Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1500 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1300
 
The 1st Transcontinental Railroad Marker, Main Plaque image, Touch for more information
By Syd Whittle, March 14, 2010
The 1st Transcontinental Railroad Marker, Main Plaque
California (Alameda County), Alameda — 440 — Alameda Terminus of the 1st Transcontinental Railroad
[Center and Main Marker:] This plaque marks the terminus of the First Transcontinental Passenger train that started in New York City and terminated at Alameda Point Pier On September 6, 1869. Erected by the U.S. Naval Air . . . — Map (db m29447) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — 968 — Pan Am China Clipper
Pan American World Airways fabled China Clipper (Martin M/130 Flying Boat) left Alameda Marina on November 22, 1935 under the command of Captain Edwin G. Musick. The flight would reach Manila via Honolulu, Midway, Wake, and Guam. The inauguration of . . . — Map (db m100565) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — The Jimmy Doolittle Pier – Alameda Naval Air StationPier No. 3
On April 1, 1942, sixteen B-25 bombers were hoisted to the flight deck of the carrier Hornet and parked there, while moored at Pier No. 3 at U.S. Naval Station in Alameda. The B-25 detachment consisted of seventy officers and one hundred thirty . . . — Map (db m29431) HM
California (Alameda County), Castro Valley — 776 — Site of First Public School in Castro Valley
This site was part of the original Don Castro Land Grant. In 1866 pioneer settler Josiah Grover Brickell made a land grant of this site for “educational purposes only” and paid the teacher’s salary, who taught children by day, in a one . . . — Map (db m100557) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Amador Valley Hotel(Later the Dublin Hotel)
For 86 years a favorite congregating spot. Built by John Green in 1860, with a balcony over the porch and a gabled roof. A famous cross-roads stop and transfer point on the Oakland-Stockton and Martinez-San Jose stagecoach routes intil the 1890's . . . — Map (db m59944) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Dobbel Family
Margaret Tehan Dobbel, the granddaughter of Jeremiah and Ellen Fallon. She was born in Jeremiah Fallon’s home, Dublin, 1874. She married Julius Dobbel and had 13 children. They raised cattle and sheep at Rice, Camel, Dougherty and Donlon Ranches. — Map (db m26822) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Flanagan Family
John & Katherine Donlon Flanagan from Longford, Ireland came to Dublin in 1868. In 1896 John was blinded, but continued to raise sheep and farm with the help of his wife and 3 girls, Eva, Katherine (Murphy), and Elizabeth (Nevin), who was a teacher . . . — Map (db m26785) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Heritage Park & Museums
This seven acre park is on the site of Dublin's original settlement that was established in 1850. Within the park are the 1856 Murray Schoolhouse, the 1859 St. Raymond Church, the 1880 Kolb Old House, the 1911 Kolb Craftsman Bungalow, the 1870 . . . — Map (db m59946) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Norris Family
It took 6 months for Leo and Mary Jane Norris to come to California by covered wagon. In 1852 Leo purchased 10,000 acres from Don Jose Maria Amador for $20,000 and one white horse. Their lands include most of present day San Ramon Valley. Later, the . . . — Map (db m27669) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Old St. Raymond’s Church1860
The Oldest Extant Catholic Church Building In Alameda and Contra Costa Counties This land was donated as a Catholic site by Michael Murray and Jeremiah Fallon, who was one of the rescuers of the ill fated Donner Party in the Sierra. Tom . . . — Map (db m26701) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Rod R. Fallon
Son of Jeremiah and Ellen Fallon. Regarded with great respect by people of the area for his honesty and integrity. Renowned for his fine horsemanship and proficiency with the riata (rawhide rope), which sometimes was up to 70 feet in length. He . . . — Map (db m26722) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Tehan Family
William born in Kilkenny, Ireland, 1845. Ellen Fallon Tehan, daughter of Ellen and Jeremiah Fallon, was a year old when she came west by covered wagon from St. Joseph, Mo., in 1846. William and Ellen’s marriage was the first in Old St. Raymond’s Jan . . . — Map (db m28612) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — The Green Store
Built in 1860 by John Green this building has been in constant use as a business building. It began as a general store, changed into a neighborhood pub, and now is a restaurant. From 1914 – 1948 the northeast corner of the building was . . . — Map (db m28578) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — Ardenwood Historic Farm / George Washington Patterson Ranch
. . . — Map (db m28825) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — De Anza Expedition 1775 - 1776
Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza by decree of Carlos III of Spain led an expedition to this site – The mission being to colonize the San Francisco Bay Area. In the center of the marker is a circular motif, designed by Doris . . . — Map (db m26666) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — Leal Tank House
Joseph Silviera Leal and Julia Perry Leal built this tank house on their ranch in the Mission San Jose area of Fremont in 1925. The lower floor was a storage room and the upper floor a bedroom. The tank on top stored 5,000 gallons of water pumped . . . — Map (db m29090) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — 642 — Leland Stanford Winery
This winery was founded in 1869 by Leland Stanford, railroad builder, Governor of California, United States Senator, and founder of Stanford University. The vineyard, planted by his brother Josiah Stanford, helped to prove that wines equal to any in . . . — Map (db m100554) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — 334 — Mission San José
At the Ohlone Indian village of Oroysom, Padre Fermín Francisco de Lasuén founded this fourteenth of twenty-one Franciscan missions June 11, 1797. Taught by Padre Narciso Durán, the Ohlone Orchestra and Choir became famous. By 1830 almost 2,000 . . . — Map (db m100551) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — 490 — Mormon Pioneers / Mormon Pioneer Adobes
[Side A:] Mormon Pioneers Mormon pioneers traveled far in search of a land where they could worship God in an environment of religious tolerance. Named below are some of the pioneers who settled in Washington Township. They sailed . . . — Map (db m28707) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — 246 — Pioneer Schoolhouse & Chapel
Approximately one mile west John M. Horner built the first American schoolhouse non-Catholic chapel in Centerville, Alameda County, 1850. Said to be the first Latter Day Saint Chapel in California. A small structure with three windows in the side . . . — Map (db m26629) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — The Chadbourne Carriage House
Thomas Jefferson Chadbourne and his wife Nettie built this Victorian carriage house in the 1870’s. He owned fine racing horses and stock horses and wanted them housed in suitable surroundings. They purchased the property in 1872 from Charles C. . . . — Map (db m28826) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — World War II War Memorial
In Memory of War Heros World War II 1941 Ernest A. Azevedo Joseph T. Silveira Tony Carodza, Jr. — Map (db m26636) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — Hayward Public Library
Don Guillermo Castro, founder of the city, preserved the plaza for the enjoyment of the citizens, and in 1856 conveyed to them ownership of the land forever. This library, originally constructed on the plaza in 1951, and enlarged in 1958, was . . . — Map (db m28774) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — 1025 — Honcharenko’s Sanctuary
Along the ridge behind this panel lies a 52-acre parcel of historical significance. This farmstead known as “Ukraina” was the home of Ukrainian patriot, writer, and publisher Father Agapius Honcharenko. He and his wife Albina lived here . . . — Map (db m26499) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — Juan Bautista de Anza Expedition Campsite #98
Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza by decree of Carlos III of Spain led an expedition to this site – The mission being to colonize the San Francisco Bay Area In the center of the marker is a circular motif, designed by Doris Birkland . . . — Map (db m28815) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — Rancho San Lorenzo
Original site of corrals of Don Guillermo Castro and part of 26,722 acre grant of Rancho San Lorenzo made by Governor Michaeltorena, 1842. Rancho adobe stood on present site of City Hall. Castro’s wife was Marie Luisa Peralta, daughter of grantee of . . . — Map (db m41629) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — The Palmtag Building
This building replaces the two-story Palmtag Building, originally constructed by Leopold Palmtag in 1892. He settled in Hayward in 1860 and served as a town trustee. The building housed various businesses, including a radio station and a drug store. . . . — Map (db m28907) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — 641 — Concannon Vineyard
Here, in 1883, James Concannon founded the Concannon Vineyard. The quality it achieved in sacramental and commercial wines helped establish Livermore Valley as one of America’s select wine growing districts. Grape cuttings from this vineyard were . . . — Map (db m100553) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — 586 — Cresta Blanca Winery
Here, Charles A. Wetmore planted his vineyard in 1882. The Cresta Blanca wine he made from its fruit won for California the first international award, the highest honor at the 1889 Paris Exposition, first bringing assurance to California wine . . . — Map (db m100552) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Duarte GarageBuilt 1915
Service Station and Car Dealership Situated on the Original Route of the Lincoln Highway ———————— City of Livermore Historic Preservation Site Dedicated July 1996 Operated by The . . . — Map (db m19994) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Livermore Southern Pacific Depot
This railroad station having been located about half a mile west of the old town of Laddsville, on land owned by Wm. M. Mendenhall. Established the location of the town Livermore. The first depot was a freight car that was soon replaced by a . . . — Map (db m19993) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Livermore Town Hall Jail and Firehouse
[Upper Marker:] Built 1875, this building was first a hotel then the Livermore Valley Bank. It was the Livermore Town Hall from 1905 to 1957. The jail was in the rear, and to the left the firehouse. It was here a light bulb was lit and . . . — Map (db m19982) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — 241 — Robert LivermoreFirst Settler of Livermore Valley
Born in England 1799 – Died Rancho Las Positas 1858. Arrived in Monterey 1822. Married Josefa Higuera y Puentes 1830. Settled on Rancho Las Positas 1835. “Next to the Mission Fathers, he was the first man to engage himself in the . . . — Map (db m100547) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Sister City Program
“The Sister City Program is an important resource to the negotiations of governments in letting the people themselves give expression of their common desire for friendship, goodwill and cooperation for a better world for all” . . . — Map (db m19970) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Tolliver Airship
Eight miles southwest of this location, in the Spring of 1904, Charles Tolliver built an airship. With an aluminum superstructure covered with 6,000 yards of rongee silk, the craft was to be 250 feet long, 40 feet wide and 44 feet high. Four . . . — Map (db m19968) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — 957 — Wente Bros. Winery
Here the first Wente Vineyards of 47 acres was established by C.H. Wente in 1883. In 1935 his sons, Ernest and Herman, introduced California’s first varietal wine label, Sauvignon Blanc. The efforts of the Wente family have helped to establish the . . . — Map (db m100563) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — William M. Mendenhall 1823 – 1911 / DeAnza Expedition Campsite
[Located at the Livermore Civic Center is a two-sided monument. Side 1 is a marker dedicated to William M. Mendenhall, founder of the town of Livermore. Side 2 is a marker marking this site as a campsite of the Juan Bautista de Anza Expedition . . . — Map (db m19981) HM
California (Alameda County), Niles — “The Bankers Building”A Fremont Bank Building
This building was originally constructed as the Niles Branch of the Bank of Alameda County. Its doors opened on Monday, September 23, 1929. The construction was considered a “new modern building” that would be “a model of . . . — Map (db m24455) HM
California (Alameda County), Niles — Completion of the Transcontinental RailroadNiles, California
“May God continue the unity of our country as this railroad unites the two great oceans of the world.” The gold spike ceremony at Promontory, Utah in May of 1869 united the tracks of the Central Pacific and Union Pacific Railroads. . . . — Map (db m24473) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 925 — Peralta HaciendaBegun in 1821 — Fruitvale History Tour Site
The first known inhabitants of Fruitvale were the Ohlone. In 1820 the Spanish crown gave this land to Luis Peralta, making Peralta Hacienda the first non-native settlement in Oakland. From 1820 to 1897, the family had a rancho at this site. . . . — Map (db m28960) HM
California (Alameda County), Pleasanton — 510 — Alviso AdobeAlviso Adobe Community Park
Built in 1854, the Alviso Adobe is one of the few adobe structures remaining in the Bay Area. Declared a California Historic Landmark in 1954, the building stands relatively unmodified since the 1920s. The adobe was in continuous use from 1854 . . . — Map (db m24616) HM
California (Alameda County), Pleasanton — Alviso Adobe Community Park5,000 Years of History in Seven Acres
[Panel 1:] Pleasanton’s past and the rich stories of the people that have come before can be discovered in the landscape and features of this park. Three periods of occupation trace regional settlement from prehistory to the present day. . . . — Map (db m24685) HM
California (Alameda County), Pleasanton — J. W. Kottinger’s BarnPleasanton Heritage Site - 1852
John W. Kottinger (1819 – 1892) was Murray Township Justice of the Peace from 1853 to 1870. His home was the Seat of Justice for the township; The northwest corner of this adobe barn was used to jail prisoners. A frequent visitor was Joaquin . . . — Map (db m24507) HM
California (Alameda County), Pleasanton — Kottinger’s Barn
John W. Kottinger one of pioneer founders and first Justice of the Peace of Pleasanton constructed this adobe brick barn about 1852. So built that part of it could house prisoners brought to justice in his court. Thus serving as Pleasanton’s first . . . — Map (db m24592) HM
California (Alameda County), Pleasanton — Meadowlark Dairy - The Dairy SiloAlviso Adobe Community Park
At roughly 45 feet high, the Meadowlark Dairy silo was a distinctive visual landmark. This circular paving marks the silo’s approximate location. The original silo and barn were much larger. Silage, fodder for animals, is created by partially . . . — Map (db m24663) HM
California (Alameda County), Pleasanton — Meadowlark Dairy – Dairy BunkhouseAlviso Adobe Community Park
There were once many buildings on the Meadowlark Dairy complex. One important building was a place for the ranch hands and workers to sleep and socialize. This bunkhouse is a smaller version of the one that was at the dairy. The current Foothill . . . — Map (db m24665) HM
California (Alameda County), Pleasanton — Meadowlark Dairy – Dairy Manager’s HouseAlviso Adobe Community Park
These low boundary walls show the approximate location of the Meadowlark Dairy manager’s house. The dairy manager played an important role in day-to-day operations. His house had a kitchen, living room, office and bedrooms. A half-cellar under the . . . — Map (db m24671) HM
