Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1954 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1754
 
Frequently Asked QuestionsHMdb FAQ
(db m1)
Marker Programs
(db m8)
Notes to the Editor
(db m9)
Of Interest to History Enthusiasts
(db m6)
Other Marker Databases and Sites
(db m7)
Florida (Brevard County), Merritt Island — SATAN Tracking Antenna
The primary function of the SATAN tracking antenna was to receive radio signals in the Ultra High Frequency (UHF) range of 136 to 137 megahertz from orbiting unmanned spacecraft. In service from 1964 until 1979 the . . . — Map (db m13923) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Clarysville — Clarysville General HospitalCenter for Healing
The Clarysville Inn once stood in front of you to the right. In this tavern, and in a complex of buildings constructed around it, the United States established a general hospital during the Civil War. On March 6, 1862, U.S. soldiers commandeered the . . . — Map (db m37540) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Capture of GeneralsCapture of Generals B.F. Kelly and George Crook — Nights, February 21–22, 1865
A company of Confederates, young men from Cumberland, Maryland, Hampshire and Hardy Counties, West Virginia, captured several picket posts, obtained the countersign “Bulls Gap,” rode into the city, captured two commanding Union Generals, . . . — Map (db m490) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Civil War in Allegany CountyStrategic Location
During the Civil War, thousands of United States soldiers were stationed here in Cumberland and Allegany County to guard against raids and incursions by Confederate forces. Located only about 130 miles from the capital at Washington. . . . — Map (db m1049) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Gettysburg CampaignInvasion & Retreat
After stunning victories at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, Virginia, early in May 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee carried the war through Maryland, across the Mason and Dixon Line and into Pennsylvania. His infantry marched north through . . . — Map (db m1051) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Jane Frazier
Wife of Lieut. John Frazier was captured by Indians near this spot in October 1755 and taken to the Miami River. She escaped after eighteen months and made her way back to her home. — Map (db m402) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — McNeill’s RaidCapture of Crook and Kelly
In the predawn darkness of February 21, 1865, Confederate Lt. Jesse McNeill and his partisan (guerrilla) rangers rode into Cumberland from the west on this road. Unlike most raiders who targeted the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad for attack, McNeill . . . — Map (db m716) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — On This Site Stood Metro Clothes
Owned and managed by Joseph Feldstein, Metro Clothes was established in 1932 and originally located across the street. The business relocated to this site after the 1936 flood. Metro Clothes was a leading outfitter in men’s and boys’ clothing and . . . — Map (db m58358) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The First Iron Rails
The first iron rails made in the United States were manufactured in 1844 at Mount Savage. Before that time all iron rails were imported from England. — Map (db m445) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The National Road(Called The Cumberland Road)
Was the first of the internal improvements undertaken by the U.S. Government. Surveys were authorized in 1806 over the route of “Braddock’s Road,” which followed “Nemacolin’s Path,” an Indian trail, over which George . . . — Map (db m444) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — Life in Pleasant Valley
Before the park was developed in 1974, this valley was rich with farmland and timber. Seven farms worked the soil and grew corn, winter wheat and rye. Two of the farms raised dairy cows. The Raines family farm had approximately 189 acres and had . . . — Map (db m99149) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Frost Graves
This monument, erected in 1877, marks the graves of Meshach Frost (1787–1864) and his wife Catherine (1792–1876), founders of Frostburg. In 1812 they built their first home here. As the tavern Highland Hall, the building later . . . — Map (db m3550) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — FrostburgThe Frost Family Legacy
Years before St. Michael’s Church was built, Meshach Frost and his wife Catherine purchased this property in 1812. When the Frosts bought the property, construction of the National Road was already underway. They soon found they were feeding . . . — Map (db m3551) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — FrostburgThe National Road, Coal and Fancy Hotels
The National Road has sustained Frostburg for almost two centuries. As the road was being surveyed in 1811, Josiah Frost began laying out lots. Businesses, serving passing stagecoaches and wagons, soon lined a developing Main Street. By . . . — Map (db m3553) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Martin’s Plantation
General Braddock's 2nd camp on the march to Fort Duquesne June 14th, 15th, 1755. The old Braddock Road passed to the southeast of the National Road from Clarysville to the "Shades of Death" near "Two Mile Run." The National Road was begun by the . . . — Map (db m440) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), La Vale — “Spendelow Camp”Also Called “Camp at the Grove”
General Braddock’s 1st camp on the march from Fort Cumberland to Fort Duquesne, June 11th to 13th, 1855. After building a road over Wills Mountain, Spendelow, an engineer, discovered a route by “The Narrows” and Braddock’s Run and a . . . — Map (db m2083) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), La Vale — First Toll Gate House
First toll gate house on the old National (Cumberland) Road. Erected about 1833 after this portion of the road was turned over to the State of Maryland by the United States government. There was one other toll gate in Maryland on this Road. — Map (db m442) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), La Vale — The La Vale Toll House
Toll houses were built along the National Road as a result of a 25 year national debate as to whether or not the federal government should be responsible for funding road improvements. While there was agreement on the idea that those who used the . . . — Map (db m443) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Oldtown — Maryland’s Liberty Tree — Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park
With roots planted deep in the soil providing stability and a crown overhead providing shelter and safety, it is easy to see how a tree could be a meaningful symbol for the Sons of Liberty in America's earliest days. Each of the original 13 colonies . . . — Map (db m99195) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Oldtown — Michael Cresap(1742–1775)
He built his house, which can be seen nearby, about 1764. A trader, he cleared wilderness and fought Indians in “Cresap’s War” in Ohio, 1774. As a Captain he led riflemen, some painted Indian-style, to Boston at the start of the . . . — Map (db m448) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Oldtown — Old Town(King Opessa’s Town)
Fording place for “Great Warriors Path” from New York to the South. Thomas Cresap built stockade fort here in 1741 used as a refuge during French and Indian War after Braddock’s defeat. George Washington was here on his first visit . . . — Map (db m447) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Westernport — Working Together for the CommunityWesternport Flood Mitigation, Restoration, and Park Development Project
Flooding. In 1996, two devastating floods caused catastrophic damage throughout a four county area of Western Maryland. The town of Westernport, located at the confluence of Georges Creek and the Potomac River, was one of the hardest hit by the . . . — Map (db m33699) HM
Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Lenox — Paterson / Egleston
(south face)Paterson (east face) In memory of Major General John Paterson, son of Colonel John Paterson, born 1744, died 1808; and Elizabeth Lee his wife, born 1749, died 1841. He was born in New Britain, Conn. Graduated at . . . — Map (db m524) HM
