Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

642 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 242
 
El Camino Viejo Marker image, Touch for more information
By Denise Boose, March 14, 2010
El Camino Viejo Marker
Arizona (Mohave County), Oatman — Arizona Hotel
You are standing on the site of what used to be the ARIZONA HOTEL. In 1915, it was one of seven hotels that existed in Oatman during the early years. The hotel had 45 rooms and numerous baths. It had concrete fire walls and two separate water mains . . . — Map (db m114809) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Oatman — OatmanArizona Territory — "The Ghost Town that refuses to die!" —
World War I was funded partially by the gold out of these mountains in 1912. Oatman boomed from 1910 to the 1920's. Upwards to 8,000 people lived here. Gold mines were closed about 1942. Mines were needed to mine copper for World War II. Blue Ridge . . . — Map (db m119942) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Oatman — Oatman, ArizonaElevation 2700 Feet
Oatman was founded about 1908. By 1931, the area's mines had produced over 1.8 million ounces of gold. By the mid 1930's, the boom was over and in 1942 the last remaining mines were closed as nonessential to the war effort.

Burros first came . . . — Map (db m114819) HM

California (Kern County), Frazier Park — El Camino Viejo
El Camino Viejo (The Old Highway) began as an inland trail prior to 1800. It was originally a refugee route running between present day San Pedro in Southern California to the East Oakland area in the north. It was used by Indians, trappers, . . . — Map (db m116500) HM
California (Kern County), Havilah — 100 — HavilahCalifornia Historical Marker
Gold deposits at Havilah were discovered in 1864. Havilah was the county seat between 1866, when Kern County was organized, and 1872, when the government was moved to Bakersfield. Havilah was an active mining center for more than 20 years, and there . . . — Map (db m51821) HM
California (Kern County), Havilah — Stage Robbery!
The last stage coach robbery in Kern County occurred near here on August 26, 1896. The Kernville stage to Caliente was held-up by a lone gunman on horseback who got $1,700 in coin and gold bullion from the Wells Fargo strong box. He did not molest . . . — Map (db m83415) HM
California (Kern County), Maricopa — 485 — Lakeview Gusher No.1California Historical Landmark
America's most spectacular gusher blew in here on March 14, 1910. Initially 18,000 barrels per day, the flow later reached an uncontrolled peak of 100,000 barrels per day, completely destroying the derrick. This Union Oil Company well produced nine . . . — Map (db m54267) HM
California (Kern County), Maricopa — Maricopa's Jail
This original iron structure served as the City of Maricopa's Jail for 50 to 60 yrs. (From the teens to the 1960's) It primary functioned as a "Drunk Tank." — Map (db m54788) HM
California (Kern County), McKittrick — 504 — Buena Vista RefineryCalifornia Historical Landmark
Eight miles due west of this marker stood one of California's first commercial oil refineries. Between August 1864 and April 1867, approximately 4,000 gallons of illuminating oil produced there was shipped to San Francisco by the Buena Vista . . . — Map (db m78295) HM
California (Kern County), Mettler — 291 — Fages-Zalvidea TrailsCalifornia Historical Landmark
In 1772, Don Pedro Fages, first recorded non-Indian to visit the southern San Joaquin Valley, crossed this spot on his way from San Diego to San Luis Obispo. Near this point crossed Father José María de Zalvidea in 1806, while accompanying the Ruiz . . . — Map (db m54266) HM
California (Kern County), Mettler — 540 — Sinks of the Tejon
Six miles east of this point was the site of the Butterfield Stage Line station Sinks of Tejón. Operating through present Kern County during 1858-61, this famous line ran from St. Louis, Missouri to San Francisco until the outbreak of the Civil War. — Map (db m51679) HM
California (Kern County), Mojave — Convair CV-990NASA Landing Systems Research — Aircraft (LSRA) —
This jet was used by NASA's Armstrong Flight Research Center, Edwards, California as the Landing Systems Research Aircraft (LSRA) in 1993 and 1994 to flight test space shuttle landing gear and braking systems. It was modified with a main landing . . . — Map (db m121448) HM
California (Kern County), Mojave — F-4 Phantom II
Creating sonic booms over Mojave, the F-4 Phantom II could reach speeds of Mach 2.2. It was the last fighter to be flown by pilots attaining ace status in the 20th century. Upon its retirement in 1996, 316 F-4 aircraft were then converted to drones . . . — Map (db m121454) HM
California (Kern County), Mojave — Golden Queen Mine Cart
This display commemorates the Mojave area's rich mining history, which began with the discovery of gold on the Little Buttes north of the present day Silver Queen Road. That discovery by W.W.Bowers was followed by many others in the region, . . . — Map (db m53129) HM
California (Kern County), Mojave — Mojave Air & Spaceport
The Mojave Airport was created in 1935 as part of the Kern County Airport System. The fledgling airport was built to serve gold mines near Mojave. At the outset of World War Two, the airport became a Marine Corps Air Station that trained Marine . . . — Map (db m53126) HM
California (Kern County), Mojave — Rotary Rocket Roton ATVFirst Rocket Powered Vehicle to Fly At Mojave Spaceport — 1999 A.D. —
Far better it is to dare mighty thinkigs...even through checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. Theodore . . . — Map (db m53128) HM
California (Kern County), Mojave — SAAB TF-35XD DrakenSuper-Sonic Jet Trainer — On loan from the National Test Pilot School —
This aircraft was used to train future Test Pilots & Flight Test Engineers from around the world by NTPS here at Mojave from 1994 - 2009. — Map (db m121458) HM
California (Kern County), Mojave — United States Marine Corps Air StationMojave California — 1942 - 1947 • 1951 - 1959 —
In dedication to the pilots, air crews and personnel of Mojave, who trained, served and gave their lives in the service of this country, especially to those who valiantly fought for freedom in the great battles of World War II and Korea. Semper . . . — Map (db m53280) HM
California (Kern County), Mojave — Voyager Aircraft / SpaceShipOne Replica
Left Plaque: The 1/5 scale flying model of Voyager was built by Glenn Dunlap of Cincinnati, Ohio, and donated to the Mojave Transportation Museum Foundation in 2009. The original Voyager, designed by Burt Rutan and built at Mojave . . . — Map (db m53127) HM
California (Kern County), Oildale — Oildale Waits Drilling Company
In May 1899, Thomas A. Means owned the land where James and Jonathan Elwood discovered oil on the North Bank of the Kern River. They used a hand auger under the edge of the cliff checking for oil, and later moved to the top to drill. Oil surfaced . . . — Map (db m64665) HM
California (Kern County), Oildale — Oildale, A 100 Years Ago
This mural depicts Oildale around 1899, from the bridge to the surrounding oil derricks on the hills. Oildale was called "Waits" during the oil boom. To your right is Waits Train Station, on Norris Rd. Several business sprang up, and . . . — Map (db m64663) HM
California (Kern County), Onyx — Onyx Store - 1880
