Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

981 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 781
 
The Old Windmill and Reservoirs Marker image, Touch for more information
By Allen C. Browne, August 24, 2007
The Old Windmill and Reservoirs Marker
Australia, Queensland, Brisbane — The Old Windmill and Reservoirs
The oldest surviving building in Queensland, the Windmill, was constructed by convicts in 1828 to grind flour and maize meal as food for the Moreton Bay Penal Settlement. A stone and brick building, it contained two pair of mill stones - one pair . . . — Map (db m100365) HM
Illinois (Clark County), Marshall — Marshall Illinois — 1835     1935
To Commemorate The Hundredth Anniversary of Marshall, Illinois Founded by William B. Archer and to Honor George Rogers Clark For whom the county was named placed by The Walter Burdick Chapter Daughters of the . . . — Map (db m104797) HM
Illinois (Clark County), Marshall — Old Stone Arch Bridge
This Bridge was completed by Army Engineers sometime between 1834 and 1837 as part of the Old National Road, between Cumberland, Maryland and Vandalia, Illinois, was authorized by the enabling act of 1803 and was the Nation's first federally . . . — Map (db m71127) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — 333 North Michigan Building — Holabird & Root, Architect 1928 — Chicago Landmark
This outstanding Art Deco-style skyscraper helps define one of the city's finest urban spaces. Its prominence is further heightened by the jog in Michigan Avenue, where it crosses the Chicago River. The base of the building is sheathed in polished . . . — Map (db m99920) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Catherine and Jean-Baptiste Point du Sable — Fur traders and farmers — Chicago Tribute
Considered the founders of Chicago, Catherine (1756 - 1809) and Jean Baptiste (1745 - 1818) Point du Sable established a fur trading post on this site in the 1770s or early 1780s, approximately a half century before Chicago was incorporated. This . . . — Map (db m99739) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Central Station Fragments
These carved granite fragments are from the Illinois Central Station which stood at the southwest edge of Grant Park for more than 75 years. Bradford Lee Gilbert, a prolific architect of American railroad buildings, designed the massive Romanesque . . . — Map (db m99761) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Crane Company Building — Built 1913
This Property has been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m99757) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Fairbanks Morse & Company Building
Fairbanks Morse & Company Building Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of Interior Built 1906 — Map (db m99883) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — George Pullman — Industrialist 1831-1897 — Chicago Tribute
George Pullman established his reputation in Chicago in 1859 by inventing a way to raise buildings to the new street level required for installation of a sewer system. In 1863, he began converting railroad passenger cars into luxury sleeping . . . — Map (db m99944) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Harold Washington — 1924-1987 — Mayor Of The C1ty Of Chicago
Harold Washington was elected Chicago's first African American Mayor on April 21 1983 He brought together a coalition of Chicagoans that spanned economic, social and racial lines. Of his legacy, he said: I hope someday to be remembered by . . . — Map (db m99684) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Hotel Somerset
Hotel Somerset Built 1889 This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m99908) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Jane Addams' Hull House
Jane Addams' Hull House has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history . . . — Map (db m99710) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Jane Addams' Hull-House and Dining Hall — Settlement active from 1889 to 1963
Here, in 1899, Jane Addams and Ellen Gates Starr started what became the most influential social settlement in America. It eventually consisted of several buildings around this house which had been built in 1856 by Charles Hull. The Dining Hall and . . . — Map (db m61819) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Jean-Baptiste Pointe DuSable — 1745-1818 — Founder of Chicago
African-Caribbean, born in St.Marc, Haiti In the 1770's he opened the first trading post, beside the Chicago River, establishing the settlement that became Chicago. The DuSable homestead was located near this site. This monument was . . . — Map (db m79428) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — John A. Logan
Born in Illinois February IX MDCCCMDXXVI [February 9, 1826]. Died in Washington Dec XXVI MDCCCLXXXVI [Dec. 26, 1886] while senator of the United States from Illinois . Erected by the State of Illinois, in honor of General John A Logan — Map (db m100606) WM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Louis Jolliet & Pθre Jacques Marquette
In Honor of Louis Jolliet & Pθre Jacques Marquette The First White Men to Pass Through the Chicago River September 1673 This Tablet is placed by the Illinois Society of the Colonial Dames of America Under the auspices of the Chicago . . . — Map (db m99733) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Nicholaus Copernicus — Mikołai Kopernik - — 1473-1543
By reforming astronomy he initiated modern science Mikołai Kopernik Nicolaus Copernicus Polish Astronomer 1473-1543 Erected in 1973 by the Copernicus Foundation and the Polish American Congress to Commemorate the 500th . . . — Map (db m101264) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Old Fort Dearborn
Here • Stood Old • Fort • Dearborn 1803 – 1812 — Map (db m79616) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Paul Muni — Actor 1895-1967
Paul Muni, “the man with a thousand faces,” was one of Hollywood's finest character actors. Yet he performed in more than 300 Yiddish-speaking roles before uttering a single word in English on Broadway. Born Muni Weisenfreund, the . . . — Map (db m99911) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Regeneration
The Great Chicago Fire in October eighteen hundred and seventy-one devastated the city. From its ashes the people of Chicago caused a new and greater city to rise imbued with that indomitable spirit and energy by which they have ever been guided. . . . — Map (db m79609) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — St. Patrick's Church
This property has been placed on the the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior St. Patrick's Churchconstructed during the period 1852 to 1856 St. Patrick's is the oldest church building . . . — Map (db m99770) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — The Discoverers
Jolliet, Father Marquette, La Salle and Tonti will live in American history as fearless explorers who made their way through the great lakes and across this watershed to the Mississippi in the late seventeenth century and typify the spirit of brave . . . — Map (db m99369) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — The Morton Building / Hotel Blake
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of The Interior — Map (db m102576) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — The Pioneers
John Kinzie, fur trader, settled near this spot in the early years of the nineteenth century. One of a band of courageous pioneers — who with their lives at stake — struggled through the wilderness, breaking soil for the seeds of a . . . — Map (db m99401) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — The Sisters of Mercy
On this site, Sept. 23, 1846, the Sisters of Mercy who provided Chicago with its first hospital, began their charitable, educational and civic services to this city — Map (db m99817) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Visionary — Jane Addams
Social Philosopher Jane Addams envisioned a peaceful world community based on cooperation, mutual understanding, and acceptance of differences. Pragmatist She advocated the participation of all citizens n the creation of a just and . . . — Map (db m99945) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Annapolis Laboratory — 1903 - 1999
In this year, 1999, a 96-year tradition of technical excellence, personal achievement , and dedication to our Navy comes to a close. The legacy of this Laboratory will live on well into the next millennium. It is embodied in the people who worked . . . — Map (db m65867) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 6 — Chase-Lloyd House — The Naval War of 1812 in Annapolis — Don't Give Up the Ship