North Carolina (Alleghany County), Hare — Fox Hunters Paradise
The knoll low on the ridge to the right boasts this celestial name. It is well known locally that hunters often sat about a night fire there while they followed the chase in the lowlands. They knew which hound held the lead by the . . . — Map (db m104662) HM
North Carolina (Alleghany County), Laurel Springs — M-34 — Robert L. Doughton1863–1954
Congressman, 1911–1953. Chairman, House Ways and Means Committee 1833–1947. 1949–1953. Home 2/10 miles southeast. — Map (db m104664) HM
North Carolina (Alleghany County), Sparta — M-37 — Rufus A. Doughton
Legislator, 14 terms. Lt. Governor, 1893-1897. Headed Revenue & Highway Commissions. Was UNC Trustee for 56 years. Office was 30 feet west. — Map (db m104663) HM
North Carolina (Ashe County), Peak Creek — M-28 — Ore Knob Mine
Copper mine operated intermittently, 1850s to 1962. Site of Ore Knob, boom mining town, incorporated 1875. Shafts 1 mile north. — Map (db m104668) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Chocowinity — B-17 — Fort Hill
Site of Confederate batteries on Pamlico River which enabled General D. H. Hill's forces to besiege Washington in spring of 1863. Five miles east. — Map (db m52837) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Chocowinity — B-46 — Trinity Church
Episcopal. Originally Blount’s Chapel. Built ca. 1774 by Rev. Nathaniel Blount. Moved in 1939 from original site nearby. — Map (db m52776) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Chocowinity — C-36 — Trinity School
Episcopal boys school founded in 1851 by The Rev. N.C. Hughes. Open off and on until 1908. Many students entered ministry. Stood here. — Map (db m52835) HM
North Carolina (Bladen County), Clarkton — Old Brown Marsh Presbyterian Church2 Miles North East
Organized prior to 1756. Present building constructed 1818—the third on site. First two buildings of logs. Was also used for secular education until 1848. Among early ministers: H. McAden, Jas. Hall, S. Stanford, C. Lindsay. — Map (db m60483) HM
North Carolina (Bladen County), Clarkton — Old Brown Marsh Presbyterian Church
Organized prior to 1756 by Scottish settlers. Present building constructed 1818. Third building on site. First two building of logs. Was also used for secular education until 1848. Some early ministers: H. McAden — Jas. Hall — S. . . . — Map (db m60485) HM
North Carolina (Bladen County), Clarkton — Whistler’s Mother1804–1881
Anna Mathilda McNeill Whistler, mother of the noted painter, James Abbot McNeill Whistler, lived in a house which stood 1300 yards east of this spot. — Map (db m60280) HM
North Carolina (Bladen County), Elizabethtown — I-11 — Battle of Elizabethtown
Whigs broke Tory power in Bladen County, August, 1781, driving them into Tory Hole, 50 yards north. — Map (db m27536) HM
North Carolina (Bladen County), Tar Heel — I-37 — Thomas Robeson
Colonel in Revolution, member of provincial congresses and state senator. Robeson County is named for him. His home stood ½ mile N.E. — Map (db m18070) HM
North Carolina (Bladen County), White Lake — I-78 — White Lake CCC Camp
An installation of the Civilian Conservation Corps. Initiated modern park improvements. Established here 1835; closed 1942. — Map (db m60360) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Belville — D-25 — Alfred Moore
Associate Justice United States Supreme Court, 1799–1804, officer in the Revolution, state Attorney General, Judge. Home was 18¾ mi. S. — Map (db m6419) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — Cutler Botanic Gardens1823–1973
On August 20, 1823, the Board of Trustees of Ohio University, of which Judge Ephraim Cutler was a leading member, set aside 300 acres “west of the College green” for a botanical garden and the site of a medical college, in memory of the . . . — Map (db m10908) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — The Silas Bingham HouseCirca 1805
Silas Bingham arrived in Athens in 1797. His home, originally built on South College Street, is the oldest house in Athens and one of the few remaining examples of a two-story log building in the area. Since the commissioners held meetings in . . . — Map (db m10909) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Nelsonville — Camp Site of Lord Dunmore1774
Rock weights were in drawbridge at Harper Street crossing of Hocking Canal. — Map (db m10892) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Nelsonville — Hocking Canal Site1840–1940
This section of Route 33 in the City of Nelsonville is constructed on the site of the former Hocking Canal. This early waterway, a tremendous factor in the industrial development of the Hocking Coal District of Ohio, was completed to this . . . — Map (db m34217) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Barnesville — B&O Railroad Tunnel
You are standing over a 423 foot man-made sandstone tunnel built by the railroad between 1864 and 1870. Located on the Pittsburgh-Columbus main line, up to 37 trains a day passed under East Main Street during the railroad’s heyday. The station, . . . — Map (db m21012) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Barnesville — 7-7 — Governor Wilson Shannon 1802-1877 / Barnesville’s Shannon Family
Governor Wilson Shannon (1802–1877), Ohio, first native-born governor, Wilson Shannon was born in February 1802 in the Mt. Olivet area near Barnesville. After attending Ohio University and studying law in Kentucky, he returned to Belmont . . . — Map (db m21055) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Belmont — 5-7 — Harley E. Warrick(1924–2000)
The last barn painter for the Bloch Brothers Tobacco Company of Wheeling, West Virginia, Harley Warrick painted thousands of barns with the familiar Mail Pouch Tobacco logo over his 48-year career. Mail Pouch transcended advertising to become a . . . — Map (db m1035) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Bridgeport — 4-7 — Historic Bridgeport
Colonel Ebenezer Zane, one of the founders of Wheeling, laid out the village that became Bridgeport in 1806 on the site of Fort Kirkwood (1789). Originally named Canton, it acquired its present name after the bridge to Wheeling Island was built. The . . . — Map (db m515) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Elizabethtown — 1-7 — Mile Marker
The earliest highway signs along the National Road (Route 40) in Ohio were milestones located at one-mile intervals along the north side of the roadway. Each stone indicated the distance to Cumberland, Maryland, the eastern terminus of the National . . . — Map (db m21058) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Morristown — 10-7 — Morristown
Platted in 1802 by John Zane and William Chapline along the old Wheeling Road. Morristown was named for Duncan Morrison, an early settler, innkeeper, and Justice of the Peace. Older than the state itself. Morristown prospered into the mid-1800s, . . . — Map (db m287) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Heidlersburg — 372 — John Studebaker
Had his wagon works 2.5 miles SE of here, 1830 to 1836, when he moved west. In 1852 his sons formed the Studebaker Company, the world's largest maker of horse-drawn vehicles and, in 1897, a pioneer in the automobile industry. — Map (db m26026) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Oakmont — Camp D. D. Gaillard
15th U.S. Engineers. World War Volunteers. Enlisted at Pittsburgh. Trained here May 23, 1917 to July 8, 1917. Embarked from New York July 9, 1917. England July 19, 1917, to July 23, 1917. First Armed foreign troops to land in England since Sixteenth . . . — Map (db m137) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Stephen Collins FosterAmerican Composer — 1826–1864
As a young man, Stephen Foster lived opposite this site on Union Avenue and, with his family, regularly enjoyed the park. Here he composed the music for his first published song, “Open Thy Lattice Love,” which was dedicated to a . . . — Map (db m76948) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver Falls — Chippewa United Methodist Church
Founded 1796 in home of Abraham Powers. Old stone church built 1800 north of here on Shenango Road. First interment in cemetery 1798. Following a fire in 1848 and ue to growth in church a red brick church was built in 1857 here on Old Sandusky Trail. — Map (db m133) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver Falls — Geneva College