William Scodie, born in 1827 in Prussia, originally moved to Keyesville in 1856 and opened an eating establishment. He relocated to this area in 1861 operating a way-station from his house. Stocking his front room with supplies, he sold to locals as . . . — Map (db m113824) HM
California (Kern County), Randsburg — D.T. Jones - Dry GoodsFirst Adobe Buidling In Town — 1895 Randsburg Centennial 1995 —
In October of 1897 Mr. Jones opened a dry good store in Randsburg. His building was wiped out in the great fire of May 1898, but saved most of his stock by placing it in a fireproof cellar. After the fire he immediately built a new adobe building . . . — Map (db m53854) HM
California (Kern County), Randsburg — Historic Randsburg
Rand Camp began as a tent city, erected by eager miners who rushed to the Mojave Desert following a major gold discovery in April 1895. A year later, the town of 1,500 had been renamed "Randsburg." Saloons sprouted, a U.S. Post Office was . . . — Map (db m53869) HM
California (Kern County), Randsburg — Randsburg Drug StoreRand Mining District Centennial — 1895 - 1995 —
Nicholas N. Miller – Randsburg Drug Store Nicholas Miller, a native of Michigan, came to Randsburg in December of 1896 and opened a drug store a month later. He was burnt out in both fires of 1898 losing $4,000 in the last fire and an . . . — Map (db m53851) HM
California (Kern County), Randsburg — The Baltic Mine Project
Few local miners still burrow underground, lured by the rich yellow gleam of gold. Most gold now recovered from California’s Rand Mining District is microscopic in size, and so finely dispersed that it is invisible to the naked eye. Rock containing . . . — Map (db m53870) HM
California (Kern County), Randsburg — The Commerical HotelMy Place Dance Hall / Orpheum Theater — 1895 Centennial 1995 —
The Commercial Hotel The mining boom of 1922 created a demand for more hotels. To help fill this demand Mrs. Artibe had the Commercial Hotel built in 1922. The lumber for this hotel was finished by the Johannesburg Lumber Company. My Place . . . — Map (db m53856) HM
California (Kern County), Randsburg — The JointSteam Bakery – Randsburg Bakery — 1895 Centennial 1995 —
The Joint Ray and Olga Guyett purchased this building in the 1950’s and established The Joint, restaurant and bar. The Joint has been the center of Randsburg’s social life for over forty years and has the distinction of being the longest run . . . — Map (db m53853) HM
California (Kern County), Randsburg — Whitehouse SaloonDickinson's Saloon — 1895 Centennial 1995 —
The Whitehouse Saloon The Whitehouse Saloon was thought to first open as Whitehouse in the late “Teens” under the management of H.B. “Moses” Elder and his brother Emmett Elder. It was closed down by Prohibition in 1920 . . . — Map (db m53855) HM
California (Kern County), Shafter — 1022 — Shafter Cotton Research Station
The Shafter Cotton Research Station, established here in 1922 by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, developed the "Acala" varieties which were exceptionally well suited to the San Joaquin Valley. The quality of the acala cottons and the marketing . . . — Map (db m52055) HM
California (Kern County), Shafter — 923 — Site of Gossamer Condor Flight
This plaque at Shafter Airport commemorates the world's first man-powered flight to complete the Kremer Circuit, August 23, 1977. The circuit, a figure eight around two pylons one-half mile apart, was completed in six minutes, twenty-two seconds. . . . — Map (db m131044) HM
California (Kern County), Shafter — The Green HotelShafter's First Commercial Building
Built in 1913 by Kern County Land Company to accommodate prospective land buyers for the settlement of Shafter Listed 1989 National Register of Historic Places Supported by California Office of Historic Preservation Grants Restored 1989 by . . . — Map (db m130233) HM
California (Kern County), Taft — History of Taft
As Taft’s first 100 years is being celebrated in 2010, let’s look back to see from where we came. Taft got its start when the railroad laid tracks to Taft and beyond. Siding Number Two was where it all started along the tracks in the vicinity of 2nd . . . — Map (db m54388) HM
California (Kern County), Taft — The FortReplica of Sutter’s Fort — Erected in 1940 A.D. —
Constructed on the basic plan of Sutter’s original fort one hundred years after its erection in Sacramento by that distinguished pioneer Captain John Augustus Sutter. The building of this replica of one of the most outstanding landmarks to the early . . . — Map (db m130655) HM
California (Kern County), Taft — The Fort, Taft
Built of native adobe, The Fort is a replica of Sutter's Fort in Sacramento, originally it was built to accommodate county, state, and federal officers, as well as be utilized as a town hall. The Fort was dedicated on May 22, 1940. — Map (db m54397) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 28 — 1915 Street Dance Mural
A street dance held in 1915 commemorated the first electric streetlights installed in Tehachapi. The site of the dance was the corner of Green and F Street. The building there housed the Masonic Lodge and Post Office in 1915, and the mural shows the . . . — Map (db m53119) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 3 — August Weferling House
Located on the northeast corner of "D" and Green Streets, this house was built in 1880 by August Weferling. The redwood tree in front was planted the day he married his second wife, Luella Duty Weferling (an early Tehachapi businesswoman), in 1905. — Map (db m52801) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 6 — B.M. Denison House & 1880's House
B.M.Denison House - Located on the northeast corner of "D" and Curry Streets, this house was constructed entirely from cedar wood in 1898 by B.M. Denison. He planted the first commercial Bartlett Pear orchard along Curry Street. 1880s . . . — Map (db m52811) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 20 — Beekay TheatreDedicated on the day, December 6, 2008 — City of Tehachapi - Respecting Our Past – Planning Our Future —
Originally opened in 1936, the Beekay Theatre survived the historic earthquake of 1952 and endured a number of façade changes before burning in the 1990’s. The reconstruction preserves the original façade behind, which lies a fully modern theatre. . . . — Map (db m52969) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Cement Production in Tehachapi
Tehachapi has had a long association with limestone and cement due to the naturally occurring limestone deposits in the region. As early as 1877 a kiln in Antelope Canyon was producing 400 to 500 barrels of lime. Throughout the area there is . . . — Map (db m134506) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Duty~Honor~Country
The Sacrifices of few ensured the freedom of many. A grateful community remembers those who served in the Armed Forces of the United States during time of war and peace, whose courage and personal sacrifices defended and preserved our freedom. — Map (db m79895) WM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Early Explorers in the Tehachapi Area
The first non-Indian man known to visit the local Indians in the Tehachapi area was Father Francisco Garces in 1776. He didn’t record much about them other than to record that they gave him food and were friendly people.