California (Alameda County), Pleasanton — The Pleasanton Hotel
In 1864, five years before the first railroad arrived in Pleasanton, John W. Kottinger demonstrated his faith in Pleasanton”s future by building the communities first hotel, The Farmer’s Hotel. The building was purchased by Henry in 1891 and . . . — Map (db m24607) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Casa Peralta
Three descendants of land grant recipient Luís Maria Peralta lived in this home. In 1926, Herminia Peralta Dargie (pictured above) remodeled the home in the style of a Spanish villa. Tiles depict the story of Don Quixote, and adobe bricks saved from . . . — Map (db m26398) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — County Courthouse1868
The Alameda County Courthouse stood here between 1856 and 1868. In 1853 Alameda County was carved out of Contra Costa and Santa Clara Counties. New Haven was its first county seat. The 1854 legislative session moved the county seat to more . . . — Map (db m26418) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — De Anza Expedition 1775 - 1776
Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza by decree of Carlos III of Spain led an expedition to this site – The mission being to colonize the San Francisco Bay Area. In the center of the marker is a circular motif, designed by Doris Birkland . . . — Map (db m26459) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — 279 — Estudillo Home
Site of the last home of José Joaquin Estudillo, grantee of Rancho San Leandro and his wife, Juana Martínez de Estudillo. It was built about 1850. The family founded San Leandro, built a hotel, and donated several lots, including the original site . . . — Map (db m100549) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Historic Daniel & Meta Best Home1886
This home was built in the late 1870’s by Joseph Demont, a San Leandro pioneer who was active in industry and politics. Daniel Best bought the property in 1886. Best established Daniel Best Agricultural Works, which later became Caterpillar Tractor. . . . — Map (db m26380) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Peralta Home – Alta Mira Club1860
This house was built by William Toler for his father-in-law Ygnacio Peralta. It may be the first brick house in Alameda County. Peralta and his brothers established the first Spanish/Mexican settlements in the northern East Bay on the land grant . . . — Map (db m26471) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — 285 — Peralta House
First brick house built in Alameda County. Constructed 1860 by W. R. Toler for Ignacio Peralta, early San Leandro Spanish settler, whose father, Don Luis Maria Peralta, received land grant from Spanish Governor Don Pablo Vicente de Sola, October 20, . . . — Map (db m100550) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — 246 — Rancho San Antonio
Governor Pablo de Solá, last Spanish Governor of California, awarded the San Antonio Grant to Don Luis Maria Peralta on August 13, 1820, in recognition of forty years of service. From this point northward the Grant embraced over 43,000 acres. Now . . . — Map (db m100548) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — San Leandro – Cherry Festivals
West side of marker: San Leandro’s farmers expected a bumper crop of cherries in 1909. Why not celebrate and promote the city and one of its wonderful crops? The first cherry festival took place that spring. The Oakland . . . — Map (db m26458) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — San Leandro – Industry
West side of marker: San Leandro’s first industries served the needs of farmers. In 1886, Daniel Best bought San Leandro Plow and formed Daniel Best Agriculture Works to manufacture tractors, combines, and harvesters. Best’s son . . . — Map (db m26437) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — San Leandro Courthouse Site
Courthouse of Alameda County on this site early months of 1855. Moved here officially on March 10, 1856 by act of Legislature February 8, 1856. Site donated for county purposes by Jose Joaquin Estudillo. Courthouse move to Oakland 1873. — Map (db m26411) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — 824 — San Leandro Oyster Beds
Oysters were the mainstay of the California fishing industry at the turn of the century. Along this site (the original Mulford Canal) the San Leandro oyster beds flourished. In 1892 William Roberts field title to the beds south along San Lorenzo . . . — Map (db m100559) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — The Little Brown Church
This building was originally the Sunday School Annex of the First Presbyterian Church of San Leandro. Built in 1867 and located on Clarke Street. The main church was moved to Ashland and later torn down. This annex was saved by the Historical . . . — Map (db m26396) HM
California (Alameda County), Sunol — Niles Canyon Railway
In 1869, the first Transcontinental Railroad passed this spot on its way to the shore of the San Francisco Bay. In 1984 the Southern Pacific Railroad abandoned this historic line between Niles and Tracy, California. Volunteers of the Pacific . . . — Map (db m63766) HM
California (Alameda County), Sunol — Sunol
Named in honor of Antonio Maria Sunol, merchant, naval man and cattlebarron, who acquired a Spanish / Mexican land grant in 1840. Along with the vast ranching and fertile farmlands, coal and gold were found in the Sunol area in the 1870’s. . . . — Map (db m24495) HM
California (Alameda County), Sunol — Sunol Water Temple
[Main Marker:] California Historic Civil Engineering Landmark Alameda Creek Water System 1888 San Francisco Section A802 1975 [Second Marker:] Restoration of the Sunol Water Temple Started May 27, 1997 . . . — Map (db m24499) HM
California (Alameda County), Union City — 503 — First County Courthouse
The first court house where Alameda County government began, June 6, 1853. Officials met in two-story wooden building erected by Henry C. Smith and A. M. Church as merchandise store. Seat of government moved to San Leandro in 1856 following vote of . . . — Map (db m28910) HM
California (Alameda County), Union City — Flight 93 Memorial
The Story of The Heroes of Flight 93 The events of September 11th, 2001 are forever etched into the hearts of the family members and loved ones of those who died, the Nation and the world. The United States experienced the worst incident of . . . — Map (db m26392) HM
California (Alameda County), Union City — 768 — Site of the Nation’s First Successful Beet Sugar Factory
The factory was built in 1870 by E. H. Dyer, “Father of the American Beet Sugar Industry.” Located on a corner of Dyer’s farm, the small factory began processing sugarbeets on November 15, 1870, and produced 293 tons of sugar during its . . . — Map (db m100556) HM
California (Alpine County), Bear Valley — Bedrock MortarsPoint of Historical Interest
Bedrock mortars were made by Native California Women. The cup shapes were worn smooth by repeated pounding and grinding for use in processing food. Both the Washoe and Miwuk Tribes traversed and summered in this high Central Sierra Region. Although . . . — Map (db m10998) HM
California (Alpine County), Bear Valley — Harry SchimkePioneer in His Own Time — 1917 – 1995
Through his life’s dreams and efforts. Thousands enjoy skiing, good water, scenic meadows and preservation of Bear Valley’s natural beauty. In Appreciation — Map (db m10965) HM
California (Alpine County), Bear Valley — Old Emigrant Road
This Sierra Crossing used by Jedediah Smith 1821 - Major John Ebbetts 1850 - Snowshoe Thompson 1856-76 - Gold Seekers 1850's. Old road left Carson Pass Road in Hope Valley, crossed Border Ruffian Pass to Hermit Valley, Pacific Summit and through . . . — Map (db m10730) HM
California (Alpine County), Bear Valley — Reynold’s HousePoint of Historical Interest
About 200 yards offshore, in what was once Silver Valley lies the Reynold’s House. This house appears on an 1878 General Land Office map and was probably one of the many road houses along the route that catered to tourists and travelers. Reynold’s . . . — Map (db m10999) HM
California (Alpine County), Kirkwood — First Summit