A Christian liberal arts college which was founded by the Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America in Northwood Ohio in 1848. Was moved to Beaver Falls in 1880 to a site provided by the Harmony Society. Old Main built 1880 with native stone. — Map (db m136) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver Falls — The Carnegie Library
Constructed in 1903 as the County's first library building. The building funds were furnished by an Andrew Carnegie grant and the site and maintenance by the citizens of Beaver Falls and the Big Beaver Falls School District. — Map (db m135) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), New Brighton — Christ Episcopal Church
Sesquicentennial (1850-2000). Oldest continuously used church in New Brighton. Outstanding example of English Small Gothic Architecture in America. The church has a collection of superb stained glass windows by Tiffany. — Map (db m132) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), New Brighton — White Cottage
Home of Grace Greenwood (Sara J. Clarke Lippincott, 1823-1904), pioneer woman correspondent, poetess, and authoress. While living here during the mid-19th Century, she wrote many of her popular juvenile stories. — Map (db m134) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Breezewood — Military Convoys
During World War II, the Gateway was considered to be a major stop-off for many servicemen and women who were on their way to Maryland, Virginia, the Carolinas and westward. This prime location near the turnpike interchange in Breezewood and along . . . — Map (db m337) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Breezewood — The Pennsylvania Turnpike
Shortly after the Pennsylvania Turnpike opened in 1941, Snyder's Gateway Inn was one of the first businesses to appear. Merle and Marian Snyder opened the restaurant shortly before World War II began and eventually supplied fuel to the military . . . — Map (db m336) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Dr. Copter — Flying Medicine to TangierDavid Buell Nichols, MD — Feb 18, 1948 – Dec 30, 2010
Every week for more than thirty years Dr. David Buell Nichols made the voyage from Hummel Field in Middlesex County to Tangier Island in the Chesapeake Bay to administer health care to those in need. For an island with no resident doctor, the sound . . . — Map (db m97803) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Q-83 — Fort Albion
In April 1814, during the war of 1812, British forces commanded by Adm. Sir George Cockburn established Fort Albion on the southern tip of Tangier Island. The fort, which included barracks a hospital, a church, parade grounds, and . . . — Map (db m97720) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Lee’s Bethel
This cemetery is the possible site of Lee’s Bethel, the island’s first church. Next to the cemetery is the last of the island’s once plentiful garden farms. Tangiermen were famous for growing melons, filling their boats until just the gunnels . . . — Map (db m97873) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Telephone Office, Post Office & Myrt’s
The Telephone Building was built in 1966 by Grover Charnock when radiotelephones were finally replaced with a microwave tower. In front of this is a new home, built on the site of the former Grand Theater, built in 1929 by Gordon Daley, . . . — Map (db m97690) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — WY-22 — The Parson of the Islands
Joshua Thomas (1776–1853) became a skilled waterman from the in his youth and ferried clergymen from the mainland to the islands of the Chesapeake Bay. He converted to Methodism about 1807, was licensed as an exhorter (or lay preacher) . . . — Map (db m97688) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Welcome To Historic Tangier Island
For almost 250 years the people of Tangier have wrested a living and a lifestyle from the waters that surround them. Most of their days have been occupied with family, work, church, and the other normal pursuits in which we all engage. But they have . . . — Map (db m97723) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Afton — Z-20 — Nelson County / Albemarle County
Nelson County. In the foothills of Virginia’s Piedmont, Nelson County was formed in 1807 from Amherst County. The county was named for Thomas Nelson, Jr., governor of Virginia from June to November 1781. The county seat is Lovingston. The . . . — Map (db m4030) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Batesville — GA-40 — Staunton and James River Turnpike
The Staunton and James River Turnpike ran through here at Batesville and stretched for 43½ miles from Staunton to Scottsville. Construction began in 1826 and was completed by 1830. The turnpike provided a direct route for Shenandoah Valley . . . — Map (db m21696) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Brownsville — The Rothwell Family ... / Elisha Wm. Robertson ...
The Rothwell Family of Albemarle County Virginia. Claiborne one of the first of the Rothwells to live in this county, was born about 1741 as reported in The Virginia Advocate, Saturday Oct. 11, 1828 and “died on Oct. 6 in his 87th . . . — Map (db m3996) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Z-15 — Albemarle County / Greene County
Albemarle County. Albemarle County was formed in 1744 from Goochland County and named for William Anne Keppel, the second Earl of Albemarle, titular governor of Virginia from 1747 to 1754. A portion of Louisa County was later added to Albemarle . . . — Map (db m21585) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — W-199 — Clark’s Birthplace
A mile north was born George Rogers Clark, defender of Kentucky and conqueror of the Northwest, November 19, 1752. — Map (db m17271) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Q-38 — Dogwood Vietnam Memorial
The Dogwood Vietnam Memorial, a project of the Charlottesville Dogwood Festival, Inc., was conceived late in 1965 after news arrived of the first casualty of the Vietnam War from this area. Consisting of a plaza with a plaque and flagpole, the . . . — Map (db m102815) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Kappa Sigma Fraternity
Here on December the tenth MDCCCLXIX the Kappa Sigma Fraternity was founded by William Grisby McCormick • George Miles Arnold • John Covert Boyd • Edmund Law Rogers • Frank Courtney Nicodemus. Manet Mansuraque Est.Map (db m8812) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — G-29 — Monacan Indian Village
Near here, on both sides of the Rivanna River, was located the Monacan Indian village of Monasukapanough. This village was one of five Monacan towns that Captain John Smith recorded by name on his 1612 Map of Virginia, though many more . . . — Map (db m106829) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — W-163 — Revolutionary Soldiers Graves
Jesse Pitman Lewis (d. March 8, 1849), of the Virginia Militia, and Taliaferro Lewis (d. July 12, 1810), of the Continental Line, two of several brothers who fought in the War for Independence, are buried in the Lewis family cemetery 100 yards south . . . — Map (db m3994) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Rio HillArtifacts Found at Rio Hill
Civil War relic collectors found Stuart’s winter camp and skirmish site (shaded area of map) long before the Rio Hill Shopping Center opened in 1989. Metal detectors were used to search the area and artifacts—bullets, buttons, belt and . . . — Map (db m7692) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Rio Hill 1864 SkirmishGeorge A. Custer Attacks a Confederate Winter Camp
In December 1863, Confederate troops established winter quarters here. The approximately 200 soldiers, under the command of Capt. Marcellus N. Moorman, were from Stuart’s Horse Artillery Battalion and were equipped with 16 cannons. The men built . . . — Map (db m7690) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — G-26 — Rio Mills
The 19th-century mill village of Rio Mills stood 600 yards west of here, where the former Harrisonburg-Charlottesville Turnpike crossed the South Fork of the Rivanna River. Following the Battle of Rio Hill on 29 February 1864, Union General George . . . — Map (db m106830) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — W-197 — Skirmish at Rio Hill
