Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

642 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 442
 
The Piney River Cabin Marker image, Touch for more information
By Denise Boose, April 19, 2011
The Piney River Cabin Marker
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — 33 — Curly Bill Brocius
On East Allen Street, on the right when traveling east.
Curly Bill Brocius killed Marshal Fred White here on October 28th, 1880. — Map (db m53408) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — 35 — Rose TreeMuseum
On South 4th Street at Toughnut Street, on the right when traveling north on South 4th Street.
In 1934, Robert Ripley declares the Rose Bush the World's Largest in the Newspaper column "Believe it or Not". The fire of May 26th, 1882, destroyed the dwellings located here. In 1885, Mrs. Amelia Adamson built the Cochise House . . . — Map (db m125645) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — 38 — Southern Pacific Train Depot1903
Near South 4th Street, on the left when traveling south.
The railroad reached Tucson in March of 1880. Richard Grid had a railroad spike crafted of solid silver from the Toughnut Mine. It was presented to the President of the Southern Pacific Railroad as an inducement to bring a railroad spur to . . . — Map (db m53401) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — 36 — Tombstone Engine Co. No. 11881
On East Toughnut Street, on the right when traveling east.
The devastating fires of 1881 and 1882 brought major changes to the Tombstone Fire Department. A new fire station was completed in 1881, a new Rescue Hook and Ladder Co. was formed, and a new water source was obtained. Thirty six miles of fifteen . . . — Map (db m53403) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — A Gathering Place
On Loop Road, on the left when traveling north.
]Panel 1:] Between 1100 and 1200, more people lived in this area than ever before, or since. Located along routes linking large populations to the northeast and south, villages here were well situated for trade. As people, goods, and ideas . . . — Map (db m60079) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — A Legacy of the Past
On Loop Road, on the right when traveling north.
Box Canyon and Lomaki ruins are a short 15-minute walk from here, along the edges of ancient earthcracks. The 1/4-mile trail will take you back in time over 800 years to the remnants of this once-thriving community. You will see the few native . . . — Map (db m60114) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — A Village/Abandonment
On Loop Road, on the left when traveling north.
A Village You are entering the “Citadel,” a ruin from the late 1100s. Research has not been completed so it is important that we leave things as they are. Will there be extra storage spaces found, possible evidence for the . . . — Map (db m60089) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Ancient Landscapes
On Loop Road, on the right when traveling north.
Eight hundred years ago, a savannah-like grassland covered much of this high desert with abundant grasses. The residents would have collected and burned much of the nearby fuel, necessitating long walks to adjacent areas to gather wood. Sparse . . . — Map (db m60105) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Babbitt Brothers Building1888
On East Aspen Avenue at North San Francisco Street. on East Aspen Avenue.
In 1888, David Babbitt, who had been running a lumber yard on this site, decided to construct a general store. Starting in late summer, he built a 35 X 70 foot structure on this corner, with the long side of the building running west along Aspen . . . — Map (db m59504) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Box Canyon Ruins
On Loop Road, on the right when traveling north.
The Box Canyon ruins are typical of many pueblos found in this region. Early inhabitants constructed walls of nearby sandstone and limestone, and used local soils to cement the stones together. The flat roofs were built of timbers laid side-by-side, . . . — Map (db m60094) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Daily Life
On Loop Road, on the right when traveling north.
Plaza An open area in the pueblo near the rim of the earthcrack is known as the plaza. In pueblos, the plaza was the center for many daily activities including grinding corn, making pottery, working obsidian into arrowheads, processing other . . . — Map (db m60110) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Downtowner1921 - 1935
On South San Francisco Street, on the left when traveling south.
The K.J. Nackard family came to Flagstaff in 1912 and opened a small general store at 106 E. Railroad Avenue. The store was successful. In 1921, Nackard built a home on this property, just a stone's throw from the store. Soon afterwards, . . . — Map (db m119932) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Dry Land Farming
On Loop Road, on the right when traveling north.
Volcanic activity to the south produced giant fissures or earthcracks throughout the Wupatki area in the Kaibab Limestone. This formation covers most of the western half of Wupatki National Monument. The Sinagua and Anasazi Indians who inhabited . . . — Map (db m60098) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Raymond Building1911
On North Leroux Street, on the left when traveling north.
As the keystone shows, this building was constructed in 1911. Its owner was R.O. Raymond, M.D., one of Flagstaff’s first doctors. Raymond came west for his health. After a short stay in Williams, he moved to Flagstaff in 1906. He was the doctor . . . — Map (db m59511) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Ricket & Brooks Bldg.1911
On North San Francisco Street, on the right when traveling north.
The first building on this site was a wooden structure located at 22 N. San Francisco Street dating from the early 1890s. It was the home of a saloon with a cute name, The Office. (“Honey I can’t come home just yet, I’m still at The . . . — Map (db m59510) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Sunset Crater Volcano
On Loop Road, on the right when traveling north.
The distant San Francisco Peaks would have looked much like they do today. To the east, however, Sunset Crater Volcano would still have been belching black smoke and cinders when the Sinagua and Anasazi lived here. The thick layer of cinders over . . . — Map (db m60107) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Telephone Exchange1909
On North Leroux Street, on the right when traveling north.
This building was constructed in 1909 by John W. Weatherford, the man who earlier built the adjacent Weatherford Hotel. It was the headquarters for the Arizona Overland Telephone Company, housing its offices and physical plant. Construction . . . — Map (db m59966) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — The Citadel / Natural Features
On Loop Road, on the left when traveling north.
The Citadel It was a remarkable achievement, to use primitive mortar and local stones to build the walls above you straight up from the edge of the top of the rock. “The Citadel” is the modern name given to this ruin because . . . — Map (db m60087) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — The Historic Basque Handball Court
On South San Francisco Street, on the right when traveling south.
Historic Basque handball court (cancha) built in 1926 by Jesus Garcia, a Spaniard who migrated to Flagstaff in 1912. He owned and operated the adjacent Tourist Home. The Basque would reportedly herd sheep, drink, chase women, or play their beloved . . . — Map (db m59498) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Verkamp Building1899
On North San Francisco Street at East Aspen Avenue on North San Francisco Street.
John G. Verkamp came to Flagstaff in the 1890s. He first worked for the Babbitts (three of his sisters were married to Babbitt brothers), then succeeded in a number of businesses on his own, including lumber, livestock and merchandising. He is best . . . — Map (db m59505) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Weatherford Hotel1898/1899
On North Leroux Street.
John Weatherford, who was raised in Weatherford, Texas, came to Flagstaff in 1886. He decided to stay here because he fell in love with the San Francisco Peaks at first sight. He tried his hand in several occupations, everything from saloon keeper . . . — Map (db m59507) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Wukoki
On Loop Road.
Wukoki, a modern Hopi word for “Big House” was once home for two or three prehistoric Indian families. The inhabitants are believed to have been of the Kayenta Anasazi culture, judging from the types of artifacts found during excavation . . . — Map (db m60078) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Early Explorer
On Hermits Road, on the right when traveling east.
This monument honors Major John Wesley Powell, the leader of the first documented expedition through Grand Canyon. Imagine entering the depths of Grand Canyon down a roaring, not-yet-charted river, not knowing whether you will emerge. Because . . . — Map (db m108883) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Grand Canyon Depot
Near Village Loop Drive.
In 1901, the screech of train brakes and the blast of a train whistle signaled the arrival of a new era in Grand Canyon Village. The railroad provided the most comfortable means of transportation to the canyon for more than a quarter century. This . . . — Map (db m102856) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Orphan Mine
On Hermits Road, on the right when traveling east.
Something unexpected once stood on the rim in front of you. A steel headframe towered over a mineshaft that dropped 1,500 feet (460 m) to one of the richest uranium mines in the United States. From 1956 to 1969, miners extracted ton after ton of . . . — Map (db m108885) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon Village — Rest House
On Hermits Road, on the right when traveling south.
Your visit and rest here is part of a long tradition started in 1914 with the opening of Hermits Rest. After an 8-mile (13 km) buggy ride, you would be greeted by the resident caretaker and offered a refreshing drink to clear the dust from your . . . — Map (db m108881) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — Orchards (1890 - 1970)
On Jordan Road at Orchard Lane, on the right when traveling south on Jordan Road.
Fruit growing played a significant role in the early Sedona economy. Over time, settlers constructed ditches, flumes, pipelines, reservoirs, and water wheels to provide irrigation to their gardens and eventually to their larger orchards. Apples . . . — Map (db m54228) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — The SinaguaHistoric Sedona
Near State Highway 89A.
