheepherders who wintered in Boise. The rooms were across the front and down the side of the building and the kitchen, dining room, etc. wee in the basement. . . . — Map (db m119133) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Bar GernikaBasque Pub & Eatery — 202 S. Capitol Blvd.
The clinking of glasses, the clang of silverware, good conversation and enjoyable times have long been a part of this corner. Food and drink are especially important to the Basques, drawing people together in this highly social culture. Constructed . . . — Map (db m119127) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Basque Museum and Cultural Center611 Grove Street
Far from their homeland, the temperate, verdant. Euskadi, away from their lively communal life of feast days and dancing, of pelota games and good wind, Basques in Idaho found themselves in an arid land where few spoke the native tongue. Many . . . — Map (db m119130) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Bonneville PointThe Oregon Trail
From the high ridge above the Boise River 5 miles southwest of here, westward-bound travelers got their first view of the Boise Valley. In 1811, Wilson Price Hunt and the Overland Astorians' party were the first white sojourners to enjoy the scene. . . . — Map (db m119002) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Cyrus Jacobs/Uberuaga House607 Grove Street
The Cyrus Jacobs home, built in 1864, is the oldest surviving brick dwelling in Boise. Jacobs, a prominent merchant and mayor of Boise, lived here for almost 40 years. Beginning in 1910, it became the residence of Basque families - first, the . . . — Map (db m119186) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Davis Orchard
Julia Davis Park was donated to the City of Bosie by the area's first homesteader, Thomas Jefferson Davis. He arrived in Boise in the spring of 1863, and his claim was the first to be filed in Idaho Territory. The claim was for 320 acres, most of . . . — Map (db m125827) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Diversion Dam
In the late 1800s, Idaho Territory needed to attract homesteaders to farm the Boise Valley. At the time, the area was dry sagebrush desert. A young engineer, Arthur Foote, designed a great canal system that was to allow the Boise River to irrigate . . . — Map (db m119027) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Ezra MeekerThe Oregon Trail
In 1906, at the age of seventy-five, Ezra Meeker began a journey east from his home in Puyallup, Washington, to retrace the route of the Oregon Trail over which he originally traveled in 1852 with his wife and young son. He traveled the route with a . . . — Map (db m118993) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Fort BoiseThe Oregon Trail
Concern for the safety of westward-bound emigrants became more immediate when news of the Utter party's disastrous confrontation with hostile Indians on September 9 and 10, 1860, reached western settlements. Colonel George Wright, commander of the . . . — Map (db m119004) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Grove Street Warehouse608/610/612 Grove Street
Imagine leafy Lombary poplars, dazzling rose bushes, lush gardens, circular walks, stately homes, and huge churning waterwheels along a wide avenue, and you'll get a picture of early days on Grove Street. The profusion of leaves and petals was . . . — Map (db m119189) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Heath Building176 S. Capitol Blvd.
The thread of several cultures, wrapped around a mystery, winds its way through this site. Originally, a log cabin stood here, occupied in the early 1860s by a Boise sheriff. Later, a house was built on the site and deeded by the mayor to Dr. . . . — Map (db m119126) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Idaho's Emigrant TrailsThe Oregon Trail
Westward-bound emigrants entered Idaho after crossing Thomas Fork Valley. They soon encountered the climb and descent of Big Hill, witnessed nature's curiosities at Soda Springs, and discovered willing traders at Fort Hall. In 1843 wagons . . . — Map (db m118992) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Kelton RoadThe Oregon Trail
After the transcontinental railroad was completed on May 10, 1869, new stage and freight routes were established to connect southwester Idaho with newly established railheads. Kelton, Utah, soon became the main shipping point for Boise, when John . . . — Map (db m118996) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — 156 — L.D.S. Pioneers of Boise
Soon after the discovery of Gold in Northern Idaho (1862) the City of Boise was founded (1863). Its first people were the U.S. Cavalry, Merchants, Mining and Stockmen. Although a few Mormons from Utah had previously lived in this valley, it was not . . . — Map (db m125829) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Laiak(LIE-yak) A traditional Basque tool used for turning the soil
(English:) For centuries, Basques have used the "laiak" to prepare the earth for planting. This photo, from the early 1900s, shows Basque women poised for work. From its stone base to its seven flying ribbons, the sculpture embraces . . . — Map (db m119128) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — McClelland (sic) Ferry