On February 29, 1864, General George A. Custer and 1500 cavalrymen made a diversionary raid Into Albemarle County. Here, north of Charlottesville, he attacked the Confederate winter camp of four batteries of the Stuart Horse Artillery commanded by . . . — Map (db m7685) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — The Dogwood Vietnam Memorial“The Hill that Heals”
Dedicated to the lasting memory of all who served our country in Vietnam and Southeast Asia. Champ Jackson Lawson, Jr. — 04 November 1965 Grandville Reynard Jones, Jr. — 05 December 1965 Oscar Mauterer — 15 February . . . — Map (db m102781) HM WM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — These Willow Oaks
These willow oaks were planted by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II & Prince Philip in ceremonies honoring the royal visit to the Western Virginia Bicentennial Center July 10, 1976. — Map (db m21950) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Q-22 — Union Occupation of Charlottesville
On 3 Mar. 1865, Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan’s Union Army of the Shenandoah entered Charlottesville to destroy railroad facilities as the 3rd Cavalry Division led by Bvt. Maj. Gen. George A. Custer arrived from Waynesboro. Mayor Christopher H. . . . — Map (db m95140) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Vanguard of FreedomUnited States Army — Bicentennial 1775–1975
Citizens of central and western Virginia have contributed significantly to national defense and to the U.S. Army throughout its 200-year history. During the Revolutionary War, Virginians fought valiantly as members of the militia and the . . . — Map (db m21890) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — William Holding Echols — 1859–1934
William Holding Echols (1859–1934), Professor of Mathematics, lived in this pavilion. By precept and example, he taught many generations of students with ruthless insistence that the supreme values are self respect, integrity of mind, contempt . . . — Map (db m62645) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Cobham — GA-48 — St. John School — Rosenwald Funded
The St. John School, built here in 1922–1923, served African-American students during the segregation era. Julius Rosenwald, president of Sears Roebuck and Co., collaborated with Booker T. Washington in a school-building campaign begining in . . . — Map (db m102560) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Earlysville — GA-41 — Earlysville Union Church
Earlysville Union Church is a rare surviving early-19th-century interdenominational church constructed in Albemarle County. Built in 1833, this frame structure served as a meetinghouse for all Christian denominations on land deeded by John . . . — Map (db m21650) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Earlysville — First Buck Mountain Church
This tablet placed here by the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Virginia in the year 1930, commemorates the founding of the First Buck Mountain Church established under the authority of The Church of England and builded one mile west of . . . — Map (db m21690) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Gordonsville — G-25 — General Thomas Sumter
Thomas Sumter was born on 14 Aug. 1734 in this region. Sumter, a member of the Virginia militia during the French and Indian War, moved to South Carolina in 1765. He served as a lieutenant colonel in the Continental Army (1776–1778); in June . . . — Map (db m17501) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Greenwood — W-164 — Mirador
Nearby stands Mirador the childhood home of Nancy, Viscountess Astor, the first woman member of Parliament. Born Nancy Witcher Langhorne in 1879, she lived here from 1892 to 1897. In 1906 she married Waldorf Astor and moved to England permanently. . . . — Map (db m1535) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Greenwood — Mirador
This was the girlhood home of Viscountess Nancy Astor, first woman member of the British Parliament. She was a daughter of Chiswell Dabney Langhorne, who bought “Mirador” in 1892. The house was built sometime after 1832 for James M. . . . — Map (db m1536) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Greenwood — VDOT Workers’ Memorial
The monument before you honors Virginia state highway workers who lost their lives while serving the Commonwealth’s travelers. No public funds were used to build this memorial. It was built entirely with donations from Virginia Department of . . . — Map (db m26332) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Ivy — W-161 — Birthplace of Meriwether Lewis
Half a mile north was born, 1774, Meriwether Lewis, of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, sent by Jefferson to explore the far west, 1804–1806. The expedition reached the mouth of the Columbia River, November 15, 1805. — Map (db m1795) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Keswick — GA-43 — Southwest Mountains Rural Historic District
Extending from the Orange County line on the north to the outskirts of Charlottesville with the Southwest Mountains forming its spine, this historic district encompasses more than 31,000 acres and contains some of the Piedmont’s most pristine and . . . — Map (db m17447) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Lindsay — JE-6 — Maury’s School
Just north was a classical school conducted by the Rev. James Maury, rector of Fredericksville Parish from 1754 to 1769. Thomas Jefferson was one of Maury’s students. Matthew Fontaine Maury, the “Pathfinder of the Seas,” was Maury’s . . . — Map (db m17459) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Midway — W-225 — Miller School
W 225 A bequest of Samuel Miller (1792–1869) provided funds to found the Miller School in 1878. Miller, a Lynchburg businessman born in poverty in Albemarle County, envisioned a regional school for children who could not afford an education. . . . — Map (db m21699) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Proffit — G-22 — Proffit Historic District
Ben Brown and other newly freed slaves, who founded the community after the Civil War, first named the settlement Egypt and then Bethel. About 1881, the community became known as Proffit when the Virginia Midland Railway placed a stop here, . . . — Map (db m16946) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Scottsville — GA-35 — Barclay House and Scottsville Museum
Here stands the Barclay House, built about 1830, later the home of Dr. James Turner Barclay, inventor for the U. S. Mint and missionary to Jerusalem. He founded the adjacent Diciples Church in 1846 and served as its first preacher. It is now the . . . — Map (db m17995) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Scottsville — GA-38 — Hatton Ferry
Five miles southwest of here is the Hatton Ferry on the James River which began operating in the 1870s. James A. Brown established the ferry and a store on land first rented and then purchased from S.P. Gantt in 1881. In 1883 when a post office was . . . — Map (db m88501) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Scottsville — GA-36 — Historic Scottsville
In 1745 old Albemarle County was organized at Scott’s landing, its first county seat, here on the great horseshoe bend of the James River. In 1818 the town was incorporated as Scottsville, beginning in 1840 it flourished as the chief port above . . . — Map (db m17894) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Scottsville — Hurricane Camille
On August 20, 1969, flood waters of the James River rose to this point as an aftermath of Hurricane Camille causing great loss to the people of Scottsville. This plaque was erected to remind all who read it of the vulnerability of mortal man to . . . — Map (db m17948) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Scottsville — ScottsvilleWhen War Came
At 3 p.m. on Monday, March 6, 1865, the first of Union Gen. Philip H. Sheridan’s 10,000 cavalrymen under Gens. Wesley Merritt, Thomas Devin, and George A. Custer entered Scottsville unopposed. To accomplish their mission—destroy the James . . . — Map (db m17844) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Shadwell — W-203 — Edgehill