The earliest peoples arrived in the Verde Valley about 11,500 years ago. These early people practiced a hunting and gathering economy until approximately A.D. 1 when agriculture appeared. The Sinagua, whose Spanish name means "without water." . . . — Map (db m132998) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — Van Deren Ranch
On Jordan Road at Navahopi Road, on the right when traveling south on Jordan Road.
Lee Van Deren, cattleman, arrived to put his children in the new Sedona school opened in 1910. Ranching was a major part of Sedona’s early economy. Round ups and cattle drives were a twice a year occurrence for ranchers when moving their herds from . . . — Map (db m54229) HM
California (Calaveras County), Arnold — Discovery and Exploitation
On Big Tree Parkway, on the left when traveling east.
You are not the first to explore these forests. Generations of Miwok and Washoe Indians knew these trees. The rest of the world met the big trees in 1852 when hunter Augustus T. Dowd stumbled upon the North Grove. His discovery brought both . . . — Map (db m95185) HM
California (Calaveras County), Arnold — Hanging On By A BranchThe Pioneer Cabin Tree
On North Grove Trail, on the left when traveling west.
Here at Calaveras Big Tree State Park, it's a regrettable fact that the most famous trees are those most harmed by human action. Both the Mother of the Forest and the Big Stump remind us of how people placed their own curiosity and pleasure above . . . — Map (db m95184) HM
California (El Dorado County), Ed Z'berg Sugar Pine Point State Park-Tahoma — Pine Lodge-Erhman Mansion
On Ca State Park Road.
Lake Tahoe first lured hardy souls who came here to build a life in its wilderness. Pine Lodge, rises -grandly above the translucent blue waters of Lake Tahoe's west shore. San Francisco's elite built seasonal retreats like Pine Lodge, . . . — Map (db m55506) HM
California (Fresno County), Kingsburg — Fred French
Near Draper Street, on the right when traveling north.
On the night of November 2, 1916, Fred French, while performing his duties of deputy night watchman for the community of Kingsburg, encountered Lew Cowan behaving in a drunken and disorderly manner in the pool hall. Cowan and French engaged in a . . . — Map (db m95379) HM
California (Fresno County), Kingsburg — George Boyle
Near Draper Street, on the right when traveling north.
Constable George Boyle died of gunshot wounds on November 18, 1924, after being shot four times in a gun battle with three fugitives. According to the Kingsburg Recorder, Boyle was shot four days earlier while attempting to apprehend three convicts . . . — Map (db m95380) HM
California (Fresno County), Kingsburg — The Historic Kingsburg JailBuilt in 1925
Near Marion Street, on the right when traveling west.
On October 20, 1924 the Kingsburg City Council authorized the city clerk to call for bids to construct a new jail to replace a dilapidated wooden jail built in 1874. Less than one month thereafter, the bids were received and opened, and the Anton . . . — Map (db m95340) HM
California (Fresno County), Kingsburg — The History of the Town Kingsburg
On Draper Street, on the right when traveling north.
The history of the Town of Kingsburg begins in the early 1870's when the Central Pacific Railroad ws built and the train stop was named "Kings River Switch." Later it was named Wheatville, then Kingsbury in 1874, and Kingsburgh in 1875. With its . . . — Map (db m95363)
California (Inyo County), Big Pine — Big Pine Veterans Memorial
On Three Flags Highway (State Highway 395) at County Route 168, on the right when traveling north on Three Flags Highway.
Marker 1: The Big Pine Veterans Memorial was established by the Big Pine Civic Club in the year 2000 to honor all veterans of the Owens Valley. The 80-foot tall pole proudly displays the "Stars and Stripes" with the California State flag . . . — Map (db m54427) HM
California (Inyo County), Big Pine — The Roosevelt TreePlanted July 23, 1913
On Three Flags Highway (Highway 395) at County Route 168, on the right when traveling north on Three Flags Highway.
This Giant Sequoia is reported to have been planted to commemorate the opening of Westgaard Pass to automobile traffic. The tree was named in honor of President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt. — Map (db m54428) HM
California (Inyo County), Big Pine — Westgaard Pass Toll Road
On Three Flags Highway (State Highway 395) at County Route 168, on the right when traveling north on Three Flags Highway.
Camp Independence soldiers needed a road to Waucoba-Deep Springs. In 1873 J. S. "Scott" Broder completed this road and collected tolls until 1900. In 1913 A. L. Westgaard led an American Automobile Assn. tour across here, seeking a new . . . — Map (db m54425) HM
California (Inyo County), Bishop — "Atlas Copco Mucker"
On North Main Street, on the left when traveling north.
This historic mining artifact is known as a track mucking machine. It dates back to the 1960s and was used by Union Carbide Corporation at the nearby Pine Creek Tungsten mine 20 miles North West of Bishop. During World War II and for some years . . . — Map (db m78131) HM
California (Inyo County), Bishop — History of "Dangerous Arrest"Inyo Register — Thursday, March 10, 1887 —
On West Line Street, on the right when traveling west.
The Shooting For the first time in many months the peace and calm of the town were disturbed by a succession of pistols shots last Saturday night. The shots were fired by Officer Plumley in arresting one Phillip Staiger for disorderly conduct . . . — Map (db m78316) HM
California (Inyo County), Bishop — Slim Princess
On East Pine Street, on the right when traveling east.
The Slim Princess “Engine 9” was built in 1909 and first saw service on the 36 inch narrow gauge rails (standard gauge is 4 feet 8 ½ inches) of the Nevada, California and Oregon Railroad. It came to the Mina Branch of the Southern . . . — Map (db m78315) HM
California (Inyo County), Bishop — The Ernest Kinney Teamster Family Mural
On North Main Street, on the left when traveling south.
First Panel Left: Logging at Mono Mills Circa 1850-1910 This mural illustrates the Kinneys and Summers (Ernest’s grandmother was a Summers) hauling logs. The rig with the big wheels called “Michigan Wheels” is dragging . . . — Map (db m78320) HM
California (Inyo County), Bishop — Whiskey Creek History
On North. Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
The Kittie Lee Inn was built in 1924 and was considered to be the height of luxury. During Hollywood’s heyday of filming movies in the High Sierra, almost all of the great stars stayed here at one time or another. Will Rogers, Randolph Scott, . . . — Map (db m78314) HM
California (Inyo County), Cartago — "Cottonwood Charcoal Kilns"
On U.S. 395 at and an un-named dirt road, on the left when traveling south on U.S. 395.
[Upper Main Marker:] In June 1873 Colonel Sherman Stevens built a sawmill and flume on Cottonwood Creek high in the Sierra’s directly west of this spot. The flume connected with the Los Angeles Bullion Road. The lumber from the flume was . . . — Map (db m52104) HM
California (Inyo County), Independence — Edwards House
On West Market Street west of Three Flags Highway (U.S. 395), on the left when traveling west.
Thomas Edwards came to the Owens Valley in 1863, acquired land and founded the township of Independence. He built this house in 1865. It is the oldest house in Inyo County. — Map (db m52101) HM
California (Inyo County), Independence — Engine #18
On Three Flags Highway (U.S. 395) south of East Inyo Street, on the right when traveling south.
An oil burning steam locomotive, built by Baldwin in 1911, was purchased by the Southern Pacific R.R. in 1926 to haul passengers and freight along the 300 miles narrow gauge line, known locality as the “Slim Princess”. Jim Butler of . . . — Map (db m52099) HM
California (Inyo County), Lone Pine — Movie Flats
On Whitney Portal Road at Movie Road, on the left when traveling east on Whitney Portal Road.
Since 1920, hundreds of movies and TV episodes, including Gunga Din, How The West Was Won, Khyber Rifles, Bengal Lancers, and High Sierra, along with, The Lone Ranger and Bonanza, with such stars as Tom Mix, Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers, Gary . . . — Map (db m52103) HM
California (Inyo County), Lone Pine — The Adobe Wall
On North Main Sreet (U.S. 395), on the right when traveling south.
On March 26, 1872 at 2:30AM, one of the largest earthquakes ever recorded destroyed 52 out of the 59 buildings in Lone Pine. Because of the scarcity of building materials the largely immigrant population of Lone Pine, (estimated 250-300), . . . — Map (db m52102) HM
California (Inyo County), Lone Pine — Wedding of the Waters Pageant
On N Main St, on the right when traveling north.
The pageant weekend in 1937 was created by Father Crowley and locals to celebrate the opening of the much needed new paved road section connecting Owens Valley to Death Valley and points east. Friday morning a special gourd of water was scooped . . . — Map (db m77727) HM
California (Kern County), Arvin — Arvins Veterans
On Campus Drive, on the right when traveling east.