Patriot politician and future Declaration of Independence signer Samuel Chase began building this Georgian mansion in 1769, but he couldn't afford to finish the house and sold it two years later to Edward Lloyd IV. The wealthy Eastern Shore planter . . . — Map (db m63497) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Dedicated to you, a free citizen in a free land
This reproduction of the Liberty Bell was presented to Maryland by direction of The Honorable John Snyder Secretary of the Treasury as the inspirational symbol of the United States savings bonds independence drive from May 15 to July 4 . . . — Map (db m63419) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — For Civilization Liberty Country — 1920
Erected by the Alumni of St. John's College to their fellow Alumni who in the World War gave their all. Four hundred & fifty two of our men answered their country's call. There is no records that one failed in his duty. The list of names: A. . . . — Map (db m65902) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Fort Nonsense
Fort Nonsense has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior. It is the last remaining fortification of several constructed in the 18th and 19th centuries to defend Annapolis and its waterways. . . . — Map (db m63588) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 5 — HMS Confiance Cannon — The Naval War of 1812 in Annapolis — Don't Give Up the Ship
This gun tube was removed from the British flagship, the HMS Confiance, during the Battle of Lake Champlain with was fought on September 11, 1814. Early in that battle a cannon ball fired by the American flagship Saratoga struck the . . . — Map (db m69246) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 2 — HMS Macedonian Monument — The Naval War of 1812 — Don't Give Up The Ship
Figurehead of HMS Macedonian. The classical head represents Alexander, the Macedonian who ruled Greece and much of the known world in the 4th century BC. It was carved in wood in 1810 to decorate the bow of the British warship named . . . — Map (db m63428) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — In Honor of Albert Abraham Michelson — 1852 - 1931
Class of 1873. While Instructor at the Naval Academy in 11879 made first accurate measurement of speed of light. Invented interferometer. First American scientist to receive Nobel Prize, for physics in 1907. Performed with Morley ether drift . . . — Map (db m66015) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Japanese Ambassador Hirosi Saito
In memory of Japanese Ambassador Hirosi Saito who died in Washington on Jan 26, 1939 & whose remains were by order of President Franklin D Roosevelt conveyed on board the USS Astoria to his native land. In grateful appreciation of American . . . — Map (db m70122) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 4 — Joseph Nicholson Home Site and Bandstand — The Naval War of 1812 in Annapolis — Don't Give Up The Ship
In 1814 when Francis Scott Key wrote the words to the poem "The Defense of Fort McHenry," his wife's sister and brother-in-law lived in a house on this site. The poem quickly became famous when it was set to music and re-titled "The . . . — Map (db m63433) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 1 — Mahan Hall — The Naval War of 1812 in Annapolis — Don't Give Up the Ship!
U.S. Navy Trophy Flag Collection Congress in 1814 legislated that all flags captured from an enemy in war by the U.S. Navy would be preserved and sent to Washington. By order of the President this collection was relocated to the Naval Academy . . . — Map (db m63563) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Mahan Hall
Mahan Hall ------ Named in honor of Rear Admiral Alfred Thayer Mahan USN 1840-1914 U.S. Naval Academy Class of 1859 President U.S. Naval War College — Map (db m63567) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 9 — Maryland State House — The Naval War of 1812 in Annapolis — Don't Give Up the Ship!
The seat of Maryland government, the State House was at the center of the state's planning for the War of 1812, both locally and in coordination with President Madison's administration in Washington, D.C. Near constant fear of invasion by the . . . — Map (db m63499) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Naval School
Naval School Founded October 10th 1845. James K. Polk. President of the United States. Geo. Bancroft Secretary of the Navy. — Map (db m63572) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — On this spot — The Star Spangled Banner
On this spot, where the inspiring strains of the Star Spangled Banner are heard each morning, formerly stood the home of Judge Joseph Hopper Nicholson, Brother-in-law of Francis Scott Key, to whom Key gave the original manuscript and who set the . . . — Map (db m63431) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Peggy Stewart House
Peggy Stewart House Has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses National Significance In commemorating the History of the United States of America 1974 National Park Service United States Department of . . . — Map (db m70123) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 7 — St. John's College — The Naval War of 1812 in Annapolis — Don't Give Up the Ship
St. John's College has a long, rich history dating back to the founding of our nation. Its earliest incarnation, a grammar or preparatory school named after King William III, was founded in Annapolis in 1696, one year after Maryland's capital was . . . — Map (db m63410) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The English Frigate “Augusta” — Sixty Four Guns
was destroyed an sunk in the Delaware River by Col. Smith's American Battery October 23rd, A.D. 1777 ——……… —— This Cannon is one of the sixty four. — Map (db m100649) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Government House
The Government House State of Maryland Governor's Residence — Map (db m63463) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Markers on the Plaza — Michelson and the Speed of Light
The Markers on the Plaza paving follow the line of sight for the optical experiments measuring the speed of light carried out by Ensign Albert A. Michelson, USN between 1877 and 1879 while serving as instructor of physics at the United States Naval . . . — Map (db m66014) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Tripoli Monument
The oldest military monument in the United States honors heroes of the War against the Barbary Coast Pirates, the new republic's first war. In 1804, President Jefferson ordered the nation's tiny naval force to the Mediterranean to protect the . . . — Map (db m100660) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Tripoli Monument
To the memory of Somers, Caldwell, Decatur, Wadsworth, Dorsey, Israel. The love of Glory inspired them, Fame has crowned their deeds, History records the event. The Children of Columbia admire and Commerce laments their fall. Erected in the . . . — Map (db m100661) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 3 — U.S. Naval Academy Museum — The Naval War of 1812 — Don't Give Up The Ship
Founded as the Naval School Lyceum in 1845, this is among the nation's oldest museums. It contains two full floors of exhibitions. There is extensive coverage on the War of 1812 on the first floor to the left. Inside, too, is the original signal . . . — Map (db m63851) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Churchton — Site of First Quaker Regional Gathering
Site of First Quaker Regional Gathering In Maryland By George Fox in 1672 Ann of Arundell Chapter, MD. National Society of Colonial Dames XVII Century 1999 — Map (db m65888) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 1017 - 1021 East Baltimore Street
This structure,built around 1808, was home to the Colvin family for several generations. In 1874 it served temporarily as the Hebrew Orphan Asylum, whose original building had burned. The Presbyterian Eye, Ear and Throat Charity Hospital opened here . . . — Map (db m61897) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 1029 East Baltimore Street
The building's on the south side of this block have changed dramatically to meet the needs of an ever-changing city. First built a private homes, since the late 19th century they have housed community institution devoted to the spiritual, cultural, . . . — Map (db m97356) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A Pivotal Battle
British ships launched an attack on Fort McHenry early on September 13, 1814. The fort defended the water approach to the city of Baltimore. The future of the city and possibly the United States depended on the outcome. After the American defeat at . . . — Map (db m61551) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A Star Spangled Centennial