Below this ridge is what some pioneers dubbed the “Devils Ladder.” A name reflecting the steepness and extreme difficulty that pioneers experienced as they began their ascent over the Sierra Nevada. This climb was usually referred to as . . . — Map (db m21284) HM
California (Alpine County), Kirkwood — Kirkwood's
This building has been the pioneer home of the Kirkwood and Taylor families since it was built by Zachary Kirkwood in 1864. This building was one of the first resorts operated in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. — Map (db m100580) HM
California (Alpine County), Kirkwood — 315 — Kit Carson
On this spot, which marks the summit of the Kit Carson Pass, stood what was known as the Kit Carson Tree on which the famous scout Kit Carson inscribed his name in 1844 when he guided the then Captain John C. Fremont, head of a government exploring . . . — Map (db m100568) HM
California (Alpine County), Kirkwood — 378 — Memorial to Pioneer Odd Fellows
At this point in August 1849, a group of Odd Fellows nearing their goal, the California gold mines, paused in their struggle up these granite walls, to paint on this and adjacent boulders their names and the three links of the Great Order they so . . . — Map (db m100569) HM
California (Alpine County), Kirkwood — Naming of Carson Pass
In February of 1844, John C. Fremont led a group of men over these mountains as they struggled to reach Sutter’s Fort. Little did they know that the pass, which lay 20 to 30 feet under the snow beneath them, would be a major route for the Gold Rush . . . — Map (db m21278) HM
California (Alpine County), Kirkwood — 661 — Old Emigrant Road
Here the Old Emigrant Road of 1848 swung down across the meadow now covered by Caples Lake (Twin Lakes) and climbed along the ridge at the right to the gap at the head of the valley. From this summit (9,460 feet) it descended to Placerville. This . . . — Map (db m100570) HM
California (Alpine County), Kirkwood — Snowshoe Thom(p)son(John Tostensen) — A True Pioneer
“…there ought to be a shaft raised to Snow-Shoe Thompson: Not of marble; Not carved and not planted in the valley, but a rough shaft of basalt or of granite, massive and tall, with top ending roughly as if broken short, to represent a life . . . — Map (db m12028) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — Alpine Hotel
Originally built in 1862 as the Fiske House in Silver Mountain City. It was dismantled, board by board, in 1886 by A.M. Grover and a crew of men. Each board was marked and many of the old square nails were saved. It was re-erected on this site and . . . — Map (db m20631) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — Beautiful Hot Springs Valleydraws people now as it has for thousands of years
Summer after summer the Washoe Indian people visited the valley. Eventually their idyllic retreat was discovered. During the winter of 1844 Captain John Fremont may have seen this place during his crossing of the Sierra. Fremont’s diary of his . . . — Map (db m11001) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — 318 — Ebbetts PassHistorical Landmark
Named after Major John Ebbett and pointed out in 1853 to surveyor G.H. Goodard who referred to it as a “route of great promise – probably the best one for a transcontinental railway.” No emigrant train used this route but a . . . — Map (db m11444) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — Grover Hot Springs
Telltale signs of geologic activity surround Grover Hot Springs State Park. Bold granite peaks to the northwest are the work of immense mountain building forces. Old lava flows cover hundreds of square miles to the east, giving the Markleeville area . . . — Map (db m13239) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — Hermit ValleyHistorical Landmark
In 1856 a road was completed following the present sign route 4 from Murphys to this point, and thence northward via Faith and Charity Valleys to Hope Valley where it joined the Carson Pass Road. This connection was used by emigrants in 1856 and . . . — Map (db m10316) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — Historic Silver Mountain City(Kongsberg)
Silver Boom Town in 1866 Population 3000 Remains of City Jail — Map (db m44990) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — Markleeville General Store
On August 2, 1885, fire broke out in the Town of Markleeville destroying several buildings, including Harvey and Rask’s Bucher Shop and Smokehouse. Later on in the Fall, the building was rebuilt and reopened as Rask’s Butcher Shop. The building . . . — Map (db m11963) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — Reynolds PeakElevation 9300 Feet
Named in memory of G. ELMER REYNOLDS Stockton, California Conservationist and lover of nature — Map (db m11479) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — Snowshoe Thompson
This marks the home of John Albert Thompson (Snowshoe Thompson) great pioneer of the Sierras and hero of the mountains, who for twenty winters carried the mail over the deep snow of the mountains on his long skies: Giving help to those in need along . . . — Map (db m21302) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — Snowshoe Thompson Home
John A. “Snowshoe” Thompson (1827-1876) Native of Norway who carried mail across the Sierra Nevada on skis, assisting the needful for twenty years, dwelt and died on this site. Dedicated on June 30, 1990 Native Sons of the Golden West . . . — Map (db m21301) HM
California (Amador County), Amador City — Amador City CemeteryEst. 1851
The first internment in the Amador City Cemetery was 1851 with the last being in 1892. There are many more graves than indicated by the marble headstones. Some graves were never marked and others utilized hand carved wooden markers. During the . . . — Map (db m17020) HM
California (Amador County), Amador City — 14 — Original Amador Mine
Opened in 1852 from six claims. Renamed Original Amador Consolidated working till 1918. Reopened in 1935 till 1937. Shaft reached 1238’. Total production was $3,500,000. — Map (db m10329) HM
California (Amador County), Drytown — Drytown
Rich placer mining, 1850’s. Origin of town’s name: Lack of water in nearby creek to wash gold. Many Chinese laborers in fields & mines. East gateway to New Chicago, New Philadelphia, Amador City; Quartz mines: Fremont-Gover & Treasure (1867), Bunker . . . — Map (db m74124) HM
California (Amador County), Drytown — 31 — Drytown
Founded 1848. Oldest town and first in which gold was discovered in Amador County. Its venerable town hall and other picturesque structures remain. Was not "dry" as name implies, containing 26 saloons at one time. — Map (db m100575) HM
California (Amador County), Drytown — Early Day Butcher Shop
One of Amador County's oldest buildings. Marble floor hauled by mule-team from Fiddletown quarry. — Map (db m10471) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Buena Vista Store
Buena Vista's store and house situated in Jackson Valley, was built by John Fitzsimmons, then sold to Sam Cook, then to James Norris and afterwards to Jacob and Verona Strohm. Once situated in Lancha Plana it was moved by the Chinese who discovered . . . — Map (db m10189) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — 506 — Methodist Episcopal Church
The cornerstone was laid in 1862. Constructed of locally fired brick, the church was completed in 1866. Dedicated as “Ione City Centenary Church” and later popularly known as the “Cathedral of the Mother Lode.” The church was . . . — Map (db m100582) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — - Jackson -The Jumping Seat of Calaveras County
Judge Smith proclaimed Jackson the Seat of Justice after Clerk Collier canvassed the votes of the May 1851 election in which 1224 votes were cast for Moquelumne Hill and 1014 for Jackson. An armed party from Moquelumne Hill pursued Judge Smith to . . . — Map (db m27499) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Archimandrite Sebastian Dabovich
Very Reverend Archimandrite Sebastian Dabovich The First Administrator of the Serbian Church In America – Born in San Francisco on June 21, 1863 – Died November 30, 1940 in the Monastery of Zitcha at the Age of Seventy-Seven. — Map (db m13966) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 786 — Argonaut and Kennedy Mines