Dedicated with Pride and Appreciation to All Military Personnel from the Arvin and Lamont Area "Operaton Desert Storm" Janice Acree • Jose A. Garza • Javier Almaguer • Steven M. Gutierrez • John Alverez • Ted Johnson • Joe Baltierra • . . . — Map (db m59203) HM
California (Kern County), Arvin — Arvin-Sierra Glider Port1937-1941
On East Bear Mountain Boulevard (Highway 223) at Highway 58 on East Bear Mountain Boulevard.
Located on the hills in front of you, on the historic Tejon Ranch, the Arvin-Sierra Glider Port was the site for the West Coast Soaring Championships. Many of America’s famous glider pilots made record flights from here, soaring over the mountains . . . — Map (db m119219) HM
California (Kern County), Arvin — Bakersfield National Cemetery
On East Bear Mountain Boulevard, on the right when traveling west.
Dedicated to the Memory of All the Patriotic Men and Women Who Answered Their Country's Call to Service George W. Bush President of the United States James B. Peake Secretary U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs . . . — Map (db m59200) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Alphonse Weill Residence
On 17th Street at H Street, on the left when traveling west on 17th Street.
This is the original site of the residence of pioneer merchant Alphone Weill, wife Henrietta, and three children, Irma, Blanche, and Lawrence. The house, built in 1882-3, and now standing in Pioneer Village, was constructed by Alexis Godey, former . . . — Map (db m55120) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Arlington House
On Chester Avenue at 19th Street, on the left when traveling north on Chester Avenue.
Former site of two-story Arlington House opened December 26, 1874. Rebuilt to three stories after fire of 1889 and operated until 1915. Redesigned in 1916 to two-story business and store building. — Map (db m55122) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Bakersfield Californian
On Eye Street, on the right when traveling west.
Home of The Bakersfield Californian Erected by Alfred Harrell 1925 — Map (db m55744) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Bank of Bakersfield
On Chester Avenue at 20th Street, on the right when traveling west on Chester Avenue.
This site patented by Colonel Thomas Baker in 1867. Numerous individuals owned property until erection of Bank of Bakersfield in 1903. Replaced by present Bank of America building in 1930. — Map (db m55118) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Brock's Department Store
On 1918 Chester Avenue at 20th Street, on the left when traveling west on 1918 Chester Avenue.
This site was deeded by Col Thomas Baker to Agnes Stine in 1871. Dave Hirshfeld ran the Pioneer Store here in 1899. Succeeded by Otto Belau in the same year. In 1904 the business was sold to Hochheimer and Co. After the 1919 fire the structure was . . . — Map (db m55116) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Bungalow
On Chester Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
The bungalow style home was popular throughout California and across the country in the early years of the 1900s because of its simplistic design and low cost. People migrating to California often had very limited resources and would . . . — Map (db m64023)
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Captain Elisha Stephensand the — Stephens-Townsend-Murphy Party of 1844 —
On Potomac Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Elisha Stephens was born in South Carolina in 1804 and moved to Georgia with his family at a young age. However, he was to spend most of the first half of his life in the frontier lands bordering the Missouri River. Like many other Americans of his . . . — Map (db m55187) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Crites Building
On 19th Street at Eye Street, on the left when traveling west on 19th Street.
The Crites Building was designed by Bakersfield architect Benjamin McDougall (1865-1937) of McDougall Brothers of San Francisco and constructed as a two-story retail business by Charles J. Lindgren Company of San Francisco in 1900 for John . . . — Map (db m120916) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Eternal Flame
On East Potomac Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
We salute All Veterans Who Lie In God's Quiet Garden or Beneath His Murmuring Waves — Map (db m55746) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — F.W. Woolworth Company Store
On 19th St, on the left when traveling west.
F.W. Woolworth's stores have been in various Bakersfield locations since 1911. The most modernly-equipped and air-conditioned F.W. Woolworth's store on the Pacific Coast opened to the public on May 6, 1950.

Jackson Brothers of Los Angeles . . . — Map (db m109177) HM

California (Kern County), Bakersfield — First Baptist Church
On Truxton Street near L Street, on the right when traveling west.
The First Baptist Church was completed under the supervision of local architect Charles H. Biggar (1882 - 1946) in 1932. The building, designed in the Northern Italian Romanesque architectural style, is described in the National Register of Historic . . . — Map (db m117418) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — First Presbyterian Church
On 17th Street at H Street, on the left when traveling west on 17th Street.
In 1889, First Presbyterian Church began its ministry in Kern County as Cumberland Presbyterian Church. In 1905 the church merged with Westminster Presbyterian; being renamed First Presbyterian Church of Bakersfield. The church acquired property on . . . — Map (db m117142) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Haberfelde Building
On Chester Avenue near 17th Street, on the right when traveling north.
George Haberfelde (1871 - 1962), a civic and business leader in the community, contracted with local architect Charles H. Biggar (1882 - 1946) to construct this five-story office and retail building in the Sullivanesque architectural style. When . . . — Map (db m116966) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Haggard House
Near Chester Avenue.
The first thing I remember knowing was a lonesome whistle blowing And a youngun's dream of growing up to ride On a freight train leaving town not knowing where I'm bound And no one could change my mind but Mama tried -From Mama Tried, . . . — Map (db m136236) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Hay Building
On 19th Street at Eye Street, on the right when traveling west on 19th Street.
The Hay Building was initially constructed in the Victorian architectural style in 1894 for the Dinkelspiel brothers, Emile (1852-1906) and Louis (1854-1906). Dinkelspiel Brothers operated as a “Store of Fashionable Merchandise” at . . . — Map (db m120917) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Hayden Building
On 19th Street, on the right when traveling west.
The Hayden Building is a classic example of Second Renaissance Revival architectural style. It was designed for the Kern County Land Company by San Francisco architect Charles I. Haven (1849-1916) and opened in 1904 as the Hayden Furniture Company. . . . — Map (db m117419) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Kern County Courthouse
On Truxton Street, on the right when traveling east.
This was the site of the original county courthouse in Bakersfield (1874). In 1913 it was purchased by the city for use as a city hall and was occupied until the earthquakes of 1952. The present city hall was dedicated in 1954. — Map (db m116962) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Kern County Fair Exhibit Building
Near Chester Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
Over the years, county fairs have provided a venue for farmers and their families to showcase crops, livestock, arts, and crafts and learn about the latest agricultural techniques. The land presently occupied by the museum was once the . . . — Map (db m51873) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — 2015 — Kern County Hall of Records
On Chester Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Completed in January of 1909, the Hall of Records is the oldest government building in continous operation in Kern County. The structure was originally designed and constructed by Los Angeles architects Robert Train (1869-1951) and Robert Williams . . . — Map (db m115127) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Kern County Land Company Building
Near 19th Street east of G Street, on the left when traveling east.
In 1894, four years after the formation of the Kern County Land Company, the firm built an office building that demonstrated its "Faith in the Future" of Bakersfield. The structure with outside walls of cream colored pressed brick, trimmed with gray . . . — Map (db m52573) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Kern County Veterans"Grove of Honor"
On Alfred Harrell Highway, on the left when traveling west.
. . . — Map (db m72640) WM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Kern River Flour Mills
On Truxtun Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
In 1871 Horatio P. Livermore and William Muehe built the Kern River Flour Mills on the Kern Island Canal. Muehe sold his interest to Fordyce Roper in 1874 and Livermore to James B. Haggin in 1879, who also acquired Roper's interest in 1884. The . . . — Map (db m53243) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Kress Building
On 19th Street, on the right when traveling west.
S.H. Kress & Co. was the trading name of a national chain of "five and dime" retail department stores operating from 1896 to 1981. Opening in 1931, this three-story reinforced steel and masonry building was designed by New York City-based architect . . . — Map (db m115124) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — 690 — Last Home of Alexis Godey
Near R Street north of 19th Street.
Near this site stood the home of Alexis Godey, frontiersman and scout, who lived here from 1883 until his death on January 19, 1889. Born in St. Louis, Missouri in 1818, he acted as guide for John C. Frémont's expedition through the Kern area in . . . — Map (db m51676) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Livermore and Chester Store
On Chester Avenue at 19th Street, on the right when traveling west on Chester Avenue.
Site of Livermore and Chester Store, first business establishment in Bakersfield, an adobe structure built in 1865. Purchased by H. H. Fish in 1886. Destroyed in the fire of 1889. Rebuilt in 1890. — Map (db m55119) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — 1 — Pablo Galtes - Union CemeteryHistorical Marker #1
Near East Potomac Avenue west of South King Street, on the right when traveling east.