The Francis Scott Key Tablet above was dedicated as part of the National Star Spangled Banner Centennial celebration in 1914. Designed by Hans Schuler, the bronze shield depicts and American flag and myrtle (symbolic of love and immortality) . . . — Map (db m60400) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Allegiance by Force
"if there should be an uprising in Baltimore, I shall be compelled to try to put it down; and that gun is the first I shall fire." -- Major General John Dix, U.S. Army,1861 At the beginning of the Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln . . . — Map (db m66636) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Among the Illustrious Men
Among The Illustrious Men interred within this enclosure who assisted in the achievement of National Independence are the Following ─── ─── ─── In the Revolution and the War . . . — Map (db m88377) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Army "Sailors," Navy "Soldiers" — "Not a man shrunk from conflict" Major George Armistead, Commander Fort McHenry September 1814
The defenders who manned the heavy cannons in front of you represented a unique combination of soldiers and sailors. One unit, the U.S. Sea Fencibles, included civilian sailors. Wearing the clothing of their trade, they were issued muskets, drilled . . . — Map (db m61147) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Cast-Iron Faηade
The front of the Morton K. Blaustein City Life Exhibition Center is a unique example of recycling. The five cast-iron bays fronted a building at 218-226 S. Charles Street before it was demolished in 1976 to make way for Baltimore's Convention . . . — Map (db m97333) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Cecilius Calvert — 1606   1675 — Fovnder of Maryland
Cecilivs Calvert Baron Baltimore of Baltimore in the Kingdom of Ireland•Absolvte Lord and Proprietary of the Provinces of Maryland and Avalon in America•Who on November 13, 1633 with the co-operation and assent of the first Colonists, proclaimed in . . . — Map (db m89251) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Charles Center & One Charles Center
The 14-block Charles Center project, begun in 1958, was the first piece of Baltimore's nationally recognized downtown Renaissance. the 33-acre project was strategically placed between the financial district on the east side and the retail district . . . — Map (db m88236) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Civil War Magazine
Larger cannon -- and more cannon -- came to Fort McHenry during the Civil War period. To provide safe storage for the additional gunpowder and ammunition, the Army built this magazine in 1864. From the inside it doesn't look especially strong, . . . — Map (db m66644) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Discover Baltimore: The Monumental City — Heritage Walk
The Battle Monument was America's first public war memorial and the first since antiquity to honor the common soldier. Designed by Maximilian Godefroy, its construction began in 1815, shortly after the event it commemorates: in 1814, after the . . . — Map (db m89395) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Entering Fort McHenry ... A Deadly Crossfire
You are standing in the most vulnerable point of Fort McHenry, and potentially the most deadly. The main entrance was the weakest part of the fort's walls. Fearing a British land attack, the defenders built the Ravelin (the structure to your right) . . . — Map (db m66509) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Expanding the American Intellect: Icons and Iconoclasts — Mount Vernon Cultural Walk
“My library,” Enoch Pratt said, “shall be for all, rich and poor without distinction of race or color, who, when properly accredited, can take out the books if they will handle them carefully and return them.” In 1886, with . . . — Map (db m88270) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Flag House — 1793-1957
. . . — Map (db m97401) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Home of Edward Johnson — Mayor of Baltimore 1808-1814 and 1822
• Mayor in 1812 when the city prepared for war with the British. Known as “Baltimore's War”, Johnson headed the Committee of Vigilance and Safety and rallied Baltimore's citizens for battle. • The mayor was nearly killed while . . . — Map (db m97280) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — In Full Glory Reflected
9:00 a.m., September 14, 1814 The bombardment has ended; the battle is over. As the rain clouds pass and the rays of the sun shine on the fort, the garrison, tired and relieved, stands upon the parade ground. All eyes stare at the large 30 x . . . — Map (db m60567) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — J. Howard Payne (1887-1960) House — Historic Marble Hill
A prominent and distinguished Baltimore African-American attorney, real estate broker, and politician. He was educated in Baltimore City public schools and graduated from Howard University Law School. As a friend of James Cardinal Gibbons, he . . . — Map (db m89570) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Lloyd Street Synagogue — Historic Baltimore
. . . — Map (db m98100) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mayor Thomas D'Alesandro, Jr.
In Honor of Mayor Thomas D'Alesandro, Jr. Under the whose Leadership The Charles Center Project Was undertaken 1958 by his friends and The Citizens of Baltimore. — Map (db m88296) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — O'er the Ramparts We Watch! — Which Flag Flies Today?
The forts walls are called ramparts. An American flag flies over Fort McHenry twenty four hours a day by Presidential Proclamation. The size of the flag varies. On clear days with the right amount of wind, a full-size replica of the . . . — Map (db m61434) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Old East Baltimore — From Country Estates to City Living
Old East Baltimore historic district is significant for its association with the history of immigration in Baltimore, its intact rowhouses and religious structures representing a range of architectural styles from the 1840s through the early 1900s, . . . — Map (db m78604) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — On to Yorktown — Washington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route Historic Tail — Road to Victory
Coming from their camp at White Marsh in the early afternoon of Wednesday, 12 September 1781, the First Brigade of French forces, consisting of the infantry regiments Bourbonnais and Royal Deux-Ponts marched into Baltimore on Pulaski Highway [US . . . — Map (db m97308) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Orpheus... Hero of Music and Poetry
In 1916 the Fine Arts Commission sponsored a national competition for a statue to honor Francis Scott Key and the defenders who protected Baltimore during the War of 1812. It chose "Orpheus" by Charles Niehaus.

America's involvement in World . . . — Map (db m60452) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Overlea Waiting Station
The first streetcar service to Overlea began on July 14, 1903. Overlea and many other Baltimore suburbs developed when streetcar lines were extended from downtown. These lines allowed workers to live away from the noise and crowds of the city and . . . — Map (db m81294) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Patterson Park — Civil War Camp and Hospital
During the Civil War Patterson Park served as a U.S. Army camp, one of several established as part of the Federal occupation of Baltimore. In 1861 the 10th Maine Infantry Regiment occupied Camp Washburn (named for Maine Gov. Israel Washburn) in the . . . — Map (db m61888) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Recinoso
Presented by The United Spanish War Veterans of Maryland 1925 On the Muzzle: Captured by the U.S.S. Dixie Manned By the First Naval Battalion M.N.G. Fort Ciamanera, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, Aug. 22, 1899 Presented to Mayor . . . — Map (db m79892) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Battle Monument
This Monument was erected by the citizens of Baltimore under the management of the Committee of Vigilance and Safety in honor of the gallant defenders of this City and Nation who fell in the Battle of North Point and during the . . . — Map (db m89203) HM WM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Great Guns of the Fort... — The Rodman Cannons
The guns in front of you are the heaviest cannons ever mounted at Fort McHenry. The largest fired exploding projectiles weighing 440 pounds. Mass-produced they represent the "coming of age" of America's iron industry. A special process developed by . . . — Map (db m65651) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Guns that Won the Battle
The gun deck in front of you is a partial representation of the forts 1814 Water Battery. Made up of 26 cannons in two tiers, the Water Battery comprised the fort's primary means of defense.