Argonaut Mine, discovered 1850, and Kennedy Mine, discovered 1856, played dramatic roles in the economic development of California. They produced $105,268,760 in gold. Kennedy Mine has a vertical shaft of 5,912 feet, the deepest in the United States . . . — Map (db m100586) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Botilleas Bordellos
World’s oldest profession flourished 50 yds east of this plaque for many years Until this most perfect example of free enterprise was padlocked by unsympathetic politicians E.R.E.C.T.I.O.N.S 1968 [ERECTIONS is an . . . — Map (db m29341) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Brown Home
Home (built 1859) of Armstead C. Brown (1816 – 1902) & son George until 1947. A.C. Brown was a lawyer, first president of Jackson City Trustees, state assemblyman 1863 – 66 & 1860 – 70, county judge 1876 – 78. Gave land to . . . — Map (db m27683) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Hangman's Tree
Here stood in early days the Hangman’s Tree This marker placed by Ursula Parlor No.1 N.D.G.W July 24, 1937 — Map (db m27881) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Jackson
In 1848, was a village of huts and tents called "Bottileas” by the Mexicans from the bottles strewn about by those who tarried here. In 1849, it was named Jackson for Colonel Jackson an early day resident. In 1853, Amador . . . — Map (db m72060) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Jackson Fire Bell
This trusty bell served Jackson faithfully for over 70 years. Located in tower near courthouse. Warning of fire or other peril. Dedicated July 8, 1989 by Amador County Historical Society and Excelsior . . . — Map (db m19750) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Kennedy Mining and Milling Company1860 - 1942
In the late 1850’s, Andrew Kennedy discovered gold in an outcropping of quartz. The mine produced over $34.2 million in gold, making it one of the richest gold mines in the world. With a depth of 5,912 feet, it was the deepest mine in North America . . . — Map (db m19797) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 34 — Pioneer Hall
The Order or Native Daughters of the Golden West was organized on these premises The site of the Pioneer Hall on September 1, 1886. This tablet is placed In memory of the founding of the order by Ursula Parlor No. 1, . . . — Map (db m28039) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Sesquicentennial Court House Site
Voters on July 17, 1854, selected Jackson as the county seat of the new County of Amador, born that June 14 after a spirited election. Fulfilling their promise, the Jackson town trustees, at no county expense, financed construction of the first . . . — Map (db m27910) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Church
St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Church was erected in 1894. It is the first Serbian Orthodox church built in the U.S. Rev. Sebastian Dabovich, first Priest in this parish. Born in S.F. & reared in nearby Plymouth. Inspired his people in the early 1890’s & . . . — Map (db m11514) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — The Court House Well
Under This Tablet Is The Court House Well Dug in 1851, 52 feet in depth For generations it was a main source of domestic water for the community. “Gone is the ancient equipment but still the living water flows.” . . . — Map (db m27908) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — The Louisiana HouseBuilt in 1862
Known as the National Hotel from 1913 to 1962, this hostelry is built over double springs at which earlier gold seekers stopped to refresh themselves. It has been in constant operation since 1862 and has served as a focal point for “community . . . — Map (db m27670) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — University of California Foothill Field Station1888 – 1903
The Foothill Station became the first University of California qualifying outlying station funded jointly by federal, state and local county sources in March 1888. The station was developed under the patronage of Senator A. Caminetti of Jackson. . . . — Map (db m72065) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — V. S. Garbarini, Sr.Mechanical Engineer — 1859 – 1931
Prominent in the mining world through his work at the Zeile, Kennedy, Argonaut & other Mother Lode mines, 1881 – 1929. His public spirit and mechanical skills led to many improvements in Jackson’s streets and bridges. First Mayor of Jackson, . . . — Map (db m27978) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Wells Fargo & Co. Express and Banking OfficeErected 1855
Dedicated to the pioneers of California by the Kit Carson Mountain Men of Jackson, Amador County June 18, 1949 An estimated $100,000,000 in gold was handled by this office. Plaque provided by Wells Fargo Bank & Union Trust . . . — Map (db m27859) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Wells Fargo Building
First structure on site built in 1851. Bar portion of building erected in 1856 as drug store. Wells Fargo Express Agency moved to store briefly in 1887. Two story section built in 1858, used as a general store. Easterly one story section built in . . . — Map (db m27857) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson Gate — A. Chichizola Store
Since 1850 Has served Jackson Gate since The California Gold Rush NRHP Plaque: Augustino Chichizola's Store Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the . . . — Map (db m33376) HM
California (Amador County), Kirkwood — 28 — Maiden's Grave
Broken dreams and hope, carried 2000 miles through scorching deserts and over loft mountains. At last...the sight of the promise land. Those of you who visit this grave carry a torch of love and hope (which this young girl lost), and pass it on, to . . . — Map (db m100573) HM
California (Amador County), Kit Carson — Plasse ResortSince 1853
Raymond Peter Plasse arrived 1850 in San Francisco. Mined gold at Volcano & Aqueduct. In 1853 started a trading post (now site) on Emigrant Road near Wester’s Gap. & a log cabin (now used at Silver Lake. Traded supplies & fresh livestock with . . . — Map (db m21249) HM
California (Amador County), Kit Carson — Plasse’s Trading Post
. . . — Map (db m21261) HM
California (Amador County), Kit Carson — 338 — Tragedy SpringNo 338 — Erected 1967
This campsite on the Kit Carson Emigrant Trail was a resting place for California settlers. It was named by members of the Mormon Battalion enroute to Salt Lake Valley. Three of their men, serving as advance trail scouts, were murdered here by . . . — Map (db m21273) HM
California (Amador County), Martell — To The Memory of Mike ToveyWells Fargo Messenger
Michael (“Mike”) Tovey, Wells Fargo Messenger was killed and DeWitt Clinton Radcliff, stage driver injured on this spot, June 15, 1893, by a lone bandit who attempted to hold up the regular six-horse stage on the old Ione - Jackson Stage . . . — Map (db m41555) HM
California (Amador County), Plymouth — City of Plymouth
Was a mining camp about 1852. Plymouth proper began with quartz mining when settled early by Green Aden & other hard rock miners. Town was named Plymouth, probably after nearby Plymouth Mine. Post Office established 1871. Many town fires, most . . . — Map (db m41349) HM
California (Amador County), Plymouth — Forest Home1850's — Stage and Freight Stopover
Copper mines patented 1873: Peak Outputs: Early 1860’s, 1895-1917, 1943-1947, Township organized 1854. A Methodist center for many years U.S. Postoffice: 1862-1905 — Map (db m11361) HM
California (Amador County), Plymouth — Shenandoah School1879
This bell called the children of Shenandoah Valley to school. The school district was first named Williams after the family with the most children, then changed to Shenandoah in 1916. In 1952 with the creation of the Oro Madre School District . . . — Map (db m10350) HM
California (Amador County), Plymouth — Shenandoah ValleySince 1852
Dedicated to the early Shenandoah Valley pioneers & their descendants. They mined gold & produced grain, livestock, orchards & vineyards in these rolling hills. Nearby are the old school, used for 100 years, and now a social center, and the cemetery . . . — Map (db m10639) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — 1854 · Amador County · 1954