Pablo Galtes facilitated the establishment of the Catholic community of Bakersfield in the early 1870's. The first Mass celebrated in Bakersfield was said in the back of Pablo's store located on 19th Street near Chester Avenue. (Eleven family . . . — Map (db m120209) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — 2015 — Padre Hotel
On 1702 18th St, on the right when traveling west.
The Padre Hotel is an eight-story Spanish Colonial Revival architectural style building constructed on the former estate of Judge Benjamin Brundage (1834-1913). The Padre was originally designed by Los Angeles architect John M. Cooper (1883-1950) in . . . — Map (db m115125) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Site of Baker's Field
On Truxtun Avenue east of N. Street, on the left when traveling west.
In 1863 Col. Thomas Baker settled on the site of the present City of Bakersfield and fenced a ten-acre plot of alfalfa. This became known as Baker's Field where travelers through the area camped with their stock for protection from marauding outlaw . . . — Map (db m120922) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Southern Hotel
On Chester Ave, on the left when traveling north.
This site occupied by the French Hotel during the 1870's, later by the Southern Hotel from 1888 to 1947. — Map (db m117146) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Standard Oil Company Building
On 19th Street at G Street, on the right when traveling north on 19th Street.
Constructed in 1917 by Henry Jastro, this building is listed on both The National Register of Historic Buildings and the The Register of Historic Places by the Bakersfield City Council. It originally housed the executive offices of Standard Oil . . . — Map (db m55124) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Standard School
Near Chester Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
The discovery of oil near the Kern River in 1899 brought people to the area, creating a boomtown such as Oil Center, Oil City and Oildale. The Standard School District was formed in 1909. Standard Oil Company donated five acres of land . . . — Map (db m51874) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — 2015 — The Fox Theater
On 20th Street at H Street, on the right when traveling west on 20th Street.
The Fox Theater was designed by Los Angeles-based motion picture theater architect S. Charles Lee (1899-1990), built by Beller Construction, and supervised by local architect Charles H. Biggar (1882-1946). The three-story Spanish Colonial Revival . . . — Map (db m115126) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — United States Post Office
On 18th St., on the right when traveling west.
In 1924, Bakersfield was the twenty-first city in California to receive a Federal Post Office Building. Built at a cost of $130,000, the Mission architecture style building, constructed of masonry and concrete and reinforced with steel, was the . . . — Map (db m122018) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Vest Drug Store and Market
On Chester Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
A three-alarm fire swept through the Fish Building in 1936, destroying a business that had stood at this site since 1890. The current structure, built in 1938 by local contractor Henry Eissler (1879-1966), was designed by local architect Charles H. . . . — Map (db m109178) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — We Shall Never Forget
On Buena Vista Drive, on the right when traveling south.
This memorial site is erected and dedicated by the members of the Bakersfield Fire Department and our many supporting community partners, on this eleventh day of September, in the year two-thousand and sixteen A.D., on behalf of the citizens of . . . — Map (db m139587) WM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Weill's Department Store"Pioneers of the Past - Builders of the Furture"
On 19th Street, on the right when traveling north.
Alphonse Weill came from France to Havilah in 1870 and moved to Bakersfield in 1872, was employed by merchant Jacob Weil (No Relation), and became his partner in 1873. Subsequently Weill acquired the business and named it Weill's Department Store. A . . . — Map (db m55123) HM
California (Kern County), Bodfish — Silver City Ghost Town
Near Lake Isabella Boulevard (County Route 155) south of Kilbreth Drive, on the right when traveling south.
In 1855 gold was discovered in the Kern Valley. Miners flocked here from throughout the world to get in on what was believed to be California's second great gold rush. Towns sprung up in the area but many were abandoned within a few years when the . . . — Map (db m51825) HM
California (Kern County), Bodfish — USS Arizona
On Elizabeth Norris Road, on the right when traveling south.
She was one of the mightiest battleships of her time, measuring 608 feet in length and 97 feet at the widest point in her beam. She carried twelve 14 inch guns in four turrets and 22.5 inch .51 caliber guns. Her displacement was 31,400 tons with a . . . — Map (db m75886) WM
California (Kern County), Edison — 660 — Point On The Jedediah Smith Trail
On Edison Highway/Old Bena Road at Tower Line Road, on the right when traveling east on Edison Highway/Old Bena Road. Reported missing.
About February 1, 1827, Jedediah Strong Smith, first American to reach Mexican California overland, passed near this spot with his party of fur trappers. From San Gabriel Mission, the group was en route north to a land reported teeming with 'plenty . . . — Map (db m51855) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — Bell XP-59A Jet Aircraft
On Rosamond Boulevard.
On Oct. 2, 1942, a Bell XP-59A Aircraft powered by Twin General Electric Type 1-A Engines introduced Jet Flight to America. This new age began here at Edwards Air Force Base as the XP-59A lifted from Rogers Dry Lake with Bell Test Pilot Robert M. . . . — Map (db m115090) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — Boeing B-52D - “Stratofortress”
Near South Rosamond Boulevard, on the left when traveling north. Reported permanently removed.
The first prototye B-52 took to the air on 15 April 1952. Nearly 750 B-52’s were eventually built, of which 170 were –Ds. Records set by B-52s included the world’s first non-stop round-the-world flight by a jet aircraft and the first hydrogen . . . — Map (db m115099) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — CT-39A - "Sabreliner"North American
Near South Rosamond Boulevard, on the left when traveling north.
Originally developed as a private venture to meet a USAF requirement for a twin jet utility trainer, the prototype T-39 made its first flight on 16 September 1958. In all, 143 T-39A’s and six T-39B’s were built for the USAF. Another 62 T-39’s were . . . — Map (db m115101) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — F-101B • “Voodoo”McDonnell
On Rosamond Boulevard 10 miles east of California Route 14, on the right when traveling east.
Originally developed from the McDonnell XF-88 penetration fighter, the F-101 was designed as a long-range bomber escort for the Strategic Air Command. The prototype made its first flight at Edwards AFB in September 1954. When high-speed, . . . — Map (db m115497) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — F-104A • “Starfighter”Lockheed
On Rosamond Boulevard 10 miles east of California Route 14, on the right when traveling east.
The first XF-104 made its initial flight here at Edwards AFB in February 1954. In May 1958, a YF-104A set a world speed record of 1,404.19 mph over Edwards, and in December 1959, an F-104C set a world altitude record of 103, 395 feet here. The . . . — Map (db m115470) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — F-105D • “Thunderchief”Republic
Near Rosamond Boulevard 10 miles east of California Route 14, on the right when traveling east.
The YF-105 completed its maiden flight at Edwards AFB in October 1955, easily exceeding Mach One, even though it was powered by a J57 engine - much less powerful than its projected power plant, the J75. The D-model “Thud” added water . . . — Map (db m115494) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — F-106B • “Delta Dart”Convair
On Rosamond Boulevard 10 miles east of California Route 14, on the right when traveling east.
The F-106 Delta Dart had a long and illustrious career at Edwards AFB. The prototype A-model made its first flight here on 26 Dec 56. On 15 Dec 59, Col Joe Rogers piloted as F-106 A to a world speed record of 1,525.695 mph (Mach 2.41) here. In Apr . . . — Map (db m115495) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — F-111A - "Aardvark"General Dynamics
Near South Rosamond Boulevard, on the left when traveling north.
The F-111A was the world’s first production variable-sweep wing fighter. It completed its maiden flight on 21 December 1964, at Carswell AFB, Texas. The aircraft could exceed twice the speed of sound (Mach 2) by sweeping its wings rearward while in . . . — Map (db m115102) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — F-16B"Fighting Falcon"
Near Popson Avenue near Wolfe Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
When first flown at Edwards AFB on January 20, 1974, the YF-16 was the most advance fighter in the world. The F-16B is a combat-capable two-seat version of the production F-16A. To date, over 4,000 F-16s have been manufactured worldwide and 122 B . . . — Map (db m115097) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — F-8 DFBW
Near Lilly Avenue at Walker Avenue.
For the Digital Fly-By-Wire project, NASA technicians replaced cables and push rods in this F-8 Crusader with an electronic flight-control system coupled to a digital computer. The computer interpreted the pilot's control inputs and transmitted them . . . — Map (db m128305) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — F-8 Digital Fly-By-Wire Aircraft
On Lilly Avenue at Walker Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Lilly Avenue.