The Cannons that stood here fired shot weighing 18 . . . — Map (db m60411) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — The Severn Building
Designed by architect Charles E. Cassell and constructed it 1895. It was purchase d by Caswell J. Caplan in 1976 and is still owned by his wife Constance and their children. The family is committed to maintaining and improving Mount Vernon; the . . . — Map (db m95610) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Star Spangled Banner Flag was Born Here
―――――――――★――――――――― The flag that flew from the ramparts at Fort McHenry and inspired the famous poem by Francis Scott Key was sewn . . . — Map (db m96548) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Star-Spangled Banner Centennial Monument
To Commemorate the Centennial of the Writing of the "Star Spangled Banner," the Pupils of the Public Schools of Baltimore have erected this Memorial upon Hampstead Hill * where, in September, 1814 the Citizen Soldiers of Maryland . . . — Map (db m61891) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — This Cannon Marks Rodgers Bastion — 1814-1914
This cannon marks Rodgers Bastion which formed part of a chain of fortifications extending from the river front to and beyond the site of the present Johns Hopkins Hospital, manned in part by an auxiliary naval force, under immediate command of . . . — Map (db m79873) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Halethorpe — The Relay House
On this site in 1830 a hotel with a waiting room and ticket office was built to serve passengers of the B & O Railroad. Here horses were changed for the final 5-mile trip to Ellicott Mills. Hence the name Relay House. As the B & O Railroad grew the . . . — Map (db m103010) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Hereford — Fosters "Masemore" Mill
Built in 1797 by Nicholas Foster and Christopher Walker. This mill was once the hub of an agricultural community. It is now a private residence within Gunpowder Falls State Park. — Map (db m98209) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Abisado — The Court House Cannon
. . . — Map (db m91701) WM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — In Memoriam — The Ridgely Family Cemetery — Egyptian Revival Vault, 1815
This gated cemetery, where generations of Ridgleys are buried, is still in use by the family. Feel free to enter and walk among the tombstones and monuments, but show proper respect. Notice the family vault at center, the names and inscriptions on . . . — Map (db m83524) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the Citizens of Baltimore County Who Served Their Nation in Southeast Asia 1957 - 1975 In Memory of Those Who Gave Their Lives Harvey C. K. A. Au Charles J. Armstrong Leland Bailey James H. Baker, Jr. Larry M. . . . — Map (db m83691) WM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — A Place in Chesapeake History
Here, where St. Leonard Creek meets the Patuxent River, people lived and events took place that helped shape the region’s — and America’s — history. Look downriver towards Solomons and see the Governor Thomas Johnson Bridge in the . . . — Map (db m94695) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — Idyllic Retreat — Beach House on the Point
The Chesapeake has long been a place to enjoy. This small waterside bath house came complete with men's and ladies' changing rooms, electricity and plumbing, Unusual for any structure in this part of Calvert County in the early 1930s. This was Mr. . . . — Map (db m95138) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — June 1814 — War Visits the Patuxent — Battle At The Mouth of St. Leonard Creek
Instead of this peaceful scene in front of you, imagine the air. hazy with smoke brightened by the flare of gunfire and rockets. Hear booming cannons, screaming rockets, yelling and shouting. Right here at the mouth of St. Leonard Creek is' where . . . — Map (db m95871) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Keysville — Francis Scott Key
Francis Scott Key Author of The Star Spangled Banner Gave This Ground For Church And School Purposes In 1823 Erected by The P.O.S. of A. Of Maryland June 10, 1916 — Map (db m80086) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), New Windsor — Birthplace of American Methodism — Robert Strawbridge † 1781
The Pioneer Preacher of American Methodism purchased from John England, Sr. this house and farm March 2, 1773. A part of England's Chance and Brother's Inheritance, on which he had lived for 13 years since his coming to American 1760. Here he . . . — Map (db m81102) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Taneytown — Everything from Bags of Flour to the President's Shoes
The arrival of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company in 1871 placed the town's merchants and farmers in an advantageous economic situation. Edward Reindollar expanded a grain elevator by including a steam flour mill in 1892, while Edward Zepp set up a . . . — Map (db m80556) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Taneytown — Painting the Town Red
John Augustus Dempwolf, a Pennsylvania architect, was asked to design Trinity Lutheran Church in 1896. He had previously designed the Taneytown Presbyterian Church in 1883 and the Hagan House and Grocery Store in 1890. Several other prominent . . . — Map (db m80555) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Taneytown — Zile's Ice Cream
The Downtown Taneytown Main Street Organization dedicates this sign restoration to the Taneytown community. The "Zile's Ice Cream“ sign was originally completed in the 1920's by Roy Strine and restored in the year 2001 by Lewis Shlitt. It . . . — Map (db m80463) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Frederickstown — Fort Duffy
Erected to honor the heroism of the men who so bravely defended Fort Duffy and Fredericktown against the British Fleet May 5, 1813 Colonel Thomas Ward Veazey, commanding Samuel Wroth, D.F. Heath; Moses Cannon; Nicholas Franks; John W. . . . — Map (db m62347) WM
Maryland (Charles County), Ironsides — Durham Parish — Established 1692
One of the original thirty parishes established by an act of the General Assembly of Maryland on June the 2nd 1692. A log church was first erected on this site as reported by the vestry to the Governor in 1694. Existing church was constructed in . . . — Map (db m68588) HM
Maryland (Charles County), Port Tobacco — John Hanson
John Hanson 1715 - 1785 President of the United States In Congress Assembled 1781 - 1782 was born at Mulberry Grove April 14, 1715 Erected by the VASA Order of America. — Map (db m94218) HM
Maryland (Charles County), Port Tobacco — On to Yorktown — Washington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route National Historic Trail — Road to Victory
Upon arrival of French forces in Newport, Rhode Island in July 1780, Baron Ludwig von Closen, a captain in the Royal Deux-Ponts Regiment, was selected by General Rochambeau as one of his aides-de-camp. Closen accompanied Rochambeau on most of his . . . — Map (db m62756) HM
Maryland (Charles County), Port Tobacco — Thomas Stone — 1743 - 1787
Signer of the Declaration of Independence Member of Congress Placed by the Maryland State Society Daughters of the American Revolution July 4, 1978 — Map (db m94358) HM
Maryland (Charles County), Port Tobacco Village — Saint Ignatius' Church — Saint Thomas' Manor