In 1826, mountain man . . . — Map (db m134566) HM

California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 8 — Early High School
This house was built by Dr. Russell Peery in the 1890s. It was originally constructed in Cummings Valley for use as a hotel and spa. Later dismantled, it was moved to the present site. In 1928, it was used as a high school, and continued until . . . — Map (db m52813) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Early Settlements in The Tehachapi AreaOak Creek, Williamsburg, Greenwich, Tehachapi
Green Street was named for Peter D. Greene, who came to the Tehachapi Area in 1856, when he set up camp in Mormon Gulch near Tehachapi where he prospected for gold (named after a company of Mormons who had previously prospected for gold there.) He . . . — Map (db m136213) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Early Settlers
California became a state in 1850. Settlers could lay claim to land by homestead, timber, mining and pre-emption rights. John and Amanda Brite were the first permanent settlers in the Tehachapi area, arriving in 1854 from Texas, building a mission . . . — Map (db m134562) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 2 — Errea House
The Erra family occupied this dwelling for 75 years. The structure was built by a doctor in "Old Town" (or "Tehichipa") 4 miles west of Tehachapi between 1870 and 1875. It was moved to this location on log rollers about 1900. It is the only . . . — Map (db m52800) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 4 — First Methodist & Episcopal Church
The first Methodist & Episcopal Church in Tehachapi was built here in 1881. It was later torn down and the present house was built with the wood from the church. — Map (db m52802) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — First Roads and Highway 58
In the early days of the Tehachapi Valley traveling was arduous as there were only trails and wagon tracks, a few toll roads and the stage routes. The road to Bakersfield from Tehachapi followed the current Woodford – Tehachapi Road, curving . . . — Map (db m135039) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 18 — Former Richfield Service Station
The Richfield Service Station was built here in 1921 by Jack and "Doro" (Theodore) Leiva, who operated the station and adjoining cabins for travelers for over 50 years. It was named the Bartlett Richfield Station due to the many Bartlett Pear trees . . . — Map (db m52895) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 12 — Gallinger House
Built by Joe Gallinger in 1880, it was purchased in 1926 by Jim and Lucinda (Callie) Wiggins Brite. Upon Lucinda's death in 1944, the Davis family purchased the house. It was customary to drive sheep and cattle along Curry Street to the railroad . . . — Map (db m52890) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 23 — Hitching Post Theatre
This building was contructed after the 1952 earthquake to house a post office, a department store, an electric shop, a variety store and a drug store. The photo shows the two-story frame hotel (formerly the Old Summit School, which was moved to this . . . — Map (db m52968) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Importance of Water and Creation of Brite Lake
In 1947 the Tehachapi Soil Conservation District was organized to advise the farm industry. It was apparent by the early 1960s that if agriculture were to continue as economic force in the District, additional water had to be found. In the early . . . — Map (db m135047) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 5 — McFarland House & Late 1880s House
McFarland House - Located on the northwest corner of "D" and Green Streets, this house was built in the late 1800s by the McFarland family, who operated a sawmill and box factory in Tehachapi, circa 1890. Late 1880s House - Located . . . — Map (db m52810) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Mining, Gold, Salt and Limestone
In 1859 and 1860 miners drifted into the area from the Kern River Valley. They found gold and silver in the hills and canyons of the Tehachapi Range. In 1876 the Tehachapi Mining District was formed. In 1877, J.J. Hendrickson made a small fortune . . . — Map (db m134560) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — MonolithCalifornia
1906-1914: City of Los Angeles builds and operates plant to make cement for Los Angeles Aqueduct and also constructs town named Aqueduct to house workers and families. 1910: Aqueduct train station and post office are renamed Monolith. . . . — Map (db m52988) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 13 — Odd Fellows Hall
Built as the Odd Fellows Hall in the early 1930's, it was later used as a movie theatre, dance hall and labor union hall. It was once owned by St. Malachy Church and used as a church hall (1949-53). The structure survived the 1952 earthquake intact, . . . — Map (db m52892) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 11 — Original site of the First Catholic Church in 1887
The present, remodeled bank building was constructed in 1936 as the second St. Malchy Church. In the early 1980's the structure was sold to the newly formed Sierra National Bank, which was acquired by the Bank of the Sierra in May 2000. — Map (db m52888) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 7 — Peery House
This house was built by Dr. Russell Peery in 1890. He owned a drug store in Tehachapi and was noted for having developed the "gold cure" for arthritis. It later became the residence of Albert Ancker, a long time banker who was a President of the . . . — Map (db m52812) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 25 — People of the MountainsThe Nuwa Tribe
In this village scene from before contact with the white man, women weave baskets and grind foodstuffs in bedrock mortars. Children play games, as the men make tools and weave rabbit pelt blankets. The border shows more recent members and elders . . . — Map (db m140486) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Ranching, Farming and Orchards
Tehachapi’s early settlers grazed cattle on the abundant grass of the open range until the great droughts of the 1860s & 70s reduced the herds. Herds increased again in the 1880s and large ranches began such as the Hill Ranch, the Tehachapi Cattle . . . — Map (db m134558) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Real Estate Development Since The 1960sGolden Hills, Bear Valley Springs,Stallion Springs, Alpine Forest Park,Mountain Meadows,Sand Canyon
Golden Hills – In early 1960s, the purchase of four ranches in the Old Town area by the Murchison Brothers of Dallas, Texas, became the major development in the Tehachapi area with 5500 acres, first known as Oak Knolls. Boise Cascade . . . — Map (db m135041) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 26 — Red Front Blacksmith Shop Mural
The original Red Front Blacksmith Shop was located directly across the street from this mural. The workers pictured represent many local ranching families. The images in the ovals next to the buildings show scenes from Tehachapi's ranching history. . . . — Map (db m53116) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 22 — Site of Bank of Tehachapi
The first bank in Tehachapi was incorporated on October 11, 1892, in a dry goods store on "G" Street (now Tehachapi Boulevard). The founder and first President of the Bank of Tehachapi ws Isadore Asher, who operated the bank in the rear of this . . . — Map (db m52966) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 15 — Site of the Kessing Building
On this site, the first frame building in Tehachapi was built by Mary and Bernard Kessing. They replaced the original wooden building in 1905 with a beautiful brick building named the Kessing Building, which was destroyed in the 1952 earthquake. A . . . — Map (db m53123) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Tehachapi Airport and Gliderport
On February 16, 1914 Silas Christofferson made the first flight over the Tehachapi range above Tehachapi at an “altitude of 800 feet and was in plain view of the mountain folk who turned out in large numbers to see him pass.” There was . . . — Map (db m134502) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 9 — Tehachapi Hospital
Originally built by Jean Capdeville as a rooming house, it was later sold to Drs. Madge and Harold Schlotthauer in 1934. It was then used as a hospital until the 1952 earthquake. Although badly damaged, no lives were lost in the hospital. The large . . . — Map (db m52819) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 27 — Tehachapi Loop Mural
The Tehchapi Loop put Tehachapi on the map when it was completed in 1876. Before that time there was no rail access across the Tehachapi Mountains. The historic Loop is pictured here, circa 1952, with a trompe l'oeil effect showing damage to the . . . — Map (db m53117) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 1 — Tehachapi Museum
This structure was built in 1932 as the Kern County Branch Library. When a new library was constructed in 1981, the County gave the old building to the City of Tehachapi with the stipulation that it be used as a public building. In 1982 the City . . . — Map (db m52668) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Tehachapi Pass
Tehachapi Pass became the preferred route connecting the Mojave and the San Joaquin Valley after John C. Fremont and Kit Carson passed this way during the 2nd Fremont Expedition in 1844. Situated at the southern edge of the Sierra Nevada, Tehachapi . . . — Map (db m51786) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Tehachapi’s Founding Fathers And Incorporation in 1909
An 1897 Bakersfield newspaper reported 642 inhabitants in Tehachapi and that the town was prosperous. Among the 50 or more businesses listed were 2 general stores, 3 blacksmiths, a grocery and a butcher shop, 2 barber shops, livery stables and feed . . . — Map (db m135048) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 29 — T-Hacha-P Brand Mural