This research aircraft was the first airplane to fly using a digital fly-by-wire electronics flight-control system with no mechanical backup system. The initial system utilized components from the Apollo spacecraft guidance and control system. . . . — Map (db m128306) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — F-8 Supercritical Wing Aircraft
On Lilly Avenue, on the left when traveling south.
Marker 1: This research aircraft was the first airplanes to demonstrate the transonic performance capabilities of a supercritical wing. This airplane demonstrated a drag-rise Mach number of 0.96 at cruise lifting conditions. The resulting . . . — Map (db m121503) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — F-84F - "Thunderstreak"Republic
Near South Rosamond Boulevard, on the left when traveling north.
The Republic YF-84F prototype (a modified F-84E straight-wing officially designated YF-96A) completed its hour-long first flight at Edwards in June 1950. The first flight of the revised F-model prototype, with its distinctly deeper fuselage profile, . . . — Map (db m115103) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — F-86F"Sabre"
On Popson Avenue near Wolfe Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
The F-86, the Nation’s first swept-wing jet fighter, made its initial flight at what is now Edwards AFB on October 1, 1947. The first production model flew on May 20, 1948 and on September 15, 1948 an F-86A streaked to a world-record 670.9 mph. . . . — Map (db m115092) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — First Flight to Break the Sound BarrierX-1 Loading Pit
On West Lancaster Boulevard.
The Bell X-1 was loaded into its B-29 Launch Aircraft from this Pit on October 14, 1947 Captain Charles E. "Chuck" Yeager Piloted the Airplane to Mach 1.06 (700 mph) — Map (db m115115) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — HiMAT
Near Lilly Avenue, on the left when traveling south.
This Highly Maneuverable Aircraft Technology demonstrator, the second of two built, was designed to test technologies that would improve the maneuverability of future U.S. fighters. NASA, the Air Force Flight Dynamics Laboratory, and Rockwell . . . — Map (db m128311) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — HL-10Lifting Body
On Lilly Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Flown 37 times by NASA's Flight Research Center, Edwards Air Force Base, California First Flight December 22, 1966 Final Flight July 17,1970 Maxium Speed and Altitude Records for Lifting Bodies Held By The HL-10: Mach 1.86 (1228 . . . — Map (db m139901) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — Jackie Cochran"F-104 Starfighter Record Setter"
On West Popson Avenue.
During her extraordinary 40-year flying career, aviation pioneer Jacqueline "Jackie" Cochran established more speed, altitude and distance records than any other pilot, male or female, in aviation history. While flying a USAF F-86A Sabre here at . . . — Map (db m115116) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — Leaps in Technology
Near Popson Avenue near Wolfe Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
The United States Air Force has always relied upon the application of leading-edge technologies to fulfill its mission of airpower projection. From the XP-59 of 1942 to the B-2, C-17, and F-22 of today, the Flight Test Center has been essential to . . . — Map (db m115095) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — Lockheed F-104
On Lilly Avenue at Walker Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Lilly Avenue.
NASA Dryden operated a fleet of F-104 Starfighters between 1956 and 1994. These were used as chase aircraft, for pilot training and proficiency, and to practice X-15 approaches and landings. They were also configured to carry flight-test fixtures . . . — Map (db m128308) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — Lockheed SR-71A Blackbird
On Lilly Avenue at Walker Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Lilly Avenue.
Marker 1: The SR-71 Blackbird served NASA as a high-speed, high-altitude research aircraft capable of attaining altitudes above 85,000 feet with a cruising speed up to Mach 3.32 (2,193 mph). To enable it to withstand high temperatures . . . — Map (db m128309) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — N.F.-11 (T.T.-20) - “Meteor”Gloster Aircraft
Near South Rosamond Boulevard, on the left when traveling north.
The Meteor was Britain’s first operational jet aircraft and the only operational Allied jet to see service in World War II. The prototype, designated G.41, completed its first flight in March 1943 under the power of two de Havilland H-1 turbojets. . . . — Map (db m115104) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — NF-15B
On Lilly Avenue at Walker Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Lilly Avenue.
In 1993 Dryden acquired the NF-15B, a two-seat jet fighter that had undergone significant modifications including the addition of canards and a pair of thrust-vectoring nozzles. Dryden engineers used the aircraft as a test bed for research on . . . — Map (db m128310) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — NF-4C - "Phantom II"McDonnell
Near South Rosamond Boulevard, on the left when traveling north.
The Phantom II, first flown in May 1958, was developed as a fleet defense interceptor for the U.S. Navy. After entering Navy service in 1961, the USAF evaluated it at Edwards AFB to fill a fighter-bomber requirement. In 1963 production F-4Cs began . . . — Map (db m115105) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — PGM-17A • "Thor"Douglas Aircraft
Near South Rosamond Boulevard, on the left when traveling north.
Thor was the free world’s first operational intermediate range ballistic missile (IRBM). It was 65 feet long, 8 feet in diameter and weighed 105,000 pounds. Douglas Aircraft was the prime contractor. The missile utilized a single stage North . . . — Map (db m115106) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — Sound Barrier Cracked
On Rosamond Boulevard at Yeager Boulevard, on the right when traveling south on Rosamond Boulevard.
On October 14, 1947 42,000 feet above this monument, Captain Chuck Yeager, USAF, piloting a Bell X-1 rocket airplane named Glamorous Glennis, became the first person to exceed Mach 1. With this flight, the era of supersonic aviation was born. . . . — Map (db m115088) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — T-28B - "Trojan"North American
Near South Rosamond Boulevard, on the left when traveling north.
The T-28B was originally developed as a U.S. Navy basic trainer and completed its maiden flight on 6 April 1953. Nearly 500 were built. Early models of the Trojan were tested at Edwards beginning shortly after the plane’s first flight in 1949. A . . . — Map (db m115107) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — T-33A “Shooting Star”Lockheed
Near South Rosamond Boulevard, on the left when traveling north.
The two-seat T-33 was developed from the single-seat F-80 fighter by lengthening the fuselage slightly more than three feet to accommodate a second cockpit. It was originally designated TF-80C and made its first flight in March 1948. It quickly . . . — Map (db m115108) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — TF-102A • “Delta Dagger”Convair
On Rosamond Boulevard 10 miles east of California Route 14, on the right when traveling east.
The F-102 was developed from the Convair XF-92 delta wing research aircraft of the late 1940s and the prototype made its initial flight in October 1953 at Edwards AFB. It became operational with the Air Defense Command in 1956. At the peak of . . . — Map (db m115469) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — The Medal of HonorIn Memory of United States Air Force — Medal of Honor Recipients —
On Rosamond Boulevard at North Muroc Drive, on the right when traveling north on Rosamond Boulevard.
Main Plaque: The medal of honor is the highest U.S. military decoration awarded to individuals who, while serving in the U.S. armed services, have distinguished themselves by conspicuous gallantry and courage at the risk of life, above . . . — Map (db m115091) WM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — UC-45J - "Expeditor"Beech
Near South Rosamond Boulevard, on the left when traveling north.
The Beech C-45 was the Army Air Force version of the Beech Aircraft Corporation’s Model B-18S commercial transport. The popular “Beech 18” also appeared as the AT-7 and AT-11 bombing and navigation trainers (Navy designation . . . — Map (db m115110) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — X-29
On Lilly Avenue at Walker Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Lilly Avenue.
Researchers flew the X-29 to explore the use of advanced composite materials in aircraft construction, variable-camber wing surfaces, forward-swept wings with a thin supercritical airfoil, close-coupled canards, and digital fly-by-wire controls. The . . . — Map (db m128307) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — YA-10B Prototype number 73-1664Fairchild Republic
Near South Rosamond Boulevard, on the left when traveling north.
Only two-seat A-10 made Fairchild Republic Company’s two-place night/adverse weather A-10 began flight tests at Air Force Flight Test Center at Edwards AFB in May 1979. It was converted by Fairchild from one of six pre-production single place . . . — Map (db m115111) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — YA-7D - "Corsair II"Ling-Temco-Vought (LTV)
Near South Rosamond Boulevard, on the left when traveling north.
The Corsair II was designed to meet a 1963 Navy requirement for a light attack plane to replace the A-4. The Navy’s A-7A made its first flight in September 1965. Two months later, the Air Force settled on the A-7 as a low-cost way to provide . . . — Map (db m115113) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — YC-15McDonnell Douglas
On Rosamond Boulevard 10 miles east of California Route 14, on the right when traveling east.
Two built by McDonnell Douglas (now Boeing) as Advanced Medium STOL Transport (AMST) with Short Take Off and Landing ability. First flight 26 Aug 1975, landing at Edwards AFB. Pioneered supercritical wing on large aircraft; advanced airlift state . . . — Map (db m115466) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — YF-100A “Super Sabre”North American
On Rosamond Boulevard 10 miles east of California Route 14, on the right when traveling east.