The Manor Land was acquired in 1649, under Lord Baltimore's "Conditions of Plantation." The Chapel was built probably in 1662, the manor house in 1741. Bishop Carroll laid the cornerstone of the present church in 1798. Here occurred in 1805 the viva . . . — Map (db m70788) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), St. Michaels — Deflecting the Enemy — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Local Lore hails St. Michaels for "fooling the British" during the War of 1812 by using lanterns to misdirect gunfire high above the town. It is certain that this shipbuilding village successfully fended off two enemy assaults in 1813. On . . . — Map (db m61388) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Vienna — Discover: The Nanticoke
In 1608, English Captain John Smith's explorations of the Chesapeake Bay led him up the Nanticoke River. He may have felt as if he were exploring the New World, but the Native Americans he encountered had been living in the region for millennia. The . . . — Map (db m63294) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Vienna — Discover: Vienna — Welcome to Vienna, Maryland
In 1608, when English Captain John Smith sailed up the Nanticoke River in a small, open boat, he met and traded with the native people near here. Today Vienna is a stop on the Captain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail. Founded in . . . — Map (db m63298) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Vienna — Discover: Vienna Heritage
Welcome to Vienna, Maryland. Situated on a bend in the Nanticoke River, Vienna has been a crossroads, a trading center, and a gateway to the Chesapeake Bay for centuries. Today Vienna is busily planning for its future while embracing its past. With . . . — Map (db m63292) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Vienna — John Smith Explores the Chesapeake — Captain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail
Captain John Smith explored the Chesapeake Bay in the early 1600s seeking metals and a passage to Asia. He traveled the James, Chickahominy, and York rivers in 1607, and led two major expeditions from Jamestown in 1608. Smith and his crew sailed and . . . — Map (db m63333) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Braddock Heights — The Braddock-Washington Monument
In April 1755, Frederick Town was a planning center for a major campaign in the French and Indian War (175-1763). General Edward Braddock arrived from England and later 1,400 British Troops joined him to stop the French from taking land claimed by . . . — Map (db m68946) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Buckeystown — Site of Buckeystown Methodist Episcopal Church
To your left is a street scene of the intersection in Buckeystown around 1899. The house immediately on your left was built around 1898 as the residence for the superintendent of the Buckingham School for Boys, located south of town (now . . . — Map (db m90488) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Burkittsville — 6 — Mausoleum — Gathland State Park — Walking Tour Stop 6
Townsend regarded Gapland as a lasting monument to himself and his craft and wanted to rest here for all time. Townsend designed and erected his Mausoleum in 1895. Its four vaults were intended to house his remains and those of his wife and parents. . . . — Map (db m65854) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — “Frederick's Other City”
When Frederick Town was laid out in 1745, founder Daniel Dulany provided lots to different faith denominations to build churches. These would serve as centers of religious, educational and social life for the new settlers in Maryland's colonial . . . — Map (db m104185) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — “South Magnetic”
The compass Meridian Stones of Frederick County. One of two stones set in 1896 by USC&GS to establish a true meridian line. Used by surveyors to check compass variations pursuant to Article 25, Code of MD ──── . . . — Map (db m89631) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Braddock — Braddock Carnegie Library
Braddock Carnegie Library has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance In commemorating the history of the United States of America Built in 1888-1889 and dedicated March 30, 1889, . . . — Map (db m99024) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Braddock — Braddock's Spring
was near this tablet. Here General Braddock was refreshed and the wounds bathed that he received in the Battle of Braddock's Defeat. July, 9, 1755, From these wounds he died July 13, 1755 ----------------- Erected 1917. That year . . . — Map (db m98945) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Braddock — Edgar Thomson Plant — U.S. Steel Mon Valley Works
ASM International The Materials Information Society Has Designated Edgar Thomson Plant U.S. Steel Mon Valley Works An Historical Landmark “Built in 1873 by Andrew Carnegie, the Edgar Thomson Plant pioneered numerous technological . . . — Map (db m99443) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Braddock — Joe Magarac • 1940
Joe was of eastern European stock and worked in the steel mills of Pittsburgh. His physical power and his courageous, giving and industrious character made Joe the greatest steelworker who ever lived. In fact, Joe was made of steel, born in an . . . — Map (db m98943) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny Soldiers' Lot
Civil War Dead An estimated 700,000 Union and Confederate soldiers died in the Civil War (1861-1865). As the death toll rose, the U.S. government struggled with the urgent but unplanned need to bury fallen Union troops. This propelled the . . . — Map (db m99059) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Diplodocus carnegii
Diplodocus carnegii lived 150 million years ago, when dinosaurs dominated the land. Carnegie Museum paleontologists first discovered the remains in Wyoming on July 4, 1899. A new species, the dinosaur was named after Andrew Carnegie, the museums . . . — Map (db m99165) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Edith Darlington Ammon
“Men…with but the thought of gain and gold were dreaming of tracks and trains, of massive walls and wreathing smoke from towering chimneys, while we dreamed of fame and power, of peaceful paths where once was strife, of space and breeze, of . . . — Map (db m99061) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Fourth Ward Memorial
This memorial is dedicated in sincere tribute to the living and dead whose valiant efforts and unselfish sacrifices have made America great. God grant that the liberty of humanity won only by brave souls and vigilantly guarded, shall live on with . . . — Map (db m100468) WM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — The Hiker
In Memory of her sons who served in the Army and Navy of the United States during the War with Spain and the campaigns incident thereto, 1898-1902. This monument is erected by the County of Allegheny 1925. Cuba, Porto Rico, China Relief . . . — Map (db m99164) WM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — The Site of Fort Pitt
The Site of Fort Pitt Built 1758 - 1761 Visited by George Washington 1753 - 1758 - 1770 ———————— This tablet placed by the Daughters of the American Revolution of Allegheny . . . — Map (db m98829) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — The Venango Path
. . . — Map (db m99147) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Wall Section Through Rampart of Fort Pitt
This restored wall presents a section through a typical masonry rampart of Fort Pitt. Originally built of brick burned at the site and stone quarried in the area. The fort was a five-sided structure with a bastion at each corner and measured a . . . — Map (db m99064) HM
Pennsylvania (Berks County), Stonycreek — Flight 93 National Memorial — A common field one day, a field of honor forever.