The "T-Hacha-P" logo was taken from an early fruit crate label. The steam powered combine shown is followed by a horse drawn water wagon, with Tehachapi Peak in the background. Jake Jacobsen, a former mayor and civic leader, along with his brother . . . — Map (db m53115) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — The KawaiisuTehachapi's Native American People — Tomo-Kahni State Histori Park —
The first people to inhabit the Tehachapi area called themselves Nuwa, which means “the people.” Known as Kawaiisu by neighboring tribes, they are of Shoshonean stock and speak a version of Uto-Aztecan language. Anthropologists believe . . . — Map (db m134573) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — The Legend of Avelino Martinez
Avelino Martinez was of Mexican, Indian and Chinese descent, four feet-four inches tall and thirteen years of age when he came with a group of drovers to the United States from Sonora, Mexico, searching for his father. He worked as a groom for . . . — Map (db m52918) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 17 — The Muro House
This was the first house constructed in Tehachapi, built in 1877 by Fred Boden. It was occupied from 1895 to 1940 by Mr. and Mrs. T.P. Sullivan. He was the Southern Pacific Roadmaster and was elected to Tehachapi's first Board of Trustees in 1909. . . . — Map (db m52893) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — The Railroad and the Tehachapi LoopEstablishment of Tehachapi – 1876
The Tehachapi Pass played an important part in the race to build the first transcontinental railroad. In the south, construction was stopped at Caliente by what appeared as an insurmountable barrier, allowing the northern route through Donner Pass . . . — Map (db m134561) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — The Tehachapi Museum
City of Tehachapi Respecting Our Past – Planning Our Future The Tehachapi Museum Dedicated On May 22, 2010 Built in 1931 in the Art Deco style, this building originally housed the Kern County Library and was later given to the . . . — Map (db m52829) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — The Women's Prison in Tehachapi - 1932Became California Correction Institution for Men in 1954
In 1933 California’s first women’s prison was established in Tehachapi to provide an environment more conductive to rehabilitation than San Quentin State Prison. Two-story buildings were constructed of reinforced concrete in the French Normandy . . . — Map (db m134503) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 10 — Two 1890's Houses
These two houses were constructed in the 1890's. One structure was built by R.D.Williamson and the other by Fred Boden. — Map (db m52669) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — What a Shock! The 1952 Earthquake
At 4:52 a.m. on July 21, 1952 Tehachapi residents were awaken by an earthquake lasting 45 seconds and registering 7.7 on the Richter Scale (lowered in recent years to 7.5). The quake claimed 11 lives, injured others and left 70% of the buildings in . . . — Map (db m135037) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Why Tehachapi Pass? / Pioneers of the Wind / Hike A Mile or Two - Thousand
First Panel: Wind Development Why Tehachapi Pass? 1) Close to Energy Users The proximity of Tehachapi Pass to the Los Angeles Basin makes it an attractive location for wind power development, as it reduces the length, . . . — Map (db m63166)
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Wind Energy Industry
During the first US energy crises in the 1970s the need for a sustainable and renewable energy was evident and President Jimmy Carter created the first renewable energy program in the country. In the early 1980s the first commercial electricity from . . . — Map (db m135045) HM
California (Kern County), Twin Oaks — Walker BasinPoint of Historical Interest
Walker Basin was on the stagecoach route from Caliente to Keyesville. The Western Confederates were here during and after the Civil War 1861 to 1867. Abia T. Lightner came to the basin in 1858 and took up farming and raising cattle. In 1864, where . . . — Map (db m51829) HM
California (Kern County), Twin Oaks — KER - 008 — Walker BasinPoint of Historical Interest
Originally called "The Park" due to its characteristics, the area, according to the present day historical experts, was named Walker's Basin, sometime in the 1860's after George Walker, its first settler. Early history books indicate, however, that . . . — Map (db m51830) HM
California (Kern County), Woody — 589 — Mountain House
One and one-half miles north of this point stood the Mountain House Station on the route of the Butterfield Stage. Operating through present Kern County during 1858-1861, this famous line ran from St. Louis, Missouri to San Francisco until the . . . — Map (db m95183) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Arcadia — 934 — Santa Anita During World War II
Early in 1942 the US government designated Santa Anita Park for special usage during the war years. Pursuant to Executive Order 9066 signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, from March 30, 1942 until October 27, 1942 the facility was used as . . . — Map (db m128364) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Arcadia — Seabiscuit1933-1947
Won 1940 Santa Anita Handicap to become world's greatest money winner at that time. Owned by Charles S. Howard 1877-1950 — Map (db m52754) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Avalon — Avalon Veterans Memorial
. . . — Map (db m69087) WM
California (Los Angeles County), Avalon — Wrigley Memorial
There are five panels placed at the memorial: First panel in front of the memorial to the right. There is a duplicate panel located at the left entrance of the walkway: Wrigley Memorial is dedicated to the memory of Wm. . . . — Map (db m69075) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Burbank — Big Boy — State of California Point of Historical Interest —
This restaurant was built in 1949 by locals Scott MacDonald and Ward Albert and is the oldest remaining Bob's Family Restaurant in America. It was designed by respected architect Wayne McAllister incorporating the 1940s Transitional design of . . . — Map (db m120721) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Burbank — Burbank City Hall
Burbank City Hall April 18, 1996 This Property has been Placed on the National Register Of Historic Places By The United States Department Of The Interior — Map (db m55763) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Burbank — Burbank Post Office
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historical Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m55762) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Burbank — Burbank's First City Hall
Burbank's first City Hall was built here in 1916. The building housed the offices of the City Council and City Manager, and was also home to the Police and Fire Departments. In 1943, these offices were relocated to the present-day City Hall across . . . — Map (db m57665) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Burbank — Story Hardware
On this site in 1915, Thomas Story with sons Henry and Walter opened Story & Sons Hardware store. Thomas Story was one of Burbank’s earliest pioneers, arriving here in 1877. He opened Burbank’s first livery stable in 1899, and also farmed and sold . . . — Map (db m55761) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendale — Doctors House
The doctors house, a Glendale landmark, is named for the three prominent physicians Dr. G.V. Bogue, Dr. D.W. Hunt, and Dr. A.L. Bryant, and for DR. L.H. Hurtt chemist who made it their home. One of the few remaining residences of Queen Anne Eastlake . . . — Map (db m55764) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendale — El Miradero"A high place overlooking a wide view" — Constructed 1903 —
Known as Brand's Castle Home of L.C. Brand-Pioneer and Prominent developer in Glendale Design by Nathaniel Dryden Historical "City of Glendale California" Landmark — Map (db m56191) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendale — Miss American Green CrossRe-creation of the American Green Cross Monument
Miss American Green Cross was originally dedicated on May 4, 1928 to represent the American Green Cross Society. The early environmental organization was dedicated to the "saving of American's greatest asset-trees". The first chapter of the Society . . . — Map (db m56198) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — 44 — Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel
Built in 1927 by a group of celebrities that included Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks and Louis B. Mayer. Site of the first Academy Awards in 1929. A hideaway for Clark Gable and Carol Lombard. Marilyn Monroe did her first commercial shoot by the . . . — Map (db m125714) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — 37 — The Pig ‘n Whistle
Sidney Hoedemaker opened Hollywood's first family restaurant (that welcomed children) in 1927 and featured rich, hand-carved wood decor. Popular tunes were played on a pipe organ. The Hollywood Glee Club performed Friday evenings. Loreatta Young . . . — Map (db m125716) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — 12 — Warner Pacific Theatre
Built by Warner Bros. in 1928 to be the crown jewel of its West Coast theaters. Sam Warner oversaw construction but died before it was completed. His ghost is said to haunt the building. The Italian Renaissance exterior design theme is continued . . . — Map (db m125717) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — Arthur K. "Kit" MurrayAerospace Walk of Honor
Arthur "Kit" Murray was instrumental in pioneering the techniques of air-to-air fueling and the development of talk-down techniques for landing experimental aircraft. As a Flight Test Pilot at Edwards AFB, he flew programs on the X-1A and X-5, flew . . . — Map (db m66498) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — Col. Robert L. "Silver Fox" Stephens, USAF 
Aerospace Walk of Honor
Colonel Stephens distinguished himself in flight test, flying nearly all of the jet fighter aircraft from the F-80 Shooting Star to the F-106 Delta Dart. He graduated from the Experimental Test Pilot School in 1949. 