Amador County, carved from Calaveras and El Dorado, was organized July 3, 1854, at the crossroads of Sutter Hill. Act of Legislature, May 11, 1854, set June 17, 1854, as election date for people to vote on such a division, and appointed five . . . — Map (db m11222) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Bellotti Inn
This hotel is a member of the State of California 100 Year Club and was opened for business in 1860. Bellotti Inn is one of oldest hotels still in continuous operation serving travelers in the State of California. The earliest hotel opened on this . . . — Map (db m29819) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Brignoli Building1858
Built of native greenstone by Bartolomeo Brignole for a general store. Operated by his family until 1944. — Map (db m29818) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Central Eureka Mine
Was begun here in the early 1850’s as the Badger and later the Summit Mine. It consolidated with Hayward’s old Eureka Mine in 1924 as the Central Eureka Company, Amador Consolidated Mines. The main shaft reached a depth of 4,965’. It was the last of . . . — Map (db m13084) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — 8 — Emerson Shaft
Eastern Shaft of the Wildman Mine located at the Post Office site. Used as an air chute and hoist shaft to dispose of waste rock later used to pave roads. The mine founded by William T. Wildman, circa 1851 — Map (db m12601) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Hydroelectric Power in Amador County
Impulse turbines, also known as high pressure water wheels, were first developed in the foothill gold fields of Northern California to produce rotating mechanical power. Early water wheel designs were produced by Donnelly and Knight foundries of . . . — Map (db m106398) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — In Memory of General John A. SutterBenefactor of the Great State of — California
Who mined here and gave Sutter Creek its name and under whose regime gold was discovered. Also to those pioneer mothers, fathers and miners of the Mother Lode, which has produced millions is gold. This rock used in Mother Lode Champion hand . . . — Map (db m13407) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — 1007 — Knight Foundry
Knight Foundry was established in 1873 to supply heavy equipment and repair facilities to the gold mines and timber industry of the Mother Lode. Samuel N. Knight developed a high speed, cast iron water wheel which was a forerunner of the Pelton . . . — Map (db m100590) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Knight Scarifier – “The Scarifier that will scarify”
Knight Foundry Scarifier, Patent No. US 1665277 A, was developed in 1926 and patented in 1928 by Daniel (Dan) V. Ramazzotti, owner of Knight Foundry, as an improved mechanical ripper for removing uneven surfaces and ruts from roads. With the advent . . . — Map (db m106423) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Leland Stanford, Jr.1824 – 1893
A man of tremendous ambition, Leland Stanford, Sr., was one of California’s most distinguished businessmen, politicians, philanthropists, and proponents of education. Lured to California by the Gold Rush in 1852, he became an owner of Sutter Creek’s . . . — Map (db m12610) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Levaggi Opera House
The front building built in 1860. The opera house was built on back in 1892 by John and Michael Levaggi, early pioneers and stone masons from Italy. Bricks used were kilned east of Sutter Creek and hauled to the site by twelve mule team. Amapola . . . — Map (db m29814) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Mahoney Mine
. . . — Map (db m12606) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Miners' Bend ParkA Historic Gold Mining Park
Sutter Creek, California Left Panel: Like many communities in the Sierra Foothills, Sutter Creek grew out of the great gold rush of 1849. Thousands of men of every nationality arrived seeking fortunes through toil, sweat, and luck. . . . — Map (db m106380) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Robert Carlton Downs1828 – 1905
Associate of Leland Stanford, Pioneer, Miner, Legislator, Businessman. Sailed around Cape Horn on clipper ship Tahamaroo in 1849. Established the first deep quartz mine, The Union, with E.B. McIntyre, S. Hanford & N. Drew in 1851. Became . . . — Map (db m29829) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Sutter Creek Grammar School1871
Learning was revered by Sutter Creek citizens whose school stands as an historic proof of the belief in education. — Map (db m28052) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Sutter Creek Jail
The jail was built in 1908 to replace the original jail that was destroyed by a fire started when an unidentified inmate set his mattress on fire and burned to death. Sutter Creek and Amador County shared the cost of the new cement jail built by the . . . — Map (db m57980) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Sutter Creek Sanitarium1895 - 1927
Medical Offices, Surgery and Hospital of Dr. Philip Sheridan Goodman. (1867 – 1927). Office and surgery on ground floor, hospital upstairs. Miraculous and unconventional, a true Sutter Creek Character. — Map (db m29780) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Sutter Creek United Methodist Church
In 1861 under leadership of Rev. I.B. Fish this church was built . Trustees incorporated the church as the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1862. Between 1863 and 1867 the Ladies Aid Society gave $1,300 for the back room addition. The steeple was added . . . — Map (db m13684) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Sutter Creek’s First Fire Bell
Within the bell The following is inscribed "Hung by G. Chisholm, Dan Ramazzotti Oct. 18, 1907 Director – F. N. Soracco, F. Warner E. Deacon – Sutter Creek Fire Co. Cast by A. Fulton’s Son and Company Pittsburg, PA. Ordered by . . . — Map (db m94750) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — To Remember the Men of Amador County Who Died in The World War
[There are four markers mounted on the monument; one each for World War I, World War II, Korea and Vietnam. The first three are mounted on the north side and the fourth is mounted on the south side of monument] [World War I] To . . . — Map (db m13421) WM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Wildman MinePowder House
Founded by William T. Wildman in 1851. Merged with Mahoney Mine and reached a depth of 1500 feet. Combined mines operated a 70 stamp mill and produced a total of $5 million in old by 1924. Powder house used to store explosives. Became part of . . . — Map (db m12598) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — William Barker Hubbell1816 – 1894
In Memory of Forty-Niner William Barker Hubbell 1816 – 1894 Who built his building for a General Store circa 1867 Served as Justice of the Peace 1888 – 1892 — Map (db m29858) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — Carlo Andrea Dondero
Discoverer and Founder of the California Carrara Marble Quarry Located 3.49 miles southwest of this location on Sutter Creek Volcano Road several hundred feet above the river. This quarry produced high quality marble used in the . . . — Map (db m27809) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — Soldier Gulch
This plaque is in commemoration of two soldiers of a party from Stevenson’s New York Regiment who discovered Volcano Valley in late 1848 and camped here in Soldier Gulch through a hard winter. Their bodies were discovered in the spring and buried . . . — Map (db m11364) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — St. George Hotel
This property has been placed on the NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m11785) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — Volcano
Discovered in 1848 by Colonel Stevenson’s men who mined Soldiers’ Gulch in ’49. First covered wagon party sluiced rich gravel beds. By ’53, men swarmed flats and gulches naming them picturesquely. Hydraulic operations, begun in ’55, brought . . . — Map (db m11365) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — 29 — Volcano