September 11, 2001 10:03 AM United Airlines Flight 93 crashes into a field two miles ahead of you, shattering the quiet of the Pennsylvania countryside. Those who rush to the scene look on in disbelief at charred trees and a smoldering crater. . . . — Map (db m100529) HM WM
Virginia, Alexandria — "For God and Country"
In Loving Memory of Kate Waller Barrett, 1859-1925 First President American Legion Auxiliary Department of Virginia 1922 National President American Legion Auxiliary 1923 ▼▲▼▲▼ This Tablet . . . — Map (db m72401) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — 115 Prince Street — Captain's Row
George Washington's 1749 Survey shows this lot fronting the Potomac River. The original house on this site was built in 1783. It was destroyed in the great fire of January 18, 1827, which consumed 53 houses and numerous outbuildings in Old Town. . . . — Map (db m71794) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — A Tale of Three Jurisdictions
Did you know that you traverse the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia when you cross this bridge? The brass lines in the walkway mark the boundaries. They also commemorate the cooperation required to build this bridge. Follow the . . . — Map (db m60241) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Alexandria Railroads
Three railroads developed in Alexandria during the mid-19th century, a period of limited industrial expansion for the City. Alexandrians had a invested heavily in the Alexandria Canal which opened in 1843, giving the city access to the rich . . . — Map (db m72379) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Colross-Alexandria's Urban Phoenix — Alexandria Heritage Trail
For over a century, this two-acre block was occupied by a mansion known as Colross. Built in 1800 by John Potts, the mansion, with its outbuildings, gardens, orchard, and a "clover lot" was in effect a small plantation. Colross's owners . . . — Map (db m72384) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Contrabands and Freedmen Cemetery Memorial
Seeking freedom and a chance to begin a new life thousands of African Americans fleeing slavery flooded Civil War-era Alexandria. The city was quickly overwhelmed, and as living conditions grew dire, many perished from disease and deprivation. In . . . — Map (db m86652) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — D.C.'s First Building Block — Jones Point Park
In 1791, surveyors on Jones Point began to lay out the ten-mile square that would become Washington, D.C. The first marker for the survey—the south cornerstone—was set in place on this spot. Although the stone within this protective . . . — Map (db m60162) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Former USCT Burial Ground — Rather Die Freemen Than Live To Be Slaves
This corner of the cemetery was probably reserved for members of the U.S. Colored Troops, some of whom were veterans of battles like the siege of Petersburg and the Battle of the Crater. In 1864, a group of USCT convalescing at L'Ouveruture Hospital . . . — Map (db m87058) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Green & Brother Furniture
Steam Furniture Works. Established 1828. Green & Brother, manufacturers of chamber, hall, parlor, dining-room, school, and church furniture. Wholesale and retail. Ssend for price list. Handrail, newells, balusters, brackets, bed-posts, table-legs; . . . — Map (db m71742) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Historic Street
In the 1790's many Alexandria streets were paved with cobblestones. According to legend, Hessian soldiers provided the labor to cobble Princess Street. These cobbles remained essentially untouched until 1979, when the street was restored using the . . . — Map (db m71813) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Home of Dr. James Craik — (Born 1730 - Died Feb. 6, 1814)
Close personal friend and family physician of Washington. Surgeon in Braddock's campaign, also with Washington throughout the Revolutionary War. Was at his bedside when he died and received his last messages. — Map (db m72341) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Home of Elisha Cullen Dick — (Born 1750 - Died 1825)
Was consulting physician in Washington's last illness. At the moment of Washington's death he stopped the bedroom clock, which can be seen in Alexandria Washington Lodge, and conducted the Masonic Funeral service at his grave. — Map (db m71751) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Home of Henry Lee — (Light Horse Harry)
Famous Revolutionary Soldier, Father of Robert E. Lee. Was ardent supporter of Federalists. Defended Washington in political contests and delivered eulogy before Congress at Washington's Death in which he used the now famous phrase: "First in . . . — Map (db m72316) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Hooff's Run Bridge — Alexandria Heritage Trail
The bridge is one of the last remnants of Alexandria's first railroad, the Orange & Alexandria. The “O&ARR,” as it was commonly called, opened in 1851 and had 148 miles of track in 1860. The bridge was constructed by the railroad as it . . . — Map (db m99330) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — James Bland Homes
Funded by the U.S. Public Housing Administration and built by the Alexandria Housing and Redevelopment Authority (ARHA) between 1954 and 1959, the James Bland Homes was Alexandria's fourth public housing project, and it more than doubled the city's . . . — Map (db m72374) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — John Douglass Brown House
Farm house in Fairfax County, Virginia, located upon part of a seven hundred acre land patent granted to Margaret Brent in 1654. Owned and occupied by descendants of John Douglass Brown and Mary Goulding Gretter since 1816. Placed by John . . . — Map (db m71738) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — L'Overture Hospital HQ — February 15, 1864
During the Civil War, 217 was the headquarters of the L'Overture Hospital. It was named after Tousaint L'Overture — Hispaniola's (Haiti) slave revolt leader. Patients were African American Union Soldiers & “contrabands” (escaped . . . — Map (db m74279) HM WM
Virginia, Alexandria — Mountains of Materials and Massive Manpower — Fighting World War I
The concrete foundations you see here were part of a craneway servicing two shipways and launch sites -- elements of an enormous World War I-era shipyard. To speed delivery of cargo ships needed for the war effort, the Virginia Shipbuilding . . . — Map (db m62323) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Oakland Baptist Church Cemetery
In 1939, Samuel Javins conveyed the land which was referred to as "Oakland Church lot" nine years earlier, to the Oakland Baptist Church, after the death of his wife, Florence McKnight Javins. She inherited the property from her mother, Harriet . . . — Map (db m81223) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Orange & Alexandria Roundhouse
Orange & Alexandria Railroad roundhouse, formerly located near Duke and South Henry Streets. Engine named after Brigadier General Herman Haupt, Chief of Transportation, U.S. Military Railroads during the Civil War. Mathew Brady photograph after . . . — Map (db m72622) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 1
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed 1791 - 1792 Protected by Mt. Vernon Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m72932) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 2
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed 1791-1792 Protected by Mt. Vernon Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m73042) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Prehistory to Colonial Settlement
Jones Point was once a wooded wilderness, ringed by marshes and periodically cut off from the mainland during high tide. American Indians made use of both woodland and wetland for food, tools and supplies. By the 17th century, Europeans had . . . — Map (db m62028) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Residence of General William Brown, M.D. — Born 1748.      Died 1792.