Near this spot the McClelland (sic) Ferry Crossed the river in 1864. — Map (db m119202) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Old Oregon Trail
Along this historic trail, from 1841 to 1861, traveled the greatest land migration in history. Nearly half a million pioneers came to settle America's Northwest. One out of every eight would perish along the way. — Map (db m125859) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Old Oregon Trail - West Boise
Between 1843 and 1869 over 300,000 emigrants fulfilled Americas's Manifest Destiny by voluntarily relocating to Oregon and California. Their nearly 2,000 mile journey along game trails long used by the early Native Americans would become known as . . . — Map (db m119239) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — 10 — Site 10 ★ Blacks Creek Road Crossing
Wednesday September 15th "Today we traveled up a long hill some 4 miles. Road good, ascent very gradual. When we arrived at the top we got a grand view of the Boise River Valley. It is all filled or covered with dry grass and a few trees . . . — Map (db m125787) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — The Basque Center601 Grove Street
A place to call out the name of an old friend, play the card game “mus,” sit down to a meal, or dance to the music of the accordion and the txistu, the melodic Basque flute. All communities need somewhere to meet, and this is one . . . — Map (db m119187) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — 1 — The Boise Gallery of Art - 1937Boise Art Museum — Did You Know?
Since opening in 1937, this building has been the center of Boise's art community. In 1933, with financing from the federal Public Works Administration (PWA), the City of Boise broke ground for construction of the new Boise Gallery of Art. . . . — Map (db m119194) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — The Chico Club
“One of the fine new buildings in Boise,” heralded the Idaho Statesman newspaper in 1935, when the Belaustegui Hotel & Basque Boarding House was constructed by Augustin and Petra Belaustegui. A few years later, part of the hotel . . . — Map (db m119188) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — The Foote Legacy in Idaho
The Canyon House was located across the Boise River from where you are standing. The house was designed and built by Arthur De Wint Foote in 1885, using funds from literary works by his wife, Mary Hallock Foote. As Chief Engineer for the Idaho . . . — Map (db m119029) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — 3 — The Log Cabin1940 — Did You Know?
This log cabin is built of native Idaho woods, and each room inside is paneled is a different species. Originally known as Chateau de Bois. this cabin was erected in 1940 to house the state forester. Built by the Civilian . . . — Map (db m119193) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — The Story of Julia & Tom Davis
Few things in Boise compare with the quiet charm of Julia Davis Park. Edging the north bank of the Boise River downstream from Broadway Ave. to just beyond Capitol Blvd., this emerald jewel is the setting for the city's major cultural institutions: . . . — Map (db m125828) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — 2 — The WPA (Works Project Administration)1935-1943 — Did You Know?
Created in May 1935 by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, the WPA was the largest of his New Deal relief programs... The WPA created jobs and provided income to many Idahoans during the Great Depression. The program funded thousands of . . . — Map (db m119200) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — 16 — Tom and Julia Davis Homesite — Did You Know?
On this very site stood the home of Boise pioneers Tom and Julia Davis. In 1889, the Davis family built this fashionable Victorian home on a section of their homestead extending from Front Street to the Boise River. This handsome . . . — Map (db m119190) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Wheels of Change
"When we first came in sight of Boise City and valley we were upon a hill seven miles distant." -- Julius Caesar Merrill, 1864 Creaking, groaning wheels, the dust so thick that the hunch-back oxen ahead looked more like tawny . . . — Map (db m125861) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Whitman Overlook
(Three Panels are found at this overlook:) "The River Boise..." "Descending some steep hills we came down on the river 'Boisee,' which deserved its appellation from the dense fringes of cottonwood and willow trees that . . . — Map (db m125862) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Wilson Price Hunt Expedition
In Memory of Wilson Price Hunt Expedition First Whites to visit Boise Valley 1811 — Map (db m119203) HM
Idaho (Adams County), New Meadows — Packer John's Cabin
One fourth mile north. Built 1862 First Democratic Territorial Convention held in Cabin Fall of 1863 — Map (db m119372) HM

5893 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 5693
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.