The land was patented in 1735. The old house was built in 1790; the new in 1828. Here lived Thomas Mann Randolph, governor of Virginia 1819–1922, who married Martha, daughter of Thomas Jefferson. — Map (db m17335) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Shadwell — W-202 — Shadwell, Birthplace of Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Jefferson—author of the Declaration of Independence, third president of the United States, and founder of the University of Virginia—was born near this site on 13 April 1743. His father, Peter Jefferson (1708–1757), a . . . — Map (db m17306) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Simeon — FL-8 — Ash Lawn – Highland
This estate was the home of James Monroe, fifth president of the United States. In 1793, James and Elizabeth Kortright Monroe purchased 1,000 acres adjoining Jefferson’s Monticello. Called Highland, the plantation, eventually totaling 3,500 acres, . . . — Map (db m23437) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Simeon — W-201 — Colle
The house was built about 1770 by workmen engaged in building Monticello. Mazzei, an Italian, lived here for some years adapting grape culture to Virginia. Baron de Riedesel, captured at Saratoga in 1777, lived here with his family, 1779–1780. . . . — Map (db m21952) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-124 — Alfred Street Baptist Church
Alfred Street Baptist Church is home to the oldest African American congregation in Alexandria, dating to the early 19th century. It has served as a prominent religious, educational, and cultural institution. In 1818, the congregation, then . . . — Map (db m14623) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Battery Rodgers
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Battery Rodgers Here stood Battery Rodgers, built in 1863 to prevent enemy ships from passing up the Potomac River. The battery had a perimeter of 30 yards and mounted five 200 pounder Parrott . . . — Map (db m41413) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — First Catholic Church in VirginiaA. D. 1795
This stone taken from the canal of the Potomac Company of which Washington and Fitzgerald were Directors commemorates the erection of the First Catholic Church in Virginia, A. D. 1795, which stood until 1839 about twenty feet behind this . . . — Map (db m79678) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — First Original Federal Boundary StoneDistrict of Columbia
Placed April 15, 1791. Protected by Mount Vernon Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, April 30, 1926. — Map (db m60178) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Home of Edmund Jennings LeeCompleted 1801
Eminent lawyer, he lived here until 1837. His son, Cassius Francis Lee until 1865. Edmund Jennings Lee served as Vestryman and Warden of Christ Church, whose Glebe lands he successfully defended from confiscation after the Revolutionary War. Major . . . — Map (db m8566) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-134 — L’Ouverture Hospital
Named for Toussaint L’Ouverture, the Haitian revolutionary. L’Ouverture Hospttal opened early in 1864 near the Freedmen’s barracks in Alexandria to serve sick and injured United States Colored Troops (USCT). Designed by the U.S. Army, . . . — Map (db m108153) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-91 — Lee’s Boyhood Home
Robert E. Lee left this home that he loves so well to enter West Point. After Appomattox he returned and climbed the wall to see “if the snowballs were in bloom.” George Washington dined here when it was the home of William Fitzhugh, . . . — Map (db m8548) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-93 — Lee-Fendall House
“Light Horse Harry” Lee, Revolutionary War officer, owned this land in 1784. The house was built in 1785 by Phillip Fendall, a Lee relative. Renovated in 1850 in the Greek Revival style, the house remained in the Lee family until 1903. . . . — Map (db m8567) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Lee-Fendall House
Built by Philip Richard Fendall in 1785 on land purchased from Henry (Light Horse Harry) Lee. Lee was a brilliant cavalry officer in the Revolution, close friend of George Washington, Virginia Assemblyman, member of Congress and Governor of . . . — Map (db m8596) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Lloyd House
Built 1797 by John Wise, tavern keeper, and his residence, until 1799. Rental property when sold to Major Jacob Hoffman 1810–1825, included outbuildings, gardens, small sugar refinery. Next owner Elizabeth Thacker Hooe leased house to Benjamin . . . — Map (db m8613) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Mistress Margaret Brent(c1601–c1671)
On September 6, 1654, this site was included in a patent of 700 acres granted by the Colony of Virginia to Mistress Margaret Brent (c1601–c1671). An extraordinary woman, she spent most of her adult life fighting discrimination of her sex, she . . . — Map (db m62020) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-92 — Site of First Synagogue of Beth El Hebrew Congregation
On this site stood Beth El Hebrew Congregation’s synagogue, the first structure built as Jewish house of worship in the Washington metropolitan area. Founded in 1859, Beth El, the first reform Jewish congregation in the Washington area, is northern . . . — Map (db m8604) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Confederate Statue
The unarmed Confederate soldier standing in the intersection of Washington and Prince Streets marks the location where units from Alexandria left to join the Confederate Army on May 24, 1861. The soldier is facing the battlefields to the South where . . . — Map (db m8605) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The LyceumThe Jean E. Keith Memorial
Built in 1839 by the Alexandria Lyceum Company under the leadership of Benjamin Hallowell, this building housed the Alexandria Library and was the scene of concerts, meetings, debates and lectures featuring such speakers as John Quincy Adams and . . . — Map (db m8607) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Panel-4 — The People of Potomac Yard
When Potomac Yard opened in 1906, it employed 1,200 people. At its peak during World War II (1941–1945), yard expansion increased the workforce to almost 1,500 people. Inspectors, brakemen, switch operators, locomotive engineers, mechanics, . . . — Map (db m97024) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-106 — Washington-Rochambeau RouteAlexandria Encampment
Most of the American and French armies set sail from three ports in Maryland—Annapolis, Baltimore, and Head of Elk—in mid-Sept. 1781 to besiege the British army in Yorktown. The allied supply-wagon traln proceeded overland to Yorktown, . . . — Map (db m8570) HM
Virginia (Alleghany County), Alleghany — Z-223 — Alleghany County Va. / West VirginiaArea 458 Square Miles /
Alleghany County Va. Area 458 square miles. Formed in 182, from Bath, Botetourt and Monroe, and named for the Alleghany Mountains. At Fort Mann a battle took place between settlers and Indians led by Cornstalk, 1763. West . . . — Map (db m84057) HM
Virginia (Alleghany County), Clifton Forge — L-6 — Masonic Theatre
Low Moor Lodge No. 166, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, commissioned this Neo-Classical Revival-style opera house and lodge, erected in 1905 at a cost of about $40,000. The Masons held meetings on the third floor from 1906 to 1921. The . . . — Map (db m105105) HM
Virginia (Alleghany County), Cliftondale Park — L-3 — Douthat State Park
This park was developed by the National Park Service, Interior Department, through the Civilian Conservation Corps, in conjunction with the Virginia Conservation Commission. It covers nearly 4500 acres and was opened, June 15, 1936. It lies in a . . . — Map (db m84039) HM
Virginia (Alleghany County), Falling Spring — The Road to the Kanawhaand Washington’s Route — Scenic Overlook
Through the gap between Peters Mountain on the left and Lick Mountain lies the road to the Kanawha used by emigrants traveling west to the Mississippi basin. The road in the valley below follows the route Washington used when inspecting the forts . . . — Map (db m77491) HM
Virginia (Alleghany County), Low Moor — D-33 — Low Moor Iron Company Coke Ovens