The F-100 was the USAF’s first operational aircraft capable of flying faster than the speed of sound (760 mph) in level flight. The prototype YF-100A made its initial flight on 25 May 1953 and the first production aircraft was completed in October . . . — Map (db m115496) HM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — Battle of Nu’uanu – Uniting the Islands
On Nuuanu Pali Drive, on the left when traveling north.
In the late 1700s, Kamehameha I from the island of Hawai’i, sought to unite all the Hawaiian islands under one rule. The battle for O’ahu began with the arrival of his forces at Waikiki in 1795. O’ahu had been defeated by Maui forces a decade . . . — Map (db m73557) HM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — 5 — Duke Paoa KahanamokuAugust 24, 1890 - January 22, 1968
On Kalakaua Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
Raised in Waikiki, Duke was a full blooded Hawaiian, who symbolized Hawai'i to millions of people. He developed into an Olympic Champion and the world's fastest swimmer. Between 1912 and 1932 he won three gold medals, two silver and a bronze in four . . . — Map (db m73257) HM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, USN
On Cowpens Street, on the left when traveling north.
He was aggressive in war without hate; he never forgot that he was dealing with human beings, on both sides of the conflict. (E.R. Potter, 1976) Born to Frederickburg, Texas in 1885, Chester W. Nimitz was accepted into the United States naval . . . — Map (db m73127) HM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — HelumoaWaikiki Historic Trail
On Beachwalk, on the right when traveling south.
Surrounded by this open landscape, one can imagine the huge coconut grove known as Helumoa. Planted by Chief Kakuhihewa around the 15th century, the grove once had nearly 10,000 trees. Kahuamokomoki was an area nearby that served as a sporting . . . — Map (db m73416) HM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — Iolani PalaceIolani Hale
On South King Street, on the right when traveling south.
'Iolani Palace is a living restoration of the offical royal residence for the Kalakaua Dynasty that ruled the Kingdom of Hawai'i from 1874 to 1893. King Kalakaua, who resigned for 17 years, built the palace in 1882 as a symbol of Hawaii's civilized . . . — Map (db m74148) HM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — 15 — Kãlia FishpondsDiamond Head from Waikiki Annex Pond — Waikiki Historic Trail —
On Kaila Road, on the left when traveling west.
Had you walked across this road in 1897 you might have landed in Waikĩkĩ’s largest fishpond, the Ka’ihikapu, which measured 13 acres. All of today’s Fort DeRussy on the mauka (toward the mountain) side of the road was covered with . . . — Map (db m73113) HM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — Kawaiaha'o Church(The Stone Church)
On Punchbowl Street, on the left when traveling east.
Built of gaint coral slabs, hewn from ocean reefs, this sanctuary became known as The Stone Church. This structure was preceded by a succession of four thatched grass buildings which served as houses of worship until ground was broken in 1837. . . . — Map (db m74145) HM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — Kawaiaha'o LandmarkThe water of Ha'o...
On Punchbowl Street, on the left when traveling east.
In the middle of an otherwise dry and barren plane, existed a sacred spring on these grounds, reserved for use by high chiefs and chiefesses only. Legend tells us that among the high ranking who enjoyed the privilege of bathing in the large circular . . . — Map (db m74144) HM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — National Soaring Museum
On Nuuanu Pali Drive, on the right when traveling north.
An International Soaring Record was established here on December 18, 1931. William A. Cocke Jr. remained aloft in a glider called the Nighthawk for 21 hours 34 minutes. A new U.S. and World Endurance Record for motorless fight. Cocke’s . . . — Map (db m73556) HM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — Pali Road
On Nuuanu Pali Drive, on the left when traveling north.
Constructed in 1897 and opened for the public traffic in 1898. The road has an average grade of eight percent and is 8800 feet long. The original survey was made by John H. Wilson under supervision of William E. Rowell Superintendent of Public . . . — Map (db m73555) HM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — Pali Road – From Trail to Highway
On Nuuanu Pali Drive, on the right when traveling north.
In the early 1800s, you had two choices if you wanted to travel between Honolulu and Windward O’ahu. You could take a canoe trip around the southern end of the island or hike over the steep cliffs of the Ko’olau mountains. The pali (cliff) . . . — Map (db m73554) HM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — 4 — Prince Jonah Kuhio Kalaniana’ole1871-1922
On Kalakaua Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
Prince Jonah Kuhio Kalaniana’ole, the son of High Chiefess Kekaulike Kinoiki II and High Chief David Kahalepouli Pi’ikoi, was born on March 26, 1871 at Ho’ai, Kaua’i. His mother died soon after his birth and he and his two older brothers were hanai . . . — Map (db m73117) HM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — Reverend James KekelaKekela O Ka Lani
On Punchbowl Street, on the left when traveling east.
Born in 1824 at Mokuleia Oahu Educated by James Hunnewell at Lahainaluna First Hawaiian Christian Minister Ordained at Kahuku December 21 1849 In 1853 he went as a pioneer missionary to the Marquesas . . . — Map (db m74147) HM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — 1 — The Beaches of WaikikiWaikiki Historic Trail
On Kalaukaua Ave, on the left when traveling west.
Princess Lili’uokalani enjoyed spending time with Robert Louis Stevenson on Waikiki in “earnest conversation”, Feb 3, 1889 This section of Waikikik Beach contains four distinct areas: Outrigger Canoe Club, San Souci, Kapi’olani Park . . . — Map (db m73122) HM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — 10 — The First Lady of Waikiki
On Kalakaua Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
The Moana Hotel opened on March 11, 1901 as Waikiki’s first hotel. Affectionately called “The First Lady of Waikiki,” this iconic resort embraces true Hawaiian hospitality. Walter Chamberlain Peacock, the original owner of the Moana . . . — Map (db m73114) HM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — 6 — The Stones Of LifeNa Pohaku Ola Kapaemahu A Kapunt
On Kalaukaua Ave, on the left when traveling west.
Legend says these stones are the living legacy of four powerful Tahitian healers who once resided near this site at a place called Ulukon. From the court of the Tahitian chief, the names of the four were Kapaemahu, Kapuani, Kinohi, and Kahaloa. They . . . — Map (db m73116) HM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — This Sacred SiteWorld War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument
Near Pearl Harbor.
This memorial honors the fallen crew of USS Arizona and all those who died in the attack on December 7, 1941. The remains of over 900 Arizona crewman rest beneath you within the sunken battleship. Just ahead is an open area where you . . . — Map (db m73230) HM WM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — Victoria Kawekiu F Lunalilo Kalaninuiahilapalapu Ka’iulani Cleghorn1875-1899
On Kuhio Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
Born to Chiefess Miriam Kapili Likelike (sister to King Kalākaua and Queen Lili’uokalani) and Governor Archibald Scott Cleghorn. She was the only child born to the last ruling dynasty of the Hawaiian Kingdom. Princess Ka’iulani and her . . . — Map (db m73229) HM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — 2 — WaikikiWaikiki Historic Trail
On Kalaukaua Ave, on the left when traveling west.
Waikiki means “spouting water” because it was a vast marshland fed by many streams. You are in fact standing on what was the mouth of an old stream, the Kuekaunahi. From ancient times Waikiki has been a popular surfing spot which is one . . . — Map (db m73119) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Jean — The Arrowhead Trail Highway
On Main Street, on the left when traveling west.
The first automobile road to connect Los Angeles and Las Vegas was the Arrowhead Trail Highway. Planned, promoted and built beginning in the second decade of the twentieth century, this was one of the named interstate highways of the Good Roads . . . — Map (db m103380) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 13 — "Bugsy"Nevada Celebrates Filmmaking
Near Las Vegas Boulevard South, on the right when traveling north.
Flashy end-credit sequence filmed here at the Flamingo Hilton Stars Warren Beatty, Annette Bening (1991) — Map (db m53375) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Aladdin's LampCirca 1966 — Neon Museum —
On Fremont Street north of North Las Vegas Boulevard, on the left when traveling north.
Aladdin's Lamp was originally installed in 1966 at the Aladdin Hotel, 3667 Las Vegas Boulevard South. Restored through a generous donation from Richard Schuetz and presented as a gift, with love, to Mayor Jan Laverty Jones and her children: . . . — Map (db m64033) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Chief Hotel CourtCirca 1940 — Neon Museum —
Near South 4th Street near Fremont Street, on the right when traveling north.