Called the . . . — Map (db m79153) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — Colonel Jack L. RidleyAerospace Walk of Honor
The Flight Test Mission Control Center at Edwards Air Force Base is named for Colonel Ridley who lost his life in 1957 in the crash of a C-47 aircraft while serving on the U.S. Military Assistance Advisory Group in Japan. Ridley was a pioneer . . . — Map (db m66504) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — Colonel Jesse P. "Jake" Jacobs, Jr.Aerospace Walk of Honor
Colonel Jacobs received the Legion of Merit for meritorious service as Director and test pilot on the C-5A Test Force. It was at the time, one of the world's largest aircraft. During his 46 years in aerospace, Jacobs logged more than 10,600 . . . — Map (db m66503) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — F/A-18, NASA Tail Number 842
This F/A-18 Hornet (bureau Number 161214) is a pre-production A-Model airplane whose first prototype rolled out of the McDonnell Douglas Plant on September 13, 1978. The Carrier-based Navel strike fighter did not become operational for several years . . . — Map (db m114757) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — Fred Wallace Haise 
Aerospace Walk of Honor
Fred Haise is best known as the Lunar Module Pilot who, in 1970, was a crewmember on the dramatic Apollo 13 aborted lunar mission. Due to an oxygen tank explosion, the crew had to utilize the Lunar Module "Aquarius" as a lifeboat. This mission will . . . — Map (db m69508) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — Henry E. "Hank" ChouteauAerospace Walk of Honor
As Northrop’s Chief Test Pilot for advanced fighter aircraft, Hank Chouteau helped develop dozens of new or modified aircraft, participating in aircraft design, development, test flights and marketing. Chouteau logged more than 7,300 flight . . . — Map (db m66501) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — John A. MankeAerospace Walk of Honor
John Manke was a NASA Research Pilot for more than 11 years and has flown over 4,500 hours. His career was highlighted by NASA research flights to test lifting body aircraft, preparing the way for the Space Shuttle and follow-on space programs. . . . — Map (db m66505) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — John B. "Jack" McKayAerospace Walk of Honor
Jack McKay died in 1975--20 years to the day after his first rocket flight. He had retired from NASA four years earlier, climaxing a 20-year flying career at Edwards in which he become one of the Center’s most experienced rocket pilots. In the 50's . . . — Map (db m66496) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — Joshua Memorial Park Veterans Monument
This monument is dedicated to the brave men and women that honorable served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America in time of peace, wars and conflict. The freedom of this great nation is only possible because of the sacrifice of . . . — Map (db m66336) WM
California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — Lt. Col. Robert G. "Bob" Ferry, USAF 
Aerospace Walk of Honor
Colonel Ferry distinguished himself in helicopters. Although he began his career as a fighter pilot, he became expert in helicopters, where he made his mark in 24 years of flight testing. He has flown 10,800 hours in 125 different aircraft, nearly . . . — Map (db m79154) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — Lt. Gen. James H. "Jimmy" Doolittle, (USAF Retired)Aerospace Walk of Honor
Jimmy Doolittle played an important role in the development of Air Force research at Edwards AFB. He was one of the founding fathers of Systems Command (Air Force Research and Development Command). Through the late 1980's, Doolittle made annual . . . — Map (db m120207) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — Thomas C. McMurtryAerospace Walk of Honor
Thomas McMurtry logged over 11,000 hours of flying time since earning his pilot's wings in 1958. A graduate of the United States Naval Test Pilot School, he flew the U-2, X-246, F-8A, AD-1, YF-12C, F-104, F-15 and NASA 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft. . . . — Map (db m66507) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — Tuskegee Airmen
"....the privileges of being an American" belong to those brave enough to fight for them." Gen. Benjamin O. Davis, Jr. In our tradition of honoring American aviators who have flown into the pages of history, the City of Lancaster . . . — Map (db m53030) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — 658 — Western Hotel
This buiding, erected by the Gilroy family in 1876, this building was purchased in 1902 by George T. Webber, who operated it as the Western Hotel. The Lancaster Chamber of Commerce was organized in its dining room. Between 1905 and 1913, . . . — Map (db m53028) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — Evolution of a skylineLong Beach's history can be seen in its rooftops
In the early 1990s, Long Beach was world-famous as a visitor destination. Hotels and dance halls, trolleys and roller coasters lured tourist to the city. The mild climate and pristine beaches beckoned people to the water's edge. With daily train . . . — Map (db m71543) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — In Their Honor
The Long Beach Navy Memorial pays tribute to the city naval heritage Long Beach's naval history dates back to 1908 with the arrival of President Theodore Roosevelt's 16-ship Great White Fleet. By the 1920s Long Beach established itself as a . . . — Map (db m71545) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — The Lone Sailor
The Lone Sailor Stanley Bleifeld 1984 U.S. Navy Memorial — Map (db m51898) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Bradbury Building
Mining Tycoon L. Bradbury Makes His Mark His name endures in the eponymous town of wealth and horseflesh set against the San Gabriel Mountains, but mining tycoon Louis Bradbury made his loveliest mark on Southern California with the . . . — Map (db m121036) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 170 — Hancock ParkLa Brea Pits
Presented to The Citizens of Los Angeles County In December 1916 by Captain Allan Hancock With a request that the scientific features be preserved First historic reference to the tar pools Recorded in the diary of . . . — Map (db m126874) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Oviatt Building
Paris Exposition Like the jewel-box that it is, the Oviatt Building husbands its treasures within its walls… yet even casual passerby can get a hint of the gorgeousness inside, from just a glimpse of the nymph-crowned gates, of the overhead . . . — Map (db m121034) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Spring Street
Spring Street In Northern California, they panned gold in the mountain canyons. In Southern California, they made gold, in the concrete canyons of Spring Street.Map (db m121038) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — The Honorable Edmund D. EdelmanSupervisor, Third District — Serving from 1974 - 1994 —
Edmund D. Edelman was first elected to the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors in 1974, following a distinguished nine-year career on the Los Angeles City Council and prior public service in Washington, D.C.; Sacramento; and the U.S. Navy. . . . — Map (db m67296) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Malibu — Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo
On October 10, 1542 Famed Spanish Explorer Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo Discovered a large Chumash Indian Village close to the sea at which he first claimed possession of Alta California lands for the King of Spain. He was greeted by the . . . — Map (db m74707) HM
California (Los Angeles County), North Hollywood — Pierce Brothers Valhalla Dignity MemorialVietnam Wall Experience
“Solders rest thy warfare O’er. Dream of fighting fields no more sleep the sleep that knows not breaking morn of toil, nor night of waking.” ~Sir Walter Scott — Map (db m55760) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — A-4AR Cockpit Trainer
SN: 01 Date Acquire: 2004 From: Lockheed Displayed: 2010