Here stand the earliest coke ovens of the Low Moor Iron Company (organized 1873). The ovens converted coal to coke to fuel the company’s blast furnace. The company built more than a hundred such ovens in 1881. By 1923 the Low Moor Iron Company . . . — Map (db m84051) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Amherst — R-52 — Bear Mountain Indian Mission School
Bear Mountain is the spiritual center of the Monacan community. The Bear Mountain Indian Mission School, ca. 1868, was originally built for church services and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Virginia’s racial segregation . . . — Map (db m104369) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Amherst — R-22 — James River Batteau
Near here lived Anthony and Benjamin Rucker, inventors of the James River batteau, which superseded the double dugout canoe and rolling road for transporting tobacco hogsheads. These long (about 50 or 60 feet), double-ended vessels dominated . . . — Map (db m46342) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Amherst — R-21 — Rucker’s Chapel
Nearby stood Rucker’s Chapel, one of the first Anglican (present-day Episcopal) churches in Amherst County. Also known as Harris Creek Church and later as St. Matthew’s, the church was founded by Col. Ambrose Rucker before 1751. It stood on . . . — Map (db m46350) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Buena Vista — Z-138 — Amherst County / Rockbridge CountyArea 470 Square Miles / Area 616 Square Miles
Amherst County. Formed in 1781 from Albemarle, and named for Jeffrey, Lord Amherst, British commander in the French and Indian War. Balcony Falls are in this county. Rockbridge County. Formed in 1778 from Augusta and Botetourt, and . . . — Map (db m49888) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Buena Vista — R-59 — Constitution Forest
In 1938, the celebration of the 150th anniversary of the United States Constitution, the Virginia Daughters of the American Revolution sponsored the planting of Constitution Forest in this area. With the help of the Civilian Conservation . . . — Map (db m49885) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Clifford — R-60 — Grave of Patrick Henry’s Mother
In the grove of trees some hundreds of yards to the west is the grave of Sarah Winston (Henry), mother of Patrick Henry, who died in November, 1784. — Map (db m41616) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Madison Heights — Z-17 — Amherst County / Campbell CountyArea 470 Square Miles / Area 557 Square Miles
  Amherst County. Formed in 1761 from Albemarle, and named for Jeffrey, Lord Amherst, British commander in the French and Indian War. Balcony Falls are in this county. Campbell County. Formed in 1781 from Bedford, and named for General . . . — Map (db m46431) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Madison Heights — K-148 — Buffalo Lick Plantation
Patented in 1742 by John Bolling, Jr., the 2,735-acre Buffalo Lick Plantation tract along the James River includes three notable historic sites. One mile southeast stand the ruins of Mount Athos, the home of William J. Lewis, an officer in . . . — Map (db m46354) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Madison Heights — I-5 — Central Virginia Training Center
Established in 1910 as the Virginia State Epileptic Colony, the center admitted its first patients in May 1911. The facility originally served persons with epilepsy and began accepting individuals with mental retardation in 1913. Due to the new . . . — Map (db m46394) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Madison Heights — R-4 — Lynchburg Defenses
During the Civil War, a line of trenches and fortified artillery positions extending past here were built late in 1863 to defend Lynchburg against attack from the north. Brig. Gen. Francis T. Nicholls was responsible for ensuring that the local . . . — Map (db m46352) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Madison Heights — Williams Viaduct
This bridge was erected by Norfolk & Western Railway Co., Chesepeake & Ohio Railway Co., Southern Railway Co., City of Lynchburg, Va. Begun 1916. Completed 1918. Bridge Commissioners Ernest Williams, Chairman; William King, Jr.; John P. Pettyjohn. — Map (db m46534) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Sweet Briar — R-20 — Sweet Briar CollegeChartered 1901
This liberal arts college for women, opened in 1906, granted its first Bachelor of Arts degrees in 1910. Established under the will of Indiana Fletcher Williams as a memorial to her only daughter, Daisy, the college is located on a 2800-acre tract . . . — Map (db m86140) HM
Virginia (Appomattox County), Concord — K-152 — Concord Depot
The South Side Railroad provided service at Concord in 1854 when the track was completed from Petersburg to Lynchburg. During the Civil War, these rail lines were important for transporting troops and supplies. On 11 June, seven days before the . . . — Map (db m64027) HM
Virginia (Appomattox County), Vera — MG-3 — Thomas S. Bocock
Thomas S. Bocock, lawyer and politician, was born in present-day Appomattox Co. (then part of Buckingham Co.) on 18 May 1815. In 1846, he was elected to the U. S. House of Representatives and served there until 1861. In 1859, Bocock was . . . — Map (db m64026) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — Alcova
The oldest part of this house may date from 1836 when John M. Young, a Washington wheelright and carriage maker, purchased the farm from Thomas Hodges, planted a large orchard and used the place as a summer home. In 1905, the farm was acquired by . . . — Map (db m884) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — C-7 — Orville Wright’s First Virginia Flight
Orville Wright made his first heavier-than air flight in Virginia at Fort Myer for the U.S. Army on 3 Sept. 1908. He flew the plane slightly more than a minute, reaching a speed of 40 miles per hour. During the next two weeks here, Wright broke . . . — Map (db m108126) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — C-2 — World’s First Public Passenger Flight
On September 9, 1908, near this site, Orville Wright carried aloft in public his first passenger, Lt. Frank P. Lahm, for a flight lasting 6 minutes and 24 seconds. Three days later, he took Major George O. Squier on a flight of 9 minutes and . . . — Map (db m108151) HM
Virginia (Augusta County), Churchville — W-227 — Colonel George Moffett
George Moffett (1735–1811), a prominent regional military and civic leader, had joined the Augusta County militia by 1758. He participated in the French and Indian War (1756–1763), led a militia company at the Battle of Point Pleasant in . . . — Map (db m30460) HM
Virginia (Augusta County), Churchville — W-79 — Last Indian Clash
Near this spot in 1764, Shawnee Indians killed John Tremble (Trimble) in the last such event in Augusta County. During the preceding decade, a series of conflicts between Native Americans and European settlers occurred along the western frontier of . . . — Map (db m30461) HM
Virginia (Augusta County), Churchville — W-226 — Mount Pleasant
Mount Pleasant, a venerable stone dwelling exemplifying traditional Shenandoah Valley domestic architecture, was erected on the 1740 land grant to John Moffett from King George II. Originally known as Moffetts Bottom, early probate records reflect a . . . — Map (db m30448) HM
Virginia (Augusta County), Fishersville — I-18 — Woodrow Wilson Rehabilitation Center
In 1947 the Woodrow Wilson Rehabilitation Center became the first state comprehensive rehabilitation center in the United States. Operated by the Virginia Department of Rehabilitative Services, this residential facility offers various . . . — Map (db m50617) HM
Virginia (Augusta County), Fort Defiance — A-100 — Augusta Military Academy
Soon after the Civil War ended in 1865, Confederate veteran Charles S. Roller began teaching at the Old Stone Church nearby at Ft. Defiance. By 1874 he had founded Augusta Male Academy and incorporated military discipline into its classical . . . — Map (db m11900) HM
Virginia (Augusta County), Fort Defiance — A-118 — Augusta Stone Church
The Augusta Stone Church, Virginia's oldest Presbyterian church in continuous use west of the Blue Ridge Mountains, opened on 22 January 1749. It replaced a log meetinghouse build shortly after the congregation's founding in 1740. At the outbreak of . . . — Map (db m89105) HM
Virginia (Augusta County), Fort Defiance — Augusta Stone Church