The Chief Hotel Court sign was originally installed around 1940 at the hotel located at 1201 E. Fremont Street. Hotel architect was A. Lacey Worshwick. Loaned and refurbished by the Tiberti Family. Installed as part of the Neon Museum on . . . — Map (db m64031) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Nevada MotelCirca 1950 — Neon Museum —
On East Ogden Avenue at North Casino Center Boulevard (Nevada Route 602), on the right when traveling north on East Ogden Avenue.
Opened in 1937 at 5th Street (Las Vegas Boulevard) and Garces, the Nevada Motel was the first auto court in Las Vegas to identify itself as a "motel". In its last years in business it operated in conjunction with the Sweetheart Wedding Chapel next . . . — Map (db m64028) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — The "Bugsy Building"
On Las Vegas Boulevard South, on the right when traveling east.
On this site Benjamin “Bugsy” Siegel's original Flamingo Hotel stood from December 26, 1944 until December 14, 1993. The hotel, which housed 77 rooms, including the notorious Mr. Siegel's “Bugsy Suite” or . . . — Map (db m53373) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — The Flame RestaurantCirca 1961 — Neon Museum —
Near East Ogden Avenue south of North Casino Center Boulevard, on the right when traveling east.
The Flame Restaurant sign was originally installed in 1961 on the roof of the restaurant at #1 Desert Inn Road. Restored through a generous donation from Rich Travis. Installed as part of the Neon Museum on July 8, 1997 Believed to . . . — Map (db m64029) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — The Neon Boneyard Park Sign
On Las Vegas Boulevard North, on the right when traveling north.
Panel one: The Neon Boneyard Park Sign The lettering on a neon sign is often the most memorable design component. The Neon Boneyard Park sign includes hidden reference to this aspect of the grand history of Las Vegas signage. Each letter in . . . — Map (db m71210) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — The Red Barn
On South Las Vegas Boulevard, on the left when traveling north.
The Red Barn opened in 1958 as an antique store near Tropicana Avenue and Maryland Parkway. In 1961 the store was converted into a club that was the first coffeehouse in Las Vegas and a popular hangout among local college students. The Red Barn . . . — Map (db m112138) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — The Wengert Mansion
On E. Charleston Blvd., on the left when traveling west.
The Wengert residence was originally owned by Cyril S. and Lottie Wengert. Built in 1938, this Tudor Revival home was designed by Architect, H. Clifford Nordstrom, and was amongst the largest in Las Vegas. Prominent in Las Vegas social and business . . . — Map (db m114796) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Milan — Edison Recalls Milan
On East Edison Drive, on the right when traveling south.
My recollections of Milan are somewhat scanty as I left the town when I was not quite seven years old. I remember the wheat elevators on the canal, and Gay shipyard; also the launching of new boats, on which occasion the piece of land called the . . . — Map (db m90659) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Milan — Erie CountyAs part of “The Firelands of Ohio”
On N. Main Street, on the left when traveling south.
....had its origin in the Revolutionary War. Connecticut towns were burned in the historic raids of Benedict Arnold and British General Tyron. 500,000 acres in the Western Reserve were awarded by the Connecticut Assembly in 1792 to indemnify the . . . — Map (db m90656) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Milan — Milan
On N. Main Street, on the left when traveling south.
Birthplace of Thomas A. Edison, February 11, 1847. A Moravian village, Peguotting, 1804-1809. First permanent white settlers came in 1816. Milan village platted, 1817; incorporated February 23, 1833. Ships canal to lake completed July 4, 1839 made . . . — Map (db m90658) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 3-22 — Cholera Cemetery / In Honor of the DoctorsIn Honor of the Doctors
On Harrison Street north of Jefferson Street, on the left when traveling north.
Marker Front: Of the city's 5,667 people in 1849, 3,500 fled, and 400 of those remaining were victims of cholera. Most are buried here, some only in rough boxes in a common grave. The scourge came again in 1850 and 1852 but with less toll. . . . — Map (db m79100) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Cooke-Dorn House
On Columbus Ave, on the right when traveling south.
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historical Places" by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m90652)
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Donahue Hardware
On Columbus Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
This Property Has Been Placed On The National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m117808) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — G.A. Boeckling Building
On W. Shoreline Drive, on the right when traveling west.
This building served as Cedar Point's winter offices from 1928 and after for Mr. Boeckling, the entrepreneur who first developed the resort into an amusement park. Because the Bay freezes in the winter, this site offered a convenient location to . . . — Map (db m117811) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 9-22 — Grace Episcopal Church
On Wayne St near Huron Ave., on the right when traveling north.
This building was begun in 1835 and was completed in 1844. It is the oldest church building in continual use in Sandusky and incorporates a portion of the original structure. This marker commemorated the one hundred fiftieth anniversary of the . . . — Map (db m79103) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Hubbard Building
On West Water Street, on the right when traveling west.
Owned by Lester Hubbard, this Romanesque building was built in 1855 and was designed by architect Sheldon Smith who later occupied the 3rd floor. It was home to the Cosmopolitan Art and Literary Association, a national organization devoted to the . . . — Map (db m117809) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Jay Cooke
On Columbus Ave, on the right when traveling north.
Jay Cooke was born on this site August 10, 1821. Financier and promoter of The Northern Pacific Railroad, he sold bonds to finance the Union during the Civil War 1861-1865. — Map (db m117804) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 23-22 — Jury of Erie County Women / Erie County Courthouse
On Columbus Avenue north of Adams Street, on the left when traveling north.
"Jury of Erie County Women, First to be Impaneled Under Federal Suffrage" proclaimed the headline of the Sandusky Register on August 28, 1920. One of the first female Court of Common Pleas juries in the nation was impaneled in Erie County on August . . . — Map (db m79097) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 8-22 — Kilbourne Plat
On Washington Street east of Wayne Street, on the right when traveling east.
Hector Kilbourne, a Freemason and the surveyor who make the original plat of Sandusky (as Portland) in 1816, laid out the streets to form the Masonic emblem. Huron and Central Avenue are the arms of the compass, Elm and Poplar Streets the sides of . . . — Map (db m79104) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 15-22 — Ohio Veterans HomeOhio Soldiers and Sailors home 1888-1979
On Columbus Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Following the Civil War, many of Ohio's disabled and wounded veterans found inadequate provisions for their long-term needs. In response, the Grand Army of the Republic's Department of Ohio lobbied for a state-operated veterans' home. In 1886 . . . — Map (db m79101) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 19-22 — Ohio Veterans HomeOhio Soldiers and Sailors home 1888-1979
On Milan Road, on the right when traveling north.
Following the Civil War, many of Ohio's disabled and wounded veterans found inadequate provisions for their long-term needs. In response, the Grand Army of the Republic's Department of Ohio lobbied for a state-operated veterans' home. In 1886 . . . — Map (db m79102) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 22-22 — Old Perkins Cemetery
On Milan Road, on the right when traveling west.
Using the power of eminent domain, the United States Government purchased 9,000 acres of land in Perkins Township, Erie County, Ohio to build the Plum Brook Ordnance Plant in 1941, displacing many families and businesses. This tract included the . . . — Map (db m79099) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Sandusky
On Washington Street west of Columbus Avenue.
Early Indian village of Ogontz; also French & British trading post. 1816 - platted as town of Portland; English version of Indian name, "San Dus Tee," adopted in 1818. First Connecticut settlers arrived in 1817. 1848 - influx of refugees from . . . — Map (db m79098) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Sandusky Aviation, Shipyard & Railroad
On E Water St,, on the right when traveling west.
First Marker Weldon B. Cooke, Thomas W. Benoist, Reinhardt N. Asumus experimented in early aviation from this site 1912 - 1927.

Second Marker One of Sandusky Shipyard Sites Sail and Steamboats were built 1864-1933 Among the . . . — Map (db m90709) HM

Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Shoreline Park
On E. Water Street, on the right when traveling west.
Piers were in existence here as early as 1846. Later three long piers were built by the Baltimore and Ohio Railway for commercial use. Iron ore, grain, lumber, sand, crushed stone and packaged freight were shipped from this point. The B&O Railway . . . — Map (db m90708) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — State Theatre
On Columbus Ave, on the left when traveling north.
Originally, this site housed the West House, a hotel which sometimes sheltered the guards for Johnson's Island, the Confederate officers' prison camp across Sandusky Bay. The building was erected by William F. Seitz and his sons as a complete . . . — Map (db m117810) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — The Hinde & Dauch Paper Company
On W Shoreline Dr, on the right when traveling west.