The A-4 cockpit trainer was constructed by Lockheed to train pilots in the use of the newly installed controls found in the modified A-4AR Argentina aircraft.

A-4AR . . . — Map (db m115176) HM

California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — F-101 VOODOO Escort FighterGENERAL INFORMATION
Left Panel

Manufacturer: McDonnell Aircraft (later McDonnell-Douglas and The Boeing Company) Production Period: 1957 to 1961 Number Produced: 885 total all sources Production Series: F-101A, B & C, RF-101A, B,C,G; EF-101B, . . . — Map (db m115298) HM

California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — F-104
F-104s were versatile work-horses in NASA's stable of research and support aircraft, accumulating more than 18,000 flights in a variety of missions.

Registered as N812NA, this aircraft is one of three F-104s built specially for NASA for use as . . . — Map (db m122019) HM

California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — MK-20 Rockeye Cluster Bomb Unit
SN: Unkown Date Acquired: June 1, 2008 From: US Air Force Displayed: July 30, 2008

This Units History

Was used on the F-117 program as a test load.

The MK-20 Rockeye is a free-fall, unguided Cluster Bomb Unit (CBU) designed . . . — Map (db m115175) HM

California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — Palmdale School House
Built in 1886 Dedicated to the Citizens of Palmdale. October 16, 1986 On April 10, 1888 the Palmdale School District was formed and this building served as its first school. The school, located near 27th East & Ave R-8, was attended by the . . . — Map (db m53031) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — The Aerospace ValleyThey All Had The Right Stuff
With more than 150 "First Flight" records and numerous milestone in flight, the Antelope Valley has been home to Aerospace throughout the century. These numerous accomplishments include: -Air Force Capt. Charles E. "Chuck" Yeager's breaking of . . . — Map (db m55372) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — The San Andreas Fault
One of the most outstanding geological feautures in California, extending for over 650 miles from Point Arena, North of San Francisco, to south of San Gorgonio Pass. Between twenty and thirty miles deep and more than a mile wide in some locations. . . . — Map (db m138219) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — William J. "Pete" Knight1929-2004 — F-100 Super Sabre —
William J. "Pete" Knight (November 18, 1929 – May 8, 2004) was a combat pilot, test pilot, Astronaut, and US politician. Knight holds the world’s speed record for flight in a winged powered aircraft. Knight enlisted in the United States . . . — Map (db m118711) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — Wright J65 Turbojet EngineCurtiss-Wright
First Run: 1 October 1948

Developed from British Sapphire, the Wright J-65 was an axial-flow turbojet engine produced by Curtiss-Wright under license from Armstrong Siddeley. Curtiss-Wright purchased a license for the Sapphire in 1950, with . . . — Map (db m115174) HM