[Larger Marker]: Started 1848 by soldiers of Colonel Stevenson’s Regiment. Named by miners because of apparent volcanic appearance. Here the first California rental library, 1850, was established. And one of the first “Little . . . — Map (db m100574) HM
California (Butte County), Centerville — Centerville Cemetery
Main Marker: Burials here date back to the early 1860’s but it was 1900 before the first cemetery association purchased the land from Theodore Willrich and started keeping records. In 1958 a few residents re-formed the organization which . . . — Map (db m29709) HM
California (Butte County), Centerville — Centerville School
Erected in 1894 by C.H. Hintz this building was used continuously for school purposes until 1966 when due to unification, pupils were bussed into Chico. The first teacher was Miss Ada Woods. Cost of building was $600.Purchased by Centerville . . . — Map (db m29692) HM
California (Butte County), Chico — Chico Cemetery G.A.R. Monument
[Front (South-Side) of Monument] Erected by Halleck Post No. 19 G.A.R. & W.R.C. In Memory of Our Comrades 1861 – 1865 [Left (West-Side)] In Honor of The Brave Men Who From the First Bore a . . . — Map (db m29659) HM
California (Butte County), Chico — Chico Elks Lodge No. 423 Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the Members of Chico Elks Lodge No. 423 Who served in the Armed Forces Of the United States of America — Map (db m29734) HM
California (Butte County), Chico — 840-2 — Chico Forestry Station and Nursery
In 1888, the State Board of Forestry established an experimental forestry station and nursery, a companion to the Santa Monica Station established in 1887. The two were the first such stations in the nation. Exotic and native trees were tested and . . . — Map (db m100602) HM
California (Butte County), Chico — Chico World War I Memorial
In Memory of Our Honored Dead of The World War 1917 – 1918 William H. Aitken • Wyatt L. Arbuckle • Edwin W. Boggs • Russell C. Doyle • Harry A. Elliott • Elbert P. Esmond • Edward N. Fairo • Nelson Coe • Aaron S. Harris • . . . — Map (db m29758) HM
California (Butte County), Chico — General John and Annie K. Bidwell Gravesite
This marks the location of General John and Annie K. Bidwell’s Gravesite Founders and Benefactors of Chico — Map (db m29745) HM
California (Butte County), Chico — Honey Run Covered Bridge / Gold Dredge
Honey Run Bridge Erected 1894 By George Miller Gold Dredge The first bucket line gold dredge to operate below the covered bridge used this tumbler – 1898. — Map (db m29682) HM
California (Butte County), Chico — 313 — Hooker Oak
The massive and majestic Hooker Oak, which occupied this site, was named in honor of renowned British Botanist Sir Joseph Dalton Hooker. The Hooker Oak was acclaimed to be the largest Valley Oak in the world before it fell on May 1, 1977. Age . . . — Map (db m100595) HM
California (Butte County), Chico — 329 — Rancho Del Arroyo Chico
A vast expanse covering 26,000 acres, Rancho Chico was purchased in 1849-50 by John Bidwell. In 1865 he began construction of the mansion nearby, which in time became the social and cultural center of the upper Sacramento Valley. It was through his . . . — Map (db m100597) HM
California (Butte County), Chico — The Historic Home of Annie and John BidwellA House With a Style
Completed in 1868, the home featured many surprisingly modern conveniences including running water, flush toilets, an acetylene gas lighting system, eight fireplaces, and wall-to-wall carpeting. The pink stucco mansion was designed by San Francisco . . . — Map (db m29644) HM
California (Butte County), Chico — The Life and Times of John BidwellAn Amazing Life and Legacy
John Bidwell was born on the east coast to a poor farming family in 1819. In spite of these modest roots, he would eventually become a key figure in California history, one famous for being a true pioneer, a statesman, politician, prohibitionist, . . . — Map (db m29637) HM
California (Butte County), Chico — United States Submarine Crews Memorial
To the United States 52 Submarines and And Their Gallant Crews Who Sacrificed Their Lives In World War II “Lest We Forget These Boats on Eternal Patrol” Sealion • S · 36 • S · 26 • Shark • Perch • S · 27 . . . — Map (db m29738) HM
California (Butte County), Magalia — “Magalia Depot & Butte County Railroad”
In 1902, Diamond Match Co., established the Butte Co. Railroad. The So PAC tracks ran between Chico, Durham, and Stirling City. Regular train service between Chico and Magalia began Nov. 2, 1903. Magalia depot was completed soon thereafter. April 8, . . . — Map (db m61223) HM
California (Butte County), Magalia — Magalia Community Church / The Magalia Schoolhouse Bell
[ Upper Marker ] This property Magalia Community Church Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior [ Lower Marker ] The Magalia . . . — Map (db m29609) HM
California (Butte County), Magalia — 771 — The Dogtown Nugget
This marker symbolizes the discovery of the first large gold nugget in California. It was found across this canyon in Willard Gulch April 12, 1859. Weight 54 pounds. — Map (db m29663) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — 770 — Chinese Temple
Dedicated in the spring of 1863, this building served as a temple of worship for 10,000 Chinese then living here. Funds for its erection and furnishings were provided by the Emperor and Empress of China and local Chinese labor built the structure. . . . — Map (db m100599) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — Oroville Masonic Temple
SESQUICENTENNIAL TESTAMENT On the 8th day of May In the year 2006 AL 6006 Oroville Lodge No. 103 F.&A.M. In the State of California Did celebrate 150 years In Oroville, California Dispensation: April 4, 1856 Chartered: May 8, . . . — Map (db m17781) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — 809 — The Last Yahi Indian
For thousands of years the Yahi Indians roamed the foothills between Mt. Lassen and the Sacramento Valley. Settlement of this region by the white man brought death to the Yahi by gun, by disease, and by hunger. By the turn of the century only a few . . . — Map (db m100601) HM
California (Butte County), Paradise — Butte 011 — Old Paradise Depot
Constructed in 1903, this depot is one of three maintained along the Butte County Railroad, a 31 mile line from Chico to Stirling City, completed by Diamond Match Co. in 1904. The railroad was later acquired by Southern Pacific and operated as a . . . — Map (db m29671) HM
California (Butte County), Paradise — Town of Paradise Memorial TrailwaySPRR Milepost 198.2 – Site of the Paradise Rail Yard
The rail yard housed the depot, a water tank, a stockyard, as well as a siding and spur. A motorcar house was located further up the track. The depot was retired on January 19, 1960. The coming of the railroad was the major event that sparked . . . — Map (db m29674) HM
California (Calaveras County), Altaville — 288 — Altaville Foundry & Machine WorksFounded by J.M. Wooster — Est. 1854
Is the site of the longest running continuously operated foundry west of the Mississippi River. All quartz machinery needed for the numerous mines surrounding the Altaville, Angels Camp area was cast here. It was previously known as Altaville . . . — Map (db m13005) HM
California (Calaveras County), Altaville — 499 — Altaville Grammar School
This brick building, erected in 1858 with funds raised by a dance in the Billiard Saloon of the N.R. Prince Building (which still stands), is one of the oldest schools of California. Used as a school until 1950, it was then replaced by the present . . . — Map (db m10143) HM
California (Calaveras County), Altaville — 735 — Prince-Garibardi Building
This structure was erected in 1852 by B. R. Prince and G. Garibardi for a general merchandise business. Improved in 1857 with living quarters on the second floor, it is still used for living and warehouse purposes. — Map (db m11047) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — A. Brosemer Building1889