Physician General and Director of Hospitals, Middle Department, Continental Army, Charter member, Society of the Cincinnati. Author of the first American Pharmacopoea. President of Board of Trustees of Alexandria Academy, at General Washington's . . . — Map (db m71757) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Saint Mary's Catholic Parish
Founded 1795 by Very Rev. Francis Jonatus Neale, S.J. of Georgetown College and Colonel John Fitzgerald, Aide de Camp to General George Washington and one time Mayor of Alexandria Prior to 1785, the Catholic community of Alexandria . . . — Map (db m72355) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Stabler-Leadbeater House — (1847 - 1933)
Built circa 1818 by Josiah Hewes Davis (1783-1862), rope maker and ship chandler who operated a rope walk at Jones Point. Purchased in 1847 by William Stabler (1795-1852) as a home for John Leadbeater (1808-1860), his brother-in-law and business . . . — Map (db m71772) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Bank of Potomac Building — Built 1804-07
Here Union Governor Francis Harrison Pierpont established the “Restored Government of Virginia” and used the building as the official Governor's Residence 1863-65 This Property is protected by a preservation easement held by . . . — Map (db m71611) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Duke Street Tanyard — Alexandria Heritage Trail
Peter Wise, a city councilman and tanner, established the Duke Street Tanyard in 1797. The Business was situated near the stone bridge on the east bank of Hooff's Run by West End Village. The tannery's ownership and name changed many times; Quakers . . . — Map (db m72479) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Emerging Nation
From the late 1700s into the 1800s, the pastoral calm of the Point was interrupted repeatedly—by soldiers manning cannon emplacements, by surveyors laying out the boundaries of the nation's capital, by workers at a ropewalk and the lighthouse, . . . — Map (db m62029) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Fairfax House — 1749 ▿ 1771
This house was built and owned for twenty years by the Fairfaxes of Belvoir Col. William Fairfax 1691 ▿▿▿ 1757 Col. George William Fairfax 1724 ▿▿▿ 1787 Patrons Instructors and friends of Washington, . . . — Map (db m92329) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Fitting-Out Dock — Shipshape and Cargo-Ready — 1918-1921
This dock, constructed of reinforced concrete on concrete and wood pilings, was once the last stop for cargo ships under construction at Jones Point's World War I shipyard. Here, ships received final fittings before heading out for service. The dock . . . — Map (db m62201) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Front Door of Gadsby's Tavern
This Doorway was returned to Gadsby's Tavern From the Metropolitan Museum by Charles Beatty Moore, Colonel. U.S.A. Retired (1881-1951) in 1949 by the Alexandria Assocation. 1949 marked the Bicentennial of Alexandria's Founding. — Map (db m71777) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Hump: Open Lots For Blocks
The racially integrated working-class neighborhood known as the Hump, named for the high ground at its northern boundary, once spanned three blocks, centering on the 800 block of Montgomery Street. The Hump was first settled in the decade following . . . — Map (db m72500) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Jones Point Lighthouse — Shedding Light on a Landmark — Jones Point Park
In the 1850's, Alexandria was one of the busiest seaports in the Chesapeake region. To help guide Potomac River ship traffic, the federal government built the Jones Point lighthouse, illuminating the beacon for the first time on May 1, 1856. It was . . . — Map (db m60242) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Lost Village of Cameron at Great Hunting Creek
Three hundred years ago, a river as wide as the Capital Beltway—Great Hunting Creek—emptied into the Potomac River at this spot. In the absence of good roads, this river and its tributaries were vital corridors for travel and trade. . . . — Map (db m62000) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Memorial Fountain
The Memorial Fountain in this garden rededicated on June 2, 1967 by The Mount Vernon Chapter National Society of The Daughters of the American Revolution on the occasion of the Dedication of tavern square the fountain was previously located at the . . . — Map (db m71758) WM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Memorial Pool — Casualties of Segregation
African Americans in Alexandria suffered, along with other of their race, when a segregated system prevented them from enjoying recreation facilities in their hometown. From 1926 to 1951, the city had a municipal pool for white residents only. . . . — Map (db m80843) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Nations Capital Begins Here 1791-1793 — Jones Point Park
After the Revolutionary War, the new nation searched fora permanent seat of government. President George Washington favored a 10-mile square territory along the Potomac River that encompassed the economically important ports of Georgetown and . . . — Map (db m60165) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Oakland Baptist Church
Several residents of "The Fort" community were founders of the Oakland Baptist Church, which is located at the intersection of King Street and Braddock Road. The congregation started worshiping in a bush arbor as Oak Hill Baptist Mission in 1888 and . . . — Map (db m81185) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Original Saint Mary's Church
About eighty feet to the west of this site the original Saint Mary's Church was constructed between 1794–1796 by father Francis Neale, S. J., at the corner of what is now Washington and Church Streets. It was the first catholic church in the . . . — Map (db m86633) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Race to Build Ships on Jones Point — Alexandria Goes to War — 1918 - 1921
In response to a shortage of ships and shipbuilding facilities at the start of World War I, the U.S. government decided to enter the shipbuilding business. In 1917, the U.S. Emergency Fleet Corporation was created and eventually oversaw construction . . . — Map (db m62022) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Remarkable Margaret Brent — Landowner, Lawyer, Suffragette — 1601 - 1671
Despite occasional conflicts between European settlers and local Indians, Mistress Margaret Brent of Saint Mary’s City, Maryland, was granted the first land patent on Piper’s Island (later known as Jones Point) in 1654. An extraordinary woman for . . . — Map (db m62026) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The West End — Alexandria Heritage Trail
The area around duke street between Hooff's Run and the base of Shuter's Hill was once known as "West End." Originally subdivided and sold by John and Thomas West in the 1780s, West End became a thriving community well positioned for commerce along . . . — Map (db m72367) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Washington's Tenement House
Built for investment in 1797 by George Washington Lot purchased by Washington in 1763 Conveyed by will in 1799 to Martha Washington — Map (db m71716) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Who Owns the River?