California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Bonham Alley
Named for Perry P. Bonham, a plumber who occupied 45 West Colorado Boulevard in the Hugus and Bonham Block. Today, the late nineteenth-century masonry buildings are grouped behind a two-story Spanish Colonial facade. Bonham served as a police . . . — Map (db m72695) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Brainard Alley
Named for J.C. Brainard who was a partner in the development of Prospect Park, one of Pasadena's first prestigious residential subdivisions. He was the first President of the Pasadena Board of Realtors (1908) and was an officer of the Home Telephone . . . — Map (db m72644) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Braley Building
Built in 1906 for Edgar R. Braley, an influential figure in early Pasadena. Braley was a well respected businessman who also served as a park, fire, and police commissioner. The Braley Building at 35 South Raymond Avenue was the former site of two . . . — Map (db m71231) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Christensen Alley
Named for the family that founded the Penn Oil and Supply Company in 1903, the First Independent Firestone and Union Oil Dealership on the West Coast. In the early 1930s, G.C. Christensen opened the largest and most modern automotive service . . . — Map (db m72694) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Edwin Alley
Named for General Edwin Ward, a major real estate investor and owner of the Ward Block and the Grand Hotel at the southwest corner of Colorado Boulevard and Fair Oaks Avenue originally named "Grimes Alley" after Charles Grimes whose restaurant and . . . — Map (db m72689) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Electric Alley
Named for the Pacific Electric Railway Company. The now-vanished Pacific Alley Intersected Electric Alley at mid-block. Owned by Henry E. Huntingon, the Pacific Electric System was the largest electric railway in the world, covering Southern . . . — Map (db m72682) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Exchange Alley
Named for the "Exchange Block Building" at 13-27 East Colorado Boulevard whose most important business was the Carlton Hotel, a first-class business hotel established in 1886. On the first floor were Harper & Reynolds Hardware Company and Alexander . . . — Map (db m71145) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Fenyes Estate
Built 1905 Been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m74140) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Fraiser Alley
Named for Dr. J. Carvasso Fraser, Physician for the Raymond Hotel in the 1890s. The Raymond Hotel, perhaps the finest of Pasadena's early grand resort hotels, was located on South Raymond Avenue on Raymond Hill, two miles south of Colorado . . . — Map (db m72693) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Hayes Alley
Named for Orrin Henry Hayes, an early Pasadena Hay and Feed Merchant. His father, W.F. Hayes, opened a family grocery store on South Fair Oaks Avenue in 1881, one of the community's earliest business enterprises. — Map (db m72678) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Hopkins Alley
Named for Casper T. Hopkins, a major proponent for the establishment of a Public Library in Pasadena. In 1880, he purchased the eighty acre "Olivewood Tract" that fronted Colorado Boulevard between El Molino and Lake Avenues. Hopkins served as . . . — Map (db m72685) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Kendall Alley
Named for Bela Otis Kendall, a well-known businessman in Pasadena. During the boom of 1886, he built the B.O. Kendall Company, located at 35 North Raymond Avenue, into a thriving real estate business. Among the noteworthy buildings erected by the . . . — Map (db m72675) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Legge Alley
Named for Charles Legge, a real estate man who came to Pasadena from Iowa in 1875. He donated land for the community's First Public Library, which was built in Memorial Park in 1887. Legge was a director of the First National Bank of Pasadena . . . — Map (db m72642) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Martin Alley
Named for T.E. Martin who build The Webster Hotel in 1884 at the Southwest Corner of Colorado Boulevard and Fair Oaks Avenue. Later called The Grand Hotel, it was the scene of many social events in early Pasadena. — Map (db m72692) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — McCormick Alley
Named for E.L. McCormick, President of the American Bank & Trust Company from 1907-1910. The American Bank & Trust Company, organized in 1905, was located at the northeast corner of Colorado Street and Broadway at 135 East Colorado Street. A good . . . — Map (db m72691) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Mercantile Place
This well-named service road ran behind some of the most important retail merchants that fronted Colorado Boulevard from 1887 to the end of the 19th century. Among the retailers in this block were Hertel's Dry Goods, J.W. Woods (The Druggist who . . . — Map (db m71144) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Mercantile Place
This well-named service road ran behind some of the most important retail merchants that fronted Colorado Boulevard from 1887 to the end of the 19th century. Among the retailers in this block were Hertel's Dry Goods, J.W. Woods (The Druggist who . . . — Map (db m71234) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Mills Place
Named for Alexander Fraser Mills, a nurseryman who planted a citrus grove on 7 1/2 acres at the northwest corner of Colorado Boulevard and Fair Oaks Avenue in 1878. Mills Place was originally named "Ward Alley." In 1885, a fire at this site . . . — Map (db m72687) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Pacific Alley
Named for the Pacific Electric Railway Company owned by Henry E. Huntington. The Pacific Electric System was the largest Electric Railway in the world, covering southern California with over 1,100 miles of track. By 1906, Pasadena was served by . . . — Map (db m72684) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Pasadena City Hall1902-1931
In 1902 Pasadena erected their first City Hall on this side, C.H. Brown designed the two story masonry building and the firm of Dawson & Eldridge constructed the building for $36,532. The building was dedicated on November 19, 1902 and remained . . . — Map (db m71139) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Pasadena Public Library(1890-1927)
The stone memorial on this site represents the only remaining portion of the second Pasadena Public Library, an impressive castle-like structure built in the Romanesque architectural style. Designed by Pasadena architect, Harry Ridgeway, the . . . — Map (db m71141) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Pasadena Robinson MemorialJackie and Mack Robinson — Bronze Scultpures, 9 ft by 6 ft by 7 ft, 2,700 lbs each —
The Pasadena Robinson Memorial sculptures were created through a community effort spearheaded by the Board of Directors of Pasadena Robinson Memorial and the City of Pasadena. The monumental bronze portraitures of Mack and Jackie Robinson focus on . . . — Map (db m71143) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Plotkin Alley
Named in 2010 for James Plotkin, the "Unoffical Mayor of Old Pasadena", and a well known businessman and community leader dedicated to the revitalization of Old Pasadena. As a founding member of the Pasadena Central Improvement Association, Plotkin . . . — Map (db m72681) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Vietnam Veterans MemorialCity of Pasadena
We remember those who gave their lives and those who remain missing. Vernon Brackins * Bruce Brogoitti * James Carter * David Cash * Dale Chamberlain * Michael D'Aiello * Walter Davis * Timothy Duncan * Mark Enari * James Fullerton * Charles . . . — Map (db m71146) WM
California (Los Angeles County), San Gabriel — 1776 Overland Immigration Expedition
In January of 1776, San Gabriel Mission was host to trailblazer Colonel Juan Bautista De Anza and over 200 colonists and soldiers, enroute from Sonora, Mexico, to become the first residents of San Francisco. This was the first overland immigration . . . — Map (db m67294) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Gabriel — Bovard - Wilson - Hayes House and Jail
The Victorian house was built in 1887 for Revered George Finley Bovard who later became the fourth President of the University of Southern California. Milton Scott Wilson purchased the house in 1893. He served as Justice of the Peace for the San . . . — Map (db m116134) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Gabriel — Early CaliforniaOutdoor Mural by — Artist Donald "Putt" Putman —
The 72 foot mural depicts life in early California with scenes of Native Americans, Francisan Padres and Senoritas. It was painted over a period of three months. Images projected against the wall at night provided the basic outline necessary to . . . — Map (db m67295) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Gabriel — Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza
Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza by decree of Carlos III of Spain led an expedition to this site - the mission being to colonize the San Francisco Bay Area. De Anza Expedition 1775 - 1776 — Map (db m67293) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Gabriel — Mission San Gabriel Archangel / El Camino Real Door
Founded September 8, 1771, by Franciscan Friars on Rio Temblores - due to flooding, the expedition moved to this 2nd site in 1774, where the Old Mission of stone and red brick was built with the help of Gabrieleno Indians. . . . — Map (db m66721) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Gabriel — Old Spanish Trail1829-1848
The Old Spanish Trail was an historic pack trail connecting Santa Fe to the pueblo of Los Angeles. Travelers from Santa Fe aimed for the San Gabriel Mission as a welcome destination and gathering place. Traders brought woolen goods from New Mexico . . . — Map (db m66587) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Gabriel — 158 — San Gabriel Mission
San Gabriel Mission was founded by Fr. Pedro Benito Cambon (statue above right) and Fr. Angel Fernandez de la Somera (statue above left) on Sept. 8, 1771 in nearby Montebello by the Rio Hondo River, and moved to this location in 1775. This . . . — Map (db m139099) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Gabriel — San Gabriel Veterans War Memorial
Be it known by all who read these words that this Veterans War Memorial is dedicated to those men and women from San Gabriel who so gallantly served their country in times of national peril. City of San Gabriel 50th Anniversary Seal . . . — Map (db m66584) WM
California (Los Angeles County), San Gabriel — The Mission Playhouse
The Mission Playhouse, now the San Gabriel Civic Auditorium, was built by John Steven McGroaty to present his epic Mission Play. The play told the story of the California Missions and the lives of the people around them. Beginning in 1912, it . . . — Map (db m66583) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — World War II Memorial: Propeller from Heavy Cruiser U.S.S. Canberra CA-70/CAG-2Dedicated to the Gallant Men and Ships of the United States Navy
This exhibit made possible by the following firms and individuals: Propeller donated State of California, Dep't. of Education - pedestal design, Robert Blake - structural engineering, Moffatt & Nichol - pedestal steel from Todd Pacific Shipyards . . . — Map (db m71833) WM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — Rapp’s Saloon