This, the oldest Presbyterian house of worship in Virginia, is an eloquent memorial to the liberty-loving, god-fearing Scotch-Irish folk who first settled this part of the valley. Through their arduous labors the building was completed in 1747 . . . — Map (db m89111) HM
Virginia (Augusta County), Fort Defiance — A-119 — The Rev. John Craig(1709–1774)
John Craig, born in County Antrim, Ireland, ad educated in Edinburgh, Scotland, immigrated to America in 1734. Ordained pastor in 1740 of the two churches known as Augusta Stone and Tinkling Sprint, Craig was Virginia's first settled Presbyterian . . . — Map (db m89107) HM
Virginia (Augusta County), Middlebrook — A-101 — Middlebrook Historic District
Nestled here in the countryside south of Staunton, along historic Middlebrook Road, is one of the oldest villages in the region. William and Nancy Scott sold the first 27 lots in April 1799 to Scots-Irish and German settlers. In 1851, . . . — Map (db m50388) HM
Virginia (Augusta County), Middlebrook — A-106 — Mount Tabor Lutheran Church
Shenandoah Valley circuit-riding preacher Paul Henkel formed Mount Tabor Lutheran Church about 1785, several miles to the east. It shared a log building with St. John’s, a Lutheran and Reformed union congregation. Under the direction of David . . . — Map (db m50578) HM
Virginia (Augusta County), Middlebrook — Virginia Institute
Near this spot stood the frame dwelling of David Frederick Bittle, pastor of Mt. Tabor Lutheran Church, in which he began in the Fall of 1842, with the assistance of Christopher C. Baughman, also a Lutheran minister, a school for young men called . . . — Map (db m50575) HM
Virginia (Augusta County), Mint Spring — Avenue of Trees
This Avenue of Trees, sponsored by Clemmer-McGuffin Post 13, American Legion and Auxiliary, was given in loving memory by the people of Staunton and Augusta County in memoriam 1917-1918. — Map (db m50605) HM
Virginia (Augusta County), Mount Solon — W-241 — Stokesville
The village of Stokesville, established by 1901, became a boomtown after the Chesapeake Western Railway was extended here in 1902. Tram lines into the mountains brought timber to the rail head. Lumber mills, bark tanneries, a stave and heading . . . — Map (db m98139) HM
Virginia (Augusta County), Mt. Sidney — A-102 — Salem Evangelical Lutheran Church
Salem Evangelical Lutheran Church traces its existence to 1789 when Shenandoah Valley circuit preacher Paul Henkel held services for the German community in a schoolhouse nearby at Seawright Springs. By 1805, the congregation had built a frame . . . — Map (db m30445) HM
Virginia (Augusta County), Staunton — W-231 — Augusta County Training School
A rural African-American school stood here by 1874. In 1927 a two-room elementary school serving Cedar Green and Smokey Row communities was built. The Augusta County Training School (Cedar Green School), the county’s first black consolidated school, . . . — Map (db m59711) HM
Virginia (Augusta County), Verona — W-234 — Grandma Moses in Augusta County
Newlyweds Anna Mary Robertson Moses (later knows as Grandma Moses) and her husband Thomas arrived in Augusta County from New York in 1887. renting several farms before purchasing Mt. Airy, a large brick Federal style house built in 1880. The . . . — Map (db m77511) HM
Virginia (Augusta County), Verona — A-99 — Willow Spout
Here stood, from the early 19th century until the mid-1900s, the tavern and stagecoach stop first owned by Peter Hanger. In 1848 its second proprietor, Samuel Harnsbarger, planted a willow tree in a spring here, across the newly-constructed Valley . . . — Map (db m11811) HM
Virginia (Augusta County), Waynesboro — Z-111 — Nelson County / Augusta County
Nelson County. Nelson County was named for Thomas Nelson, Governor of Virginia from June to November, 1871. It was formed in 1807 from Amherst County. Oak Ridge, birthplace of William Cabell Rives and later the residence of Thomas Fortune Ryan, . . . — Map (db m21701) HM
Virginia (Augusta County), West Augusta — Z-110 — Highland County / Augusta CountyArea 422 Square Miles / Area 1006 Square Miles
Highland County. Formed in 1847 from Pendleton and Bath, and given its name because of its mountains. The Battle of McDowell, 1862, was fought in this county. Augusta County. Formed in 1738 from Orange and named for Augusta, Princess of . . . — Map (db m30389) HM
Virginia (Augusta County), Weyers Cave — Future Farmers of America
One mile west at Weyers Cave on April 30, 1927, twenty-eight students of vocational agriculture formed the Future Farmers of Virginia which became the Future Farmers of America in 1928 at Kansas City. The organization has grown to include all of the . . . — Map (db m30414) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Bacova — D-37 — Bacova
The Tidewater Hardwood Company built a lumber mill and company town here, 192–1922, naming it Bacova, a contraction for Bath Co., Va. Narrow-gauge railroads brought the logs to the mill. The company paid workers in scrip redeemable for rent, . . . — Map (db m70219) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Bacova — Q-5 — Fort Dinwiddie
Known also as Byrd’s Fort and Warwick’s Fort. Probably built in 1755, it was visited that year by George Washington. — Map (db m30366) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Falling Spring — Falling Spring Falls
Welcome to Falling Spring Falls in the Heart of the Alleghany Highlands. According to the book, “Historical Sketches of the Alleghany Highlands” by Gay Arritt, 82 acres of land including, the Falling Spring Falls was granted by . . . — Map (db m77494) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Hot Springs — Q-33 — Garth Newel
Artist William Sergeant Kendall (1869–1938) and his wife Christine Herter Kendall (1890–1981) built this house soon after they arrived in Virginia in 1922. Garth Newel, Welsh for “New Home,” served as their residence and . . . — Map (db m69747) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Hot Springs — Q-34 — Letitia Pate Whitehead Evans(1870–1953)
Born In Thaxton, Bedford County, Lettie Pate Whitehead Evans played a major role In the early distribution of bottled Coca-Cola. She was one of the first women members of the board of directors of a major American corporation, serving on the . . . — Map (db m69922) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Hot Springs — Virginia Hot Springs Company World War Memorial
Erected 1920 by the Virginia Hot Springs Company commemorating the planting of trees along this boulevard. A memorial of patriotism and a tribute of honor to the employees of this Company and the men of Bath County who in 1917 and 1918 served in . . . — Map (db m69930) WM
Virginia (Bath County), Millboro — D-24 — Fort Lewis
Col. Charles Lewis, younger brother of Gen. Andrew Lewis, acquired 950 acres of land on the Cowpasture River in June 1750. Nearby, Fort Lewis, a small stockade, initially under the command of then Capt. Charles Lewis, was constructed by 1756 to . . . — Map (db m30469) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Millboro — Q-14 — Millboro
Millboro began as a settlement around Cady’s Tunnel, built by the Central Virginia Railroad. By 1856 the tracks extended from Richmond to Cabin Creek nearby. During the Civil War, Confederate soldiers marched westward down the old Crooked Spur . . . — Map (db m69537) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Millboro — Q-36 — T. C. Walker School
T.C. Walker School, which opened in 1930, was named for Thomas Calhoun Walker a former slave from Gloucester County who became the first African American attorney in Virginia. It cost $4,600, and was underwritten with $500 from the Julius Rosenwald . . . — Map (db m69471) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Millboro Springs — D-43 — Camp Mont Shenandoah
Nannie Crump West, Christian missionary and youth advocate, founded Camp Mont Shenandoah in 1927 for girls from Virginia’s elite families. This residential summer camp, like others established along the Cowpasture River early in the 20th . . . — Map (db m107846) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Millboro Springs — KB-75 — Fort Dickinson
The site was about one-half mile north of the river. This was one of a chain of frontier forts ordered erected by the Virginia legislature early in 1756. The chain extended from Hampshire County (now West Virginia) to Patrick County on the North . . . — Map (db m77510) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Mountain Grove — Q-15 — Mountain Grove