In 1862 James J. Hinde and Jacob J. Dauch established a baling business to sell straw to paper mills, and in 1886 they became partners in a bankrupt mill on Pierce Street then known as the Sandusky Paper Company. Under their leadership the company . . . — Map (db m90651) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — The Underground Railroad / Abolition Boats Provide an Escape to Freedom in Erie County
On East Shoreline Drive, on the left when traveling east.
Marker Front: The Underground Railroad was neither underground nor a railroad, but a system of loosely connected safe havens where those escaping the brutal conditions of slavery were sheltered, fed, clothed, nursed, concealed, disguised, and . . . — Map (db m79108) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Underground Railroad
On East Shoreline Dr east of Jackson Street, on the left when traveling east.
Many homes in Sandusky and other parts of Erie County were stations on the Underground Railroad before and during the Civil War. Residents provided food, shelter, clothing, and transportation to Canada. Harriet Beecher Stowe used Sandusky as the . . . — Map (db m79105) HM
Ohio (Huron County), Norwalk — Huron County Court House 1913
On East Main Street, on the left when traveling east.
This Property Has Been Placed on the National Register of Historical Places By The United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m117803) HM
Oklahoma (Beckham County), Sayre — Delhi
On Bank X Road at Bank 19 Road on Bank X Road.
In 1888 Thomas and Millie Price were one of the first families to settle in this portion of old Greer Co, now Beckham Co. Price built a cotton gin ½ mi. east of Delhi in 1903. The one-roomed Delhi Academy was established in 1921. The Academy . . . — Map (db m54903) HM
Tennessee (Benton County), Holladay — Parker's Crossroads“Charge ‘em both ways” — Forrest's First West Tennessee Raid —
On Interstate 40W at milepost 131, 1.9 miles west of Birdsong Road (Tennessee Route 191), on the right when traveling west.
Late in 1862, the Union army Gen. Ulysses S. Grant threatened Vicksburg, Mississippi. Confederate Gen. Braxton Bragg ordered Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest to sever Grant's West Tennessee supply line, which extended from Columbus, Kentucky, via the . . . — Map (db m118580) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 140 — Bradley Studios
On Music Square East at Music Circle South, on the right when traveling north on Music Square East.
In 1955, brothers Owen and Harold Bradley built a recording studio in the basement of a house on this site. They added another studio here in an army Quonset Hut, producing hits by Patsy Cline, Red Foley, Brenda Lee, Marty Robbins, Sonny James, and . . . — Map (db m59523) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — Colonel John Donelson
On 1st Avenue North 0.1 miles north of Broadway (U.S. 70), on the right when traveling north.
In appreciation of the services of Colonel John Donelson Born in Delaware, 1718. Died in Kentucky 1786. Distinguished in early life in Virginia as a civil, industrial and military leader. Member of the House of Burgesses, iron . . . — Map (db m59376) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — N-13 — Federal Defenses
On West End Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
The hill to the west was a strong point in the system of permanent Federal defenses, started in 1862, which extended to the river on both sides of town. Artillery was emplaced here from time to time. — Map (db m61935) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — John W. Thomas1830 - 1906
On 27th Avenue North 0.3 miles north of West End Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
A native of Nashville. Forty-eight years in the service of the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railway; President for twenty-two years. President of the Tennessee Centennial Exposition, which resulted in securing to Nashville this . . . — Map (db m62864) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — Little Jimmy Dickens1920-2015
On 5th Ave North, on the left when traveling north.
Little Jimmy Dickens first debuted on the Ryman stage in 1948 and went on to become one of the longest tenured and most beloved members of the Grand Ole Opry. His rhinestone-studded outfit, wild novelty hits, and infectious country humor captured . . . — Map (db m117816) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — Nineteenth Amendment To The United States ConstitutionThe Right of Citizens of the United States To Vote Shall Not Be Denied — Or Abridged By The United States Or By Any State On Account Of Sex —
On West End Ave, on the left when traveling north.
How Tennessee Became "The Perfect 36" Centennial Park was the site of several suffrage rallies in the 1910s as suffragist marched from the state capitol to the park. They gave speeches and performances to thousands in attendance to garner . . . — Map (db m117841) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 141 — RCA Studio B
On Music Square West at Roy Acuff Place, on the left when traveling south on Music Square West.
RCA Records established a recording studio in this building in Novemeber 1957, with local offices run by guitarist-producer Chet Atkins. Its success led to a larger studio, known as Studio A, built next door in 1964. Studio B recorded numerous hits . . . — Map (db m81463) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3 — Site of First Store
On 2nd Avenue North, on the right when traveling north.
Lardner Clark came from Philadelphia in the early 1780's with ten horses packed with piece goods, needles and pins. He established Nashville's first drygoods store by 1786, on a site 30 yards east. The building, which served as store, tavern and . . . — Map (db m61938) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 88 — Tennessee Ornithological Society
On Union Street at 5th Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Union Street.
On October 7, 1915, Dr. George Curtis, Albert F. Ganier, Judge H.Y. Hughes, Dr. George R. Mayfield, Dixon Merritt, and A.C. Webb met at Faucon's Restaurant, 419 Union Street, approximately 50 feet east of here, to found the Tennessee Ornithological . . . — Map (db m61939) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — The Parthenon
On 27th Avenue North 0.3 miles north of West End Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
The world’s only replica of the Parthenon, epitome of Greek culture, was the central building at Tennessee’s Centennial Exposition, May 1 thru October 31, 1897. The original temple, dedicated to Athena, Greek Goddess of Wisdom occupied the most . . . — Map (db m81477) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 135 — The Seeing EyeIndependence and Dignity Since 1929
On 3rd Avenue North, on the right when traveling north.
The Seeing Eye, the world-famous dog guide training school, was incorporated in Nashville January 29, 1929, with headquarters in the Fourth and First National Bank Building at 315 Union St. Morris Frank, a 20-year-old blind man from Nashville, and . . . — Map (db m61940) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — Thomas Green Ryman1841 - 1904
On 5th Ave North, on the right when traveling north.
A prominent riverboat captain and Nashville businessman, Thomas Ryman was known for his generous contributions of time and money to the construction of the Union Gospel Tabernacle. In 1904, the Tabernacle was renamed the Ryman Auditorium in his . . . — Map (db m61941) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 44 — Timothy Demonbreun
On 3rd Avenue N, on the left when traveling north.
Jacques-Timothé De Montbrun, born on Mar. 23, 1741, in Boucherville, Quebec, was the first white man to live in the Nashville area. Beginning in 1769, he spent several winters here trading for furs. He served as Lieut. Gov. of Illinois Country, . . . — Map (db m117817) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Piney River Cabin
Near Thomas Jefferson Parkway (Virginia Route 53) at Mitchie Tavern Lane (County Road 1102), on the right when traveling east.
Virginia's virgin forest provided materials for the settlers' most basic shelter. Centuries ago, first growth trees were felled and the wood hewn to form this single-room log cabin in Piney River, Virginia, 45 minutes south of here. The structure is . . . — Map (db m53613) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — The Meadow Run Grist Mill
On Thomas Jefferson Parkway (Virginia Route 53) at Michie Tavern Lane (County Road 1102), on the right when traveling east on Thomas Jefferson Parkway.
Not far from the Tavern, the Michie family owned and operated a mill and general store. At the turn of the century the mill fell from decay. In order to recreate the Michie's Tavern-plantation (which stretched for several miles) Historic Michie . . . — Map (db m53611) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — The Monticello Graveyard
Near Monticello Loop 0.3 miles north of Thomas Jefferson Parkway (Virginia Route 53), on the left when traveling south.
This graveyard had its beginning in an agreement between two young men, Thomas Jefferson and Dabney Carr, who were school-mates and friends. They agreed that they would be buried under a great oak which stood here. Carr, who married Jefferson's . . . — Map (db m80807) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Tobacco Barn ca.1790
Near Thomas Jefferson Parkway (Virginia Route 53) at Mitchie Tavern Lane (County Road 1102), on the right when traveling east.
This barn was once a place to hang and dry harvested tobacco plants. Tobacco was the primary cash crop in early Virginia. Many large landholders, including the Michies, grew tobacco as their principal money-making crop. However, in time, these . . . — Map (db m53612) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Gadsby's Tavern Ice Well
Near Cameron Street at North Royal Street, on the left when traveling west. Reported permanently removed.
Underground ice wells were used in the 18th and 19th centuries to store ice for use during the warm months. In Alexandria, blocks of ice were cut from the Potomac River. Ice was placed in this well through a square opening which is marked in the . . . — Map (db m129196) HM

642 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 442
Paid Advertisement