According to Lord Baltimore's land grant from King Charles I in 1632, Maryland owns the "River of Pattowmack...unto the further Bank of said River." But with Virginia's shoreline constantly shifting how could the border be fixed? In 1929, a survey . . . — Map (db m60179) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Wilkes Street Tunnel
The Wilkes Street Tunnel was part of the Orange & Alexandria Railroad, founded in 1848 to promote trade with western Virginia. The Orange and Alexandria inaugurated its track in Alexandria on May 7, 1851 with a run to the north end of Union Street . . . — Map (db m72346) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Within Its Walls — A Foundation for Education and Opportunity
Clara Shorts Adams and Robert Adams conveyed a quarter-acre to the Falls Church School District of Fairfax County in 1898 for the purpose of educating African American children. The one-room "Colored School Building at Seminary" was the first public . . . — Map (db m81515) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — World War I-Era Rudder — Evidence of the Shipyard at Jones Point
In May 2000, this rudder was recovered along the banks of the Potomac River near Jones Point. Measuring over 22 feet high and 4.5 feet wide, the rudder is of the variety used to outfit steel cargo ships constructed between 1918 and 1920 at the . . . — Map (db m61952) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — World Wars to the Present
In the 20th century, Jones Point continued to be shaped by the changing needs of the federal government. With proximity to the capital and access to land and river transportation, the peninsula was chosen as the site for several military . . . — Map (db m62030) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 5
Original Federal Boundary Stone 1921 - 1952 District of Columbia Placed 1791-1792 Protected by Keystone Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution — Map (db m73024) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — Original West Corner Stone
Original West Corner Stone District of Columbia 1791 - 1792 Dedication 1952 Rededication 1989 Falls Church Chapter, NSDAR — Map (db m72939) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — Purple Heart Memorial — Wounded Combat Veterans — 1782 Military Order of the Purple Heart 1932
. . . — Map (db m82494) WM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — Ronald Reagan
The statue of Ronald Wilson Reagan, 40th President of the United States from 1981-1989, is located northeast of this location at the driving entrance to Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport. In 1987, President Reagan's Secretary of . . . — Map (db m70983) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — Rosslyn
Rosslyn traditionally has served as a principal gateway to Arlington and to Virginia. Captain John Smith explored this area in 1608. Awbrey's Ferry carried travelers across the Potomac for more than a century in the 1700s and 1800s. The Aqueduct . . . — Map (db m82493) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — SW No. 9 Mile Marker
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia 1791 Protected by Falls Church Chapter, NSDAR Dedication 1916   Rededication 1989 — Map (db m72996) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — Arlington Estate, 1860
In 1778, John Parke Custis purchased most of the 1,100 acres comprising this estate from the Alexander family. John's son, George Washington Parke Custis, came in 1802 and completed the house in 1818. He named it “Arlington” after the . . . — Map (db m70738) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — Dependence on Slave Labor — Arlington House, The Robert E. Lee Memorial
Unlike the planters in the lower south, the Custis and Lee family grew mostly food crops on this 1,100 acre plantation as well as at two other sites. George Washington Park Custis limited the cultivation of cotton and tobacco because they were labor . . . — Map (db m70676) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — Garden to Graves — Arlington House, The Robert E. Lee Memorial
The dead from three years of Civil War filled all burial spaces in the area. In 1864, President Lincoln charged General Montgomery Meigs with locating a site for a new national cemetery. Arlington's high elevation and aesthetic beauty made it ideal, . . . — Map (db m70711) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — Guardian of a Nation's Heritage — Arlington House, The Robert E. Lee Memorial
Selina Gray, her husband, and their eight children lived in the room to your right. She was Mrs. Lee's personal maid and later the head housekeeper. Her parents had been Mt. Vernon slaves, so she grew up steeped in the lore of George Washington. . . . — Map (db m70500) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — Mary Randolph
Mary Randolph, wife of David Meade Randoph, and first person known to be buried at Arlington, was the eldest child of Thomas Mann and Ann Cary Randolph, of Tuckahoe. Her maternal grandfather was Archibald Cary, of Ampthill; Her paternal . . . — Map (db m70511) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — The Kingdom of My Childhood — Arlington House, The Robert E. Lee Memorial
Here the Custis and Lee family members entertained guests, strolled with suitors, read precious letters, buried their much beloved pets, communed with nature, engaged in spiritual reflection, and enjoyed the shade and solitude of a wooden arbor. . . . — Map (db m70685) HM
Virginia (Clarke County), White Post — Greenway Court
Greenway Court Has Been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses National Significance in Commemorating the History of the United States of America 1980 Heritage Conservation and Recreation Service United States . . . — Map (db m70247) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — A Tribute to The Men of Fairfax County
Who died in the spirit of Loyalty Served their country in 1917 - The World War - 1918 ————— Died in Service Thomas L. Brady, James F. Carper, Clarence M. Dawson, William I. Deardorff, Howard Derr, Percy J. . . . — Map (db m75471) WM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — War Dogs — Always Faithful
War Dogs Always Faithful War Dog Monument Given to Fairfax County Virginia June 2011 Deployed World War II Korean Conflict Vietnam War Gulf War Iraq War Afghan War Erected by The National War Dogs Monument Inc. - . . . — Map (db m74125) WM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Great Falls — American Indians of the Potomac River — Riverbend Park — Potomac River Gorge Interpretive Trail
Prehistoric people arrived along the shores of the Potomac River some 13,000 years ago. Slowly they transformed from semi-nomadic hunters into farmers and fishermen. Eventually, a group called the Nacotchtanks became the dominant tribe of the . . . — Map (db m64316) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Great Falls — River Crossing at Conn's Ferry — War of 1812
Invasion of Washington City Following the defeat of American militia forces by British regulars at Bladensburg, Maryland on the afternoon of August 24, 1814, a small British force, consisting mainly of officers, marched into the capital . . . — Map (db m102960) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), McLean — Mather Gorge
This mighty chasm, carved by the Potomac River, below Great Falls is dedicated and named in memory of Stephen T. Mather July 4, 1867 - January 22, 1930 With untiring enthusiasm for the National Park Idea, he served as first . . . — Map (db m101720) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — Henry Fairfax
In Memory of Henry Fairfax An upright magistrate A sincere Christian Died in command of The Fairfax Volunteers at Saltillo Mexico 1847 But for his munificence This church might still have been a ruin. Erected by the . . . — Map (db m77662) HM WM
Virginia, Falls Church — James Wren
In grateful memory of James Wren 1728 – 1815 Vestryman, Trustee & Architect of The Falls Church — Map (db m77643) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — New York Memorial Stone at Falls Church
In Memory of the Civil War Soldiers who were buried here in this Hallowed Ground 1861-1864 Edward Bowman, 21st NYVI John Decker, 20th NYSM Patrick Doyle, 20th NYSM Horace Dougherty, 144th NYVI Franklin E. Dunham, 20th NYSM . . . — Map (db m77610) WM
Virginia, Falls Church — To the Glory of God and in Honor of George Washington
To the glory of God and in honor of George Washington who was a vestryman in 1765 of the old Falls Church Built A.D. 1734 This tablet was placed by the Falls Church Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution October . . . — Map (db m77601) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Toward Revolution / 1970's Vision
Toward Revolution In the 70s Williamson Street Was primarily a working class industrial area. Artists, activists, poets, musicians, and theater folks found cheap rent here and minimal restriction on out artistic and political . . . — Map (db m105520) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Monona — Ernie's Trading Post — 1925
Built originally as a garage, this brick structure served from 1932 to 1952 as the only neighborhood grocery. Operated by early settler Ernie Ferchland, the store served as a meeting place for Blooming Grove Township residents who planned . . . — Map (db m68396) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Monona — Monona’s Birthplace / Monona's History
Monona’s Birthplace Dissatisfied with the services being provided by the Township of Blooming Grove, five residents of the area – Ernie Ferchland, Ray Owen, Ed Rothman, Walter Simon and Justin Waterman – met in Ernie’s Trading . . . — Map (db m68388) HM

981 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 781
Paid Advertisement