Andrew Brosemer followed his childhood sweetheart, Elizabeth Huberty, from Belgium. She came with her family from Luxembourg to Calaveras County in 1886 to join her uncle who had homesteaded a ranch in the 1850’s. Andrew properly . . . — Map (db m19326) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — 287 — Angels CampHome of the Jumping Frog — Romance - Gold - History
Founded in 1849 by George Angel, who established a mining camp and trading store 200 feet below this marker. A rich gravel mining area and one of the richest quartz mining sections of the Mother Lode. Production records of over $100 million for . . . — Map (db m14460) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Chinatown
This building, once owned by Sam Choy, is the only building remaining from a large Chinese settlement here in early Gold Rush days. Now owned by the City of Angels Camp. — Map (db m31889) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Claussen’s Corner
Built in the early 1850’s, year not documented, by Frank Egan, as the Central Park Hotel. Then, it included a brothel upstairs. The hotel was sold to Mrs. Mitrovich and renamed The Waverly Hotel. Blagoje “Billy” Ratkovich bought the . . . — Map (db m40811) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Gold Furnace
A gold furnace was commonly used to separate mercury from the gold. In gold placer mining, in which small specks and veins of gold were often found in quartz, mercury was used to separate the gold from the quartz. This bonding of the mercury . . . — Map (db m57172) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — GPY-135-2 — Hogarth Stamp Mill
In 1895 Harry Hogarth, James Candy and Naylor Williams filed a claim for the Relief Quartz Mine on a hillside above Six Mile Creek near Angels Camp. In 1920, after working the claim by hand for many years, the Hogarths; Harry Sr, Harry Jr, and . . . — Map (db m56553) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Independent Order of Odd Fellows Building1887
. . . — Map (db m19325) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Lightner Mine
This mine site was located in 1855 by Peter Cameron, A.M. Wood, Will Powell and C.G. Lake. Lightner Mining Company organized and operated from 1896-1915. A 40 stamp mill crushed 500,000 tons of ore from vein which widened to 120’. Ore stopped at . . . — Map (db m10633) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Mark Twain
. . . — Map (db m13006) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — The Hogarth Family
The Hogarth Family has had a long involvement with the mining industry in Angels Camp. Patriarch Henry ("Harry") Hogarth, Sr. was born in Scotland in 1831. He immigrated to the United States at an early age and soon settled on a career as a . . . — Map (db m56558) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — The Hogarth Stamp Mill
Common in California after 1853, the stamp mill consisted from one to five heavy pillar-like stamps whose bottom, (or shoes), were cylindrical hammers made of iron, each weighing as much as one thousand pounds. Power to operate the stamps was . . . — Map (db m56556) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — The MonitorCalifornia Hydraulic Mining
Hydraulic Mining was the largest and most destructive form of mining. Water, brought through flumes and ditches from high up in the mountains, was redirected into an ever-narrowing channel and out through a giant iron nozzle, called a . . . — Map (db m56649) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — The Story Under the LakeNew Melones Lake
The body of water you see before you, known as New Melones Lake, is formed by the building of the New Melones Dam. The 625-foot high earth-fill dam was completed in 1979 by the Army Corp of Engineers. A man-made reservoir, the lake hosts a variety . . . — Map (db m32433) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Veterans Memorial Hall
Dedicated to the memory of the men and women who made the supreme sacrifice in the service of the United States of America. February 25, 1967 — Map (db m19333) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Water Wheel
Water wheels were commonplace to the gold mining regions, providing power for mining and milling operations. Powered by water the wheel was attached to a series of belts and gears which turned the machinery to crush the ores. This water wheel . . . — Map (db m56559) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Whim
When mine shafts became to deep, a whim was needed to recover the ore in buckets. Joshua Hendy developed the Davis Horse-Power Hoisting Whim, exhibited here. The whim was a large drum made from wood in the early years, and later metal, with a . . . — Map (db m56616) HM
California (Calaveras County), Arnold — California Big Trees State ParkThe Discovery Stump — The Calaveras North Grove
In the spring of 1852, Augustus T. Dowd, while hunting, discovered a grove of truly immense trees, now known as the Calaveras North Grove. Several stockholders of the Union Water Company (who employed Augustus as a hunter) developed a plan to . . . — Map (db m34120) HM
California (Calaveras County), Avery — Avery HotelFormerly Half-Way House
Hotel and stagecoach relay station, halfway between Murphys and Big Trees. Settled in the 1850’s by Joseph and Sarah Goodell. Purchased by Peter Avery, then operated by three generations of Averys - Peter and Nancy, George and Henrietta and Morton . . . — Map (db m10615) HM
California (Calaveras County), Avery — The Avery Hotel
The oldest continuously operated hotel in Calaveras County, it was built as a family home in 1851 by Joseph and Sarah Goodell of Maine. The Goodells later relocated to Stockton. In 1853 Peter and Nancy Avery, also of Maine, began operating it as a . . . — Map (db m20626) HM
California (Calaveras County), Burson — 254 — Camanche
[Upper Marker:] Named Camanche in 1849 after Camanche, Iowa. Once called Limerick. Peak population 1500. Rich mining at nearby Cat Camp, Poverty Bar, and Sand Hill. Mokelumne River water brought in by Lancha Plana and Poverty Bar ditch. . . . — Map (db m19752) HM
California (Calaveras County), Calaveritas — 255 — Calaveritas
Calaveritas, settled in 1849 by Mexicans, was a flourishing mining town complete with stores, saloons, gambling houses, and fandango halls. Joaquin Murieta is reported to have frequently visited its Fandango Halls and gambling houses. Destroyed by . . . — Map (db m12992) HM
California (Calaveras County), Calaveritas — The Costa StoreConstructed by Mr. Luigi Costa in 1852
He conducted a butcher shop, a distillery and various other enterprises in these buildings, for a total of 50 years. Descendants of Luigi and Charlotte Costa have preserved this handsome example of the heritage of Calaveritas. — Map (db m12994) HM
California (Calaveras County), Campo Seco — 257 — Campo Seco
Settled in 1849 by Mexicans who worked placers in Oregon Gulch. Rich copper deposits discovered in 1859. The largest living cork oak tree in California was planted here in 1858. Ruins of Adams Express Building still standing. — Map (db m10629) HM
California (Calaveras County), Copperopolis — Black Bart at Funk HillCopperopolis
July 1875, at Funk Hill 4 miles due east Black Bart, alias Charles E. Bolton or Boles, wearing a flour sack mask and a linen duster, waving a double-barrelled shot gun held up the Wells Fargo Sonora to Milton Stage. The first successful stage . . . — Map (db m70090) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Charles Carroll House
Birthplace of Charles Carroll of Carrollton (September 19, 1737 – November 14, 1832), the only Roman Catholic to sign the Declaration of Independence and the last of the signers to die. Charles Carroll of Annapolis (1702 – 1782), . . . — Map (db m55298) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary Under the Title of the Immaculate Conception(Saint Mary’s Church)
Church and surrounding buildings are on land once owned by Charles Carroll of Carrollton (1737 – 1832) only Catholic to sign the Declaration of Independence and last signer to die. At rear is Carroll Manor, built c.1730, his birthplace where . . . — Map (db m55489) HM

1500 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1300
Paid Advertisement