This building, the first brick structure in the city, was erected in October 1875 as a tavern by William Rapp. Known as Rapp's Saloon, it served as the town hall from May 1887 to January 1889. Designated as a landmark on August 20 1975 Santa . . . — Map (db m82035) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — Santa Monica PierSanta Monica Landmark
The Santa Monica Pier was built in phases between 1908 and 1916. It originally consisted of a Municipal Pier for strolling and fishing and a Pleasure Pier for amusements. The Hippodrome was constructed in 1916 to house the Pleasure Pier's carousel, . . . — Map (db m119675) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — The Santa Monica Pier Carousel
The Hippodrome (also known as the "Carousel Building") was built in 1916 by famous carousel carver Charles I.D. Looff. Its unique combination of Byzantine, Moorish, and California design made it easily identifiable among the festive, eclectic . . . — Map (db m119676) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — 753 — The San Fernando Pioneer Memorial Cemetery
This Cemetery, earlier known as Morningside Cemetery, is the oldest non-sectarian cemetery in San Fernando Valley. It was used from the early 1800's until 1939. It was legally abandoned in 1959. In this same year Mrs. Nellis S. Noble donated the . . . — Map (db m54544) HM
California (Mono County), Bodie — James Stuart Cain
Pioneer banker and mining man born in 1854 and moved to Carson City, Nevada, in 1875. Shortly thereafter he and Martha D. Wells of nearby Genoa were married and moved to Bodie where he engaged in lumber, freighting, banking, and mining operations. . . . — Map (db m54786) HM
California (Monterey County), Carmel — Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista De Anza
Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista De Anza by decree of Carlos III of Spain. Led an expedition to this site the mission being to colonize the San Francisco Bay Area. De Anza Expedition 1775 - 1776 — Map (db m83335) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — Kalisa's La Ida Cafe1957-2007
Kalisa Moore, known as "Queen of Cannery Row," was born in Latvia and came to America after WWII. She bridged the eras, opening her gourmet restaurant when most of the canneries had closed. Over the years "Kalisa's" became a bohemian coffee . . . — Map (db m81817) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — La Ida Café
The building historically contained Edith's Restaurant, the model for John Steinbeck's La Ida Café and the character of Wide Ida in The Novellas Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday — Map (db m81954) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — Larkin House
This house was constructed in 1834 by Thomas Oliver Larkin, the only United States Consul in California under Mexican rule, it has been used as a private residence, the United States Consulate, City Hall, and served as Headquarters of General . . . — Map (db m82627) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — 6666 Barn1908
The Four Sixes barn was built by Burk Burnett, an influential and prosperous Texas rancher. It housed expensive horses admired by some of the wealthiest men and women in the West. Appearing much as it did when in use at Burnett’s King County ranch, . . . — Map (db m136052) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — Bairfield Schoolhousec.1890
One-room schools were built to serve the families of cowboys, ranches and homesteaders. Classroom furniture was homemade, and wooden boards were painted black for chalkboards. A bucket of water from a well or stream provided drinks for everyone, . . . — Map (db m135238) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — Barton House1909
Joseph J. Barton believed a new railroad, Santa Fe's Panhandle Short Line, was to run through his ranch property. To capitalize on that, he built for his family a late Queen Anne-style home as the capstone of his planned community named Bartonsite. . . . — Map (db m135418) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — Douglas DC-3/C-47/R4D-6S
Before the U.S. entered World War II, the civilian aircraft known as the CF-3 had already flown over 300 million miles in domestic service. The DC-3 was the only transport aircraft being manufactured in large quantities at the beginning of the . . . — Map (db m135234) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — El Capote Cabinc. 1838
This cabin was built during the Republic of Texas period (1836-1845) and represents the simple architecture of early frontier days. Located in what is now Guadalupe County Texas, it was constructed of winged elm logs chinked with mud from a nearby . . . — Map (db m135409) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — Harrell House1883, 1900, 1917
The Harrell House represents the expansion of a dwelling as the family grew and fortunes increased. This house began as a single stacked rock room in 1883. Next, two box and strip rooms were added to the east side of the stone house. Last the other . . . — Map (db m135419) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — Hedwig's HillDogtrot House — 1855 - 56 —
In Mason County, Texas, near the Llano River, this house was built as two log cabins under a common roof separated by a breezeway called a dogtrot. The limestone rooms in the back were added later. The style of architecture is characteristic of . . . — Map (db m135407) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — Hoffman Barnc.1906
In the early 20th Century, Lawrence H. (L.H.) Jones drove cattle from ranch land in Scurry County to the Texas and Pacific railhead at Colorado City, Texas. From there the cattle were shipped to the Fort Worth stockyards. This barn was built in . . . — Map (db m136245) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — JA Oat Bin/Monitor Vaneless L Model Windmill
(left side) JA Oat Bin c. 1890 This water tank was first used around 1890 in the Griffin pasture on the JA Ranch in Palo Duro Canyon, Texas. It held a reserve water supply for 3,000 head of cattle. Moved to the ranch . . . — Map (db m136050) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — Jowell Cemetery1876 - 1889
Frontier life was hard on young children, and many lived only a short time. Such common, present-day illnesses as colds, fever and measles could be deadly to children of the 19th century. The ornate stone tablets note the births and deaths . . . — Map (db m135412) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — Jowell House1872-73
This fortress-style home was built in Palo Pinto Country, Texas, to protect a pioneer family from dangers in the wilderness. After George Jowell's wood cabin was burned by Indians, he designed a home of cut limestone and sandstone with rifle slits . . . — Map (db m135410) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — Los CorralitosThe Little Corrals — c. 1780 —
Los Corralitos was a fortified home in Zapata County, Texas. Made from cut sandstone, mud mortar, mesquite and Montezuma cypress, its walls are 33 inches (one Spanish vara) thick. The single room has one door, no windows and six small gun ports for . . . — Map (db m136044) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — Lubbock Post Office and Federal Building800 Broadway — Built in 1932 —
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m136042) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — Matador Half – Dugout1888
Most first homes of ranches and settlers on the plains were half-dugouts. They were cut into embankments with the door facing southeast to catch cool breezes in summer. Roofs were made of hides, sod, thatch or, in this case, wood shingles. The roof . . . — Map (db m136046) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — Matador Officec. 1880
Nicknamed the "Scotsmen’s Dive," this building began as the guesthouse for visiting representatives of the Scottish company that owned the Matador Ranch. Forty years later, the clapboard-walled house was converted to the business office for the huge . . . — Map (db m136263) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — Old Block Drift Fence1880s
This historic fence ran 80 miles from the west end of the Capitan Mountains to Vaughn, N.M. The only part remaining is in Haspris Canyon on a ranch headquartered near Ancho. The fence kept livestock from drifting into unprotected areas. In "I Rode a . . . — Map (db m135416) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — Old Mail Campc. 1875
This single-door, stacked rock structure with a pole and brush roof was located north of an old military and stageline road in Knox County, Texas. It may have served as a rest stop or way station for U.S. Army couriers in and out of Fort Griffin on . . . — Map (db m135414) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — Picket and Sotol House1904, 1905
Far West Texas offered little as building material. So early homesteaders used the yucca-like sotol plant—tall, woody stalks that grew from the center of the desert plants. Two rooms of the house were built with a framework of cedar posts and . . . — Map (db m136049) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — Ropes Depot1918
The wood-frame depot was built by the Santa Fe Railway in Hockley County, Texas. Railroads were essential to the settlement of West Texas and eastern New Mexico for transporting cattle, people, manufactured goods, supplies and lumber. The Ropes . . . — Map (db m136238) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — 5340 — The Free Range Era of RanchingNorthwest Texas, 1878-1885
After Indians and buffalo were removed in 1870s, several hundred cattlemen with small herds came to rolling plains near site of later Lubbock, to graze free range. Vital natural water sources were found east of the Caprock, where springs and streams . . . — Map (db m135423) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — The PitchforkRanch Cookhouse — c. 1900 —
The Pitchfork Ranch Cookhouse began as a one-room structure. The dining area was added in two sections. Though the exterior walls are covered in modern siding, the original wood plank siding is still intact underneath. The interior walls and ceiling . . . — Map (db m136045) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — Typical Homesteader Cabin
Built in 1883. Shows pioneer way of life -- with the basic room of field stone, for protection from blizzards. Shed rooms attached gave storage and extra room. After turn of century, and better living was possible, owner added 3 rooms, double . . . — Map (db m135422) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — Waggoner Ranch Commissaryc. 1870s
A commissary was used by large ranches to provide supplies for their cowboys and ranch hands. The great distance to town created a need for food and supplies to be bought in bulk. They were then distributed at headquarters and to distant line camps. . . . — Map (db m136048) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — Wild Cow CorralEarly 20th Century
Wild cow corrals were used for catching unbranded, free-roaming cattle in mountainous regions. The one was constructed in high terrian around Capitan, N.M., on the Block Ranch. Cowboys, or "brush poppers," as they were known in rough country, . . . — Map (db m135417) HM

642 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 242
Paid Advertisement