The Mountain Grove community grew up around William Gatewood’s plantation in the early 19th century. During the Civil War. Brig. Gen. William W. Averell’s Federal cavalry attacked from newly created West Virginia late in 1863 and fought with . . . — Map (db m70233) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Thomastown — Q-37 — Union Hurst School
Union Hurst, a school for African Americans, was built near here on Pine Hurst Heights Road between 1924 and 1925. The school was built with the assistance of the Julius Rosenwald Fund, a program that helped build some 5,000 schools for African . . . — Map (db m70245) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Warm Springs — Q-35 — Mary Johnston(1870 – 1936)
Mary Johnston, a novelist, historian, playwright, suffragist, and social advocate, lived here at Three Hills. Born in Botetourt County, Johnston published 23 novels between l898 and l936 and became the first woman to top best-seller lists in . . . — Map (db m69596) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Warm Springs — D-35 — The County Seat of Bath
After 112 years in buildings near the Warm Springs mineral baths a mile northeast, the Bath County Court moved to this site in 1908. The architect, Frank P. Milburn, predicted the new courthouse would be “an honor and ornament to Bath . . . — Map (db m30491) HM
Virginia (Bedford County), Bedford — KM-5 — Quaker Baptist Church
A Quaker Meeting was established on Goose Creek in 1757, and a meeting house built. Fear of Indians caused most of the Quakers to move elsewhere though some of them returned. Unsuccessful attempts were made to re-establish the Goose Creek Meeting. . . . — Map (db m65610) HM
Virginia (Bedford County), Huddleston — K-161 — Smith Mountain LakeBedford County
Appalachian Power Company constructed Smith Mountain and Leesville Dams between 1960 and 1963 to generate hydroelectric energy. The waters of the Roanoke and Blackwater Rivers formed Smith Mountain Lake, one of two resulting reservoirs, which . . . — Map (db m104439) HM
Virginia (Bedford County), Timberlake — K-135 — Callaway–Steptoe Cemetery
Nearby are buried several prominent area settlers and their descendants. Col. William Callaway, in 1755 one of the first two members of the Virginia House of Burgesses from Bedford County, donated the hundred acres of land on which the town of New . . . — Map (db m65605) HM
Virginia (Bland County), Bland — KC-1 — Bland
The community center was first known as Crab Orchard. The place became the county seat of Bland County when it was formed in 1861 under the name of Seddon, which was later changed to that of the county. At Rocky Gap a skirmish was fought in Crook’s . . . — Map (db m44855) HM
Virginia (Bland County), Bland — KC-3 — One of the “Big Four”
Here is the home of S. H. Newberry, who, with three others, composed the “Big Four” in the Virginia Senate. These four men united to defeat objectionable measures of the Readjuster Movement. — Map (db m43138) HM
Virginia (Bland County), Ceres — KC-5 — Henry C. Groseclose
Henry Casper Groseclose (1892–1950), a native of Ceres, was one of the founders of Future Farmers of Virginia (FFV). While teaching agricultural education at Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Groseclose, Walter Newman, Edmund Magill, and . . . — Map (db m44219) HM
Virginia (Bland County), Rocky Gap — KC-2 — A Noted Preacher
William Elbert Munsey was born a few miles east in the mountains of Giles (present-day Bland) County on 13 July 1833. Despite little formal schooling, Munsey possessed an insatiable appetite for knowledge. He entered the ministry of the . . . — Map (db m44810) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Blue Ridge — Z-68 — Botetourt County / Bedford CountyArea 548 Square Miles / Area 791 Square Miles
Botetourt County. Formed in 1769 from Augusta, and named for Lord Botetourt, Governor of Virginia, 1768–1770. Buchanan was the western terminus of the noted James River and Kanawha Canal. Bedford County. Formed in 1753 from . . . — Map (db m57734) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Fincastle — D-39 — Botetourt County Courthouse Fire
On 15 December 1970, fire gutted the 1848 Greek Revival-style Botetourt County courthouse. Amid the charred wreckage, in a secure vault, the county’s historic records fortunately survived almost unharmed. Because of the near-loss of the . . . — Map (db m84188) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Fincastle — D-33 — Breckinridge Mill
Breckingridge Mill is a rare survivor of the grain and milling industry that figured significantly in the economy of antebellum Virginia. The three-and-a-half story brick structure was erected in 1822 for James Breckinridge, and is one of the oldest . . . — Map (db m84225) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Fincastle — D-28 — Fincastle
Miller’s place here was selected as the county seat of Botetourt in 1770. In 1772 the town of Fincastle was established on land donated by Israel Christian and named for Lord Fincastle, eldest son of Governor Lord Dunmore. It was incorporated in . . . — Map (db m84192) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Fincastle — D-32 — Santillane
Near here is Santillane, one of Botetourt County’s most distinguished properties. The Greek Revival house sits on a tract of land originally owned by Colonel George Hancock, a member of the United States Congress from 1793-1797. In 1808 . . . — Map (db m84203) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Flatwoods — D-31 — Roanoke Valley Baptist Association
The (Roanoke) Valley Baptist Association was organized on 7 August 1841 at nearby Zion Hill Baptist Church. Seventeen congregations constituted the original fellowship of churches; during the next century and a half membership grew to more than . . . — Map (db m84226) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Harvey — A-48 — Audley Paul’s Fort
Nearby stood Capt. Audley Paul’s fort. built in 1757 during the French and Indian War (1754-1763) as one in a series of fortifications to protect Virginia's frontier. Paul served as a lieutenant in Maj. Gen. Edward Braddock’s ill-fated . . . — Map (db m43110) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Hedgesville — Hedgesville
Site of stockade fort built during the early Indian wars. Mt. Zion Episcopal Church was built soon after. A mile west is the tavern, built, 1740–1750, by Robert Snodgrass on land patented in 1732 by William Snodgrass, pioneer settler. — Map (db m990) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Boydville
Built, 1812, by Elisha Boyd, general in the War of 1812, on land bought from Gen. Adam Stephen. Mansion noted for its fine workmanship. Home of his son-in-law, Charles J. Faulkner, Minister to France, and his grandson, U.S. Senator Faulkner. — Map (db m983) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Martinsburg
Founded, 1778, by Gen. Adam Stephen. Named for Thomas Martin, nephew of Lord Fairfax. Home of Admirals Charles Boarman and C.K. Stribling. Locomotives seized here, 1861, in Jackson’s raid were drawn by horses to Winchester, Va. — Map (db m1973) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Site of Belle Boyd Home
Famous Confederate Spy. Here on July 4, 1861, Belle Boyd, at the age of 17, shot and killed a Union soldier. She was imprisoned on several occasions as a result of her later spying activities. — Map (db m982) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsville — Swan Pond Manor
1.5 miles north is Swan Pond Manor, a 2,000 acre retreat set aside in 1745 for use by Thomas, Lord Fairfax, once the proprietor of the Northern Neck of Virginia who established an estate at Greenway Court, Frederick County in 1738. So named because . . . — Map (db m92579) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Nollville — Tuscarora Church
Tuscarora Presbyterian Church, which was built before 1745 by Scotch-Irish Presbyterians. Rev. Hugh Vance, first pastor, is buried here. During Indian days, worshipers hung their guns on pegs in the walls while they sang and prayed. — Map (db m92578) HM

1954 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1754
Paid Advertisement